Chapter 4

I Don't Know

 

JeongMo cupid plan vs. Nayeon’s cupid plan.

Nayeon didn’t want to admit it, But it seems like JeongMo those two knuckleheads has more luck trying to pair up, coldhearted Myoui Mina and ADD child Son Chaeyoung, than her with Scary Tzuyu and Sana.

She could only blame it on one thing. She was just too beautiful that Sana can’t get over her that quick.

But she had to for the sake of her beautiful face, if not Tzuyu would make a canvas out of it.

So, right now, as she and her friends are doing some Christmas shopping, she observes and takes note what the two do to melt the heart of one icy Myoui Mina.

JeongMo’s cupid plan: The more you love, the more you hate.

 

Annoy Mina with countless teasing of Chaeyoung, until Mina is unconsciously thinking of Chaeyoung.

“So Minari…” Momo nudges Mina with her Cheetos stained finger “Why so quiet dude?”

“Do you miss your baby?” Jeongyeon troll peeps out, bobbing her brow.

Grrrrrr…

“I don’t miss Chaeyoung…” Mina instantly snaps back.

“Chaeyoung? Who said anything about Chaeyoung?”

“Yes… I was saying do you miss your baby sister, you know Sakura.”

Mina looks like she was caught by her parents reading . Her face bright red and she remained still. But it was too late, her friends already caught her expression and Jeongmo have mentally highfive each other for their success.

“Don’t mess with me," Mina snarls back “I know you two meant Chaeyoung.”

“No we did not… we weren’t even THINKING of her.”

And Jeongyeon just had to snicker inside as she saw the stunned look on Mina’s face.

“Well… ummm…. Ahhhh…”

“Whoah…” Momo says in wonder.

The rest of the girls turn and sees a chicken mascot dancing gangman style in the middle of the mall. But if that’s not enough, the chicken was now doing the worm. and people were starting to gather around, videoing him or her. This chicken is going to be a youtube sensation and put Psy gangnam style to the gutters.

Then, out of nowhere the chicken starts jumping up and down happily at the sight of them.

“Did it just got excited out of nowhere?”

“Maybe it realize that it’s a chicken and she’s about to get fried anytime.”

“Or her kids… those poor eggs… didn’t even have the chance to see the light of day.”

Jeongyeon and Momo shakes their head, pitying the poor chicken.

“IT’S A MASCOT! IT’S NOT A REAL CHICKEN! THERE’S A PERSON UNDERNEATH IT… GEEZ!”

Mina quickly shakes her head when the over excited chicken somehow reminded her of someone. A certain someone who seems to be so busy nowadays.

Hmmm… maybe Chaeyoung have finally realize that all her feelings for Mina was just a childish crush and move on to annoy somebody. But somehow that thought didn’t mesh so well in Mina’s head. But isn’t that what she wants to happen? For Chaeyoung to move on and leave her alone?

Mina just groan as she continue to have debate internally. She turns her attention to the display on the window, hoping it would shake off the thoughts in her head. She was concentrating so hard on the dress on the window that she didn’t notice a giant chicken was now bouncing towards her.

Boing… Boing…Boing… Is the sound of the giant chicken hopping over to her.

And Toink… Mina goes down as the chicken mascot just bumps her in the hip.

“What the?” But before Mina could snap at the chicken she knows she would look totally ridiculous if people sees her arguing with a chicken.

“HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!” The gigantic chicken waves her equally gigantic wing at Mina. “Did you miss me?”

Mina should have known… there can only be one person in the world who could be this bouncy. The chicken mascot took off her head and what do you know… Mina’s guess was right…

“Chaeyoung…” Mina growls her name…

“Hi y bear…”

“Pffft… y bear?”

The three friends gave each other this playful teasing look that Mina doesn’t find amusing.

“You guys hush… Why are you in a chicken suit?”

“I took a part time job for Christmas break.” Chaeyoung announces proudly “I’m saving for our future.”

Chaeyoung bats her lashes cutely, and the sight of that reminds Mina of this old cartoon of a skunk who tries to romance this cat.

“F-future?” That word was enough to stun Mina.

“Awwwwww….”

Chaeyoung might not charm Mina but she sure charm the other girls.

“Yes… never too early to start… so where are you guys going?”

“Christmas shopping…”

“I’ll come with you!” Chaeyoung says hurriedly trying to grab Mina’s hand with her wing.

“Remember our deal…” Mina quickly pulls her hand away.

“Yes I do… but our deal is we can’t hold hands, not that we can’t hold my wing.”

The three girls turn their gaze down, not wanting to point to their friend about her loss.

“Don’t you have work?”

“It’s my break… so come on… time’s a wasting…”

“You’re such a kid.” Mina shakes her head before turning to her friends.

Her friends that she swore were here a few minutes ago.

“God Damn it…” Mina grabs her phone off her purse and starts texting her friends in ALL CAPS.

To: Nayeon, Momo and Jeongyeon
WHERE THE BEEEP ARE YOU?!

But she needs answers quick, and waiting for a text is not cutting it. So, she hurriedly dial their numbers.

“Damn!” Mina growls as no one from the other line picked up. “Damn it!”

“So, I guess it’s just you and me now.”

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH…

Mina turns around and stomps away, followed by Chaeyoung skipping beside her.

Unknown to the two girls there are three others keeping a close watch on them. They could practically see the steam blowing off Mina’s ears as she walks with the chicken.

*

Why is this situation with Sana so hard for Tzuyu?

Oh yeah… she almost forgot… She was so used to people just groveling at her feet, but not this time. Sana won’t even look at her, unless of course she’s giving her coffee. That’s why Tzuyu is always there, ordering coffee just to have that split second moment with Sana.

And even with Nayeon’s help it seem like nothing is going right between the two. So, today, Tzuyu swore that would change.

She red it in a magazine say something positive… it brightens up a person’s day and by the end of the day, people remember the good thing that someone said to them.

And that’s her goal.. to make Sana remember her…

So, right now as she was standing by the counter. She needed to say something positive… She looks around what is positive? She don’t know anything positive…

Hmmm… the coffee? Sana? Sana is positive…

The coffee is good? Sana is good? What? What?”

"Here’s your coffee…” Sana hands the coffee cup to Tzuyu…

“Thanks” Shiz… Tzuyu cursed inwardly after missing her chance. “Ummm… Sana…”

“Huh?”

“The ummm… ahhh…” Tzuyu looks around for something to compliment. “Your cash register look cool.”

Cash register? Really Tzuyu?

“Oh… I never heard anybody talk about our cash register… that’s… that’s cool… thanks…”

“Sure..”

Tzuyu walks away, hoping her positive action works.

“OMO!”

Usually nothing stops Tzuyu but Tzuyu turned back anyway.

“HELP!!! HE’S CHOKING ON A BISCOTTI!!!!”

Sana, being the manager of the coffeeshop, needs to do damage control before anything.

“Call for help!” Sana commanded one of the barista as she jumps out of the counter to do something.

“Oh no you di-int…” Tzuyu growls, her eyesight darkens as she sees Sana giving the person a backhug.

Sana was giving the person a Heimlich maneuver.

“OH NO!! He lost consciousness!”

Sana’s brain is getting rattled, but she had no choice but to give the person a CPR…

A CPR that for Tzuyu looks like a kiss…

OH HELL NO!!!!”

Tzuyu jumps in before Sana could even try anything. She elbows the guy on the gut, making the biscotti spew out of his mouth.

The unconscious guy gave one big gasp until he starts coughing…

“You…”

Tzuyu looks and the girl pointing at her with shaky fingers.

“You save his life…” She says thankfully.

“What?”

“CHOU TZUYU IS A HERO!!!!!!”

“Wait…”

And before Tzuyu could say anything people are standing up giving her a standing ovation, clapping slowly…

“Ahhh well…”

*

“People are looking at you,” Mina growls in embarrassment as everyone just have to turn and look at her and the giant chicken. “Go to the bathroom and take off that ridiculous suit.”

“I can’t.”

“And why not?”

Chaeyoung leans closer, looking cautiously as if careful not to reveal her secret.

“I got too hot so I took off my clothes, I only have my undershirt and boxers on,” Chaeyoung whispers, followed by her fluttering of eyelashes… This was one of her unconcious habits, that Mina couldn't help but admit was pretty damn cute.

“God…” Mina says irritatingly… “You should have at least change.”

“But I don’t want to waste another second without you,” Chaeyoung pouts… “Would you stay if I change?”

“I might…”

“No you won’t,” Chaeyoung grumbles “You might leave me, I don’t want you to leave me.”

Chaeyoung shakes her head and frowns at that thought.

“I won’t…” Mina growls…

“Yes you would…” Chaeyoung stomps her chicken feet like a child

“Fine! Stay like that! Stay like a chicken in a freaking mall!”

*

It was the third store that she and Mina went in. Chaeyoung wasn’t really much of a shopper, instead she uses her allowance to buy food, never clothes or anything girly like that.

So, when Mina walk in to the third clothing store that for Chaeyoung felt like the same kind as the other two, Chaeyoung was immediately bored.

“Were going to have a Christmas party for the student government as the president I need to look presentable… And if you don’t want to stay, then go…”

Chaeyoung wanted so bad to whine, but she shuts up, knowing she might annoy Mina and Mina might shoo her off.

“I don’t think it matters what you wear.”

“Hmmm?”

“Because you will always look beautiful.”

“Pfft… You just say that…”

“No you are… like yesterday in class, there is these two girls talking about how pretty you are…”

Mina turns and looks at Chaeyoung who looks excited to say the story.

“I raised my hand and told them… You’re my girlfriend…”

“And?”

Chaeyoung frowns as she remembers what the other girls reactions were. “They laugh at my face…Said I was delusional…”

“What you say?” Mina asks in amusement, although its feels kinda rude to laugh about the younger girl’s misery.

“I told them that’s okay but they shouldn’t expect that they’re going to be invited to our wedding.”

Mina just ends up pursing her lips to stop herself from laughing.

“Really?”

“And I gave them a headbutt… They werent’ talking anymore after that…” Chaeyoung scoffs confidently.

“After you find a dress, can we do something fun?”

Mina don’t really seem to agree about Chaeyoung’s idea of fun.

“Maybe… but you have to change first…”

“A dress?” Chaeyoung doesn’t approve of it.

“Yes…”

“I don’t like dresses…”

“But I’m paying for it so you have no choice…”

Chaeyoung quickly frowns, she likes her hoodies and track suits, not the girly things like this. Her frown only got worse when Mina picks a flowery dress. It so not her style.

“Here… go to the dressing room and try it on…”

Chaeyoung scoffs before crossing her wings together “No…”

“Yes.”

“Nooo.”

“What? you would rather wear a chicken suit than a dress?”

“Well… ummm… It would take too much time if I change.”

Mina thinks that Chaeyoung was just a kid who enjoys wearing costumes and now she had enough of dealing with her.

“Fine… stay that way…”

Mina walks away fast, purposely ignoring Chaeyoung.

*

“Minaiii… let’s race!”

Chaeyoung grabs on Mina’s hand and excitedly drags Mina to the arcade. Mina havent been in one for years and has no planning going inside, especially with a chicken.

“No…”

“But it’s fun… c’mon I will let you win…”

Mina spun around and narrowed her eyes at Chaeyoung.

“No.”

“Come on! Come on!” Chaeyoung says excitedly “It’s so cool… you can design your own car!”

But Mina remains glued to her spot, looking so annoyed.

“C’mon… please?” Chaeyoung says pleadingly…

“Don’t talk to me you overgrown bird!”

Mina stares and could see that Chaeyoung started to get all teary eyed and her lips quivering like she’s about to cry any second.

Chaeyoung quickly covers her face with her wings.

“What?” Mina tries to peer beneath the white wings “Are you crying?”

Chaeyoung shakes her head even if it was obvious she was crying because of the huhuhu sound she’s making.

“Yes.. you are!”

“No… I’m not…”

“Why are you crying?”

“Because I made you mad…” Chaeyoung says tearfully…

“Really?” Mina raised her brow.

Mina takes a deep breath to calm herself. This was the reason she doesn’t want to be in relationships because of the baggage and emotion that goes along with it.

If her old self could see her now, she would definitely ROFL and LMAO and LOL as well at who she’s stuck with… Her ideal type was someone mature and confident, although Chaeyoung has confidence too much of it, but mature? Chaeyoung needs some serious growing up to do…

But making Chaeyoung cry, feels like when you make a child cry. You get satisfaction for a little bit, then end up feeling guilty, doing anything you can to pacify the tears.

“Yes… if I made you mad, you will break up with me… and if you break up with me I don’t know how I can live anymore.”

It sounded so cheesy, but Mina realize that that’s just how Chaeyoung is, she’s passionate and too innocent for her own good.

“No you didn’t…” Mina groans, pulling Chaeyoung’s wing down… "Fine… let’s… let’s play…”

“You’re not mad at me anymore?” Chaeyoung says through her sniffles.

Irritated… annoyed… homicidal… suicidal…

“No… I’m not… now let’s get this over with.”

“YES!!!!”

And Mina quickly regrets her decision when Chaeyoung starts flapping her wings excitedly.

*

“You will never survive in the real world! You just jump over a freeway… that’s not realistic!”

“BOOHOO MINA YOU LOSE… Get over it! Oh… here’s the next place I wanted to go…”

Mina looks surprise as she saw Chaeyoung taking her into the bookstore. Maybe underneath the choding is a booklover, who’s just like her addicted to every kind of books.

Mina followed Chaeyoung to the bookstore, and Mina was surprised that Chaeyoung seems to be familiar with the bookstore. Maybe they do have something in common…

Now Mina wonders what kinds of books Chaeyoung reads…

They pass by the mystery section, romance section, kids section, young adults section.

But in the end, Mina should have figured out what Chaeyoung would have wanted to read…

“I should have known…”

Mina just shook her head in disbelief as Chaeyoung brought her to the manga section of the bookstore.

“Are you going to buy one?”

“NOPE! There are free ones on the internet…”

*

It was Mina’s choice for the next shop they went into…

The two went into a gift shop and Chaeyoung trailed Mina to the back of the store, careful that she don’t move around too much and break anything. Mina wonders if bringing a accident prone kid there is a good idea.

“Mmmmm… that smell makes me hungry…” Chaeyoung pats her stomach as she took a whiff of a cinnamon bun.

“It’s this”

Mina shoves a cinnabun looking candle in Chaeyoung’s face, startling the other girl. Mina ended up chuckling at the sight of Chaeyoung rubbing her nose to get the smell out.

“You like candles?”

“I collect them.”

Chaeyoung stares at the different candles with those pastry aromas designed like cinnabon, apple pies and much more.

But before Chaeyoung can reply, Mina’s phone starts ringing.

Mina stares at the ringing contraption for a little bit, unsure of whether to pick it up. Because in all honesty, today was pretty fun with Chaeyoung, but she knows her friends would hound her if she ignores their call.

“Hello? Were were you guys?! Yeah whatever… We’ll be there…”

Somehow the word we made Chaeyoung blush.

“The girls are about to eat lunch… let’s go…”

“You’re not buying it?”

“No… I’m buying people’s Christmas gifts first… I’ll buy it later…”
*

“I have to go back to work.” Chaeyoung pouts in disappointment as she drops Mina off to the Chinese restaurant with her friends.

“Okay.” Mina says blankly, though she has to admit that she did have fun with Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung puts on her chicken head back before waving her wing at Mina. But just when Mina was about to walk in the cafe, she felt the chicken’s beak on her cheek.

She had no idea what the hell was happening until Chaeyoung squealed underneath her chicken mascot.

“I kissed you.”

Technically, the chicken kissed her…. But it didn’t matter for Chaeyoung… Meanwhile Mina have wanted to smack the chicken for it.

“Go before I tie you up and send you to KFC to get fried.”

*

Mina wasn’t a big fan of Chinese food, for her they’re the same things only named differently. but obviously all her friends were. But she does enjoy or more of mocking her fortune on those fortune cookies. It always amuse her how it seem to tell her something that doesn’t even relate to her life.

When the waitress lays their check along with their fortune cookies, Mina quickly grab hers before Momo could even lie and said that the waitress just gave them three.

She breaks her fortune cookie and for once didn’t find her fortune funny.

Sometimes the person you really need, is the one you never thought you wanted.

“So, what you got Minari?”

“Nothing…” Mina quickly denies while stuffing her fortune in her pocket…

The girls exchange weird looks, they are so used to Mina just balling up her fortune and leaving it on the table. But why would she stuff it in her pocket now?

*

Mina never thought that Chaeyoung could ever run out of energy but from the second floor she could see it. Chaeyoung would just stand there and when people pass by, she would suddenly start dancing.

“Minari?!”

“Huh?” Mina finally turns away from the chicken and at her friends.

“Were going to the karaoke, want to come along?”

“Ummm yeah sure…” Mina answered while she looks back at the chicken.

It didn't take more than a few seconds for the chicken to look up, catching Mina's gaze. Mina smiles back at her, raising her hand to wave softly.

She chuckles softly as the chicken presses her wings to her chest and starts spinning around as if she was hit by cupid.

Mina’s friends were about to ask her why was she smiling. But when they saw the reason for her smile, they decided to leave it alone.

Sometimes actions speaks louder than words… and Mina is a perfect example of it.

Sometimes the person you really need, is the one you never thought you wanted.

*

“Unnieeeee…”

Chaeyoung walks in to her sister’s coffeeshop and saw her unnie wiping the cash register with such determination.

“Why are you cleaning the register?”

“I just… well… I just feel like it…”

“You ready to go home? We got some left over fried chicken and my boss gave it to me…”

“Cool…I thought you got off earlier?”

“I did I just had to drop by something in my girlfriend’s house.”

Sana let out a sigh as she and her sister walks out of the shop.

“Here…”

Chaeyoung turns and her unnie was there, handing her a cup of hot choco.

“Thanks unnie.”

The two silently enjoyed their peace, until Sana breaks the quiet.

“You know I have known Mina since we were in high school. We were never close, but I know she’s a good person. But I do hear she breaks hearts.”

Chaeyoung knew that her unnie is just being a good unnie giving her a warning about the worst pain known to man… the pain of a heartache…

Chaeyoung just stared up in the starry sky, her lips breaking into a soft smile because she only know one thing for certain…

“Well, if she’s going to break someone’s heart… it might as well be my heart she’s breaking.”

*

“Hey unnie,” Sakura greeted her sister who was walking in with a handful of shopping bags “Looks like you had fun.”

“Yeah… I did…” Mina smiled back.

Sakura notices that it’s been happening more frequently, her unnie smiling. And she wonders if her BFF has something to do with it?

*

Mina walks inside her room, going out was fun but she was glad to be home. She then picked up the sweet smell lingering… It smelled like cinnamon and apple pies…

She wonders where it’s from until she saw the paper bag in her bed.

Mina reads the tag.

Dear y bear,

To the best Christmas gift of all…

Love, your baby monkey…


And when Mina looks inside the bag there it was the different candles she wished she could buy. A smile never left Mina’s face as she starts taking out with such care the different candles inside.

Sometimes the person you really need, is the one you never thought you wanted.

Those words felt like puzzle pieces to Mina, not making any sense until it’s starting to form a sentence.

But maybe that’s how fortunes are supposed to go, you are not supposed to know what the heck it meant until out of nowhere it happens to you.

And for Mina those words weren’t puzzle pieces anymore, right now, it’s beginning to look like a pretty picture.