Chapter 2

I Don't Know

 

 

An election eve poll finds that 52% of surveyed voters plan to vote for Smith, and she needs a majority of (more than 50%) to win without a runoff. The margin of error in the poll is 3 percentage points. Will she win?

For other people the question was enough to pull their brains out, but call Myoui Mina sadistic because she’s the type who always loves a challenge, especially when it comes to her school work.

“MINA-YAH!!!”

Mina pulls out her headphone to make sure she’s hearing right.

“MYOUI MINA! COME HERE NOW!”

Somebody was calling her, and the tone of her mother’s voice was something that made her gulp nervously.

Her parents are most of the time easy going (too much if you ask Mina) so to hear that stern, serious tone in their voice meant one thing… she was in trouble.

*

“Mom? Dad?”

Mina felt like she was walking to her funeral both her parents are sitting stiff in the couch, with their arms cross, their faces looks stern and Sakura could hardly look at her.

“Is everything okay?”

“Sit down here now, we have to talk."

Mina gulps worriedly again before sitting in the couch across her family.

“W-what’s wrong?”

“I’m so sorry, unnie.” Sakura apologizes tearfully.

“Don’t say anything Sakura,” Their father raised his hand to silence Sakura… “What is this rumor we heard about you having a girlfriend? Is it true?”

Oh God… Oh God… Oh God… If you can hear me now, it’s me Myoui Mina.

“Why did we have to hear it from Sakura, rather than you?”

“Mom… dad… I can explain…”

“Stop… you can explain later.”

Mina can’t hardly bear to look at her parents. She couldn’t bear the thought of giving them all this shame.

“You can explain after we throw a PARTY!!!!”

Mina and Sakura exchanged shock looks as they see their parents getting off their feet and started jiving, her mom throwing confetti at her while her dad is blowing a birthday whistle.

“W-what?! I… I don’t understand…”

“THIS IS THE HAPPIEST DAYS OF OUR LIVES!!!”

“There is nothing more to understand, Minari. Me and your mother have always been worried that nobody would want to date you because you always have that stick up your hiney.”

Mina raised her brow. “Stick up my hiney?”

“Yes… sweetheart… you are so young, but you act so serious.”

“Aren’t you even upset that I’m rumored to be with a girl?”

“Well…ummm...Maybe if your girl looks like a dude, we would be upset… but how can you not like someone as adorable as Chaeyoung?”

Mina’s whole vision darkened at the thought.

“And besides girl on girl are the in thing now… like you know… ahhh…” Her dad scratches his forehead to think…

“Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez.”

Mina smacks her forehead hard.

“But come to think of it, at least were sure you’re never going to be one of those teen moms…”

Mina shakes her head in disbelief.

“The only thing we are upset about is that you didn’t tell us about it.”

“I didn’t because its not serious.”

“Nonsense! We would love to have Chaeyoung as our daughter in law… Such a cute girl with those large doe eyes…”

“Awwww… you and Chaeyoung will make such beautiful babies… in fact, it’s a website called how my baby look dot com and look this is how our future grand kids are going to look.”

Mina grits her teeth as she saw how her and Chaeyoung’s future child would look like…

“And now that you think of it, why don’t you invite her over our house next week for dinner?”

“Are you kidding me?! No…” Mina flat out refused.

“Just kidding… sweetheart, JK…” Her mom chuckles “You don’t have to do it…”

Mina let out a sigh of relief, finally her parents are done with this horrible joke.

“You don’t have to do it, because we already did.”


“MOM!” Mina growls furiously “I can’t believe you guys did it!!!”

Her mom starts chuckling again, she just enjoys seeing her oldest daughter so annoyed.

“Ok, ok… we didn’t… Sakura did…”

“Sakura?” Mina shakes her head in disbelief…

Sakura hangs her head low in embarrassment…

“I’m sorry unnie.”

Mina just raises both her hands in surrender, not wanting to take part in any of this.

“I have enough… good night…”

*

“GOOD MORNING GIRLFRIEND!!!!”

Those were the three words that were enough to ruin Mina’s day.

Myoui Mina was never a morning person, and this choding who always seems overdose with happy pill is making it worse for Mina. She let out a growl in reply before walking ahead of the girl. The choding of course never gets a hint and starts skipping beside her.

But then Chaeyoung’s scrawny arm shot up to the sky, raising her hand like a school girl excited to tell her class what she did in the weekend.

“Why do you need to raise your hand? You can just talk you know.”

Chaeyoung actually didn’t know why, she just automatically does it.

“I just want to say, do you know that when a member of AKB48 graduates a new member joins? It’s like they’re boss level in those video games. No matter how much you shoot them, they keep on regenerating…”

Anime? And now video games? God… why do you have to pair me up with such a choding?

“But I’m proud to say,” Chaeyoung announces “That I already memorize 18 out of the 48.”

“Good for you…” Mina says in a deadpan tone.

“So, I was thinking…”

Uh-oh… Mina immediately thought as Chaeyoung says that. Mina hates to admit that Chaeyoung was a freaking genius who could weasel herself into any deal. And their levels of reasoning are so different that Mina always ends up at the losing end.

“What?”

“Since I get to memorize around 18, and I have to memorize all the members to hold your hand does it mean, I can hold your pinky?”

“What?!”

Where does Chaeyoung find these ideas?

“I mean, it’s only fair, right? A pinky would be equivalent to 10 members…”

Chaeyoung gasps so cutely at the idea that blink inside her head.

“Now that I think about it…. I can hold two fingers… since I memorize 18.”

“You will when you get to tell me all members.”

“But… it’s just your pinky.”

“No!”

“Your thumb?” Chaeyoung tries to negotiate.

“Nooo…” Mina almost snaps back, “Why do you even have to pick me up? I’m not a kid. I could go to school on my own. I don’t need someone to hold my hand while I’m crossing the street.”

“But I do.” Chaeyoung murmurs softly…

“What?”

Chaeyoung turns to Mina, her doe eyes filled with so much fear.

“That’s like my biggest fear, that when I cross the street there is just some car that’s going to speed out of the corner and smash into me and I would end up rolling around to my death as other cars just run right through me.”

“Are you-“ But Mina stops when she saw the look in Chaeyoung’s eyes, it was obvious that the kid wasn’t kidding. It also explains to why Chaeyoung would stick so close to her when they cross the street.

Mina just let out a sigh and walk ahead, this girl is just making her speechless way too much.

*

“I don’t know how to say this, Satang.” The purple haired girl shoves her BFF playfully.

“Use words… that’s what people use to talk…” Sana says irritatingly before shoving her lunch in …

“Such a sarcastic girl…” Dahyun slaps Sana in the arm before joining the girl for lunch. “I have been noticing that Nayeon Im had been checking you out…”

Sana raises her head and catches the crescent eyed girl staring at her, before pretending to look elsewhere.

“She’s not looking at me…” Sana scoffs before taking a bite of her chicken “She’s looking at you because your head looks like an over fertilized grape…”

“YAH!” Dahyun pushes Sana again “such a meanie… my hair is my artistic creation…”

“Why don’t you get a canvas and put your artistic creation there like normal artists do?”

Dahyun just narrows her eyes at the other girl.

“Anyways… I have like this brilliant thought… how about you ask Nayeon out on a date?”

“Nayeon?”

“Yes… I mean… and then you hook me up with her friend…”

“Which friend? Jeongyeon? Or Momo? Because Mina is out of the question. My sister might be delusional in thinking they are in a relationship… but my sister loves that snob girl…”

“No… her Taiwanese friend, Tzuyu…”

Sana felt like her whole world collapse around when she heard that, sure Dahyun was her BFF but she was too shy to even admit anything to anyone about her true feelings. Chaeyoung just found out because she was talking in her sleep and Chaeyoung accidentally heard it.

Sana clears , trying to “I didn’t know you like her…”

“Hmmm… she’s kinda cute…”

“No… she's beautiful…” Sana murmurs under her breath.

“So, what you think of the plan?”

“I’m not sure about it…”

“Oh c’mon! Don’t you like Nayeon?”

“She’s alright…” Sana shrugs and focuses on her food.

“Alright? Nayeon Im, cant be just alright… she’s so cool… Don’t you like her awesomeness?”

“I…. ummm…” Sana growls, she rather not say anything, but she knows how pushy her BFF is, if she remains quiet, Dahyun would just bother her with aegyo nonstop.

“Fine… fine…” Sana says in surrender “I do like Nayeon.”

Gassssspppppppsss….

More Gasps…

And some more… gasps….

OMO! Sana thought this scene where you talk about a person and they happen to be behind you only happens in movies or K-dramas… But obviously it doesn’t because there was Nayeon and Tzuyu standing right behind them…

“Oooooohhhh…” Dahyun coos…

“Shut up…”

*

Sometimes Jeongyeon and Momo wonders why they even try to sympathize with Nayeon. Even if the girl is sobbing right now there in the cafeteria, it’s obvious that she have enough love for herself to get her by.

“I always ask myself this question… Why?” Nayeon cries out…

“Why what?”

“Why did God made me so damn beautiful?” Nayeon starts crying…

Momo almost spits out her lunch at Nayeon’s words, but the shikshin that she is thinks it’s such a waste of food so she didn’t.

“It’s like I can’t help it if people just falls so naturally for me. I mean why wouldn’t they? I would fall in love with myself too, if I were in their case.”

“Gosh if she could marry herself, I bet she would…” Jeongyeon whispers to Momo.

“Now Tzuyu thinks I’m her rival… And Tzuyu doesn’t play nice… she’ll murder me…” Nayeon sighs so heavily… “I’m sorry, why am I burdening you guys with this…”

Jeongyeon and Momo exchanged gasps… Did Nayeon cared for once about them?

“With our levels of beauty, you two can’t probably relate to anything that I’m saying right now…”

Grrrrrrrrr….

“Let’s see how pretty you are with a chopstick shove up your nose!”

Momo should really stop the violent Jeongyeon from jumping on Nayeon, but being the shikshin that she is, she sees this as an opportunity to grab from their plate.

*

“Ummm… Watanabe Mayu?”

Sakura nods as Chaeyoung got the right member of the AKB48… She should really question Chaeyoung about mitosis right now, but instead she had been quizzing Chaeyoung the girls name for a few days now…

“Ummm is that Oku Manami?”

“Ummm… no it’s Ono Erena.”

“Oooohhhh…” Chaeyoung slaps her forehead “I always get those two confused.”

Sakura hands Chaeyoung the stack of AKB48 pictures and Chaeyoung put it back in her Tiger bag.

“Oh? I think unnie wants to talk to you…”

Chaeyoung turns toward their classroom door and there is her girlfriend’s BFF motioning her to come over.

*

“Yes unnie?”

Chaeyoung turns and saw a choding looking blonde girl with Momo. The blonde girl starts to circle Chaeyoung eyeing her like a hawk looking at a chick.

“So, this is the kid you were telling me about, Momo?”

“Yup… yup… this is Mina’s girlfriend… Chaeyoung… this is Jeongyeon… She’s friends with me and Mina too.”

“Hello unnie…” Chaeyoung bows so low, she looks like she’s about to break.

“Chaeyoung… Jeongyeon is our ticket to getting Minari to like you.”

Chaeyoung’s eyes widen in anticipation.

“Unnie? Are you going to turn me into a beautiful swan?”

“Wae?” Jeongyeon scoffs “Do I have a thunderbolt scar in my forehead?”

Momo and Chaeyoung look at each other confusedly.

“Huh?”

“I don’t think so… I don’t have magic powers to do that.”

“Jeong… don’t be mean to the kid…”

“I’m not saying I can’t help you out… I’m saying that would be hard…”

Chaeyoung pouts in disappointment, staring down on the ground to hide her disappointment.

“But that doesn’t mean that its impossible…”

Chaeyoung looks up, her doe eyes filled with hope.

“We don’t want Mina to fall for you because you suddenly look like Cinderella in the ball. We want Mina to like you even if you’re cleaning up the floors and talking to animals…”

“How are we going to do that?”

“Hmmm….” Jeongyeon has her I’m thinking of something really awesome look in her face “I call this plan mirotic…”

“Mirotic? Like the TVXQ song?”

“Yes… we will do it slowly, drop little hints… so little that Mina won’t even notice it… Then, all of sudden… BAM!!!!”

Jeongyeon gets too excited about her plans sometimes…

“Mina didn’t even know what got into her, and yoooooouuuu… will be under her skin… like the song…”

“Ohhhhhhhh….”

“Soo… so, what are you doing now?”

“Ummm me?” Chaeyoung points to herself.

“Yes… you… what are you doing to win over Mina’s heart right now?”

“Ummm… I try to bring her flowers, and ummm… I walk her to school everyday…”

“Then, don’t…” Jeongyeon flat out says it.

Momo and Chaeyoung looks confused again…

“What?”

“Tomorrow don’t pick her up or anything…”

“B- but why? If I do that she might think I’m insincere and gave up.”

“Just trust me on this kid…” Jeongyeon smirks…

“Don’t worry Chaeng…” Momo pats Chaeyoung’s shoulder sympathetically “In Jeongyeon we trust…”

*
“Tzuyu?” Nayeon says cautiously as she sees Tzuyu busy painting her stick person on the canvas.

“Don’t come near me… I have a paintbrush and I’m not afraid to use it…” Tzuyu says threateningly…

“It’s a paintbrush, what are you going to do, paint me to death?” Nayeon jokes trying to lighten up the mood.

“No… I will shove it in body parts you don’t even know existed…”

Sounds painful enough for Nayeon…

“Please… Tzuyu…” Nayeon raises her hand showing her surrender “I’m sorry it turned out this way. “But I can’t do anything if God just curse me with this awesomely beautiful face that everyone seems to fall for.”

Tzuyu raises her brow in an are you effing kidding me manner.

“But think about it this way. Tzu… this is good…”

“How is it good?” Tzuyu sounds doubtful.

“Since all of Satang…”

“Sana…” Tzuyu corrected her

“What?”

“You don’t have the right to call her a nickname like that, her name is Sana…”

“Alright… alright… Sana… since Sana ummm you know… likes me… ACK!”

Tzuyu breaks her paintbrush into little pieces.

“Sorry… I got anger issues my therapist said, go on…”

“Well… yes, as I was saying, it’s good… I know this is impossible but I was thinking if I turned her off and sort of push you a bit for her to notice you and before you know it, she’s so into you…”

“Sana into me? hmmm…”

“Yes… I’m going to make fool proof plans on how to make sure Sana sees you… So, are you up for it?”

Tzuyu narrows her eyes, doing this would mean she’s joining forces with her rival. But just like everyone said, keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

“Hmmm… Nayeon Im… you have yourself a deal.”

*

“Hmmm… That’s weird…”

Mina thought as she came out from her home that morning and didn’t see the bouncy skinny girl jumping all up on her face.

Chaeyoung should be there right now, but she wasn’t…

Mina didn’t like how this was going… No, specifically she didn’t like how she was feeling. Shouldn’t she be relieved that Chaeyoung wasn’t there to pick her up that day?

“Yeah…. Yeah… this is good…” Mina tries to prep herself up, trying to deny something. “Like finally, the girl leave me alone…”

Mina started walking, turning her head back every so often.

She stops when she realizes what she’s doing.

Is she expecting Chaeyoung to be there? She didn’t know where she was going, but she almost got there when she stop at a street.

A street with speeding cars and trucks…

“I wonder how Chaeyoung got to school…”

Wait… did she just wonder about Chaeyoung?

*

“Hey Minari…”

Momo and Jeongyeon were her bestfriends but they just irritate the hell out of her sometimes… Either that or it’s not just her day today…

“What is it?” Mina almost snapped at them, growling as she skims her notes.

Jeongyeon and Momo nods at each other, figuring out the obvious.

“You PMSing or something? You seem busier than usual…”

“I’m not… I’m just… just…”

What are the right words to say?

“Nothing it’s nothing…”

But Momo and Jeongyeon just smiles because with how Mina is acting it was obvious that there is something…

“Did something HAPPEN today?” Jeongyeon says emphasizing the word.

And when she saw Mina froze, she knew she got her point across.

“N-nothing…” Mina denies before getting her attention back to her notes.

“Well, maybe you will feel better if you come with me and Jeong and Nayeon, were going to the karaoke…”

“Ummm no…” Mina turns towards the window and sees Chaeyoung with her tiger backpack on her way home. “I would have to take a raincheck for today… you guys go ahead and have fun…”

Mina starts gathering up her notes and went ahead of the two, when Mina was out of sight. Momo smiles at Jeongyeon…

“You did it again, Jeong…”

“This is just the start, Momo…”

*

It felt like walking to her death…

Chaeyoung looks up and shivers in fear as she saw how far her walk is to get to the other side. The doe eyed girl felt her phobia disappeared for like a week when she was walking Mina home. Even if Mina wasn’t holding her hand when they cross the street, still she never felt more protected than having Mina by her side.

But Mina wasn’t there anymore…

This morning she ran to get to the other side, she could do it again right now…

“Son Chaeyoung… Fighting…”

Chaeyoung starts hopping on her foot like a boxer about to get on a ring…

“I can do this…”

She looks up at the traffic signal.

10… 9…8…7…6…5

She gulps as she felt it coming closer.

4…

She could feel herself starting to sweat…

3

She gulps again, hoping to gulp her fear along with it…

2…

Son Chaeyoung fighting…

1…

But before she could take a step she froze when she felt someone holding her hand.

She looks up and there was her “girlfriend” Mina and her hand wrap around hers. Mina nudges her, pulling her hand so they could walk.

If this would be other circumstances, Chaeyoung would run to get to the other side, but right now all she wants is to freeze this moment forever. With Mina’s hand in hers… Mina immediately let go the second they cross the street.

“Walk faster, you don’t want to get smash by a car.”

Those were Mina’s last words before walking ahead of the girl…

Chaeyoung was debating whether she should run after Mina or walk home…

Mina ended up stuffing her hand in her pocket, trying to grip something to make up for not holding Chaeyoung’s hand.

Wait… did she just admit to herself that she misses holding the girl’s hand?

Mina growls and walk faster, she did it out of reflex where she turns around, as if looking for someone beside her.

Chaeyoung wasn’t there beside her, but she was a few feet away from her just seems like she’s following her.

Creep… Mina mutters under her breath.

Mina turns around to face Chaeyoung.

“If you want to follow me, just come right here instead of stalking me like this.”

“No… I’m… I just want to make sure you go home safely.”

Why does Chaeyoung say things that Mina has no comeback for?

“Fine…” Mina says before walking ahead.

*

Sakura was surprised to see her sister going home by herself that day…

Where was Chaeyoung?

Sakura looks out and sees Chaeyoung around the corner from their house. When her unnie got inside their home, she sees Chaeyoung turning away, going back home.

The things you do, Son Chaeyoung I could never understand.

*

Even someone as workaholic as Mina hates going to school on a rainy day. But she loves to get an A more than anything else so even if she would rather curl up in bed with a good book, she ended up getting herself up and out of the bed.

Pfft… I don’t think Chaeyoung would even bother coming here in this weather.

Wait… did she mention Chaeyoung again?

*

“Good morning girlfriend!”

Mina should know better than to under estimate the skinny girl with a tiger hoodie and an umbrella with tiger ears on it.

“You sure like that tiger.”

“I do.”

Chaeyoung then wraps Mina in a hoodie.

“I have my own.”

“You can never be too sure.” Chaeyoung wags her finger at Mina, before tilting her umbrella to make sure Mina doesn’t get wet by the rain.

“Ready?”

Mina just nods and walks, with how close they are pressed against each other, their hands starts to brush. Chaeyoung thought her senses was fooling her until she looks down on their hands and Mina’s pinky is linked with hers.

She looks up at Mina, blushing happily at their moment.

“Just a pinky, right?” Mina says calmly…

Chaeyoung smiles brightly before the two continues to walk.

“Knowing you’re there is all I will ever need…”

Mina could never figure out how Chaeyoung does it, but Chaeyoung always seem to know the right words to say to make her speechless.

Maybe Chaeyoung is just a genius, or whatever it is... Mina doesn't know...