Leap of Faith 3/?

More Than Friends

When Wendy wakes up the next morning, Seulgi is gone. There's no note, no phone number, no trace that the girl had ever been there besides the marks that are imprinted on her body from last night.

She sits up slowly and groans at the pulsing headache. She picks up her phone and sees that it's only 7am. She sighs and slides back down. 

She expected this, yet there was still a feeling of disappointment for some reason. But, she doesn't dwell on it for too long because her bladder decides it's time to get up. 

She gets out of bed and grabs her shirt that's laying on the floor and heads to the bathroom.

When she steps out, she hears the doorknob rattle before it turns and in comes a girl holding a bag and two coffees.

Wendy's eyes widen as the girl walks toward her, "You're up! Sorry, I hope you don't mind that I stole your keys. I wanted to get some photos of the sunrise. Thought I would get back before you woke up."

The girl places a bag on the table, "I got us some breakfast."

She sits down and Wendy doesn't know what to do. She didn't think she'd see the girl again and yet, here she is. 

"Are you okay?"

Wendy quickly shakes her head before sitting down, "Sorry, just hungover. Taking a bit longer than usual to process things."

"Did you think I skipped out?"

"No!"

Wendy blushes at the outburst and Seulgi's lips curl into a smile, "I don't blame you. Most people usually do, but I don't know, I just couldn't. I hope you don't mind."

Wendy shakes her head and Seulgi hands her a coffee, "I didn't know how you liked your's, so I got you what I usually get."

She picks up the cup and takes a small sip. The bitterness immediately coats her tongue followed by a sweet after taste. 

"Do you like it?"

She looks back at the girl who's eyebrows are furrowed and nods, "Yeah. What is it?"

"It's a double shot of expresso with sweet cream and caramel."

Seulgi takes a box out of the bag and opens it up to reveal eight different pastries.

She offers it to Wendy, "Here."

"Woah, that's a lot of pastries."

Seulgi runs the back of her head, "Yeah, I didn't know what you'd like, so I got a few."

"That's a little more than a few."

"It's okay, we have time, right?"

Wendy feels warmth spread through her body. She takes the first danish and nods, "Yeah, we do."

--

When it's time for Wendy to go home, they exchange numbers with promises to stay in touch, but when she gets back to Korea and she sees that there are no new notifications, her heart sinks a little.

She sends a message, but is met with radio silence. She gives it a few days before messaging again, but again, she's met with no response. 

Then a week goes by with no new messages, then a month. She starts to lose hope and decides it's best to move on.

It takes some time, but she starts to forget about the girl.

Well, almost.

She forgets till she does something.

When she orders a double shot espresso with sweet cream and caramel, she thinks of her.

When she sees someone photographing the sky scrapers in the middle of the street, she sees her.

And when she closes her eyes at night, all she can think about are slim fingers caressing her face and a voice whispering sweet nothings into her ear.

The thoughts leave her feeling hollow and she doesn't know what to do.

--

"Have you ever felt lonely?" 

Wendy pauses and looks up from the chart she's holding, "Lonely?"

She watches the girl bring her knees up to her chest and look out the window, "Not like the 'no one is here with me right now, I'm lonely', but the 'even though everyone is here, I'm still lonely.'"

"Why are you asking?"

There's a few seconds of silence before the girl responds, "Just...I feel it all the time."

She looks at the older girl and sees how glassy her eyes are.

"I used to tell myself that one day it will stop, this feeling of emptiness. I told myself that I was going to take better care of myself and stop worrying about what other people thought, but then I got sick. I realized that sometimes, the things that I expected to happen never go as planned."

Wendy puts the chart down and sits down next to the girl before taking her hand into her own, "Hey, I know your test results haven't been ideal lately, but try to stay positive okay?"

The girl nods, but Wendy doesn't miss the tears that are forming at the corner of her eyes.

--

When she got back to Korea, she picked things up right where she left them. She still saw patients and was on call multiple nights in a row.

'She was right, life really doesn't stop.'

Luckily, today is her off day and she's finally able to take a break and go for a run.

When she finishes, she stops at her usual coffee shop and orders her usual drink before heading back to her apartment. After showering, she climbs into bed and turns in the television.

Wendy never did get to answer her, but the truth was, she felt it too.

It's days like this when she's left with her own thoughts that her apartment feels emptier than usual and her bed at night feels colder than before she left for Switzerland.

--

*Beep Beep*

Wendy picks up her pager and heads to the nearest phone and calls the emergency room.

"Hello?"

"Hey Joy, you paged me?"

"Yeah, there's a patient here who was climbing a ladder and fell off. They hurt their arm and I just wanted a consult in case we have to send her in for surgery."

"You remember that there's ortho doctors for that right?"

"Youre a trauma surgeon, isn't that the same thing?"

"You sure you're not just avoiding Rosé?"

"W-what, of course not. You think I would do that? I mean it's not like I asked her on a date and she totally turned me down and said she was already seeing someone."

"Uh-huh."

"C'mon unnie, I just need a consultation and if it's actually a bad break, then I'll call ortho."

"Alright fine, I'll be there in a few."

"Great, see you in a bit."

Wendy finishes up the chart she is working on and logs off before making her way down. 

She sees Joy standing next to someone and holding up x-rays.

She walks toward the pair and waves, "Sooyoung-ah."

The younger physician looks at her and so does the patient.

And that's when she sees her.

She stops when she sees a smile she's been thinking about for months. Her eyes flicker with shock and excitement.

"You..."

It's the same voice that she's been calling out to her in her dreams these past few months. A feeling of dread quickly washes over her. All the nights of longing and loneliness suddenly fill her. She swallows the bitterness that she's feeling as she musters her next word.

"Hi."

--

A/n: Forgot about this story for a hot sec, but I'm back with another snippet! Hope you all enjoy.