Afraid

More Than Friends

For my friend @pandeseulgi

--

Seulgi leans against the balcony railing and stares up at the night sky. The moon is out tonight and it is lighting up the entire city.

People don't talk about the moon the way they talk about the sun because they don't have the same connotation. The sun is bright, energetic, warm and the moon is dull, dark and gloomy. While the sun signals the beginning of something, the moon usually means that things are coming to an end. They always tell you to stay close to people who feel like sunshine. No one ever tells you to bask in the moonlight.

Seulgi thinks it's a shame really. 

What people fail to realize is that the moon is actually brighter than the sun. It never truly disappears during the day. If you look hard enough, you can find it peaking out from behind a few clouds.

Even in the darkest of nights, you can always see it illuminating - just like her

Her phone vibrates and she pulls it out to see a text message and smiles. 

'Will be home in 15 minutes, see you soon!'

She sends an 'okay' and puts her phone away. 

She looks back up and and smiles.

They've come so far. 

Seulgi tosses and turns in her bed. She checks her watch and sees that it's already 2AM. She lets out a frustrated sigh, not because she couldn't fall asleep, but because of the girl next door. 

She closes her eyes again just as the doorknob turns. She hears shuffling approach her bed and feels a warm body crawl in and press up against hers. A hand runs down her shoulder and threads their fingers together as a chin rests on her shoulder.

"I know you're still awake."

Seulgi doesn't respond and waits for the girl to continue.

"I'm sorry about today. I just...I don't know."

She hears the voice crack and quickly turns to face the girl. There's a sliver of light peaking through her window and she sees the tear stained face and brings up her hand to wipe the damp spot. 

Seungwan's upper lip quivers as she reaches up to put her hand on top of Seulgi's.

"I'm s-sorry. You know how I get sometimes."

"I know."

Seulgi pulls the girl into a hug and feels the smaller girl shake against her.

"I'm so scared." It's muffled, but Seulgi hears it clearly and pulls away.

"About what?"

"I don't know if I can make you happy. I'm afraid...so afraid that I'm going to ruin you. That I'm going to take you down like me. I don't know what to do."

She feels her heart break and lifts the girl's chin so that she's looking at her, "I know you're scared, but whatever it is, we'l get through it. I'm scared too, but I believe the bigger regret would be not trying."

Seungwan sniffles, "I'm not right Seul."

"And that's okay."

She leans in to kiss Seungwan. She deepens it, hoping it'll take the hurt away. Presses their bodies closer so that there is little room for fear. And holds her tight so that she knows she's loved.

She doesn't know if it works, but when the girl falls asleep soundly next to her, she chooses to believe that it did. 

She turns her head as keys jingle against the door. She walks back into the living room just as Seungwan walks in with a big smile plastered on her face and skips over to place a kiss on Seulgi's cheek.

"Someone is in a good mood."

"Just happy to see you."

She smiles, "Me too."

The moon is definitely brighter tonight. 

--

A/N: Inspired by Day6's new song 'afraid'. Also if you haven't, you should really check out Wendy x Zico's new OST (: