Rain

More Than Friends

She was on her third drink when the bell on the door rang and in came a girl with a yellow raincoat. To say she didn’t belong was an understatement as she stood out against the dark undertones of the dimly lit bar. The girl looks around curiously before making her way to where Wendy was sitting. She sits two seats down and motions for the bartender to come over. She orders a drink and Wendy can’t help but raise her eyebrow when she hears 'tequila sunrise' roll off the girl’s tongue. 

When the bartender walks away, the girl begins to take off her raincoat. As she turns to place the jacket behind her chair, her eyes meet Wendy’s. 

Normally Wendy would have looked away, but for some reason she felt herself getting pulled into the dark orbs. 

“Hi.” The girl flashes a smile so bright that Wendy thinks she has a hangover already from how dizzy she starts to feel. 

“Hi.” Wendy tries her best to return the smile, but all she manages is half a smirk. 

The girl scrunches her eyebrows and bites her lip hesitantly before asking, “Rough day?”

Wendy snorts, “The worst.”

“Want to talk about it?”

She sighs. She had just gotten fired from her job of three years but did she really want to spill that to a complete stranger? 

Sensing the reluctance, the girl is quick to change topics, "Well whatever it is, it's a shame. Disappointment doesn't belong on a face like yours."

Wendy feels her upper lip twitch into a small smile. Was this girl flirting with her? 

“Oh I’m Seulgi by the way.”

Wendy reaches out her hand, “Wendy.”

The bartender comes back with the drink and Seulgi takes a few sips. 

Wendy turns back to her drink and wonders if she should call it a night when Seulgi speaks up again. 

“I just finished moving out my ex-girlfriend’s apartment today.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah. I was getting to propose to her actually when i found out she had been sleeping with my best friend.”

“Ouch. I’m sorry.”

Seulgi smiles and shakes her head. “I think somewhere deep down I knew, but I couldn’t, rather, I didn’t want to accept it.”

Seulgi runs her forefinger around the rim of her glass before letting out a sigh. 

“When I was out in the rain earlier, i couldn’t help but think that you really didn’t need water to feel like you’re drowning.”

Wendy nods as she thinks about how suffocating work has been up until now and how the girl was right. For years she felt like she couldn't breathe and now it feels like a weight has been lifted off her shoulder.  

She picks up her glass and lifts it toward Seulgi, “Well, here’s to getting wasted and forgetting all our problems for tonight.”

Seulgi smiles. "Cheers to that." 

She lifts her glass and downs her drink. She then waves her hand at the bartender for a refill and moves to sit next to Wendy. 

“So Wendy, tell me more about yourself.”

Up close, Seulgi is glowing. The smaller girl smiles as she looks down at her own empty glass before signaling the bartender for a refill as well. 

This was going to be a long night and it was just getting started.