Painters and Scarves

Cold Eyes

 

 

“You didn’t have to come with me, Baekhyun,” Sehun says as the servant helps him out of the carriage. “I’m not sure a carriage was necessary either.”

 

“Well, you’re going shopping right,” He replies. “We can’t have you carrying all those bags back up to the castle.”

 

Sehun laughs and shakes his head. “I’m just getting a few things, you know.”

 

Baekhyun shrugs. “Gotta keep your hands delicate.”

 

The Prince scoffs and rolls his eyes. “Oh, Please,” He huffs as they make their way to the nearby bookstore. “What’s with everyone calling me delicate? Prince Jongin called me the other day too.”

 

“His cold royal highness likes things soft,” he jokes. “How’s it going between you two?”

 

“Um…” Sehun bites his lower lip as he browses the shelves. “I don’t know. But he’s going to let me read poetry to him!”

 

“Really?” 

 

“Your grace?”

 

Sehun and Baekhyun both turn at a person who now approaches them. The petite servant frowns and quickly steps in front of the prince. “Who are you and what do you want?” He asks in a harsh voice, his hand on the dagger at his side. 

 

A tall man stands several feet away, a bewildered look in his eyes. With tan skin and prominent, intense eyes; his black hair long and pulled back into a messy ponytail, some strands of hair falling past each side of his face. He wears a loose, almost flowing, light blue tunic with brown linen pants tucked into boots. He smiles and lifts his hands in defense. “I mean little harm, honestly,” He quickly says. “I just want to see if it’s really the prince.”

 

Sehun tilts his head when he notices the paint stains on his hands. “Are you a painter?”

 

“What?” The man blinks in confusion before looking at his hands. “Oh,” he laughs. “Yes, I am!”

 

“Were...you the one who painted that present for me? That one about my wedding.”

 

“Oh, that is embarrassing,” The painter blushes. “I was indeed but um...I am happy the painting got to you safely. I was a bit nervous sending it with my little sister.”

 

Sehun nods. “I really love it, just so you know; I-it’s beautiful! It’s hanging in my bedroom.”

 

“Truly?” He smiles. “You truly like it?”

 

“Of course!” He smiles as well. “What's your name?”

 

“My name is Huang Zi Tao,” He introduces. “I am pleased to meet you, your majesty.” Sehun watches as the painters gives him a deep bow. “If I can be so bold, your grace, before you arrived, I have never seen someone so pretty; much less a man.”

 

Sehun blushes now and fiddles with the book he had picked up. “M-me? Pretty? I don’t know about that…”

 

Tao glances down at his book and motions. “You like poetry, my prince?”

 

The prince looks down as well and bites his lip, nodding. “Y-yes! Very much so!”

 

“Then...perhaps I should show you my poetry,” he says. “Though, it is in Chinese.”

 

“Poetry?” Sehun gasps. “You write too? A-and that’s okay, I can read Chinese!”

 

Tao looks surprised. “Really? You must be so talented!” The man looks around his pockets for something before sighing. “Go figure, the day I meet the princes is the day I leave my small book…” 

 

The Prince shakes his head. “That’s okay, Tao, I um...I could come back tomorrow if you want; you could show it to me then.”

 

The painter’s face brightens at that. “Oh, is that really okay?”

 

“Of course it is!” He looks at Baekhyun and shrugs. “But um...I will have to have a bodyguard with me at all times.”

 

“That is alright! Bring anyone to make you feel safe,” He insists, giving another bow. “I have to return home to cook for my sister, but I am so happy that I was able to meet you.”

 

“You as well, Tao,” Sehun gives him a nod and a wave. “I'll see you tomorrow.” He watches as the excited painter exits the shop, leaving the two in brief silence.

 

“What a strange guy,” Baekhyun finally speaks up.

 

Sehun hums in agreements, smiling after the man before turning back around. “I think he’s quite charming.”

 

“Oh sure,” His servant chuckles. “Nice flirting there, your majesty.”

 

Sehun gasps. “I was not flirting!”

 

“No? That was flirtation, Sehun,” He snickers. “Oh, that’s okay, Tao! Just come back tomorrow and help me cheat on my husband!”

 

The prince furrows his brows. “I would never, Baekhyun!”

 

“Hey, there isn’t any law against it. PLenty of princes and kings have mistresses or...handsome painters on the side.”

 

“I know but I’m not like that! I want to be a good, loyal, and faithful to Prince Jongin.”

 

Baekhyun chuckles, watching as Sehun pays for the several books he picks out. “But you know you’re allowed to, right?”

 

“I know,” Sehun smiles at the nervous man behind the counter. He used to commoners being in awe when royalty comes down. “Thank you very much,” he goes to accept his back and sighs when Baekhyun takes it instead. “My father never had them, concubines. He was strictly against all of that.” He stops to look around as they exit, frowning as he thinks. “Um…does Prince Jongin…?”

 

Baekhyun scoffs and shakes his head. “Yeah, right. I don’t think there’s a single romantic or ual bone in his body. He’d only be either of those things if he absolutely had to be.”

 

“Oh good,” Sehun sighs and heads toward the road leading back to the castle. He smiles at the guards that bow. “That sounds hopeful for my very lonely and none romantic future.”

 

“So be romantic with someone,” His servant offers. “You really think Prince Jongin will care if you do? Trust me, he won’t,” He chuckles. “So go and find yourself a handsome slice of cake- like Zitao.”

 

“Baekhyun, no. Regardless, I have to be…” He sighs. Who is he kidding? Zitao seemed so sweet and warm, the opposite of his husband. While he feels bad about it and the fact that he knows he’s allowed to, he needs romance. He NEEDS to be loved. “I don’t know anymore.”

 

Baekahyun pats his back and grins. “Get yours, prince, get yours.”

 

“I…” Sehun shakes his head, saying nothing more about the subject. If their love life is as doomed as it seems, this might be his only option. He rubs his gloved hands together and sighs at the light wind that starts up. Even the cold breeze outside is warm compared to Jongin. But no, regardless. He has to make it work with his husband, no matter what. 



 

The Prince takes a deep breath as he holds the small box close, the black scarf he had knitted gently folded within. Trying to hide his smile, he pushes the doors to Jongin's study after knocking and getting the okay to enter. "Prince Jongin?"

 

His husband doesn't look up from his paper, continuing to write. "Yes, what do you want, Sehun?"

 

"I um...I am sorry to disturb you," He says quietly as he shyly makes his way to his husband's desk.

 

"And yet here you are."

 

Sehun clears his throat. "Yes, well...This is for you."

 

Jongin furrows his brows and looks up at him. He glances down at the box and stares at it for a few seconds. He looks back down at his paper. "I do not want nor need it."

"W-what?"

 

"I said I do not want it," He repeats. "Whatever you have to give, I can get one way or another. Give it to a servant or something."

 

Sehun's smile falters as he watches Jongin. He looks down at the box in his hands and stares at is as well. It took him weeks to make this and even then, he had to stay up during the late hours of the night to finish it; he'd be so tired the next morning, he'd almost fall asleep during his lessons. He had even gone back to the yarn shop to pay for the yarn himself, feeling too bad about it. Hell, even his fingers were a bit sore still.  And no he stands here, telling him it's not special and to just give it away. He doesn't need it and he doesn't want it. Sehun's bottom lip quivers as he stands there, feeling disheartened.

 

"Could you please leave, Sehun? I have a lot of-"

 

"No," Sehun interrupts.

 

Jongin looks up and raises his brows. "Pardon? Do you not remember what I told you when we first met?"

 

The prince glowers at him, suddenly fed up with him. "No, I remember," he says. "Do not speak to you unless you speak first, to not talk back to you, do not look you in the eye...and never be late when you call for me," his tears are ones of anger now. "But you did not tell me what a selfish, cold man you are!" he raises his voice a bit. "I stayed up for hours on hours making this for you and yet you stand here telling me it is...worthless. My fingers are sore and I barely slept!" he lets his tears fall. "You know what?" He slams the box on the desk, causing Jongin to jump a bit. "You throw it away!" Without another word, he turns on his heel and storms out of the room, slamming the door behind him. He lets his tears of angry flow, down his cheek and onto his shirt. How can someone be so mean and selfish? He can't believe he thought he could make it work, or how he could make peace with him. 

 

As soon as he gets to his room, it's only then that he uses a handkerchief to wipe his tears. He knows he's probably going to get punished for shouting at his husband but he doesn't care right now. He takes a deep breath as he heads over to his bed, several other boxes placed on it. He stares at them for a moment before smiling and picking them up. He at least knows certain people who will really appreciate their gifts.



 

"Thank you for helping me, Chanyeol," Sehun hums as they head into the servant's quarter. 

 

"You-you're welcome!" Chanyeol says, his face pink and flustered.

 

"Come on, you know what I said," The prince laughs. "Stop being so formal when it's just us."

 

Chanyeol nods quickly. "Right, right! Sorry, it's just..."

 

"You're used to Prince Jongin being a big jerk?" He giggles at the tall servant's shocked expression. "I won't tell if you won't."

 

"Deal!"

 

Sehun smiles fondly at Chanyeol before opening the door to their basement, ushering the tall servant to go first. "You guys, I' back," he announces. "I come bearing a prince too!"

 

"Hello," Sehun greets, waving at all of the boys. "I hope I'm not interrupting your breaks."

 

Yixing chuckles as he stands. "Of course not, your highness," he says as he heads for the stove, putting the kettle on the fire. "You are always welcome here."

 

"Yeah, we always like seeing you, Sehuna!" Minseok adds in. "What're those boxes?"

 

Sehun waits as Chanyeol sets them all down. "Well, I've noticed that it'll be winter soon," he begins handing the boxes out to the individual boys. "And some of you kind of lack in...warmth. Especially some of you that keep losing socks," He gives Chanyeol a pointed look. Chanyeol blushes and gives a sheepish look. "So I um..." He watches as they all open their gifts. "Knitted you all something to...hopefully keep you warm."

 

"Sehun," Junmyeon sighs softly as he holds the blue scarf in his hands. "So this is what you were keeping from me..."

 

When he looks to Baekhyun, the servant is already wearing his own red scarf, giving a large grin. "Wow, you knitted me socks?!" Chanyeol gasps, his eyes practically sparkling. He looks over at Jongdae, grinning at his own pair.

 

"I don't even own a pair until now!" Jongdae laughs happily. Sehun gasps and is about to say something, but Junmyeon rolls his eyes and shakes his head.

 

"Gloves," Kyungsoo and Yixing say at the same time, raising their eyebrows. 

 

"Well," Sehun sighs. "I always see you outside with Jongin, Kyungsoo," he begins. "This way, you can stand there and...stay warm," he blushes, watching as they try them on. "I um...I know the kitchens can get cold in the morning, s-so I..."

 

"Hats!" Luhan gasps. "You made us hats!"

 

"Wow, they're so cute too!" Luhan giggles.

 

"I know how much you guys like hats...I don't know why," Sehun looks at them oddly. "Is that just because you guys lost a bet or...?"

 

"no, Luhan shrugs. "We just really like them."

 

"R-right," He laughs. His heart flutters as he watches the happy servants, all of them gushing over their gifts. He clasps his hands together and brings them to his mouth to try and hide his excitement. "You...you guys like them?"

 

Everyone goes quiet as they look amongst themselves. Sehun's smile falters a bit as he waits, confused when no one speaks. "W-what's wrong?" He flinches when they all quickly move toward him, tightly all wrapping their arms around him in a tight group embrace.  He looks at them all in bewilderment for a moment before his smile returns again. He lets out a long, relieved sigh before setting his head on Junmyeon's and wraps his arms around the others. "T-thank goodness," He mutters as he begins to tear again, like a child. "I’m glad..." He laughs when some of the boys begin to cry as well, some shoulders shaking. "I'm so, so glad..."