Yarn

Cold Eyes

 

 

With a hand on Junmyeon’s shoulder, his other one lies in his servant’s; the man’s other hand rests on the prince’s waist. He steps back when the servant steps forward, counting out loud as they create a box together. “It appears you are already well skilled in dancing,” Junmyeon compliments.

 

“Of course,” Sehun chuckles. “I try to be modest but I’m actually quite good at many things,” He says as they continue their slow dance.

 

“Do tell.”

 

Sehun hums a bit, pursing his lips. “Well, I can play the piano, harp, flute, I can read and write poetry,’ He begins. “I can speak English, Chinese...I can sew, knit,” He pauses. “I can sing well too.”

 

Junmyeon smiles. “That is...quite a lot of things,” He says in surprise. “Do not tell Jongin that you can sing or play the piano- he will insist you play for him.”

 

“I don’t want to play for him,” Sehun says stubbornly. 

 

The servant laughs and nods, letting the prince go. He motions to the harpist to the side, signaling for them to stop playing. “I do hope you begin to get along with Prince Jongin,” The servant says as heads over to a nearby table. “He is your husband after all.” Sehun sighs as he sits, accepting when Junmyeon pulls the chair out for him. 

 

“Husband...I don’t think I will ever get used to that, Junmyeon.”

 

“You must,” He says and sets down a cup of tea. 

 

Sehun glances over to the door, sighing when he sees Jongin walk past the doorway. He shakes his head before picking up the cup and sipping. “I will admit,” He whispers. “He’s incredibly handsome.”

 

“It is good you think so, considering you must spend the rest of your life with him.”

 

“So I am reminded and I imagine I will keep being reminded by you every time I complain about him.”

 

“See? We have only just met and you seem to know me well.”

 

Sehun gives his servant a pointed look but he can’t help and laugh a bit. He shakes his head, relaxing a bit. It’s nice that Jongin doesn’t talk to him very often. It’s only been a few days since their wedding but nothing has seemed to change. They don’t even sleep in the same bed. Jongin just lets Sehun sleep in their bedroom while he goes off somewhere else. That’s fine with Sehun. He likes having a large bed all to himself, and it’s so much more comfortable than the one at home. They’ve yet to bathe together too; Jongin seems to find the times his husband isn’t around. “Hate me all he may, I am perfectly content with him ignoring me.”

 

Junmyeon hums a bit as he sets out some treats. “Of course, you two will have to act like a loving married couple sometimes,” He says. “For when you have meetings or celebrations.”

 

“Fine but how many do we have, honestly?”

 

“Several a month.”

 

Sehun’s heart drops. “Oh.” He shakes his head before standing and fixing his coat. “Do you think I could go into town?”

 

“Whatever for?”

 

“I...want to buy some yarn,” Sehun admits with a blush. “I want to knit some scarves for the other servants, as gifts for being so nice to me.”

 

Junmyeon smiles, standing as well. “That’s an excellent idea. I’ll fetch the carriage.”

 

“No need,” Sehun waves his hand. “We’ll just walk.”

 

“But it’s...a mile.”

 

“You’ve never walked a mile before?”

 

“No, I have…” Junmyeon whispers. “Is that really...okay?”

 

“Why not?” Sehun asks as his servant helps him secure his cloak. “Will my loving husband get angry?” He asks sarcastically. “I am sure he would be very worried about me.”

 

“Prince Sehun.”

 

“Oh, I am just kidding,” Sehun heads out of the room, toward the front of the castle. “I will be civil with my husband, no matter what,” He admits. “I don’t have...the ability to be mean to him either way.”

 

“I am sure you do,” Junmyeon chuckles as they make their way from the castle, waving off some guards that try to join. “I would not like to see it but it would require some pushing.” It’s only when someone speaks that they notice the carriage idling beside them.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

Sehun jumps a bit and looks up. He frowns when he sees Jongin glaring down at the two from the wooden window. “I am heading into town,” He admits. “I-I wanted to buy some yarn.”

 

Jongin stares at him for a moment before sighing. He pushes the door open. “Get in, both of you.”

 

“O-oh, I am fine with walk-”

 

“Get. In.”

 

Junmyeon gives Sehun an apologetic smile before extending his hand. Sehun swallows hard as he grabs it, accepting the boost. He awkwardly sits on the opposite, only comforted when his servant takes the spot beside him seconds later. “What were you thinking?” Jongin begins to lecture. “Do you want to be assassinated?”

 

Sehun gasps. “A-assassinated?!”

 

Junmyeon slowly nods. “There has been some assassination attempts.”

 

“And yet you let him leave without any guards.”

 

“I did not leave the castle without this, Prince Jongin,” the servant says, putting a hand on a sword attached to his hip. Sehun hasn’t seen it before, causing his eyes to grow wide.

 

“J-Junmyeon!?”

 

“You fight?” Jongin asks warily.

 

The servant nods. “Of course. I would never be stupid enough to let Prince Sehun leave the castle without protection. Trust me; I am more capable than most of the guards.”

 

Sehun’s husband stares at him, something strange in his eyes. Sehun thinks he might get mad but then his lips curl up into a smirk. A smile? The image makes his knees a bit weak. “Spar me sometimes.”

 

“Your highness?”

 

“When we return, you will spar with me,” Jongin instructs. “Do not hold back either. I hate it when people let me win.”

 

The servant glances at Sehun. “Yes, your grace.”



 

Sehun is eager to jump out as soon as they park but he knows he has to wait. Junmyeon quickly hops out, extending his hand and offering it. The prince grins as he accepts it, looking around as soon as he’s out. He steps forward to give Jongin enough room to leave as well. “Wow! This place is so different compared to my old kingdom!” He beams and looks around in excitement. 

 

“It’s Prince Sehun!”

 

The Prince’s eyes light up when he sees some children run up to him. He knees to greet them. “Well, hello,” He smiles.

 

“We went to your wedding!”

 

“You did? Did you like it?”

 

“Yes!” A little girl quickly says. “Prince Sehun looked like an angel!”

 

Sehun blushes, laughing a bit at their comment. “I did, huh?”

 

“Uh-huh! My big brother thought you were beautiful,” She goes on. It’s only then that he notices a small canvas in her small hands. “Here, a gift! He painted you!”

 

“Wow,” The prince accepts when it’s handed to him, getting a better look. His heart flutters when he sees it; himself, in his wedding attire. He looks a bit sad but in all honesty, beautiful. “This is amazing…”

 

“I’ll tell my big brother you said so!”

 

“B-but can I really keep this? He must have worked so hard…”

 

The little girl nods. “It’s a gift!”

 

Sehun smiles fondly. “Thank you. I will treasure it.” After petting the children on the head, he stands up as they run off; continuing to play. Grinning, he looks back down at the painting, staring at it. He loves it. It’s strange how this painter seemed to convey how miserable he felt. The painting reflected it, giving a sense of loneliness. Clutching it to his chest, he turns back to face his husband and his servant. “Oh!” He gasps again and points. “That must be the yarn shop!” He exclaims enthusiastically and begins to quickly make his way over.

 

“Do not run!” Jongin calls out with obvious irritation.

 

Sehun’s run turns into a fast walk; the man’s aggressiveness not faltering his excitement. He tries not to seem too eager as he enters the small shop, not too many people inside. He bows to the woman. “H-hello,” He shyly greets. 

 

“P-Prince Sehun!?”

 

He gives her a small smile before looking around. “Please, pay me no mind.” He can hear the door open as his servant and husband join him; Jongin seeming reluctant. He seems to watch carefully as Sehun touches all of the balls of yarn; testing them. “Oh, I forgot my coin pouch,” He realizes with a frown. 

 

“Forget about it,” Jongin says and crosses his arms. “Just pick what you need and forget about money.”

 

“Is that...really okay?”

 

“Do I have to repeat myself?”

 

“Nope!” Sehun laughs nervously. “No need.” He grabs a small bag and starts to fill it with materials. He stops and stares at them for a moment. Maybe he needs to try with Jongin. He’s his husband after all, so maybe he should try to smooth things over. He bites his lip as he glances over to look at the man’s attire. Black. Always seem to wear black. Humming a bit, he decides on it. He wants to make him a nice gift. Heading over to the woman, he smiles. “Excuse me, but which one would you say is your most finely made one?”

 

“Oh, o-of course!” She rounds the corner, leading him over to a table. “These are all of our finest ones! Made from the finest materials!”

 

“Oh, they’re so soft,” He hums as he touches the soft yarn. He has to be very careful about this one. If Jongin hates the feeling, it’ll probably make everything worse for him; and he’ll have wasted his time for nothing. But he stops when his hand lands on a certain one. It feels beautiful, perfect. He brings it to his cheek and sighs happily. His smile falters when he sees the price. “Oh, the price is…”

 

“Sehun!” Jongin hisses.

 

“R-right,” The prince gasps. “N-not worrying, what so ever!”

 

With guilt riddling him, he gently sets it in his bag. It’s okay since it’s for Jongin, right? What if he messes up and wastes such beautiful yarn? He hasn’t messed up a scarf since he was a kid, so he isn’t sure why he’s so worried now. “Okay, I am done,” He announces. He jumps a bit when Jongin snatches the bag and heads up to the counter. He watches with furrowed brows and confusion. What’s with that man? Is he just pretending to be nice for his people? No, he’s heard what everyone says. They already know he’s a cold-hearted man. As soon as he pays, he hands the bag back to Sehun and leaves without another word; motioning for them to both follow. They look at each other in confusion before doing as he says. “T-thank you!” Sehun calls out before leaving the shop. “You like blue, right?” He asks.

 

“How did you know?” Junmyeon replies with surprise.

 

“The other servants,” He admits sheepishly as they follow the cold Prince. “I want to make you something too.”

 

“Oh, you do not have to.”

 

“I want to! I-it is almost winter soon and I worry for you all…”

 

“You are too kind,” Junmyeon sighs. They both look to Jongin before the servant leans in closer. “You are thinking of making his highness a gift?” He whispers.

 

“Yes,” Sehun nods slowly. “I hope it will smooth things between us a bit; a sign that I mean well.”

 

“It is a good plan.”

 

“You think?”

 

“Of course. It is good you want to get on his good side.”

 

“Where is he going?” 

 

Junmyeon chuckles as he takes Sehun’s bag for him. “I imagine he is forcing us to follow him as he gets what he needs.”

 

“Junmyeon, did you use to serve Jongin?”

 

“No, not me,” he chuckles. “Prince Jongin hates having a personal servant, so he tends to himself.”

 

“That...is kind of odd for a prince, right?”

 

Junmyeon nods. “It is.”

 

“Stop lagging behind, you two!” Jongin snaps, causing the two to both jump. They laugh like schoolboys before quickening their pace to catch up.



 

Sehun lays out all of his new yarn on his bed, lining them up and organizing them by color. He stops when he looks to the painting; taking its beauty in again. It’s not because of him that makes it so gorgeous, but the actual painting skill itself. He bites his lip and thinks about the painter. He wonders what he’s like. Is he nice and handsome? Sehun frowns. He’s married. He can’t even think about these kinds of things. But it wouldn’t hurt to meet him, would it? Of course not. He sighs as he looks among the yarn and finally grabs the black one he got for Jongin. He should start right away, so he can get it done soon. After tucking it into a bag, as well as his other tools, he quickly makes his way out of the room and toward the garden. When he sees his husband, he slows down a bit. He stares at him as he sits, a book of poetry in his hands. He knows Jongin told him not to speak with him but he can’t help it. “J-Jongin?”

 

The cold prince glances up, his brow now furrowed. “I am sorry but I just wanted to thank you for giving Junmyeon and I a ride yesterday.”

 

“It is fine,” Jongin mutters before looking back to his book. Sehun watches him closely, smiling at how peaceful he looks when he reads. Not wanting to bother the prince, Sehun continues on his way. Perhaps Jongin isn’t as bad as he had originally thought.