Death of a Painter

Cold Eyes

 

Sehun folds his hands on his lap, every so often fiddling with the black lace at the end of his sleeve. He watches nervously as a blindfold is tightly wrapped around Zitao’s eyes; as per the prince’s request. He’s seated beside Jongin, with the King in the seat over. Even if the artist had done the crime, Sehun isn’t sure he’s ready for this. He swallows hard and accepts the hand that Jongin offers him; tightly gripping it. “I do not think I am prepared for this,” he whispers. “Can I...look away?” He asks, glancing up at Junmyeon. His servant smiles sadly and nods. Sehun has never been to an execution before. Of course, his parents had held them before for criminals. But Sehun never attended. His brother, on the other hand, did. Everytime. The thought of his brother makes him feel sick. The prince swallows hard as a noose is placed around the Painter’s neck and tightened.

 

“Gods,” he murmurs under his breath. In all honesty, Sehun would have been ok with the man rotting in prison. He knows he wanted the man dead before, now he’s unsure. His husband, however, demanded the man be hung and killed for everything he had done to Sehun. The executioner steps up and a priest begins to read Zitao his rights. Talking about his crimes against the two kingdom, assisting in the assassination of the King and Queen. Sehun can feel a bead of sweat run down his face. Everyone goes silent when Zitao is allowed his last words. The man pauses, a smile on his face. It feels like an eternity before the man speaks but when he does, he does so in Chinese. “I did it all for love.” That makes him sick.

 

“Huang Zi Tao, May the gods have mercy upon your soul,” The priest finishes. The prince sits up slowly as the execution grabs onto the lever tightly. When the King gives the signal, it’s pulled. Sehun gasps and turns to hide his face in his husband’s shoulder, shutting his eyes tightly. The sound is horrible. There’s the sound of the floor beneath the Chinese man falling, a snap, and the straining of rope following soon after. Everyone and everything goes silent but Sehun doesn't look. He won’t look. 

 

“It’s over,” Jongin whispers. The cold prince takes Sehun by the hand, putting his other hand over his head to keep his eyes covered as they stand. He seems to whisper something to his father before leading the prince away; Junmyeon and Kyungsoo follow close behind. As soon as they’re away from the horrific scene, Jongin lets go of his husband and smiles. Regardless of not seeing anything, he still feels sick. He groans softly and gently rubs his stomach. “Sehun…”

 

“Did...did you see him?” He asks quietly. 

 

“Yes, he is dead.”

 

Sehun takes a deep breath, putting his hands over his beating heart. “Was...was that really the only way?”

 

“Yes,” Kyungsoo speaks up. “Even if we had sentenced him to life in prison, he would have found a way to escape and continue to make your life miserable. He would slowly kill everyone you love, one at a time; starting with your favorite servants and eventually making his way up to your husband. And in the very end, if you did not return his affections, he would have killed you.”

 

Junmyeon stares at his friend oddly before sighing. “Kyungsoo is correct. He would have continued tormenting you...this was the only way.”

 

Sehun glances back at the door they had just entered, the sound of that snap and the snag of the rope is still clear in this mind. “That was so horrible...”

 

“But it is almost over, love,” Jongin says quietly. “Just...your brother and his strategist’s execution and it will be all over.”

 

The prince nods, rubbing his face with the back of his hand. “I am so very tired of this.”

 

“I know, Sehun,” Junmyeon says. “Just a little longer…”

 

Sehun nods and hugs himself tightly. “I...i think I want to sleep early tonight.”

 

“What about dinner?” Kyungsoo asks. “If you wish, you could have dinner with the rest of us. Even Prince Jongin is welcome.”

 

“Oh, thank you,” Jongin thanks him sarcastically, but Sehun can tell it’s playful. 

 

“I know you are more comfortable with us.”

 

Sehun smiles tightly. From the way his stomach feels, he doesn’t feel sick. “Thank you for the offer but I...I am not very hungry.”

 

“Very well, I will-”

 

“Both of you, take the day off,” Jongin interrupts. “You and the rest of the servants.”

 

“What?” Junmyeon looks at him oddly. “The day off?”

 

“Yes,” Jongin smiles, taking Sehun by the arm. “We will see you two in the morning.” Without another word, he leads the prince down the hall, toward their room. As soon as they’re inside, Sehun slowly begins to remove his clothes. “Sehun.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I am sorry that you had to attend.”

 

“It is alright,” He sighs. “I understand. I am your husband now, I…” He shakes his head. “It is worse that I knew him, spoke to him. I...I at one more, was even beginning to develop feelings for him.” He looks at his husband and smiles. “Before I fell in love with you, I mean.”

 

Jongin looks a bit sheepish at that, turning away to hide his blush. The prince smiles at that. He glances out the window and at the setting sun. He has a feeling he won’t be able to sleep tonight.



 

Sehun stares at the ceiling, his head resting on his husband’s inner arm, near his shoulder. A position they’ve both grown to find the most comfortable. He can hear Jongin’s breathing. His inhale and exhale, peaceful expression illuminated under the moonlight shining into the room. The prince sighs and slowly sits up, careful not to wake his partner up. He gets out of bed, fixing his side of the bed. Sehun pulls on his black poet shirt and matching cotton pants, keeping his calves and feet bare. After lighting a candle, he picks it up by it;s holder, helping him see better as he takes slow, silent steps out of his bedroom and down the hall. The Prince smiles and nods to one of the guards, despite his confusion in his eyes.

 

“Your majesty,” A guard says, sitting up. “What are you doing out here so late?”

 

Sehun looks over at the door leading to the dungeon and swallows hard. “Do you think it is possible for me to...visit my brother?”

 

The man stares at him before glancing back as well. “Your...brother.”

 

“You may search me if need be,” Sehun offers. “I...do not intend to try and release him,” He shakes his head. “I need...closure.”

 

The guard sighs. “Nasty business, your majesty. My condolences. To be sold out by your own brother. Very well,” He agrees before unlocking the door. “Do not get too close.”

 

“I will not,” He nods. “Thank you.” Without another word, Sehun makes his way down the dimly lit staircase; feeling more nervous as he walks. Sehun stops momentarily at the bottom, trying to regain his confidence. The only thing he can hear inside the silence is his footstep as he finally goes forward. He stops in front of a barred door, squinting inside. His brother inside is awake, that much is obvious; sitting on the poorly made bed. It’s dark inside, only being illuminated by Sehun’s candle.

 

“B-brother?” The man slowly looks up, meeting Sehun’s eyes through the bars.

 

“Oh,” He sighs, standing up and approaching. “What are you doing here?” But when he grabs the bars, Sehun takes a cacious step back. “What? Do you think I would hurt you?”

 

“I do not know,” He whispers. “You were going to give me away to my stalker; that, in itself, hurts.”

 

His brother takes a deep breath. “Why did you come down here?”

 

Sehun pulls up a stool, sitting down on it. “I have questions.”

 

“Then I have answers. Ask me now before they decide to kill me.”

 

“Brother…”

 

“Many people want me dead,” He sighs, resting his head against the bars. “Go. Ask me.”

 

“O-okay,” Sehun whispers. “One thing that has been bothering me...is Junmyeon.”

 

“Who?”

 

“My personal servant. You met him when we visited.”

 

“Right, yes. The noble in servant’s garment. Strange.”

 

“Why did you go after him?”

 

His brother pushes his short, black hair and shakes his head. He looks tired. Very tired. “I only hired Zitao to kill our parents. Prince Jongin was his desire, not mine,” He pauses. “I had wanted Jongin alive, to take care of you.”

 

“Take care of me?” Sehun frowns. “You would have given me to Zitao!”

 

“No,” He says. “I would not have.”

 

He furrows his brows. “What?”

 

“I used Zitao. I used hisd infatuation with you to get what I needed from him...I was never going to give you to him - if you do not believe me, ask my strategist.”

 

“Where is he?”

 

“I suspect he is being held In a different dungeon,” he shrugs. “Back to your original question, I did not tell him to hurt your servant.”

 

Sehun frowns. “So, what? Yifan just...decided to attack my servant?”

 

“The man was a lunatic,” His brother scoffs. “Are you surprised? Perhaps he saw Junmyeon as a threat. The less people around you, the easier for you to be claimed, I imagine. Talking to him was nearly impossible without mentioning you.”

 

“I see,” The prince whispers. “What...what mistakes did father make? You had mentioned it…”

 

“Well,” He shrugs. “I thought the way father ran the kingdom led to it being attacked easily. He made alliances with weak kingdoms and for what? Silks, and other jewels instead of military and strength. You would not have had to be married to Prince Jongin if he did things correctly, Sehun.” Sehun stands and approaches his brother. “I suppose I wanted to...keep you innocent, care-free. When mother and father told me they were to marry you to that man...such a cold, heartless man,” he sighs. “I was so angry, brother. I agreed with the military alliances but I do not see why they  did not marry me off first; I am the oldest, after all,” he rants. “They could have married me to a Princess with just as much strength as Jongin’s kingdom.”

 

“Brother…”

 

“I...asked father about this and he told me that with your innocence and charm, you were easier to find a husband for.”

 

Sehun smiles at that. Swallowing hard, he reaches inside and grabs his brother’s hands. When his brother holds him back, tightly, tears begin to fill his eyes. “Oh, gods,” he whispers, his voice shaking. “You…” He presses his forehead against the bars as well; ignoring the dirt that gets on his skin. “You did all of this to protect me and our kingdom.”

 

“Yes…”

 

“A-and now I am trying to have you executed-  I am...such a horrid person!” He looks up into his sibling’s dark eyes. “Brother, I-I can have the execution stopped. You would have to be stuck in prison but y-you…”

 

“Darling Sehun,” His brother sighs. He shakes his head. “The people of our kingdom, of Jongin’s kingdom, and the council,” He begins. “They want me dead.”

 

“W-what?” He frowns. “T-they made their decision?!”

 

“If you go back on the execution, you will appear weak and so will Jongin,” He says. “By executing me, your brother, you will show to everyone that you are strong enough to lead.”

 

“What are you saying?!”

 

“Baby brother, who else will have to take my spot as rightful king?” He asks. “We have no other siblings. Jongin and you will have to take my spot on the throne. But I know you...you can do it.” Sehun keeps shaking his head, tears falling. “Sehun.”

 

“N-no,” He wails, clinging to his brother’s arm like he’s a child. “I can not!”

 

“You must!” He puts a hand on Sehun’s cheek. “You have to, Sehun! We were weak, too weak but YOU are not. You have gotten so strong!”

 

Sehun closes his eyes tightly as he sobs, his shoulders shaking. His chest hurts, all of him hurts. His heart, stomach, head. He wishes he could go back and time and do things differently. But what would he do? Hide his brother’s involvement? Made it seem as if it were only the strategist’s horrid plan. How could he do this? To his own brother. The same man he’s found comfort in, so many times before. “Jongin is...treat you well?”

 

Sehun sniffs. “Y-yes.”

 

“And he loves you? Protects you?”

 

“Yes,” Sehun repeats, nodding now. 

 

“I see,” he sighs. “The rumors were a lie, then.”

 

“No,” he laughs, wiping his tears with his sleeve. “Jongin was a jerk when I first met him.”

 

“Yeah?” He laughs too now. “How so?”

 

“He just...had all of these silly rules,” he admits. “I was not allowed to speak to him first, I was to not speak back, to not look him in the eye...i was to not be late when he called for me.”

 

“What a tight ,” his brother snorts; causing Sehun to cover his mouth, hiding his amused smile. “So, you changed him.”

 

“Yes...I suppose so.”

 

“If anyone could, it would be you,” He says. “You always had a way with people, with your charm. There was no way Jongin would not fall for you. Stubborn, persistent, loving, and loyal.”

 

“Loyal…” He swallows hard. “Then why are you here.”

 

His brother chuckles. “Because I killed our parents and your own loyalty to them…” His smile falters and he stands up straight. “Sehun, please do me...three last favors.”

 

“O-of course, anything!”

 

He takes a deep breath. “First, No matter how you feel, continue with the execution.” When Sehun opens his mouth to protest, he puts a hand up. “Second, do not come to my execution.”

 

“W-what?”

 

“I do not want you seeing it. I know you had to go to Zitao...but I do not want you at mine.” he stares intensely into Sehun’s eyes, practically begging. His younger brother finally nods. “And third…” His smile is sad. “Do not change. Keep loving the same way you do now. Stay kind, sweet, and soft. I know you have to become a bit hardened, which you have. And you will need that for when Jongin and you become kings. But let Jongin be the hard, cruel hand,” He says. “Stay a kind husband. My...darling brother.” He swallows hard. “You need to keep loving as hard and fiercely as you do now.” Sehun tries not to cry again, his lower lip quivering. He begrudgingly nods. He’s afraid if he speaks, it will all come out. He leans forward, allowing his brother to kiss him tightly on the forehead and both of his cheeks.

 

“B-big brother-”

 

“I love you, Sehun. I want you to know that everything I did...was out of love.”

 

Sehun believes his brother. Not like when Zitao said it. Because he genuinely believes his sibling had done it all for him and their kingdom; they had always been so close with each other, way closer than with their parents. “I...I love you too, big brother.” Sehun’s brother pulls back, forcing his hand away gently when the prince refuses to let go. He slowly turns and kneels down ignorant of the barred window, praying now. Sehun stares at him for a moment before slowly picking up his candle and backing up. The tears return as he walks away. Wet ropes fall down like the fiercest waterfalls. He wails and blubbers like a child. He tries to thank the guard when he leaves but it just comes out as gibberish weeping. The prince quickly returns to his room and blows the candle out.

 

After shedding off his clothes, he crawls back into the warm of his bed. And beside his husband. He tries to be quiet with his crying but he can’t help it. It grows louder and louder as he hurts more and more. Jongin wakes up quickly and tries to speak with him. When he’s incoherent, his husband just wraps his arms tightly around him and holds him. Sehun shakes, shivers, trembles, wailing loudly into the cold prince’s chest. This morning he was so sure of his brother’s guilt. Of how selfish and disgusting he is. But now all of it crumbles, he crumbles. He tightly grips onto Jongin’s arms. He feels lost. So damned lost. In a few days, Sehun is going to lose the last of his family. And now, more than ever, he feels absolutely and completely...lost. 

-------------------------------------------------