Lessons

Cold Eyes

 

 

Just as Junmyeon request, Sehun came to see the sparring match between himself and Jongin. It’s more of a favor; seeming to want the prince’s moral support. He sits in a chair the other servants prepared for him, at first denying the snacks they offered; but ultimately he couldn’t resist the temptation of sweets. He blushes when he finally takes a small cake and Kyungsoo gives him a knowing smile. “You brought sweets to entice me, didn’t you?”

 

“I did,” Kyungsoo admits as he gives the prince a heart-shaped smile. Sehun laughs softly, looking back to the courtyard. He watches as Junmyeon and Jongin step in and begin to officially prepare. They both pull their shirts off to reveal their bare chests. Sehun raises his brows in surprise when he sees his servant’s light but taut abs. “W-whoa!”

 

“I know,” Kyungsoo chuckles. “We all are in shape but Junmyeon and Chanyeol are more so; they used to be in a war together, I think. They used to be soldiers.”

 

“Soldiers?” He turns to look at the two. “Has...Jongin ever been in a war?”

 

“No, not yet.”

 

“So, Junmyeon has more experience in battle.”

 

“Yes. Basically, Jongin...is about to get destroyed.”

 

Sehun slowly sips his tea as the match starts. They’re both handed a bo staff and begin to slowly circle each other; their gaze trained on each other. Jongin makes the first move as he swings the staff around; Junmyeon easily ducks down and brings his own weapon up, smacking the Prince’s knees hard. Sehun’s husband grunts but he seems to hold his ground. The servant rolls back when Jongin brings his weapon down and swings the staff up. The end of the wood smacks the Prince square in the jaw and chin; forcing the man to stumble back. Sehun sits at the edge of his seat, watching with wide eyes. This is going to be a long match.



 

Jongin is only able to get one or two hits in; which according to Kyungsoo, Junmyeon lets him get in. But ultimately, Junmyeon easily overpowers the prince. He’s much more skilled than Jongin and it’s obvious. As soon as the servant gets Junmyeon to the ground, he presses the tip of his staff against the man’s throat; symbolizing death. Much to Sehun’s surprise, the Prince slowly grins. The servant steps back and quickly helps him up. Jongin sighs as he dusts off his dirty pants. “You fight well, Junmyeon.”

 

“Thank you, your grace,” Junmyeon bows. “You fought well.”

 

“I fought well?” The Prince sighs. “I was barely able to keep up with you.”

 

“You’re being modest, your highness. You have a good form.”

 

Jongin slowly nods. “I request that you teach me.”

 

“I refuse.”

 

The Prince raises a brow. “What?”

 

“I am already Prince Sehun’s personal servant,” He replies. “If I may recommend another teacher, Chanyeol is a very good fighter as well. Thank you,” After another bow, he turns and heads over to retrieve his shirt. But instead of putting it back on, he heads off back into the castle; seemingly toward the servant ward. Sehun stares after him until he disappears, soon turning his head back toward Jongin. When his husband looks over, the Prince gives him a supportive smile. But it disappears when Jongin turns away and leaves as well. He lets out a sigh and sits back. Pulling up his knees, he hugs them with one hand as he uses the other to stuff his face with sweets. Kyungsoo stands by his side and seems to watch him closely. The servant purses his lips as if he were suddenly thinking hard.

 

“What’s wrong?” 

 

“I have...an idea,” The servant begins as he glances over to where Jongin left. “That will perhaps get the prince to open up to you.”

 

Sehun looks around at the courtyard and furrows his brow. “Oh, I‘m not a fighter, Kyungsoo.”

 

“No, no,” Kyungsoo waves his hands before pouring some more tea for him. “What if...you had something to teach him?”

 

“Like knitting?” Sehun asks in confusion.

 

“Not knitting, no. Junmyeon told me you dance well, is that true?”

 

Sehun blushes but he can’t stop his small smile. “Yes. I love dancing…”

 

“Prince Jongin is horrible at it,” Kyungsoo chuckles. “It is why he never dances at any festivals, balls; that has to change and he just keeps refusing every teacher we find him.”

 

The prince sighs after he eats more chocolate. “My loving husband would never accept me.”

 

“I am sure there is a way to convince him. What if we set something up?” He offers. “We could perhaps have you practice with Junmyeon in a room and at the same time, I could lead Prince Jongin to stop and watch.”

 

Sehun stares at the courtyard for a moment, really thinking about it. It wouldn’t exactly hurt because he practices anyways. The worst-case scenario, Jongin just walks away with zero interest. He lets out a soft sigh and shrugs. “Well, alright. If you think it is a good try, I will trust you.”

 

Kyungsoo smiles and nods as he offers a plate of mini cakes. “Cupcake?”



 

“I think this is a ridiculous plan,” Sehun sighs as he watches Yixing enter the room and head for the piano in the corner. 

 

Junmyeon waves his hand dismissively. “Nonsense, it is a very good plan,” he says. “Come here, Sehun.”

 

Sehun smiles and nods. When it’s just him and the servants, he convinced them to just call him by his name; no honorifics. It makes him feel welcomed and at home. After standing, he lets out a sigh and approaches. They get into dance position, hand in hand, hand on waist. As soon as the music begins, they feel familiar with each other by now and easily begin their waltz together. “Where did you learn to dance, Junmyeon?”

 

“Oh, when I was a child,” His servant answers. “My parents taught me many things before I joined the military.”

 

“I see,” Sehun smiles. “That’s amazing...were you born poor?”

 

“No, not quite,” Junmyeon chuckles. “I was born...I suppose the middle class.”

 

“What are you doing working as a servant?”

 

“It is my choice.”

 

“Your choice? But why?”

 

“I...that is a long story, Sehun. I promise I will tell you sometime.” His smile fades a bit before leaning over to whisper into Sehun’s ear. “Do not look now. Jongin is watching so just keep dancing.”

 

“Right,” He whispers back. He tries to focus on his movement, finding it easy even while being watched. He used to have a small audience back at home when he practiced; some of the servants gathered to see him. But it feels different now. Jongin’s eyes gaze into the room and straight onto him. He takes a deep breath as he moves his feet. He flows gracefully, an immensely better dancer than Junmyeon or anyone he knows; even more so than his own mother. She had even told him so. He can’t help but let out a soft laugh when Junmyeon stubbles a bit. He clears his throat and straightens up. They come back together into a dancing position and begin their movement once again. “Is he still there?” He asks in a low voice.

 

“Yes.”

 

When he glances from the side of his eye, his heart flutters when he sees Jongin watch him as he leans against the doorway. He quickly makes eye contact back with Junmyeon and gives him a sheepish smile. He can feel himself begin to get nervous but continues on. When Yixing’s beautiful piano music comes to a slow stop, Sehun lets go of his partner’s and takes a step back. When Junmyeon bows, the prince nods his head. “Thank you for allowing me to practice your dancing, Prince Sehun.”

 

“You are welcome,” Sehun says, proudly folding his hands politely. He watches as Junmyeo stands up straight fixes his coat.

 

“Ah, Prince Jongin,” The servant says with false surprise.

 

Sehun looks over as well, giving Jongin a loving smile. “Hello, Prince Jongin,” He greets with a gentle bow of his head. He watches as his husband stands up straight as well.

 

“You dance well,” He compliments, a hint of surprise in his voice. After staring at the two for a moment, he glances back at Kyungsoo. With a nod, he looks to Sehun. “You will teach me.”

 

Sehun raises his brows. “Pardon?”

 

“We have a ball in two weeks,” Jongin explains. “You will teach me how to dance. They will expect their future kings to dance...I will look like a fool if I do.”

 

“I…” He swallows nervously. “Very well Prince jongin. Thank you for the opportunity.”

 

Jongin stares at him for a moment. For some strange reason, he glances at Sehun’s pale hands and narrows his eyes. “You will not learn how to fight.”

 

“What?” Sehun glances at his hands and then toward his husband.

 

“Kyungsoo joked about teaching you to fight,” Jongin scoffs. He looks Sehun up and down again, something strange in his eyes. “You are far too delicate...and you should stay that way.” Without another word, the prince motions to Kyungsoo and the two walk along. Sehun stares after him for a moment before looking to Junmyeon. The servant grins and nods, giving him an uncharacteristic thumbs up. The prince brings his hand up to his mouth and lets out yet another laugh. It might be just dance lessons but it’s something.

 

“It is settled” The servant speaks up. “Your dance lessons with Prince Jongin will start tomorrow.”

 

“Tomorrow?!” Sehun gasps, turning to watch as Junmyeon pull his jacket back on. “S-so soon?”

 

“Indeed. The Prince is a very impatient man; he will likely want to start right away.”

 

“Why on earth did I agree to this?” He sighs, slowly sitting at the now empty piano. Anxiety rises in his stomach and he has to stop his lunch from coming back up. It’ll be fine. It has to be.

----------------

Sorry for the short chapter! Next one will be better! :)