Stalked and Loved

Cold Eyes

 

 

Jongin wasn’t lying when he said he wasn’t going to go easy. He ends up with several bruises on his body. He’s sore but nothing a nice, warm bath won’t help. And his husband does feel terrible. Asking him if he’s alright afterward and seemingly worried every time they start and end. He kisses his cheek and apologizes. But Sehun assures him it’s alright and he didn’t expect any less. But he notices his husband is a lot easier on him than the other people he trains. Which is one of Sehun’s favorite things to do; to watch Jongin train shirtless, sweaty under the sun.

 

He hums dreamily and leans back in his chair- resting his chin on his hands. “Are you enjoying the view?” Junmyeon jokes, setting a cup of tea down.

 

Sehun blushes and waves his hand. “P-please,” he huffs. “I am just sitting here supporting my husband and enjoying the nice, delicious desserts that Yixing so kindly...prepared for me.”

 

“Hmm, indeed,” his servant laughs, sitting as well. “Sehun, we have not gotten the chance to sit and speak with each other. With everything going on, I want to make sure that you are doing alright; physically and emotionally.”

 

“Well,” Sehun sips his tea. “I still have nightmares from that assassin attacks, except in my dreams...He,” He swallows hard. “He slit my throat and the next thing I know, I am standing over my body...in a coffin beside my parents.”

 

Junmyeon smiles sadly before leaning over and grabbing Sehun’s hand. “Sehun, you are safe. You have the best protection possible,” He nods to Jongin. “And all of us are looking out for you.”

 

Sehun nods and returns the kind expression. “Thank you, Junmyeon. I am just...sick of waking up screaming, sweating, crying,” He confesses. “I...I feel bad for Jongin.”

 

“For Jongin? How come?”

 

“Because of my ridiculous wailing every night, Junmyeon. God, he comforts me and tells me he does not mind b-but I…”

 

“Sehun, your trauma is not a burden. I do not think so, the other boys do not think so, and Jongin certainly does not think so.”

 

Sehun smiles when Jongin approaches, panting heavily. “Hello, ‘dear’,” He mocks playfully. 

 

“Hilarious,” His husband scoffs. “If you keep that up, you are asking to be spank- Junmyeon!” Jongin coughs awkwardly, seeming to only just notice the servant. Sehun blushes but he grins. “I...Are you well?”

 

“Yes, Prince Jongin,” Junmyeon calmly sips his tea, not bothered. “You did well out there.”

 

“I agree! Y-you looked amazing!”

 

Jongin smiles lazily down at him. “I did, did I?” He leans down and kisses Sehun’s forehead. “I have meetings all day so I can not stay. Please, look after him Junmyeon.”

 

“I always do, your grace,” The servant chuckles, both of them watching as the cold prince walks away. 

 

Sehun bites his lip shyly. It really is amazing how sweet Jongin is acting lately, how close they’ve become. Sehun might even admit that he’s falling in love with the man. The thought causes his smile to falter. He thinks about Zitao. That makes him feel guilty. He clears his throat and stands. “Junmyeon, would you like to accompany me into town?”

 

“Of course, Sehun,” The servant hums, standing as well. “Do you have a business in town?”

 

“Well, I need more yarn and um...I want to visit Zitao.”

 

“Really?” 

 

“It is not what you think,” Sehun chuckles. “I want to settle things...yes, I was thinking of seeing him romantically in the past but things between Jongin and I are going really well.” They make their way to Sehun’s room for a quick moment to grab his coat and dagger. “I am not too worried about the assassin before you ask.”

 

“You should be. This assassin may not have struck yet but we should remain vigilant.”

 

“Yes, of course,” Sehun agrees. “But I really am not worried.”

 

“Chanyeol,” Junmyeon calls out, gaining the tall man’s attention. “Are you busy?”

 

“Me?” He shakes his head and jogs over to them. “Why? What’s up?”

 

“Do you mind coming into town with us?”

 

Sehun puts his hands on his hips. “Come now, I do not need two servants with me.”

 

“Bodyguards,” Chanyeol corrects him proudly. “We’re bodyguards, Sehun. No assassin is gonna even breathe on you with us around!”

 

Sehun sighs and smiles. He appreciates the sentiment. Giving up, he allows the two boys to walk beside him as they head for town. 



 

“Zitao is a very kind, sweet, talented, and handsome man,” he explains. “But it will not work.”

 

“Because of Jongin,” Chanyeol says,

 

“Yes.”

 

“And you’re going into town to let him down gently?”

 

“Yes, precisely,” Sehun smiles at him as they reach the center of town. He hums and takes a glance around. “Zitao usually likes to relax on a hill overlooking the town as he paints.” He begins to get nervous when he finally sees the painter; surely enough, on his usual spot. He is a bit confused though when he sees another man beside him. As soon as they’re close enough, Sehun forces a smile again. “Zitao!”

 

Zitao’s face brightens when he notices the prince, quickly setting his brush down. “Can you guys wait here?” He whispers to the two servants. They look a bit uncomfortable at that but they do as he says. He walks up the short hill to meet the painter and his mysterious friend. 

 

“Sehun, I am very happy you came,” Zitao beams. “I want you to meet my friend, Wu Yi Fan.”

 

The man that steps forward is intimidating, standing two or three inches taller than Sehun. His short hair black but neat and his gaze cold, deadly, almost venomous. “Yifan, It is lovely to meet you,” Sehun greets, nodding. 

 

The man’s eyes never once leaves Sehun’s as he bows. “And you, Prince Sehun.”

 

Sehun’s smile disappears when he hears the man’s deep voice. The same voice he heard from that assassin. The man who apparently killed his parents. The same man who is after Jongin. And from the look in Yifan’s eyes, he knows the prince knows. He slowly smiles challengingly. He tries not to panic and to keep a pleasant expression. “H-have you been friends with Zitao long?”

 

“Yes,” Yifan answers simply.

 

“Aha,” Zitao pats Yifan’s back. “We have been friends for several years! He sometimes comes to visit me here.”

 

“Ah,” Sehun swallows hard. “Pleasure or business?”

 

“A little bit of both,” Zitao’s friend replies curtly. He jumps nit when Zitao steps up and grabs his hands. “Sehun, I am glad you are here. I am so happy you have returned from your old kingdom safely.”

 

Sehun stares at Zitao, unsure what to say. He didn’t tell anyone that he went to his old home. None of them did. So why would he ask that? “Yes,” He says quietly, He takes a deep breath when the painter kisses his cheek. “I um...I was very glad I came, Zitao. I should be getting back to the castle,” He whispers as he subconsciously touches his neck. He looks to Yifan and he’s suddenly scared. The warmth in the painter’s eyes changes and he looks almost irritated.

 

“Sehun,” He says firmly. He furrows his brows when Sehun slowly begins to back up. “Sehun, why are you backing up?”

 

“N-no reason,” He laughs nervously. “I just have to go.”

 

Zitao glares at him before turning to look at Yifan. “What did I tell you? I told you to keep him out of the way! He was not to be hurt.”

 

Yifan rolls his eyes and crosses his arms, remaining silent. Sehun widens his eyes. “Zitao, what did you do?” He whispers. “What...did you do?!”

 

The painter lets out a frustrated sigh, mumbling something in Chinese. He slowly pulls off his apron and sets it to the side. “Sehun, please do not be angry.”

 

“B-be angry at what?” He glances at the assassin briefly.

 

“Everything I did, I did for you,” The painter tries to explain. “When I first laid eyes on you at your wedding, I saw how...how sad but beautiful you wear. Jongin did not deserve you, did not deserve such a cruel, hateful man. You are wasted with that man, Sehun!”

 

Sehun begins to breathe heavily as realization makes his chest heavy. “Y-you...you killed my parents, Zitao.” He flinches when the painter takes a sudden step closer to him, grabbing the prince’s arm tightly. 

 

“Your parents sent you from your home and into the arms of a horrible, selfish prick. You are like a flower, my darling, without proper love and affection, you will wither away!”

 

“A-and this is love?” He gasps. “Killing my parents, my HUSBAND?” He grimaces when the man’s grip tightens.

 

“I am the only one who truly loves you, Sehun,” Zitao practically purrs. Sehun can feel himself begin to tremble at how close their faces are.

 

“You hurt me though,” He murmurs. “Your friend…”

 

“Oh no, no,” Zitao uses his free hand to grab Sehun’s cheek roughly. “My love, my dear, that...was a small, small little pain, okay? I just wanted to make sure you would not get truly hurt,” He motions to Yifan. “My friend would have never killed or done any true harm to you. Yifan, tell him!”

 

The assassin crosses his arms. “I only do what I am paid to do.”

 

“Y-you paid him to hurt me.” 

 

“Just a little!” He snaps. The prince whimpers in pain when the man’s hand on his cheek tightens.

 

“You...you are hurting me,” He quivers. When Zitao doesn’t let go, he swallows hard. He tries to remember everything Jongin taught him. “Let me go, T-tao.”

 

“I love you,” The painter’s breath as shaky as he smiles. “You are so beautiful, Sehun.”

 

“I said,” He grabs his dagger from inside his belt. “Let me go! With a swift motion, he brings his sharp weapon up and angled against Zitao’s chest. He doesn’t think he reaches the man’s flesh but startles him enough to let go with a yelp. Sehun takes a step back and brings his dagger up into a defensive position. 

 

Zitao stares at him in bewilderment. “My darling, my flower, what are you doing? Why did you attack me?” Sehun sniffs and watches as Yifan goes for his own weapon. “No! Do not hurt him, Yifan!”

 

“But he attacked you.”

 

“Oh, no, he is just scared,” the painter chuckles. “As soon as you calm down, Sehun, you will realize all the good I am doing you. You will realize how much I love you a-and when Jongin is out of the picture, you will have no obligations to him and we can be together; just like you want.”

 

“What?” Sehun asks in confusion. “I never wanted this!”

 

“Yes, you did!” Zitao’s shouting seems to get the attention of Sehun’s servant’s below. “You told me with your eyes! We made eye contact at the wedding a-and it was then that I knew what I had to do- what you wanted me to do. You wanted someone to take you from all that pain and suffering you would have to endure with that man,” He huffs. “You said it yourself, Sehun. You told me that he is cold and he does not care for you!”

 

“Then what of my parents?!” Sehun begins to raise his voice too. His servants below start to walk up quickly towards them.

 

“I had to punish them, Sehun, as I said! I punished them because they did not love you, no one but me does! If they loved you, they would not have sent you to your misery,” He pants heavily. “They sent their innocent, sweet son here!”

 

“But why do you care?! If they had no sent me here, we would have never met!”

 

Zitao shakes his head. “My flower, that is not true. I have been in your life for a very, very long time. I have been here much longer than Jongin has!”

 

Sehun freezes, his blood running cold. He opens his mouth to speak but nothing comes to mind. And that’s when it hits him. He slowly pulls the book out from his jacket and stares at it. “Oh my god,” he whispers. “You…”

 

The painter nods and smiles. “I have been with you for so long a-and when you finally spoke to me after all these years.”

 

“Oh my god.” Sehun starts to back up again, dropping his book in the meanwhile. Tears fill his eyes, all of him shakes. Zitao has known him all of these years. 

 

“Sehun?!” Junmyeon calls out. “Sehun, are you okay?!”

 

“Yes!” Zitao grins. “Sehun, flower, darling- tell them you are okay and come into my arms.”

 

Sehun slowly shakes his head. “N-no,” He begins to cry softly. He quickly turns and begins to run down the hill. Panic fills him when he hears the two men give chase.

 

“You are supposed to be MY husband, Sehun!” Zitao shrieks.

 

Sehun sobs now, sheathing his dagger and trying to not trip down the slope. “G-go,” He orders his servants. “Do not look back, just let it go and come with me.” The two boys look confused but they do as he says. But as they quickly make their way back to the center of town, they seem to keep a hand on their sword and an eye on the hill. An overwhelming sense of dread fills him, his throat and mouth dry. He sweats heavily, he shakes, shivers, his vision becomes like a fisheye lens. That’s when he can’t handle it. He grabs his head, his vision beginning to fade. “N-no,” He gasps.

 

“Sehun?!” Chanyeol grabs him, trying to help keep him standing.”

 

‘I can’t...I can’t-” First, everything becomes dizzy. The last thing he saw before darkness consumes him is his two servants, watching as he collapses to the ground.



 

Sehun groans softly as he opens his eyes, blinking a few times to adjust to the light that shines through a nearby window. He slowly sits and looks around. When seeing a mug of water, he reaches over and downs it. When his mind is finally clear, he can see that he’s safely in his bed; no one else inside. The last thing he remembers is passing out right in the middle of the town center after he ran from Zitao. He widens his eyes and quickly stands up. Zitao. He has to tell Jongin and the others.

 

The prince quickly exits and enters the hallway, ignoring the fact that he’s barefoot and in nothing but his white tunic and cotton pants. Knowing where Jongin would be during this time of day, he practically slams the doors open; causing his husband and the other servants to jump. He stares at them all for a moment before stepping in and shutting the doors behind him. “What are you doing out of bed?” Junmyeon scolds.

 

“I can not be in bed,” Sehun says groggily and walks to the table. “Jongin, I know who the assassin is and...and who paid him.”

 

Jongin raises his brows. “You...do?”

 

“Um...I-It was Zitao.”

 

Baekhyun widens his eyes. “Zitao?! That nice, handsome painter Zitao?!

 

“Who on earth is Zitao?” Jongin asks in confusion.”

 

Sehun sighs and sits in a chair when Chen offers. “Zitao um...Zitao is an admirer of mine, to put it lightly,” He explains. “I...wait, what day is it? When did I pass out?”

 

“Earlier today,” Chanyeol replies. “What the heck was that anyway?”

 

“Forget it,” The prince waves it off. “Zitao is a man I met shortly after our wedding. He is um, the one who painted that painting of me…” he swallows hard as he begins to fiddle with his fingers. He shuts his eyes tight. “Baekhyun, that day I met him...it was the first time... I met...him.”

 

“Yes?”

 

“But it was not...the first time he has met me,” He whispers.

 

“What...what does that even mean?” Yixing asks.

 

“It means,” Sehun struggles. He opens his eyes again when he feels a hand on his shoulder. Jongin silently urging him. “He has been...following me since before I...came here.”

 

“What?!” His husband suddenly fumes. “This man has been stalking you?! How did you find out?!”

 

“Before I passed out, when I went to...speak with Zitao.”

 

Jongin glares at Junmyeon. “You let him?!”

 

Junmyeon sighs and nods. “Zitao has always been very kind to him, I mean...he even wrote him poetry and painted him.”

 

“Yeah, he’s like BASICALLY in love with Sehun,” Minseok admits, causing Sehun to give him a pointed look. “We all saw Zitao with him and none of us ever suspected a thing!”

 

“Sehun, you were in love with him?” Sehun smiles at the hurt in his husband’s voice.

 

“Jongin, I was never in love with him and that was...well, when you were frankly very cold-hearted to me.”

 

“That...is fair,” Jongin sighs. He looks to Kyungsoo. “Follow him, Kyungsoo. When we have sufficient evidence against him, we will make an arrest.”

 

“And execute them,” Sehun mumbles. He looks around, frowning when everyone stares at him. “I am kidding!”

 

Jongin gently touches his cheek. “Are you sure? I have executed plenty of people. Assassination is a very serious crime. When my father’s time comes, we will be expected to rule.” The prince looks up at Jongin as his husband kneels to look into his eyes. “That includes making examples of men like Zitao and his assassin.”

 

“But I…”

 

“Sehun, I love how kind and forgiving you are, okay? But you need to become a bit harder. I am going to execute these men for hurting you.”

 

Sehun smiles weakly and scoffs. He looks away to hide the blush on his cheeks. Execution isn’t anything funny or romantic but the sweet, warm look in his husband’s eyes is. “Jongin, I…” He sighs. He swallows hard and nods. “They killed my parents…”

 

“Yes, they did,” he leans in, gently kissing Sehun’s cheek. “I do not want you going back into town without me until this is all dealt with.” Sehun nods and takes Jongin’s hand, allowing himself to be pulled up to his feet. “Now, let us make dinner arrangements.”

 

Sehun knows he’ll end up spending the rest of the day thinking about Zitao and the earlier. Despite this, however, he trusts his husband. He knows things will be okay. Or he hopes it will be.