Brother of Mine

Cold Eyes

 

Piano music fills the large room. The notes are as gloomy and drab as the gray weather outside; as gloomy and drab as the prince that plays them feels. His eyes are heavy from tears, his head still hurts slightly from his pathetic weeping. His fingers press on the keys but his heart isn’t into it.

 

Sehun lets out a sigh and looks at Junmyeon; who gives him a tight lipped smile. He looks at the door, unsurprised to see someone standing there. But what surprises him is when he sees the King. “Your maje...father-in-law,” He corrects himself. He stands and nods as the man walks closer; a solemn expression. “If you are here, t-then...It is over?”

 

“I…” The king sighs. “Come, walk with me.” When he offers his arm, Sehun immediately accepts. He nods to Junmyeon, who also nods and leaves. “I want to apologize...for these unruly and upsetting events. It seems for the time you have been with us, You have suffered.”

 

“Not always,” Sehun reassures him. “I have grown very close to my new servants and my husband. Y-your son has been very kind to me.”

 

“So I have noticed,” The king smiles weakly. “I am sorry about your brother, dear.”

 

Sehun swallows hard and slowly nods. “Y-yes, me too...but where is Jongin?”

 

“Despite your brother being executed, I have agreed to allow him...a proper burial. Jongin said he wanted to be the one to help prepare his body to return to your Kingdom,” he pauses. They stop at a garden, The King ushering him to sit as well. “I wish to speak to you about...taking over your brother’s position.”

 

“No, I...I can not think about that right now. N-not after…” He tries not to choke up again. The King pats his hand.

 

“I...I understand that you are grieving and I do not expect you two to do it at this moment,” He says. “But in a few month, you will need to take your place, beside Jongin.”

 

Sehun frowns. “Jongin...is to come with me?”

 

“Of course, he is your husband after all,” The man hums. “How...do you feel about that? The two of you, becoming the kings of your old kingdom?”

 

The prince looks at the flowers, staring at them tiredly. “I...I do not know,” He whispers. “I made so many friends here.”

 

“If they wanted to, they could transfer.”

 

“What?” He looks at his father-in-law. “You would...allow that?”

 

“Sure! They seem happy with you and I have plenty of other servants,” he shrugs.

 

“But what about Jongdae? He is still serving his sentence, is he not?”

 

“To be honest, I forgot about it. I would not mind if he serves the rest of his time with you instead.”

 

“I…” He lets out a soft sigh. “I will speak to them about it. But I would be so sad to leave them…”

 

The King nods. “I am almost certain they would agree to go with you, Sehun. You have shown them kindness and friendship they never expected from a prince.” He stands up and gives Sehun’s cheek a gentle pat. “Go and speak with them.” Before the man can leave, Sehun stands as well.

 

“W-wait,” He stops him. “Could…” He swallows hard. “Can I...go with my brother’s body?”

 

The King stares at him before smiling once again. He nods. Without another word, he wanders back into the castle; leaving the prince to his thoughts. Could he do it? Truely be king alongside Jongin?

 

Sehun slowly makes his way toward the servants quarter. He stops at the door, hesitating. Would they really want to go? They would have to leave this familiar place and who knows if they have family nearby. Walking down the stairs, he smiles at the sounds of his favorite servants. When they see him, they all welcome him as warmly as usual. But there's a hint of sadness in their eyes. 

 

“Sehuna…” Luhan stands up slowly. They all seem unsure what to do.

 

“Come, sit,” Yixing offers.

 

“No, thank you,” Sehun clears his throat. He folds his hands and stands straight. “I must speak to all of you, so I am glad to see you all together.”

 

Junmyeon looks at him in confusion. “Are you alright, your grace?”

 

Sehun can’t answer that. Of course he’s not alright, he had just lost the only remaining family he had left. “W-what I am about to say is...confusing. But I suppose I should get straight to the point.” They all set down whatever they’re doing, giving him their full attention. He takes a deep breath. “W-with...with my parent’s death and now my brother,” He begins. “It is only natural that I...I take his…” He clears his throat, forcing himself to go on despite the tightness in his chest. “That I take his place.”

 

“As King,” Junmyeon says quietly.

 

“Yes...with Jongin.”

 

“King?” Baekhyun frowns. “But...doesn’t that mean you’ll have to go back to your Kingdom? Both of you?”

 

“Yes…”

 

“B-but…” Minseok’s shoulders lower. “But, Sehun, that means you’re gonna leave us.”

 

Sehun glances around at them all. “I...The King and I spoke about it and...if you all want to come with me, to the castle, you can.”

 

The servants all go silent, looking at each other in question. Junmyeon stands first. “I would be more than happy to go with you.”

 

“But if you were to join me, none of you can see your families or-”

 

“Families?” Jongdae scoffs. “What families? Most of ours left or died in some stupid war.”

 

Yixing slowly nods. “My family is back in China...but what about Jongdae’s sentence.”

 

“He can serve it out in my Kingdom; Jongin’s father already covered that,” Sehun replies.

 

Jongdae grins. “Really?” He looks at his boyfriend and then back at the Prince. “I’ll go if Yixing goes.”

 

“And I’ll go if Luhan goes!” Minseok speaks up. “And if he does, we’re with you, Sehun; through and through.”

 

Sehun lets out a shaky sigh, glancing over to the rest of them. “Do you even have to ask?” Baekhyun scoffs. “Nothings keeping me here but Chanyeol and this guy is like a puppy.” Chanyeol nods in agreement. 

 

Kyungsoo crosses his arms and shrugs. “I imagine Jongin will have a need for me.”

 

“Do not say that,” Sehun sighs. “He does not say it but he cares deeply for you. Not just for your special skill set.”

 

The spymaster smiles bashfully, uncharastically seeming shy. Sehun isn’t surprised the servants wanted to go with him but he’s happy, regardless. “You...are all so easily willing to go with me? Just like that? You do not know anything about my Kingdom.”

 

“I think I can speak for us all,” Junmyeon speaks up. “You have shown us great kindness, regardless of our status. Prince Jongin even fell in love with you, which...trust me, makes oru jobs so much easier.”

 

That gets nods of agreements from the others. “Jongin hasn’t threatened to hang Jongdae since you got here!” Minseok jokes.

 

“He jokes but it’s true,” Jongdae yawns casually, leaning back in his chair. The prince laughs at that, leading into a smile. “You guys...I do not know what to say…” He lets out a shaky breath. 

 

“I have...a feeling that you will need all the support you can get,” Junmyeon says.

 

“The next few months will be difficult,” Kyungsoo continues. “In the next few months, you will be taught the ways of a king, thoroughly.”

 

“W-what about Jongin?” Sehun gasps.

 

“Well, he had already trained extensively to become the future King,” Kyungsoo says. “Regardless, you will do well.”

 

Sehun rubs his face, momentarily dropping his princely persona. He’s so tired. “T-thank you,” He sighs. “I…I need to go. I want to see my brother.”

 

“Very well,” Junmyeon looks to the other boys. “When...should we pack to leave?”

 

“I do not know yet,” He admits, his voice soft and breaking. “I am...going to go with my brother’s body though.”

 

“I will accompany you.”

 

“Actually, would you do me a favor and stay here with the other servants?” He asks. “As much as I enjoy your company, Junmyeon, I want you to help them.”

 

Junmyeon smiles, gently squeezing Sehun’s arm. “Of course, if that will help.”

 

“I will feel better knowing Kyungsoo and you are here. I hope the move will not be too hard on any of you,” Aftering saying goodbye to them, he turns, leaving them to whatever they were previously doing. He’s not surprised that they wanted to come with him but he’s happy, regardless. He adores all of them, of course. He knows they’ll make everything so much easier.

 

The prince stops at a door. His hands tremble and his chest grows heavy. He manages to put his hand on the handle but that’s as far as he goes. Swallowing hard, he shuts his eyes, preparing himself. But will he even truly be prepared for this. The squeak of the door seems louder today, echoing in his ears and through the hall behind him. The room inside is well lit; only three people inside. Jongin, the coroner, and his brother. His dead brother.

 

Sehun takes slow, careful steps with his eyes permanently trained on his now-well dressed brother. The coroner makes room for him at his brother’s side, allowing him to be closer. Jongin speaks to him but he doesn’t listen. He stares down at his brother’s pale, peaceful face. The prince brings his hand up to his cheek, gently cupping it. He uses his other one to gently brush the hair from his eyes. “I am sorry,” his voice trembles. “I...I am so sorry.”

 

“If it is of any consolation, he died very...peacefully,” the coroner says quietly. “His last words were of you.”

 

The prince closes his eyes again, silent tears running. “W-what...did he say?”

 

“I love my brother, Prince Sehun,” Jongin repeats. Sehun grabs onto the table tightly, his knees growing weak. “And I love my kingdom. With my death, I leave both in better hands.” The prince doesn’t bother to hide his crying anymore. His legs fail him, causing him to fall to his knees. He wails and cries out from his brother, begging him to sit up. To please, get up. He says he’s sorry, that he never should have turned him in.. He could have blamed it on the stradgest and Zitao; just those two. But Jongin gently whispers in his ears that it’s for the best. And that he’s also sorry. His husband gently rubs his back as he kneels on the floor; not caring about how he must look.

 

A pathetic, spoiled child crying for his big brother. But that's all he is right now. He wants all of them. His mother, father, brother. He begs the gods to give them back, he says he’s not ready. Jongin helps him up, holding his hands tightly. “Come,” he slowly ushers him out of the room; away from his brother’s dead body. 

 

“J-Jongin, I-”

 

“Take your time, Sehun,” His husband says. “My father tells me you want to go with your brother.”

 

“Y-yes…”

 

“I will go with you.”

 

“N-no, you-”

 

“I am going with you, Sehun. As your husband, I need to support you. I will not argue with you on this, okay?”

 

Sehun laughs through his tears before nodding quickly. “O-okay.”

 

The cold prince goes quiet for a moment. “Did my father...explain things to you?” He asks, taking Sehun’s hand and leading him toward their room; possibly to pack and get dressed. Sehun just nods. “You do not have to worry for a few months but you should begin your studies right away.”

 

“I know…”

 

Jongin stops to open their bedroom door for him. “Sehun, I...I hope you know that we must move.”

 

“I know that too.”

 

“Did you speak with the servants?”

 

“Yes,” Sehun responds, slow in his movements. “They want to come too.”

 

Jongin smiles. “Sehun, that is good news. Kyungsoo as well?”

 

“Well, I would hope you would not leave your favorite spymaster behind,” Sehun weakly jokes. “He thinks he is only coming as a tool for you.”

 

“What?”

 

“I assured him otherwise, even if you do not show it,” the prince says as he pulls out a trunk. “I also told them to stay here while we go ahead.”

 

“How come?”

 

“I...thought it would be of more use if they stayed and helped the other servants with their move,” He explains, folding his shirts and setting them inside. Junmyeon would usually help him with this part. “Um...Jongin?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Did...Junmyeon’s parents die? During a war?”

 

“I think so, yes,” He pauses. “Why do you ask?”

 

“What about Luhan and Minseok?”

 

Jongin frowns, something to think about it. “I believe Luhan’s are in China and Minseok...I do not know, to be honest. I do not speak to them often…”

 

“I see.” Sehun mutters before continuing to pack again. 

 

“If you missed anything, Junymeon and Kyungsoo will find and bring it with them during the move.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Sehun,” Jongin sighs, setting his clothes on the bed. “This...might be good for you, this move. It...will perhaps give us peace; so much has happened here.”

 

The prince nods in agreement. “I know but my parents...they were killed there.”

 

“I know but we will make new memories,” Jongin says. “With time, you will forget about it and only remember the good ones you had.”

 

“I...I hope you are right,” The prince sighs. “But what about you? You will be leaving your home.”

 

His husband slowly nods. “That is true but…” He places his things inside his own trunk. “You need me and when you were forced to come here, you supported me; no matter how selfish or cold-hearted I seemed. I…” He clears his throat, shifting around uncomfortably. “I love you.”

 

Sehun looks up and raises his brows. “Y-you what?”

 

“Gods,” He groans. He seems to struggle, so the prince sets his things down and steps over to him. He smiles shyly, gently placing hands on his arms. 

 

“I...I love you too, Jongin.”

 

“You do, huh,” His husband smiles lazily, turning to face him. “Sehun, do not worry, okay? I am happy to go with you and so are your servants. So just worry about your griefing for now, okay?”

 

“Yes,” Sehun sighs, letting himself be pulled into a tight hold. “Okay…”