Newly Wedded

Cold Eyes

 

 

Just as Sehun had thought, the whole day is exhausting. He’s forced to greet so many people all while he sits and waits to be given to the coldest in the world. He thought his parents and older brother attending would help but it doesn’t. When he looks at them, he just feels worse. “Hey there” Baekhyun greets. 

 

“Hello Baekhyun,” Sehun forces a smile.

 

“Are you surviving?” Baekhyun asks. “The ceremony should start anytime soon.”

 

“Yes, I know,” the prince sighs. “That’s why I’m drinking wine.”

 

“Oh my god, are we going to have a tipsy prince?”

 

“No, no,” He laughs. “I guess just enough to make me a bit brave.”

 

“How many have you had?”

 

“I’m still working on my first.”

 

“That’s enough, then,” Baekhyun furrows his brows as he takes the cup. “You want to be of clear mind when you marry someone like Prince Jongin. I’ll get you something else to drink.”

 

Sehun pouts a bit but he knows the servant is right. He sighs before standing to look at himself in the mirror. He knows if he had met or seen Jongin some other way, he would have fallen head over heels with just one look. He watches as Baekhyun returns with a new glass. “Tea,” He explains. “To help calm your nerves.”

 

“Did Yixing make it?”

 

“Of course,” The redhead laughs. “Junmyeon and your father will be here soon.” With a gentle bow, Baekhyun leaves him alone and heads out of the room.



 

Sehun is able to finish the cup of tea before his servant and father enter the room. He keeps looking at himself in the mirror, not glancing back at their of them. “It is time, your grace.”

 

“You look handsome, Sehun,” His father grins. “Just like me in my youth!”

 

Sehun laughs. “Really?”

 

“Well, I was much more masculine and muscular,” He jokes. “Your fiance, Jongin, is a good man,” he says and Sehun frowns. “He’s very quiet but he was so well mannered.”

 

“Well mannered,” Sehun repeats quietly.

 

“I’m so proud of you for staying so strong, Sehun.”

 

“Staying strong,” He sighs, remembering how he cried like a baby. But his father doesn’t need to know that. He watches as Junmyeon places a headpiece on Sehun’s head; seemingly made up of rose-golden flowers. His whole outfit, all in white, makes him look delicate. “There,” Junmyeon sighs happily. “You are ready, your grace.”

 

Sehun stares at himself again in the mirror. His hair so neatly brushed, not a hair or piece of clothing out of place. He nods and turns, trying not to shake as he grabs his father’s arm. He tries to keep his head up high as they leave the room, stepping into the larger one; everyone is already waiting. All of the guests, the king, Jongin, the priest. He keeps his gaze forward as they slowly make their way down the aisle, beautiful harp music filling his ears. The closer he gets the more scared he becomes. He just wants to run far away, no matter the coincidence. He could run and live in the forest, become mute. Maybe he could change his name or something. But it’s too late. They stop in front of the three. The priest smiles down at Sehun with a book in his hand. Jongin doesn’t look at his future husband, keeping his eyes forward. Not a hint of emotion in his eyes. 

 

Jongin extends his hand, allowing Sehun’s father to place Sehun’s into his; as if he’s giving him away. When his father leaves his side, warmth does too. Regardless of how warm Jongin’s hand is, he shivers. Even though he’s surrounded, He feels alone. Sehun isn’t listening to the priest as he speaks. His speech about how they come together with love, binding two kingdoms. “This isn’t love,” He thinks. “This is unfair.”

 

“Prince Kim Jongin,” The priest says. “Do you take Prince Oh Sehun to be your wedded husband, to live together in marriage? Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and health, and forsaking all others, be faithful only to him, for as long as you both shall live?”

 

“I do,” Jongin says, unfaltering. He doesn’t seem to want to be there either. But for different reasons.

 

“Prince Oh Sehun, do you take Prince Kim Jongin to be your wedded husband, to live together in marriage? Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and health, and forsaking all others, be faithful only to him, for as long as you both shall live?”

 

Sehun trembles, his hand shakes. Jongin glances at him. “I...I do,” He says quietly. “I do not,” He thinks but he keeps his lips shut tight. 

 

“As you have been promised to each other in front of the church and to the people of your future kingdom, The priest says. “Seal your love with a kiss and pronounce you husband and husband.”

 

Sehun doesn’t look into Jongin’s eyes when they face each other, just as he said not to. His first kiss is with such a man. He shuts his eyes tightly when his new husband steps forward and press limps against his. It’s brief but enough to seal any deals. He drowns out the rest of the world, his eyes glazing over as he’s slowly led over to a large table and forced to sit beside Jongin; close enough so that their shoulders touch. He feels sick. He slowly looks down at the ring on his finger. His lower lip begins to quiver but he bites it to stop himself. He can break down later. Not here. He forced a smile when some of the commoners approach. Not here.



 

The two newly wedded are silently as they retire to their new bedroom. It’s dimly lit inside with dark, wooden walls and flooring. The bed in the middle of the room is a beautiful deep purple; extravagant and elegantly made blankets, pillows, couches, chairs, night tables. Everything must have been made from the finest materials; silk, velvet. There’s a large window at the far right of the room, covered by purple curtains, with more curtains of the same color hanging behind their bed. He watches as Jongin heads to the bed and begin to undress. He pauses and glares at Sehun. “Well?”

 

“W-well what?”

 

“Strip.”

 

“W-what?! Why?”

 

Jongin scoffs as he sets his jacket and shirt on a nearby chair. “Are you stupid? Do you understand what happens after a royal wedding?”

 

“N-no...I…” He stops and his heart drops as his new husband removes the rest of his clothing. “W-w-we…”

 

“Strip,” He orders curtly. 

 

“God,” He groans softly. But not wanting to upset his new husband, he slowly starts to remove his clothing; one piece at a time. As soon as he’s , he hugs himself in an attempt to hide his body, shyly walking over to the bed and awkwardly laying down. He becomes anxious when all of the lights are put out; the only light being the moon shining through the semi-covered window. He watches as the outline of Jongin makes his way over, not wasting any time in getting on top of him. His first kiss. His first time. Once upon a time, he thought he would lose all of these to someone he loved. He turns his head away, clenching the blankets under him. He shuts his eyes tightly when he feels his legs being spread and lifted. It hurts when he’s pushed into. It hurts bad. He holds his breath sometimes as tears fill his eyes. He forces himself to disconnect and tries to imagine a nicer time.



 

Sehun gasps as he touches the cover of the book, looking up at his mother’s beaming face. He loves his story. “I hate sad endings.”

 

“I know, darling,” His mother chuckles. “One day, you will find someone that will love you with all of their heart, my flower.”

 

“Just like the prince in this book?” He asks, clutching it tight against his chest.

 

She smiles as she sets a single flower in his hair, tucking it above his ear. “Just like that, my lily.”



 

Sehun stares at the wall, the lower half of him hurting. He swallows hard as his loving husband shuffles around, seeming to get dressed again. The prince glances up, watching as he heads out of the room; leaving Sehun alone in their new darkroom. He stares at the door for a moment before slowly laying back down. When the first sob leaves him, the rest full like a waterfall. He buries his face in the pillow as he wails into it; his chest and heart hurting.



 

Sehun feels completely exhausted the next day, feeling like a dead man walking. According to the other servants, he looks pale enough. He said nothing at breakfast and ate very little. The king asked him if he felt okay but Jongin didn’t. 

 

“He is fine,” His husband had said.

 

“Sehuna!”

 

Sehun looks up from the flowers, forcing a smile when he notices Minseok and Luhan quickly approach him. “Hello, you two. What’s with the strange nickname?”

 

“It’s cute,” Minseok points out. “Man, that wedding was nuts!”

 

“It was huge!” Luhan hums happily. “We were busy all night!”

 

Sehun sighs and looks back to the flowers, taking a seat at a nearby bench. “IT was very tiring, indeed.”

 

“You looked beautiful,” the deer-like boy beams. “That outfit fits you well!”

 

“And the flower crown!” Minseok adds in. “Junmyeon has a really good eye for that stuff!”

 

Sehun would normally blush at the compliment but he feels so tired. Sighing, he stands back up. “I...need to walk and clear my mind a bit. I’ll talk to you two later.” Without another word, he folds his hands as he walks away. Everyone is talking about the wedding, how beautiful it was. How Prince Jongin is so lucky to have a kind, pretty husband. It makes Sehun happy knowing this means they accept him. He tries not to think about last night. The thought makes him anxious, causing him to press his hands against his flat stomach. He stops and sniffs. He can’t believe he lost two valuable things to Jongin, to that cold, distant man. He wanted to have his first kiss to be under the stars, in the garden. His love would stare into his eyes as he confesses his love to Sehun and then they would share a kiss. But instead, he gave it to that jerk! He wants to scream, he wants to yell at Jongin’s stupid, handsome face. Speaking of the devil, he glances over, furrowing his brow when he sees his loving husband in a nearby courtyard. Moving out of the garden, he steps closer to get a better look at the scene.

 

Jongin stands with a bo staff, shirtless. Sweat glistens down his lips, neck, and over his lightly toned abs. He trains with some other men, easily dodging their moves and knocking them to the floor. Sehun can feel his cheek heat up as he watches his muscles. Panting, Jongin twirls the staff once more before tossing it to the side. He turns to accept the towel from his servant, stopping when he seems to notice Sehun. Gasping, the prince looks down, quickly turning away and heading back inside the castle. He touches his warm cheeks when he thinks about the earlier scene. All of his muscles and skill. He shivers and shakes his head. “Sehun.”

 

He gasps and turns around quickly to face his husband. “P-prince Jongin,” He greets in a quiet voice. He glances at the man’s chest before averting his gaze. 

 

“What were you doing by the courtyard?”

 

“I was on a walk,” He mutters. “I-I just stopped to watch…”

 

“Fine,” He sighs and turns to leave.

 

“W-wait!” He calls out. When his husband glances at him, he swallows hard. “You...did well out there.”

 

Jongin stares at him for a moment before walking off without a word. Sehun lets out a long, frustrated sigh. He doesn’t know what the hell to do with that guy or how to make him happy. He doubts no matter how hard he tries, he won’t ever be able to.