Warm Hands - END

Cold Eyes

 

Luhan and Minseok step back when they finish, allowing the two new kings to see the painting clearly. In the new art piece, Sehun stands with his right arm resting by his side, with his lower forearm, around his wrist, being gently held by his husband. Both of them stand together, both looking regal with their smiles. They wear outfits similar to their wedding attire but much more intricate. It was Junmyeon’s idea to relive their wedding; to hold another ceremony with their new kingdom. This time was much better, of course. Both of them were happier than before. Not to mention their wedding night was much more...lively, as modestly as Sehun can say. He only went into detail when he was alone with Baekhyun and his new best friend pressed. He glances over at the two portraits beside them. Of his mother and father, and the other of his brother. He then looks at the portraits of Jongin’s mother and father.

 

“We’ll make them proud,” Jongin says as he slips his hand into Sehun’s. “I know we will.”

 

Sehun smiles and nods. “I hope so. Even with those weeks of tutoring, I’m still so nervous. The ceremony and wedding was yesterday and yet…”

 

“Sehun, you’ll do fine,” His husband chuckles. 

 

Sehun slowly nods, not sure if he fully agrees quite yet. “By the way, um...are you okay with…”

 

“Not using your parent’s room? I know.”

 

“Thank goodness,” He rolls his eyes, holding onto Jongin’s arm. “You’ve...been learning your whole life how to be a king, yes?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“You’ll...help me, right? I haven’t been learning how because I had always thought my...brother,” he swallows hard but forces himself on. “I had always thought it would be my brother and I would forever just stay a prince. And to be honest, I was perfectly happy that way.”

 

Jongin sighs as he turns and puts his hands on the new king’s shoulders. “Sehun, you’ll do well, okay? You’re smart and very capable. You also have some very dedicated and loyal servants by your side,” He pauses. “And you have me, Sehun. Always. Even when we grow old.”

 

Sehun’s heart flutters at the idea. He once again grabs onto his husband’s arm as they make their way out and toward the prince’s favorite place. He looks around at the garden and smiles as they sit. “I will keep reading poetry to you, right here.”

 

The so-called cold prince nods. “I would like that, Sehun. Very much so.”

 

Sehun laughs shyly when a kiss is placed on his cheek and then a brief one to his lips. But when the kiss lingers, the younger king leans into it, welcoming the warm sign of affection. Jongin places a hand on his cheek both of their eyes fluttering shut; ignoring the eyes of passing guards. “Jongin,” he mumbles, looking around bashfully. “People can see us.”

 

“So?’ His husband chuckles, pulling him in for more. But the new king leans back and gives him a pout. “Come on. We can’t have fun now that we’re kings?”

 

Sehun smiles sheepishly. “No, we can! I..just…”

 

Jongin laughs again and shakes his head, sitting up straight. He wraps an arm around his young husband, pulling him close. “Your parent’s room...it was left untouched.”

 

“Yes?”

 

“That means your brother hadn’t touched it either,” He points out. “That speaks volumes of his respectful personality...he was a good person, Sehun.”

 

Sehun lets out a soft sigh, shutting his eyes and leaning his head into Jongin’s arms. It’s been a long year. A very, very long year. He’s tired but he'll admit that good things came from all of this heartache. He may have lost his family but, in a way, he gained a new one. And now that they’re kings, a true treaty has been with Jongin’s kingdom. And it doesn’t come to a surprise that the people quickly warmed up to their new rulers; especially since Sehun is a familiar, sweet face. With the strength and prowess of Kim Jongin and the kind, loving personality of Oh Sehun; they appear to be a match made in the very heavens themselves. 

 

“Your majesties,” Junmyeon greets as he approaches them. Sehun smiles, accepting the book of poetry handed to him. “Here, you asked for this.”

 

“Thank you, Junmyeon. Why don’t you take the day off? Perhaps take some time for yourself.”

 

“Thank you,” His servant bows, giving him a small smile as well before leaving the two kings to their privacy. 

 

“What is that?” Jongin asks, watching as the young king runs his fingers over the cover. 

 

Sehun gently opens the cover and sighs at the message written within the first page. 

 

“To my darling flower, Sehun. May you one day grow into a kind, strong man.” He stares at the handwriting of his mother.

 

“Another book my mother had bought me,” He says. “With everything going on, I haven’t had the time to read to you.”

 

Jongin stares at it for a moment before nodding. “That’s right…I do miss it.”

 

“Oh?” He raises a brow and laughs. “Well, then.” he flips over some pages. “Why don’t I read you one now?” 

 

The other king hums with approval, turning and laying down so that his head now rests in Sehun’s lap. “Go on.”

 

“Well,” he takes a deep breath and sets a hand to cover Jongin’s. The poem on the page is the same he had been reading before all of this had happened; the same one had read over a year ago in this same very place. His heart beats fast at the soft, loving look Jongin gives him as he waits patiently. “This poem is called Warm Hands…”

----------------------------------------

Hey guys! sorry for the SUPER late ending... I could NOT think of one?? So I reread the story and decided to metaphorically connect lmao LMK if you find it :P Thanks for reading and I hope this isn't too short! <3