Funeral

Cold Eyes

 

 

“I do not want you out in the open, Jongin,” Sehun says as Junmyeon fixes his shirt for him. “It is too dangerous a-and I do not want you-”

 

“Sehun,” Jongin sighs, Kyungsoo helping him as well. “According to Kyungsoo, these assassins do not know that we know. If I do not go to this funeral with my husband, I show weakness.”

 

“And we do not want the assassins to know we are one to them,” Kyungsoo puts in.

 

Junmyeon shakes his head. “I am still not used the fact that Kyungsoo is a...spymaster.”

 

“I...did not want you to find out this way, Junmyeon,” The spymaster grimaces. “Perhaps do not tell the other boys.”

 

“No, no,” The other servant shakes his head. “Of course not, friend. Your secret is safe with me.”

 

Sehun smiles at their friendship. He folds his hands, glancing at Jongin. He swallows hard when he sees the sword at his side. “Jongin,” He says softly. His husband looks at him, his usual cold, hard eyes seeming to soften ever so slightly. He stands up and approaches Sehun. He grabs the prince’s collar, fixing it for him.

 

“Stop it, Sehun.”

 

“I…” He looks sheepish as he stares at the floor. He flinches when Jongin slowly brings his hand up, gently touching his cheek; forcing him to look back up. 

 

“Sehun,” He gives him a pointed look. “Everything will be fine. The funeral will go well, we will all,” He pauses to look at every one. “Get home safely.”

 

“Yes,” Sehun finally nods. “I trust you, Jongin…”

 

“Good,” His husband lets out a sigh. “Do not go anywhere alone, any of you,” He instructs. “Even if Kyungsoo and you have to bathe in the same room.”

 

Junmyeon chuckles. “Us servants already do, Prince Jongin.”

 

“By choice?”

 

“By choice,” Kyungsoo repeats. “It seems strange but we are all just that close. I suppose it is a good chance for us all to unwind and talk about our day, have fun.”

 

Junmyeon steps behind Sehun, helping the prince put on his coat. It’s a grey, gloomy day out today. As soon as the servant steps back, Jongin takes his place. He pushes Sehun’s jacket to the side as he reaches around him, securing what seems to be a belt on him. “What is this?” As soon as it’s secured, the prince looks down and gasps when he sees a dagger. Jongin hides it with Sehun’s jacket.

 

“Insurance,” His husband says simply. “If you end up alone somehow, I want you to at least have something. You use the pointy end.” Sehun gives him a pointed look, accepting when he’s offered Jongin’s arm. “Are you ready?”

 

“No,” Sehun whispers, tightening his grip. “I...I do not want to go.”

 

“Yes, I know. But we have to make an appearance...and you should properly mourn.”

 

“I suppose,” He sighs as they head out of the room; their two servants following close behind. The closer they get to the courtyard, the louder the music gets. It starts to pound in his head and he knows it’ll haunt him. Haunt his dreams. As soon as they step out into the courtyard, he already feels overwhelmed. Nobles, commoners, servants, music. He stares at the two coffins that threaten to stop him in his tracks. But the comfort of his husband and friends urges him forward. He keeps his gaze forward, even as they walk up and stop beside Sehun’s brother. His breath hitches in his throat when he sees it. The faces of his parents. He can feel himself begin to tremble as he lets of Jongin’s arm and walks forward. His dark eyes become glossy, stinging as tears fill them. It gets worse when he gets closer to his mother. He can smell her perfume. Jasmine blossoms. His heart feels like it’s about to explode, his chest heaving up and down as he quickly becomings a blubbering mess. He begins to shake violently, slowly bringing his hand up and touching her cold cheek. She looks so peaceful, almost as if she’s only sleeping. 

 

“I-I am…so sorry, mama,” He says quietly. “I should have... I should…” He swallows hard and shakes his head. He covers his mouth with his free hand to try and silence his sobbing. He looks at his father too now. How happy he looked walking his son down the aisle, giving him to his husband. He notices that they’re both wearing high collars, frowning at that. His mother never wore high collars, almost revealing her gorgeous necklaces. He shakes as he gently pulls the collar down, enough for a peek. His sobbing becomes more violent when he sees the long line across her neck; revealing her cause of death. He quickly pulls back and covers his face, wanting to scream. He feels arms wrap around him tightly, pulling him into a tight embrace. He knows, from the scent, that it’s Jongin. “I should have been here!”

 

“There is not anything you would be able to do, Sehun,” His husband whispers. “Or you would be dead too.” Jongin pulls him back to their original spot, away from the coffins. He opens his eyes and glances, watching as their covers are now placed over them. Large, beautiful stone coffins; engraved with writing. A priest steps up and begins his prayer. His shoulder shakes and looks up at his brother, but he frowns at the lack of tears. He stares at his brother in disbelief and, now, anger. He swallows hard when he feels arms tightening.

 

“Hold it in,” His husband whispers again. “For now, mourn. Be angry later.” Sehun just nods and closes his eyes. How could he not cry for their parents? Did he just cry earlier and trying to seem strong now? His expression was so blank. What if he had something to do with their deaths? That’s a horrible thing to think. This music and prayer really will haunt his dreams.



 

Sehun paces around his room as Junmyeon packs for him, Kyungsoo doing the same for Jongin. He had only just finished crying half an hour ago and now anger and confusion set in. “Why?” He asks impatiently. “Why did he not cry?”

 

“Yes, That did seem rather odd,” Kyungsoo agrees. 

 

“D-do you think he was just acting strong? In front of his people?”

 

“Perhaps...but still, it would be hard to strong, especially with how emotional your family is,” Jongin says. By the tone in his voice, it doesn’t seem to be an insult, just an observation. 

 

“I do not feel safe here,” Junmyeon sighs and Sehun nods in agreement.

 

“Oh, I did not want it to be like this,” Sehun groans. “I had hoped coming here would...would bring me back all of these nice memories. This was supposed to help me,” he complains. “Not only that, but I wanted you guys to like it here, so...so DAMN badly!” All three of the men stop what their doing, raising their brows as they look at him. He stops and crosses his arms. “What?”

 

“You…” Jongin chuckles. “You cursed, Sehun.”
 

“I…” He blushes and rubs his arm. “Are you two packed?” He asks the servants.

 

“Yes,” Kyungsoo nods. “We have been packed since last night. As soon as you two are packed…”

 

“We leave,” Jongin finishes. “I AM sorry, Sehun, that we can not stay for your brother’s ceremony.”

 

“I know,” The prince sighs. “Safety first. I...I do not want to keep you in danger, Jongin.” He blushes when his husband actually smiles. “I am surprised by myself. I thought leaving would upset me and yet…”

 

Junmyeon sighs. “I understand, Sehun. You wanted your home to remain innocent, like your childhood.”

 

“That I had,” The prince smiles weakly. He stands up straight as the two servants pick up their bags.

 

“Ready?” Jongin asks. He heads for the door when they nod, opening it for them. Sehun follows his husband as they exit and spill out into the hall. “They already started the ceremony,” He glances at Sehun. “Do you...wish to say goodbye?”

 

Sehun stares at the doors leading into the chamber, many voices speaking inside. Sehun swallows hard and shakes his head. “No. I...I will write a letter.”

 

Jongin stares at him for a moment before nodding.  They quickly make their way back to the carriage. His husband offers his hand, Sehun takes it but stops and looks back at the castle. He swallows hard before turning and stepping in; Jongin beside him. After Kyungsoo and Junmyeon secure all of the luggage, they get in as well and close the door. Kyungsoo whistles, signaling the driver to go. The Prince stares at his old home as they drive by, a tightening in his chest causing him to inhale sharply. He touches his chest and rubs it. His eyes begin to sting. He thought coming here would make him feel better. But it didn’t.

----------------

Sorry for the short chapter.