New Home

Cold Eyes

As most princes usually are, even Oh Sehun can admit that he's spoiled. But what royalty isn’t? He had been conditioned this way since birth, of course. With pretty treasures and silks, he’s always had everything he wanted; safely surrounded by strong, castle walls. While he does have an older brother, his parents always seem to favor him. Everything’s perfect. Or at least it is until the night their kingdom is attacked. It was one night, while Sehun had been sleeping in his bed. He had been awakened by the sounds of screaming and someone rushing into his room; his mother and a few servants. He had been forced out of bed and told to quickly follow them. He remembers how he almost cried and kept asking what was wrong. But his mother, the queen, kept silencing him and telling him to be quiet. 

 

Sehun remembers how he sat with his mother and some other people in a secret room, hidden behind the throne room. He thought nothing of it the next few days, assuming it was just a false alarm. But that changed a few months later when he’s called into his father’s study. He’s sitting in one of their gardens, reading, when he’s approached by one of the servants. He smiles at them as he slowly shuts his book of poems and sets it gently on his lap. “Oh, hello,” He greets, watching as the man bows.

 

“Your father and mother request your presence, your grace.”

 

“Did they say why?”

 

“No, your grace.”

 

Sehun sighs and nods, smiling. Hugging his poems to his chest, he excuses the servant before making his way from the flowery yard and through the castle. He nods as people greet him, trying to not seem nervous. He clears his throat as he shyly pushes the doors open to the study, glancing at his parents that sit together by the window. His mother stands up, smiling at her son. “Sehun, darling, there you are,” she greets. “Come sit with us.” She ushers him over, watching as her son nervously makes his way over. As soon as he sits in the chair opposite of them, he can feel himself growing tenser.

 

“Is...everything okay?”

 

“Well,” His father sighs. “Sehun, we have to talk to you about something.” He glances at the queen. “We are just...here to tell you something.”

 

“Okay,” Sehun says slowly, looking between them. 

 

“We are not sure if you remember but, a few months ago, the kingdom was attacked.”

 

“I remember,” He nods. “But it was taken care of, yes?”

 

His mother smiles sadly. “That night, yes. But…”

 

“Since that night, our kingdom has been...in danger.”

 

“D-danger?”

 

“Sehun-”

 

“Please, just come out and say it,” The prince frowns. “W-what is going on?”

 

His father slowly nods. “We need to protect the kingdom, Sehun, or we could…” He shakes his head. “Very well, I will get to the point. The only way to protect our kingdom is if you were to get married.”

 

Sehun stares at his parents for a moment. “W-what? Is this...a joke?”

 

“Sehun, it’s…” His mother smiles sadly. “Please, think of our kingdom. We need this for the protection…”

 

Sehun swallows hard and slowly nods. “You guys already chose someone, didn’t you?”

 

His father reaches over and pats Sehun’s shoulder. “You’re a smart boy, Sehun. I am so sorry, I did not want it to go this way.”

 

Not wanting to appear childish in front of his parents, he swallows hard and nods. “I-I understand, really.” His throat begins to hurt and his chest feels tight. “I get that it’s for...for our kingdom.”

 

His parents smile and sigh out of what seems to be relief. “WE knew you’d understand, darling,” his mother says. “You leave as soon as possible,” she continues. “It is a long drive.”

 

“Can...I not say goodbye to my friends?

 

“You can send them letters, Sehun,” His father gruffly says. “Your friends live too far.”

 

“It’s just a few miles-”

 

“Sehun, please,” His mother sighs. “You can not keep your betrothed any long. We already convinced them to wait all this time.” 

 

Sehun folds his hands so tightly, they begin to hurt. “Y-yes...mother...I’ll go now...” He wants to be a good son and prince, for his people, but he feels this is too unfair. But he’s not even able to say goodbye to his friends? He tries to keep his head up high as he walks out and past all of the servants. He keeps his eyes forward, trying to not falter. He’s a prince, after all. He has to pretend, even if he’s ready to fall down and cry. He wants to throw a tantrum and scream that he’s not getting married, no matter what. He stops and looks out one of the hall’s window, toward the garden. One of his favorite places to just hang out at and play around. He shakes his head and continues on his way. He has a lot of farewells to write.



 

Sehun stares at the white of his gloved hands, the only sound filling the rocking carriage is the sound of wheels and the occasional animal. Tears fill his eyes as he closes them and tightly folds his hands on his lap. He knows this is for the good of his people. He knows this is the only way to protect them. But it’s so hard. He always thought he would meet someone and fall in love. But what if he turns out to be nice? That thought makes him takes a handkerchief from his pocket and uses them to wipe his eyes. He has to keep his hopes up. His betrothed could be the sweetest man he ever met and yet he’s here, crying like a baby about it. Sure, he’ll never see his favorite servants again or sleep in his own room; but he’ll make new friends. He knows he will. Sehun fixes his hair before he sits up straight, looking out the wooden window. He stares in awe as they begin to approach the huge city. It’s easily five times bigger than the one Sehun’s used to. He wonders what amazing shops they must have. They make their way through the streets, many people stopping to stare and whisper. He blushes a little when they look to him, causing him to smile and wave at them a bit. It must be obvious who he is. He’s dressed extravagantly and riding in a very expensive carriage. And news of the two princes engagement has no doubt even reached here. He becomes a bit nervous when they look at him in confusion. Are they not used to royalty waving at them? The thought unsettles him. What kind of man is Kim Jongin?

 

He smiles when the door opens, accepting when a man offers his hand. “T-thank you.”

 

“You are most welcome,” The man returns the kind expression. “Welcome to our kingdom, Prince Sehun. My name is Kim Junmyeon and I have been tasked to take care of you here.”

 

“Kim...Junmyeon?”

 

Junmyeon chuckles at his confusion. “No relation to Prince Jongin, of course.” He motions to the driver. “Thank you.” He nods, gently putting a hand on Sehun’s back and leading him through the large castle doors. “You must be very tired, your majesty.”

 

“Please, call me Sehun.”

 

“Very well,” The man nods. “Let me show you to your temporary room you will be staying at until the wedding.”

 

“When do you think I will meet Prince Jongin?”

 

“You will have a meeting with him after you bathe. After a long ride, it is better to freshen up before meeting your future husband.”

 

“Right,” Sehun laughs nervously, trying to ignore the people gossiping as he walks by.

 

“That’s Prince Jongin’s betrothed,” One servant says. “He’s so pretty!”

 

“Poor man...I wonder if he knows what kind of man the Prince is,” another replies

 

“Prince Jongin is so cold...his eyes are so scary too! I feel bad for anyone that is forced to marry such a man.”

 

Sehun swallows hard, forcing himself to keep his head up. A cold man with scary eyes. He pushes it from his thoughts because he knows he shouldn’t listen to all these rumors. Perhaps Jongin seems cold to all of his servants but he could actually be a very kind man. He calms down a bit after that, allowing Junmyeon to lead him into a large room. It’s a beautiful room with marble walls and flooring, the actual baths themselves seem to be very spacious; the extravagant glass windows already steaming up. “If this is too small, I can arrange for a large bath…”

 

“W-what?!” Sehun looks at Junmyeon in shock. “T-too small?! This is huge!”

 

“Nonsense,” Junmyeon laughs as he closes the door behind them and helps Sehun shrug off his cloak; working on ing his shirt. “Do you mean to say that your bath back home wasn’t as big?”

 

“No, it is not. It is nice but not this big,” Sehun admits. “Is this Prince Jongin’s bath?”

 

“No, it’s yours now,” Junmyeon explains. “Or, it is temporary as well as your new bedroom. When you marry Prince Jongin, you two will be sharing baths.”

 

Sehun blushes. “W-we have to bathe at the same time?”

 

“Yes, but It should not be too awkward...he will be your husband after all.”

 

“S-still…” Sehun sighs, letting himself get undressed by the man. He used to have a close servant like this back home, so he’s used to it. “I...I always bathe with just one close servant.”

 

“So you’re used to bathing mostly alone.”

 

“Yes,” Sehun shyly replies as he slowly steps into the large tub and lowers himself in.to the warm water. “I explained to my parents that I  dislike many servants tending to me...so I’m glad that it’s you here.”

 

“To tell you the truth, we had many other servants ready to tend to you,” Junmyeon chuckles as he stands by the bath, his hands folded. Sehun’s relieved when the man doesn’t try to help him bathe. “But when I was assigned as your personal servant, I inquired about you.”

 

“Who...did you ask?”

 

“I exchanged several letters with your last servant. He described for me certain things you like done; thus, why it is only me here.”

 

“I see,” Sehun smiles as he slowly rubs his arms with soap. “What else did he say?”

 

“Nothing of coincidence,” Junmyeon responds. “Your favorite foods, how you hate getting up in the morning, how you hate eating your vegetables…”

 

The prince blushes. “T-that’s not true…”

 

“Is it?”

 

He shyly looks at the bathwater. “It is…” He bashfully admits. “I like some vegetables.”

 

“Yes, I received the small list already,” His servant chuckles. “I have already arranged for certain foods to be served at the wedding for you,” he stops and looks around. “Ah, I seem to have forgotten fresh linen and some clean clothes. I will be back shortly, your grace.”

 

‘Okay,” Sehun whispers, watching as his new servant bows and leaves the room. He stares after him for a moment before slowly turning and glance out the stain-glass window. He slowly gets up and makes his way over, squinting at the new kingdom. His chest swells at the sight of everything and everyone. He slowly puts his hand on the glass that begins to steam up, tears quickly filling his eyes. Closing his eyes tight, he turns his back against the wall and slowly sits. He’s alone in this foreign new kingdom with a potentially cold-hearted fiance. This is his new home for the rest of his life. Whether he likes it or not.

----------------------