Town

Cold Eyes

 

Sehun remembers what Baekhyun said about being sore. But he never expected to be this sore. So sore, he can’t even practice dancing with Junmyeon. When asked about it, he lies and says he fell badly last night. Jongin seems to avoid him today but Sehun just chalks it up to being so busy from being gone. But he does accept the offer, regardless, when Baekhyun wants to go into town.

 

“I feel awful for not telling Zitao I was leaving for a few days,” Sehun sighs and holds onto his servant’s arm. 

 

“You’re still thinking about that painter?!” Baekhyun laughs. “Sehun, how did last night go?!”

 

“Oh,” Sehun shakes is head. “I knew you would ask…”

 

“So...are you going to tell me or?”

 

“I don’t know, It’d be very immodest of me…”

 

Baekhyun groans. “Come on,” He pauses when they pass by some guards, nodding at them. “Nothing ever happens at the castle, okay? I’m so excited for you for boning captain cold!”

 

Sehun blushes and rubs his cheeks. He lets out a soft sigh and stops. “Okay, um…” he folds his hand, keeping his voice low. “Do you remember that uncomfortable conversation I had with Minseok and Luhan? About how can be very therapeutic and can get rid of all of your problems?” 

 

Baekhyun slowly nods and cringes at the memory. “That was a long hour but yeah?”

 

The prince smiles. “Well um...I mean, I still have a lot of problems but it was the best night of my entire life, Baekhyun,” He grabs Baekhyun's hand and takes a deep breath. “And I am not exaggerating.”

 

The servant stares at him in bewilderment. “Oh wow, was it that amazing?!”

 

“I um...think I saw stars, I-I think that’s the right phrase,” He says shyly as they begin to walk again.

 

“That’s so hot!” Baekhyun giggles. “Aw, I’m so jealous!”

 

“Um...Chanyeol and you don’t…?”

 

“Oh no, we do. We did this morning- the point is I’m soo happy for you!”

 

“Prince Sehun!” Someone calls out, getting both of their attention.

 

“Zitao!” The prince greets. “It is nice to see you.”

 

“Yes, I agree,” Zitao chuckles, smoothing out his apron. “I was just…” He sighs. “I was painting in the plaza and I saw...you.” Sehun smiles at the poor attempt at an excuse. “Where have you been? I um...I hope I have no been coming off too strongly.”

 

“No, no,” Sehun waves his hand dismissively. “I um...I was just doing my princely duties, you know. I have been very busy with my studies.” He isn’t sure why he’s lying but he wants to keep face. He knows no one in the kingdom knows about the assassination yet “I promise, it had nothing to do with you.”

 

Zitao smiles at him for a moment before nodding. “I am glad to hear that, my prince,” Sehun jumps a little when the man gently takes his hands in his. “I have missed you dearly.”

 

Sehun laughs shyly and looks at Baekhyun; who just wiggles his eyebrows. “I um...I missed you too, Zitao. I am sorry for being away.”

 

Zitao lowers his hands and clears his throat. “Well, I think Baekhyun wanted to do something in town today,” The Prince says. “Um..perhaps we can meet up again soon, Zitao?”

 

“Nothing would make me happier, Prince Sehun.”

 

Sehun nods when the painter bows. “Until next time then.”

 

“Um, what are you doing? Baekhyun asks after they walk away.

 

“I...am walking?”

 

“No, you’re staying with me and not going off with Zitao for a nice make-out session!”

 

Sehun gives him a pointed look as they enter what seems to be an herb or spices shop. “Baekhyun, remember last night? W-well what if that was...the beginning to something more intimate? We may finally be warming up to each other and I do not want anything to get in the way of that.”

 

Baekhyun hums and nods, starting to look around. “No, I get it.”

 

“Even if Zitao is kind, sweet, gentle, poetic, artistic…” he lets out a dreamy sigh. “Muscular, and everything I’ve ever dreamed of in a lover…how can a painter be muscular?!”

 

“No idea,” The servant laughs and begins to fill a bag with things. “So, you can’t choose between two men?”

 

“No, I can,” Sehun argues. “I choose my HUSBAND, Baekhyun.”

 

“Okay, name good things about him.”

 

Sehun hums a bit. “He’s very handsome, muscular, a very good fighter, he has been very supportive and kind to me during my grieving period,” He motions to his black clothing. “He um, secretly loves poetry and...he is an excellent lover in bed.”

 

“Wow, that was forward,” The servant giggles. “Mee especially like the last part.”

 

Sehun blushes. “Please! Lu...Luhan and Minseok told me that um...the uh…” He stutters and looks around nervously. “That the ual part of an r-relationship is VERY important,” He finishes after lowering his voice.

 

“Aw, you sound like a who found his first love.”

 

“Stop it.”

 

“Stopping,” Baekhyun snickers as he steps up and pulling out his pouch. Sehun quickly stops him and quickly pays with his own gold. “Here, allow me. Please, consider it a thank you for your...advice.”

 

Baekhyun grins. “Advice, huh?”

 

“Shut up,” Sehun mumbles and rubs his cheek to stop them from heating up. “Do you need anything else in town?”

 

“Nope,” Baekhyun sighs. “I’m under strict orders to keep you safe.”

 

“Jongin?” Sehun smiles when the servant nods. “He has no reason to be worried, you know.”

 

“How do you know?” He looks around and lowers his voice. “Sehun, that assassin knew Jongin would take you to your parents, or at least hoped for it. Don’t you think that means this guy would be smart enough to follow you two here?”

 

“I-I know but...but he attacked everyone but me. I mean, he did not attack Kyungsoo but would you?”

 

Baekhyun laughs at that as they head back toward the castle. “That’s true. If I were an assassin, all Kyungsoo would have to do is stare at me with his big, owl-like eyes.”

 

Once out of the eyes of the guard and commoners, Sehun loops arms with Baekhyun, both giggling over the idea of terrifying assassins turning their heel and running; just from the cold look of Jongin and Kyungsoo. Honestly, when he’s alone with the servants, he doesn't feel like a prince. He just feels like he’s a young man with all of his friends. Gossiping and laughing over different things. The prince even takes a second lunch with them; granted, he only drinks eta since he’s still full but he enjoys their company. Even if the other nobles seem to think it’s strange. 

 

Sehun stops when he notices Jongin. “Jongin,” He calls out, smiling when his husband turns to glance at him. “Hello!” He frowns when the cold prince turns and walks away. “Um, I’ll catch up with you, Baek, okay?” He gives the servant a small kiss on the cheek before running after Jongin. He gently grabs Jongin’s arm to stop him. “Jongin, what is wrong?”

 

His husband pulls his arm back. “Nothing. I am busy.” He turns away and quickly walks away, leaving Sehun to stand in silence. He lets out a shaky sigh as he neatly folds his gloved hands. Perhaps he’s just stressed.



 

Sehun goes to the usual place he likes to relax, the same place he usually finds Jongin to read poetry. But when he arrives, no one is there. He shakes his head before finding his way to Jongin’s study. Taking a deep breath, he knocks and waits. “Enter.”

 

The prince slowly pushes the door open. “Jongin, hello.”

 

“Ah,” His husband mumbles not looking up from his desk.

 

“I uh…” He clutches his book to his chest. “Are...we skipping our reading tonight?”

 

“I am busy, Sehun,” Jongin whispers.

 

“But-”

 

“I said I am busy!” His husband snaps, causing Sehun to flinches. He stares at him with wide eyes. He quickly backs up before turning and shutting the door behind him. He’s just stressed that’s it, right? Sehun swallows hard and walks down the hall, unsure where he should go right now. He lets out a soft sigh and stops when he reaches the top of the stairs that lead into the basement for the servants. He thought Jongin and he was close now.

 

“Who is up there?” He hears Yixing’s voice from inside.

 

He gently touches his cheeks, sniffing at the tears. When did he start crying? “It is only me,” Sehun calls out. He quickly wipes his eyes with his handkerchief and heads down. He forces a smile as he opens the door. “Hello, you guys.”

 

“Sehuna?” Minseok asks, all of the boys seeming to sit around with tea. “What are you doing here?”

 

“I’m sorry, am I bothering you all?”

 

“No, no!” Luhan gasps, patting a nearby chair. Yixing wastes no time in setting an extra cup down. The prince takes a seat and sighs. “I’m sorry, you are all...heading to bed soon?”

 

“About in an hour,” Junmyeon nods. “Sehun, what’s wrong? You look upset.”

 

“Oh, it’s nothing,” He mutters. “I…” He glances around at all of the servants and lets out a sigh. “Last night, Jongin and I...W-we become…” He blushes. “Physically...intimate.”

 

Luhan and Minseok both gasp at the same time, their eyes practically sparkling with pride. “Sehuna!”

 

“Stop,” He laughs weakly. “I-”

 

“How was it?” Jongdae asks, casually resting his feet on the table; which is swift pushed off by Junmyeon. 

 

“That is an inappropriate question,” Junmyeon scowls.

 

“Indeed,” Kyungsoo agrees. He clears his throat. “So...how was it?”

 

“Kyungsoo!” 

 

“What? I am curious! Of all the years I have known Jongin, he has never been...intimate with a person before.”

 

Sehun sighs and leans back. He smiles when handed his own tea. “No, it...it’s Jongin. I thought after last night, we would grow closer b-but…we seemed to have taken a step back.”

 

Junmyeon shakes his head. “What is he thinking?”

 

“Maybe he wanted ,” Jongdae offers, causing both Minseok and Luhan to glare at him. “What? Guys, all I’m saying is this is JONGIN! CAPTAIN COLD. The dude is the definition of douche, okay? He wanted to hang me and told me several times that if he were kind, it would be different-”

 

“But that was before he had Sehun,” Baekhyun argues. “He hasn’t threatened any of us for a whole year!”

 

“Oh my god,” Yixing rolls his eyes. “He hasn’t threatened us, Baek. I mean...aside from Jongdae but come on, you can get under anyone’s skin, baby.”

 

“I take that as a compliment,” Jongdae yawns.

 

Junmyeon shakes his head and stands. “Perhaps he’s just stressed because of the assassination. Just give him some time, Sehun.”

 

Sehun nods and stands. “Thank you for the tea, Yixing.”

 

“Shall I walk you to your room?”

 

“Oh, no, I have bothered you all enough,” Sehun bows to think before saying goodbye. He does feel calmer now as he walks back. He feels a bit ridiculous. While it hurt, Jongin probably had a good reason to snap at him like that. He did just get back from being away from his own kingdom and so he must have been very busy. The prince gently brushes his hair with his hands, putting it back in place and steps into the bedroom. As expected, Jongin is nowhere to be seen. He shakes his head and goes to the window; now lighting the candle beside it before looking out. Sehun leans against the window sill. He sighs when he notices Jongin down below, in the courtyard, training alone. “What’s with him?”

 

After sighing, Sehun begins to backs up but something sharp against his back causes him to stop. He gasps and widens his eyes. “Not...another move, Prince Sehun,” A low, deep unfamiliar voice whispers in his ear. “Move even an inch and I will not hesitate...to kill you.”

-----------------

Sorry for the short chapter