Wounds

Cold Eyes

 

Sehun begins to breathe heavily, trying to calmly keep his folder on the window sill. He keeps his eyes trained on Jongin down below. “Scream for help, and I kill you.”

 

“What do you want?” The prince whispers.

 

“For you to stay out of the way,” The man says. “I am after Prince Jongin. If you stay out of the way, I will not have to hurt any more of your friends.”

 

Sehun forces a smile when his husband looks up at him. “Signal to him,” his assailant instructs. “So that he sees nothing is wrong!” The prince never waves to Jongin. In fact, after the incident with his parents, his husband forced him to learn a signal of sorts; in case something was wrong. He swallows hard, looking into Jongin’s eyes and waves. There’s a look in the cold prince’s eyes and he hopes he gets it. “Good, now turn and walk away from the window.”

 

Sehun does as he says, eyeing the man suspiciously as he turns around. He swears a strange mask and seems to be completely dressed in black. “You killed my parents, didn't you?”

 

“Yes,” He quickly admits. “I was paid to.”

 

“B-by who?”

 

“You are not in a position, Prince Sehun,” The assassin steps forward, gently putting his knife up against Sehun’s throat. “To be asking questions.” He whimpers he feels a sudden, sharp pain in his throat. He shuts his eyes tightly as tears fill them. Deep enough to hurt but not to do any serious damage. He folds his hands tightly and grimaces; he can feel the blood run down his neck and into his tunic. “The pain your parents...felt so much worse.” They both jump when the door slams open, causing the dagger to dig a bit deeper. Sehun cries out in pain before he’s roughly hit with the pommel hard against his head; forcing him to the ground. Jongin pulls out his sword and aims it at the man. 

 

“Who the hell are you?!”

 

The man scoffs before pulling something from the bag attached to his bag. Grabbing his throat to stop the bleeding, Sehun quickly scurries away. When Jongin goes to attack, the assassin easily hooks his equipment to the outside of the window and jumps out with a rope. But instead of trying to go after the man, his husband quickly goes to Sehun’s side and helps him up. “Your neck, is it alright?”

 

“Y-yes,” Sehun sobs as Jongin pushes his hands away and seems to assess the damage. “I...I am sorry.”

 

“Shut up,” His husband sighs and grabs a piece of linen to cover his wound. “Come on, we will wake up Yixing if he is asleep,” He says as he rushes the prince out of the room and down the hall. “What happened?”

 

“I...I was on my way back from the servant’s..corridor,” He cries as all of him trembles with pain and fear. He’s never faced anything like this, he doesn’t know how to process it. “I-I went to the window for...for some air and that’s...when he…”

 

“Put the dagger against your back,” Jongin finishes for him, gently leading him down the stairs. “Did he say anything to you?”

 

Sehun’s shoulder shakes as he cries harder and harder. He shakes his head and touches Jongin’s hand over his throat. “Jongin, he killed my parents!” He wails, stepping inside the servant’s basement; his weeping gaining the attention of several servants.

 

“Oh my god!” Junmyeon quickly stands and goes to the Prince. “Why is he bleeding?!”

 

“The assassin attacked him,” Jongin explains, getting Sehun to sit down. Yixing wastes no time in pulling out the necessary things and go to the boy. “Sehun says he’s the same man who killed his parents.”

 

“He told me so,” Sehun whimpers. When Jongin goes to step back, the prince grabs onto his arm. “P-please d-don’t go.”

 

“Okay, okay,” His husband sighs. He carefully peels of Sehun’s glove before grabbing his hand. “God, I am an idiot.”

 

“I agree,” Jongdae speaks up, getting up from his seat.”

 

“Baby…” Yixing sighs.

 

“No! If you hadn’t been such a ing to Sehun and left him alone with a goddamn assassin on the lose- I mean what the hell were you thinking?!”

 

“Jongdae, stop it!” Minseok yelps. “You’re gonna make it worse!”

 

Jongdae kicks his chair. “Shut up, Minseok! What if that assassin killed him, huh?!”

 

Yixing gently lifts Sehun by his chin to get a better look. “Jongdae, are you done yelling? Sehun does not need this right now.”

 

“Servant to the rescue, huh, captain cold?”

 

“Jongdae-”

 

“No,” Jongin interrupts. “He is right.”

 

“That’s right- wait,” Jongdae raises his brows. “What?”

 

“You are right,” The cold prince whispers, gripping Sehun’s hand tightly. “I…”

 

“It is okay,” Sehun says softly, smiling sadly up at him. He takes a deep breath and puts a hand on Jongin’s cheek. “I am okay.”

 

“What if that assassin killed you, Sehun?”

 

“He is not after me.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

He shakes his head. “I asked him what he wanted a-and he told me to stay out of the way because all he was after is you,” he sniffs, “Someone...someone paid him to kill my parents and you, Jongin.”

 

“I see. So, in a sense, you are safe.” Sehun swallows hard, a fluttering in his heart when his bangs are gently pushed away from his eyes. A strange, affectionate gesture. 

 

“Yes,” He whispers. “But you are not.”

 

Jongin smiles down at him. “Yes, well, it is a good thing I have my…” He trails off when he looks down at his empty scabbard on his belt. “Sword...that I dropped it.”

 

Sehun holds in a laugh for the sake of making the work for Yixing easy. Who, eventually sits back and sighs. “You are lucky,” The servant says. “Any deeper and you would need stitches. But I rinsed it well, washed the area, and I applied an ointment that I made myself- which I will lend you a bottle of as you heal. Remember to change your bandage, but do not do it yourself; have Prince Jongin or one of us do it,” He explains. “Please, wash it whenever you can. It may not need stitches but he still got you pretty good. I do not wish to see an injection grow and have you completely lose your voice.”

 

“Um…”

 

“That last part was a joke,” Yixing says, completely straight-faced.

 

“Oh,” Sehun laughs nervously and looks at Jongin oddly. 

 

“Ah!” Yixing stands up and pulls off his bloody gloves. “Instead, I will prepare a care package for you- bandages, ointment, teas, a blanket.”

 

“A blanket? Why do I need a blanket?”

 

“Because you are a trauma victim, Sehun,” The servant says as he quickly rounds up things and sets them in a basket. “And whenever a crime happens, the victim is usually wrapped in a nice warm blanket to feel safe and comforted.”

 

Sehun sighs as he stands, letting Jongin and Junmyeon help him up. “I never say no to a nice comfortable blanket, Yixing, but I have plenty in my room.”

 

“Regardless, you are still getting one,” He insists as he folds it and lays it on top to cover all of the items under his basket. He hands it to Sehun, who finally accepts after the Chinese man’s intense but kind stare. He clears his throat before smacking Jongdae hard on the head. “What the hell is wrong with you?!”

 

“OWW!” His boyfriend whines. ”what was that for?!”

 

“What are you thinking?! What if Jongin had you hung for talking to him like that?! Then what would I do?”

 

Sehun smiles and says goodbye to them all as his husband softly ushers him out the door and up the stairs. 

 

Jongin begins to lead Sehun out of the room and up the stairs. “Jongin, I am sorry...I did not mean to worry anyone.”

 

“Sehun, your throat was...cut. I think you are allowed to worry people,” he sighs. “I am...very glad I made us learn a signal.”

 

“Honestly? Me too…” Sehun sighs and stops once inside their bedroom; not before Jongin makes him wait outside while he checks for their mystery attacker. When happy the room is clear, he blocks the window securely and only then lets the prince in. “Jongin, I need to talk to you.”

 

“Alright, Jongin says, resheathing his weapon.

 

“Why…” He nervously begins to his tunic and slowly pulls it off. He stares at his white shirt beneath, stained with his dry blood. “No, nevermind,” He says, now undoing his undershirt and pulling it off his shoulders. More dried blood from under his collar, down his chest and stomach. He looks up when Jongin steps up behind him. 

 

“No, ask me.”

 

“Why…” He avoids looking into the man’s eyes. “Why did you act that way before? I-I do not know what I did wrong…”

 

“Ah, Jongin watches as Sehun fills a basin with water. He takes a rag and dips it in before gently cleaning his skin. “Sehun, I am...very confused lately.”

 

“Yes, I am too,” He admits. “...Was it last night?” He asks quietly. “D-did I do something wrong?”

 

“What?” His husband groans. “No, no,” He grabs the rag from Sehun’s hand and sets it back in the basin; he forced Sehun to face him. “Last night was indescribable! But I...I freaked out, okay? I have never been that close and intimate...ever,” he whispers, seeming to struggle. “Sehun, I sat up last night, holding you as you slept scared for the first time since my mother died.”

 

“Jongin…”

 

“I just freaked out and before I knew it, the sun was already rising...I just got out of bed and, I do not know...I just distracted myself.”

 

“I am sorry,” Sehun murmurs. “I did not mean to confuse you…”

 

“Stop...blaming yourself, Jongin takes a step forward and sets a hand on the prince’s cheek. “You realize that you were attacked today, right?”

 

“W-well, yes…” He closes his eyes and swallows hard as he nods. He hums when a soft kiss is placed on his cheek. And a few more on his lips.

 

“We will find the assassin, Sehun. And whoever paid him,” His husband whispers against his lips. “Come, I think we both need to sleep."

 

“Yes,” Sehun sighs and allows himself to be pulled to the bed. “I believe so.”



 

“Teach me how to fight,” Sehun says as he enters the study. Jongin and Kyungsoo look up from their books in confusion. “I wish to learn how to wield a sword.”

 

Jongin slowly sets his things down and sighs. “Sehun-”

 

“I do not want a repeat of a few days ago,” He interrupts, pulling his collar down to reveal his neck wound. “I just want to learn the basics and how to properly defend myself; even if it’s to get away. I...I never want to be in the position again…”

 

“You are right,” His husband nods. “I will make sure a servant is with you at all times and double the guards-”

 

“No!” Sehun walks closer to them. “Please, Jongin, I do not want to be vulnerable!”

 

Jongin looks as if he wants to say something. But after a moment, he just sighs and nods. “Alright but only basic self-defense, dear.”

 

Sehun slowly grins. “Dear?”

 

Jongin frowns. “What? No, I said nothing.”

 

“No, you called me dear,” The prince points out. “You called me dear!”

 

“Drop it or I will not teach you.”

 

“That is fair!” Sehun gasps. “I am sorry, please teach me!”

 

Jongin smiles, nodding to Kyungsoo. “Can you do this on your own, Kyungsoo?”

 

Kyungsoo chuckles. “Jongin, I always do this work without anyone’s help. Go, it would be smart for Sehun to arm himself.”

 

Sehun takes Jongin’s arm when offered and walk out into the hall. His husband sighs and puts a hand on Sehun’s. “I am going to be very tough on you, alright?”

 

“Alright,” The prince agrees as he’s led toward the courtyard. Once there, Jongin lets go of him and stands at the center. He gets shirtless before motioning to the prince to do the same. Sehun shyly pulls off his jacket and tunic, taking both of their shirts and neatly folding it. 

 

“First things first,” Jongin begins, stepping up behind Sehun. “Knowing you, you will try your hardest to try and talk your way out of any violence,” He begins, grabbing the prince’s arms and getting him to get into a defensive stance. “But when that fails, you should know how to defend yourself without a weapon. When it comes to it, you could just scratch the eyes.”

 

“But he wore a mask…”

 

“Oh, true,” His husband nods and steps in front of the boy. “You can him in the throat or nose with an open or closed fist,” He demonstrates. “Alternatively, use your elbow.” 

 

“O-okay,” Sehun stutters, trying to copy Jongin’s movements. “Like this?”

 

“Your stance is weak, stand up straight. Also, the next time that man comes for you, try to rip off his mask. It may surprise him enough for you to get a quick hit.”

 

Sehun subconsciously touches his throat and takes a deep breath. He’d love to see that jerk’s face. Look at his parent’s murderer’s right in the eyes and give him a good punch. That thought makes him more determined and forces him to focus. “You want to aim for the Adam's apple or base of the throat.” He puts a hand on Sehun’s shoulder and looks him in the eye. “And Sehun, if all plans fail...there is always a crotch shot.”

 

“C-crotch shot?” Sehun widens his eyes.

 

“That’s right,” Jongin chuckles. “Aim for the center of the groin, directly in the center of the attacker’s legs.”

 

“That is so unfair…”

 

“You are fighting for your life, Sehun, fair is out of the question. Another option is to kick in the front of their knee,” the cold prince brings his leg up and hovers his foot to the sides of Sehun’s knees. If he has you knocked down, use your elbows instead.”

 

“Okay,” Sehun nods quickly. He tries to focus when he’s grabbed; Jongin tightly wrapping his arms around him from behind.

 

“If you’re grabbed like this, head- backward so that the back of your skull hits them in the nose. Drive your head as hard as you can, the pain should release their grip,” Jongin pauses. “Alright, give me your best shot.”

 

“What?!”

 

“Give me your best shot,” he repeats. “Show me how hard that pretty head can hit.”

 

“I have to hurt you?!”

 

“I doubt you can hurt me all that bad.”

 

“B-but what if I do?” Sehun shivers when he feels his instructor's breath against his ear and neck. 

 

“I doubt you can,” he murmurs. “Try me.”

 

Sehun furrows his brows. How come that was so damn attractive to him? “What’s wrong?” The prince laughs nervously when a kiss is placed on his neck. “Are you having a hard time focusing?”

 

“N-no,” He mumbles. “You are making it hard to want to head- you.”

 

“Very well,” Jongin chuckles, letting him go to once again take place in front of him. “You can always head- forward if your assailant is in front.” The cold prince motions to a nearby servant. Now seeing that it’s Luhan, the deer-like boy happily takes a wooden dagger nearby and runs it over. “Thank you, Luhan.”

 

Luhan widens his eyes. “T-thank you?”

 

Jongin raises a brow. “Yes, thank you.” The boy beams and practically skips back to his place. It causes Sehun to smile. “I want to start you off small before we move on to a sword. A dagger would be better for you, especially if you conceal it as you did before.” He looks down at Sehun’s hands. “So, you know how to hold one.”

 

“Well, yes,” Sehun admits. “Junmyeon made me after he was attacked.”

 

“How about I instead teach you how to disarm someone instead,” Fingers gently touch the bandage on Sehun’s throat. “So this does not happen again.”

 

Sehun lets out a shaky breath. “O-okay. I am ready…”