Safe?

Cold Eyes

 

 

Sehun feels particularly emotional that day, everything hitting him again. He doesn’t know if it’s being back home or the fact that he’s been staring at this painting of his parents for half an hour. He pulls a handkerchief from his pocket and gently unfolds it. He uses the smooth material to wipe the tears streaming from his eyes. He stares up at his mother’s kind eyes, staring back down at him. It’s almost as if she’s trying to comfort him even in her death. 

la

“It is strange,” Jongin says as he slowly approaches, standing beside the prince. “A painting can look so alive, hold someone or something beautiful forever.”

 

“I concur,” He whispers. He refolds the handkerchief, using the dry side to catch more tears that fall. His shoulders shake as he tries not to make any noise. Unable to hold it in, his sobs echoes through the large room; nothing heard aside from his cries. He looks down at the fabric when it’s all socked, slowly sliding it back into his pocket. He sniffs and smiles tightly when his husband hands him a dry one. “T-thank...thank-”

 

“Do not speak,” Jongin sighs. “I understand.”

 

Sehun shakes his head as he chokes up more. He shuts his eyes tightly and takes a deep breath. “Thank you for...for being kind,” He sighs. “It...it really makes this w-whole…”

 

“You are welcome,” His husband replies. 

 

Sehun sniffs and looks to his husband, trying to put on a smile. “Are you well, Jongin?”

 

Jongin huffs and shakes his head. “Sehun...you um...you are taking their deaths better than I took mine.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

Jongin lets out a sigh as he looks up at the painting. “When my mother died, I pushed everyone away, including my father. I...will admit, I acted very selfishly,” he admits. “But both of your parents died and yet you are asking ME how I am doing. Why…” He looks at Sehun and swallows hard. “Why are you so kind?”

 

Sehun stares at him for a moment before looking away, back to his mother’s painting. He looks down at the fabric in his hand, at his husband’s initials stitched on. Gently rubbing it with his fingers, he sighs. “I do not know how to answer that...but if I am as...kind as you think I am,” He pauses. “It is because of her.”

 

“I see…”

 

Clearing his throat, he looks at Jongin again. “Earlier today, you motioned something to Kyungsoo,” He says. “Why? What was that?” He takes Jongin’s arm when offered as they begin to walk out of the room together. 

 

“I told you I do not trust that strategist,” Jongin begins, “There is something you should know about Kyungsoo.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“He is not a servant.”

 

Sehun furrows his brows in confusion. “I am sorry, what? He...he  isn’t a servant?”

 

“No, he is a spymaster.”

 

The prince widens his eyes and looks around. “A-a-!”

 

“Shh,” Jongin hushes him, almost glancing around now.

 

“Do the other servants know?”

 

“No, of course not,” His husband scoffs. “He is a spymaster after all. I do not think he would be good at it if anyone knew.”

 

“Does your father-”

 

“No.”

 

“Wow,” Sehun coughs. “I um...he is investigating my brother’s strategist?”

 

Jongin nods slowly. “As I said before, I do not trust him and you should not either; at least for now. Stick close to Junmyeon, Kyungsoo, or myself and do not allow yourself to be alone with him.”

 

The prince nervously clings to his husband’s arm and swallows hard as they continue walking. “W-why not? Jongin, d-do you think he had something to do with…”

 

“I do not know,” He admits. “But I will find out. The way he spoke down to you made me very suspicious and to be honest, angry. Even if he is your brother’s strategist, he has no place to speak to you or anyone of your family in that manner.

 

“Yes,” Sehun nods in agreement. “You have a point. I have never had a strategist or anyone speak to in such a manner. I-I was shocked…”

 

Jongin chuckles. “Spoiled, huh?”

 

The prince gives him a pointed look. “Come on, has anyone ever been so disrespectful to you?”

 

“My husband yelled at me recently,” Jongin seems to joke as they head down the open hall. 

 

“You had no one to blame for that but yourself.” Sehun smiles when his husband does. “I am serious. Have you had anything like that?”

 

“Yes, a few times,” He admits. They stop at a courtyard and glances out at the busy area. Commoners, servants, guards, and nobles go about their day; busy with their many chores and duties. 

 

“What happened to them?”

 

Jongin remains silent for a moment. “They were hung,” he finally speaks up.

 

Sehun stares at him, stunned. “They...they were-”

 

“The only reason that man was not hung for disrespecting you, is because I am not the authority here; your brother is. And I am starting to judge your brother for not punishing his disrespectful strategist.”

 

“M-maybe he was just distracted and he did not notice.”

 

“No, Sehun, he was not distracted. I do not know what he was thinking but it is clear, he was not distracted.”

 

“I…” The prince looks around nervously. “Jongin, I can not stop thinking...all of these guards and people,” he begins. “All of these people a-and no one saw…”

 

Jongin takes a deep breath. “Are you thinking it was an inside job?”

 

Sehun looks between all of the nobles and slowly shakes his head. “I do not know, but I feel...strange. This was my old home and yet I feel as if I can trust no one but you three.”

 

“Good. Keep that mentality up, Sehun, for the time we remain here. I will keep having Kyungsoo look into it in the meanwhile.”

 

“Ok,” He lets out a shaky breath. “Thank you.”

 

Jongin lets go of Sehun, turning to look at him. “Go meet with your brother and help with funeral arrangements; Junmyeon should already be there. I will meet with Kyungsoo and...look into this more,” he glances around. “Be careful and trust no one but us. Do not leave Junmyeon’s side.”

 

“A-alright,” Sehun watches as his husband quickly walks off, nodding to a guard or two as he leaves. He lets out a shaky breath and smooths out any wrinkles on his tunic; composing himself now. 



 

Sehun tries to remain calm as he writes, dipping his quill back in ink every so often. He lets out a long, shaky sigh. If they plan on staying here for a few days, he wants to let his servants know why he’s away. After he finishes, he sets it to the side to let the ink dry.

 

“Who are you writing letters for, Sehun?”

 

Sehun looks up at his brother as he approaches and smiles. “Oh, just a couple of friends back home.” 

 

“Oh, who does what include?”

 

“Well, my servants...”

 

His brother hums in responses as he looks around the study. “Where is your husband?”


 

“Prince Jongin? Oh, I believe he’s exploring the castle with his servant, Kyungsoo.”

 

“Are you happy with him?” he glances over, watching as his brother gently touches some nearby books. 

 

“Yes, he is very kind to me.”

 

“Really? I heard the rumors...of what kind of man he is.”

 

Sehun shakes his head. “I know b-but-”

 

“How strong is his kingdom?” His brother cuts in.

 

Sehun furrows his brows and looks at him. “W-what? What kind of question is that?”

 

His brother smiles down at his brother. “Come on. I just worry about you, Sehun. I want to make sure you are well protected.”

 

“Of…” Sehun clears his throat, forcing a smile as he looks at his letter. “Of course. The funeral is tomorrow, yes?”

 

“Yes,” His brother replies. “As well as my ceremony.”

 

Sehun raises his brows, once again looking at him. “What? O-on the same day?”

 

“Well, my strategist is right; I can not leave it for too long.”

 

“Y-yeah but…”

 

“Look, Sehun, just relax. You are back home and you are safe here, okay?”

 

Sehun frowns. Why would he mention safety? He stares up at him for a moment, unsure what to say. He clears his throat and nods. He mentions to his servants in the letter now, how he feels strange here; almost in danger. “Of course, brother.” He stands up and grabs his letter, folding it. After putting it in an envelope, he writes the proper names. “Well, I have to get these sent out.”

 

“I can send them for you,” His brother says, taking a step closer. He doesn’t know why he did it, but he subconsciously stumbles away; clutching his letter tightly. 

 

“No, no, It is okay.” He slowly walks back toward the door, staring at the odd look on his brother’s face. “Letters are so much more...personal when sent by you personally,” He lies. He forced a smile and bows before quickly walking away. Why did he feel so afraid? He takes a deep breath as he walks, making his way to where Junmyeon is staying; his servant said he would find the prince at the study but he’s late.

 

“Junmyeon,” He calls out, knocking on his door. He waits patiently, for anyone to respond. He furrows his brows and knocks again. “Junmyeon?” He gently pushes the door open and peeks inside. Kyungsoo and Junmyeon are staying in the same room. A nice room, because Sehun wanted them to be comfortable for their visit. He slowly surveys the room, dropping his letters when he sees his servant. Junmyeon lies on the floor, blood streams down his face. He gasps and rushes over, quickly kneeling beside him. He puts his ear to Junmyeon’s chest; sighing softly when he hears his heartbeat. “Oh, thank goodness.”

 

Sehun gently lifts Junmyeon's head, patting his cheek. “J-Junmyeon. Junmyeon!”

 

Junmyeon groans softly as his eyes slowly flicker open. He touches his head and squints when seeing blood on his fingers. “W-wha?”

 

“I-I found you on the floor. What happened, Junmyeon?” He helps his servant sit up, gently rubbing his back. He grabs his handkerchief and grimaces as he begins helping him clean the blood.

 

“W-well, I...I had my back to the door, I guess that’s where they came in,” he begins to explain. “When I turned, They um...hit me on my head, hard.”

 

Sehun reaches over and grabs his letter. After this, he really does need to let his servants back home know. He stands up, grabbing Junmyeon’s arm and helps him up as well. “Come on, we need to find Jongin.”

 

“Yes,” Junmyeon sighs. He grabs his own piece of cloth and wipes the blood off. It’s luckily not a bad wound; just enough to make him unconscious. “Why would they target me, though? I’m just a servant.”

 

Sehun shakes his head. “I do not know, Junmyeon,” He whispers. “My...my brother was acting weird.”

 

“Weird? How so?”

 

He stops by a servant and hands the letter to him. “No matter what, send this straight away. Give it to no one, not even my brother, okay?” He hands the boy some gold before he runs off.

 

“What letters are those?”

 

Sehun takes a deep breath. “A letter to the servant back home...telling them I do not feel safe here.”

 

“Yes, I can see how you do not feel...safe,” Junmyeon laughs dryly.

 

“Is your head okay?”

 

“Just a small headache. I will be alright…”

 

Sehun and Junmyeon both enter another study, a different one from before, finding Kyungsoo and Jongin sitting at one of the tables. They speak silently together before they notice them. “Prince Sehun, Junmyeon,” Kyungsoo greets. “My goodness, what happened to your head?”

 

Junmyeon sighs when the spymaster takes his friend’s hand and pulls him to sit down. He looks through the small bag he has before starting to work on cleaning him up. “I was attacked in our room.”

 

“Attacked?!” Jongin frowns. “In the middle of the day?”

 

“Yes,” Sehun nods slowly. He looks to his husband with a worried look. 

 

“Okay,” Jongin takes a deep breath. “I do not think we should stay here longer than we have to. We will stay for the funeral and then we must leave.”

 

“My brother wishes to hold his ceremony on the same day.”

 

Kyungsoo frowns. “What? On the same day? That is highly...unusual and, honestly, disrespectful.”

 

“Regardless, we leave after the funeral,” Jongin says. “It is not safe.”

 

“We are not staying for the ceremony?” Sehun asks and his husband shakes his head. He glances at Kyungsoo and nods.

 

“My findings have lead me to believe...I believe there will be an assassination attempt.”

 

Sehun widens his eyes, grabbing onto Junmyeon’s arm tightly. “O-on my brother?”

 

Kyungsoo swallows hard and shakes his head. “No, Sehun...on Jongin.”

-----------------------

 

Can you guys vote here? :D https://www.asianfanfics.com/poll/aff_view/131881