Surprise Guests

Cold Eyes

 

Sehun stares at the stain in the wood. He subconsciously fiddles with the quill in his hand. He has to write his brother a letter, telling him about their parent’s murderer, but he comes up blank. Which is odd, because he loves to write. But everytime he dipps it in ink, he imagines Zitao sitting down to write. The chinese painter dips his quill into ink, but it's not ink. It’s Yifan’s blood. He shivers and sets it down on the desk before crossing his arms. “This is silly,” He sighs softly. “It is...a letter.” He looks at the dagger on the dresser. He had picked it up since that night. After standing still for several minutes, he grabs a spare rug from the shelf and places it on top of the stain. Junmyeon said he would be able to get the stain out and it’d take a bit but he can’t stand to stare at it. 

 

The prince quickly leaves the room and heads for Jongin’s study. As soon as he's inside, he locks the door behind him. “Any luck?” He asks.

 

“I am afraid not,” Kyungsoo replies. He sets an opened letter down and shakes his head. “All of my contacts in China have come up empty and no one has seen him flee the country yet. So I can surmise he is still...here.”

 

“Oh, good,” Sehun scoffs but still smiles when Junmyeon pulls out the chair for him.

 

“Sehun, you look very tired,” his servant points out.

 

“He has not been sleeping well,” Jongin speaks up, his eyes still on his book. “He has had nightmares every night since…” He looks up and frowns.

 

“It is okay,” Sehun whispers. “Since the death of my parents. It is mostly the same dream, but now Zitao and Yifan are standing over me with...knives.” He shakes his head. He doesn’t want to talk about the rest. Glancing out the window, he stares at the blue sky; his eyes feel heavy. He whines childishly and leans his head on Jongin’s arm. Warm hands gently touch his face and it soothes him. 

 

“We will find him, Sehun...I doubt he knows of Yifan’s death but when he does…”

 

“He said they were friends,” Sehun says. “Though, I am not sure how much to believe.”

 

“Actually, I believe everything he has told you so far has been the complete truth,” Junmyeon speaks up.

 

“Oh? Kyungsoo raises a brow.

 

“I truly believe Zitao loves Sehun and sees lying to him as...well, a form of betrayal. In fact, he probably thinks Sehun will come to his senses, so to speak,” He explains. “That in his delusion, Sehun will choose to leave Jongin and be with him; regardless of everything.”

 

“That is crazy!” Sehun exclaims. “I...I would sooner watch him be executed!”

 

Jongin puts his hands firmly on the Prince’s shoulders. “And we will, I promise.”

 

“...Thank you, Jongin.” He smiles and leans back to look at his husband. A soft humming emanates from him when he’s softly kissed. “I do not think this is appropriate in front of our servants.” But when he glances at the other two, they’re not even paying attention; checking letters and writing some. He blushes and once again looks back up. The fond look on Jongin’s face makes his heart flutter. To think months ago, this man was cold and distant. He wonders what made him change so quickly? Or, perhaps, he didn’t change at all. Maybe he’s just showing his true colours. He stands up, accepting when his husband offers his hand. 

 

“Come, let us get some lunch. I know you skipped breakfast.”

 

“I am sorry,” He whispers and allows himself to be pulled away, toward the door. “I...I do not feel well, lately.”

 

“I understand,” Jongin says. “Your parents died not too long ago, and then you found out you had a stalker. After that, Yifan snuck in and cut...your throat. And then...two nights ago…” Sehun subconsciously touches the scar on his throat; it’s still slightly sore. “I am not surprised you awake screaming every night.”

 

Sehun swallows hard. “I am sorry,” He says again. His voice is low.

 

“Why do you insist on apologizing? You went through a rough year, Sehun.”

 

“Yes...I suppose.”

 

“You suppose?”

 

Sehun stops in his tracks and stares at the ground. He slowly pulls his hand away. “I am not hungry, afterall…”

 

“No?”

 

He smiles sadly and shakes his head. “I will catch up with you,” He mumbles. He turns away and quickly heads off, trying to not seem in a huge hurry. But he is. Because he knows Jongin would insist on being with him, but he needs to be alone right now. Sehun finds his way to the music room, shutting the doors behind him as he steps; the breeze from the window makes the room cold; causing the prince to shiver. He sits at the piano, slowly opening up the lid. 

 

Back home, he used to play the piano all the time. He shuts his eyes as he begins to play- music fills the room. The young prince had played alongside his mother. At the mention of his parents, his fingers falter and cause an off-key note. He thinks about leaving his kingdom and it pulls at his heart. From that, and then to Zitao. How he painted that picture for him. How the prince found comfort in it. How he would stare at it for hours before he fell asleep and it would sometimes stop the tears. It wasn’t because he was looking at his face but the thought that someone saw through his royal facade; albeit it was a live-time stalker. Zitao. Yifan. He halts in his movements and stares at the keys, suddenly beginning to swell with emotions and realization. 

 

The prince tries to blink away the tears that threaten to cloud his vision. But with even the one that falls, it all comes rushing to him. This whole year, his parent’s death, Zitao How he actually killed a man. Laying his head on his hands and the keys, his shoulders begin to shake as he quietly sobs. It’s not long before his gloves are damp- as well as the instrument below. He doesn’t even know where to begin or where to end. He knows they have to deal with Zitao to move on but why can’t he just leave it to Jongin and the others? In all honesty, he could. They probably expect him to. But then he’ll feel like a useless, spoiled brat. 

 

Sehun sniffs and sits up. He goes to wipe his eyes with his hands but instead uses his handkerchief. He knows better. Taking a deep sigh, he sits still for a few minutes as he calms himself down. He’s not going to sit here like a pathetic mess. Leaving the room, he keeps his eyes forward as he strides down the hall; his walk full of determination. 

 

Junmyeon looks up when Sehun enters the room, smiling weakly at him. Sehun, hello.”

 

“Junmyeon, I want you to teach me how to fight,” He says bluntly. “Not just with a small little dagger...but everything. With just my bare hands, I do not want to be found in a position like with Yifan again.”

 

His servant raises his brow in surprise. “What? But Jongin-”

 

“I know what Jongin wants,” Sehun interrupts. “But that was before someone tried to kill him in front of me. Not only that but then that damn assassin...snuck into our room and nearly slit my throat.”

 

Junmyeon slowly nods. “While I am not keen on making Jongin angry, I think he will forgive me when it saves your life.”

 

Sehun sighs. “Thank you, Junmyeon. I really appreciate this.”

 

“Yes, well...I am not so frightened of Jongin, especially as of late.”

 

The prince smiles weakly, knowing what he means. “When can we start?
 

“As soon as you are ready,” he pauses. “From the look on your face, I suppose you are ready now?” When there is silence, Junmyeon nods. “Very well.” He sets a book down and stands. “Do you wish for Jongin to know?”

 

“I do not care if the servants know, but I would like to keep this from Jongin. At least for the time being...he needs to see that this will be good for me.”

 

“Yes, you should be able to protect yourself,” He agrees with a sigh before leading him out of the room. They make their way to the training grounds- the ones that have much more privacy than the others. “Though, I thought Jongin had been training you himself.”

 

“Yes, that’s true,” he admits as he pulls off his jacket. He watches as Junmyeon pulls off his shirt and neatly folds it to the side. The servant lets out a long sigh before putting his fits up.

 

“I will not go easy on you, Sehun.”

 

“Good!”

 

“Then...let’s begin.”



 

Sehun doesn’t know why but he’s unsurprised to find that Junmyeon is harder on him than Jongin. Sure, his husband pushes him but his servant does more so. He groans as he uses linen to wipe the sweat from him, sitting down on a nearby bench. “You have a good foundation for a beginner,” Junmyeon says, handing him a cup of water. The prince scoffs before downing it; uncharacteristically. 

 

“I do not know about that,” He rests his head on his knees and pants heavily. Once he catches his breath, he stands back up  and stretches. “I really...wish this Tao thing will be resolved soon,’ He sighs. “I want to feel safe again.”

 

“I know,” Junmyeon sighs, approaching him with his things. When the prince feels cool enough, he pulls on his shirt again. “All of the others are working hard to find him. He can not hide if Kyungsoo has eyes everywhere.”

 

Sehun slowly nods. “It’s surprising how far Kyungsoo’s reach is,” he chuckles. “And everyone else thinks he is just a simple servant.”

 

“Your majesty!” Someone calls out. When Sehun looks, he turns and smiles as Yixing approaches. 

 

“Yixing, hello. Ho are you feeling tod-”

 

“Your brother is here.”

 

Sehun raises a brow. “What? My...my brother?”

 

“You did not know he was visiting?” Yixing asks, frowning. Junmyeon looks confused as well but shakes his head.

 

“Regardless, shall we go greet him?”

 

“I...feel a little strange greeting my brother all sweaty. I should bathe.”

 

“I think you should go as you are,” Yixing says. “Actually…” He grabs the prince’s jacket from a nearby bench. “You look like you have been working hard. It will be good for your brother to see that.”

 

“You...think so?” Sehun asks and Junmyeon nods in agreement.

 

“And make it seem like his visiting does not bother you as much as it does.”

 

Sehun sighs. “Very well...let us be off.” He doesn't know why it bothers him. He should be happy that his brother is visiting, right? So why does his heart drop into his stomach when he sees the man having tea with Jongin and his father in the dining room; that damn strategist. Forcing a smile, he walks forward, ignoring the shaking in his legs. “Brother, hello! I did not know you would visit,” He says as soon as he’s close enough.

 

“Baby brother,” Hsi brother greets and raises a brow. “You look...unexpectedly and slightly disheveled.”

 

“I’m afraid you caught me after a partially long dance practice session,” He lies and motions to Junmyeon; who is also a bit sweaty. 

 

“You dance...with your servants?” The strategist asks in disgust. 

 

Sehun doesn't even look at him now, keeping his eyes trained on his brother. “What are you doing here? Not that I am not pleased by your arrival…”

 

“I know it is weird but with the death of our parents weeks ago, I thought I could visit to see how you were doing.”

 

“I appreciate your concern. Having Prince Jongin and my servants with me help,” He says, nodding to his husband. “How...long will you be visiting?”

 

“Only a few days, do not worry. With my new responsibilities as king, I can not stay away for too long.”

 

The new kings. Sehun’s chest grows tight but he keeps his smile. “Then, I will send some servants to collect your things.”

 

“What of this servant?” The strategist asks. “Can he not-”

 

“Please keep in mind that you are here as a guest in our home,” Sehun interrupts, only now looking at the man. “Here, you are a guest of my brother’s, not a strategist. Remember that and know your place.” Jongin slowly smiles but says nothing as he sips his tea. “I hope you enjoy your visit, dear brother.” With a deep bow to his brother, he turns and walks out; Junmyeon follows close behind. As soon as they’re out of earshot, the servant speaks up.

 

“Sehun, that was impressive,” He chuckles. “Even Jongin looked very pleased.”

 

Sehun stops at the front of the bathroom door and turns to face him. “Keep a close eye on both my brother and his friend, please. I do not trust either of them.”

 

“Not even your brother?”

 

“Right now...no,” he looks in the direction they came from. “Not even him.”