1 + 1 = 3

That June Everything Changed

AN: 

1-To keep Jin-ah’s private life private (until she comes public with her relationship), I will not name her TJEC boyfriend. But I hope the little brains who want to know will figure it out… 

2-This is a *long* chapter but Ji-hyun was overthinking things and insisted on having her moment… 

 

—Early November 2020—

Jin-ah scrolled through her Oppa’s instagram while she waited for Min-ji and Ji-hyun to arrive. She was feeling frustrated with her life. Work was going well, she had no complaints there. “Melt Me Softly” had pushed her into the public spotlight and the number of projects she was being offered had increased. More importantly, they were good projects. What was harder was her love life. Oppa wanted to go public. After Ji-hyun and Chang-wook had been exposed he presented her a list of reasons for them to go public:

 

1- They had been dating for three years.

2- They had the approval of her family and his.

3- NAM JI-HYUN and JI CHANG-WOOK WERE PUBLIC AFTER TWO MONTHS!!!

 

When she had pointed out the backlash Ji-hyun had received, he had pointed out that she was a popular actress and it hadn’t affected her career. But he didn’t understand the most crucial point. The thing that scared her was the “shippers”. It was a nasty word she had learnt as she got to know Ji-hyun and Chang-wook. For someone like Oppa, who could ignore the comments posted, shippers were flies. For her they would be elephants, and she was the fly. 

 

“Jin-ah!!!” Ji-hyun bounced into the room a smile on her face. “What is the matter?”

 

“Nothing…”

 

“Is he trying to convince you again?” she plopped down next to her and frowned.

 

“Yes,” Jin-ah grimaced

 

“He doesn’t understand, does he? The hate from the shippers? Isn’t that what is bothering you? That Oppa of yours… his shippers are fiercer than my Oppa’s.”

 

Jin-ah held her breath and tried to hold back what she wanted to reveal. When she let it out, however, the words came out as well.

 

“I thought that we could keep it secret and we have… but the shippers… and the women he is shipped with… I ran into one of them recently. She was so condescending. Smiling but I just knew that she was thinking how pathetic I am. How he is just using me… And he isn’t, which only made it hurt more. I don’t know if I’m afraid of the hate I’ll get or the pity.”

 

“Neither. Because… oh, they want to protect us but forget that the best protection is just getting on with life.”

 

“You know, we had dinner together the other night. Just the two of us at a small place near mine. It was so perfect to just be out and no one was watching because they were focused on the news about that idol.”

Jin-ah looked at the menu. Tonight was a night for sumaek. But when it came to ordering, Ji-hyun asked for water and later ordered a soda. It killed her buzz. But Jin-ah knew that if she was drunk she’d call Oppa and ask him to collect her, and he would because that was the kind of man he was.

 

“How about a party?” Ji-hyun asked. “I want to throw a party… dinner… bbq… We can invite everyone. The boyfriends know each other now. My Oppa… I know Tae-hyung and he… he knows your Oppa and we can have the others as well. Plus me and you and Min-ji eonnie…Eun-ji eonnie, too. And anyone else.”

 

Min-ji gave her support but declined the invite because she would be filming. So Jin-ah found herself telling her Oppa as he drove her home that night. 

 

“What do you think?”

 

“Jin-i. Seriously? Seriously? You will have dinner with all of us? All those couples and us? Yes! I like it. I like it so, so much.”

 

He reached over and raised her hand to his lips. 

 

 

Ji-hyun waved as Jin-ah came through the door of the BBQ restaurant.

 

“Hi,” Jin-ah said.

 

Ji-hyun smiled. She couldn’t imagine the normally confident woman being so shy but when her tall, handsome Oppa walked in Ji-hyun began to suspect. This was their first time out together with celebrity friends. She knew that they had once joined Chang-wook for a “Mi-rae Leaves” watch party but the only other person there had been Chi-gu. Tonight she would be meeting his friends.

 

“Anyong!” He waved. His smile overtook his face as he greeted everyone. When his eyes locked with Jin-ah he gave her a wink and made a little heart for her.

 

“HYUNGS!” Tae-hyung shouted from the door. He bounded over and in front of Jin-ah. He bowed deeply to her before introducing himself. “Kim Tae-hyung. I am so pleased to meet you Hyeongsu-nim.”

 

There was a tense silence until Won Jin-ah’s ever considerate boyfriend knocked Tae-hyung upside the head.

 

“Kaes…”

 

“Oppa!” Jin-ah snapped.

 

It broke the tension and everyone laughed. Soon the final few invitees arrived. Eun-ji settled next to Tae-hyung, who was happily eating all the food that she put on his plate. 

 

“Tae-hyung-ah… Don’t you think that you should be feeding your girlfriend?”

 

“I’m on a diet. I have to be happy with watching him eat,” she explained. “Come back…”

 

As the only other idol was busily stuffing his face, they had to accept this explanation. 

 

“Hyun-i, why aren’t you drinking?”

 

“Omo, Ji-hyun? Are you ok?”

 

“Yes. Just don’t feel like drinking,” she smiled.

 

 

Ji-hyun woke up feeling queasy. Maybe she should eat some plain rice, but the minute she’d thought about food the queasy feeling turned into full-blown nausea. 

 

"Feeling sick?” Chang-wook said from outside the bathroom.

 

"I think so. I ate so much last night at the BBQ.”

 

"I’ll make you some tea." 

 

She heard him walking away towards the kitchen and rested her head against the wall. If she was honest, she had been feeling nauseous for a couple of days. She stood up and brushed her teeth and splashed some cold water on her face. Coming out into the living area, she smiled at Chang-wook who was sitting on her sofa, his phone pressed to his ear. He was talking to someone about a bike ride and where and when they should meet. He motioned to the tea which she gratefully sipped.

 

"Do you have plans?" she asked when he hung up.

 

"Ummm… Yes. I was thinking of going for a… a boys’ weekend. One of the guys is going through a bad patch and they were there for me when…"

  

"Oppa. Stop being so silly. Go. Take care of your friend. Anyway I have some things to get done as well."

 

"That sounds…"

 

"Like none of your business.’”  

 

They shared a kiss and settled in for a long day of watching films. It was one of the first day’s they had been able to spend together without schedules getting in the way and what better than watching movies and ordering delivery? When he left the next morning she sent a message confirming an appointment for the next day.

 

—Mid November 2020--

 

“Ji-hyun-ssi, it has been a long time,” the woman was dressed neatly in a dark knit dress.

 

"Doctor-Nim. I wanted to talk to you. I am sure you saw the news.”

 

“I did see. I am also glad that you reached out to me.”

 

“I’m pregnant,” Nam Ji-hyun didn’t bother beating around the bush. The doctor took the information in stride.

 

"And how does that make you feel?"

 

"Scared, excited… I haven’t told him yet."

 

"And why is that?"

 

"Because… because of what happened. How much we… There was so much hurt and pain on both sides. Misunderstandings, lack of trust. Now it feels like we switched back just as quickly. What if it switches back again? And if there is a child? What happens?"

 

"I think you are asking a lot of very good questions. Why don’t we start with your first one."

 

"Which one?"

 

"How much you hurt each other."

 

Ji-hyun sighed. How much had they hurt each other? She wasn’t sure because she wasn’t sure if they had hurt each other or if they hadn’t trusted their own feelings. No, trust that they wouldn’t be hurt? She felt as if she was spinning with all the conflicting thoughts and feelings coursing through her body. 

 

"I felt like he abandoned me. And that he didn’t share his feelings. He didn’t tell me he was jealous… he didn’t trust me."

 

"Ok. That is a good place to start. But what he did doesn’t mean you were untrustworthy. What might it mean? You are almost there.”

 

"He… he was afraid. Maybe? He was jealous but I didn’t understand that. I didn’t understand why he would be jealous when he knew how I felt.”

 

“Did you tell him how you felt?"

 

“Not explicitly. It was so obvious.”

 

“Maybe not to him. We all experience love in different ways,” her therapist’s voice was comforting but firm. 

 

"I wanted him to say that he loved me. Or at least that he wanted to date me."

 

"So you wanted him to take the first step."

 

"I wanted to do it but I didn’t know how. He is more experienced than I am."

 

"Ji-hyun-ssi. It isn’t always that simple. People have different dynamics relationship to relationship."

 

"I… I know. Of course they do. But it was so easy, made so much sense when we first met. And then…”

 

“He did military service. And that will always take a toll on any relationship."

 

"I thought we were past that though. But I guess… I did a drama, I was out there living my life, and he… he wasn’t. But he still didn’t trust me? Why?" 

 

They continued to talk and for the next hour, but Ji-hyun felt they weren’t getting anywhere. She was overwhelmed by her emotions. Rationally she knew the hormones played a part. She only had to see Oppa’s actions to know how strong their relationship was. And the idea that they might have a baby together was too precious to ignore. 

 

"Do you want to talk again?” her therapist asked as they wrapped up the session.

 

"Yes… I need to work out how to talk to him about the baby.”

 

“Hmmm… Do you have more time now? We could talk about it. I think you’ve made good progress,” the older woman settled back into her chair. She was worried about Ji-hyun. Of course the hormones were playing a part but there were some deep scars there, which needed attention if the couple were going to succeed. 

 

"A little."

 

"Right. Why don’t we talk until you have to go?"

 

She began with the basics. How long had Ji-hyun known? Only a week. Had she gone to a doctor? No, not yet. Had she told anyone? No.

 

"Let’s start there then. How about your eomma? Would she be a good person?"

 

"Yes or Stylist-eonnie."

 

"Then I think you should let them know. It will make you feel more grounded.”

 

"I want to keep the baby. I want to raise the child with him. Oppa, he will be such a good father.”

 

"But you are still worried."

 

"So many celebrity couples struggle… I don’t want to rush into things. People will be shocked. It has been… Only since September.”

 

"And yet you have known each other how long?"

 

"Since January 2017,” Ji-hyun replied. “Or earlier. I don’t know. It feels like we have been meeting each other for so long.”

 

"Why not tell him first then. I think that you are strong enough for that. You are brave…" 

 

The therapist knew she was crossing professional boundaries left and right but the young woman in front of her was captivating and charming to the point it was hard to keep her own motherly instincts in check. 

 

“You just need to be brave,” she continued with a sympathetic smile. “You are worth all the love in the world. You just need to trust yourself. Go where your heart tells you. It is a wise heart."

 

They ended their session when Ji-hyun’s phone buzzed. It was her manager asking her if she needed a ride to her next schedule.

 

 

Chang-wook felt more at peace now than ever before. Ji-hyun was safely tucked up in bed and his friends were urging him to bring her along to their next meet-up. Everyone would bring their girlfriends. A group date just like you might have at school. They all laughed. It was nice to imagine them all together. They’d go to a nice bar where they could play pool and drink beer. Ji-hyun would explain that she was bad at pool. Then she would play and beat all of them. That was the clumsy, loveable, and talented woman he knew. 

 

“Oppa,” he was surprised by her late-night call. "Let’s meet up tomorrow. Can I come to yours?"

 

"Of course! I’d love that. I thought you were asleep."

 

"I am going to sleep. But I want to see you."

 

"Ok, Sleep well.”

 

"You too, sleep well."

 

 

Chang-wook walked into his apartment and dropped his bags by the door. He was still living there rather than at home for no other reason than there were still a few more months on his lease. He was planning on moving into the villa with his mother. It was big enough for him to settle down with his family—the family he would build with Ji-hyun.

 

 

“You're home!” she said when he came into the kitchen to give her a quick kiss. "Go and wash up. I’ll finish up here.”

 

"Ok."  

 

He wanted tonight to be particularly special. He wanted to tell her about the bike he was planning on buying her so that he could start teaching her. It didn’t take long to shower and put on more comfortable clothes for the home date. She too was dressed comfortably and he enjoyed the brief fantasy of future nights like this one.

 

"Do you want a glass of wine?” he asked when he joined her again.

 

"Umm, no, I’m fine,” her little pause made him wonder if anything was up. Since they’d reunited he was hyper-aware of how she talked about everything. 

 

"Are you still not feeling well?” he asked pulling her into a hug. 

 

"Oppa… let’s… I need to tell you something really important. I hope… I’m just a little nervous."

 

"Jiji? What is it? You can tell me anything. I… I want you to know…"

 

"I’m pregnant,” she revealed in a rush.

 

Chang-wook took a step back. He looked at her up and down trying to process her words.

 

"Oh god. I am so sorry I just… It was… We didn’t plan. We should have. We were so careful and then that weekend at the villa and I just thought... pretty naive. It only takes…” she covered her face with her hands. 

 

"Nam Ji-hyun. Nam Ji-hyun-ssi. Jagiya. Jiji. You… you are the most wonderful thing in the world. How could you be so wonderful and give me such a wonderful, beautiful, gift The gift I’ve dreamed of." 

 

He held her tight in his arms and felt tears of happiness prick his eyes. Then he worried he might be hurting her and the life that was growing inside of her. He stepped back again. Her eyes were confused and anxious. 

 

"What is it?” he asked.

 

"Are you happy?" she reached up to wipe his tears.

 

"Of course.”

 

"But you are crying… it will… there will…"

 

"Tears of joy you crazy woman. Wait here. No, come with me.” 

 

He took her hand in his and walked into his bedroom. In his sock drawer he rooted around until he found a little box way in the back. 

 

“I… I wanted to give this to you soon. But I also wanted to give this to you…”

 

 

Ji-hyun’s heart stopped as she took the jewellery box from him. Inside were two very classic and understated couple rings. Also inside was a little note. She recognised the pink paper that was part ripped at the top—the note from the medicine he had left her. It read, "Will you stay by my side? I don’t want to be anywhere else.”

 

“Yes,” she breathed. Her eyes shone with tears. "How long ago?”

 

"The musical—but I got scared. I thought perhaps I should wait a bit. I just didn’t mean to wait this long.”

 

She settled into his arms and thought about all the times they had misunderstood each other, miscommunicated—their missed time. 

 

"Will you put it on for me?" she asked holding out her hand for him. She was amazed at how steady his hand was as he pulled out the daintier ring and slipped it onto her finger. 

 

"My turn," she gave a little sniff as she took his hand in hers. Unlike him, she shook a little as she put the ring on his finger. "Forever Oraboeni."

 

"Forever. I want you, I want all of us," and he placed a loving hand over her belly, "Forever. We will work everything out. I promise to always tell you how I feel.”

 

“I promise that too. Yeobo,” she said tentatively. They simultaneously moved in for a gentle, giving kiss.

 

They were stuck in their own little moment and didn’t hear their phones ring. And if they had they would have ignored them. Instead they lay on the bed just looking at each other. Occasionally one or other of them would reach out and kiss eyes, nose, lips, or cheek. They ran fingers through each other’s hair and were content with looking at each other. They fell asleep like that locked in the gentle embrace of lovers at peace with the world.

 

 

The next morning they woke up to the sound of an insistent knock on the door. Chang-wook sat up and rubbed his face.

"Just a minute!” he called.  

 

‘Ok, but hurry’ Chi-gu called. He sounded annoyed. 

 

Chang-wook ran a quick hand through his hair and checked on Ji-hyun before heading into the sitting room

 

"Why haven’t you been picking up your calls?"

 

"Ummm…"

 

"Ji-hyun-i is here as well? Ok. Good. I mean no one thought she was somewhere else but it would have been good to answer the phone…"

 

"Did something happen?” Suddenly he feared that some horrible gossip was going to derail them. A turn the public sentiment that would somehow hurt Ji-hyun.

 

"Not exactly. Just that there is this idea that you two are getting married. We wanted to confirm before commenting."

 

"Not getting married yet. But why is it so urgent?"

 

"The other rumour is that you are breaking up. That because you went away you two have broken up."

 

Chang-wook burst out laughing. Break-up with Ji-hyun? Now that they were together, now that they had a baby that would never happen. Never.

 

"We aren’t breaking up."

 

"What are you talking about?" Ji-hyun appeared from the bedroom. She was wearing one of his t-shirts and a pair of athletic shorts. While he loved seeing her in his clothes, he decided that it was about time that he made space in his wardrobe for her. She would be spending more time here and therefore would need to have things here so that she didn’t have to keep going back to her apartment every time she stayed over. 

 

"There are conflicting rumours. Either we are getting married or breaking up."

 

"Urgh? At this hour in the morning.”

 

"Are you ok? Are you still getting…" he threw a glance to his friend and manager.

 

"Yes. Oppa? Can you make me some tea?” she pouted.

 

"Go wash up. I’ll make you tea."

 

He was pouring boiling water into the mugs when Chi-gu grabbed his wrist.

 

"Aish. Careful. I almost spilt the water."

 

"You are getting married!” the other man said waving the hand with the couple ring in the air.

 

"Well. I haven’t asked her yet.”’

 

"But she has one of these too?"

 

"Of course! I gave it to her last night. Don’t fuss. You aren’t my mother."

 

"You could have told me," his friend snapped. “I helped you pick them out!"

 

"It was sort of sudden," Ji-hyun said from behind them.

 

“Ji-hyun-i… That man is the least… We gave up hope. I suppose waiting a year now would have been proper. I mean… I don’t understand why you would even think of accepting this idiot’s proposal this quickly."

 

"Why not? We are going to have a baby why shouldn’t I accept him.”

 

Chi-gu gaped. Chang-wook looked like the cat who’d gotten the cream and canary. Ji-hyun managed to appear not only composed but also somewhat disgusted at the idea that she wouldn’t want to marry him. 

 

“Yeobo, where is my tea?”