Eight Years of History

That June Everything Changed

 

On the 30th of December 2009, eight years before our story began, Nam Ji-Hyun almost met Ji Chang-wook at the MBC Award Show. She had just won the award for the best young actress for her role as the young version of Queen Seondeok—it was her third time winning a best young actress award having been nominated every year for the last four years. Meanwhile, Ji Chang-wook was there for his bit part in the drama "Hero". He’d originally thought of skipping the award show but his agency wanted him to go. They argued that he needed more coverage in the press and amongst industry insiders. But that night Nam Ji-hyun and Chang Ji-wook didn’t meet.

 

 

Five years later, now 17, Ji-hyun began going to a new stylist who had been a fan of hers since “Queen Seondeok”. The stylist had desperately wanted to start styling the pretty and articulate young woman, who had just finished her first serious film role in “A Reason to Live”.  When they met for the first time, the older woman insisted on Ji-hyun calling her ‘Eonnie’, which cemented their instant bond.

 

Chang-wook started to see her around the salon and one day they were briefly introduced. She was bright and friendly but entirely uninterested in him—which was intriguing since he knew he was handsome and famous having just completed “Warrior Baek Dong-soo” and receiving the New Star Award. While he was being styled, Stylist-noona informed him that the young actress was very smart and was top of her class and wanted to go to university. 

 

“But Chang-wook, she keeps getting cast with some of the hottest young actors in town. Already three times with Lee Hyun-woo, Kim Soo-Hyun as well, and Yeo Jin-goo just last year.” She said. “There must be something. There is something, let me tell you, about her. So much charisma.”

 

Chang-wook, however, was preoccupied but his current drama which was struggling to keep its ratings up. Moreover, the fact the girl hadn’t asked for a signature annoyed him. Not many actresses, especially younger ones, would be just friendly and polite around him.

 

“She didn’t even ask for my signature!” he complained to his manager over beers that night.

 

“What do you care?”

 

“Nothing. Just… well, a man’s pride!” But it sounded even weak to his ears.

 

 

Two years go by and during an interview for his hit drama Healer, Chang-wook admitted that he found it cute when girls were tone-deaf, couldn’t really dance, and caused havoc when they were drunk. This gets a disgusted look from his always put together costar. 

 

Then, only a couple of weeks later at the KBS award show, Chang-wook saw her singing a duet with her handsome idol costar. She was not a gifted singer but her enthusiasm captivated the audience and he could not help but smile. Suddenly he realised that there was a Korean actress who could happily sing, completely tone-deaf, in a room of hundreds of people and more watching at home and never once stop smiling.

 

Ji-hyun only impressed him more when she won the award for Best New Actress. He realised, belatedly, that she must be pretty talented to get the award when her role in the show was so small. Later in the evening, they stood next to each other on the stage as part of the Couples of the Year Award. She smiled at him but otherwise maintained a respectful distance. On their way off stage, he helped her down the steps and grabbed the opportunity to speak to her.

 

“Nam Ji-Hyun-sshi,” He began. He wanted to compliment her singing but did not know how to do it without sounding insincere. Where was a scriptwriter when you needed one?, he thought ruefully.

 

“Oh! Ji Chang-Wook-sshi,” She gave a little bow, “Apologies, I need to leave first, please forgive me.”

 

Her polite, cheerful, and distant response stumped him. Clearly, he did not have the same impact on her that she did on him. 

 

“It was amusing, of course, but well It isn’t the first time,” he commented to his mother the next day. It felt like a good joke on himself. “I guess she is a bit shy.”

 

He was not only her senior, he rationalised, but he had a reputation for a heartthrob and ladies man, though not exactly earned. And after all, this was her first older role and her two costars were much closer in age. She wouldn’t be used to working with older men, much less having a passing conversation with someone like him. Nevertheless, he hoped to see her at the salon to have the chance to deliver his compliment because it was sincere and she deserved to hear something positive about her singing. However, their schedules never seemed to overlap. Each of them had different commitments and she was finishing school. Still, Stylist-noona kept him updated because he always laughed when hearing about her antics.