Reunion Date

That June Everything Changed

—September 2020—

 

Chang-wook went into the office with a list of demands circulating in his head. The most important was to limit the number of overseas commitments he had and to schedule them with at least two months in between each. 

 

“Where is he?” he asked and smiled at the secretary as he arrived in front of the CEO’s door.

 

“I am sure that he will… Oh,” she said to Chang-wook’s back as he pushed through the door into the large office. The walls were covered with framed photographs of Chang-wook and the agency’s other actors and artists. The mastermind behind the operation was standing on the desk a hola hoop around his waist. 

 

“URHGGW,” the CEO cried when he saw his main star standing in the open door. He barely prevented himself from falling off the desk before Chang-wook jumped over a chair to steady the other man. 

 

“What are you doing?” he asked.

 

“Exercise! I thought I told my secretary…”

 

“I just barged in. Is that really exercise?” 

 

“What are you doing here?” 

 

“I want to talk about my contract. I feel that I should be thinking about doing a few more variety shows…”

 

“You realise they are a lot of work…”

 

“… and I want to try doing a radio show!”

 

His boss looked up at that. Chang-wook on the radio would be good but not necessarily the direction he was aiming for. 

 

“Maybe… later… Look, Chang-wook, I want you to consider this,” he rummaged through a stack of scripts and pulled out one that was a bit battered. “New writer. She keeps sending this script through no matter how many times we return it. But with your most recent projects—spy and salaryman— well, it might be interesting. And it is… you’ll see.”

 

Chang-wook took the script in hand. The treatment was very formal. The kind of thing a student or amateur screenwriter might submit. It was a parody cop show. The cop finds out his brother is the head of a crime syndicate and has to cover up for his brother while also capturing the leader of the crime family. It wasn’t particularly new but the writing was fresh.

 

“I’ll ask Ji-hyun what she thinks,” he said and tucked the script into his back pocket.

 

“Ji-hyun!”

 

“Not important. We need to discuss my future. I want to have fewer overseas commitments so crammed together. I… my eomma is getting older and I want to be able to take care of my family. And I am thinking of when I want to start that family. I am getting older…” he let the words hang in the air as he realised he might have revealed too much.

 

“I don’t want to know what is going on in your head. But we can talk about it. The radio idea isn’t bad… if you would maybe release some music with it? We could…”

 

The two men settled in to discuss Chang-wook’s future. Glorious CEO slowly resigning himself to the fact that soon, and probably sooner than he wanted, Chang-wook would be dating. And that woman would probably be Ji-hyun. He sighed, at least Ji-hyun was responsible. She had proven to be adept at handling the scandals around her. He supposed it could be worse. It could be an idol or an actress, who had a scandal attached to her, or, and this might have surprised some people, better than a Normal Woman. Nam Ji-hyun was a lovely woman and from what he had seen very normal but she wasn’t Normal… she was an actress who was pulling in some of the best projects in the business. Yes, it could be much, much worse. Besides they would date in secret for a bit. No need to rush anything, right?

 

 

The next day Chang-wook arrived at radio show he was doing a recording for. Part of it was promoting his upcoming movie and it was also a chance for him to see if he really did want to have his own radio show. He knew a few of the panel but as he rarely did these programs he was a little unsure. 

 

"Ah, Ji Chang-wook-ssi. You always say you are shy. Why is that!"

 

“Oh… I think I just don’t like… It is hard to know what to say. I’m better with a script!"

 

“That can’t be true!”

 

“I believe it," Nara interrupted. “Remember in “Suspicious Partner” you were always so useless. Ji-hyun-ssi was always rolling her eyes when we did interviews because you could never answer questions properly.”

 

“Hahaha," his laugh was genuine—probably the first genuine laugh during an interview in a long while.

 

"Tell me, how was it working with her on the movie? That was amazing! I never expected that side of her… she was very… y,” one of the male DJs said.

 

"Ji-hyun-ah is always y.”

 

"Oooh! Why do you say that?”

 

"Well, she is. Isn’t she?" he suddenly caught the trick. Throw their questions back at them. Now they would have to agree with him and he could cover his —no need for the headlines to be that he found Nam Ji-hyun y.

 

"Oh very. Yes," the DJ mumbled

 

Nara started cackling with laughter.

 

"So. What is your next project? Tell us about the new project."

 

“It is a dark, dark comedy. I have not done one before. It is a new challenge. But I am looking forward to showing you and my fans a new side of me.”

 

"Your character is a jaded salaryman, who gets into legal trouble because he embezzles money. How did you prepare for that role?" 

 

"I tried to think about why someone would do that. What sort of feelings must that kind of person have.”

 

“Oh… And?"

 

"Why would you risk it? Love. Family. He has nothing to lose. He is a single father. His wife has died. It was easy to relate to that."

 

"Oh! Where is your child! Hahahah. Ji Chang-wook has a love child? That would be a headline!“

 

“Don’t say that! You could cause a real problem,” Nara snapped. Chang-wook caught her eye. There was real fear there. What was she worried about?

 

"No. Not like that. But wanting to protect the people you love no matter the cost,” he replied as if the suggestion that he had a love-child hadn’t been made.

 

"You recently said that you do not have a girlfriend. What is your style? What kind of woman do you like.”

 

Chang-wook coughed. He had not forgotten that he had said he didn’t have a girlfriend and even now he technically didn’t. It was only a few days since the reconciliation and they had only managed to speak on the phone. Answer truthfully, is what Chi-gu had recommended the last time. Don’t lie, ever, just dance around the truth a bit.

 

"It hasn’t changed. I like a beautiful smile. I like a woman who sings even if she is tone-deaf, because It is loveable. I like someone who is y but doesn’t know it,” he smiled. It was, he realised, easy to say these things knowing that Nam Ji-hyun was out there waiting for him. “I wish I could say more but I am simple. I don’t need… hmmmm I want someone smart. I want to be kept on my toes. I also want to watch reruns and have chimaek… normal couple things.” 

 

Everyone laughed.

 

"And if you met her what would you do?” Nara asked. She looked curious. Of all the “Suspicious Partner” cast she had been the most sceptical of their budding relationship. She had even hinted that she thought Chang-wook wasn’t ready for the kind of commitment Ji-hyun deserved.

 

"I would walk through fire for her. Sweep her off her feet. Never let her go! Hahaha. Wouldn’t you?” he countered.

 

 

Kang Ha-nuel had a cameo in his movie. When they finished filming two days later, he pulled him aside and asked him for a drink later. It had been a while since they had caught up properly and the younger man was always a good friend. He was also the only person, other than Chi-gu, Chang-wook felt safe talking to about Ji-hyun. 

 

"Drink? Sure. Where do you want to go?” Ha-nuel asked.

 

"Somewhere with good beer.”

 

"Ok. This weekend?”

 

“I have plans,” Chang-wook grinned. He wasn’t allowed to go to Ji-hyun’s apartment but her father had not said she couldn’t come to his. However he had something other than an “at home” date… something with a bit more of a party atmosphere.

 

“Oh…"

 

"Now? Bang Chi-gu can join us. He can pay…”

 

The promise of free beer was all that was needed. 

 

The three men found a bar that had little rooms in the back for private parties. The walls were made of plywood. While they seemed thin they were specially insulated so that you could never hear what was going on around you. The doors even had buzzers to alert the people inside. It was the most private beer hall in the world. 

 

"So! What was so important that you wanted to get a drink now.”

 

"Ah. Have you spoken to Nam Ji-Hyun lately?"

 

“Why would I have spoken to her?” Ha-nuel took a sip of his beer. This was going to be good. Beer he didn’t have to pay for and his hyung still clearly in love with Ji-hyun.

 

"So, What about Ji-hyun? Actually, I saw her recently. I went to a birthday party for So-min and she was there. She is doing really, really well. But you know this. You were in a movie together.”

 

“She wasn’t really talking to me much then.”

 

“But now…"

 

“We are talking again,” Chang-wook hedged.

 

"Did you confess? I mean it has been… how long? Three… Five? Eight years? Ten?”

 

“Look. Better to do it right the first time,” Chi-gu interrupted feeling a little protective of Chang-wook, who realised he needed to confess that he and Ji-hyun were back on.

 

“I did do it right the first time. It is just the next time it didn’t go too well.”

 

“Third time lucky?”

 

“Of course!” Chang-wook raised his beer.

 

“Of course!”

 

“Of course!”

 

They repeated the phrase while giving each other a cheers.

 

“So you are back on track?” Ha-nuel asked. He threw Chi-gu a glance. The other man looked resigned and a little surprised.

 

“Yes. But I need your help, both of you. I need her to see that I am not jealous and that I am a good, reliable choice.”

 

“Oh. And how are we supposed to do that?”

 

“I want to find a place to go for dinner. A group of people—the “Suspicious Partner” cast. But somewhere that is private. I figure you know some places I don’t. If I go somewhere I’m known the press will be tipped off or my fans. And I want to protect Ji-hyun-ah from scandal.”

 

“I don’t get to come? That isn’t fair. Fine, I’ll play fairy godfather, but I want the next invitation to be to the wedding,” Ha-nuel pouted.

 

“Really?"

 

“I was expecting you to have kids by now that I could spoil, so yes.”

 

 

That weekend after a gruelling day on set, Chang Wook arrived at a popular if discrete restaurant in Gangnam. The entrance was all blue tiles and strange lighting making it look like you were underwater. On his way in he had seen a couple of photographers lurking and realised that someone else famous must already be inside. They were. At one of the tables near the window was a group of young men surrounded by more managers and bodyguards than he could count. He got to the private dining room to find out he was the first to arrive.

 

"Wow. Are they really here too?” Nara asked slipping into the chair across from him.

 

“I guess. Makes me feel…”

 

“Anonymous?”

 

“Kind of.”

 

The door opened and Ji-Hyun came in with her arm around Yoon Bok-in. They arrived with Nam Ki-ae and Lee Deok-hwa. The party was complete when Choi Tae-joon arrived last but with the most fanfare. The cast had known that Chang-wook had royally messed up with Ji-hyun but no one mentioned anything when the two of them sat next to each other.

 

"The gang is all here!” Park Sun-ho PD laughed.

 

“Oh, We have to take a picture,” Tae-joon winked at Ji-hyun and Chang-wook.

 

"Before we eat? I’m hungry… Baegopa oppa, baegopa!!!" Ji-hyun threw aegyo at Tae-Joon, who was sitting across from her.

 

"I swear I didn’t hear that. I didn’t see that. I never wanted to see that. I am sorry hyung. It wasn’t my fault,” Tae-Joon threw his arms in the air and made as if to run away. Chang-wook found himself the of a joke about his relationship… again. In retaliation, he threw all of his aegyo at Ji-hyun. Anything to make her smile tonight… whatever it was he would do it.

 

"Ji-hyun-yang-i Oppa is hungry. Oppa needs food!”

 

“Oh god. Shut him up! Shut him up before I die. Ji-hyun-i! This is your mess. Make him stop,” Lee Deok-hwa growled.

 

“Bong-bong,“ Chang-wook bounced in his chair. Everyone was dying with laughter.

 

“Chang-wook orabeoni,” her voice was serious and the room quieted to hear what she would say to the pouting man-child next to her. “Oppa, This is the time to act your age. Kim Nam-joon-ssi was very sweet earlier and…”

 

“You’ve never met him in your life! Ha. I was with you when we arrived. Hahahahahahaha… That won’t work,” Jang Hyuk-jin exposed Ji-hyun without any guilt.

 

"Aish. Why do you always spoil the fun,” she pouted.

 

The meal was delicious, and they kept taking pictures of each other and recounted what they had been up to over the last few weeks, months, and years. 

 

On the way out, Ji-hyun grabbed his sleeve.

 

“Ji Chang-wook-ssi. Thank you. I know that you organised this. Thank you.”

 

"You are happy then?” he asked. He boldly reached out and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

 

“Of course. Oppa had a meal with my friends,” she smiled up at him. He couldn’t resist bending down for a light kiss. 

 

“OH."

 

They looked up. Kim Tae-hyung was standing there.

 

“Tae-hyung-ah!” Ji-hyun stuttered. She put her hand to and stole a glance at Chang-wook. He straightened his shoulders and stared the younger man down. All it elicited was a wide grin on the idol’s face.

 

“Ji-hyun. I didn’t see anything. I promise. I won’t tell anyone either that I didn’t see anything,”  he winked and turned away whistling a little tune under his breath.

 

“What? Where do you…”

 

“Tae-hyung won’t say anything. He was my costar, remember? He knows what I will do to him if he even thinks about what he didn’t see.”

 

"Are you close?”

 

“Now Orabeoni… jealousy. Not a good look.”

 

“I’m not jealous…”

 

“Tae-hyung is a good friend. If you are going to behave like that then you shouldn’t watch my new drama.”

 

"I don’t think…”

 

"I am an actress. A multiple award-winning actress. A very happy with my job, not going to quit, actress. I will have to kiss men if I want to do my job properly. I do not want you worrying because there is nothing for you to worry about. See. I don’t get jealous of the actresses. Why should you…”

 

“I just want you to myself,” he pouted. The beer made him a little unreasonable about the handsome men she worked with.

 

“Oh Oppa,” Ji-hyun sighed. “We are going to need a safe word that you can say letting me know you are going to be…”

 

“Tell me you love me.”

 

“I love you.”

 

“Cured.”

 

He kissed her. It wasn’t his intention to kiss her. They were out in the open but the temptation was too great. And even though she ended the kiss, Ji-hyun didn’t seem to mind. 

 

“Let’s get out of here,” she grinned and dragged him down the hall. The rest of the cast had left, but BTS was still there. Tae-hyung called Ji-hyun over and bowed respectfully to Chang-wook as if he hadn’t seen them just a few minutes before. Chang-wook suddenly felt old and haggard around all of these pretty boys but he had to smirk. He might not be as pretty as them but he was taller and his shoulders were broader. Tae-hyung pulled him aside.

 

“Hyung. I can call you hyung, right? Take good care of Ji-hyun. I know you… you two are… that you have history. But she is amazing and you should cherish her.”

 

“Kid. If…“

 

“Nope. Don’t look at me. I’m innocent—Seo Kang-joon, however, but he has enlisted and is out of your reach,” Tae-hyung chuckled. He gave a sheepish smile. “I have met someone… Oh never mind… you wouldn’t know her.”

 

Ji-hyun and Chang-wook left the idols and got into the car waiting in the underground parking lot. He drove them to a secluded spot by the Han River. It was a place that not even secret celebrity couples visited as it wasn’t accessible by car unless you had a key to the gate… and only Chang-wook had the key. He’d bought the spot not long before he had enlisted. A quiet place to go with someone special by the most romantic river in the world.

 

They stayed in the car and held hands while looking over the river. They talked about everything. He explained his insecurities to her. About how he felt that being alone would protect him from being hurt like his Eomma was when his father passed away. How meeting her had changed that. There was a natural lull in their conversation before Chang-wook was struck by a thought.

 

“Ji-hyun-ah."

 

“Yes, Oppa.”

 

“Who does Kim Tae-hyung like?”

 

“You want to talk about that?”

 

“If… He said… I think he thought I might be jealous.”

 

“Oh? Really? Did he tell you he liked someone? Hahaha. It is cute. I didn’t think he would like that Eonnie but he does.”

 

“Who? Who? Who?” He picked up on her excitement.

 

"Eun-ji eonnie. From A-pink.”

 

“Oh, she has a lovely voice,” he said. But seeing her face he quickly amended. “You know I like your voice better.”

 

"You’re the best, Oppa. You tell the best lies.”

 

He pulled her into a hug. It was awkward in the car but just the idea that he could do it made a gear shift in the gut worth it. The spell was broken when her phone rang.

 

"Eomma! Yes! Heading back now. Yes. He… Yes Eomma. I’m sorry. I should… I… Yes eomma,” she looked up. "We have to go.”

 

"Aish. I guess having your own place doesn’t give you complete freedom.”

 

“Haven’t you figured that out? Your eomma doesn’t call to make sure you get home every night?”

 

“Yes, she does… What… Jiji. Would you mind if… if… in the future… if my eomma lived with us? She only has me…”

 

“Ji Chang-wook! No! I didn’t mean… You don’t need to leave your eomma. Plus I think your eomma would be very happy to live with us,” Ji-hyun blushed at the fact they were talking about living with his eomma. It seemed like a magical ending. Better than a drama.

 

“You really are amazing Jiji.”

 

“Have I ever told you how much I like it when you call me that?” she asked before kissing him. A message from her eomma to Chang-wook’s phone eventually forced them to leave.

 

He drove her to a taxi rank and watched her get into a car and drive off. His phone rang and he put it on speaker.

 

“Do you really think this is necessary?” she asked.

 

“I just want to continue hearing your voice and know that you are getting home safe.”

 

“Jang-i,” her voice was exasperated. “I think you…”

 

“Jang?” he asked confused.

 

“What would you like me to call you then?”

 

“Jang? Captain? Does that mean you will listen to me?”

 

“Or intestine? Hahaha… no captain, chief, general. Chief of my heart?” she whispered the last part so that the taxi driver couldn’t hear. “Jang-i? Do you like it?”

 

Chang-wook laughed.  Only Ji-hyun would come up with a ridiculous nickname like that for him. But he had to admit he liked it. Chief of her heart… Chang-wook smiled. 

 

—October 2020—

 

The next morning the CF campaign for 섹시/comfy was released with a lot of teasers and fanfare. That Chang-wook and Ji-hyun were the faces of the campaign was such a tightly guarded secret that the only people who knew had been those at the shoot that day.

 

Fans, however, were quick to guess who they were. 

 

“OMO! Is that Ji Chang-wook and Nam Ji-hyun?”

 

“I would know those hands anywhere.”

 

“Ji-hyun eonnie’s eyes! So pretty!”

 

The centrepiece of the campaign was titled “MUSE” and was released on the first of October, a week after the first teaser.

 

The banner was a tetrad of photographs of Chang-wook in his burgundy suit and Ji-hyun in her “dress”. The first one was of him looking composed and in command of the situation. Then Chang-wook and Ji-hyun in profile with her reaching up to touch his face. The third shot was of the two of them covered in splatters of paint laughing. The final photograph was just Ji-hyun in her dress looking polished in front of the camera giving a sultry smile looking completely at ease in her body.

 

Netizens were surprised by the direction of the shoot because the brand also released a short BTS of the shoot that showed Chang-wook scooping up Ji-hyun and twirling her—both of them covered in paint and laughing. 

 

“Oh they look so pretty”

 

“Love the visuals”

 

“I hope they are dating!”

 

“Oh, are they dating? They look so happy!”

 

“Oppa! Don’t date! You need to respect your fans”

 

“To everyone telling either NJH or JCW they can’t date… you are so desperate. Get a life. It is just a photo shoot.”

 

“I want Ji-hyun to work not date. She should focus on her career.”

 

“Ji-hyun and Chang-wook look so good together! Let’s support them”

 

“JIJI COUPLE!!! OUR SHIP HAS SAILED!”

 

“I KNEW IT! Omo. My ship sailed!”

 

--

 

Ji-hyun sat glued to her phone as she flicked through the comments. 

 

“Boss… you don’t think that we will need to say anything?” she asked.

 

“Why? Do you have something to tell me?”

 

“I should…”

 

“Very well. I’ll…”

 

“Not yet. I mean, it is only a month. I don’t want to jump…”

 

“Thank you for telling me Ji-hyun. I won’t say or do anything for now. I also expect that you will be very, very discrete.”

 

“YES! Very,” Ji-hyun practically shouted. She was protective of her newly restarted relationship and did not want them to be overwhelmed with public interest. As an actress, however, she should have known that there is always a plot twist in the middle of the third act…