Chapter 8

Platonic Love

 

 

It was Sunday morning. As planned, all 8 of them went to a picnic at han river. Nayeon and Jihyo arrived late because they lost the game so both of them had to bought a foods to feed everyone. Which Nayeon doesn't mind at all, for some reason she's thankful that it's jihyo and not the 'other girl'.

Nayeon walked to their picnic spot with jihyo follow behind, with both hands holding a bags of foods, then she saw Chaeyoung, sitting alone, leaned his back against tree as he peacefully reading a book.

Nayeon frowns at the sight. She hopes the younger guy will enjoy his free time with his friends. But lately, he's being more quiet than usual and always spending his time reading a thick book which she doesn't even know what the book is about, it's not like she wants to know it though. She just couldn't stand seeing this new side of him.

"Hye kid" Jihyo greet him and ruffled his hair. Jihyo always treated him like a little brother, even jeongyeon was jealous about that, he always asked her why she always treated chaeyoung like a baby but treated him like a trash, and of course jihyo always ignored the question, but as someone who knows both of them very well, despite their childish bickering, nayeon know that the two of them can't live without each other, their friendship is kind of even one of them is getting married they are still remains as bestfriend.

The chemistry between them are too strong, it makes nayeon jealous sometimes, she used to had someone like that before, someone that she can proudly called her 'bestfriend'.

"Why are you not joining them?" Jihyo asks chaeyoung while looking at dahyun, sana and momo, who were so happily playing the volleyball. The guy just frown at jihyo, then shakes his head in response.

Jihyo snorted at him as she starts to prepare the foods and shouted, calling everyone to come and eat but get ignored since they still want to play. Jihyo then gave them 5 minutes more.

"These kids" jihyo shakes her head as she continues arrange the food in front of her.

Nayeon smile as the wind blowed her hair peacefully, she sees the sun slowly appearing behind the clouds and she started to feels the sun warmth touch her skin, she missed it, it's been a long time since she went outing with her friends.

She let out a soft laugh as she watched Dahyun repeatedly getting kicked from sana and momo because he was cheated on the game. She then look at Chaeyoung and caught that inexplicable look in his eyes. His eyes were following something in the distance and when she followed her line of sight. She caught a glimpse of two familiar figures laughing and joking at the distance.

 

 

 

Chaeyoung watch Jeongyeon and mina laughing happily, he can't help but feel hurt. He can't deny he's still somewhat bitter about it and he still can't get over his own feeling towards mina. He tries to ignored the couple, turning to look away but he caught nayeon is staring at him, he curse mentally at his careless, he hopes Nayeon didn't notice that he just stared at his brother and mina for a minutes but from the reaction she gave to him, he knows the girl saw it, they just staring at each other, an awkward silence hung in the air as they both don't know what to say.

"Why are they still playing, I'm getting hungry!" A voice interrupts and automatically, chaeyoung looks down at his book again and clear his throat, silently thankful to jihyo for broke the awkward tension.

"I'll call them by myself then" jihyo impatiently said and leaves.

Chaeyoung continue reading his book again while nayeon boringly playing with the grass beneath her feet.

He noticed her bored-to-death expression but he just ignored it and began to reading the first chapter. He tried to focus on the words of the page but the sound of Jeongyeon and mina's laughter are just too distracting.

He then give up and close his book, he turned and sternly look at the couple before rolled his eyes, he begin to regret his decision, he shouldn't have come here, he then lay down his back on the mat.

"Are you done reading?" Nayeon asked. He just hummed in response and folded one arm under his head.

"I'm boring. Let's talk" 

"Not now" he lazily reply as he plug an earphones on both of his ears, nayeon let out an annoyed huff as she brought her knees to her chest and resting her chin on her knees.

Chaeyoung curiously looks at the sulking girl beside him, she looks a little sad and it makes he feels guilty. But he really doesn't wants to talk right now, he promises to himself that he will make it up to her next time.

he closed his eyes, letting himself drown with the music playing on his Ipod. But god is giving him a torture, when a sad music poured out from the earphone speaker, the music delivered nostalgic feeling, mostly pain because it reminds him of a certain someone. It reminds him of how they would video chat late into the night not minding if they had early morning classes, talking about random things until one of them fell asleep in front of the phones. Chaeyoung remember when everytimes he said he couldn't sleep, mina would voluntarily sang lullaby to him until he sleep peacefully, he wonder if she does the same treatment for jeongyeon whatever he can't sleep.

A tears slowly streaming on his face. Chaeyoung quickly shook his head coming back to reality, No! He can't let other people see him like this, He then cover his face with the book. He's gritting his teeth in frustration, unable to stop the tears from falling. He mentally cursed at the fact his mind can't stop thinking about mina even though the girl already has jeongyeon.

 

Suddenly he felt a strands of hair falling against his face messily. He open his eyes and got taken aback by a pair of beautiful eyes, their nose almost brushing each other. He didn't even realise since when the book oh his face was gone.

"Stay still" nayeon whispered he could smell the mint coming from her breath. She slowly wipes his wet cheek and smile softly at him.

Chaeyoung processed what's happening before he finally gathered up his thoughts and abruptly sat up, his forehead almost hitting Nayeon's chin. He looks around frantically, breathing a sigh of relief when he realised that no one seem to paying attention to the scandalous scene of him and nayeon early.

Nayeon looks at him for a seconds before taking her sunglasses off on top of her head and hand it to him.

Chaeyoung just stay still, still looked confused, and shocked on what just happened.

"Wear it, everyone can tell that you just cried by looking at how red you eyes are" Nayeon rolled her eyes, sounds sassy, likes always.

"I didn't cried!" chaeyoung lets out an annoyed grunts but still takes the sunglasses and wear it.

Nayeon snorted at him, she felt chaeyoung glared at her but she just ignored him, she then averting her eyes to the ground and letting out a soft sighs.

 

A short moment later everyone gathered and enjoyed the food except for chaeyoung who barely can eat, he's not sure if it because of he already had a breakfast or it because of the scene in front of him, seeing jeongyeon feeding mina a small bits of buttery croissant making his blood boil with jealousy but he knows he can't do anything about it.

"Let's play volleyball again after these" dahyun happily said.

"Okay, but I want team up with chaeyoungie, you at volleyball" sana complain, the pale guy felt so attacked, he glared at sana "look who's talking!"

"No. Chaeyoung can't play, he injured his shoulder few days ago" jeongyeon said firmly while eating a kimbab.

"You injured your shoulder?" Mina asked. Everyone could see she's worried. Chaeyoung was under shock but tried his best to not being too obvious, he nodded and reply "It's not that bad" 

"Tell them how did it happened" jeongyeon snickered which earned his punch on his arm by chaeyoung.

"How did it happened?" Jihyo asked.

Chaeyoung felt himself smaller as he felt many confused pairs of eyes on him especially from mina.

"I fell off my bike.." he muttered.

Then everyone burst out laughing even jihyo let out a small laugh, everyone laugh except mina.

"How cute" momo joke.

"Why did you fell? Your feet won't reach the pedal?" Dahyun said and laugh hysterically, jeongyeon who's beside dahyun give him a high five and laugh along.

Chaeyoung tried not to be bothered but he was clearly looking so pissed right now, he played with the red cup in his hand while staring down into it, suddenly an idea came to his mind, he smiles mischievously while glared at jeongyeon and dahyun, then he throws a whole cup of water on them.

Jeongyeon and dahyun froze in their position, feeling the cold drops of water trickle down their faces. Everyone stop laughing, shocked. But then chaeyoung laugh alone, mocking them before he runs away.

"Come here!" shouted jeongyeon and dahyun as they chasing after him.

Nayeon chuckles softly as she watch chaeyoung laughing and running for his life from the two angry men.

"It's been a long time since we've spent quality time together right?" Mina asked, making nayeon's smile faded away.

Nayeon looks down "Yeah..." 

"We used to hang out a lot, remember?"

"Of course, I'm remember" nayeon whispered, the tone of guilt and sorrow evident in her voice. She bits her lower lips hard when suddenly she had a flashback of her childhood.

Mina smile softly as she turned around and reached for her hand and grabbed it softly, caressing the back of nayeon's hand with her thumb.

"I miss you nayeon"

Nayeon furrowed her eyebrows, pulling her hand from mina and stands up, mina looks up with a confused look on her face. Nayeon looks away and folds her arms on her chest, biting the inside of her cheek.

"I want to take a walk, I'll be back" Nayeon said, still not able to fully look at the Japanese girl in the eye.

"Nayeon wait" mina called out but nayeon already left.

Mina let out a deep sigh, regretting to jump to the topic at the first place. She locks her eyes to the front, watching dahyun who is now laying on the grassy floor, breathing heavily from running while Jeongyeon headlock chaeyoung, causing the younger guy to whine. Mina can see the smirk on Chaeyoung's face before he suddenly overdramatically groans in pain while rubbing his shoulder. An unaware, Jeongyeon immediately released chaeyoung and asks him if he's okay when suddenly chaeyoung tackle jeongyeon to the ground and start running away again while laughing.

"I miss you"


*
*
*

 

 

After they finished eating, they all decided to play a volleyball. Jeongyeon, Mina and Jihyo in one team versus Dahyun, Sana and Momo team. Chaeyoung can't played since jeongyeon insisted while nayeon is nowhere to be found, everyone thought maybe she went to the toilet.

"Ouch!" Jeongyeon hisses and rubs his arm, because of the pain of Mina's slapped.

"Seriously, jeongyeon if you missed the ball again I will slap you again" mina's competitive side light up.

But jeongyeon just grins, sticking his tongue out teasing a mad girl. Mina gasp a bit and pinches jeongyeon's tummy making the guy beg for her apologize and then they both ended up laughing.


Chaeyoung unknowingly smiling at the scene. It's hurt but he thinks maybe it's time to letting go. Nayeon's right he can't blame mina for dating jeongyeon, she doesn't knows his true feelings. If he wants to blame someone then he should blame himself.

It's all his fault. He was a coward, he should have confessed early but he scared, he scared if he confessed he will lose their friendship, but now he lost her.

He knows it's hard to move on but he believes everything's gonna be alright. He hopes one day he will wakes up and all the pains he feels right now will be gone. 

One day.

He sits in front of the seashore, closed his eyes, feeling the calming sound of the waves and the sound of his friends' laughing at the back.

"I'm so pathetic" he said out of nowhere.

Then he felt someone sat up beside him, he slightly open his one eye and saw nayeon beside him, he smile in relief and closing his eyes again.

"Where were you going?" he tilted his head, his question left unanswered. But from the smell of smoke filling her clothes, he thinks he already got the answer.

Nayeon just watching the game or specifically watching the couple who are now bickering, Nayeon knows mina has always been a competitive person so it's not a surprising to see the calm girl shouted in frustration at her boyfriend for missed the ball again. Nayeon chuckles softly, it's been a long time since she saw this side of mina.

"Yes you are" she said without looking at him.

"Ehm?"

"You're pathetic"

Chaeyoung doesn't respond, he doesn't know what could be a right response, he'd rather stay smiling quietly, he's kind of expected that, that's what he likes about the girl, she always tell him the ugly truth, not the pretty lies. He slowly opens his eyes, meeting the bright light that soon dims, the weather wasn't hot or anything it was actually quite nice and cloudy with breezy wind blowing in, it makes him more calmer.

"I know" chaeyoung finally said and turned to face the girl.

Nayeon looks at chaeyoung and notices the sadness in his eyes, somehow it feels like she's looking at the mirror, she deep breath "We both are pathetic"

 

*
*
*

 

 

"Chaeyoung can you please go back and check to make sure that we did not left anything behind" jeongyeon said while shoving a folded mat into the boot of his car.

"Alright" chaeyoung said then run to their picnic spot and scanned around the place, making sure everything was clear, after feeling satisfied, he was ready to leave but then he saw mina, He turns around immediately, hoping he can escape before being see.

"Chaeyoung!"

He hissed, clearly heard her voices calling his name from behind but he ignored it and just walk away, suddenly he felt something hit his head.

"Ouch" chaeyoung groans, he stops and immediately looking down and saw a sandal that clearly belong to a certain girl, he turned to look at someone who dared to hitting his head.

"Did you just threw your sandal at me?" He exclaimed.

"That's what you got for ignoring me" mina snapped with a huff, crossing her arms over her chest in annoyance.

"Oh so it's my fault now?" Chaeyoung scoffs, he start getting irritated at the girl. She's the one who started ignored him for no reason and now she plays the victim and blamed everything on him.

"Did you got amnesia? who the one started it first?" he said with anger.

"That's what I want to say that.. I'm sorry. I really am." she said sincerely, she tried to drag herself to get closer but stop when she saw a painful expression plastered on his face.

"Why you treated me like that?" He said, this time his voice is slow, she can feels the pain in his voice. Suddenly she felt a pang of guilty hit her sharply. She admits she went too far by ignored the guy for a months.

"I thought we're bestfriend" he adds.

"We wer... Are"

"Then why you never treated me like a bestfriend"

Mina always shower chaeyoung with love and make chaeyoung believe that for mina, he is her everything. Maybe that's the reason why he still can't accept that she's already has someone. He felt betrayed.

Mina furrowed her eyebrows, she knows what's the guy meant, she doesn't need to asks the details.

"Is it my fault now? When you're the one-" mina stop and shut her eyes tightly to calm herself.

"Finish your sentence mina!" Chaeyoung said harshly.

"No it's nothing" mina said calmly it's kinda makes Chaeyoung frustrated and unsatisfied.

"When I'm the one what! Tell me!" Chaeyoung shouts, his browns are furrowing deeply, eyes staring at mina furiously.

"If I ever did something bad to you. Tell me! don't just ignored me and keep silent. I can't read your mind mina!"

"Stop it please" mina sounds so weak.

Chaeyoung bit his lip, suddenly he feels guilty for being harsh to her. The tears on mina's face makes him feel more worse than he already is.

"Please I don't want to lose you, you're my bestfriend" she said with sobbing, wiping her tears with her long sleeve,  she then looks up to stare at his face.

"Can we go back to our old times" she said, more like begging.

'It's not that easy mina. Not when I'm trying to move on from you' he thought to reply but caught his tongue.

Chaeyoug sighs as he picked up mina's sandal and approach the girl, kneeling in front of her and put her bare foot on his lap, mina was caught off guard by the action, but she just let him be. In fact this is not the first time the younger showed her sweet gesture, this is one of the reason why she liked about him. Mina could only stay silent as she just watch the guy gently brushes the sand off her feet before strapped the sandal to her feet.

"I'm sorry.... but" chaeyoung started, his voice low, almost a whisper. He looks hesitate for a moment before look at mina with sad eyes, he didn't even tried to hide it and the next words came out his mouth just leave her breathless.

"Let's just... Don't talk anymore"

 

*********Awesome9*********


First of all sorry for the late update. You know, a lot of things happened for the past few weeks and I couldn't focused on writing. I really hope I can finish it faster before I finally get a job (I'm jobless now)

Lastly, the next chapter I'll write about jeongyeon's point of view and everything will be revealed in chapter 9,10 and 11 (I know I said it's supposed to be chapter 8, 9 and 10 but hye I'm just a human and human lied.). Everything will be revealed, the reason why jeongyeon and nayeon broke up, why mina's so mad at Chaeyoung, why she accepted jeongyeon's confession, what happened to Nayeon and mina friendship and etc. So stay tuned and please leave a comment. Bye see you again