Chapter 6

Platonic Love

 

 

 

Chaeyoung never in love before, mina is the first one, she is his first love.

Chaeyoung always knew that he's dense when it comes to certain thing, or more accurately, about love. He doesn't even know if the girl is flirting with him except sana because she was obvious. 

Dahyun always said that he is stupid for not realize that mina is into him. Sometimes he wonders if the girl shares the same feeling as him.

It's kind of obvious that the girl treated him differently, the way she looked at him like he was the only one that mattered, the way she gets jealous easily. Does she likes him too?

If chaeyoung is a blunt person, he could have just asked her if she likes him or not. But he is not like that.

 

Chaeyoung dry his hair with a towel before sit on his bed. The two of them had just meet 5 hours ago but he was already missing the girl badly.

He grabs his phone and dial mina's number.

 

"Hello" The girl answer on the second ring.

 

"Mina" he calls tiredly.

 

"Ehmm" her voice is so soft and sweet it could makes he fall asleep.

 

"Mina.." he calls again.

 

"Yes Chaengie..." mina answered so gently. Chaeyoung close his eyes, lying his head on the soft pillow.

 

"Is this a prank call Chaeyoung?" Mina asks and laughs. He unknowingly smile for making her laughs.

 

"Are you not going to sleep?" She asked again after sometime.

 

"It's too early" Chaeyoung said as he looking at the ceiling.

 

"Okay... You want to talk about something?" She asked as she knows there is something bothering  him.


Chaeyoung hesitate at first but it would kill him if he didn't asks "What do you think about me?" 

Chaeyoung could hear she's laughing so softly and reply.

 

"You're special"

 

He flustered in embarrassment before shaking his head and cough, clearing his throat. He can't lose he needs to be more cool and manly.

 

"Special? Am I special to you?" Chaeyoung asked, his voices serious.

 

"Ye..yeah" her voice sounds hesitantly.

 

Chaeyoung close his eyes and bit his lower lips, having a mental debate with himself wether he should asks her or not.


' it'


"What am I to you?" He finally asked.


Silence.


Chaeyoung immediately regretted it, he doesn't wants to pressured the girl, they only know eachother for 5 months. Maybe he is the one who misunderstand everything. He was about to said something but mina cut him off with her soft voice.


"You're my bestfriend" 

 

Chaeyoung would lie if he said he hadn't expected it. But it still hurt him.

 

"Yeah of course" Chaeyoung laughs but mina was silent.

 

"Goodnight mina" Chaeyoung whispered.

 

There was a brief of silence.

 

"Goodnight... Chaeyoung" mina finally answer.

 

 

***

 


Chaeyoung looks out the window, passing by the many buildings as they got smaller and smaller. Jeongyeon glanced at Chaeyoung once in a while. They're heading to school.

"You really changed a lot" Jeongyeon started, his eyes firmly fixed on the road.

"Dahyun said the same thing too" Chaeyoung leaned his head against the window.

Jeongyeon glanced at Chaeyoung and smile a little "well because that's true"

"Am I?" Chaeyoung turned his head, now facing the side of Jeongyeon.

"Well you're completely unrecognizable" Jeongyeon chuckles and give him a teasing smile.

"Is it a good thing or a bad thing?" Chaeyoung asks, making Jeongyeon smile fondly.

"Of course it's a good thing. You're changed not just physically but your personality as well. You've become more confident now and you started to made more friends" Jeongyeon said.

"You even made friend with nayeon" Jeongyeon continue, the tone of his voice was flat but his face was amused.

"What's so weird about it, she is friend of you too" Chaeyoung pouted.

"I known her more than anyone else trust me. And I never see nayeon treated her guys friends like how she treats you" Jeongyeon said as he frown slightly.

Jeongyeon and nayeon's friendship is the most complicated thing that chaeyoung will never understand. Before they broke up chaeyoung heard they had a big fighted, a really big fighted but after a few days they became a really close friend and acting like nothing happens, acting like they never had dated before. Nobody knows the reason why they broke up, they never tell anyone. Chaeyoung remember momo once told him that maybe they're not in love in the first place because who the hell stay close friend with their ex. Chaeyoung disagree with that because sometimes chaeyoung caught they were looking at each other with longing in their eyes.

Chaeyoung just stayed quiet. When Chaeyoung didn't speak,  Jeongyeon took this chances to continue his words.

"Everyone knows nayeon hates skinship a lot. She hates it when people touch her especially guys. But she has always been really touchy with you" 

Jeongyeon takes the red light as an opportunity to look at Chaeyoung and asked "You and her are not a thing right?" He raised his eyebrows waiting for answer.

"What?! of course not. You should see how she treated me when there is no one around. She treat me like how the stepmother treated Cinderella" Chaeyoung exclaimed in suprised, didn't expect the question. Jeongyeon can't help but laugh at his younger brother.


"Then how about you and mina?" Jeongyeon asked, this time his voice is soft yet full of doubt and wonder, it was a voice of desperation.

Chaeyoung looks at Jeongyeon in confusion. Not sure if he confused with the question or with Jeongyeon's voice.

"You two are so close, sometimes you guys look like couple" Jeongyeon whispered the last sentence.

"We're just friend" Chaeyoung replied, looking out the window again.

"Are you sure you guys are just friend?" Jeongyeon asked unsurely.

Chaeyoung thinking for the answer about a few seconds, then he remembers the conversation he had with mina last night.

'you're my bestfriend'

Then he clears his throat "yeah" he replied. That's what mina wants he to be. Bestfriend, just her bestfriend.

Jeongyeon doesn't bother to asks further and just  continue driving. The rest of the drive passed by silence.

 


***

 


Chaeyoung was on his way to the locker then he spotted mina, who just came out from the music room, she looked so sad. As he come closer. She just stood there looking at the floor. She suddenly looks up and made eyes contact with Chaeyoung. The sad expression she had before turned into an angry. The looked on her face was scary and she looked furious.

Chaeyoung doesn't know how to handle a girl since he never had a girl friends before but he didn't has to be genius to know she was in a bad mood. 

"Hye, are you alright?" chaeyoung grabs her hand, she flinched a bit and removed the hand harshly before giving him a cold glared that sent chills down his spine, she quickly turn away and run to the exit, leaving chaeyoung alone, confused.

Chaeyoung was still looking very shock, unable to move or even breath. He never seeing mina this angry before. He remembered when sana told him that mina is scary when she's mad and he just laughed at sana, couldn't imagine how a soft person like mina can look scary. But now, he really agree with sana. Mina really looks scary when she's mad. He wonders who pushed the button.

He debate with himself wether or not he should run after her. But he knew better than add fuel to to the fire so he just decided to let her be. Maybe all she needed right now was her space so she could calm down.

 

That's what he thought..

 

 

 


Day and day had passes, and chaeyoung and mina's closeness became dry. Mina still ignored chaeyoung's existence. Chaeyoung tried to talk to the girl but she always said she's busy. He called and texted her but she ignored all of them so he stopped trying.


It's been a week since they last had a casual conversation and Chaeyoung truly misses mina. He hopes the girl feels the same.

"Nayeon" Chaeyoung calls for her attention.

"Hmm" she hums in reply.

"I think mina is trying to avoid me" Chaeyoung grumbled.

She looks at Chaeyoung for a moment before  turned off treadmill machine and stepping off, Chaeyoung doing the same and sit on the flat bench.

"You think so?" She asked, handing chaeyoung a water bottle.

"Yeah. She's not picking up my calls or replying to any my messages" he sigh, a sad look crossed over his face. He lifts his eyes to take a look at the silent girl.

Nayeon looks uneasy, nervously and anxieties clearly appear on her face. And she couldn't hide it from Chaeyoung.

"Are you okay?" Asked Chaeyoung who began to look worried.

"Oh nothing" nayeon muttered while looking at the ground.

"Stop working out and get some rest. You look tired" Chaeyoung smile warmly. Nayeon said nothing and just stare at Chaeyoung's body blankly.


"Stop looking at my chest!" He gasped and dramatically placed a hands over his chest.

"Well I didn't say anything when you're staring at my when I did squats!" Nayeon slapped Chaeyoung's stomach with her towel.

Chaeyoung start laughing, nayeon find his laughs is amusing and couldn't help but to laugh along.

Few minutes passed and the gym room filled with silence. Nayeon turn to face him and maybe tell him the truth because seeing the guy so broken awhile ago she just can't stand it.

"Chaeyoung"

Chaeyoung looks at nayeon with his puzzled face and asks "Yeah?"

She caught a glimpse of him, pure smile plastered on his face , she can feels her heart start to aches and no one can describe how guilty she is right now. How she wished she could turn back time.

She drop her head and shake her head.

She knows she is stupid and will regret it later if she doesn't tell him right now but she just can't, not now, maybe someday, maybe.

"Nothing" she muttered.

He watches her silently, wondering why the girl beside him acting a bit odd today but he just brush the thought.

"Thank you. I had a lot of fun with you today"  He said softly, looks over his shoulder and their eyes met. He waits for her disgust expression but surprisingly, She smiles at him.

Chaeyoung and Nayeon have a very odd love-hate relationship with each other. They never expressed their emotion and they never said anything sweet to each other like how chaeyoung and mina always did. 

But that's not what bothered him the most. It's nayeon. He can't help but notice that there is sadness in her eyes. He wonders what's wrong with her.

 

 

***

 


"Are you mad at me? did I do something wrong?" Chaeyoung started to lost his patience.

He can't hold it anymore. It's hurt him so much that the girl keep ignoring him without a reason. He tries to grab her hand but she pulls it away before he can. 

"No you did nothing Chaeyoung and I'm not mad at you" mina tried to sound calm but chaeyoung didn't buy it.

"Then why are you ignoring me?" 

"I'm not ignoring you, I'm just busy"

"But you didn't picked-"

"Can you stop?" Mina cut him off. She looks away and bit her lower lips.

"I'm busy right now and you just wasted my time by keep talking about these useless things" mina said harshly, glaring at him with hatred shows perfectly in her eyes making Chaeyoung frown deeper.

"If you don't have any important thing to discuss then please excuse me" mina said and leave without waiting for his reply.

Chaeyoung stood frozen. He was speechless. He was wondering what did he ever do to being treated like this especially from the person he treasure the most.

 

 

***

 

 

"Jeongyeon, stop playing your phone and eat your food" his dad said with a serious tone.

"Sorry" jeongyeon put his phone down and eating his spaghetti.

Unbothered chaeyoung just silently eating his food and quite displeased to see a glass of milk was being served at him. Spaghetti with milk? That's the worst combination ever! He thought to himself.

The three of them were inside a restaurant eating dinner together since their father was too lazy to cook again.

"Chaeyoung drink your milk it can helps you grow taller and stronger" their dad said, tried cracking a joke. 

The younger just forces a smile. Normally he would whine or protest at his dad but now he isn't in mood, not after the argument he had with mina this morning.

Silence.

Jeongyeon stare at chaeyoung in front of him judging by his expression, he didn't looks very happy.

"Are you alright?" Jeongyeon asked chaeyoung.

"Shhhh he has a relationship problems. You will never know since you don't have a girlfriend" his dad said sarcastically ,jeongyeon just frown.

"I don't have a girlfriend dad" chaeyoung huff.

"But jeongyeon said you have a girlfriend"

"What?" Chaeyoung glares at jeongyeon.

"The girl you drawn in your sketchbook" jeongyeon said and slightly shrugs.

"She's not my girlfriend!" Chaeyoung growl.

He can heard his dad sigh and shakes his head in disappointment.

"You two got the good looking genes from me and yet both of you are singles. What an useless!" His dad said making both jeongyeon and chaeyoung rolled their eyes.

But then the next words came out from jeongyeon's mouth made chaeyoung and his father speechless.

"Who said I'm single?"

 

 


***

 

Everyone can sensed there is something off with Mina and Chaeyoung. Mina didn't greet Chaeyoung like always and she didn't talk with Chaeyoung at all. 

Chaeyoung just kept his cool and acted normal. But what bother him the most is the fact that mina is okay with everyone but him. Somehow he felt like he was the reason why mina is mad but he tried no to assume it.

Chaeyoung averted his attention to the giggling mina and frowned his browns. He didn't know what jeongyeon told her that made she smile so brightly, it feels strangely weird that he glad to see mina is happy but at the same time sad that he's not the reason behind her happiness.

Mina suddenly looks up and caught chaeyoung's staring at her. Chaeyoung smile lightly at her but mina just ignored him and jerk her eyes away.

'Okay that's embarrassing' chaeyoung thought and looked down.

Well maybe he did something bad at her. He ruffled his hair in frustration trying to remember what could he have done that could possibly made her this upset at him. But he remembered absolutely nothing.

A looks of disappointment visible on Chaeyoung's face, sana who takes notices of his expression, smirk naughtily.

"You know you looks cute when you're frown" 

Chaeyoung looks up and meet sana's eyes. He just smile before continue playing with his food.  He shifted his sight to see nayeon, he suddenly realised that the older girl was quiet today, not just nayeon but jihyo too, sometime he caught jihyo gave nayeon a unreadable gaze. He wonders if they have a fight before.

"Stop bothering him sana. He has someone already" jeongyeon blurted out, almost too loud and grabbed everyone's attention.

"What a waste. You're my type" sana pouts a little.

"Oh really I don't know that you got a girlfriend" momo teased and saw the red tint forming on the latter's face, momo giggles at the boy who currently looked so cute.

"No is not like that. It's just a crush ok" chaeyoung defended and jeongyeon wiggled his eyebrows playfully when he made an eye contact with the younger.

Chaeyoung immediately regretted it. Great now everyone know he has a crush.

Chaeyoung feels pressured with everyone's eyes oh him, especially mina's, he looks away and immediately cringed when he heard the next words jeongyeon said.

"And guess what... it's his first love"

"Awwwww" 

"Stop it jeong!" Chaeyoung angrily pouted and jeongyeon laughed at his reaction.

"Come on bro tell them who is it" jeongyeon nudge his arm and playfully demanded to get an answer from the boy. 

"Not until you tell me who your girlfriend is" chaeyoung dared his brother. Jeongyeon just chuckles. 

"Wait you don't tell him yet? What kind of brother are you" sana scoffed.

"Wait.. so everyone knew?" Chaeyoung asked in disbelief.

"Of course" momo answer. Chaeyoung frown his eyebrows, feeling betrayed.

He turned to nayeon giving her a 'you too?' look but nayeon just stay quiet and Chaeyoung can see the older girl looks uneasy and nervous. Chaeyoung was about to ask the girl if she's okay when suddenly someone grab his shoulder.

"Ok if I tell you who my girlfriend is will you show me your sketchbook?" Jeongyeon ask.

"Depends" Chaeyoung shrugs. Of course he lied. He would never let anyone see his sketchbook well maybe except his brother. Because He trust his brother.

"Try to find her chaeng. She is here"

 

Chaeyoung frown. She is here? so jeongyeon is dating with one of his friend. How could he didn't realise it. He looks around until his eyes landed on jihyo.


"Jihyo?" Chaeyoung asked curiously received a laughed from everyone.

"Ewwww" both jeongyeon and jihyo said at the same time.

It's definitely not sana or momo and of course it's not nayeon. 

 

"Stop joking around babe"

Chaeyoung froze when he heard a soft voice right behind him, the voice that he's always love, he doesn't needs to see who is it, he knows damn too well who's belong to that voice.

No no no please no it can't be her.

Jeongyeon's eyes twitched breaking their eye contact and looked at that person. Chaeyoung watched the way his brother smile and he knows that his brother is so in love with that person.

"Yeah.. mina is my girlfriend" 

Chaeyoung swore he could hear his own heart breaking.

 

 

*********Awesome9*********

 

So what do you think the reason why mina is so mad at chaeyoung?

Did he did something bad at her? 

And why was nayeon looks so guilty towards chaeyoung? Is it because she knew about jeongyeon and mina? or about anything else?
 

But the way finally jeongmi is here everyone!! Where are my jeongmi babies at?