Chapter 10 (Mina)

Platonic Love

 

 

Flashback


The first time Mina met Nayeon was in a kindergarten, Mina was alone playing with Lego, as someone who just came korea 4 months ago, Mina can't speak korean so well that's why nobody wanted to played with her. Until an energetic girl with bunny teeth approach her and timidly asked her if she could played together. At first Mina wanted to refused, because she knew who the girl was, she is Im Nayeon the rich girl, her Family is so powerful that it can break you in pieces with just one blow. Mina don't want to risk it but when she saw the desperate glint in Nayeon's eyes, she doesn't have a heart to say No.

Since then they became close like family,  Nayeon was actually cheerful and optimistic kid, she loves making friends, even though she knew everyone didn't like to get close with her because of her family background but she was always positive and looks for the good things in a situation.

But as Nayeon grows older her smile seemed to fade away. She always quiet and giving other people her icy stare. She's not scared to do anything since she started to knowing the benefits of her family's power. She could just cheated on test and all the teachers wouldn't do anything about it because they scared they will lose their job.

Back to Middle School day when Mina still 12 year and Nayeon was 13 year. There were two boys came to Mina and shouted 'go back to your country' if Mina was alone that day, maybe she would just ignored the boys and let it go but she wasn't alone, Nayeon was there with her. Nayeon then threw a thick book at the boys, the book perfectly landed on one of the boy's face untill he fell down on the ground.

"Say that again and I will ruin your whole family" Nayeon exclaimed with sharp and fierce eyes while looking at them. The two boys just gulp while looking at the ground, didn't dare look straight to her in the eye.

That was the first time since they met, Mina felt intimidated by Nayeon. 

When Mina was 14 year old she had to transfer to Japan back because of her family matter. Nayeon was the saddest person when she found out about the news. She didn't talked to Mina for five days until Mina promised her she will come back again. And mina fulfilled the promise. After 3 years Mina come back to Korea.

 

*

*

*

 

"Hey jihyo, do you know where's nayeon right now?"

Jihyo looks at the girl from head to toe, but not in a rude way. Mina known jihyo for a while, since her first week in school to be exact. But jihyo is more of an acquaintance, than a friend for mina.

Jihyo is currently 18 years old (same with nayeon and jeongyeon) and she is the new student council President, is very respected person and admired by many students. If nayeon is the troublemaker in school then jihyo is the peacemaker. It makes Mina wonders sometimes, how can nayeon and jihyo can be close.

"I'm just wondering, if she's already have lunch because she's always been missing during lunch time" mina continue, she doesn't wait for the older girl to respond.

Jihyo finally let out a tired sigh before she replies "Trust me, you don't want to know"

Mina was bewildered of what could that be that the older girl meant. Jihyo looked up and she saw a confused and curious look on the girl face, it's making jihyo so weak and softer than she already is. Even though, Jihyo doesn't know mina that well yet but she already has a soft spot for the Japanese girl.

"Don't worry I will buy her food and she will eat it during our class, like always" jihyo said and smile assuringly.

Mina just nod and give her a small smile. Jihyo then turn on her back, ready to leave when she felt a touch on her shoulder, she looked up and saw mina staring back at her with hesitant eyes.

"I still want to know where is she"

"I really don't want you to go there... But if you really want to know where's she right now.." jihyo bites her lower lips, her mind is battling whether to tell mina about this or not, thought she is quite sure that nayeon will be not pleased with the idea of telling mina about her little secret. 

"Go find her at the men's bathroom"

"Eh?"

 


Men bathroom.

Mina wonders why would nayeon is spending her time at men's bathroom. She had to admits Nayeon could be greasy and unpredictable sometimes but hanging out in the bathroom and worse it's Men's bathroom is the whole another level and it would be lie if mina said she wasn't anxious with the news. Even though, she knows nayeon is stronger and tougher than her but she always has a protective feeling over the older girl. Maybe it's her natural instinct since nayeon always caused trouble.

Mina sighs for the nth times, she is now standing in front of the men's bathroom door, considering whether she should enter or not. She took a deep breath as her hand slowly reaching the doorknob, but she hesitates to turns it. Why?

Okay first, it's Men's bathroom what if someone caught her sneaking inside the Men's bathroom? That will make her look like a ert. She doesn't want people call her ert! It will ruin her freshman year. And lastly what if.... WAIT!

'Wait! what if jihyo was just messed up with me
 and it was all just a prank? But jihyo doesn't seem like that kind of person to play that kind of joke and why would she wants to prank me, we are not even that close.' Mina was too focused on battling with her mind for only God knows how long, that she didn't realised that two girls are watching her right now in silence.

"Are you going in or not?" One of the girl said making mina snap her out of her thought and jolt in suprised. Mina looks up and saw a bright orange hair girl looks at her in annoyance.

"Ehmm?" mina raised her eyebrows in confusion.

The orange hair girl sighed annoyingly before she crossed her arms across her chest and continue stare at Mina with a cold gaze. "Are you going in or not?"

There's a slight impatient edge to her voice which makes mina gulps in fear.

"Take it easy Rosé" the girl with straight blonde and very thick bang said to Rosé.

Mina finally knocked some sense into her own head, she immediately taking her hand off from the doorknob and step back

"Go in? In men's bathroom? Me? Of course not!" Mina said as she was wrongly accused.

The two girls were dumbfounded and look at eachother in confusion but they just shrug it off.

"Good. Move out of the way then" Rosé said and rolled her eyes. She shoved mina away and knock the door. Mina just look at the two girls with wide open.

'why are they knocking the men's bathroom?' 
- Mina

"Who's that?" A man's voice came from the door.

"Rosé and Lisa" 

Mina jumps a bit as she heard a click sound of the door being opened and there, a man appeared with his head popping out from the door, he looks at the two girls and nods.

"Come in faster" the man said and opened the door wider as he gestured the two girls to come in.

"Thanks jimin" the girls said as they walked in

Jimin was about to close the door but stops when he saw another girl outside, he frowned his eyebrows.

"Ahhhh... Who are you?" he asked mina. He scrunched up his face, trying to remember if he know the girl. Suddenly a voice from distance could be heard in the hallway which make jimin and mina look up to the voice and they saw Professor Choi, one of the most despised teacher in this school because of his very strict personality. Jimin's face then filled with fear as he gulped in fear

"Never mind. Just come in" he said shakily as he drags mina inside the bathroom and close the door immediately.

Mina cough as soon she enters the bathroom, thick smoke filled the air, causing the room to appear darker than normal. She rubbed her burning eyes and looked around where she can see students smoking, some of them are making out and some were just simply hanging.

Her mind is blank, still trying to process what just happened, then she remembered the real reason why she had to came in the bathroom in the first place. She abruptly looks around again, but there was still no sign of Nayeon, she was already panicked inside and feel uncomfortable, her asthma is just making it worse. She runs towards the door to leave, she was about to open it when someone block the door with his whole body.

"What are you trying to do? Are you crazy? Professor Choi is outside! If he finds out about us then we can get expelled from school" Jimin said frustratingly.

"Expelled? Are you guys smoking weed or what?" Mina said sarcastically. She just said that for fun but she didn't expected it was the true.

"Yeah, some of us" Jimin shrugs and rolled his eyes.

Mina gasp a bit, how can they smoke weed in school and worse if they get caught they not just can get expelled from school but they can put into the jail. Mina was about to say something when suddenly someone poke her shoulder, she turned and saw a pretty black haired girl, looking at her with a gummy smile.

"Hey, I never saw you before what's your name" she asked. Mina was hesitant to reply at first but she answered it anyway to be polite.

"I'm Mina"

"Are you a freshman?" She asked, raised one of her eyebrows and mina just timidly nod her head.

"Do you know that freshman are not allowed to enter this bathroom" her voice is now fierce. Mina felt so small under that gaze. The girl has a resting face that makes mina shakes in fear. Mina swear she will kill jihyo after this for lying that nayeon was in Men's bathroom.

Then suddenly the girl giggles and smile "it's okay. As long you're not telling anyone about this then you're safe" she said and lightly touch a tip of mina's nose softly. Mina scrunched her nose a bit.

"Your new girlfriend is cute" She said to Jimin making he shrugs in reply as he pats his own shoulder proudly, doesn't even bother to deny it. Mina just look at the guy in disbelief.

"I'm not her girlfriend" Mina huffed. But too bad the girl couldn't heard her voice.

"Btw I'm Jennie" the girl said and give her one last smile before walking away.

At that moment, mina saw nayeon sitting on a window sill seat, her knees perched up as she stared blankly out of the window.

Mina smile in relief, she walks towards the older girl but stops when she saw Jennie is sitting opposite of Nayeon. Then she saw Jennie pulled the pack of cigarettes out of her pocket and placed one in between Nayeon's lips. Mina's once sparkle eyes turn into disappointment. She never knew that Nayeon smoked. 

 

Nayeon was about to light a cigarette when suddenly someone snatched it away. She annoyingly turned around, ready to throw a hand to a rude intruder. But she instead got taken aback by an angry gaze from Mina.

"What are you doing here?" Nayeon asked, shocked.

Mina ignored the older's question. She looks at the cigarette that she just took away from nayeon and smashing it between her fingers before threw it into the garbage bin.

She then threw an angry gaze to Nayeon, her eyes were piercing and it can kill anyone if looks could actually kill. Even Jennie who seat in front of Nayeon is shocking by Mina, she never expected that Mina who looks like a timid little kitten can turn into a dangerous cheetah. 

"I don't know that you're smoking" Mina said and crossing her arms, she clearly looks so pissed off right now. But Nayeon remains unbothered, she knew mina is mad, it's not surprising at all, the younger girl would even gets angry when Nayeon skip her meals, how much more if she found out that Nayeon is smoking.

"It's none of your business" Nayeon said coldly making Mina fuming inside.

Mina and Nayeon keep exchanging a gaze while there are a dozen pairs of eyes watching them, Mina can heard a murmur and whisper around her but she doesn't mind them.

"None of my business? Should I tell your dad about this?"

"Tell him then" Nayeon dares her, she sounded relax like it doesn't bother her one bit.

Mina opened but nothing comes out and she just closed it immediately. She forgot Nayeon has a bad relationship with her dad.

"Do you think he cares?" Nayeon scoffed, but Mina could still heard a hint of sadness in her voice, it makes mina freezes a bit and a pang of guilty hits her, she blames herself for not being thoughtful.

But mina still doesn't want to lose so she use her last resort, knowing this person is the most important person in the world to Nayeon.

"How about your mom?" Mina said which may have not been the best idea.

The room suddenly turns dead silent, all eyes  staring at Mina shockingly. How could she said that, no one dare to talk about Nayeon's mom because...

Then Nayeon suddenly chuckles and ask "My mom?"

"What can she do about that?" Nayeon asked as she stand up and walk towards Mina. 

"Nayeon" Jennie fastly grabs Nayeon's wrist to stop her from come any closer to Mina but Nayeon yanked her hand off Jennie's hold.

Their faces are now so close, to the point mina can feel Nayeon's breath fanning her face, Mina was so shocked and try to step back but her body was frozen. This is the first time Mina saw Nayeon was so angry at her and she didn't even know what she did to made her this angry. She's honestly very scared, but she knows Nayeon would never hurt her 

and she's right.

Nayeon's fierce face suddenly turn into despair and sadness before she finally say "She's dead, mina"

Those words that came out of Nayeon's mouth made mina speechless, she could not think of anything, she's feel so horrible and terrible, how can she didn't know about this.

"I.. I di..didn't know.. I'm sorry"

Mina almost wrapped her hands around Nayeon when she saw her glassy eyes.

"Of course you didn't know, she died a week after you went to Japan" Nayeon said and passing her, leaving the dumbfounded Mina behind.

Mina wants to run to nayeon, hug her and say 'I'm sorry' but her feet were somewhat magically glued on the floor that she couldn't move a bit.

That would explain why Nayeon never replied her messages, ignoring her call, email and everything when Mina was in Japan. She thought the older girl was still mad at her because she left korea so she just let her be. If she knew Nayeon was miserable because of her mother's death then she would flew to korea to confront her.

Mina still standing there for a couple of a minutes, untill she realised everyone are still looking at her, she hates being the center of attention but her mind is still in chaos to care about that. She just stay silent until Jennie approaches her and say "Don't go too hard on her. She suffered enough" as she pats Mina's shoulder softly and smile before leaving to find Nayeon.

Mina start walking, leaving the bathroom while ignoring all the gazes that were thrown on her. She doesn't care anymore, she doesn't care if people want to judges her, she admits she is a bad friend. 

Since that day, Mina and Nayeon became more awkward than it already was, but that won't stop  mina for caring about the older girl, Mina would make sure that Nayeon didn't skip her lunch again and she always nagged Nayeon whenever she found out the older girl was smoking again. Mina always been patience with Nayeon despite the older girl would always said some harsh words to her and even gave her a cold shoulder sometimes.

One day, Momo her classmate asked her why she's so generous to Nayeon even though the latter always treated her badly, Mina refused to admit and just denied everything but Momo was not convinced. Minutes after their little argument, Mina finally gave in and told her everything.

"I still think that you don't deserve that bad treatment from her" Momo said making Mina let out a sad smile.

"I'm okay Momo, don't worry. I just don't want to leave her.... Again."

 


After Mina rejected Jeongyeon's confession, they became so close, Mina started to hang out with him more, sometimes they would went to café to study together since Jeongyeon said he likes to study with Mina because she is a good teacher. Mina can't deny she enjoy Jeongyeon's company, he's fun to be around and can be really dorky at times. Even though he can be fun and silly sometimes but he can be charismatic and serious when he needs too. She admired the guy for that.

One day Nayeon suddenly called Mina to hang out with her, mina almost screamed in happiness but she held her back and just faked a cough before answered "Fine, see you in 30 minutes" with her plain voice. She feels so happy that Nayeon has finally opened up to her, although Mina knows that maybe this isn't much for Nayeon but it means the world for mina. Mina really hopes that they get back again like how they used to.

They spent an hours for shopping and went around the mall, it was awkward at first but Nayeon manage to change the atmosphere and made it fun and sometimes Mina even can laugh at Nayeon's jokes, she almost forgot that Nayeon can be funny sometimes. Mina could see the effort Nayeon was putting in to talk with her, and it somehow makes her heart feel a bit lighter. 

After their shopping spree, they agreed to have dinner together at a restaurant nearby. Everything was perfectly fine until Nayeon decided to ruined everything by talking about Jeongyeon.

"Why you rejected Jeongyeon? I thought He is your type"

"I never said he is my type" Mina exclaimed, trying to defend herself.

Nayeon laughs, sounds more like mocking.

"Oh come on.. he is older than you, he is cool, responsible man and manly. He is totally your type" Nayeon said, using her fork to played with the remaining pasta on her plate.

"No. And I don't like him that way"

Nayeon chuckles "Why? Because he was my ex?"

"No.. of course.. not"

Mina bites her lips, her face shows an uneasy expression. Nayeon saw it but she doesn't mind and still tries to push Mina again.

"Then why?

Mina sigh, starting to feel annoyed "I just don't like him that's all"

"Then what if you happen to like him?"

Mina almost rolled her eyes, she just want to enjoy her dinner in peace but Nayeon wouldn't let her with her non-stop questions.

"That's not gonna happen" Mina said assuringly.

Nayeon smirks "Why you so sure about that?"

Mina looks up, stares at Nayeon's eyes deeply "Because you still like him" she said and instantly regretted it.

Nayeon's smile suddenly disappeared and replaced with a bitter one, she staring furiously at Mina.

"Is that why you rejected him? You rejected him because you thought I still like him?" Nayeon said mockingly.

"It's not like that!"

"If I really like him that much, I would just snap my fingers and he will come running back to me, everyone know he still likes me" Nayeon said and she's not wrong about it. Everyone know Jeongyeon still loves Nayeon, the guy didn't even tries to hide it.

Mina sighs "So do you"

"Don't acting like you know me well" Nayeon scoffed, crossed her arms against her chest, her eyes pining her friend with glare.

That's it. Mina was now losing her calmness. Nayeon smile excitedly as she watched Mina's soft face change to her resting face. Finally Mina lost her patience.

"Then say that I'm wrong" Mina said coldly.

Nayeon chuckled sarcastically before her eyes glared sharply into Mina's eyes.

"You're wrong" 

Mina smirk and chuckles "keep denying it. But your 'eyes' told me everything you didn't want me to know, Nayeon" she smile victoriously as she saw Nayeon turn speechless and her body frozed

Nayeon hates it, she hates is that Mina always can read her like an open book.

"He still loves you and I know you still loves him too. Stop hurting yourself Nayeon" Mina said, her voice was softer now.

Nayeon snorts "Don't acting like you care about my feeling when you're not"

"I care about you nayeon, you know that. You're my best friend" Mina sighed, furrowing her eyebrows as she see Nayeon frown.

"Don't call yourself a best friend when you left me when I needed you the most. I don't need a bestfriend like you" Nayeon spat angrily.

Mina freezing.

Nayeon then stands up. She was about to leave when she stop and looking straight at mina.

"One more thing, please stop care so much. For someone who just lost her mother. I really don't have any plans to have a new mom" She said and leaves, she didn't even bother to wait for desert.


*
*
*


After rejecting don't know how many admirer, including jeongyeon. Mina finally meet someone who finally can captured her heart and made her heart flutter for the first time, his name is Chaeyoung, he was calm, quiet but yet so loving and caring. 

Mina never knew she could like someone this much, Her heart will started to beat so fast whenever chaeyoung did a sweet gesture. Mina never like skinship but when she with chaeyoung her hand automatically searched for chaeyoung's, she loves to feel the warmth of his soft skin and she always longing for his cute smile. She likes the feeling of giddy and excited whenever the guy message her every night, talking with her about random things.

She likes chaeyoung so much and she also knows that the guy had the same feeling but the guy could be really dense sometimes, Mina almost lost count of how many times she had to gave a signs that she likes the guy too.

But at the same time, Mina doesn't want to push chaeyoung too hard, she wants to make sure the younger guy was ready for this. So she wait for him.

She wait and wait.... 

Until one day, when she walked pass the music room, she could heard a familiar voice, singing melodically while playing the piano. Curious, she began to make her way to the Music room and approached closer. She peeked her head to see a familiar silhouette. A smile appeared on her face,  it's definitely Nayeon.

Suddenly the music stopped making Mina gulp and blink softly.

"Your Ikat Jasmine perfume is too strong. I can smell it from here" the older girl said, her voice was firm but she still gave a playful glare at Mina.

Mina smile softly as she comes closer to the girl "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to eavesdropped" she said, knowing the bunny look-alike girl hates it when people hear her singing.

"It's okay" She said as she randomly pressed the keys of piano.

After the accident at the restaurant. They just acted normal, neither of them want to bring it up again. But the good thing was, Nayeon stopped treated Mina badly after that, she stopped gave her a cold shoulder and she started to talk with mina more often. They're still awkward but Mina doesn't mind, she knows their friendship will be fix soon. That's what she thought.

Mina stares at Nayeon silently, while the older girl still hiting the piano keys randomly, but it still made a great sound. Until Mina's gaze settled on the Daniel Wellington classic canterbury watch on Nayeon's wrist. Her heart is aching with jealousy, there's only one person she knows who owned that watch and the familiar crack line on the side is just proved that her suspicious is right "Is that Chaeyoung's watch?" 

Nayeon averted her gaze to the watch on her wrist "Yeah he left it at my house last night" she simply said.

"He went to your house?" Mina asked nervously, looking away, trying to control her brain from thinking unnecessary thought.

Nayeon abruptly stopped playing the piano, she looks at the girl, shocked. She open to speak but close it a seconds later. Nayeon frowns and it seems like she's thinking something. A smirk slowly creeps its way to Nayeon's lips, confusing Mina a bit.

"He's always went to my house" 

Mina halts for a few seconds "Always?"

"Ehm every night"

Mina closed her eyes to calm herself, without her knowing the older girl already smile in victoriously.

"For what?"

"You don't want to know.." Nayeon winked naughtily at Mina.

Mina shakes her head, her face shows the unbelievable gaze. She started to feel pain again inside her heart even though she denied it by thinking positively. But the pain won't go away.

Nayeon chuckles at her expression "why? You don't believe me?"

Mina swore she wants to wipe those annoying smile off Nayeon's face so bad. She then averted her gaze to look away, she doesn't know but she can't look at Nayeon's face any longer.

"All men are just the same darling, they just have different name. Don't trust them too much okay?" Nayeon said sweetly as she walked towards Mina, she tucked Mina's hair behind her ear. Mina just look at her in disbelief before she push Nayeon's hand lightly and walked away without even looking back.

Nayeon just looks at Mina's back with an unreadable expression on her face.

 

**********Awesome9**********

 

First of all, just think that 17 years old in this school are a freshman and 19 years old are the senior. Hahaha

So that's the reason why Mina was so mad at chaeyoung, but most of you already guess it right though. So The next chapter I will write about Nayeon and you will know the reason why she lied about her and chaeyoung (you guys can try to guess it). And you don't have any idea how many times I keep erased it so Nayeon's character looks less-evil here.😂