Chapter 7

Platonic Love

 

 

"Yeah mina is my girlfriend" jeongyeon shyly admit. Chaeyoung never saw his brother acting like this, if this was another situation he would've laughed and teased the older but he stayed unmoved, he furrowed his browns in confusion and look at nayeon, trying to search an answer but nayeon just avoided his eyes contact, her eyes wandered everywhere but him, she quickly getting up from her seat and leaving the table.

"Ok let see your sketchbo-"

"No!" chaeyoung cut him off with a harsh voice.

Everyone stop talking and looks at the latter, shocked.

"I'm sorry. I won't force you if you don't want me to see it" jeongyeon said in a worried voice and chaeyoung grits his teeth tightly now he felt guilty. He didn't mean to sound so harsh.

"I'm sorry. It's just... i'm not confident with my drawing" chaeyoung reasoned out "I gotta go. I forgot Mr. Kwon wants to see me" Chaeyoung said and give glanced at mina before he leaves.

 

 


Chaeyoung runs all his might through the hallway, ignoring all the students giving him weird looks, he started to feel dizzy and his legs hurt like hell but he kept on running untill he bumped into someone and fall on his .

He looks up and saw nayeon standing right in front of him.

He sighs and buried his head deeper in between his knees as he hug his knees, trying to catch his breath, his legs are starting to feel numb and his lungs hurt because he was breathing too fast.


There was a long period of silence that filled the atmosphere and none of them want to speak. Until finally the older had gathered all of her sense to start the conversation.


"Are you okay?"

 

His head slowly raised up as he rest his back against the wall, his eyes was staring blankly at her.

"You knew it right?" He asked in a faint whispers.

She remained quiet and just stared at him.

"You knew about them right?" He asked again, his tone was calm and measured, but it was obvious he was trying to hold back, he's biting his inner cheek to stop his anger and tears.

He knows the answer but he keep denying it. He doesn't know why, maybe he was tired trying to accept the reality.

Chaeyoung is not the kind of person who trusts people easily. But once he trusts someone he really has huge expectations of that person. So he gets upset when that person betrayed and disappointed him.

"Yeah, I was the first person who knew about them" nayeon said and looks away, not wanting to witness the look on the latter's face.

And it made him felt even worsen. Just when he thought she could have been someone that he could trust. Just when he thought that maybe the older starting to feel a little bit care about him just like how he feels towards the girl. But he thought wrong. She never cared about him.

"Why you didn't tell me?" Chaeyoung tiredly asked, feeling his heart break again for a second time today.

Then again, a long moment of silence filled them two. He can see nayeon's face is clearly show that she's uncomfortable right now. He thinks maybe the girl started to feel regretted by bumped into him.

Then suddenly he let out a small chuckles, nayeon just looks at him in confusion.

What was he expected to? it's nayeon, someone who never cared about other people except herself. He doesn't know why he has huge expectations from the girl like her. He blamed himself for being so stupid and naive.

Chaeyoung stands up and approach the girl, nayeon just look at him, wordless. He then stop in front of her and whisper to her "How long?" He asked with a sad tone.

Nayeon just standing there for a second, until she let out a heavy sigh and replying calmly.

"A week ago"

With that chaeyoung gives her a little nods and smile before leaving nayeon alone.

 

 


***

 

 
It's been a month since jeongyeon told chaeyoung about his relationship with mina. Since then, chaeyoung and mina stop talking completly, they don't even want to try to have a conversation. Chaeyoung doesn't care anymore, he got tired of being pushed away. 


He and dahyun stop had lunch with Jeongyeon and his friends. He doesn't know why he keeps avoid the group, maybe because he can't see the two being together, it's hurt him. But today he can't run away since Jeongyeon asked him to join them personally. He can't say no to his brother.

His relationship with jeongyeon is normal, they are not awkward at all, they jokes a lot, do laundry together, even played fornite together. He doesn't hates nor blames his brother for that, he is not that kind of guy, he knows his brother is innocent.


"I heard you almost got expelled from school because of your Annabelle video" jeongyeon said, trying to contain his laughs.

"Mr. Bubbles was a pain in the . He made that story up" dahyun scoffed.

Both jeongyeon and chaeyoung stared into each other in silence, until they both burst into laughing.

"I can't believe that old man bring that Annabelle video up now, that was 6 months ago!" Dahyun angrily said.

"Well it's not like everyone don't know it was you. So chill out" jeongyeon pats his shoulder.

The three of them are now sitting in their usual place table, waiting for the ladies to come. It was normal and chill until jeongyeon decided to ask chaeyoung a question that he's trying to avoid.

"Chaeyoung, can I asked you one question?" 

"What is it?"

"You and mina are okay right?" Jeongyeon asked, causing chaeyoung to curse under his breath.

"What do you mean?" chaeyoung chuckles, trying to acting normal and he knows he at it that's why he avoided eye contact with him in a fear of being revealed.

Dahyun being a good friend, just minding his own business and playing with his phone, don't care about the younger who is now fidgeting and sweating too much.

"Lately, I feel like you two are drifting apart" jeongyeon said. 

"We're fine" chaeyoung smile, trying to assuringly the older that they are fine. 

Jeongyeon was about to open his mouth when suddenly two girls come to their table.

“Hey babe” mina said to jeongyeon and jeongyeon smile widely as he put his arm around mina’s waist and kiss her on the right cheek.

"I miss you" jeongyeon muttered.

Chaeyoung's chest started twitching, disliked at the sight in front of him. He then rolled his eyes and sipping his drink, lost his smile from the beginning of mina appearances.

“Excuse you guys. No PDA. Please have some respects for us singles” jihyo said in a sarcastic way.

“Where are the other?” Jeongyeon asked jihyo.

“We’re here” nayeon come with a tray full of food, followed by sana and momo.

"Wait" nayeon said as her eyes darted to chaeyoung, the look on her face made chaeyoung's stomach dropped unpleasantly "Oh you're still alive?" Nayeon said with a mocking tone.

Chaeyoung just looks away, starting to feel guilty. He can't blame the older girl for being mad at him. He ignored the girl for month. it's not like he's mad at her, he just want took some time off to recover and spending time with Nayeon is not helping at all since it will just remind him of mina. That's why he decided to avoided the girl.

 

“So jeongyeon have you talk about our plan to them?” Jihyo ask curiously.

Jeongyeon smile and clasped his hands, Everyone's attention are on him now.

“I have something to tell you guys”

“So me and jihyo decided... to having a picnic at han river with you guys” jeongyeon says excitedly.

“Awesome!” momo and sana exclaimed.

“What? No, no, no. No aircond then no dahyun” dahyun says firmly.

“Oh come on.. this is our last year. Let’s spend our time together. What if we don’t get to see each other again?” Jeongyeon says.

“your last year” dahyun says, pointing his finger to Jeongyeon, nayeon and jihyo. 

"Not our last year" dahyun adds, pointing to himself and the others.

“Me and dahyun are in” Jihyo says making dahyun look at her with his eyes wide open, shock. But just sigh defeatedly "aishhh fine"

“you're coming too right, chaeyoung?” momo nudge the boy beside her, making chaeyoung almost choke on his drink.

It's only then that everyone notice how quiet chaeyoung has been this whole time.

Chaeyoung stiffened, he slowly raised his head and noticed that everyone are staring at him.

“I.... uhm..” Chaeyoung slightly glanced at mina and jeongyeon and notice that they’re holding hand tightly.

He dropped his head, playing with his food and slightly shrugs as he simply reply "No"  He had no emotion on his face.

Everyone groans and whine.

"Why is he so moody lately" -jihyo

"Maybe he's going through puberty" -momo

"He's going through puberty?" -sana

"Yeah he is at the age of puberty" -dahyun

 

Chaeyoung got irritated with the stares and whispered he's receiving from her friends.

"If I'm joining you guys, will you stop talking about puberty?" 

"Yeah" Everyone said in unison.

Chaeyoung sigh and rolls his eyes ”fine"

 


***

 


The music room is empty when Nayeon closes the door behind her. Throwing her bag on the table , she make her way towards the window and opened it, brought the calm wind blew her tired face, she sighs as she digs into her jacket pocket, fishing out her pack of cigarettes.

She knows she promised with everyone especially with mina that she will stop smoking and she knows it's not good for her health, she clearly knows about the consequence but she can't help, it's her best stress reliever. Besides, since when she even give a about her own health.

She leaned against the window sill as she places a cigarette in between her lips, she lighst up the stick with a lighter and inhaling the smoke slowly as the burning on the edge of her stick momentarily grows brighter, smoke filled and lung , warming her from the inside.

 

"You know you will get into trouble if you don't lock the door right?" 

Nayeon didn't bother to look towards the intruder she knows who owns that voice, lifting her head to exhale a big cloud of smoke into the air before replying.

"What do you think the reason why I always got detention huh?"

Nayeon turned to face the intruder and automatically smile. She never know this intruder could has such an effect on her.

"I miss you too midget"

 


Nayeon said that to him. This is the first time he ever heard the older said she missed him but he wasn't sure if she really meant it or she just mocked him for ignored her this whole time. Her voice sounds sincere but her face said otherwise.

Chaeyoung just scoffed and approaches the girl, standing beside the girl and rested his arms against the window sill, look up at the blue sky.

"I'm sorry for being childish. I'm sorry for being upset with you, It's not your fault if you didn't want to told me about jeongyeon and mina before, I can't blame you, sometimes we just don't like to get involve with drama" he said and turned to face the girl, however nayeon just remains silent, just staring blankly outside the window.

"And then I realized that I treat you just like how mina treated me, it's not fair for you that I started to ignored you when you did nothing wrong, so here I am. I'm sorry." chaeyoung said sincerely, he nudge the girl beside him lightly. 

"Are we good now?" Chaeyoung asked Nayeon, The girl just gives him a small smile. The slight smile on her lips makes it safe for chaeyoung to move closer towards the girl, leaned against the wall next to the older.

He watches as Nayeon drag the stick between her lips again and inhales the toxic taste of tobacco deeply, she focuses on the taste of the smoke and the burn of her lungs before let out a long exhale.

Chaeyoung already know that Nayeon is smoking but for some reason he was itching to snatches that stick out of her hand and throw it away. But he knows he doesn't has the right to do that.

"I thought you already quit smoking"

"I did"

"Then why are you smoke again?"

"s happen" she simply reply as she took one last puff from her cigarette before throwing it outside the window.

"Is it about your father again?"

 

 

"He is... one of them" 

Chaeyoung just hummed in respond, don't know what to say. He at giving people a good advice especially about family matters.

He knows Nayeon has a bad relationship with her dad, they both stop talking 4 years ago and they didn't live together anymore. Nayeon never told him the reason why they fought but she always told him how much she hates her dad, how much she hoped that he's not her father, she even wished she'd never be born in the first place. He doesn't know what was her dad did to her that makes her hated him that much.

Nayeon then pulled out a pack of cigarettes from her pocket, she opened it and was about to took the cigarette out when suddenly chaeyoung snatched it away. Nayeon stares at him, annoyed.

"Enough with cigarette already. I bought you a chocolate milk" chaeyoung said and he can see her eyes flicker in happinesses for the first time in a while.

He smile as he excitingly run to his bag and took out a box of chocolate milk and gives it to her who gladly took it.

He then sit on in front of the piona and commands her to sit beside him. Nayeon just obey him and sit beside the guy as she taking a sip of chocolate milk.

"You know how to play piano?" Nayeon asked but the boy only smile at her and drags his long fingers, pressing it on the piano keys while closing his eyes, allowing himself to play the piano randomly as the girl beside him observed him silently.


"You and mina still don't talk?" She suddenly asked.

He doesn't has a mood to talk about Mina so he just ignored Nayeon's question and just press the keys with anger and play randomly, trying to tell the girl to stop asking about Mina.

"You can't blame her for dating your brother right? She doesn't know about your true feelings"

Chaeyoung froze, his finger stayed on the piano keys but his fingers stop moving.

He then let out a tired sigh before looking up to see nayeon, his empty eyes just gazed at her without a glint of emotions.

"I didn't mad at her because of that" he answered, there is a slight annoyance in his voice. 

"Then?"

"She suddenly pushed me, ignored me for no reason, treated like I don't even exist and all I've done is show her love and when I asked her why, she's mad at me and yelled at me. I have feeling too" he said, he felt sad and angry but mostly he felt betrayed.

"Sometimes I feel like she just used me to get my brother and then she threw me away when she got what she wanted" 

"She's not like that!" Nayeon said, her voice was deep and stern. Chaeyoung instantly turned to looks at her, furrowing his browns in confusion.

"She's not like that" Nayeon repeats, this time softer. Chaeyoung just snorted at her.

"You don't know how it feels when you let that someone become a priority in your life but you're just an option in theirs" he muttered, looks away.

The two remained silent for a few minutes.

He knows Nayeon is overprotective when it comes to Mina, they were friends since toodler, that's why he didn't want to have this conversation in the first place.

Chaeyoung then let his fingers press the keys of the piano once again as he played the lovely tune, Nayeon who beside him join in too and moved her fingers gracefully, easily matches with the younger.

 

"Does it hurt?"

She asked, still playing the piano, her fingers started to move fast and chaeyoung can tell that she knows piano too well.

 

"Yes. So bad" he replied.

 

"How can I help you?"


Chaeyoung started playing it softer and slower, he smiles sadly.


"Teach me....

 

... teach me how to move on"

 

Then the room fell silent, awkward silence, there's nothing but the sound of relaxing piano music background.


"I'm sorry, I don't know" she finally answered in a faint whispers. Chaeyoung furrows his brows.

"Then how can you move on from jeong-" Chaeyoung paused and his expression sank in realization. He stop playing but not the girl beside him, pulling his hands off the piano, he looks over his shoulder and their eyes met. She just smiles at him before focusing herself back on the piano keys, playing a tune without making any mistake. 

 


"You haven't" 

 

 

 


*********Awesome9*********