Night of ghosts

Only ones left

 

 

 

“Student Jang Woo-young, what on earth are you doing?!”

Wooyoung looked up startled. He faced Ms. Min’s sharp look, which he immediately avoided.

”Teacher Min, I just stumbled to Dong -sshi!”

“It was such an odd way to stumble, young boy” teacher Min said, “First you pushed him around and then sat on him - You stupid boy, stand up right away!”

Wooyoung couldn’t help than stand up. Stupid wimp under him moaned from relief.

“Why did you do that?” teacher Min asked grumpy.

“Mrs. Min -”

”Just answer me! I saw clearly you pushed him around and then sat on him with no reason!”

“But teacher Min, that wimp stole my lunch box!”

“Is that so?” Mrs. Min asked sharply, ”To me it looked like you was the one that stoled, and it was Dong-suk’s box!”

“Mrs. Min -”

”SHUT UP YOU STUPID BOY!”

 

 

”C’mon guys...You should be back home already...”

Junho stood at window with a worried gaze. Window opened up to forest’s direction. Junho had stood there for a quite some time, but he wouldn’t had left his place if only tea pot hadn’t screamed like a demon girl in the kitchen. Just when Junho was jogging to kitchen, Khun appeared to upper opening of stairs.

“Minjun told you to go to take the pot up from stove.”

“I’m going!” Junho announced vanishing in to kitchen. Screaming stopped.

“Oh finally!” Khun heard Minjun to exclaim from his bedroom. He returned to huyng’s.

“Okay, shall we continue” Nichkhun said returning to sit to the end of Minjun’s bed, carefully avoiding to bump his head to the bottom of upper bed. He was changing Minjun’s bandages, started from stomach wound. It was healing well, even better than leg injuries. They tend to recycle bandages washing them in the soap water, first one holding the bandage straight and another one washing. Then bandages were put on the clothesline as straight as they had been during the wash. So far, this had worked well every time somebody had needed bandages.

“Here we have some tea!” Junho greeted bringing round tray with tea pot and three cups on it. The room was filled with lovely scent of mint tea.

“Oh my God, I didn’t realized how much I had missed mint tea until now!” Nichkhun said.

Junho poured a cup for Nichkhun and Minjun.

“Ay, ay, ay!” Minjun interrupted Khun, ”These are too loose now. Are you hurrying to have that tea?”

“Well, yeah, but I think they can be smooth. Not too tight. Otherwise your leg can’t get any blood. And wounds have to get some air too.”

“I know, I know, but I still want you to fold them again..What’s the meaning of bandages if they’re too loose?”

“You rarely even move that much it’d matter”, Junho remarked. Nichkhun sat embittered. Junho sipped his tea.

“Okay, I’ll fold them again”, Khun said starting to fix bandages. It was clearly visible that Khun was annoyed, but Minjun didn’t change his mind.

“Are Chansung and Taecyeon still outside?” Minjun asked Junho wondering, not mentioning Nichkhun anymore.

“I stood at the window quite long but I didn’t see a glimpse.”

“It seems like soon we have to search them too” Khun muttered folding last knot, “Is it good?” he asked Minjun. He smiled, not acting.

De” Minjun said also smiling warmly, “Don’t care about that first one. Let’s take some tea.”

 

 

Chansung felt himself very anxious.

He ran in deep blue forest, where everything non-air was all black. Night was arising. He was all alone, running like a figure in some computer games back then. He stayed alert, because in dark forest anything could attack on you. However, they had to find Wooyoung as quickly as possible, no matter what! Thought about him laying somewhere hurt and fighting for his life, had made Taechan so anxious they just had to defy darkness coming anytime soon and go to search their brother. They were afraid the worst could happen; it had been too close with Minjun.

There were times Chansung stopped and hesitated which one would cause milder pain: that Wooyoung may would be hurt or attacked on, or that Taec and he were now exposing themselves to hurt or be attacked on? On the other hand, he and Taecyeon knew they both were out, so they were able to search each other in case the other wouldn’t appear. Wooyoung may wouldn’t show up whether he was fine or not.

This was the cause Chansung kept running, every single time.

 

 

Again Chansung stopped. He heard hollow sound somewhere. Maknae tried to locate the source of noise.

Could it be Taec? Chansung thought, Or even Wooyoung?

Chansung hesitated. He was afraid. It was so dark, he heard strange voice and was all alone. He wanted nothing more than go home and have warm drink and safety around him. But he also had his ethics.

“I can’t leave that still. We have to research everything”, maknae muttered. He stayed to stood for a while trying to hear the location of voice. Then he made a turnaround heading to the Southeast.  

The voice got louder once Chansung ran closer. Now he realized what actually made it. It was the church bells. Chansung was very thirsty.

Why I can’t be home already..., he thought sweat running down to his back.

 

 

Finally Chansung saw the church and meadow from between tree boughs. He rumbled through them ripping those like an ox.

“!”

Last bough had poked him to the eye. For a moment Chansung’s vision was cut into fragments. He squatted trying to get eye working again. Bell’s hollowing was really loud now, almost unbearable. Who the hell can make that sound? Birds can’t do it! And it’s not even windy! Chansung wondered while trying to get his vision together. It took a while, and Chansung stood up holding his ears. He saw dim light from church window.

Could it really be...?   

”WOOYOUNG, IT’S ME, CHANSUNG!”

Bells stopped. Chansung listened waiting anxious. Had he really found his brother?

...Or had he done a mistake by undercover himself with shout?

Oh why, oh why do I have to be here...Why couldn’t I just be at home playing cards with others.

Nobody came out. Simply, nothing happened.

Oh great. Now I have to go in. And why in the hell we didn’t take any weapons?! Aissh..Death is invited by person in danger without weapons. Well done, Chansung. Well done.

“Wooyoung?”

Chansung opened church door first slightly, then bit more. The door creaked rough.

Chansung stood at the doorway stunned. He was stared at.

The door had been opened to church hall’s left-front, altar just in front of him. Church hall wasn’t big, but still it was full of persons; persons with a nacre form. And all were staring at him, even the priest. A big grandfather clock was ticking at the right side of hall, pressurizing the situation yet more. Still, Chansung felt like time had been stopped. His ears were buzzing, his mind was blank. He just saw. He saw a hall full of ghosts. And a sharp gaze. It was too familiar.

Appa.

 

 

”Chansung, why can’t you just listen to me now?”

“You already told me” Chansung blurted, “I did listen to you.”

“How can you do this to your father. You have to respect me!”

“You want me to take care of umma after you’re gone. But umma is strong woman, she can manage well.”

“Son’s responsibility is to take care of his whole family.”

“I know that, and I will, but what is the actual problem you’re having here? I don’t get it!”

“My son, Chansung, try to understand I’m worried about you and your mother...What are you going to do with this big house...Your mother’s pension isn’t enough..you should study, not dance all the time, that doesn’t make money!”

Appa, we have talked about this a million times. And you really start to sound senile. Just relax.”

“But Chansung...”

Chansung left, and didn’t care that he had got him crying.

 

 

Suddenly Chansung was back in the church hall. He got his senses back.

Miahnhaeyo!” he exclaimed with a voice he’d never recognize it as his own, ”God bless you!” he stumbled trying to be as polite as possible. He closed the door in a little hurry clanking it bit too loud. He left running away although he was not able to concentrate and his vision was bit blurred. He needed to get out of here. Quick!

Taecyeon!

Chansung fell sitting to the ground. Taecyeon stared him above. His face was death pale.

“What the hell are you doing here?!”

“I thought you made that sound!”

“I thought you made that sound!”

“No, I didn’t” Chansung panted startled, confused, tired, shocked and everything you can be imagine, “Why are you that pale?”

Taecyeon was silent, looking very difficult and shocked.

”I saw Jay.”

EH?

”I did. As a ghost” Taecyeon said and swallowed, ”Take me home, Chansung. I’m not fine.”