Number

Stargazer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 2

Number

 



"I will get it! I'm sure I can reach it. I just have to climb this tree a little." said Jisoo while her short legs tried to climb the tree where the kite she was playing with got stuck. "Just a little more." 

V went out that afternoon. He needs to go visit his Uncle and his cousins starting tomorrow and for the next two weeks. But he hasn’t told Jisoo yet. 

From a distance V saw his neighbor, Jisoo. She's that girl who always greets him loudly whenever they meet. She would tail him wherever he goes and she would copy almost everything that he does. Well except now that she's a few feet from the ground climbing a tree... that is her original move.

"What the..." 


She will not make the next step. Her legs are too short!

V did not hesitate. He immediately run and saw it when Jisoo's leg slid and she almost fell if her hand did not grab a branch.

"Jisoo!" V shouted as he reached the tree. 

"V! V Oppa... help me!" Jisoo looked down. "Oh no... I'm so high up here. And my arm can't hold on any more."

V's chest started beating fast. 

"Don't look down." Said V. 
"I'm scared!" Cried Jisoo
"Jisoo do you trust me?" Asked V
"Huh?"
"Do you trust me Jisoo?" V shouted
Jisoo bit her lip.
"Yes."
"Then listen to me. I am here directly under you. You need to let go of the branch. I will catch you." Said V
"What?!"
"You trust me right? "
"But I'm afraid to fall."
"Not when I'm here, you shouldn't. Now on the count of three let go of the branch, all right?"
Jisoo took a deep breath and nodded.
"All Right, Oppa."
"Then 1,2 and 3!"

V prepared for Jisoo's fall. And as Jisoo let go of the branch, V made sure to catch Jisoo's head and body. The impact was hard. Both of them fell on the ground. But Jisoo did not feel hurt anywhere. When she turned, she realized V is lying under her!

"Oppa!" 

Jisoo immediately stood up and tried to help V up but V couldn't. His legs felt hard with pain and he had wounds on his elbows.

"Oh no Oppa... it's my fault."


Jisoo knelt beside V and started crying. V tried to catch her but he ended up hurt. 

"Hush Jisoo, Don't cry. I'll be fine. It's just a wound." Said V.

"You should have just let me fall." Said Jisoo

"No." said V. "Of course not.”

Jisoo raised her eyes from V's wounded elbow to his eyes. 

Jisoo gulped. V is smiling at her so gently despite his wound. 

"Remember this Jisoo. For as long as I am here, I will never let you fall." 


----------

"Because while I'm here... you will never fall."

That similar phrase spoken from the same lips from 15 years ago echoed in Jisoo's mind. The memory of their childhood flooded her eyes and she forgot where she is. Jisoo blinked. Why are there so many lights? Why are there so many people? And why... is the grown up V in front of her, holding her... their bodies just a feet away, his arm around her, his hand on her wrist.

V went closer as his lips almost touched Jisoo's ear. 

"You couldn't have bumped your head when I caught you three feet before you hit the ground, right Jisoo?" Said V

At the sound of her name on his lips, that low and rich voice... how can he say her name like velvet... and his breath on her ears, it made a tingling feeling crawl on her stomach.

And then V let her go and moved a step back. 

Why? Why did he move back? She wants them close. Already, she missed the warmth of him being close. 

And then Jisoo realized where she is. She's at her parent's anniversary party! And she's taking care of the visitors!

Jisoo cleared . V is looking at her as if waiting for her to say something.

"Goo...good to see you, V Oppa." Said Jisoo. "I mean... yeah...it's nice...I'm glad... to see you."

V's lip arched into a one sided smile.

"I'm glad to see you too." Said V. "It's been a long time, right?"

Jisoo nodded.

"Yes... umm... that's why... it's good... good to see you." Said Jisoo. "I mean not just good but... glad... so glad and happy to see you."

V's eyes narrowed.

"Thank you." Said V

There was an awkward moment of silence. 

It progressed into a complete dead air. 

And then it became excruciatingly awkward.


Jisoo couldn't stand it! And so she said the first and only thing that came to her mind.

"You... should know how happy ... I mean delighted, how delighted I am...to-"

"To see me" cut V.

Jisoo's eyes widened. How did he know what she was about to say?

"You already said that four times." Said V

Oh no! Jisoo felt her face burning in embarrassment.

V chuckled.

"I must be a special guest for you to be this happy to see me." Said V

"You are!" Jisoo blurted. And then she bit her tongue. How can she blurt it like that?! Isn't there enough embarrassment for the night? 


"I mean... you were our neighbor... and... a childhood friend. You are of course special. I mean a special guest."

V smiled and nodded. 

"You should probably help the Uncle get his drink." Said V

And only then did Jisoo remember the Uncle! 

OH NO...

Jisoo saw the Uncle watching the entire thing.

V stepped closer to Jisoo and patted her shoulder.

"You're doing a great job." Said V and then he winked at her before he walked away. 

Jisoo released a long breath. She felt like jelly!

That was.... 

That was so intense! So... Amazing and Unbelievable!

"Is everything all right?" Asked the Uncle

"Absolutely!" Answered Jisoo. "It's amazing"

The Uncle's brows went up in question.

"Let's get you drinks, Uncle." Said Jisoo. "I'll get you the best drinks ever!"


--------

V saw his Uncle Jang Hyuk entering the hall. He made his way to him and received a nod from his Uncle in acknowledgement.

"I hope I didn't interrupt. " said Jang Hyuk

"It's fine. There will be enough time later." Said V

"There's Alfie Kim." Said Jang Hyuk

V's eyes narrowed as he turned his eyes on the man who made his life miserable. Alfie Kim of Polaris Enterprise. He looks older now, but he still possesses that air of authority around him. Beside him is his wife who was Miss Korea back in the days. She still looks pretty after all these years. She has the exact same face as Jisoo, only a bit older.

V clenched his hands. Already he can feel his chest tightening with anger and revulsion.

"I need to get introduced to them." Said V

"Will you be all right? Can you handle this?” Asked Jang Hyuk

“We are not here to party, Uncle.” Said V. “I can be a good actor for as long as it can bring me closer to our goal.”

Jang Hyuk nodded.

“Then follow me.”


Jang Hyuk made his way to Alfie Kim and loudly cleared his throat when he reached them.

Alfie Kim’s eyes narrowed when they approached as if he’s having a hard time remembering who they are.

"You.... Jang Hyuk?" Alfie Kim looked stunned. 

Jang Hyuk gave a wide smile.

"Happy Anniversary Alfie Hyung!" Said Jang Hyuk, reaching out to shake Alfie's hand.

There was a second of hesitation but Alfie accepted the handshake and smiled.

"It's been a long time. How are you?" Asked Alfie

"I'm doing good. Business is doing good. My nephew here has been a great help to me. Sometimes I feel like I don't even need to worr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter