I still want to go home

Everybody loves Jihyo!

The unasked for sequel for "I just wanna go home"

 

******

 

 

It had been three months, things were tense throughout all of it and Jihyo wasn’t budging about her new home. Dahyun had loved the place and made herself so comfortable she moved around as if it was her own house, Jeongyeon still refused to recognise she was in the wrong and actually apologise and mean it. While her friends were insisting on whatever they had convinced themselves was for the detective’s own good, Jihyo had worked hard with her therapist and was well enough to get herself a little companion.

 

Whilst dogs were still a no go, Jihyo got a cat, a scottish fold that looks mischievous and up to no good at all times, it was impressive really. She named him Bbuyo and he was actually very affectionate, even Dahyun mentioned it from the times she’d visit. It was nice to have another living being to take care of, and there were no expectations. The cat liked her genuinely, she was a lot better after she followed her therapist’s advice and adopted it. Mina had, finally, relented and ended her suspension, no matter how pretty the chief tried to dress it, Jihyo had been suspended and was never even told the reason.

 

From what her sources at the station had been telling her, Jihyo knew the other detectives had been struggling, senator Kim had paid chief Myoui a visit a few days before, maybe that had something to do with detective Park’s return, the woman was certain her friends would insist on ‘making her rest’ like she wasn’t capable of taking care of herself. It was good to be able to return to what she enjoyed, especially now that Bbuyo had time to adapt and wasn’t glued to her 24/7. Arriving at the station, the headaches began. There was a vehicle parked on her spot, all detectives had an alloted spot with their names literally written on them, whoever this person was, they either ignored it completely or was new enough to not know about the spots.

 

Jihyo parked right in front of the station’s front door, she was pissed already and hadn’t even gotten inside yet. Jinyoung was at his post at the front desk as usual and he immediately understood something was already wrong. He straightened himself and did his best not to seem so intimidated.

 

“Two two five, oe, six nine nine zero. Who owns it?”

 

“I’m sorry, detective?”

 

“The plates for the vehicle occupying my parking space, who owns it?”

 

“Perhaps the visiting detective from Bucheon, she’s been here for a week, should be talking to the chief right now.”

 

“Thanks Jinyoung, I’ll be heading in and my bike will be staying where it is until my parking space issue is resolved, you can tell the chief to come pick the bone with me.”

 

“Will do.” The officer agrees easily. “And Hyo? It’s great to have you back.”

 

Jihyo smiles at him and goes inside. She decided to wear her daily uniform that day, she knew Mina would be calling her soon and it probably had to do with the parked on her spot. From experience, this Bucheon detective is someone very entitled, who clearly thinks of themselves as better and more important than others and above following rules. If they weren’t her parking spot would be free and whoever this person was would have parked at the visitor spots, as they should. The detective had just changed into her uniform when an idea came to her.

 

If she could just get the car towed, why wait and waste her patience over this. Sejeong owed her for that date she stood Jihyo up, no harm in calling in a favor and getting the tow truck to take it away in less than an hour. So the detective made the call, explained the situation, and it was very against the law to park on marked spaces without a permit, so the truck was sent, by the time Jihyo got back outside to park her bike properly, the damn car was already gone. This detective from Bucheon can kiss her and learn some manners for all Jihyo cared.

 

“Park, get in.” Mina called as soon as the detective reached her table.

 

“Chief, good morning.” Jihyo greets as she enters.

 

“Detective Park, welcome back. This is detective Jung from the Bucheon branch, she’s here about her investigation and wants to ask for your help.” Chief Myoui introduces.

 

“Jung Yerin, nice to meet you. I’m glad your suspension is up and you are available to help us.” The woman smirks with an air of superiority that irks Jihyo all the wrong ways.

 

“Park Jihyo.” The detective introduces curtly, ignoring the extended hand. “What is this about, Chief?”

 

“Senator Kim paid us a visit a few days ago, this case involves some high profile individuals and it’s in everyone’s best interest to solve this quickly and as quietly as possible.”

 

“Got it, and do I get the files or should I just head to the crime scene and start doing my own investigation?” Jihyo asked the chief.

 

“My team has already begun investigating, and I have a compiled file for you here.” Jung waves around a slim file. “I’m sure the prodigy detective Park Jihyo can work her magic with this.”

 

“When am I headed to the Bucheon branch?” Jihyo insists on ignoring the visiting woman.

 

“You can take your station car and head out right away, take Choi with you, I know you two work well together.” Mina says, ignoring her friend’s anger. It would be best to not fuel the fire and she also really wanted Jung out of there already.

 

“Will do.” Jihyo gets up to leave. “Have a nice day Chief.”

 

The sleazy smirk only grows on Yerin’s lips, Mina had been doing everything she could to get someone else working the case, but once high politicians got involved, there wasn’t much she could do to go against it. Sure, the group was still salty towards Jihyo for all the moving without telling them and then insisting in not talking to Sana, Momo and Jeongyeon, usually they would have gone past that and back to normal already. Sure, Mina had a lot of talks with Dahyun and the pale woman was adamant that the group should apologise properly and let Jihyo live her own life.

 

“Youngjae, you are with me!” Jihyo calls her junior as she leaves the office. 

 

“It’s great to have you back, Park sunbae.” The young man greets happily. “What should I take?”

 

“Just go and get a car for us, and I’ll fix the bags, Chief already assigned you to be my partner.” The detective informs, then leans closer to whisper. “Just be by the door with the car when I get out, I don’t want that Jung woman to go by the parking lot yet.”

 

“Sure thing, sunbae.” He agrees easily. “I’ll just grab my things and wait for you outside.”

 

As Youngjae goes out to sign off for the vehicle and chuckles when he passes by the detective’s spot and sees the bike there instead of the car that was there this morning. Detective Jung slithers out of Mina’s office right as the junior is leaving, still supporting that disgusting smirk and ‘I’m doing you a favor’ attitude. It was alright, Jihyo eats these kinds of idiots for breakfast, she’ll teach the woman a lesson for life, if she doesn’t completely shatter the woman’s ego in the process, that is.

 

“Park, huh?! I heard a lot about you, people seem to idolize you everywhere, even the high ups pushed for you to be in this case. I gotta ask, who did you bed to have so much leverage with so many people?”

 

“Jung, right?!” Jihyo remembered, but she won’t give the woman this satisfaction. “We’ll be leaving in five, so get your donut and coffee and be ready or I’ll be leaving you here.”

 

“Feisty, I like it. I’m all ready for you, babe.”

 

Jihyo still doesn’t talk much, just finished packing and walked out, making sure to keep a fast pace and jump on the front seat as soon as she reaches the car. Youngjae knew his senior enough to get an arrest vehicle, not a detective one, so Yerin either resigned to the backseat or found another way to move around. Grumbling and clearly displeased, detective Jung takes her seat and makes a point to slam the door and keep complaining under her breath. Youngjae tries to suppress a smile and Jihyo is just satisfied that her message is getting across.

 

Getting to the Bucheon precinct, Youngjae parks at the visitor spot as his senior had told him to make a show of doing, and both make their way to the front desk still not acknowledging the other detective. There was a young woman there, officer Chen, by the nametag, both visitors whip their badges to introduce themselves.

 

“Good morning, I’m detective Park, this is detective Choi, we are here about a case that requires our cooperation and would like to talk to your Chief, please.”

 

“He’s waiting for you, just go on in and I’ll phone him about your arrival.” Officer Chen instructs, clearly amused by the house detective following this new duo and looking very upset about just everything.

 

Jihyo looks at Youngjae and tilts her head towards the door, both proceed inside in silence, many officers look at them, some in wonder, others in mockery, most just surprised that THE Park Jihyo was present in their precinct. The chief was an old man, already balding and with a few grey hairs poking out here and there, but he seemed level headed enough. The little plaque said Park Jooyoung, and Jihyo was always entertained meeting another Park in the job, she loved playing around with equal last names. It was one of her little pleasures, leave her alone.

 

“Chief Park, this is detective Choi, I’m detective Park, we are here about the collaboration between our precincts.” Jihyo introduces.

 

“It’s great to meet you both, and I’m honestly grateful, we need the help urgently.” The man greets. “I’m sure detective Jung already filled you in-”

 

“Not really, sir. We headed out as soon as Chief Myoui said our presence was needed, and detective Jung came along. Detective Choi and I would love to be filled in on the findings and I’d like to go to the crime scene and then take a look at the body, if possible.”

 

The chief is clearly surprised, but doesn’t mind being interrupted. “Certainly, the team is in room B, to the left as you leave, and I’ll call ahead and give a heads up to the morgue so they can wait for you. Just make yourself at home and do what you must, I’ll be here if you need anything.”

 

“Thank you, chief, I’ll be on my way.” Jihyo noded and left, Yerin still following behind and looking pissed as ever.

 

Finding the right room was easy enough, there were another two kids in there, already working and looking as lost as they could be. Both girls stopped once Jihyo entered, the senior detective had knocked and excused herself inside, introducing herself and Youngjae before detective Jung tried to interfere again, Jihyo just wanted this over so she could get back to her own things, so she cut in before the other could get too into the whole ‘I’m better than you’ thing. 

 

“Well, it’s very nice meeting you both. Could you run me through everything you have first?”

 

“Sure thing, detective Park.” One of the juniors, Choi Yuna, began explaining.

 

With the help of the other junior, Kim Yewon, they explained what the supposed compilation detective Jung brought obviously could never. The daughter of a congressman was found dead in her apartment, located in the middle of Gangnam’s ‘hot’ area, the case had fallen to the Bucheon jurisdiction because congressman Lee’s family home was there and he pushed for investigations to be conducted on home ground and that generated a whole lot of paperwork that could only be facilitated by someone from the Gangnam area, Jihyo wasn’t exactly Gangnam, but her precinct was denominated under Seoul in general and that was good enough to find a loophole that would solve everyone’s problem.

 

Now it was more clear as to why Mina put her up to this, it could easily have been anyone else, literally, but things were too high profile and the faster things were solved, the better. Jihyo looked at the pictures and discussed a few things with Youngjae quietly, then made a few observations to the others, it was clear she was withholding information but detective Jung was too full of herself to ask. They headed to the morgue right after and heard everything the coroner had to say and asked the juniors to guide her to the crime scene. All throughout, Jihyo had been giving pointers to Youngjae about her method, she liked him and he was honestly friendly. After Busan they became friends, Jihyo had even had dinner at his home, his wife was a lovely lady that enjoyed feeding her until she got sick.

 

With all that, Jihyo had decided to take the junior under her wing and had been helping him with cases ever since. Even during her suspension, don’t tell Mina nor Nayeon, both will lose their if they find out. Especially when they learn that Youngjae and his wife have been to Jihyo’s new house a few times. Now, back to the investigation, the Lees lived very well indeed, nothing too unexpected from a congressman, the house had tight security but it seemed that they were waiting for Jihyo, thanks chief Park, the man had come through and left all doors open. 

 

Talking to the Lees, the detectives find out there were two daughters, the oldest one had been found dead in her bed in the morning by the sister, both lived in the apartment since the youngest started college, she learned that both were well behaved and star students, everything an affluent family wanted, according to the parents, that was. Jihyo asked to speak with the daughter, the girl had been sitting quietly the entire time, detective Park asked if herself and detective Choi could talk to the girl by the gardens, explaining she needed to know from her personally and it was best if the parents weren’t near for that. Congressman Lee wasn’t very happy, but agreed when the detective told him it would save them a trip to the station.

 

“Chaeryoung, I’m detective Park Jihyo, this is my partner, detective Choi Yugyeom, we understand it might be traumatic recalling the events, but I’d like you to tell me honestly everything that happened, starting in the morning the day before.” Jihyo asks when they are seated outside.

 

Detective Jung insisted on still talking to the parents some more, saying the girl didn’t have anything to offer, and demanded her juniors stayed with her inside.

 

“Well, I wouldn’t say traumatic per se, I have found her looking like that many times before.” The girl began.

 

“How so?” Yugyeom blurted.

 

“We are rich girls with a luxury apartment in Gangnam, whilst I had very hard limits about partying, my sister had none.” She sighs. “Chaeyeon was the typical rich girl, she partied almost every night, her ‘friends’ (there’s a scoff here) always came up with the hard stuff and she loved it.”

 

“Can you tell us what, exactly?” Jihyo asked, but continued when she saw hesitation. “It’s not like we can charge her for anything, and if you say you stayed away from those, I’ll believe you completely.”

 

“I don’t really know, but the best days was when she did coke, it was one of the lightest things she did. I lost count of how many times I went into her room in the morning and saw her purple and unmoving, that’s why it took me a while to notice she was really gone this time.”

 

“I’m guessing your parents have absolutely no idea about all this?” Detective Choi asks between taking notes.

 

“Oh, they know alright, we are always followed by security dad placed, I’m sure everything gets to their ears.” Chaeryoung smiles bitterly. “The thing is, my sister was a magician with makeup and she knew what to take the next morning to pass as sleepy instead of a drug hangover.”

 

“That makes more sense, to be honest.” Jihyo says, mostly to herself. “Your parents looked very hesitant to allow me to talk to you and only relented when I mentioned calling you to the station formally.”

 

“That would absolutely force everything into the spotlight and they really can’t afford that. Dad is running for senate.” The girl agrees. “Also, despite us both frequenting the same places, my crowd was usually just the young and nice kids just looking to unwind, none of us ever really wanted anything more than alcohol, and even then, it was rarely past the buzzed stage. I can give you a list of my group and everyone’s numbers if you want, but I don’t really know anyone from my sister’s group, they weren’t exactly open for anyone.”

 

“This is my card, that’s my personal number and that is my email.” Jihyo scribbles on the card and hands it to the girl discreetly. “The other numbers are my work phone and the station number if you need. I’d love that list, but you saying it was a normal occurance for her to look dead in the morning, I might have to go back to the morgue and look again. Thank you very much for everything, and I’ll do my best to wrap this up properly.”

 

“The best from the best is all I could ask for detective, I’m sure you’ll find that daddy dearest will be very happy when you solve this.”

 

“Thank you for talking to us, ms Lee.” Jihyo stands and nods for Yugyeom to follow.

 

“We’ll be in contact if we need anything else.” The junior says.

 

“I can provide anything you might want, detective Park.” The young woman says with a clear flirtatious undertone.

 

Jihyo doesn’t really answer and leaves it at that, this won’t really go anywhere regardless. They tell the other juniors, clearly bored with how their senior has been trying to butter her way to the congressman’s favor, that they got everything they needed and would be heading back. The girls light up like a christmas tree when they are told by their senior they should catch a ride with detective Park and update the board. Yugyeom fails to suppress a snort when his senior tells them to follow and leaves just like that.

 

Once they do get back, it’s already lunch time, Yugyeom and Yuna are sent to get some lunch, that seemed to be some sort of sign for Yewon to make her move. In typical Jihyo form, she was polite about everything, striking up light conversation, but, as always, the interest vanishes once Yuna is back and the lonely detective sees what she always does. They compare notes, obviously not revealing everything both had observed, then the visiting detectives head back to the morgue and Jihyo asks for another list of exams and left their email addresses so they could get the results as soon as possible and decided to get back to their own precinct. 

 

It was well past seven when they arrived back, detective Jung got a ride with them as well, her car was still there (to her knowledge). There was a quick update with chief Myoui about how things were going, Jihyo still not really wanting to talk to her friends, they were still insistent that it was her fault for everything. Heading out, detective Jung followed behind her, still talking big and asking Jihyo out on a ‘hot date’ as she put it. It was all fun and games until they arrived at Jihyo’s parking spot, that is.

 

“So, I’m sure you will love to go for a ride with me, you are even heading to my ca-”

 

Yerin stops dead in her tracks once she doesn’t spot her vehicle where she left it. Jihyo smiles.

 

“For the nth time, I do not wish to be in contact with you more than I already have to be.” Jihyo scolds, doing her best to fake innocence.

 

“Where’s my car? I’ve been parking here for days, I’m sure this is my spot.”

 

“Oh, that was yours?” Mockery is palpable in Jihyo’s voice. “You see, detective, as a woman of the law, you really should follow it better.”

 

“What?” Detective Jung’s anger starts to boil. “This is my parking spot, where’s my car?”

 

“Oh no, this is MY parking spot, and you do know it’s forbidden to park an unauthorized vehicle in a marked spot. Your vehicle should be at one of MOLIT’s patios for a few hours already, I’m sure you can go there tomorrow and see that it’s released.”

 

“WHAT?” The woman is fuming right now, she just doesn’t beat the other up because there are a lot of officers around.

 

“You, dear detective Jung, have broken the law when you parked in a spot marked for my vehicles, therefore, I registered the infraction and had your car towed this morning.” Jihyo shrugs. “Like I said, for a woman of the law, you should really be following it better.”

 

Yerin is beyond pissed, but she can’t act on her true intentions, especially since she was clearly in the wrong, she wanted to make a point but never thought this would be the comeback the small detective would go for. You see, Jihyo was a nuisance among a few of her batch, those who always aimed for the top never really swallowed her skill, and forever held a grudge about how she always held the highest spot and made it look like it was nothing, honestly, it was because Jihyo just thought it was the least she should be doing. Very few understood that, most didn’t care as long as they passed, but those with something to prove, like detective Jung, took it as an offense and never let go of the grudge, even so many years later.

 

Jihyo smirks as she puts on her helmet and drives off, hoping this would send the message across. She hated entitled people, and this childish display wasn’t anything new. She gets a message once she stops by the supermarket, meaning to grab a few groceries and some more cat sand before she runs out. It was Dahyun asking if she could make it to dinner the next day, Jeongyeon wanted to talk. Jihyo agrees and goes on about her chores. Bbuyo happily welcomes his owner, jumping on Jihyo’s shoulder when she bends down to put her shoes on the rack. The woman laughs easily and stops for a few minutes by the entrance to play with her companion.

 

The next day has Jihyo and Yugyeom taking room E (the very smallest one), at their own precinct, to discuss everything they found and build a profile. It was clear that the Bucheon team didn’t have much and their head detective was more worried about putting in a good word for herself than actually finding out what happened. Yerin didn’t show up at all, her juniors called a few times, but Jihyo just told them they were waiting for the morgue to deliver the test results to proceed. Trully, both were already very advanced in their investigation, the list of names the Lee girl sent was very comprehensive and she had been nice enough to mark everyone who was present the night before the older sister had been found dead.

 

By the first exams to the body and a quick look around the apartment, one could conclude that it was a murder followed by , but Jihyo knew better, and Yugyeom was learning with his senior that nothing should be taken at face value in this line of business. Once the new reports came in, both detectives had called all who had seen the older Lee that night, nothing much different than what the younger sister reported, two witnesses did say she left with a guy. Nobody really remembered who this guy was, but the found in the body told them it was Dong Sicheng, son of an affluent chinese business family, his mother was an heir and his father worked his way to the top. 

 

Jihyo called and asked to talk to the boy, it was easily agreed, the detectives were told to head to their company and they could talk to the boy in the presence of his lawyers. It wasn’t anything new, so they headed out, just a few questions ready and a request for an alibi if available. Getting there, both are ushered inside quickly, police lurking in the lobby wasn’t good for the company image, they arrive at the CEO’s office, everything is grand and lavish as expected, but neither detective really minded any of the intimidation display, not even the three lawyers standing side-by-side and ready to shut down anything the detectives might request. 

 

A woman was seated behind the big table, who were obviously her husband and son standing behind her and all looking very regal. This could go very easy or very difficult, the detectives hoped for the better result.

 

“Good morning, I’m detective Park Jihyo, this is my partner, detective Choi Yugyeom, we are here to talk to mr Dong Sicheng about ms Lee Chaeyeon.” Jihyo introduces, showing them her badge, followed by her partner.

 

“I’m Dong Song Qian, this is my husband Jaer and our son Sicheng.” The woman introduces cordially. “These are our lawyers and they will be following any conversations you might have with our son.”

 

“Not a problem, ma’am, I only have a few questions.” Detective Park says and gets the go-ahead. “Mr Dong-”

 

“Sicheng is enough, mr Dong is my father.” The boy interrupts, and from the collective chuckle, this family seemed willing to cooperate.

 

“Alright, Sicheng, I heard from various witnesses that you were seen leaving with ms Lee the night before her death” There’s a collective gasp, it seems nobody knew of this fact. “Your was found in her and I came here to hear you out.”

 

“Sicheng, we talked about using protection, especially when you know you have an arranged marriage already agreed upon.” Mr Dong scolds.

 

“Well, we were together that evening, but she was fine when she left my bedroom and drove back to her house. She even sent me a text thanking me for the fun evening.” 

 

The boy proceeds to show the messages exchanged between them. Yugyeom asks to see all the conversation and gets the phone to take notes once the boy hands it over. Jihyo continues with the interview while he’s doing that.

 

“If I may, do you have proof that she indeed was safe and alive as you claim?”

 

One of the lawyers makes to speak, but mrs Dong stops him. “All our residences are completely covered by cctv, I can provide the tapes from my son’s bedroom and all parts of the apartment they both passed through.”

 

“Thank you very much, mrs Dong. I have a few theories, but it will really help us if we can see how she was that night.” Jihyo thanks them. “Honestly, your son isn’t a suspect, the marks on the body prove it was consensual and we only came here because we really need to trace her steps to figure out what happened.”

 

“That’s good to hear, detectives.” The woman says with a light smile.

 

After detective Park’s declaration, everyone seems to relax a lot more. Yugyeom hands back the phone and proceeds with his own questions.

 

“Sicheng, did you see ms Lee consume anything that might have contributed to her demise that evening?” The junior asks. “We promise to maintain your anonymity with these declarations, but we really need to know.”

 

“She was known to ‘party’ with the tough crowd, I have no idea what she had before she walked over and asked if I wanted to get out of there and have some fun with her. I’m a guy, she was a beautiful girl, I didn’t see a reason to not take the invitation, but she was clearly on something.”

 

“Of course, and is there anything else you’d like to say about her that evening? Or in general.” He continues.

 

“Well, I insisted on driving her car that night, I didn’t want there to be an accident and she was adamant she had to take the car. So I left mine at the club, I could go and get it in the morning, and we went to my apartment, it was closer and she said her sister would be home. After we, you know, she was adamant that she had to leave, I was a little drownsy by then and didn’t really pay much attention, so she went.”

 

“Alright, any more questions, detective Choi?” Jihyo asks and Yugyeom shakes his head. “These are our cards, if you can send us all the footage as soon as possible, that would be wonderful. Thank you for your time.” 

 

Jihyo hands their cards to mrs Dong, both detectives bow and leave, soon after there was an email notification that the footage from the Lee apartment had been sent and they headed back to the station to take a look at it. Detective Jung still didn’t show up, Jihyo knew Sejeong would make it very difficult for that vehicle to be released, let alone found in the patio, and if the woman was that passionate about that damn car as she seemed, it was certain she was still trying to get it back.

 

When it got around six, Jihyo told her partner to wrap up for the day so they could head home. Yugyeom knew it couldn’t possibly be someone waiting for his senior, nor would it be Jihyo voluntarily going on dates with anyone, the young detective hadn’t met Bbuyo, so he decided to ask. All this leaving early was very out of character for the workaholic and lonely woman.

 

“You know, all of this leaving early, I’d think you have more important things to attend to.”

 

“Well, Yeom, you should drop by the house sometime, I got the cutest new roommate and I’m sure you’ll love him a lot.”

 

“Oh?” There was curiosity and confusion in the young man’s eyes. Mostly confusion.

 

“Just come by sometime.” Jihyo smiled and left, having already fixed her things.

 

Jihyo got home and was pleased to find her boy napping by the window, the last rays of sunlight bathing him and making Bbuyo look absolutely relaxed. She decided to just take a shower already and get ready for a, very likely, disastrous dinner. Once she stepped out of her bathroom, the cat was already sitting on her bed and waiting for her.

 

“Bbuyo, you know you are not allowed on the bed.” Jihyo scolded and the cat jumped down. “Or any other high surface, for that matter.”

 

The detective just shook her head indignantly but proceeded to get dressed regardless. She was just going over to Jeongyeon and Dahyun’s place, a tracksuit would be enough. The drive was boring, she had managed to evade rush hour getting home, but now was stuck in traffic, at least she was sure her boy was fed and cared for already. It was nice, having another living being to look after, she was even making progress about her continuous heartbreaks, according to her therapist. Getting to her destination, there was another familiar car parked in front, it looked like Sana and Momo couldn’t wait anymore, honestly, it would be easier to just talk to all of them together anyway.

 

“It’s good that you agreed to come.” Dahyun greets, she had been waiting outside since the detective warned her of the arrival.

 

“Well, it’s not like they would stay still for much longer, and you are here, I know you have my back.” Jihyo smiled and hugged her best friend.

 

“How’s Bbuyo? And do you intend on telling them about him?”

 

“He’s doing great, I left him asleep in front of the fireplace. It’s getting chilly lately.” Jihyo informs as both make their way to the front door. “And I really don’t want them knowing about him or my new place yet.”

 

“Gotcha.” The pale woman agrees and opens the door.

 

There was loud chatter, it sounded like everyone was there already, it made sense. Looking back outside, Jihyo noticed the other cars parked across the street, maybe she missed them because she was more distracted with Dahyun waving at her as she parked. It must have been visible that the detective had tensed up, the younger woman held her hand tight and refused to let go as they made their way inside. Once Jihyo stepped into the living room, all conversation ceased and everyone was looking at her tensely.

 

“Well, I’m here.” Jihyo sighed. “Might as well say what you all want to say and we can get this over with.”

 

“It’s not like we don’t want to talk, or-” Jeongyeon started but was cut quickly.

 

“I’m worried about you.” Mina was the one cutting in before more damage was done. “I see you come in, hole up in that room with Yugyeom, discuss the case and gather evidence all day long and just leave once the clock strikes six.”

 

“You were the one who suspended me and then brought me back to just have me assist that lovely detective Jung woman.” Jihyo answers dripping sarcasm. “And you all told me over and over again that I take too many hours, now I’m not working enough?”

 

“I never said you weren’t working enough.” Mina deflates. “It’s just, I thought it would be good for you to work with new people, start lightly.”

 

“And the case was said to be an easy solution.” Nayeon piped in, really, the whole station had the same idea about it, Jihyo knew better.

 

“And that is why Jung is stuck for so long. It’s nothing that meets the eye, and I hate that woman with a passion, I’m not cooperating with .” Jihyo spits. “Also, you do whatever you need to, chief Myoui, but I’m almost solving this and you will have me and Choi as the ones responsible for figuring out what happened, I refuse to share any kind of credit with that woman who is more interested in putting in a good word for herself than to solve crimes.”

 

“I’ll get to it first thing tomorrow.” Mina agrees easily, she couldn’t afford to have her friend more angered. “Also, congressman called in for a favor, his daughter wants you for dinner.”

 

“Set the meeting and I’ll be there. Everyone knows our station needs more funds.” 

 

“I HAVE TO SAY IT!” Momo screams, she has to speak up. 

 

“Go ahead.” Jihyo agreed calmly.

 

“I’m so very sorry for everything I said that day. I had no right to do that and I went too far and brought up traumatic events that should not be spoken about without you bringing them into conversation yourself.”

 

“I’m glad you understand how wrong you were and I accept the apology.” Momo lights up at that, Sana as well, Jihyo wasn’t done though. “But, I don’t forgive you. You had absolutely no right to bring up getting a dog when you were the one that triggered the events that got Tan killed. And that will require a lot more groveling for me to forgive. I had to go back on heavy medication because I started getting worse panic attacks after being reminded of that.”

 

“I understand, but do know I’m terribly sorry about all of it.” The older japanese didn’t  even raise her head anymore.

 

“We didn't even know you got worse.” Tzuyu said softly. 

 

“Because meddling with my life and telling me what to do was more important than actually taking the time to ask me about myself wasn’t it.” The small woman has bitterness in each word.

 

“That’s not very fair.” Mina comes in defense of her wife.

 

“You are not chief Myoui off the clock, Mina. You all were more focused on why I didn’t want to stick around and get let down by people that weren’t interested in me, just to feel better about yourselves I might add, than to actually listen to what I was saying.”

 

“I’m not talking as chief Myoui, I’m here as a friend who worries for you!”

 

“Really?” The sarcasm in Jihyo’s voice told all of them that this was escalating way too quickly. “Does anyone except Dahyun know where my new place is? Have any of you stopped to actually listen to what I’ve been saying? Thought so.”

 

“Now, why am I being brought into this?” Dahyun jokes, it works to make the angry cop smile.

 

“Because we both know you’ll love to rub that in their faces every chance you get.” The detective snorts a little. “Everyone knows you get a kick out of being the favorite and being able to tell everyone that.”

 

“I’m not gonna lie, that will certainly happen.” 

 

With that, the two shorties burst out laughing, the mood gets lighter merely because Jihyo chose to allow herself to get distracted. The others take it and try to make things lighter, still, Jeongyeon isn’t budging, she still doesn’t want to get off her high horse and admit she was wrong. Yoo Jeongyeon was never wrong, she knew better and there was nobody capable of convincing her of the contrary. Jihyo saw that, but honestly she was tired and didn’t even want to be here, let alone handle her friends’ . Dahyun’s hand holding hers was a good anchor, however.

 

“Alright, speak up and let’s get this over with.” Jihyo sighs.

 

“You are the one who has something to say.” Jeongyeon bites back.

 

“I certainly am not. But if you aren’t ready to get your together and swallow your pride, then I’ll just head home.”

 

“Right, I keep forgetting that is the one thing you know how to do.”

 

“You have something to say, speak up Yoo Jeongyeon!” The detective is only grounded by her one friend holding her hand at the moment. “You always have that chip on your shoulder about me, so let’s hear it.”

 

“You know what, just leave then.” The taller woman blows up. “Go on and keep shutting the world out. Keep on being that cold you always are.”

 

There is a collective gasp, they all know that if there was one thing Park Jihyo was, it was the gentlest, warmest person they knew. Jeongyeon was always like this, but this time she was taking it a bit too far. Dahyun herself wasn’t that pleased about her wife’s behaviour, maybe she’ll spend the week with her friend and let the woman rethink things on her own. 

 

“Maybe I will. It’s what got you to leave me waiting in a restaurant that was too expensive for me to afford, while you were taking out someone else. I really did feel very cold that month, had to stop using the heater to foot the bill. But it didn’t matter that you knew I would be charged just for sitting on the table if I didn’t order anything. It also didn’t matter that I was just a new recruit and had spent most of what I had studying to pass the test.”

 

Now, this was something that only Jeongyeon and Jihyo knew, but if the woman was about to keep painting herself as a saint, might as well let out all her sins. It’s time the others stop trying to get her to Jeongyeon’s boots whenever the woman was in the wrong. 

 

“Why are you bringing out the past? That was years ago, I’m married now. Move the on!” Jeongyeon scoffs.

 

“Because, Yoo Jeongyeon, you are an , and it’s past the time everyone here learns just how big of an you really are. I don’t care about you at all, if I had to choose today, I’d take Dahyun.”

 

“Awn, I’m honored.” Dahyun says, managing to get her friend to step back a little.

 

“Now, after that, you came to my apartment the very next day, acting like nothing happened, emptied my fridge, which made me have to stick to one meal a day for the rest of the month as well. But you didn’t really care, you had your perfect date the night before.” 

 

Chaeyoung, Tzuyu and Sana are fully angry now, and it’s something. The detective takes this as an incentive.

 

“And what else happened? Remember all the texts you sent me saying you would meet me after training every day, but ended up going to meet Dahyun and I stayed in front of the academy waiting for nobody? Remember how it rained back then? Yeah, I also didn’t have the money for medicine, so I just grit my teeth and dealt with it. Went to class and through the training, only eating the small lunch they gave us because that would be it for the day.”

 

“What?” Mina blows up. “Academy lunch is purposely small because recruits have physical training in the afternoons.”

 

“Well, the restaurant she left me at was Jihwaja. For someone fresh into the academy, just out of college without loans, money was barely enough. I was lucky that I always paid the bills at the beginning of the month, otherwise I could even have missed rent.” 

 

“She stood you up at Jihwaja?” Momo, the restaurant connoisseur, looked very pissed at that. “Now that was beyond ty.”

 

“Oh, that wasn’t all. If I hadn’t called one time as she was on a date with Dahyun, my contact picture popping up, and then texted asking if she was still coming, I would have never known. Hyun was the one who put two and two together and found me.”

 

“I saw that this girl always called whenever Jeong and I were on a date, then I saw a text saying something like ‘are you still coming’, then I found Ji though facebook and asked to meet up.”

 

“If it wasn’t that, mrs Jeongyeon here would keep me as a side piece in waiting and I’d still keep being stood up.” Jihyo smirks evilly. “But that wasn’t all. I forgave Dahyun because she was the only one person who sat down with me and talked through everything. I told her she could just go for it and, after some grovelling, they worked things out.”

 

“Since that day Jeong keeps acting all high and mighty any time she talks to Jihyo, as if Jihyo was the one in the wrong. She never failed to get herself on this damn pedestal as if she had done Ji many favors and had never been paid back.” Dahyun reveals. 

 

“So, you are the biggest among us, and have been making everyone believe you are this saint.” Nayeon hisses, she never really held back with anybody. “For s sake, Jeong. Get that stick off your and admit that you were wrong and work your way from there.”

 

“Oh, like you all are so primorous yourselves.” Jeongyeon scoffs. “We all met her the same way. Don’t come pointing fingers at me.”

 

“WE ALL RECOGNIZED OUR MISTAKES AND ARE WORKING THROUGH THEM, YOU TWIT!” Tzuyu loses it. “All of us, every single one, we have admitted to our mistakes, apologised, meant it and asked for a chance. Now stop being this spoiled brat and learn to own up to your !”

 

“Well, I guess I’ll just leave you for some time to reflect.” Dahyun breaks the silence. “I’ll stay at Jihyo’s and you stay here and maybe check yourself. Everyone else, you can stay and have dinner, but it’s better if Jihyo goes.”

 

“I’ll wait for you to pack and we can go.” Jihyo agrees. “Well, this was….” She gestures to the others but just leaves it at that.

 

Jihyo goes back and slips her shoes in quickly. Making her way to her baby and pulling out the extra helmet, it usually stayed in one of the side bags, securely strapped. It was a bit of work, but it gave her an excuse to ignore Mina and Tzuyu leaving. Dahyun didn’t take too long, she just took some work clothes, toiletries and underwear, she decided to just borrow everything else from Jihyo. They were about the same size anyway.

 

“Well, you are already familiar so just do your thing. I’ll go and remove the tracker Mina sneaked into my baby.” Jihyo says after she opens the door.

 

“What? And you didn’t do anything about that until now?”

 

“They were watching, I couldn’t really show I knew it was there.” The detective shrugs. “I just turned the jammer on and left it at that. I’ll take my scooter to the entrance and fling it at some car passing by.”

 

“Ew, scooter. What a nerd.” The pale woman said, failing to suppress a laugh.

 

“You just want to ride it right away and are angry that I need it before you can have your fun.”

 

“How dare you!”

 

“Right, just go change and I’ll be back soon.”

 

Jihyo takes the tracker and the jammer, and heads to the entrance. She will just toss the tracker at any vehicle passing by and hope they stop far away from her. How did she know? Simple, her handlebar wasn’t in the same position she left it and there was a fingerprint on her fender. The good part about it being chrome is that anything leaves a trace. From there, it wasn’t hard to guess what happened, and she just played it safe and the jammer that usually stays under the spare helmet. Now, coming back, Dahyun was already changed and waiting impatiently with Bbuyo out front. 

 

“You know you could get something to eat before stealing my scooter.”

 

“You are the one cooking us dinner, I’m going to be out here with Bbuyo and have fun.” Dahyun dismisses as she grabs the scooter and leaves.

 

Jihyo just laughs and shakes her head. “C’mon, buddy, let's get inside.”

 

The cat looks at his human and follows, it was dark out and Bbuyo hated being out in the dark. Jihyo never quite understood that, but didn’t complain either, it was less stressful knowing he would stay inside during the night. While Dahyun had disappeared, she proceeded to the kitchen and whipped up some quick pasta. Not long after she was done, the little rascal came back completely sweaty and looking like she had the time of her life. Jihyo gestured for her to sit down and grabbed their plates.

 

“This is so good! I’m glad we didn’t eat back home.” Dahyun exclaims with full.

 

“Swallow before you speak. But I’m sorry you did all that for nothing.”

 

“It wasn’t for nothing, Jeong will make her lunchboxes and then put it all in the fridge.”

 

“Why did you come over, though? It’s not like this is the first time you heard everything.” 

 

“I needed some time away, and Jeong won’t ever get over herself if I’m there. She thinks I’m agreeing with her attitude if I stay home.”

 

“Well, speaking of you staying over, you’ll be using my car, right?”

 

“Yup, and I’ll be wondering why the hell do you insist on having a mini.”

 

“It’s not about the size!” Jihyo defends her car as the other laugh. “And you’ll have a much easier time finding a parking space with it.”

 

“You do know we have allocated spots for teachers right?!” Dahyun grins.

 

“Then you can walk there.”

 

“Noooo, please, I’m sorry.” Dahyun starts begging and trying to sweet-talk Jihyo.

 

The detective does her very best to not laugh as she takes their plates to wash. It’s always fun when Dahyun is around, maybe it’s her own loneliness speaking, but she enjoyed having her friend over. They make their way to Jihyo’s bedroom quickly and settle down to watch a movie. Bbuyo settles on his own bed in the corner and all sleep quite well that evening. Next morning, however, Dahyun seems to have enjoyed her friend's bed too much and wakes up late, Jihyo had already prepared breakfast for them and was waiting looking absolutely amused.

 

“Shut up.” Dahyun complains as she sits to eat.

 

“I didn’t say anything. But good morning to you too.” 

 

“This is delicious.” The younger woman grumbles, doing her best to sound annoyed.

 

“Thank you.” Jihyo smiles and gets up. “I have to head out, but you know where everything is. I promise I won’t be late, but you’ll be back first, so just entertain yourself.”

 

“I’ll be fine, and I have Bbuyo. Now go and arrest people.”

 

“You understand that's not exactly what I do, right?”

 

“Don’t care. Now shoo.” Dahyun waves her away.

 

Jihyo laughs but takes her leave, she’s already slightly late. Not really late late, just late for her standards, meaning arriving an hour before she’s really supposed to. And by late, read ten minutes behind her schedule. Once again, that damn car is on her spot, she doesn’t even think about it anymore, just whips out her phone and places a call to Sejeong, this time promising to go out and play billiards if the other woman will make it nearly impossible to recover the vehicle in less than a month. It’s not like they would be going on a date, but Sejeong has been trying to take Jihyo out as an apology ever since things went south, and she is damn well taking this opportunity. If making a car disappear is all it takes, then she’ll make sure that damn thing is in line to be destroyed by the end of the day.

 

The toll truck arrived shortly and Jihyo was able to reclaim her parking spot, covering her baby before heading inside. It’s Jaebum in the front desk today, he greets his senior with a mocking smile and something along the lines of ‘I see another toll truck today’, to which Jihyo tries to look stern, fails miserably and laughs her way to the dressing room. She does see detective Jung talking to chief Myoui, arms flailing, red face and brows in a deep frown. It’s too soon for Mina to have taken over the case, so Jihyo supposes this might be about the car, and how it took her a few days to get it back. 

 

“Park, inside.” Chief Myoui calls as soon as she sees her.

 

“Morning chief, morning detective Jung.” Jihyo greets as she closes the door.

 

“Cut the bull, you are a !” Detective Jung spits.

 

“I’m a what now?” Jihyo feigns innocence easily.

 

“You had my car towed and did something so that I wouldn’t be able to get it easily.”

 

“Detective Jung, you know as well as I do that our parking spots are registered with the town hall. Mine are for my vehicles only. What I did was report your infraction and request the law was followed. Whatever happened between you and MOLIT has nothing to do with me.”

 

“Don’t even try” Yerin seethes. “I know you have a hand in this.”

 

“I do, I just said I reported your infraction! Look, detective Jung, with all due respect, you are a woman of the law. We, as the hand of the law, should be the first ones to follow it. You were infringing the law and I made sure you would face the consequences for it.”

 

“Yeah, yeah. All I heard is you admitting to being a and doing something to get my car lost.”

 

“Detective Jung, I can’t allow you to accuse our traffic department of being corrupt like that.” Mina is in full chief mode, most fear facing. “As detective Park said, you were infringing the law, she was within her right and duty to report you and have you face the consequences for your choices. Now, you can either be an officer and admit to it, or keep being a brat and get suspended for it.”

 

“You don’t have the power to suspend me, chief Myoui.” Yerin smirks.

 

“No, but detective Park has leverage with your chief and I have the influence to make sure it will happen. Don’t push it.”

 

“Is there a reason I’m here wasting time, chief?” Jihyo decides to ask.

 

“Apparently, detective Jung here wants you to go back to her headquarters and help with the investigation. That’s what she said before she started trying to justify breaking the law.” Mina explains.

 

“Yeah, my juniors said something about you having better insight or whatever and I said I’d come and ask you to go there again.”

 

“I’ll get detective Choi and we can head out.” Jihyo accepts. “Chief Myoui, I’ll be taking a station vehicle, and please arrange what we talked about yesterday. I have friday booked, though.”

 

Mina understands and just nods. Jihyo does find Youngjae easily, luckily he was at his desk, she really didn’t want Jung snooping through their findings. 

 

“Choi, we’re heading out. Can you get a big one this time? I’ll prepare our bags.” Jihyo calls her junior.

 

“Right away sunbae.” The young man agrees and makes his way out.

 

“You really are a little , you know that.” The visiting detective is still pissed.

 

“Whatever you want to tell yourself, Jung. Just follow the rules, it’s really that easy.” Jihyo shrugs, knowing the woman will get even more pissed by the end of the day.

 

Most like before, Jung hopped onto the backseat, but they had a big car now, she wasn’t as grumpy as the last time. Now, the juniors were way too enthusiastic by Jihyo’s presence, Yuna and Yewon were all googly eyes and giggles towards the legendary and absurdly charming detective Park. They reviewed the case, Jihyo offered a bit more information, Yugyeom followed his senior and added a bit as well, but nothing that would help the other team solve anything on its own. And it’s not like they didn’t want to close this case, but all clearly didn’t want Jung taking the credit for it. 

 

“So, you are saying that there was and you didn’t bother telling us?” Yerin complains.

 

“Like I said, detective Jung, we just asked the coroner about it and went out to talk to the one who produced it.” Jihyo sighs, visiting this topic for the third time. “The Dongs already sent the footage, she indeed left very alive, the boy remained sleeping until the next morning. We watched everything, she consumed nothing at his place, and he was indeed approached by her minutes before they left the club.”

 

“We also checked traffic cameras and her apartment complex cameras and she was well enough to get home on her own, park perfectly and get to her apartment.” Yugyeom adds. “The was honestly just two young and good looking people having a good time together. There’s nothing there.”

 

“Choi, check it again regardless.” Jung orders her junior. “And why didn’t we know about this until now!”

 

“Well, I guess it’s because you didn’t bother asking the coroner.” Detective Park throws noncommittally. “But it’s wasted effort, we checked, the boy has nothing to do with it. Alas, do whatever you prefer.”

 

“I don’t need your input, thanks.”

 

“You didn’t even know about it before our input, detective Jung.” Yugyeom observes.

 

“Why don’t you two just leave now. We got this.”

 

“Can you just write a letter telling us you dismiss our help, then?” Jihyo takes the opportunity. “We’ll be out of your hair then.”

 

“Sure, piss off for half an hour and I’ll handle it.”

 

Jihyo motions her junior to follow, and they leave the room. Both decide to pay a visit to chief Park, informing the man that his detective has just dismissed them and is writing a letter to communicate the decision. Mina had already started transferring the case and chief Park didn’t mind it, not really. He knows his junior, and with whatever chief Myoui told him, he didn’t question it. The letter was just to prove that detective Jung was refusing their input and, with it, their findings to advance the investigation. As they left the office, Yugyeom got a call from his wife, Jihyo told him to go ahead and take it, the young couple had been trying and the wife was getting tested today.

 

“Detective Park, what do you say about going to have lunch with me?” Yewon slithers herway beside the detective and asks.

 

“I’d say it’s a good idea to help our teams interact better.”

 

“I meant you and me alone, sunbae.”

 

“That doesn’t sound very appropriate, ms Kim.” Jihyo tries to find an escape route.

 

“Now, don’t say that, sunbae.” Yewon’s voice is sultry. “I’m sure we can find a lot in common.”

 

“KIM, GO GET JUNG AND BE HERE IN FIVE.” Chief Park shouted from his office door.

 

The young officer scrambled to do as she was told and vanished, Jihyo took the opportunity to go and find Youngjae so they could leave as soon as possible. She already knew Yewon was more interested in her partner, but it didn’t mean that close encounters like this didn’t leave her hot and bothered. She has been alone for too long already, and if this was supposed to be just fun, Jihyo preferred to hire the service, at least that way she could choose what she was in the mood for at the ocasion. 

 

Detective Jung was done with everything soon enough, chief Park filed in the paperwork for dismissing the help, and the visiting detectives left. Yerin didn’t go with them, she was insisting on following the lead Jihyo and Yugyeom just dropped and told her was fully investigated. Guess pride can get the best of anyone. Now, returning, detective Park told her junior they should get some lunch before going back, her treat. So barbecue it was, they couldn’t drink on the clock, but it was nice regardless. Once they do arrive back, they head to room E and bury themselves in all the exams the coroner had emailed during lunch.

 

At the end of the day, Mina asks Jihyo to pass by her office on the way out. It’s about the dinner the Lee girl was demanding. These things were common, politicians would offer a generous donation to get public servants to tend to their wicked needs, and it’s not like this would be Jihyo’s first time, she has been to ‘dinners’ before. Most times they just talk, Jihyo lets whomever she is accompanying touch her gun (unloaded, obviously) and everyone goes home, a few times she’ll have to throw in a and some kisses. It’s all very standard.

 

And why would Jihyo agree with this? Mostly because they always need the extra funding, but also, because she knows all those big names that requested for her hold power, and they could make life very difficult for her precinct more easily than they could make it better. And it’s not like she wants all of them to pay for her refusing to entertain some big name for an evening. Now she’s scheduled to accompany Lee Chaeryoung the following evening, and the girl asked to be picked up on the motorbike, this meant the girl wanted a wild night and it would certainly involve things Jihyo was never very fond of.

 

Dinner was easy enough, letting the girl play footsie with her wasn’t that hard, all the bike rides were alright as well. Being d by the girl sitting behind her was also expected. They made their way to a club just outside Incheon, it was very secluded and held only heirs and their dates, Jihyo knew she wouldn’t be allowed to set foot past the gates if it wasn’t her date. They danced, Chaeryoung got drunk and decided she wanted to be on the dance floor. Usually, this would be a nono, but looking around, the detective could see other rich kids doing it, so she complied. 

 

For everyone else, this whole night was already just treating detective Park as an object, but it was after the third Jihyo gave the girl that she saw she really was there just to be shown off. Chaeryoung’s eyes flickered somewhere behind the detective’s shoulder and it was clear as day that the girl got done with Jihyo. It didn’t really matter that the detective was three fingers deep inside her, the Lee heir lost her interest, she ed and dismissed Jihyo immediately after, saying she would request her driver to take her back later and that she enjoyed the evening.

 

Luckily, Dahyun was already asleep when Jihyo arrived back home. She made her way to the laundry room and threw everything in the washing machine, happy that she chose a denim jacket for the evening, otherwise she would have to get a new leather one. She paddled quietly to the bathroom and the shower, let the water scald her and, if she was lucky, take the filth away. It never really left her, but she tried. The water washed away the tears and she left the bathroom just over an hour later, putting on pajamas and heading to the kitchen to get some hot chocolate. Jihyo wasn’t sleeping this evening and she might as well watch some night tv to pass the time. She did remember to shoot Mina a text, saying she would skip the morning shift the next day, but would be there after lunch.

 

Dahyun left the next morning without many questions, accepting the reasoning that Jihyo would come in later, face value. The detective just wanted to close this case so she could cut any interactions she might have to have with the Lee girl, but couldn’t help herself but stay sprawled on the couch until lunch time, when she made herself get up, eat some instant ramen and head out to work. It’s not like she had much of an option in this, she was only hoping Dahyun wouldn’t find out, she didn’t want to worry her friend. Dahyun did.