Struggles - MiHyo

Everybody loves Jihyo!

A/N: This is what my onseshot My Fellow Kindred was going to be, before I decided to scrap it and start over. Enjoy.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Ugh. I don't think I should have slept, it hasn't even been a century yet. There must be something happening around, the air feels heavy and there is something foreboding lingering just below the radar.

 

Normally, I wouldn't mind it very much, I mean, dealing with these things is the work of the barons. But the prince seems to have gone soft, or she decided to be stupid again and let this thing into my domain. Either way, I think I should go downtown and have a word with that moron, I can't be taking a sleep before it's time.

 

“Mina, could you tell me the schedule for the day?” I know I'm whispering two floors above her, but don't take her skills for granted, she is my most talented childe, so far.

 

“You have two meetings today, and a beneficent visit to the new hospital which you paid for. And that should be about it.” See? I told you she was good.

 

“Thanks, kid. Tell the price we are coming later. I need to teach her some awareness.”

 

“Do you wish for me to state the reason for the visit? Or just tell her we are coming?”

 

“Just tell her we are coming, she might run away if she knows I'm not in a good mood.”

 

“Very well, should I prepare the car?”

 

“When will the meeting take place?”

 

“It is scheduled to start at nine.”

 

“I'll take a walk then, there is still a couple of hours left.” I decide, seeing it’s still six. I enjoy walking around town. This might be a small town, but we are just half an hour away from the capital, and the scene is always different, there is always something new to discover.

 

“Should I proceed to the company, then?”

 

“Go on ahead, I'll get there by myself. Promise to be on time.” I tell her as I'm already going through the door.

 

“Just try not to take another stray. You are a magnet for those.” I just chuckle at her worries and go for my walk.

 

It seems my feet still know the way to the company, I haven't come on my own in so long, usually Mina is the one driving and I take the time to make calls or answer emails, or I'll just drive myself but I take the longer route when I walking.

 

As I step in, I see a young lady, looking very nervous with an envelope in hand and, as discreetly as one can, pacing a bit. My guess, she is an applicant waiting to be interviewed. I have a gut feeling she is going to be a good one, so I decide to talk to her a bit and have her boost her confidence a little.

 

See, being abnormal, I have somewhat of a ‘sixth sense’ about people. I can use clairvoyance, sure, but these gut feelings, if you want to call them that, are more of a passive thing. It happens whether I want it or not, and it's really never wrong, that's how I ended up as the owner of a global fashion empire.

 

Frankly, as times goes by, money is just something that accumulates, I believe that's why Mina always warns me about my habit of helping people. And says I'm just throwing money away, and that I should use it better, guess that's why I gave the hospital enough for them to open an entire new wing.

 

“Good morning, miss?!” I, carefully, say as I approach her.

 

“O-oh, yes, g-good m-mo-morning.” She stutters a little as I seem to have startled her.

 

“No need to be nervous, I just saw you as I was walking in, and you seemed to be very agitated.”

 

“I-I’m here for the internship interview, and the wait is making me nervous. I think I should have gone back to sleep instead of coming early.”  She says while blushing a little. She’s cute, and I’m intrigued by this person. What can I do, sometimes I can’t really control my instincts, they just guide me and I can’t help but follow.

 

“No problem. Tell me, have you researched about the position? Do you know what this company does? Are you confident about your skill?”

 

“Not sure about my skills, but yes to the other ones.”

 

“Then you have absolutely nothing to worry about, just trust yourself and you will be fine.” I smiled at her and she looks a bit better now.

 

“I sure hope so. Thanks, miss…”

 

“Not for that. I have to go in now, good luck on your interview.” I make sure to not tell her my name as I just walk away towards the elevator.

 

The day goes by as expected, just a bunch of -kissing and begging for my money, it has been like this ever since I decided to open my first company. Nowadays it’s getting a bit worse, the vultures are getting better at speaking, and they are ever so insistent on not taking a ‘no’ for an answer.

 

Not that it would work on me, or my beloved kids, we are too old to be swayed by sweet talking or flattery. Not from these type of hyenas, anyways. At least, I get to go and play with the kids at the hospital now, one of the reasons I invest on them, is to be able to go and play with those little balls of energy. This always puts a smile on my face and helps me forget the eerie presence that has been around lately.

 

Maybe this sensations are caused by the new exhibition on the museum downtown, it’s some sort of ancient civilization that was excavated in Honduras and the findings were sent there to be studied. I don’t really want to believe my assumptions on this, because, if I’m right, it won’t end well for those who are not built for it.

 

But these thoughts aside, I have some kids to play with, and nothing will take this away from me.

 

* * *

 

“Time to go and talk to Jeongyeon. Should I send word to Momo?” Mina says as she walks in and gives me the look that says ‘get moving right now, we are late’ and I’ve learned through the centuries that one does NOT question angry Mina.

 

“No need for Momo. Jeongyeon is the one lacking here, either that, or she is letting this happen on purpose, don’t know which is worse.”

 

“You do have a point there. Shall we?”

 

The ride downtown takes about forty minutes, we live a bit far out the city limits. It’s not very wise to have neighbours too close to the house, you know, with the immortal thing happening. At least Jeongyeon has the decency to vacant our parking spot before we arrive, one less thing to ‘talk’ to her about. Well, game face on and time to remind this brat of who she is hosting.

 

“Mina, it’s a pleasure, as always.”

 

Jeongyeon says a bit too joyful for her own good. She has never been shy about wanting Mina to be her new ‘playmate’, I don’t forbid Mina from going out to entertain herself, but Jeongyeon is something different, Mina is off limits for her, as well as my other kids, but she seems to not understand this.

 

“Good to know you still can’t pay attention to your surroundings as you should.”

 

“J-Ji-Jihyo?”

 

“When Mina told you to prepare, did you really think she would come here without my company?”

 

“No-no, not a-at all.”

 

“Well, then, sit down. We have some business to discuss.” I say, sitting on her chair and getting Mina to sit on my lap, I like to make statements.

 

She sits, and I can smell the anger boiling inside her, the wish to jump on me and slash my body with her bare hands. Jeongyeon is wise to not act upon her whims, but foolish enough to have them to begin with, she is very well aware of her powerlessness before me.

 

“What may I assist you with, Jihyo?” Her eyes never leaving Mina, who, now, won’t speak unless I tell her to. Mina, unlike Jeongyeon, chose to accompany me and learn what I had to share, hence, she knows when to silence herself.

 

“Are you really just inept, or are you turning a blind eye to it?”

 

“I beg your pardon?”

 

“I don’t repeat myself, Jeongyeon. And you would be wise to remember it.”

 

“I really don’t understand what you are referring to?”

 

“Tell me, do you really not feel it, or is someone paying you to not notice it?”

 

“I don’t understand, truly.”

 

And, to that, I’m left with no choice but will her to speak. It works as an aura projection, something like expanding my presence and diminishing hers so my will would become her own. When it gets to me using my skills, things go down a path of no return, and I really hate to do this. I prefer for everyone to be honest on their own will.

 

“Tell me, Jeongyeon, what is happening around here?”

 

“Someone bought the space for the artifacts of ‘La ciudad Blanca’. No one knows what was their intent, nor who is financing it, the museum won't pursue any further information, it is research funds. But, ever since the three burial urns arrived, there is danger in the air, just faint enough for the fledglings not to notice, but all the barons and sheriffs are on high alert.”

 

She, then, clenches her jaw, looking exhausted from trying to fight me. Like I said, she can’t resist me, very few can, and it takes everything they have to do so. The conversation goes on with Jeongyeon still trying to fight me and spilling everything nonetheless, nothing that would solve this problem anyhow.

 

“You are done, now, Jeongyeon. Remember to pay a bit more respect to your elders, you are a few centuries too old for this stubbornness to be cute.”

 

“What about I get rid of said elder?”

 

“Come now, you are very well aware you can’t do anything. Remember to tell Nayeon to give up on this idiotic plan of yours when you call her later.”

 

“Did she tell you?” She lets out a sad chuckle.

 

“You should be aware that I don’t need anyone to really tell me anything. I just appreciate honesty. And taking it out of you was just discipline.”

 

That said, I stand up taking Mina on my hands and gently placing her on the ground. Making a point to peck her lips and hold her hands before leaving, releasing Jeongyeon from my hold.

 

As soon as we are driving away from the building, Mina starts talking again. Like I said, she is good, knowing when it’s safe to speak about our matters just adds to it.

 

“You sure like to torture her, don’t you?”

 

“Like you weren’t enjoying that brat being disciplined.”

 

“Can’t deny that. But do you really have to play with her dreams like that? I know she is still young and ambitious, but that should fade sometime soon.”

 

“I don’t enjoy entertaining that type of behaviour. She is almost three thousand years old, it’s past the time for both her and Nayeon to get over the fact they can’t oppose their elders.”

 

“Should we get Jisung to come and have them fall in line, then?”

 

“Sure, I’ll call him myself. Chaeyoung should have a talk with Jisung as well. I’m certain Sana taught Chae well, afterall, she is your childe, but the little one has always been difficult about our ways.”

 

“Sorry about that. My lineage is really a big headache.”

 

“Not at all, look at how Momo turned out. Although she should be the prince, she made a very good point as to why remain as a baron, and has become one of the most powerful leaders in our history.”

 

“Well, every family has a stray, I guess.”

 

Mina chuckles, and we get back to the mansion. I immediately go to my office and place a call to Chaeyoung first, after all, hierarchy should still be followed. And this little one is smart enough to not let it ring more than once, it gives me a bit of satisfaction to see Sana’s hand still weighs heavy on her.

 

“Jihyo, what do I owe the honor?”

 

“I’m not very certain you will like this call at all, since your kids are being naughty again.”

 

“What did those two idiots do this time?” She sighs, as this is too much of a normal occurance for us.

 

“They didn’t do anything yet, but were planning to try and kill me so Jeongyeon could get Mina away from my tyranny…. Again.” I sigh, as Jeongyeon’s greed is always a magnet for trouble, and headaches.

 

“I’ll tend to it, and come down to apologise myself later on.”

 

“Good. Take Jisung with you, he embraced them, after all.”

 

“Will do. We should come to the house tomorrow.”

 

“Good evening.”

 

Hanging up, I let out a small groan, and get to Mina for some release we both need right now. Having to meet the chinese tomorrow will take a lot from both of us.

 

I just hope the italians are not the ones behind what is in the museum, and, even more so, that I’m not correct about who was brought. Whatever it is, I just hope those urns were never open, and what they hold is never awoken. There will be too many complications if any of these happened.

 

* * *

 

“Jackson, I come to announce my presence in your domain.”

 

“I appreciate your respect for our traditions, but you don’t have to do these things, Jihyo.”

 

“How else should I set an example for Mina?”

 

“Is it time yet?” The chinese asks.

 

“No, but I have been blacking out lately. Which brings me here.” The elder huffs in annoyance.

 

“So, we are not the only ones feeling it?” Jackson sounds truly surprised.

 

“Not at all, unfortunately, our current prince has been too preoccupied on getting me killed, rather than tending to real matters.” Jihyo’s voice dripping with mockery.

 

“So, she still thinks our Mina is supposed to be with her and you are blinding her with your powers.” He laughs, looking at Mina for her input on the situation.

 

“She convinced herself I’m madly in love with her and Jihyo is controlling me. Or I’m blinded by her riches. Either way, I’m a damsel in distress.” Mina joins in, laughing as well.

 

“Kids these days are so entertaining.” The foreign leader continues. “On a more serious matter, I hear you made contact with my youngest.”

 

“I did? Also, don’t you, easterner demons, reproduce like the humans or something very similar?”

 

“I’m gonna skip over what you just said and assume you are simply really surprised.” Jackson gets a little offended. “But yes, we do reproduce quite like humans, with a few perks here and there. But our spawn are very much alive when they are born, only receiving the second breath after maturing, if they so choose.”

 

“Ooooh, so you just have kids and they can choose to follow your steps or not.” Mina sounds interested.

 

“That’s the basics, yes. And I just wanted to thank you for talking her through her interview this morning.”

 

“So that girl was Tzuyu?” Jihyo looks amused.

 

“That’s her. I would like to ask for you to care for her over there.”

 

“Naturally, but do remember I don’t play favorites. She will have to earn everything there.”

 

“I couldn’t think you would. Now, back to whatever it is that is bothering us all.” The man suggests.

 

“I have reports saying bloody handprints indicate something came from inside of it. Also, the watchers reported the italians are after the sarcophagus, although I did make sure Gary would keep it between us.” Mina reports.

 

“Which brings us here. I heard there is a Hengeyokai roaming around, and I very much want whatever he knows about the urns.”

 

“I must say, he does not move on my behalf, although he did come an announced his presence on my domain. I can tell you what he knows, as I questioned him about the very same thing.” Jackson says, as he rolls up his sleeve. “You still remember how this works, right?”

 

“I know how to take memories, yes. You kids are getting bolder each day.”

 

As soon as my tongue makes contact to the blood of the eastern demon, a lot happens, his memories flood my brain and make home as they were mine, but this cainite body rejects that foul liquid and I can’t help but let it escape me. Mina, always the efficient one, is fast enough to get a vase so I can relief myself into and not make a mess of the entire hall.

 

“I forget how much damage we can cause you from within.” He laughs. “That vase is two thousand years old, by the way.”

 

“Good, not that old, then.” I try to be snarky, but my voice is already strained.

 

“We should get going.” Mina urges, hoisting me up so we can leave. “The urns will be taken care of, I just need to get some blood in her.”

 

“Send some updates. I know our blood is bad for you, but I’m also an elder to my people. We can’t be too careful.” Jackson asks, guiding us outside and to our car. “Try the red dragon, I’m sure you can woo some girls there.”

 

All I could do was nod, maybe hitting a club won’t be that bad. I just have to be sure to not make any more ghouls, I’m not a fan of the chinese ones, they tend to try and stab you in the back any chance they get. I guess that’s why there are no cainites among them, the Kuei Jin bond demands obedience, very different from ours.

 

* * *

 

The next time I’m in control of myself again is the following night, I can barely remember anything after we left the temple. Some bad tasting party boy, a few flashes of light, some relief coming from my right arm and then nothing. Looking down, I can see Mina gave me some elder vitae, I thought we were out of those, doesn’t matter, it feels like I was hit by a werewolf….. And kept being hit all night long.

 

“The car is ready, you should change.” Speaking of the devil.

 

“Thank you, Mina. For everything.”

 

“What happened to you? Are you planning to die tonight?” She smiles. “I don’t think I really want to step on your shoes this soon.”

 

“Oh, I know exactly who is inside that sarcophagus. I won’t be dying, maybe I’ll be doing some killing, depending on what they have to say when we get there.” I say, already undressing. “Should I take a shower?”

 

“Perhaps. You do still smell like that awful place we had to stop to emergency feed you.”

 

“I’ll be done soon, give me ten minutes. And, get me another bag of vitae, please.”

 

She only nods and walks out, I’ll just wash myself and get this terrible smell of cheap alcohol, cigarettes and desperation off of me. I know I needed it, but my lesson was learned, never visit Jackson without blood bags again. As expected, Mina was already on the driver’s seat of our car, waiting for me to get in so we can end this foolishness and, hopefully, get my prince to pay more attention to what happens in her domain.

 

The ride to the museum was short and silent, I managed to down my elder vitae and Mina just filled me in the day’s activities, getting in, however, was something else entirely. The security was tight, and we don’t need humans prying on our business, the loading deck was the better option, but still heavily secured. Mina and I just make our way through the blind spots, it’s easier if I cloak us both and move through the shadows, and no news of mysteriously dying security guards.

 

Finding the place where the sarcophagus was being stored would have been a challenge had I not been sure of who was inside. Mina was just following blindly, but I’m certain she already smells and feels that brat, despite being on the other side of the storage basement. We could smell those two idiots down here as well, I just scoff and she chuckles.

 

“Those two should start worrying more about their duties than falling for urban legends like this.”

 

“I’m sure they will, at some point.” Mina keeps chuckling.

 

“This point could happen right now. The youngest among them is two thousand and seven hundred years old.”

 

“You do have a point there. Are you telling me who we are meeting, now?” She chuckles and pecks my lips.

 

“You don’t know yet? Think about our last party with the Mayans, that heart ripping fest we had. Everyone danced painted in blue for five days, and we were so drunk on the blood from their volunteers I have a hangover just thinking about it.”

 

“Oh, you mean-”

 

“Yes, now be quiet and let me keep preparing my scolding.” I silence her with a kiss.

 

The two idiots are closer, but I’m sure I can get there before them. Things might get out of hand if they do disturb the brat inside without a backup plan, not that I didn’t want them to suffer, but letting them get killed like this will demand a lot of politics bureaucracy I’m not in the mood for right now.

 

“GET YOUR OUT OF THAT COFFIN AND EXPLAIN YOURSELF, CHONG!” I scream, I know I don’t need to, but I like theatrics.

 

“I think I’ll stay in here until you leave.” Comes the muffled answer.

 

“You can come out or I can let Mina pay you back for the mayan spring break.”

 

At that, Mina smirked evilly, the lid of the sarcophagus shoots open and our favorite problem child crawls out, already pleading for her life. To Mina, I mean. I’m not the one with a grudge about this matter, and, like I said, fear angry Mina if you want to keep your unlife. Nayeon reaches us first, coming to a halt as soon as she sees the sarcophagus open, me looking amused and Mina fuming at another creature that’s kneeling at her feet and begging about something none of us could really understand. Jeongyeon comes right after, bumping idiot two and sending both down.

 

“So, you are finally here.” I greet them.

 

“Come on! We were here first!” Jeongyeon protests.

 

“I know, you were just slower. Good thing too, you both would be a pile of ash by now, had Mina and I not arrived first.”

 

“Doesn’t matter, we are drinking from this ancient and killing you once and for all!” Nayeon dismisses everyone else.

 

“Not a good idea, drinking from her. And whatever old rumor you heard about this drinking from ancients thing, none of them are real, and you will die if you try.” Mina is the one to answer.

 

“We won’t die, that’s nonsense. Come on, lady, give us that old blood.” Jeongyeon steps forward.

 

“These two smell very faintly like you two.” Elkie says, motioning for the idiots, then Mina and I.

 

“They are Mina’s lineage, fourth generation. These idiots believe drinking from older vampires will give them superpowers.” I can only chuckle.

 

“Oh, kiddies, that’s just urban legends spread by junkies. And Mina is right, you will die if you drink from me.”

 

“What?” Nayeon is the one who manages to speak.

 

“You really are idiots, she isn’t even the same as us. When you drink from Kuei Jin, our cainite bodies reject the blood violently, you two not being old enough yourselves will die as soon as it touches your tongue.” Mina explodes.

 

“How do you suppose we kill her, then?” Jeongyeon snaps, pointing at me.

 

“I suppose you stop trying to. Those who can kill her will never move against her. There are very few that could, anyways, and I promise you will have a really hard time trying to meet with one, if they ever give you the time of day.” Chong decides to step in.

 

“But we want to.” Nayeon childishly protests.

 

“Kids, just accept it. That one over there.” Elkie explains gesturing to me. “Could have you both killed before you even notice it. Just stop trying to do things you can’t and be happy she is the nicest antediluvian still alive. Others would have killed you themselves, despite her wishes.”

 

“That is very true.” Mina says. “But, Jeongyeon, I’m with Jihyo because I want to be, just take Nayeon and unlive as best as you can.”

 

Both younglings just turn their heads down. And Mina gives them a moment before continuing.

 

“That also means you would have to kill me as well, I’m the one to take over whenever Jihyo decides to step down. And you both know I’m not nearly as forgiving as Jihyo is about this stupid quest of yours. Now get back to your duties and try to improve yourselves, nobody likes old brats.”

 

That hurt even me, an I’m not on the receiving end. Both just turn on their heels and march out. I’m sure their plans to overthrow me are still there, but we should be good for a few hundred years, having Mina look at you like that does take some time to recover from. Elkie just waits until they are out to turn to us with that very dangerous grin on her lips.

 

“No.” I say before she can utter anything.

 

“Absolutely not.” Mina enforces.

 

“Come on, just trust me. I have the perfect idea.” Elkie goes on with the loveliest voice ever.

 

“We heard this before and things got out of hand in a matter of hours.” Mina protests.

 

“This time I’m sure nothing will get that bad. I’m making a music festival, it’s gonna be huge and we are going to europe for that, I know you both love the eastern european ladies. Trust me, it’s gonna be great.”

 

And she goes out, giddy as ever. Mina looks at me worried and I just shrug at her, Elkie is going to do that no matter what we say, our only choice is to make sure she won’t mess everything up. Last time we left her alone to plan things and we got ourselves more than a few tribes decimated in central america, then she disappeared for centuries and only wakes up to party again.

 

“Let’s go, Mina. You know as well as I do she needs someone to hold her reigns or we will have more than a simple pyramid of bodies in our hands.”

 

“Now I understand why you were sleeping before it was time, and why I was so tired.”

 

“I guess our bodies just react like that to her, already getting tired before she even does anything.”

 

We both just laugh and follow our favorite troublemaker.