Opposites - SaHyo

Everybody loves Jihyo!

 

Most think of them as concepts, others think they are just things that happen, but Life and Death are real jobs, with real people working them. Sure, they are immortal and supernatural beings, but they are people too. As a matter of fact, Life and Death are childhood best friends, who also decided to be neighbors when the time to leave their parents’ houses came, and they share a deep connection that runs thicker than blood, despite being very opposite to each other, at surface level, that is.

 

Life and Death are two softies, big difference is, one had embraced it and the other had insisted on the goth/punk teenage angst phase, they were the most understanding and loving people one could ever come across too, maybe their lines of work gave them an understanding on humanity that none other could ever have. Both were also madly in love with each other, not that they were subtle nor tried to hide it, but neither knew how to properly act on it, and that drove their friends up the walls in frustration, even Mother Nature (one of their closest friends) had placed a snow storm in the middle of summer around their houses to try and get them to do something and it failed.

 

Speaking of Mother Nature, Jeongyeon was, once again, getting a call from the police department in the ungodly hours of the night. Sana had been caught drag racing again, and not the fabulous kind of drag racing, she answered the call despite her foul mood, Nayeon stirring beside her and mumbling something under her breath, the small pause on the call told Jeongyeon her wife had let her powers slip a little in her frustration for having her slumber disturbed. Who knew “Father Time” turned out to be a cute, bratty woman, with the brightest heart-shaped smile and an undying love for children and small animals.

 

Jeongyeon leaves her bed to call the one person with enough patience for Sana’s problems. She didn’t want to wake Nayeon up and some yelling would certainly happen during the call she was about to make.

 

“Park Jihyo, you go down to the police station and get your girl.” Jeongyeon was angry, she whispered-yelled when she was angry.

 

“I’m taking Sana called you again. I’m sorry for that.” Jihyo’s voice never failed to be calm and comforting. “I don’t know why she doesn’t just call me already. Which station?”

 

“Thirty seven, please tell her to stop calling me. She woke Nayeon up.”

 

“I’m sorry for that, I’ll bring you two some cookies later. Now go back to bed and cuddle Yeonnie.”

 

“Will do. And don’t forget those cookies.”

 

Jihyo just laughs and ends the call. She knew how to make Jeongyeon calm down, and her cookies she often stress baked were always a sure way to do it. Nayeon was a chronic insomniac, and their entire friend group knew it, it took her a lot to fall asleep and Jeongyeon would get murderous whenever it was disrupted without unquestionable reason, like their house is on fire or something like that. Sana, however, decided Jeongyeon was her go-to friend to call whenever she got into trouble, and that were a lot of times the woman would call. They had the conversation where Jeongyeon threatened to dismember Sana if she called in the middle of the night again, it seems like it didn’t work.

 

Jihyo sighed once the call was finished, nudged Mr Cuddles out of her lap, the fluffy cat lazily rolling to the side to continue his sleep and got up, she was already in her towel pajamas (pajamas made of towel fabric, yes), face mask and fuzzy socks. She hated having to go out in the middle of her skin care evenings, and it was friday, could Sana, for once in her life, not be the cliche goth rebel and give everyone a peaceful evening. But Jihyo went to her bedroom and changed anyways, her light jeans and purple jumper would be enough, truly, it was the first thing she saw when she entered her room and wasn’t about to think further on the subject.

 

“Minatozaki, someone is here to get you.” The officer called, opening the cell door. 

 

“Thanks, Jay!” Sana chirps, sauntering out and blowing the officer a kiss.

 

“Please don’t show up soon.” Officer Kim begged, this was the woman’s third visit this month.

 

Once Sana got to the reception to get her belongings back, however, her blood ran cold. The thing not many knew, was that Jihyo was a force to be reckoned, that small body could summon so much rage that one would have to want their demise if they placed themselves on the receiving end. That’s the whole reason she calls Jeongyeon, Mother Nature could make her next morning difficult, or get a storm cloud to follow her all through the next day, but she’d be satisfied soon and Sana’s life could go back to normal. Jihyo, on the other hand, knew perfectly well how to punish someone and make them regret their actions thoroughly.

 

“Get your bike out and put it in the back.” Was all Jihyo said before exiting the station.

 

Sana drove a bike around, and after a few times of bailing her out, Jihyo just got herself a truck so she could put the bike on the back and take them home. Most times, Sana was too drunk for Jihyo to let her drive back, and the officers were getting annoyed with having to allow said motorcycle to occupy one of the station’s vehicles spot. So, we have Jihyo changing her cute, beloved little car to a pickup truck too big for her, some would say it looked ridiculous, and he would have to agree with them. But this was for Sana, and making sure the younger woman would get home safe after her wild nights.

 

 Sana fell asleep five minutes into the ride, as anything Jihyo owned, her truck had been fluffed up to the maximum, she had placed seat covers that felt like a warm hug on a winter afternoon, the smell inside was a warm autumn afternoon the kind you’d sleep through under the shade and be completely relaxed. Jihyo herself was comfort and happiness embodied, not that Sana was much different, but the taller woman enjoyed the cold rebel thing she thought she had going on. Arriving, Jihyo gets out of the car and moves to get Sana’s bike out of the back and let her sleep a bit more.

 

Despite their houses having the same front, as it was a pattern for the neighborhood, the insides were polar opposites to one another, Sana’s place had a modern design, clean and all straight lines, everything was black and grey, even Bones, her sphinx cat, looked like Bastet in full animal form (nobody would be surprised if it really was). Everything was imposing and a little cold and detached, like those socialite places that you see in magazines. Jihyo was used to it, though, and made sure to get everything more homey whenever she was over, despite knowing Sana would be complaining the next day while putting everything back in place.

 

Once Jihyo does get Sana to her bed, the taller woman grumbles something about her not leaving, so Jihyo just pushes her beck a little, runs to her place and gets Mr Cuddles, she hated leaving him alone if she could bring him with, and they had a feeling he had something going on with Bones, if the Sphinx showed up pregnant there would be no doubts where she got her litter from. Especially if the kittens came out fat and furry. Plus, Bones always sulked when Sana got home too drunk and didn’t pay attention to her.

 

Jihyo came back and got to work, she brewed some tea for herself, then went to change Sana into her pajamas as she waited for it to be ready, the woman was wearing her beloved leather pants that the shorter one always wondered how she wasn’t sewn into them. There was also the ‘edgelord’ leather jacket she insisted on wearing all year round, saying something about motorcycles and feeling cold, to which our fluff queen called her out on, saying it was 50 ºC outside, no way she was feeling cold in the high of summer. Sana’s pajamas were also ‘edgelord’ material, black silk all day, the smaller woman swore she had seen even a pajama suit in there somewhere. 

 

Next morning comes, and Jihyo isn’t about to wait for Sana to wake up, she untangles herself from the death grip and goes out to make some breakfast, she knew the other wasn’t going to be up before lunch, but she also knew she loved waking up to breakfast, no matter the time of day she got up. Jihyo, then, places some painkillers and two glasses of water on Sana’s bedside table, along with a note inviting her over later for movies and cuddling, then picks up Bones and Mr Cuddles and goes back home, there was a scarf she was close to finish knitting and this was as good time as any.

 

“Come on, kids. Your other mama is out and I’ve got some treats at my place.” Jihyo says to the cats.

 

Mr Cuddles is already rubbing around her legs, and Bones jumps up at the offer. Once they do walk the seven meters to be inside Jihyo’s house, the woman does make good on her word and gives the cats some treats. Jihyo takes a nice shower and slips into another set of towel pajamas, then settles in the living room couch to knit with the cats sleeping beside her, some soft jazz playing in the background and a warm pot of tea on the table near her, it was really nice. After who knows how long, the front door opens to a Sana freshly bathed (she would be looking like the dead otherwise) also in pajamas and holding a bag of snacks. 

 

“Took you long enough.” Jihyo chuckles without looking up from her scarf. 

 

“I had to get myself ready for you. Wax, shower, make sure I’m not smelling like a minibar anymore.” Sana slurs ily. 

 

“That’s nice, sweetie.” Jihyo musters her best grandma voice. “Can you close the door, you are letting the nice, cold air out. And come sit, your head must be killing you.”

 

“And here I thought the grandma was Nayeonnie.” The taller one chuckles but moves to settle regardless, she does run to the kitchen and grabs a mug for herself, not about to miss the tea.

 

“She is.” Jihyo says, putting the about finished scarf away. “But I’ve been waiting for you. Feeling better?”

 

Sana hums in agreement, letting Jihyo wrap her arms around her and pull her close. They just stay there for a while, the taller woman sipping on Jihyo’s miracle tea, and allowing herself to be pampered. Jihyo’s house was all light pastels and everything she owned hugged you perfectly, the couch, the bed, the carpet, the dining room chairs, even the damn breakfast bar stools were comfortable and welcoming, not to mention the perfect lighting all around the house and the carefully balanced temperature that was just at that spot where you can walk around with light clothing but also use a blanket to snuggle i you wanted to.

 

“So, are you going to tell me why you knocked yourself out yesterday?”

 

“Bad day.”

 

“That much I’ve gathered, but talk to me.” Jihyo the other’s hair fondly.

 

“After I dropped you off, I got to the office and started on my list, you know, like we always do.”

 

Jihyo hums to signal she was listening. Despite their careers being complete opposites, both were more similar than anything. They’d get a list of names each day, those arriving for one and those departing for the other, then do a little check on each individual, like their family and (in death’s case) who they were, to better help each individual on their journey, be it arriving or leaving. Then, they’d go back to the office once they are done and file a small report on everyone they’ve been through that day. In Sana and Jihyo’s case, they were life and death themselves, the big bosses if you will, so they not only had their lists, but also fix any issue that might arise.

 

“Then, once I got to the office, I was greeted by one of the managers pacing around in my office.” Sana continues.

 

“That’s never a good sign.” Jihyo offers.

 

“It was a terrible sign. There was a change of plans, something about shifting destiny, you know how messy things get when humans try to meddle with their destinies. And Chris, the manager, told me he had gone to handle two names, twins, and there was one of your boys waiting for him, Jisung, if I’m not mistaken.”

 

“Oh, I remember Jisung mentioning that. He insisted on handling things himself, though, I’m still waiting on his report on the situation, though.”

 

“Yeah, well the situation is that the names were supposed to be ours, the parents made a deal with one of Hyun’s kids and then the names were yours. I’m not blaming Dubs at all, don’t get me wrong, her kid was just doing their job and what are demons without their deals. But humans are just so greedy, and they don’t pay attention to what they are trading if they get what they want.”

 

“I’m sorry, babe. I know how these things get to you. But how about you just come over with Bones and I’ll pamper you until you feel better?” Jihyo kisses the crown of Sana’s head.

 

“I’ll do that, but you know racing is always my first escape.”

 

“I know, and though I know you’ll be fine. I still worry, I hate seeing you get hurt.”

 

“Thanks, love. I promise to let you coddle me next time, which might be monday night because this is still not resolved and I’ll be the one handling things on my side.”

 

“Will it help if I take it over form my side and ask Dubs to do the same?”

 

“A lot, thank you.” Sana mumbles in the crook of Jihyo’s neck.

 

They spend the rest of the evening cuddling and watching classics, Sana’s spirits do lift at some point and they order some pizza and chicken for dinner, it was the definitive cure for the taller one’s hangovers, Jihyo kept some beer on her fridge for her at all times, the shorter one got some wine for herself. The night goes by between giggly whispers and soft kisses, the cats had disappeared a few minutes after Sana arrived, knowing Jihyo wouldn’t mind them spending their time elsewhere, Sana had squirmed to lay down and brought the other woman against her front, holding tight and peppering kisses on her shoulders.

 

“Hyo?” 

 

“Yes, love?” Jihyo is about to fall asleep.

 

“Are- Do yo-” Sana huffs, a little frustrated, she was never good at these things.

 

“Just tell me.” She twists to face the other without breaking their embrace.

 

“Are we girlfriends?”

 

“If you want us to be.” Jihyo chuckles. “I do think we could skip the dating part and just get officially married.”

 

“But I want to take you on dates, and say things like ‘she’s my girlfriend’ when someone tries to hit on you, and just spend more nights like this but still go home the next day so I can miss you all day and call you at night just because I wanted to hear your voice an-”

 

Jihyo interrupts the rambling with a soft kiss, she understood everything Sana was saying, and she wanted those things too. Seems like the blue velvet box will wait in her drawer a little longer, but that was alright, at least she was a step closer to opening it than before. They do make out, though, the pinning has been long enough already, but that’s how farthings went that night, Sana was still a little upset and they didn’t need Tzuyu spamming their group chat about their activities, the downsides of having the goddess of love on your close friends. And there was also Chaeyoung, that arrow shooting freak.

 

Sunday was mostly spent in bed, the two women making the most of their day with each other and trying to not think about work. At some point Tzuyu does shoot them a message, seems like she made a new chat with just herself, the couple and Chaeyoung mentioning they already knew (that’s what happens when two gods of love date each other), congratulating them and promising they would keep quiet, to which Jihyo sends them a video message together with Sana, thanking both and apologising for what they were about to “witness”, also advising them to try and shut them out until the next day.

 

To say things got wild and gentle would be confusing, but that’s exactly what happened, Sana was, as everything in her life, intense and reckless, whilst Jihyo was gentle and careful. Regardless, it was beautiful, both knowing exactly what to do and where to go with the other, good thing they were neighbors and the place on the other side of Jihyo’s was empty, or there might have been a few cop cars showing up and asking if they were fine. When monday does roll around, Sana takes Bones and goes home after breakfast, she needed to put on her uniform before going to work, Jihyo took the time to get ready herself.

 

They usually went to work together, one of the driving each week, this week was Sana’s turn. That meant the baby blue sidecar had been firmly attached to her all black ‘edgy’ motorcycle. Jihyo should maybe try to stop calling her edgelord, but it was just so funny and Sana looked the cutest when she was trying to make a point that was her true self and not just being edgy. When Sana comes out, Jihyo is already sitting on the sidecar waiting for her, looking the cutest in her uniform, while Sana looked oh so dashing in hers.

 

“Ready to go?” Jihyo asks when the other gets close.

 

“Not at all, but I’ll have you and Dubs to help me through today.”

 

“I’ll try my best. Oh, and Mina just called, said we are going over for dinner tonight, leave work and get to her place. I don’t think she was asking, so I just said ‘yes ma’am’, she sounded pleased enough.”

 

“You are the best.” Sana chuckles, getting on the bike. “Now put your scythe away, we are going to get traffic if we don’t leave now.”

 

Jihyo does make it vanish, props herself up a little and kisses her girlfriend before settling down and putting the belt on. They leave after that, and Dahyun ends the day not figuring out they were finally a couple. Both had always been mushy together anyways.