Chapter 28

Now that you are here

Thanks for reading~ This is Wonwoo's POV, so I hope you like it even when it's a bit short >.< 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

During the four years he had been Mr. Choi’s assistant, Wonwoo had been witness of the changes in his boss’ life. When he was first appointed as assistant he already knew Choi Seungcheol was dating Yoon Jeonghan. He had been there to supervise the major event that was their engagement in one of the Yoon Hotels and he had been expecting to do the same with their wedding. But with time things changed gradually and after a couple of wedding dates postponements, he was even surer about his assumptions. What had started with almost everyday requests from his boss about restaurant reservations and pick-ups from a certain Yoon Hotel to go to work, had transformed into zero requests when it involved his personal relationship with the heir of Yoon Hotels and he only addressed the other for working matters. Yoon Jeonghan had also stopped his random visits at Choi Company and made appointments with his boss in which he brought his own assistant.

His boss didn’t really show if this change was affecting him as he was always professional when it came to work, so Wonwoo was really surprised to see him spacing out in the office after his return from Busan. From what he knew, Mr. Choi had stayed with his grandmother that was really healthy for her age and Yoon Jeonghan had been in Jeju Island, so even with the big event coming up, there was no reason for his boss to be that lost in his thoughts.

It was not his place to ask personal questions to his boss, but he didn’t have to when at the opening party of the new Yoon Hotel he saw the intense stare his boss gave to a particular guest. He was even prompted to approach the other and when he was introduced as Kim Mingyu’s boyfriend, Wonwoo sensed the troubles approaching. But as his job required, he kept everything he saw or heard in secret, just like when he saw them talking in the balcony, closer than a couple of strangers would stand.

And then the collaboration meeting happened, and Wonwoo kept his emotionless expression even when he saw them introducing each other as if they had never met before and even when his boss followed the other into one of the music studios.

In addition to his boss new habit of smiling at his phone when he received a message, Wonwoo also noticed how the other had started gaining some weight during the months that followed their visit to the music company. And then the rumors started.

From his line of work he met different kind of people, between musicians, models and other people in the entertainment and event management field, and at least one of them was bound to see his boss hanging out with Lee Jihoon. That was the name Mr. Choi had let slip from his lips one time, when until that point Wonwoo had o nly known the other as Lee Woozi. 

The information he had been able to get was that his boss met the producer at his music studio or at a restaurant, and just to be safe he found out that they never visited each other’s houses. He kept all that information to himself as his boss never mentioned anything about the subject, but Wonwoo wanted to know just in case the heir of Yoon Hotels started asking questions.  But he never did, and even when the months (in which his boss seemed to be deliberating about the nature of his relationship with Lee Jihoon) passed, Yoon Jeonghan never approached the Choi Company or called him out about it.

And even when at the beginning Wonwoo had also been a bit confused about what his boss was looking for in Lee Jihoon, he knew the other had taken a decision when he persisted in talking to his then still fiancé. There were so many things at stake and maybe that was the reason his boss had taken so long to decide, but Wonwoo wasn’t expecting the breakup to end up in such a downfall.

The disappearance of Yoon Jeonghan, the owners of Yoon Hotels making a scandal at Choi Company, the cancelation of the contract, the despair of the team about that, and mostly the breakdown of his boss at the words of his own father. Wonwoo hadn’t meant to listen to it, but he had heard the harsh words of the general manager of Choi Company towards his son and that made him work even harder to keep the team and his boss from collapsing, after all they had one last event for Yoon Hotels.

And it’s not like he completely blamed his boss for what happened, but he guessed the other could have handled things better before they exploded. And yet, he admired the other’s courage to fight it all and keep his head high even when he received all the blame and also because he pursued with conviction the choice he took. That was why Wonwoo decided to help him, because he had found out Kim Mingyu had moved to Europe after breaking up with Lee Jihoon, but before he could give that detail to his boss the other had ran away.

But maybe the other didn’t need it, as he suddenly informed Wonwoo he would be staying in Busan for a few days and at his return he looked happier than he had seeing him in a while. And to Wonwoo’s expectation the reason behind it was Lee Jihoon. Because as much as his boss tried to hide it, just like in the last couple of months, a few random words or actions showed how much Mr. Choi thought about the producer on an average day.

Wonwoo never talked about everything that happened with his boss, but at some point he knew the other knew he was well aware of the entire situation and let himself be more relaxed when it came to his relationship with Lee Jihoon, as if knowing Wonwoo would be there to support him. And maybe he was right, because Mr. Choi had been there for him too in his dark moments.

Mr. Choi had seen the potential in him as an intern, even when he was usually teased for his serious face and non-expressive speech by the others. And when things got difficult with any client, Mr. Choi was always ready to fight for his team. Wonwoo had been given permission to leave early if he got personal issues to deal with and got many extras in his vacations trips, all of that next to his boss always thanking him for his hard work. Mr. Choi had also tried to matchmake him with a few people that he thought Wonwoo would like, and he didn’t want to be rude, but that wasn’t the most comfortable situation to start a relationship. However, he was still thankful to his boss, and it was a plus to have him happier and working even harder to compensate what his breakup with Yoon Jeonghan left.

Because in the last year their team had struggled to get a new big contract with another hotel, his boss had been constantly clashing with his father, rumors about the failed Choi-Yoon engagement and Mr. Choi’s new boyfriend where everywhere; but even with all that, the smile on his boss face bloomed every time Lee Jihoon called.

And it’s not like they hid their relationship, but they didn’t show it off either. If Wonwoo wasn’t Mr. Choi’s assistant he wouldn’t know much about his boss relationship just like most of the workers in Choi Company. His boss didn’t ask him to make dinner reservations at fancy places, but many had seen the couple eating in small restaurants that people wouldn’t expect a corporate heir to eat in. And even if his boss always left the office at normal hours, Wonwoo knew if the other was going to see Lee Jihoon after work only by seeing his expression as he said goodbye.

But there was something still intriguing him. Yoon Jeonghan had unexpectedly appeared two weeks after the Yoons’ outburst at Choi Company, but Mr. Choi didn’t seem especially shocked with the news, because at one point he stopped his desperate search of the other as if he knew about his prompt return. But also since then he never mentioned Yoon Jeonghan again, and if they met at any event they only greeted each other politely before taking their separate ways.  However, things seemed to be going well for Yoon Jeonghan too, as he had announced the launching of a new branch of Yoon Hotels outside the capital and with a different target market.

“Wonwoo.” His name was suddenly called by no other than Kwon Soonyoung. “Are you going to eat that?” He asked eyeing the meat in the grill with a hopeful expression.

The other’s question returned Wonwoo to the present moment where he was eating dinner with the dancer.

He didn’t know how this sort of friendship with Kwon Soonyoung started. He first met the other when he had been practically forced by the models to go to a club and one of them introduced him to the dancer. Only a month later he found out the other was friends with Lee Jihoon. And the way he found out about it had been in a really awkward situation. Kwon Soonyoung had pestered him all morning with messages about eating lunch together and when they finally got a table, it was coincidentally next to his boss and his boyfriend. They had been all really shocked, but with Soonyoung’s rambling things became a bit more normal. That was until Mr. Choi asked him if he was dating Soonyoung and Wonwoo choked with his food. The dancer had laughed out loud and had winked before saying Wonwoo was obviously crushing on him, but he was hard to get. Wonwoo had glared at him until the end of the lunch, wondering again why he had accepted to give his phone number to the other in the first place.

But in all Wonwwo was enjoying the last few months now that things seemed to be calmer. He just hoped that Mr. Choi didn’t take another groundbreaking decision in a while. So he took a deep breath finally letting his thoughts settle as he grabbed his chopsticks ready to eat.

“So…are you going to eat that or not?”