Supernova

Nephalem

It’s been several days now, since Kai partnered up with D.O., yet he still haven’t know much about him. In fact, he knows nothing at all. Other than his name, Kai absolutely know nothing about D.O., and this situation even made him feeling more frustrated.

 

“Huff…” Kai huffed another deep sigh in his frustration. “Why is it so hard to know anything about him?” Kai mumbling to himself.

 

(Want me to help you?) A voice whisper to Kai’s ears.

 

“No! Stay out of this! I’ll find it out myself.” Kai said grumpily in low voice.

 

(Says Grumpy Kai who spent days together with him, yet still unable to know anything about him at all… Ha ha ha..)

 

Kai didn’t say anything in response, since it’s the fact and he couldn’t deny it, all he could do is frowning.

 

“Morning.” D.O greeted as he entered the station.

 

(Speak of the devil… he’s here.)

 

“Morning, D.O.” Kai springs from his chair and gave his best smile at D.O., only to have no response from him.

 

(Ouch… he’s obviously ignoring you…)

 

Kai slump himself back at his chair, looking more depressed than before, but suddenly…

 

“Morning, Kai.”

 

Kai couldn’t believe it. Did his ears playing tricks on him? Did he just heard D.O’s response to him? No way. Kai turned his gaze to D.O, looking completely mesmerized with what had just happened earlier.

 

“Morning!” Kai said cheerfully. “Did you sleep well last night?” Kai asked.

 

(Did you sleep well last night? What kind of question is that? That was so lame, grumpy Kai.)

 

“Shut up.” Kai hissed back in a very low voice, praying that D.O wouldn’t hear his words. But D.O didn’t say anything back to him, he just went straight to his desk, take off his coat and starts to read his book as usual.

 

“What are you reading?” Kai tried to take a peek at the book title.

 

“Criminal Minds.” D.O said in brief.

 

“That’s one heavy reading to start a day.” Kai furrows his brows together.

 

“It’s much better than some cheesy romantic novels.” D.O shrugged.

 

“So, you didn’t like to read romantic novels then?” Kai asked.

 

“Absolutely not.”

 

“What else did you like? What do you like to drink? What is your favorite color? What do you like to eat?” Kai can’t help himself to ask those questions since he’s desperate to know anything about D.O.

 

D.O closed his book and glare at Kai, the kind of glare which made Kai shivered in fear.

 

“Why the hell do you want to know about all of those trivial things?” D.O asked and looks suspiciously at Kai.

 

“Err… because… because… I want to know more about you.” Kai lowered his head, too freightened to look straight to D.O’s eyes.

 

“And what are you going to do if you knew about it?”

 

“Huh?” Kai didn’t understand what D.O meant with that question.

 

“I said, if you know all those things about me, what are you going to do about it?” D.O explained. “Are you some kind of a stalker?” D.O frowns.

 

“No. But you see…. Since we’re partner… I think… I think… that I should know more about you… as your partner.” Kai stuttered when he tries to explain.

 

“What a lame excuse.” D.O rolled his eyes. “Capuccino, Black, Spaghetti.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“You’ve heard me. I don’t want to repeat my answers.”

 

Kai frowned a bit while he’s recalling what he’d heard earlier. Capuccino, Black, Spaghetti. What’s that suppose to mean? Does it mean that D.O has just answered his questions? Kai’s eyes widened as if its about to plop down from its shell in his disbelief. This can’t be happening, right? Usually D.O would ignore all of his questions, but today he’s actually answered them!

 

“What about—“ Kai brace himself to ask more questions, but it was quickly cut off by D.O.

 

“More questions? Did you have some kind of obssession with me?” D.O rolled his eyes. “When will you let me read in peace?” D.O glared at Kai and made him swallow hard.

 

“Sorry….” Kai lowered his head and said in a low voice.

 

“Enough with your curiousity, okay?” D.O heaved a deep sigh before he open up his book and start to read again.

 

Having nothing to do, Kai browse in his computer, when suddenly his eyes caught a certain folder on his computer. Kai sneakily look at his side to check on D.O. and huffed a deep sigh in relief when he saw that D.O still reading his book. Kai heaved a deep sigh quietly, and start to click on the folder. Kai only had one main goal in his mind.

 

After lots of clicking, Kai finally find what he’s looking for.

 

Address : Hansang Apartment, Tower D, Number 2112

 

(Wow. Grumpy Kai finally take advantage of his job…)

 

“Shut it.” Kai hissed.

 

(And here I thought you’ll never think of it. You’re so slow.)

 

“What are you doing? Are you talking to yourself again?” D.O had paused reading and staring Kai for a while, after he vaguely heard Kai’s words.

 

“Err… Nothing. I’m just browsing over some old cases for my reference.” Kai forced a smile, while cold sweats starts to form on his back.

 

“You’re not looking at some , didn’t you?” D.O asked suspiciously.

 

“Of course not!” Kai retorted strongly.

 

Just when D.O about to respond to Kai, Jae Young approached their desk and place a red folder on their desk. “New case, boys.”

 

“A fire broke out in one apartment in Daehakro-4-gil. The landlord was severely injured and his wife died because of carbon monoxide poisoning. While their son is still unconsicious due to inhaling too much smoke.”

 

“Any suspect?” D.O asked while he scanned over the case report.

 

“Apparently there are no suspect and no evidence could be found since the apartment is totally burned down to ashes.”

 

“What is this?” D.O asked when his eyes caught something inside the folder, a green book.

 

“Oh, that. I think it’s the kid’s journal or something like that.” Jae Young. “I don’t think it’s relevant to the case though, since it’s just some scribbling notes from a kid.” Jae Young shrugged and went back to his office.

 

After Jae Young left, D.O open the green book and read the last inquiry written in the book.

 

Monday
Today is raining hard. Mr. Red could sleep a little longer.

Tuesday
Today I stumble upon a rock and fall again. Luckily, Mr. White was around and helps me.
J

Thursday
Today I’m almost late for school. But Mr. Orange saw me and take me to school. :p

Friday
Dad’s talking with Mr. Yellow again. Dad sounds so mad at him and they argue with loud voices. I’m so scared.
L

 

“What’s with Mr. Red-White-Orange and Yellow?” Kai asked when he take a peek over D.O’s shoulders.

 

“That’s what we have to find out, right?” D.O stated the obvious fact.

 

“But the chief said that it’s irrelevant with the case since it’s just some kind of kid’s scribbling notes.”

 

“It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.” D.O said calmly.

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Kai groaned because he didn’t understand a single words of what D.O were saying to him.

 

D.O just smirked in his response, stood up and went outside.

 

“Hey, where are you going?” Kai hastily grabbed his belongings and followed D.O.

 

Instead of answering Kai’s question, D.O throw his car key at Kai and said, “You—”

 

“—Drive. I get it!” Kai cut D.O’s words and finish it for him. “But I still have to know where we going, right?” Kai grumpily said.

 

“First, the crime scene. Second, the Namsan Hospital.” D.O aswered.

 

“Then, Daehakro-4-gil, it is.” Kai stated as he started the car engine and drive off from the parking lot.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After several minutes of driving, Kai and D.O finally arrived at the crime scene, or what remains of it. Both of them stood still as they see the burned ruins of what supposed to be an apartment, had become a huge pile of ashes.

 

“What now? I don’t think we could find anything from these ruins.” Kai stated his doubt.

 

“Ah, where do I suppose to live from now on?” A young male, looks like a college student, mumbling to himself while looking at the fire remnants. “I wonder where would I find a cheap apartement. Well, I’d better start finding a new apartment soon.” The young man sighed loudly enough to be heard by Kai and D.O.

 

“Excuse me.” D.O said to him. “Did you live in this apartment?”

 

“Who are you?” The young man looked at D.O suspiciously.

 

“Oh, We’re with the police. I’m D.O and this is Kai.” Both D.O and Kai showed him their badge.

 

“Ow, you’re the police officer. “Yes, I used to live here. It may not be the best place to live in, but it’s the best that I could afford.” The young man looked dejectedly at the ruins.

 

What’s your name?” Kai asked.

 

“My name is Yoo Seung Ho. I’m an art college student at Dongguk University.” Seung Ho slightly bowed at Kai and D.O.

 

“Where were you during the incident?” Kai asked.

 

“I was working on my art assignment in my room, when suddenly I smell smoke and I heard Shi Hoo screamed out to me, telling that the apartment was on fire.” Seung Ho said.

 

“Shi Hoo?” Kai asked. “Who’s Shi Hoo?”

 

“He’s one of the other tenants who live in the apartment.” Seung Ho said.

 

“Are there anymore tenants, other than you, Shi Hoo and the landlord’s family?” D.O asked.

 

“Well, other than Park Shi Hoo, there are two other tenants. I think they’re still at Namsan Hospital for their treatment.” Seung Ho stated to D.O. “I’ve just got back from the hospital after being treated there.”

 

“Are they severely injured?” Kai asked with a concerned look on his face.

 

“Not really. We’re all managed to get out before the fire growing bigger, but we barely couldn’t bring anything with us.” Seung Ho looked dejected. “I’m going back here to see if there’s any of my things could have survived from the fire. But I guess it’s just my wistful thinking.”

 

“We’re sorry for your loss.” Kai said symphatetically.

 

“Thanks.”

 

“Do you know anything about the others’ tenants job?” D.O asked.

 

“Not really. I’m getting up early to go to college and most of the time I went back home quite late to meet them in person.”

 

“Last question, where were you staying right now?” D.O asked.

 

“Currently I was living with a friend of mine, only for a little while, until I could find a new apartment for myself.”

 

“Can you write down the address? Just in case, if we need to ask more questions to you.” Kai handed over his notebook to Seung Ho.

 

After Seung Ho writes down the address, he handed it over to Kai.

 

“Thank you for your cooperation.” D.O thanked Seung Ho and leave that place to walk towards the car with Kai.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Namsan Hospital?” Kai asked to reconfirm about where they’re headed to, as soon as he’s in the car with D.O.

 

“Yes.” D.O said briefly.

 

“Buckle up.” Kai said while he starts the car's engine.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Namsan Hospital

 

“Excuse me,” Kai greeted one of the nurse at the nurse station. “May I know the room number of a patient with the name of Kang Da Il and Kang Ji Hyun?”

 

“Are you their relatives?” The nursed asked Kai.

 

“No. I’m with the police. I’m a police officer.” Kai introduce himself and showed his badge.

 

“I’m sorry, sir. But the patients are not in a good condition to anwer police questions. The doctor had ordered them to have a full bed rest and only allowed them to be visited by their relatives.” The nurse explained.

 

“Then, what about the other patients? Their names are Park Shi Hoo, Cha Mu Won and Lee Jae Kyung.” Kai asked again.

 

“One moment, please.” The nurse check on her computer for a while before looked up and said, “They’re in the emergency room. If you just follow the green line over there, at the right end of the corner, you’ll find the emergency room.” The nurse stood up and showed the green line on the floor.

 

“Thank you.” Kai and D.O thanked the nurse and went to follow the green lines and not long after, they find the emergency room.

 

Once again, they head to the nurse station, and repeated all that they’ve done previously, introducing themselves, asking about the other tenants and then the nurse point at their right.

 

“They’re resting over there.” The nurse said to them.

 

After thanking the nurse, Kai and D.O went to the designated area.

 

“Which one of you is Park Shi Hoo, Cha Mu Won and Lee Jae Kyung?” This time, it’s D.O who ask the question.

 

Three palms raised in the air.

 

“I’m Park Shi Hoo.”

 

“I’m Cha Mu Won.” The other one said.

 

“And I’m Lee Jae Kyung.” The last man said.

 

“I’m Detective D.O and this is Detective Kai.” D.O introduce themselves to them. “Do you mind if we ask you some questions regarding to the fire?”

 

“Sure.” Park Shi Hoo answered, while the other two just nodded their head.

 

“Okay. Now, Park Shi Hoo. Where were you when the fire broke out?” D.O asked.

 

“I was having a drink with my colleagues that night. When I arrived at my apartment, the fire had started to spread, but I brace myself to check on the other tenants on the second floor. I knocked on Mu Won’s and Jae Kyung’s door to get them out of their room.” Shi Hoo stated.

 

“You’re having a drink? Did you get drunk?” D.O asked suspiciously.

 

“No. I’m not. I have a good tolerance with alcohol. I’m not easily get drunk.” Shi Hoo shrugged.

 

“Okay. Next question, what did you do for a living?” D.O asked.

 

“I’m a teacher in an all-girl school.” Shi Hoo answered.

 

“Thank you. Next is, Cha Mu Won?” D.O looked at Cha Mu Won.

 

“Yes, officer?” Mu Won responded.

 

“What are you doing on the night of the incident?” D.O asked.

 

“As Shi Hoo was saying, I was sleeping at that time. I’ve been up for several nights without having enough sleep due to my works deadline.” Mu Won stated.

 

“And what did you do for a living?” D.O asked.

 

“I was an office worker in an advertisement company.” Mu Won said.

 

“What about you, Mr. Lee Jae Kyung?” D.O turned his question to Jae Kyung. “What were you doing on the night of the fire incident?”

 

“I was just doing a bit of finishing on my sculptors, when I heard Shi Hoo screamed that fire broke out in the apartment.” Jae Kyung explained.

 

“What did you do for a living?” D.O asked again.

 

“Oh, I’m a wood sculptor. I have a small workshop in Busan, where I sell all of my works.” Jae Kyung responded.

 

“Ok. This question is for all of you.” D.O paused. “Where did you currently lived?”

 

“I’m curently living with my girlfriend.” Shi Hoo answered.

 

“I’m currently living with my parents for a while, just until I could find a new apartment to move in.” Mu Won stated.

 

“I’m currently living at my shop. It’s better than having to bother anyone.” Jae Kyung said.

 

“Alright then. Would you please write down your current address, just in case if we need more information from all of you?” D.O asked.

 

“Sure | Okay | Of course.” All of them answered simultaneously to D.O’s question.

 

D.O turned to look at Kai, who’s been busy writing in his notebook, when D.O asking those questions to them. “Kai?”

 

“Ah, yes.” Kai looked up and hand his notebook over to D.O.

 

“Please write it down here.” D.O gave the notebook to Shi Hoo, then he hand it over to Mu Won and Jae Kyung.

 

“Okay. For now, that would be all from us. Thank you for your cooperation.” D.O said to all of them. “We’ll contact you if we need more informations.” D.O slightly bowed at those men, before he swirled around and headed back to the nurse station.

 

“Excuse me?” D.O asked for the nurse’s attention.

 

“Yes? How may I help you?” The nurse looked up and met with D.O’s gaze.

 

“May I know who’s the doctor in charge of Kang Da Il and Kang Ji Hyun?” D.O asked the nurse.

 

“That would be Dr. Oh Chang Min.” The nurse answered.

 

“May I talk to him?” D.O asked.

 

“I think he’s doing his rounds at this hour. He should be passing by around here any minute now.”

 

“Okay. We’ll wait for him.” D.O said and headed to one of the chairs in the waiting room.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A few minutes later, a man passed by the nurse station and greeted by the nurses.

 

“Good afternoon, Dr. Oh Chang Min.” The nurses greeted.

 

“Afternoon, ladies.” The man responded to the nurses greetings. “How’s my patients?”

 

“They’re doing okay, doctor.” One of the nurse answered. “By the way, doctor, there’s someone asking to meet you.”

 

“Who is it?” Dr. Oh Chang Min looked up from his patients’ medical charts.

 

“They’re waiting for you at the waiting room.” The nurse replied.

 

“Okay. I’m on my way. Thanks.”

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When D.O and Kai saw a young doctor approaching them, both stood up from their seats and slightly bowed to the doctor.

 

“Dr. Oh Chang Min?” D.O asked for confirmation.

 

“Yes. I’m Oh Chang Min.” The doctor nodded at D.O. “I’ve heard that you’re asking to meet me?”

 

“Yes. I’m Detective D.O, and this is my partner, Detective Kai.” D.O introduced himself and Kai.

 

(Whoa. Am I hearing things? D.O actually introduced me as his partner? No way!!) Kai looked at D.O in astonishment, while the target of his gaze seems to ignore him.

 

“Ah, yes, Mr. Officers. How may I help you?” Dr. Oh Chang Ming reached out to shake hands with D.O and Kai.

 

“I was wondering if I could have your permission to see Kang Da Il and his son, Kang Ji Hyun, regarding to the fire in their apartment.” D.O explained.

 

“I’m sorry, but it wouldn’t be possible.” Dr. Oh Chang Min refused to give his permission. “Both of them had entered the hospital in critical condition, and they barely survived. Now, they need full bed rest without any interruption.”

 

“Please, doctor. It’ll only take a little while. I promise we won’t bother them for too long.” Kai pleaded.

 

“Sigh. Okay. You have 10 minutes. No more than that. And if my patient’s condition getting worse, you’re out.” Dr. Oh Chang Min finally decide to give his permission.

 

“Thank you, doctor.” D.O thanked him and headed to the nurse station again, to ask for Kang Da Il’s room number.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After getting Kang Da Il’s room number and knocked twice on the door. D.O and Kai entered the room. Fortunately, when they entered the room, Kang Ji Hyun had already awaked and groggilly looked around the room.

 

“Good afternoon, kid.” Kai greeted him. “How are you feeling?”

 

“Dizzy. Where am I?” Ji Hyun asked Kai. “Are you my doctor?”

 

“You’re at hospital.” Kai answered. “I’m not your doctor. I’m a police officer.”

 

“Oh. You’re Mr. Panda.” Ji Hyun looked at Kai in awe.

 

“Panda?” Kai raised one of his brows at the kid. “What do you mean I’m Mr. Panda? I’m Mr. Policeman.” Kai smiled at Ji Hyun.

 

“Err… I mean… Mr. Policeman. I’m sorry.” Ji Hyun lowered his head, afraid of being scolded by Kai.

 

“Don’t be sorry, kid. It’s okay if you want to call me Mr. Panda. I don’t mind.” Kai smiled. Then he bent forward to whisper to Ji Hyun’s ears. “But you shouldn’t call that uncle as Mr. Panda, or he’ll be so mad at you, and he’ll put you into jail.”

 

“Really?” Ji Hyun looked at Kai in disbelief.

 

“Really. So, don’t do that, okay?” Kai winked at Ji Hyun.

 

“I won’t. I promise.” Ji Hyun nodded his tiny head so hard in agreement.

 

Meanwhile, D.O, who had been silently watched their small conversation, nudged Kai and whispered. “What the hell are you talking with the kid?”

 

“Er.. nothing. Just a small talk. Nothing important.” Kai smirked at D.O, which made him getting a death glare from D.O.

 

“Mr. Panda,” Ji Hyun asked for Kai’s attention.

 

“Yes, kid?” Kai answered.

 

“Is my dad going to be alright?” Ji Hyun asked.

 

“He’s alright. Look, he’s sleeping over there. He’s in the same room with you.” Kai pointed at the other bed in the room.

 

“Mr. Panda, it’s Mr. Yellow who did this. I’m sure it’s him.” Suddenly Ji Hyun said to Kai.

 

“Who is this Mr. Yellow?” Kai asked.

 

“I can’t tell you. I’m so afraid of him. He looked so mean to me.” Ji Hyun looked terrified while he’s fidgeting with his little fingers.

 

“It’s okay, Ji Hyun. I’ll protect you. We’ll protect you.” Kai assured him.

 

“No… he’s so mean. Last week, he pushed my dad to the stairs, just because my dad tried to talk to him.” Ji Hyun explain to Kai.

 

“Why?” Kai asked.

 

“I don’t know. Maybe because I told Dad about him. I saw him digging in the backyard and told my dad about it. Then, my dad tried to talk to him, but he pushed my dad to the stairs.” Ji Hyun looked like he was about to cry.

 

“Ssst… okay… don’t cry. Look, your dad is over there. He’s okay. He just need some sleep. When he wakes up, he’s gonna be alright. You’ve got nothing to worry about.” Kai tries to comfort Ji Hyun.

 

During Kai and Ji Hyun’s small talks, D.O looked around and noticed something on Ji Hyun’s night stand in the room.

 

“What’s this?” D.O asked Ji Hyun.

 

“Oh, It’s my car collection, sir.” Ji Hyun answered while looking at D.O, a bit terrified of him.

 

“Do you like this kind of thing?” D.O asked again.

 

“Yes, sir. I love them.” Ji Hyun’s fear start to fade as he look at his collection. “My dad always gave me one of these on my birthdays.”

 

“I see.” D.O nodded in his understanding while he observe all of the toy car carefully and put it back on its place when he’s done.

 

“Kai, let’s go.” D.O ordered Kai while he’s heading towards the door.

 

“Huh? What? We’re done here?” Kai asked in confusion.

 

“We’re done. We promised not to bother them for too long. I don’t want the doctor to sue me if their condition worsened during our stay.” D.O explained.

 

“Okay.” Kai said to D.O and turned to said goodbye to Ji Hyun. “Ji Hyun, Uncle Panda had to go now. Be good, okay. Get some rest, so you’ll get well soon.” Kai ruffles Ji Hyun’s hair.

 

“Okay, Uncle Panda. Bye-bye.” Ji Hyun waves his little hands and say goodbye to Kai, as he head towards the door, close it behind him quietly, and catching up with D.O who had gone to the parking lot.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Where to?” Kai asked when both of them had been inside the car. “Back to the station?”

 

“No. The cafe.” D.O said in brief.

 

“Which one?” Kai asked.

 

“The one where you found me. I just need to organize my thoughts in a place I’m comfortable with.” D.O said calmly.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After placing their order, D.O went straight to the stage where a grand piano was placed, while Kai widened his eyes in disbelief. 

(D.O’s going to play the piano? D.O could play the piano? Really? No wayyyy!!)

 

At the stage, D.O start to run his fingers on the piano keys, while organizing his thoughts over the case.

 

(A fire broke out in a small apartment. There were four tenants who lived there, along with the landlord’s family. None of the tenants got severely injured, unlike the landlord and his family. Why did someone did that? Is this simply an accident? If it’s not an accident, then, what is the motive behind this incident? Insurance? No, that can’t be. It was a small apartment, even though there’s insurance, it won’t worth much. Then, Hatred? Revenge? Anger?)

 

As D.O re-organize his thoughts, his fingers run smoothly over the black and white keys and creates a beautiful melody to those who’s relaxing in the café, including Kai, who looks mesmerized by D.O’s performance and can’t turn his gaze away from D.O.

 

(It feels like I’m missing something. But what is it? One of them did it. But which one?)

 

D.O seems lost in his thoughts and he’s no longer aware of his surrounding, while more and more people entered the café and look at his performance on the stage with awe.

 

(Red, White, Orange, Yellow… Colors… what does it mean? It can’t be rainbow, since it’s only mention about 4 colors.)

 

(Wait a minute… it can’t be right. Not four colors, but maybe six colors. The kid mentioned something earlier in the hospital. Panda? But it’s an animal, not colors.)

 

D.O. finished his performance in a perfect excellence, and rewarded with the applause of everyone who's inside the café. He stood up and walk towards their table, when suddenly he notice something outside the window and halts his steps.

 

D.O.’s eyes widened while he look outside the window, then suddenly everything starts to make sense.

 

(Panda!!! That’s it! That’s what the kid tried to say to us.)

 

D.O froze for a while, before he started to walk to their table again and sit to sip on his capuccino.

 

(If that’s Panda, then everything’s fit. Now it all makes sense. He’s the culprit!)

 

D.O hastily stood up and almost made Kai jump out of his chair due to his sudden movement.

 

“What the…? Hey, are you okay?” Kai asked while observing D.O.

 

“I’m fine.” D.O smirked. “I’ve just find out who’s the culprit.”

 

“Huh? How? We haven’t got any more clues other than the book.” Kai furrow his eyebrows.

 

“We have enough clues, if we observe carefully.” D.O said to Kai. “Let’s go.”

 

“Where to?” Kai asked.

 

“The crime scene.” D.O said firmly. “We might find the culprit there.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Half an hour later, D.O and Kai had arrived at the crime scene.

 

“Are you sure we will find the culprit here?” Kai looked at the fire remnants of the crime scene hesitantly.

 

“I’m sure he’ll come. He have to come back to get something.” D.O said with certainty in his eyes.

 

Both of them remained silent inside the car, and waiting for the culprit to show up. Only around midnight, they see a slender figure creeping cautiously among the fire remnants, and headed towards the backyard.

 

“Now, Kai! Move!” D.O ordered and both of them stepped out of the car quickly and quietly.

 

D.O approached the slender figure who now had been crouching down and digging for a while.

 

“What are you doing here, Mr. Park?” D.O greeted the figure.

 

The figure looked startled over their presence but quickly recover as he said, “Oh, Mr. Officer. I was just trying to look for my things. Maybe some of my things could have survived from the fire.” The man, who turned out to be Park Shi Hoo, explained.

 

“In the middle of the night?” D.O asked while raising one of his brows. “It’s such an unusual time to look for something, don’t you think? Unless if you don’t want anyone to know about it.” D.O smirked coldly at Shi Hoo.

 

“Err… no… err… actually I need it for my work. The principal wants it on his desk, first thing in the morning.” Shi Hoo stuttered.

 

“Really? Then, let me help you.” D.O smirked. “I’m curious to know what kind of document is it, that made you creep here like a thief in the middle of the night.”

 

“No, sir. You don’t have to do that. I… I… I don’t want to trouble you.” Now Shi Hoo looks terrified.

 

“No… no… no trouble at all. Don’t worry.” D.O said in a cold tone. “It’s one of the police job to serve citizens like you.” D.O smiled at Shi Hoo, but somehow, seeing D.O’s smile send shivers from Kai’s spine to his back.

 

“I…” Shi Hoo seems to run out of excuses and couldn’t utter any words as his response. All he could do is watch D.O crouching down and start digging, while he looked more horrified than before.

 

“Wow. I’m lucky. I had found it, Mr. Park.” D.O said while he unearth his foundings.

 

“T-t-thank you sir. N-now, please give it to me.” Shi Hoo stuttered more and reach out his hand to get the things from D.O.

 

“Now let’s see, what do we have here.” D.O ignoring Shi Hoo’s hands in front of him.

 

“Oh wow. What a lovely pictures. You’re a great photographer, Mr. Park.” D.O said.

 

“What picture is it? Let me see it.” Kai reached out to see the pictures and screamed in shock when he saw the picture. “What the ?” Kai gave deadly glare to Park Shi Hoo, who now looks more anxious than earlier.

 

“You’re a disgusting ert!” Kai yelled in anger. “How could you take this kind of pictures when you’re supposed to be an example and guide them to be a better person? You’re so pathetic!” Kai spat to the ground.

 

Afterwards, Kai moves forwards and handcuffed Park Shi Hoo, while reading his rights.

 

“Mr. Park Shi Hoo. You’re under arrest for premeditated arsons. You have the right to remain silent. If you do say anything, what you say can be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to consult with a lawyer and have that lawyer present during any questioning. If you can not afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you, if you so desire.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Case Closure :

 

Back to the station and Park Shi Hoo has been locked up in the jail, Kai and D.O sits on their own respective chairs. Kai couldn’t help himself to ask, “How do you know that he’s the one who did it?”

 

“Colors.” D.O said in brief.

 

“What about colors?” Kai asked in confusion.

 

“Colors is the key to solve this case.”

 

“How?”

 

“Do you remember about Ji Hyun’s journal?” D.O asked Kai.

 

“Yes. But what’s that got to do with the case?” Kai asked back.

 

“The book is the key to solve this case.”

 

“You’ve said it earlier. But you still haven’t answered my question.” Kai said grumpily and pout.

 

“Okay. What did Ji Hyun writes in his journal?” D.O asked Kai.

 

Kai opened the green book and read Ji Hyun’s entry aloud.

 

Monday
Today is raining hard. Mr. Red could sleep a little longer.

Tuesday
Today I stumble upon a rock and fall again. Luckily, Mr. White was around and helps me.
J

Thursday
Today I’m almost late for school. But Mr. Orange saw me and take me to school.

Friday
Dad’s talking with Mr. Yellow again. Dad sounds so mad at him and they argue with loud voices. I’m so scared.
L

 

“So…?” Kai still didn’t understand what D.O meant, even after he had read Ji Hyun’s entry in his journal.

 

“So… what is Ji Hyun’s precious treasure?” D.O asked.

 

“Huh?” Kai furrow his brows in total confusion.

 

“What—is—Ji-Hyun’s—treasures?” D.O repeated his words slowly, words by words.

 

Kai shaked his head like an idiot, since he really didn’t have any clue at all, not even a bit.

 

“Arrgghh. You’re killing me.” D.O practically yelled at Kai. “Can’t you see the obvious facts here?”

 

“Sorry.” Kai lowered his head, looking so dejected.

 

“Ji Hyun’s precious treasures are his toy cars!! Remember when he said about his toy cars, he looked extremely excited?” D.O stated.

 

“So… what’s that got to do with this case?” Kai still didn’t understand anything.

 

“Oh My God, Kai. Did you really pass the detective’s exam or you just being lucky to pass the exam?” D.O glared furiously at Kai.

 

“….” Getting such furious glare from D.O, Kai couldn’t utter any words.

 

“Look. Try to combine those things in your mind.” D.O tries to explain again. “Cars and colors.”

 

“Cars and colors?” Kai asked hesitantly.

 

“Yes. Cars and colors.” D.O nodded. “When you think of red cars, what comes in your mind?” D.O asked Kai.

 

“Err… sport cars?” Kai answered while raising one his brows.

 

Having heard of Kai’s answer made D.O palmed his face into his hand. “Is that all you can think of? Sport cars? Really, Kai? Is that the best answer you can think of?” D.O asked in disbelief while he’s shaking his head.

 

D.O heaves a deep sigh before continues, “Re-read the journal entry about Mr. Red, and combine it with cars in your mind.” D.O tried to make Kai think harder.

 

Kai did as he told and re-read the journal entry again.

 

Monday
Today is raining hard. Mr. Red could sleep a little longer.

 

“Now, what activity that you didn’t have to do when it’s raining?” D.O asked.

 

Kai only shake his head in confusion, signaling that he still didn’t understand at all.

 

“Watering, Kai. Watering. You didn’t have to water the plant when it’s raining.” D.O practically sceaming into Kai’s ears and almost made Kai becomes deaf.

 

“Oh, I see.” Kai nodded when he finally starts to understand a little bit.

 

“And if you connect water with red cars, what did you think of?” D.O asked again.

 

“Water…red cars… ahhhh… fire truck!” Kai exclaimed.

 

“Finally! It’s about time you get it.” D.O rolled his eyes. “Now, for the second inquiry. What do you think about it?” D.O asked Kai.

 

Kai re-read the second inquiry outloud.

 

Tuesday
Today I stumble on a rock and fall again. I’m lucky because Mr. White was around and helps me.
J

 

“Hm, if Ji Hyun stumble on a rock, it means he got injured. Then… white cars… means…” Kai mumbles while thinking hard.

 

D.O rolled his eyes while waiting for Kai’s answers.

 

“Ambulance?” Kai said with uncertainty laced in his voice.

 

“Perfect!” D.O praised Kai. “Next inquiry!”

 

Again, Kai re-read the third inquiry.

 

Thursday
Today I’m almost late for school. But Mr. Orange saw me and take me to school.

 

“Hm, late for school. School… orange cars…” Kai pondered for a little while.

 

“Oh, School Bus.” Kai exclaimed.

 

“Excellent. You finally get it now.” D.O said with satisfaction.

 

“But I still don’t get it about the last inquiry though. How do you know that Park Shi Hoo is Mr. Yellow?” Kai asked.

 

“It’s easy.” D.O said. “Mr. Red is Seung Ho, since he always gets up early to go to school, so every morning he spend some time to water the plant, hence he is Mr. Red, like a Firetruck. Mr. White is Lee Jae Kyung. Since he’s a wood scupltor, he often got wood scraps stuck in his hands, hence he always carry band-aids around. I even saw several fingers of him got band-aids on them. So, when Ji Hyun stumble on a rock and get injured, he gave him one of his band-aids, hence he’s Mr. White, like an Ambulance. As for Cha Mu Won, I saw bits of his car key, stick out of his pocket earlier in the hospital. Since Ji Hyun said in his journal that he almost late for school, I guess Cha Mu Won was offering him a ride on his car to take him to school, hence he’s Mr. Orange, like a School Bus. And with all of that conclusion, it only left one person behind, and he’s Mr. Yellow.” D.O explained.

 

“Besides, remember what Ji Hyun said in the hospital?” D.O asked Kai.

 

“Which one?” Kai asked in confusion.

 

“He said that he saw Park Shi Hoo digging in the backyard, right?” D.O asked for confirmation from Kai.

 

“I think so.” Kai recalling his memories when he met Ji Hyun earlier.

 

“And what car that functions as a digger?” D.O asked.

 

“Buldozer?” Kai answered.

 

“And what color is a buldozer?” D.O asked again.

 

“Err… Yellow?” Kai answered with uncertainty.

 

“Bingo. Therefore, he’s Mr. Yellow and you’ve got the answers to your questions.” D.O raised one of his brows at Kai.

 

“Wow. You’ve managed to conclude everything, just like that?” Kai whistle in awe at D.O.

 

“Lots of practice and intensive observations makes it perfect.” D.O shrugged nonchalantly.

 

Kai look at D.O in awe. He knows that D.O is good at his job, but he would never have thought that D.O would be this good. The more time he spent with D.O, the more he got infatuated with D.O.

 

“Alright then, Mr. Panda.” D.O stood up and stretched his arms over his head. “I’m off now. Don’t forget to write the case report, okay?” D.O waved goodbye at Kai and headed to the front door to go home.

 

(Huh? Mr. Panda? Me? Mr. Panda? Oh, right. Ji Hyun was calling me as Mr. Panda at the hospital earlier.)

 

Kai froze in his seat and ponder for a while, before a wide grin starts to form at the corner of his lips, because now he knows.

 

Kai finally knows why Ji Hyun called him as Mr. Panda. Before Kai realize it, his gaze had turned to D.O’s direction, mesmerized at D.O’s back in awe, until he turn around the corner, and disappear from Kai’s sight.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------