Red Nocturne of Love

Nephalem

Late that night…

After D.O. arrived at his apartment, he took a shower and went to bed. However, no matter how much he twist and turn on his bed, he couldn’t sleep a wink. The clock had strike to 11 pm, and D.O still wide awake. Despite of feeling so exhausted, physically and mentally, he still couldn’t sleep. D.O stare at the ceiling of his bedroom, while his thoughts starts to wander off, then he grabbed an old psychology book which had been quite worn out due to being read continuously.

 

“Anger is an emotion characterized by antagonism toward someone or something you feel has deliberately done you wrong. It can give you a way to express negative feelings or motivate you in finding the solutions to problems. Excessive anger can cause problems. Increased blood pressure and other physical changes associated with anger make it difficult to think straight and harm your physical and mental health.”

 

“Happiness is used in the context of mental or emotional states, including positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy. Happiness is also used in the context of life satisfaction, subjective well-being, eudaimonia, flourishing and well-being. Happiness in its broad sense is the label for a family of pleasant emotional states, such as joy, amusement, satisfaction, gratification, euphoria and triumph. Happiness can be examined in experiential and evaluative contexts. Theories on how to achieve happiness include encountering unexpected positive events, seeing a significant other and basking in the acceptance and praise of others. However, some other believe that happiness is not solely derived from external, momentary pleasures. Even though there is no evidence of happiness causing improved physical health has been found, according to Laura Kubzansky, a positive relationship has been suggested between the volume of gray matter in the right precunes area of the brain and the subject’s subjective happiness score.”

 

“Sadness is an emotional pain associated with or characterized by feelings of disadvantage, loss, despair, grief, helplessness, disappointment and sorrow. An individual experiencing sadness may become quiet or lethargic, and withdraw themselves from others. An example of severe sadness is depression, a mood which can be brought on by major depressive disorder or persistent depressive disorder. Crying can be an indication of sadness. The brain area that feel sadness is the limbic system. Frontal lobe, parietal lobe, temporal lobe, hypothalamus and cerebro-pontine. Raised cheeks, down-turned lips, furrowed eyebrows is the body signals of sadness, followed by tears. Tears consist of protein substance with 0.9 % more concentrated than sweat. Tears is the strongest body signal in expressing sadness.”

 

D.O heaved a deep sigh as he read those sentences. Actually he read those sentences for thousand of times that he could easily memorized every single one of it.

 

“Don’t forget. Laugh when others laugh. When they cry, that is when you cry.”

 

“Tears, huh? I knew everything about tears, but I never learned how to cry.” D.O mumbles to himself and drowned himself deeper within his thoughts.

 

Riiiiingggg! Riiiinnnngggg!

 

D.O picked up his phone from the night stand and received the phone call. “D.O.”

 

“Soo! Are you still awake?” Kim Bum greets.

 

“Isn’t it obvious? If I was sleeping, would I even bother to pick up your call?”

 

“Right. Right. Well, anyway, it’s good that you haven’t slept yet. Go to Edelweiss Mansion now. We’re having a party here.” Kim Bum said.

 

“Huh? At this late of hour? Why would I do that anyway?”

 

“Come on, Soo. Just come here. Your favorite singer is coming here for the party, you know?”

 

“Yeah, right. As if Jean Luc Picard would go to Korea for his concert. Usually he’s only doing concerts in Europe.” D.O mumbled.

 

“Hey! I'm not lying to you! He’s really coming here. The host of the party is the producer who’s about to sign a contract with him.” Kim Bum retorts.

 

“Is that so? I’ll break all of your potteries’ collection if you lied to me.” D.O threatened. “But as much as I want to meet him in real person, I couldn’t go there.”

 

“Eh? Why? What’s the matter?” Kim Bum asked.

 

“I don’t have my car with me right now.” D.O explained.

 

“What the hell? What happened? Did you got robbed or hijacked?” Kim Bum sounds worried.

 

“As if!” D.O grumble. “I’ve just left it at the hospital due to a case earlier.” D.O sighed.

 

“Then, just go get your car or send someone to get your car and drives here. Why are you complaining about it?” Kim Bum sighed.

 

“The problem is, I give my car key to my partner, and I asked him to get my car for me tomorrow morning.”

 

“What? You got a partner? For real? Since when? You never had any partner that last longer than one day before.” Kim Bum asked in surpise.

 

“Well, things happened, that’s all.” D.O said nonchalantly.

 

“Then, just call him and ask him to bring your car and both of you could attend the party together. Simple!” Kim Bum said firmly.

 

“It’s 11 pm, Kim. He must have been sleeping already.” D.O sighed.

 

“You’ll never know unless you call him, right? Look, I don’t want to hear any excuses, so just call him and be here, got it?” Kim Bum insists.

 

“Geez, why don’t you just pick me up then?” D.O sighed.

 

“It would be a waste of time since your house is in the opposite direction of the mansion.” Kim Bum whines. “Besides, it’s been a long time since I saw you partner up with someone for more than a day. So, I definitely have to meet him!” Kim Bum sounds very excited.

 

“Hmph! You and your idiot reasons.” D.O heaved another sigh. “I’ll call him, but if he’s already asleep, then I won’t go there.”

 

“Just call him already. I’ve got a feeling that he’s still awake.” Kim Bum insists.

 

“I’m hanging up. Bye!” D.O hangs up the phone and browse on his phone book for a while and make another phone call.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Meanwhile at the other part of Seoul, Kai also lying restless on his bed, twisting and turning, unable to sleep. As Kim Bum said, Kai was still wide awake because he’s still overwhelmed with what had just happened to him earlier, to be able to drive D.O home on his bike. He could still feel the warmth of D.O’s body leaned close to his back and made his back felt so hot as if it’s on fire. Moreover, the tingling sensation on his waist, where D.O’s hand wrapped around earlier, keep sending shivers to his spine. In other words, those are the main reasons of Kai’s anxiety, making him unable to sleep.

 

After hundres of times of twisting and turning, Kai give up to sleep and just gaze at his bedroom’s ceiling with a blank expression, while his mind wanders off and replay the previous moments that he had with D.O over and over again. All of a sudden, his cell phone rings. Kai reached out to his phone on the night stand and take the call without even looking at the caller’s ID.

 

“Hello?” Kai greets.

 

“Kai?”

 

“Huh? D.O?” Kai sits up in his surprise. He couldn’t believe that D.O would call him at this late of hour. “What’s the matter?”

 

“Are you sleeping?” D.O asked. “Sorry, if I bother your sleep. I’ll just hang up then.”

 

“No. No. You’re not bothering me at all. I’m not asleep yet. What happened?” Kai said hastily.

 

“Could you drive my car back to my apartment now? I need my car to go somewhere.” D.O said.

 

“At this late of hours? Where are you going?” Kai asked.

 

“The Edelweiss Mansion.” D.O said in brief.

 

“What? That’s quite far from your apartment, right? I’ll drive you.” Kai gets out of his bed and start to change his clothes.

 

“No. It won’t be necessary. It’s late anyway.” D.O said.

 

“That’s exactly why I must drive you there.” Kai insists. “I’ll pick you up in 30 minutes. So make sure you’ll be ready by then!” Kai said before he hangs up the phone, not bothering to wait for D.O’s response.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Thirty minutes later, both Kai and D.O drives off from Hansang Apartment, heading to Edelweiss Mansion. It took them another half an hour to finally arrives at the front gate of Edelweiss Mansion.

 

“Wow, this is one amazing mansion. I never thought that there’s a mansion this big in Korea.” Kai said while whisling in awe.

 

“Looks like it’s built recently.” D.O said in response. “Come on. Let’s go inside.”

 

Knock! Knock! Knock!

 

Kai knock on the front door of the mansion and a moment later, the door opened with a loud creak sound.

 

“Yes? May I help you?” A woman opened the door.

 

“Yes. I’m D.O. I was invited here by Kim Bum.” D.O stepped forward and introduce himself.

 

“D.O? I’m sorry, I don’t think that name was in our guest’s list.” The woman apologized.

 

“Ah. It’s Do Kyung Soo.” D.O corrected and stated his full name.

 

“Mr. Do Kyung Soo? Ah, yes. We do have that name in our list. Please come in.” The woman stepped aside and alowed them to enter the mansion.

 

“Soo! You finally arrived.” Kim Bum greets them. “Let me introduce you to the owner of the mansion.” Kim Bum dragged D.O to climb the stairs, to the reception room on the first floor, and Kai followed them quietly from behind.

 

“Mr. Cho Kyu Hyun, this is Do Kyung Soo, my friend, whom I talked to you about.” Kim Bum introduced D.O to the owner of the Edelweiss Mansion.

 

“I see. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Do.” Cho Kyu Hyun reach out for a handshake.

 

For a moment, D.O flinch at the greetings, but he recovers quickly enough before anyone notice it. “I’m Do Kyung Soo. Nice to meet you too, Mr. Cho. I’m sorry for intruding your private party.” D.O shake hands with Mr. Do with a slight bow of respect.

 

“No. No. Not at all. Any friends of Kim Bum is a friend of mine too.” Kyu Hyun said. “And who’s this young man?” Kyu Hyun directed his question to Kai who has been standing quietly behind D.O.

 

“Ah, I’m sorry. This is Kai, my partner.” D.O introduced Kai.

 

“Partner?” Kyu Hyun furrows his brows. “Partner as if in….that kind of thing? You’re stating it very bluntly, Mr. Do.” Kyu Kyun chuckles.

 

“Ah. No. It’s not like what you think it is. He’s my partner in work. We’re working together as a team.” D.O explained.

 

“I see. I thought you’re partner in another meaning, since both of you look compatible with each other perfectly.” Kyu Hyun laugh outloud.

 

“Ah, let me introduce you. This is Mr. Alec Delacroix. He’s the manager of Jean Luc Picard. And that is Ms. Kang Se Ra, my secretary.” Kyu Hyun pointed at the woman who opened the door for D.O and Kai earlier.

 

“Nice to meet you, sir. I’m Kang Se Ra.” The woman slightly bowed at them.

 

“Jean Luc must be on his way here. I’d go to the front door to wait for his arrival.” Alec stated while he take a glance at his watch.

 

“Then, I’ll accompany you, Mr. Alec.” Kyu Hyun stands up from one of the armchair and said to Ms. Kang Se Ra, “Se Ra, please show our guess around the mansion.”

 

“That’s not necessary.” A beautiful young woman suddenly shows up at the reception room. “I’ll show them around.”

 

“She’s my wife. Baek Jin Hee. She’s the president of the company group. KH Music Publishing.” Kyu Hyun introduced.

 

“Nice to meet you all. Shall we go?” Jin Hee slightly bowed. She take a glance at Se Ra and said, “Please prepare for everything in the kitchen, Se Ra.”

 

With that statement being said, Jin Hee left the reception room with her guests. She leads them to the stairs, heading to the second floor.

 

Meanwhile, at the reception room, “Your wife doesn’t seem to like me, does she?” Se Ra smirks at Kyu Hyun.

 

“You!” Kyu Hyun glared at Se Ra before he left the reception room to join with Alec at the front door downstairs.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

While the group following Jin Hee, Kim Bum nudged D.O. “Hey, Soo. Is that your new partner?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“What was his name again? Kai?” Kim Bum asked to confirm.

 

“His name is Kim Jong In, aka Kai.” D.O stated.

 

“He’s quite good looking for a police officer.” Kim Bum nudge D.O again.

 

“So what? Do you want to change your course from pottery to sculpture and made a statue of him?” D.O said in sarcasm.

 

“Hm. That’s not a bad idea at all.” Kim Bum smirks.

 

“Says a man who spend more time with his pottery than with his girlfriends.” D.O smirks back.

 

“Aw, come on. Just introduce me already. To last for more than a day with you as your partner, I think he’s quite an amazing partner.” Kim Bum grins.

 

“Geez, you!” D.O sighed and turned to Kai who was walking slowly behind them with his heads hangs low.

 

“Kai.” D.O called out for him.

 

Kai raised his head. “Yes?”

 

“Kai, this is Kim Bum.” D.O turned to Kim Bum and said, “Kim, this is Kai.”

 

“Nice to meet you, I’m Kim Jong In. But you could call me Kai.” Kai reach out for a handshake with Kim Bum.

 

“Ah, don’t be so formal with me.” Kim Bum grip Kai’s hand and wrapped one of his arm around Kai’s shoulder.

 

“So, you’re Soo’s partner, right?” Kim Bum said after he pull away. “How could you put up with his annoying and arrogant attitude for more than a day?” Kim Bum raised one of his brows at Kai.

 

“Well, I’m kinda used to it already. Besides, he’s not that annoying at all.” Kai scratch the back of his neck.

 

As they were talking among themselves, they arrives at the second floor.

 

“This is the room right above the large reception hall. Beyond the large reception room, is the piano room.” Jin Hee stated while showing the rooms on the second floor and divert all of their attention back to her.

 

“Wow. How wonderful. You even have a spiral corridor in the house.” Kim Bum whistle in awe.

 

Kai walk towards a shining knight armor which being display at one corner of the piano room. “Wow, this sword looks real.”

 

“Although it’s just a decoration, it’s made of the same materials and it’s in the same way as the real thing.” Jin Hee explain.

 

(In other words, this sword is the real thing?) Kai’s eyes widened in his disbelief.

 

“The room next to the piano room is my study room. Please come this way.” Jin Hee continues taking them around the mansion.

 

“This room also looks very nice. Ah, is this the picture of your wedding? How beautiful!” Kim Bum stated when he saw a wedding picture displays on a bookshelf.

 

“It was taken ten years ago today, in Jeju.” Jin Hee smiles.

 

“We went to the same music club during college. We’re dating for a year and then we got married.” Kyu Hyun added when he entered the room.

 

“Eh, Mr. Cho? I thought you’re waiting for Mr. Picard downstairs.” Kim Bum startled at Kyu Hyun sudden appearance.

 

“I was. But then I felt bad for letting Jin Hee being alone in showing you guys around the house, so I decided to join with you.” Kyu Hyun smiles lovingly at his wife.

 

“Oh my, how I envy you.” Kim Bum chuckle.

 

During their conversation, suddenly the phone in the study room rings and Jin Hee picks up the phone.

 

“H-hello? W-Who is this? Huh? The person hung up….” Jin Hee said in trembling voice.

 

All of a sudden, the phone rings again, but this time, D.O take the initiative to pick up the phone. “Hello?”

 

“Ah. It hung up again. Does this kind of thing happens a lot?” D.O asked Jin Hee.

 

“Yes. In a hoarse, male voice, words like “mon-amie” and “je-t’aime” are whispered.” Jin Hee answered.

 

“When I answer, the phone is hung up immediately.” Kyu Hyun said. “Oh, by the way, along with the phone call, we also received these letters and bouquets of flowers.” Kyu Hyun hand over two letters to D.O.

 

The first letter : “Those who do not realize my love will surely fall to the pits of hell.”

 

The second letter : “The curtains will be opened to commence the party of revenge. Enjoy the party of terror to your heart’s content.”

 

“Do you have any idea of who might be the culprit?” D.O asked Kyu Hyun.

 

“The only ones who know about this party are my wife and me, my secretary, Kim Bum, Mr. Picard and his manager. Those people are scheduled to attend this party.” Kyu Hyun said.

 

“Actually, that’s not all. Together with a letter, I also got these pictures.” Jin Hee hands over several pictures of herself in several places.

 

“Was these pictures taken without you being aware of it?” Kai asked.

 

“This is what I found together with the bunch of marigold that I found at the front door this morning. These pictures seems to have been taken yesterday. I’m scared because I feel like someone’s always watching me…” Jin Hee said in trembling voice.

 

(Marigold? Wait a minute. I think there’s a sentence regarding to flowers in his song, The Red Nocturne of Love. What was it again?) D.O try to remember the lyric of The Red Nocturne of Love.

 

(If I’m not mistaken… The lyrics is… “You left me behind all alone, but I still have not forgotten you. My eyes are always on you. I hear your voice and I am just so delighted. I’ll send you a flower a day. A red rose, a marigold, a lobelia, a bright red dahlia and a love song. You are mine forever.”)

 

“Before you receive the bouquet of marigold, did you receive another bouquet of flowers?” D.O asked Jin Hee.

 

“Before the marigold, I received a red rose.” Jin Hee answered.

 

(After a red rose, it’s marigold, then… the next is lobelia? No way. I hope I’m wrong.) D.O heaved a deep sigh.

 

“Mrs. Baek. Don’t worry too much. Actually, me and Kai are police detectives. We would make sure your safety.” D.O assure the frightened Baek Jin Hee.

 

With that statement, everyone heads back to the reception room in the first floor.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Looks like we forgot to bring out the wine. I’ll go to the wine cellar to get some wine for us.” Kyu Hyun excuse himself and left the reception room.

 

“Then, I’ll go to my room to fix my make up.” Jin Hee also left the reception room and went to her study room upstairs.

 

Kim Bum, D.O and Kai were left alone in the reception room when suddenly there’s a black-out in the mansion. Soon after, in the darkness, they heard Jin Hee’s screaming from upstairs. All of them rushed upstairs to Jin Hee’s room to see what happened to her. However, her door was locked. Along with Kai, D.O kick the door opened by force and see a glimpse of someone strangling Jin Hee in the darkness.

 

“Help!” Jin Hee screams.

 

Knowing there’s a lot of people entering the room, the attacker release his grips on Jin Hee’s neck and run away from the window.

 

Kai hastily head towards the window, only to find that the attacker was no longer around and below the balcony is the sea. “Damn it. Where did he go?”

 

Almost at the same time, the power went back on.

 

“Mrs. Baek, are you okay?” Kim Bum crouch down to check on Jin Hee. “Are you alright?”

 

“What happened here?” Kyu Hyun also arrives at Jin Hee’s room to check on his wife.

 

“Someone must have switched off the breaker. Are you alright, Jin Hee?” Kyu Hyun asked in worried voice. 

 

“S-Someone suddenly attacked me…sob… sob.” Jin Hee said and raised her head. However, she seem very frightened at the sight of another bouquet of flower left on her table.

 

“T-that’s…! No!!!” Jin Hee screams in shock.

 

“It’s a bouquet of Lobelia!” Kai exclaims.

 

(Just as I thought…) D.O huffed a deep sigh. (Rose, Marigold, Lobelia… that means only one flower left, a bright red Dahlia. Then, what would happened after all the flowers received? I have a bad feeling about all of this.)

 

“My eyes are always on you. I hear your voice and I am just so delighted.” Suddenly Ms. Kang Se Ra starts to sing.

 

“Are you saying that someone is threating Jin Hee in accordance of the lyrics of Jean-Luc Picard’s song?” Kyu Hyun asked Se Ra.

 

“It means that someone is stalking your beautiful wife.” Se Ra shrugged with a smirk on her face.

 

“Excuse me everyone. Although I know that all of us are in the midst of a party, I’d like to question all of you.” D.O stated and turned to Kyu Hyun. “Are you the one who the breaker?”

 

“Yes. I the breaker on my way here, since the breaker is at the top of the stairs from the wine cellar.” Kyu Hyun said.

 

“Mrs. Baek, are you certain that you locked the door?” D.O ask Jin Hee.

 

“Yes. Just as I was about to fix my make-up, the lights went out and I was attacked from behind.” Jin Hee stated.

 

“Did you see the attacker’s face?” Kai asked.

 

“No. I didn’t.”

 

“I did.” Kim Bum stated. “I couldn’t see it very clearly, though. But he was wearing a cape and had a facial expression that looked like a foreigner.”

 

“Like a foreigner?” Kyu Hyun asked to reconfirm.

 

All of a sudden, everyone turn their gaze to Alec, since he’s the only foreigner present at the party.

 

“Me? Does it mean all of you think that I did it?” Alec asked in disbelief.

 

“Excuse me, but where were you at that time?” D.O asked Alec.

 

“I went to the front door to meet Jean Luc. Then the lights went out and I came inside because it started to rain. I heard a voice screaming, Help! Then, I came here.” Alec stated.

 

At the same time, Jean Luc Picard has arrived at the mansion. He enter Jin Hee’s room with his clothes completely soaked due to the rain and made everyone turned their gaze at him.

 

“Jean Luc!” Alec exclaims and approach Jean Luc.

 

“There seemed to be no one downstairs, so I come in by myself.” Jean Luc explain his sudden appearance.

 

“Hm, he looks like the attacker.” Kim Bum mumbles.

 

“What? Are you sure?” D.O asked Kim Bum in a low voice.

 

“I’m not absolutely sure, but he did resemble the attacker’s face that I saw earlier.” Kim Bum answered in a low voice too.

 

D.O turned his attention to Kai. “Kai, please take everyone back to the reception room downstairs and ask for their alibis during the black-out. I’ll be there in a moment.”

 

“Got it.” Kai nods and said to everyone in Jin Hee’s room. “Everyone, please come with me to the reception room.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

In the reception room, Kai start questioning everyone’s alibi at the time of the insident.

 

“Where were you when the incident occurred?” Kai asked Kang Se Ra.

 

“I was in the kitchen checking on the cake of which the mistress had baked.” Se Ra stated.

 

“By the way, Mr. Picard, you’re quite drenched, aren’t you?” Kyu Hyun asked.

 

“That’s because I got out of the taxi by the gate.” Jean Luc answered in brief.

 

“Really?” Kyu Hyun didn’t seem to believe it, but he decides not to push any further.

 

Sensing the atmosphere becomes quite tense, Kai decides to speak up. “Well, then why don’t we take a break for a while.”

 

“Then, excuse me.” Jin Hee excuse herself from the reception room and heads to the kitchen.

 

Kyu Hyun worried about his wife’s condition and decides to follow her to the kitchen.

 

“Are you alright?” Kyu Hyun wrapped his hands around Jin Hee and embrace her in a hug.

 

“I’m fine. But, honey, could you please get my medicine in my room?” Jin Hee asked.

 

“Ah, sure. I’ll go get it. You wait here, okay?” Kyu Hyun kiss Jin Hee’s cheek before he went to Jin Hee’s room upstairs.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After Kai leads everyone back to the reception room, D.O stays alone in Jin Hee’s room and start his investigation on the crime scene.

 

(The door of the room was locked. Which means the attacker was already inside the room. Everyone who left the reception hall earlier had the chance to be the attacker. So, who switched the breaker off? Could there be more than one attacker?)

 

D.O went to the balcony to investigate and find several pieces of white rock.

 

(Huh? What is these piece of rocks? The crack is still fresh and there’s more small debris nearby.)

 

D.O continues to look around and notice a scratch under the balcony handrail.

 

(Huh? Is it from here? No. It can’t be. The size is different. Hm, what is this trace? It seems to have been made by scraping a thin string or wire on it.)

 

From the balcony, D.O went back to the room and examine the pictures of Jin Hee.

 

(Something feels off with the picture that was taken last night …)

 

D.O notice that there’s a picture stick out from a book in the bookshelf and decide to take a look at the picture.

 

“Huh? This is the picture of Baek Jin Hee and Jean-Luc Picard. This picture dated ten years ago, just two weeks before Jin Hee got married!” D.O furrows his brows together.

 

While D.O looks at the picture, Kyu Hyun enters the room and notice that D.O still in the room. “What is it? Did you find something?” Kyu Hyun asked while he look at the picture over D.O’s shoulder.

 

“What the hell?” Kyu Hyun exclaims in shock.

 

Seconds later, Kyu Hyun grabbed the picture from D.O’s grip and run downstairs.

 

“Oh. No. This is bad!” D.O mumbles while he also running downstairs to catch up with Kyu Hyun. “Wait, Mr. Cho.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At the reception room downstairs, Kyu Hyun rush inside and throw the picture to Jean Luc. “What is the meaning of this? Did you have a relationship with Jin Hee in the past?”

 

“Stop it!” Jin Hee said.

 

“Honey…” Kyu Hyun retorts.

 

“Dear... It’s true that before I married you, I was dating him. His real name is Yoon Do Hyun, and I used to go out with him. Back then, he was a nameless musician. But on a certain day, ten year ago, he suddenly disappeared. Isn’t that right?”

 

Jean Luc didn’t say anything in response and Jin Hee continues, “When I saw the papers for Jean Luc Picard that we were going to sign a contract with, I was surprised to find that such a coincidene existed. It’s been a long time, Do Hyun.”

 

“Yeah. It’s been a long time indeed.” Jean Luc smiles. However, D.O notice that his smile didn’t reach his eyes.

 

“Ah. I almost forget.” Alec interrupt the conversation and hand over a bottle of wine to Jin Hee. “Ma’am, I have a gift for you. It’s a hand-made wine. The kind of wine that you can not get in Seoul.”

 

“Oh, thank you.” Jin Hee slightly bow and turned to Se Ra, “Se Ra, would you please open this wine for everyone to drink?”

 

“Yes, Ma’am.” Se Ra take the wine bottle from Jin Hee.

 

It only took a few minutes for everyone to have their share of wine and Jin Hee propose a toast. “Now, let’s have a toast. Cheers, everyone!”

 

“Cheers!”

 

After the toast, D.O notices that Jin Hee’s movement looks a bit wobbly, so instinctively he grabbed Jin Hee’s shoulder to prevent her from stumbling, however she spilled a bit of wine on her dress.

 

“Are you okay, Mrs. Baek?” D.O asked.

 

“I’m fine. I just feel a bit dizzy that’s all.” Jin Hee answered.

 

“Oh, right. I just remember that I was baking a cake earlier.” Jin Hee turned to Se Ra and said, “Se Ra, would you mind to go to the basement in the yard and get me the silver tea set?”

 

“Yes, Ma’am.” Se Ra bows slightly and heads to the entrance.

 

“Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ll bring my cake for everyone. Please wait a moment.” Jin Hee smiles faintly before she went to the kitchen to prepare her cake.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Few minutes later, Se Ra came back with the silver tea set. “Excuse me, sir. I found this bouquet of flowers at the entrance.”

 

(This time, it’s Dahlia! As I recall, Dahlia symbolized Betrayal. Damn. It means that the stalker really mimic “The Red Nocturne of Love’s lyrics) D.O furrows his brows together.

 

In the midst of people chattering about the new found Dahlia, Jin Hee came back to the reception room with her cake. “I’m sorry to keep all of you waiting. Here’s the cake that I made. I hope it suits your likings.”

 

All of a sudden everyone becomes quiet and D.O gave a signal for everyone in the room, for not mentioning about the Dahlia to Jin Hee, so she won’t be worried and frightened.

 

After eating the cake and everyone relaxing, Jin Hee suggests, “Doo Hyun, since you’re here in person, may I ask for you to play your music for us?”

 

“Sure.” Jean Luc said.

 

“Then, honey, would you please lead him to the piano room upstairs?” Jin Hee asked Kyu Hyun.

 

“Fine.” Kyu Hyun stands up and lead Jean Luc to the piano room.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

While they were walking, suddenly Kyu Hyun grabs Jean Luc’s shoulder and confront him, “You’re the one who attacked Jin Hee, didn’t you?”

 

“Not again. I’ve already told you earlier, I’ve just arrived at the mansion. I wasn’t even here when she was attacked.” Jean Luc shrugged off his shoulders from Kyu Hyun’s grip.

 

“Other than you, who else could have done it?” Kyu Hyun insists.

 

“I have to make some preparation. Please leave me alone, will you?” Jean Luc sighed.

 

“Oh, so now you’re running away from me, huh?” Kyu Hyun sneers.

 

“Geez. Would you please cut it out!” Jean Luc retorts.

 

Their conversation was loud enough to be heard by everyone in the reception room downstairs.

 

“Looks like they’re having an argument.” Kim Bum said while he looks at the ceiling. “Don’t you think we should go upstairs and check on them?” Kim Bum looks a bit worried.

 

Few minutes after Kim Bum said those statement, everyone in the reception room heard a loud shriek of screaming, coming from upstairs.

 

“That’s Jean Luc’s voice!” Alec stands hastily from his seat.

 

“Let’s go check on them!” D.O also stands up and rushed towards the stair, heading upstairs to the piano room.

 

The minute D.O and the others arrives at the piano room, he was stunned to see what happened in front of him. Jean Luc was lying on the floor on his stomach, covered with his own pool of blood, with a sword stabbed on his back, while Kyu Hyun stands beside him, trembling heavily.

 

“I’m innocent!” Kyu Hyun exclaims.

 

“Jean Luc!” Alec exclaims.

 

“Wait, Alec!” D.O stops Alec from approaching Jean Luc’s body. “From now on, other than me and Kai, no one allowed to enter the piano room.” D.O stated.

 

“What happened?” D.O asked Kyu Hyun while glaring at him.

 

“N-No! I didn’t do it!” Kyu Hyun shakes his head and screams.

 

“Mr. Cho, are you the one who killed Mr. Picard?” D.O asked firmly.

 

N-No! It wasn’t me! I was in the waiting room! Right here! Jean Luc ignored me and went into the piano room alone! When I had no choice and was about to sit in the chair, I heard a thump and a scream. When I went to look, I found he’s dead!” Kyu Hyun explain in panic.

 

“But at that time, everyone else was in the large reception room downstairs.” D.O raised one of his brows at Kyu Hyun.

 

“I told you! I didn’t do it!” Kyu Hyun said desperately.

 

“So, the great Cho family is finished. It’s too bad, chairman. I wonder who will take over the KH Entertainment Group now?” Se Ra sneers.

 

“Then, did you see the killer?” D.O asked calmly.

 

“Well… when I got there, there was already no one inside.” Kyu Hyun said weakly.

 

“Hey, when Jin Hee led us in there, the piano lid was closed, wasn’t it? I wonder if Mr. Picard opened it.” Kai stated.

 

“No. In a room of this size, you can hear the piano well enough without opening the lid. Jean Luc would never open it.” Alec stated.

 

“Come to think of it… the top lid of the piano was open even before Jean Luc came into the room!” Kyu Hyun exclaims.

 

“Which means that the killer could have opened the lid of the piano beforehand to block our view.” Kai added.

 

“Then, everyone, please leave this room and wait in the next room.” D.O orders.

 

“What? Shouldn’t we call the police for this?” Se Ra asked.

 

“Actually, we are the police detectives.” D.O stated and both D.O and Kai shows their badges to everyone.

 

“Kai, please call the station and report about this incident. Don’t forget to inform Baek Hyun to come here and do his job.” D.O ordered.

 

“Got it!” Kai nods and make the phone call while he leads everyone to the next room.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After everyone left the piano room, D.O observes the room thoroughly.

 

(The murder weapon is the knight’s sword.)

 

(Hm… Jean Luc was holding a tuning fork in his hand. I wonder why there are scratches on the tuning fork. Moreover, why is the piano stool falls over there and stuck under the large couch?)

 

D.O continues his observation and head to the window.

 

(Huh? There’s also a scratch on the window frame. It looks like a scratch from a string or something that scraped it. The scratch looks the same as the one from the balcony handrail when Jin Hee was attacked!)

 

During his observation, the back up team and forensic team has arrive at the Edelweiss Mansion. Some of the team remains in the scene for investigation while some of them took Jean Luc’s body for post mortem at the headquarter’s lab.

 

After the forensic team took Jean Luc’s body from the floor, D.O notice something on the floor in the middle of the splattered blood.

 

(A scratch made by the tip of the sword cutting through the floor, was in the shape of perpendicular. This means, the sword fall straight from the ceiling. Maybe…)

 

D.O climb over the spiral corridor of the piano room and observe his surroundings.

 

(Hm? The small chandelier on this side is positioned higher that the big one over there. When we were brought in here, I’m sure it was positioned lower.)

 

(Huh? There’s another scratch here. It looks the same as the one by the window.)

 

D.O wandered around the corridor and approached the lever of the chandeliers.

 

(So, this is the chain that moves the chandelier up and down. I guess it’s easy to roll it up.)

 

D.O’s gaze falls upon a box stuffed between books in the bookshelf.

 

(Huh? Only this box has no dust on it.)

 

D.O opened the box and surprised to see there’s a note inside the box.

 

(The Red Nocturne of Love. This song is a gift that Mr. Picard dedicated to Jin Hee, ten years ago!)

 

D.O closed the box and put it back to its original place. 

 

(Wait a minute. What does this mean?)

 

While thinking, D.O keep looking around and then he sees some red glitters on the piano.

 

(Huh? What’s that on the piano?)

 

D.O stepped down from the spiral corridor and approach the piano.

 

(Is this blood?)

 

D.O sniffs on the red liquid on the piano.

 

(No. It’s not blood, and why there’s also a drop of it inside the piano?)

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

D.O went downstairs and met with Min Kyu and Se Jong, who has arrive at the mansion.

 

“Hey, Min Kyu, you came?” D.O greets.

 

“Yeah. The chief told me and Se Jong to come here to help you.” Min Kyu said. “So, what do you want us to do?”

 

“Hm, for now, could you please help me in looking for a Beethoven’s bust?” D.O asked.

 

“Huh? Now? Where?” Min Kyu raised one of his brows.

 

“The beach.” D.O said in brief.

 

“The beach? Why there?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“Don’t tell me that you already know who’s the killer?” Se Jong said with his eyes widened in disbelief.

 

“Well, I have a suspect, but I still haven’t absolutely certain of it and I don’t have enough evidence yet.” D.O said.

 

“Alright. Then I go to the beach to look for the Beethoven’s bust.” Min Kyu decides. “Come on, Se Jong.”

 

After Min Kyu and Se Jong left to find the bust, D.O went back to Jin Hee’s room for another investigation.

 

(If this piece fits into that part….)

 

(Just as I thought! This is the debris from the decorations up there! That means, The only one who could have committed the murder, is that person!)

 

(Now, the only thing that left is the Beethoven’s bust. If my analysis is correct, Min Kyu and Se Jong would find the bust on the beach.)

 

Few minutes later, Min Kyu called D.O on his cellphone, stating that they have found the Beethoven’s bust at the nearby beach.

 

(Now all the puzzles are complete. It’s time for the closure!) D.O smirks to himself in satisfaction and ask everyone to gather in the piano room.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Case Closure :

 

After everyone had gathered inside the piano room, D.O said, “Regarding to the incidents in the midst of our party here, everyone might think that Mr. Cho Kyu Hyun is the murderer of Mr. Jean Luc Picard. However, after I investigate on the case, I’m certain that he’s innocent.”

 

“But all of us saw him being alone with Mr. Picard in the piano room. If he’s not the murderer, then who is the real murderer?” Alec asked.

 

“The murderer of Mr. Jean Luc Picard is you, Mrs. Baek Jin Hee.” D.O said in a calm voice.

 

“What? Jin Hee?” Kyu Hyun swirl around to face Jin Hee. “Honey? Did you really did it?”

 

“That’s non sense. You’re just making it up. I wasn’t even in the piano room when he died. How could I kill him?” Jin Hee retorts.

 

“Just because you’re not in the same room when he was killed, it didn’t made you innocent, Mrs. Baek. There are so many trick that anyone could set up to kill someone, even when they’re not in the same room with their victim.” D.O shrugged.

 

“I thought you were a great detective, but I guess I was wrong. Do you have any evidence that I did it?” Jin Hee retorts.

 

“Evidence? I’ve got lots of them.” D.O smirks coldly at Jin Hee. “Usually, I don’t like to explain in details since it’s too bothersome, but since it’s quite interesting tricks, then I’ll make an exception for this case.” D.O went to an armchair and sits on it.

 

“Since the details of the tricks might took some time, I suggest that everyone take their seat.” D.O said.

 

As everyone has been seated, D.O starts his analysis. “First of all, everyone, please take a look at the sword scratch on the floor. The angle of the scratch indicates that it fell perpendicularly.” D.O points at a spot on the carpet where Jean Luc’s body was found dead.

 

“Furthermore, there’s scratch on the railing of the spiral corridor by the window and the scratch left on the tuning fork that Mr. Picard was holding. If we connect all the traces left behind, we will discover a certain horrible trap.” D.O said.

 

Everyone in the piano room gasps and D.O continues with his deduction. “As all of you could see, there is a chandelier right above the scratch on the floor. In fact, that is the last point that connects all the traces. The sword that was suspended from that chandelier, fell straight down, pierced Mr. Picard, and left a perpendicular scratch on the floor.”

 

“But, D.O, even if he conveniently stood right under the place where the sword descended, wouldn’t he have been stabbed in the head or the shoulder?” Kai asked.

 

“However, Mr. Picard was lying on his stomach.” D.O stated.

 

“Then, there’s no way it could be done.” Kai said.

 

“The answer to that mystery is the tuning fork and a piano bench.” D.O adds.

 

“Tuning fork and a piano bench?” Alec confused. “Why are those things related to the incident?”

 

“The space between the piano and the bench is only enough for one person. That was the trap. When Mr. Picard came up to the keys of the piano to play, the bench was overturned beside the piano. He also found the tuning fork used to tune the piano on the floor. Well, naturally, Mr. Picard would pick it up.”

 

“I see. If he did that, he would turn his back to the sword.” Kai nods in agreement.

 

“And the tuning fork that he picked up is the most important thing that made the sword came falling unto him.” D.O continues.

 

“This horrible trick was set up by placing a long string through the middle of the sword’s handle, then gathering both sides of the string, and pulling them through the metal structure of the chandelier, by using the railing of the spiral corridor as support. One side was wound once around the large sofa, then the tip of the string was attached to the tuning fork. The other end of the string was left outside the window, with a weight attached to it. Afterwards, Mr. Picard pulled the tuning fork out from under the piano bench and made the string that was attached to the tuning fork, was released by the weight of the sword, and probably, at the exact moment, the heavy sword came falling instantly unto him.” D.O explains. “On the other hand, the fishing line that was holding the sword in place, was pulled by the weight, suspended outside the window and dropped into the ocean below the mansion.”

 

“That means, everyone could do it. Why do you think that Jin Hee is the murderer?” Kyu Hyun retorts.

 

“It’s the same trick used by Jin Hee when she was attacked in her room.” D.O explains.

 

“What? Are you saying that the assault was also a trick?” Kyu Hyun asked.

 

“I’m absolutely certain of it.” D.O said firmly.

 

“But, I saw the attacker. His feature looks like a foreigner.” Kim Bum retorts.

 

“That’s also a trick, Kim. What you saw is not the feature of the attacker, but Beethoven.”

 

“Huh? Beethoven?” Kim Bum furrows his brows in a total confusion.

 

“Yes. A Beethoven’s bust, to be exact.” D.O said. “As you could see in the picture, there should be Beethoven’s bust on the table over there, but now, it’s gone. Mrs. Baek was using a fishing pole, fishing line, a coat and Beethoven’s bust to create her cape phantom attacker. It may looks impossible since the eaves of the balcony stick out more than the railing, but if a fishing pole was used, it’s a simple trick. The end of the string was tied in a loop, with a weight on the other end, and the string was pulled under the railing. Then Mrs. Baek put her finger through the loop in the fishing line and hold it in place, and the trick was done.”

 

“Mrs. Baek pretend to be struggling with her attacker and pull the string, where in a dark room, it looked like the caped phantom fled the crime scene. In other words, the victim and the attacker are one and the same person. The killer switches off the breaker in the corridor, and goes back to her room immediately. Then she locks the door and screams for help. Isn’t that right, Mrs. Baek?” D.O asked Jin Hee.

 

“Honey?” Kyu Hyun turn his attention to his wife in disbelief. “It’s not true, right? There’s no way you would did that, right?”

 

“That’s right. I put on an act, when I pretended to be attacked. However, all the pranks and threats that I have received until now, are a matter of fact. I did all of that because I want you to believe me.” Jin Hee said to Kyu Hyun.

 

“But this trick is not directly connected to the murder of Mr. Picard.” Kai said.

 

“Please recall the trick using the fishing line. The method of throwing the evidence into the sea by using a heavy weight, is exactly the same with the one used with the caped phantom as Jin Hee’s attacker, right?” D.O smirks.

 

“Ah. Now that you mention it. It does look similar.” Kai nods in his aggreement.

 

“Second evidence, Mrs. Baek.” D.O continues. “After we all drank the wine, you pretended to go to the kitchen, but instead, you set your trap up here, didn’t you? By raising the chandelier to the very top, you made it harder to spot the sword, as well as increased its killing power, right?”

 

“You’re really full of imagination, Mr. Detective. Do you have any evidence that I did that?” Jin Hee retorts.

 

“Then, I’d like anyone to take a look at the lid on the top of the piano and the stains inside the piano.” D.O suggests.

 

Kim Bum takes the initiative to check on the piano and see the sparkling red glitters on the piano’s lid. “This… Is this wine?”

 

“Judging from the place where it’s spilled, it must have dripped when she opened the lid. The one who spilled the wine is the killer!” D.O stated firmly.

 

“How can you be so sure of it?” Kim Bum asked.

 

“Because the wine was brought by Alec from France, and it’s not sold in Korea.” D.O said in brief.

 

To confirm whether it’s the wine that he brought from France, Alec approach the piano and taste a bit of the spilled wine. “Yes. This is unmistakably the wine that I brought.” Alec said in his confirmation.

 

“Mrs. Baek, all of us were drinking that wine and you’re the only one who didn’t finish drinking it. After taking a sip of the wine, you lose your balance and spilled the wine to your dress. Probably the spilled wine was left in the gap of your brooch and it spilled out when you opened the lid on top of the piano. Not only you made it look like you were attacked by Mr. Picard, but you also set up that the picture of both of you in the past would be found, and tried to frame your husband, Mr. Cho, who you figured would get angry by it and kill Mr. Picard. Isn’t that right, Mrs. Baek?” D.O stated.

 

“Honey, is that true?” Kyu Hyun looks at his wife in disbelief. Then he remembers something and turn around to face D.O again. “By the way, how are you going to explain the stalker incident before all of this incidents?”

 

“She probably acted it out by herself. The prank call that came a while ago, was probably made by Mrs. Baek from her cellphone.” D.O shrugged.

 

“B-but… why would she killed Mr. Picard?” Kyu Hyun asked.

 

“The date of that picture of Mr. Picard and Mrs. Baek was only two weeks before your marriage, wasn’t it?” D.O replied.

 

“T-That’s ridiculous!” Kyu Hyun retorts weakly.

 

“Furthermore, Mrs. Baek, originally, The Red Nocturne of Love was a song that was written for you, ten years ago.” D.O stated calmly. “At first glance, the song appears to be a love song. But in the language of flowers, Red Roses symbolized burning passion, Marigolds symbolized hopelessness, Lobelia symbolized Malice, and Dahlia symbolized Betrayal. In other words, this was a song of hate, written for someone who had betrayed one’s lover.”

 

Jin Hee huffed a deep sigh before she said, “Yes. On that day, ten years ago, he insisted on not leaving me, so I called him out to a nearby beach and pushed him off a cliff.”

 

“Afterwards, you married Mr. Cho Kyu Hyun.” D.O adds on.

 

“However, Mr. Picard miraculously survived from the fall. Then, he went overseas and adopted a French name.” Kai adds.

 

“When you found out about Jean Luc Picard’s true identity, you think that you had no choice but to kill him again, in order to keep your previous crime from being revealed!” D.O said coldly.

 

“But there’s one thing that I don’t get it though. Why did you try to frame your husband as the killer?” Kim Bum asked Jin Hee.

 

“It was Se Ra’s fault! If I got caught, my husband and the company would be taken away by her! But a man in prison can’t be taken away from me. I was planning to take over the company until he returned!” Jin Hee stated her reason.

 

“Honey….” Kyu Hyun said weakly.

 

“When Do Hyun’s body wasn’t found ten years ago, I was always being frightened that he might still be alive. Because I also knew the meaning of that song.” Jin Hee starts to sob.

 

“No. You’re wrong.” Alec said and heaves a deep sigh before he continues,” Actually, whenever Jean Luc sang that song at his concerts, he would whisper the following phrase without fail. “Pour compenser ton coeur blesse”. In French, those words means, “To compensate your wounded heart”.

 

“The new arrangement also had new lyrics. Except for red roses, all of the flowers have been changed to Hyacinth, Laurel and Olive.” Alec stated after he reads the new arrangement of the song.

 

“Those flowers symbolized Sadness, Peace and Glory.” D.O adds.

 

“I get it now. Having realized that he had harrased Jin Hee into trying to kill him, Mr. Picard continued singing this song with feelings of compensations, and probably he deliberately decided to sign a contract with the KH Group.” Kim Bum stated.

 

“Indeed. In the past, he was once fell into the pit of grief, but now, he’s no longer hated Mrs. Baek. Having achieved success and happiness by himself, he probably wanted Mrs. Baek to hear the real “The Red Nocturne of Love”. D.O concludes.

 

D.O stands up from the armchair and said, “Now, Mrs. Baek, would you please come with us to the station now?”

 

“Yes.” Jin Hee agrees in her low voice.

 

“Mrs. Baek Jin Hee. You’re under arrest for murdering Mr. Jean Luc Picard. You have the right to remain silent. If you do say anything, what you say can be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to consult with a lawyer and have that lawyer present during any questioning. If you can not afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you, if you so desire.” Kai stated Jin Hee’s right while he puts on the handcuffs on her wrists.

 

Afterwards, D.O and Kai excuse themselves from the party to take Jin Hee to Seoul Police Station.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Seoul Police Station

 

“Arggghhh. I’m drained.” Kai stretched his arms above his head. “We’ve just finished our case a few hours earlier, yet we’ve encounter another case.”

 

“I’ve told you that you don’t have to drive me there, but you’re so stubborn and insist on doing it anyway.” D.O take a glance at Kai from the corner of his eyes.

 

“Well, it’s the least I could do.” Kai crack his neck to release its tension. “Besides, I didn’t do much to help you in solving the case.”

 

“You’ve done enough, Kai.” D.O said nonchalantly.

 

“Say, D.O, how do you know about flowers’ language?” Kai asked. “I never thought that you’ll know such trivial information like that.”

 

“I happen to read about it a few years ago, and there is no such thing as trivial informations. According to Holmes, the little things are infinitely the most important.” D.O said nonchalantly.

 

“Wow. I never thought that you’re a Sherlockian.” Kai smirks.

 

“Well, reading books is always been my hobby since I was little. It made me occupied and learned lots of informations.” D.O shrugged.

 

“Ah, by the way, your month of birth is on January, right?” Kai asked.

 

“Yeah, what about it?” D.O tilts his head towards Kai and makes Kai’s heart skips a beat.

 

“Ah. Nothing. Nothing at all.” Kai turned away to avoid D.O’s burning gaze at him and hide his blushing.

 

“You’re lying. You’re definitely hiding something from me.” For a while, D.O staring straight at Kai’s back, before he head to the door. “Let’s go, Kai.”

 

“Huh? Where to? Are we going somewhere again?” Kai swirl around and asked.

 

“I’m taking you home, idiot. It’s almost dawn. We’re lucky since it’s Sunday, so we could rest for a whole day.” D.O grabs his car key and heads to the door.

 

“Wait, D.O. I’ll drive you instead.” Kai stands up hastily and catch up with D.O.

 

“No can’t do. Didn’t you said that you’re exhausted, earlier?” D.O furrows his brows together while he turned around to face Kai. “I have no intention to end up in a hospital because you’re forcing yourself to drive despite of your exhaustion. So, this time, I’ll drive.” D.O insists.

 

“B-But… But….” Kai hesitates.

 

“Look, if you don’t want me to drive you, it’s fine by me. You could just get a bus or a cab, for all I care.” D.O shrugged.

 

“….”

 

“So, are you coming or not?” D.O asked Kai.

 

“I’m coming with you.” Kai answer in haste. He follow D.O to the parking lot and going home with him.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------