Flawless Alibi (Part 2)

Nephalem

“The daughter of one of the leading figures in the economic world was killed, so it’s true that there was an immense pressure to find the culprit as soon as possible. At that time, a man called Jung Ho Keun appeared as the perfect witness.” Jung Dong Gyu starts to explain.

 

“In other words, his testimony was more than anyone could hope for, and it became the decisive factor on Busan’s murder case?” D.O asked.

 

“Yes. When Jung Ho Keun’s name appeared on top of the investigation regarding the murder of Cho Jae Hyun, Joo Hye Sung had already been pronounced guilty. By then, no one could take back the verdict.” Jung Dong Gyu added.

 

“At that time, it looked like the police and the prosecutors had been fooled by Jung Ho Keun.” D.O rolls his eyes.

 

“He didn’t fool me. I’ve told them to do another investigation over the case.” Jung Dong Gyu retorts.

 

“Afterwards, Joo Hye Sung died in the prison, while he’s still fighting for his innocence.” D.O sneers.

 

“Look. It’s true that I’m the one who’s in charge of investigating Jung Ho Keun, 19 years ago.” Jung Dong Gyu stated. “His testimony was incredibly clear and detailed, to the point where it was actually hard to believe him. Hence, I took the documents and told my supervisor and the prosecutor who’s in charge of the case, saying that we needed to investigate it again, more thoroughly. Everything that happened afterwards, was fully decided by the head prosecutor and it was out of my hands!” Jung Dong Gyu exclaims.

 

“The suspect of the case, Joo Hye Sung, was declared guilty because of the testimony that you’ve had collected. That’s how important that piece of evidence was.” D.O stated calmly.

 

“At the end of the day, regarding to how a case is concluded, it fully depends on the head prosecutor who’s in charge of taking the final decision.” Jung Dong Gyu retort.

 

“Even so, if only you had properly verified the testimony, you probably could have arrested Jung Ho Keun at the spot. Then the current case with Cho Su Hun would never have happened,” D.O sighed.

 

“Cho Su Hun? Who is he?” Jung Dong Gyu asked.

 

“He’s the son of Cho Jae Hyun who died nineteen years ago. He confronts Jung Ho Keun to turn himself in, for murdering his father and he used violence in doing it. Right now, he’s in a coma after he fell by himself and hit his head hard on the ground.” Kai explained.

 

“I see. But, it was a result that happened afterwards. At that time, how could I guessed something like that would have happened.” Jung Dong Gyu stated.

 

“Aren’t you just making up excuses?” D.O gives his opinion.

 

“I did everything I could! You can’t blame me for anything. Furthermore, there was no evidence which could proved that Jung Ho Keun’s testimony was a lie.” Jung Dong Gyu respond.

 

“Evidence? Wouldn’t proving that Jung Ho Keun is the murderer of Cho Jae Hyun be the best evidence?”

 

“Isn’t the reason why you came here to meet me because you couldn’t find any decisive evidence to prove it? Now, you’re just wasting my time.” Jung Dong Gyu retorts.

 

“You’re just keep going on and on, making up more and more excuses for your incompetence.” D.O said coldly.

 

“Tsk. If you have something to say to me, then come back when you’ve actually found something.” Jung Dong Gyu sneers.

 

“Fine. I’ll do it.” D.O said with full confidence. “Let’s go, Kai. We’ve got a new investigation to do.” D.O left Jung Dong Gyu’s office with Kai.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

D.O and Kai went back to Seoul Police Headquarters to discuss about the Busan’s murder case with the rest of the team.

 

“This is the summary of Busan case. At that time, the defendant, Joo Hye Sung, was accused to have murdered his girlfriend, Bong Woo Ri, due to relationship problems. He had denied everything, but he was sentenced with lifetime imprisonment.” Kai starts explaining.

 

“I’ve found out a written report which stated that all of the procedures for a retrial ended after the defendant passed away in prison, while the procedures were still on the process. However, currently, the defendant’s mother is following up with the procedures herself.” Min Kyu said.

 

“But, Kai, how is this case related to our current case with Cho Su Hun?” Se Jong asked Kai.

 

“From what we have gathered from everyone’s investigation, there’s a very high possibility that Jung Ho Keun was the one who had murdered Cho Su Hun’s father, Cho Jae Hyun.” Kai stated.

 

“Then, shouldn’t the police in Itaewon district re-open the ivestigation of the case to check it?” Se Jong asked.

 

“Even though Jung Ho Keun was regarded as the prime suspect for murdering Cho Jae Hyun, unfortunately, the police in Itaewoon district didn’t re-open the investigation. Since Cho Jae Hyun’s time of death overlaps with the time when Bong Woo Ri was killed.” D.O stated.

 

“Moreover, Jung Ho Keun was also the same person who gave the testimony for Busan’s murder case, which happened around the same time.” Kai added.

 

“That’s impossible. The location of those two incidents are an hour away or so by car.” Min Kyu said.

 

“Yeah. To create an alibi for himself, he gave a false testimony for Busan’s murder case.” Kai said.

 

“Huh? Seriously?” Min Kyu said in disbelief. “In other words, the person who declared Cho Jae Hyun death as a suicide, put more weight on that testimony?”

 

“Yes. And the person who collected that testimony is a prosecutor named Jung Dong Gyu.” Kai explained.

 

“Having his testimony to go through for Busan’s murder case is Jung Ho Keun’s biggest trump card in securing an alibi for himself. Since that’s the case, if we can break apart that testimony, then Jung Ho Keun won’t be able to run away from this case anymore.” D.O added.

 

“But, the question is, how are we going to break it apart?” Se Jong asked.

 

“I’m going to the location where Jung Ho Keun said he witnessed seeing Joo Hye Sung.” D.O stated.

 

“D.O, are you sure about this? You’re talking about an incident that happened nineteen years ago here.” Kai asked.

 

“Yes, I know. But it’s still better to see the location with our own eyes.” D.O said to Kai and turned to Min Kyu and Se Jong. “Could you guys prepare the rest of the documents for me?”

 

“We’re on it.” Min Kyu assure D.O.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

D.O and Kai has arrived at the road where Jung Ho Keun witness to have seen Joo Hye Sung passed by with his bike.

 

“Since it’s noon, there’s a lot of bikes pass over the bridge, but as expected, to record the details of each one of them was impossible. Well, it’s probably because he made up what he saw.” D.O shrugged.

 

At that moment, D.O’s cellphone rings, it’s Se Jong who called him.

 

“D.O.”

 

“D.O, I’ve found the news footage about Busan’s murder case in our database. I’ll send it to your cellphone now.” Se Jong asked.

 

“Thanks, Se Jong.” D.O hangs up the phone.

 

Within few seconds, Se Jong has sent the news footage. D.O click on it to view the video, while Kai’s peeking over his shoulder.

 

(At 11.30 pm, the suspect, Joo Hye Sung was seen riding his bike, after leaving the murder location, Dongseo University. He crossed over this bridge and was spotted in his attempt to run away from the crime scene. Apparently, he had been driving his bike at very high speeds. The police have learned that Bong Woo Ri was was involved in some kind of trouble and the investigation is still ongoing.)

 

“If he was moving so fast, no one would be able to notice anything. How could they have let a testimony like that to get through?” Kai asked.

 

However, D.O didn’t respond to Kai, instead he keeps on replay the news footage over and over again, until he notice something in the video. There’s a notification sign placed at the front of the bridge, as the anchorwoman stands beside it.

 

Hastily, D.O went to the car to look at the case file of Busan’s murder case, and smirks to himself in satisfaction.

 

“Did you figure out something?” Kai asked.

 

“I’ve just found a loophole in Jung Ho Keun flawless alibi.” D.O smirks triumphantly.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The next morning, D.O and Kai went to Jung Dong Gyu’s office again to meet with him.

 

“It’s you again.” Jung Dong Gyu sighed. “What do you want from me this time?”

 

“You said that we could come back to you if we have found a concrete evidence on Busan’s murder case, right? Looks like I’ve found it.” D.O smirks at Jung Dong Gyu. “On the night of September 30th, when Busan’s murder case occurred, the bridge where Jung Ho Keun claimed to have witness Joo Hye Sung crossing over, was closed due to its construction.”

 

“Good morning, Mr. Jung. Please take a look at these file.” Kai greets and hand over a file to Jung Dong Gyu. “These are the construction records for Gadeok bridge at the time of the incident. I also received a confirmation from Daelim Industrial Co. Ltd, who’s in charge for the bridge construction. They stated, on that night, the bridge definitely had been under construction. It’s absolutely impossible for anyone to have seen Joo Hye Sung crossing that bridge with his bike.” Kai stated.

 

“That is the absolute evidence that Jung Ho Keun had made up his testimony after he commits the crime. If there was a detective who actually visited the location of the bridge, they should have realized about it right away. This is what happens when you just focus on any written reports. A judge on trial wouldn’t have been able to ignore this evidence. If it had happened like that, then Jung Ho Keun’s testimony could have been revealed to be false and you could have broken his alibi.” D.O stated.

 

Having Jung Dong Gyu froze at his statement, D.O added, “Looks like I found the absolute evidence.”

 

Seeing the prosecutor still didn’t say anything, D.O starts to walk towards the door. But before he closed the door behind him, he said,”Thanks for your incompetence, an innocent life and freedom was taken away. It might have only been a small case for you, but for those who involved in the case, it greatly affected their lives. That’s how difficult criminal cases are.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After D.O and Kai left his office, Jung Dong Gyu went to his supervisor to report about the new findings of Busan’s murder case.

 

“So, what’s your opinion on this case?” Cheon Ho Jin asked Jung Dong Gyu.

 

“I’ve read the documents which was submitted by the attorneys and Jung Ho Keun’s testimony has been completely torn apart. It’s very clear that Jung Ho Keun who was suspected of murdering Cho Jae Hyun, had made up a false testimony in order to create an alibi for himself.

 

“Call him in.” Cheon Ho Jin ordered.

 

“I understood. I’ll tell him about what we’ve found out and—”

 

“— and you will listen to his story one more time.” Cheon Ho Jin smiles.

 

“Huh? What do you mean?” Jung Dong Gyu asked in confusion.

 

“There must have been another bridge nearby. Jung Ho Keun made a mistake when he remembering things. He didn’t spot Joo Hye Sung at Gadeok Bridge, instead it’s Gupodaegyo bridge.” Cheon Ho Jin smirks.

 

“But, nineteen years ago, he said that—”

 

“Anyone could make a mistake like that. Call him in and check on it.” Cheon Ho Jin ordered.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jung Dong Gyu call Jung Ho Keun to the prosecutor office as he was ordered.

 

“Yes, that’s right. It wasn’t Gadeok Bridge. It was actually Gupodaegyo Bridge.” Jung Ho Keun correct his testimony.

 

“Are you sure that you remember this correctly? We’re talking about an incident that happened nineteen years ago.” Jung Dong Gyu asked to reconfirm.

 

“Yes. I remember everything very clearly.” Jung Ho Keun smile. “Then, where should I sign my testimony?”

 

Jung Dong Gyu give the testimony paper to Jung Ho Keun, and he immediately sign it. After signing his testimony, Jung Ho Keun walked out from Jung Dong Gyu’s office with a wide grin spread over his face, leaving Jung Dong Gyu in his frustration.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Meanwhile, at Violent Crimes Department, D.O and Kai heard about the update of Busan’s murder case.

 

“How is this possible? After all of this years, how could they say that he was actually witnessed Joo Hye Sung at another bridge and have it approved?” Kai exclaims furiously.

 

“This makes things pretty clear now.” D.O mumbles.

 

“What?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“What we have to do next.” D.O stated firmly.

 

“But there’s nothing that we can do next, right?” Se Jong said.

 

“That’s why, our next move is to look more thoroughly at those informations which related to Busan’s murder case.” D.O stated calmly.

 

“I see. The defendant, Joo Hye Sung had insisted that he was innocent up until he died.” Kai stated.

 

“But the decisive factor in Joo Hye Sung’s arrest was Jung Ho Keun’s testimony.” Min Kyu said.

 

“Which was actually a false testimony.” Se Jong added.

 

“Which means, there’s a high possibility that Joo Hye Sung was falsely accused.” Kai exclaims.

 

“Right. In other words, if we can find the real murderer of Busan’s murder case, then we can prove that Jung Ho Keun never witnessed Joo Hye Sung pass by the bridge while riding his bike. Once we do that, Jung Ho Keun will have nowhere to run.” D.O stated firmly.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Busan’s Murder Case Briefing

 

“The victim, Bong Woo Ri was a third year college student at Dongseo university. She was in a community tennis club, where she met with Joo Hye Sung, a student in the same university, majoring in theater. Afterwards, both of them started dating.” Kai starts the briefing.

 

“How long had they been dating?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“Three years.”

 

“What was the motive for the murder?” Min Kyu asked again.

 

“The report stated that one week before the incident, Bong Woo Ri told one of her friends that she had gotten into a big fight with Joo Hye Sung. When it turned into a possible break up, she said that she had felt threatened and worried about her own safety. On the night of the incident, Joo Hye Sung asked Bong Woo Ri to meet him in the park of Dongseo University, so they could talk about their problems.” Kai paused for a while before he continues, “At that park, they got into an argument and during their struggles, Joo Hye Sung was claimed to have made Bong Woo Ri fell to the stone steps and killed her. The decisive factor to his arrest was Jung Ho Keun’s testimony, as well as a video footage which was taken from the CCTV of a pharmacy nearby. Right after the incident, the CCTV capture Joo Hye Sung riding pass by with his bike.”

 

“Didn’t he have an alibi for it?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“Apparently he didn’t. At that time, he had been living in the school dorms. It was the night before an exam, and he said that he had stayed up late to study in his room all night. However, his friend who lived next door wasn’t able to confirm his alibi at that time.” Kai stated.

 

“Alright. Kai, let’s go and talk to Joo Hye Sung’s friend.” D.O stands up from his seat and head to the door.

 

“Then, We’ll go and talk to Bong Woo Ri’s friend.” Min Kyu and Se Jong also stands up from their seats to do their investigation.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

In a manufacturing factory in Busan, D.O and Kai meet with Joo Hye Sung’s friend, Goo Dae Young.

 

“You were living in the room next to Joo Hye Sung, is that correct?” Kai starts his questions.

 

“Yes. On the night of the incident, we were studying in his room until 10 pm.” Goo Dae Young confirms.

 

“What did you do afterwards?”

 

“At that time, we were in the middle of exam week and we had been pulling all-nighters for the whole time, so I went to sleep first.” Goo Dae Young stated.

 

“Do you remember what time were you sleeping at that night?”

 

“I think it’s past 10 pm. I slept until around 3 am.”

 

“What about Joo Hye Sung who’s claimed to be going out during that time?” Kai asked.

 

“I was sleeping quite deeply, so I don’t know. If only I hadn’t fallen asleep and I had been able to confirm that he had always been inside his room, then maybe none of this would have happened.” Goo Dae Young said with full of regrets.

 

“Do you think that Joo Hye Sung killed Bong Woo Ri?” D.O popped up the question.

 

“Well, I’ve had heard that they were fighting and they were about to break up, right?”

 

“That’s what the statement said.” D.O shrugged. “Then things became violent and he killed her.”

 

“If she hadn’t tried to run, then things wouldn’t have gotten out of hand and she wouldn’t have been killed.” Goo Dae Young stated while huffed a deep sigh.

 

D.O smirks to himself as he accidentally find something crucial for the case.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Almost at the same time, Min Kyu and Se Jong also meet up with Bong Woo Ri’s friend, Kang Min Soo, in his yoga class.

 

“That’s not true. It’s true that I said Hye Sung and Woo Ri were fighting, but it was just like any normal couple quarelling and it wasn’t a big deal. I never said that she felt threatened or in danger.” Kang Min Soo stated.

 

“Is that so?” Min Kyu asked to reconfirm.

 

“Of course. Ah, but the detective who came to investigate the case, was looking at me with dangerous and dirty eyes. Even after nineteen years had passed, I still think that those eyes of his were very dirty.” Kang Min Soo nods her head several times.

 

“Did you check the written record?” Se Jong asked.

 

“What do you mean?” Kang Min Soo asked.

 

“Before they tell you to sign your testimony, usually they’ll tell you to read through it and to make sure that nothing is out of place, before they put a stamp on it.” Se Jong explains.

 

“Ah. I don’t think I did that. I just kind of skipped reading it. I didn’t think that they would write anything false and I just signed it without thinking.” Kang Min Soo said.

 

“If you remember anything else about Joo Hye Sung and Bong Woo Ri, could you please tell us about it now?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“Ah, now that you mention it, Woo Ri once said that there was a guy who kept coming on to her and he was causing her a few problems.” Kang Min Soo recall her memories.

 

“There’s a man who’s coming on to her? Are you sure about this?” Min Kyu asked to reconfirm.

 

“Yes. I remember it clearly. I was also the type of woman who had guys coming after me all the time. So, when she was talking to me about it, I was like exclaiming to her, “Me too!”. Kang Min Soo paused and continues, “It seemed like he was pretty persistent though.”

 

“Did you know who was bothering her?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“No. She never told me about that guy’s name. If only it had been me instead of her.” Kang Min Soo said regretfully.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Back at Seoul Police Headquarters, everyone gathered to discuss about their new informations on Busan’s murder case.

 

“So, there are major differences between Kang Min Soo statement and her testimony which was written in the prosecution report?” D.O asked to reconfirm.

 

“They completely twisted her words around!” Min Kyu exclaims in anger.

 

“Say, D.O. Do you think that what they did could be counted as an illegal investigation?” Se Jong asked D.O.

 

“It happened nineteen years ago, so it would be hard to prove it.” D.O sighed.

 

“Who was trying to get close to Bong Woo Ri at that time?” Kai asked Min Kyu and Se Jong.

 

“No matter how often Kang Min Soo asked her about it, seemed like Bong Woo Ri never told her about his name.” Min Kyu stated.

 

“In other words, this guy tried to pursue her and got rejected, then it posibbly led to violence?” Kai asked everyone in the room.

 

“Well, you could say it like that, Kai. But these images which taken from the CCTV, clearly show Joo Hye Sung passing by the pharmacy while riding his bike. The jacket, the helmet and the bikes, all of them are definitely his too.” D.O stated.

 

“But Joo Hye Sung himself insisted that he never left his room at that night. At any rate, if only we can find a flaw in the video footage taken from the CCTV, then the possibility of his statement being true, could go up.” Kai pondered.

 

“Then, why don’t we re-enact the footage from the CCTV?” D.O suggest.

 

“Huh? Are you sure about it, D,O? I mean, could we really find anything from doing it?” Kai asked.

 

“We won’t know it unless we try it, aren’t we?” D.O shrugged. “Let’s go to the pharmacy, everyone, and bring any recording equipment that we had.” D.O ordered.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reenactment went smoothly, with Min Kyu riding the bike, while Se Jong recording it with a handycam in the precise angle of the CCTV, as it was taken nineteen years ago.

 

After the reenactment, all of them went back to the station to examine their new findings.

 

“Arrgghh. We can’t use this new image. They’re pretty much exactly the same image as nineteen years ago!” Kai exclaims in his frustration.

 

Noticing that Se Jong didn’t say anything in response, Kai nudged him at his side. “Hey, what’s wrong? What are you looking at so intense for quite some time?”

 

“I borrowed these pictures from one of Joo Hye Sung’s old schoolmates.” Se Jong displays several pictures that he observed earlier, on the table, for everyone to see. “Will it help the case?” Se Jong wonders.

 

“Is this the pictures taken from the club activities?” D.O asked.

 

“Yes. These pictures were taken during their entrance ceremony. I think the other ones were taken while they’re outside of school.” Se Jong explains.

 

“I don’t think we can really use this.” Kai heaves a deep sigh.

 

D.O didn’t say anything in response, instead he observe those pictures intensely as he reorganize the puzzles in his mind.

 

(No one was able to confirm that Joo Hye Sung was inside his room at the time of the crime…)

 

(If she hadn’t tried to run, then things wouldn’t have gotten out of hand and she wouldn’t have been killed..)

 

Suddenly everything fits. D.O smirks to himself as he mumbles, “When measuring someone’s height, one shouldn’t tell a tall tale.”

 

“Huh? Are you saying something?” Kai asked in confusion.

 

“Nope. Nothing at all.” D.O smiles at Kai.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The next morning, D.O and Kai pay a visit to Goo Dae Young’s house.

 

“Please take a look at these pictures. We’ve analyzed the video footage taken from a security camera at the time of the incident, by using a special software. Using the height of the electricity pole on the scene, we were able to determine the height of the man on the bike.” D.O explains his findings.

 

“The height of the man on the bike was 179 cm.” Kai added.

 

“Joo Hye Sung’s height was only 165 cm. In other words, the person who was caught riding his bike in this footage, was not Joo Hye Sung.”

 

“Really?” Goo Dae Young asked.

 

“Now, the question in, who was this person? This man had the same jacket as Joo Hye Sung, and he was able to ride his bike.” D.O asked.

 

“We heard from the other students who lived in the same dorm, that sometimes you would borrow Joo Hye Sung’s bike.” Kai stated.

 

“That’s not true.” Goo Dae Young denies it.

 

“Around the time of the incident, Bong Woo Ri told her friend that there was another man who was trying to purse her.” D.O said to Goo Dae Young as he take out several pictures from the pocket of his jacket. “Please take a look at these pictures. There’s a similar point of interest in all of these pictures. There are some pictures of you acting friendly beside Joo Hye Sung, but there are also few pictures like these ones, where you position yourself as far as possible from him. In all of these pictures where you are separated, it’s always happen when Joo Hye Sung is beside Bong Woo Ri. I think it must be because you had developed feelings for your friend’s girlfriend. That’s why, seeing them together was painful for you.”

 

“No. You’re wrong.” Goo Dae Young shakes his head firmly.

 

“Hm. Then, let’s change the topic.” D.O pause for a few seconds before he continues. “On the other day, when you spoke to me, you said this statement. “If she hadn’t tried to run, things wouldn’t have gotten out of hand and she wouldn’t have been killed”. Isn’t that right? I looked through all the news reports and newspapers at that time, as well as the trial records and the investigation reports, but none of them ever mentioned about Bong Woo Ri was running and being killed in retaliation. In other words, only the instigator of the crime would have known about this piece of information.”

 

Goo Dae Young stunned as he listen to D.O’s explanation. He looked up at D.O and turned his gaze to Kai.

 

Having no response from Goo Dae Young, D.O continues his deduction of the case, “When Joo Hye Sung was in his room and studying for his exams, you had called Bong Woo Ri to meet you. Then, without telling Joo Hye Sung, you borrowed his bike and went to meet Bong Woo Ri. Am I wrong?”

 

While lowering his head, Goo Dae Young start to tremble hard and fidgeting in panic, unable to look straight to D.O’s eyes.

 

D.O keeps pressing on him. “And your height is…?”

 

Listening to D.O’s question made Goo Dae Young trembling more uncontrollably and then he said, “Please leave. My son is waiting for me to play with him.”

 

After saying those statement, Goo Dae Young stands up from his seat and start to walk fast towards his son’s room.

 

“Goo Dae Young!” Kai called out for him and made him halts his steps.

 

“Please hear us out until the end. I also have a family, just like you. It’s something that absolutely cannot be replaced. But the victim, as well as the one who was charged, Joo Hye Sung, they also had family who was important to them.” Kai paused as he approach Goo Dae Young and said, “But, you know, a crime is still a crime. A lie won’t simply turn into the truth. Once you’ve made up one lie, you will have to keep it forever, and it will keep on coming back to haunt you. Goo Dae Young, have you ever truly been able to smile in front of your wife and child?” Kai asked.

 

“I’ve always… I’ve always regretted what I did. Joo Hye Sung was made as a criminal because of me, and I was the one who killed her. Even though I was the one who killed both of them, I’m the only one who gets to have… a future and a family of my own.” Goo Dae Young said in a low voice.

 

Kai stepped forward and patted on Goo Dae Young’s shoulder. Then he walks towards D.O who stands quietly while observing them. Afterwards, he turned around to say his final statement to Goo Dae Young. “Take that one lie that you’ve made and turn it into the truth. You have affected the lives of everyone involved in this case. Before we re-open this case, please turn yourself in. Please make up for your own sins on your own. That’s all we ask from you.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Few hours later, the prosecutor’s office is in uproar, since Goo Dae Young confessed.

 

“This is bad. Goo Dae Young has confessed. If the mass media find out who was the real culprit now, then the Chief Prosecutor who was in charge of the Busan’s murder case, will be affected. Something has to be done about this matter.” One of senior prosecutors reports to Cheon Ho Jin.

 

“That’s enough.” Cheon Ho Jin said.

 

“But…what about…”

 

“Enough! Call Jung Dong Gyu to see me.” Cheon Ho Jin ordered.

 

Few minutes later, Jung Dong Gyu enters Cheon Ho Jin’s office. “You’re calling for me, sir?”

 

“Give the order to re-open the investigations on CEO Cho Jae Hyun’s suicide.” Cheon Ho Jin ordered.

 

“Yes sir. Excuse me.” Jung Dong Gyu excuse himself from Cheon Ho Jin’s office and did as he ordered.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Few days later, D.O and Kai pays a visit to the hospital to meet with Cho Su Hun who finally had awaken from his coma. At the same moment, the TV displays the news about the update of Busan’s murder case.

 

(The retrials for Joo Hye Sung have finally begun. In order to clear the name of their client, Joo Hye Sung, who passed away while he’s in prison, his attorneys dismissed the motion to appeal and continued pressing for a retrial. The police force who made this decision, will be putting those who were in charge of the case, under review, while they’re opening a new investigations on the case itself.)

 

“Your father’s case should be settled soon.” Kai assure Cho Su Hun.

 

“Thank you very much, officer.” Cho Su Hun said weakly.

 

“Oh, one more thing. Regarding to your own assault case, it’s highly likely that you will not be charge of it. We’ll try our best to make sure of it.” Kai added.

 

In the meantime, D.O went to Saewookang factory on his own, to meet with Jung Ho Keun.

 

“Mr. Jung Ho Keun, your testimony has been completely torn apart. You can’t run away anymore. What was it, that you’ve said to me before? If I remember it correctly, it was… “No one will be able to arrest me”. That’s what you’ve said to me, right? The police and the prosecutors have started moving. Now, on the fair grounds, please accept the judgement awaiting for you.” D.O smirks at Jung Ho Keun in satisfaction, before he slightly bowed his head and walk out of his office.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------