Indecent Obsession

Nephalem

“You piece of , are you trying to go outside again? I’ve told you not to go outside, didn’t I?” A woman scolded his son for wandering off the house.

“I’m sorry… I’m sorry mom. I won’t do it again. I promise.”

“That’s what you said to me before. But you keep on doing it again and again.”

“Please, mom. Forgive me. I promise, I won’t do it again.”

“Where are you sneaking off to these days?” The woman yelled at his son in her anger.

“I… I…I’ve just going out to the book store, mom.” The boy looks terrified over his mother’s rage.

“How many time do I have to tell you… not to read those comics again, huh? You used most of your pocket money to buy comics and when I stopped giving you pocket money, now you decide to read comics for hours in the bookstore? If you have that much of free time, why didn’t you use it to study instead, huh?”

SLAP! Without any warnings, the mother had slapped the boy on his face, and then she said to her son, “Your eyes and your face… You reminds me of your father and now you’re even acting like him!! Are you trying to abandon your mother, just like your father did?! And you think that I’m going to let you do that?! No ing way!!” The woman reached out her hands and starts to strangle the boy.

(cough) “M-mom… urk…!”

Shocked, the boy looked at his mother in disbelief. He couldn’t utter any words, because he couldn’t believe that his mother who used to be so kind to him, is the one who strangled him. His mother’s eyes were so dark, as if she was possessed and then his mother said in a low voice, “I could make you born and I could make you die instantly. Your life is mine!”

The strangulation became tighter and tighter. The boy’s visions started to blur, his face has become blue due to the lack of oxygen. Gradually, the darkness begin to swallow the boy’s consciousness.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“No!” D.O scream with a raspy voice. Instinctively, he hold his neck and look at his surroundings wildly. D.O heaved a deep sigh in relief, when he realize that he’d just having a nightmare.

“!” D.O cursed to himself. It’s been years since the last time he had that dream. Now, it suddenly went back to haunt him.

“Why the hell can’t I forget about it?” D.O huffed a deep sigh, gets up from the bed and head to the kitchen for a glass of water.

While drinking, D.O looked at the clock in his kitchen. 2 am. It’s still too early to wake up, but he’s positive that he won’t be able to get back to sleep. If he’s not going back to sleep, then what would he do now?

D.O went back to his bedroom, to think of something he could do, instead of going back to sleep. D.O grabbed his cellphone at the night stand and dial a certain number.

His call rings twice before it was picked up by the other party at another end of the line.

“Hello?”

“Kim, do you mind coming over to my house?” D.O asked.

“Huh? Your house? At this hour? Why?” Kim Bum asked.

“I just can’t sleep. I’m having that dream again.” D.O heaved a deep sigh.

“You dreamed about the assault again?”

“Yes. It’s happening again. It’s always happens at this time of the year.”

“Ah, right. Next week is his anniversary.”

“…”

“Then, why don’t you come to my house?” Kim Bum suggested.

“Give me a break, will you? After the incidents in The Edelweiss Mansion, do you think I have any energy to spare to drive to your place?” D.O mumbled.

“I thought Kai drives you home.” Kim Bum said.

“He’s already drive me to the mansion. How could I ask him to drive me home?” D.O sighed.

“Huh? That’s interesting. You… of all people… actually care about a certain someone?” Kim Bum chuckles.

“Cut it out, Kim. Are you coming or not?” D.O starts to lose his patience. “If you’re not coming, I’m going to sever our ties.” D.O threatens.

“Whoa, chill out, dude. Did you just swallow a bomb or something?” Kim Bum laugh outloud. “I’m coming… I’m coming.” Kim Bum finally decides and hangs up the phone.

Being left alone again, D.O huffed a deep sigh. He grab his wallet from the night stand and opened it. Inside, there’s a picture of someone dear to him.

“I miss you so much.” D.O said to himself as he caress the picture gently with his fingers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It tooks only fifteen mitues, before D.O’s door bell rings and reveals Kim Bum at his apartment’s door.

“Hey! Miss me already?” Kim Bum smirks and hugged D.O warmly.

“Dream on.” D.O stepped aside and allowing Kim Bum to enter his apartment. “Come on in.”

Kim Bum went straight to the kitchen and helped himself for a glass of water, then he turned to D.O. “So, why do you want me to be here?”

“Nothing. I just… I just don’t want to be alone tonight.”

“Then you should get yourself a girlfriend.” Kim Bum smirked at D.O.

“Huh? As if I would do that. I’d rather end up alone than being with any woman. Women are too complicated.”

“Not all of them are complicated, you know? Some of them are kind hearted and understanding.”

“Nah. Relationships are too complicated and I hate complicated things.” D.O shrugged.

“I can’t always be around for you, you know?” Kim Bum sighed.

“That’s nonsense.” D.O raised one of his brows at Kim Bum. “You know you’ll always be by my side whenever I need you.”

“That’s because you reminds me of my ex-girlfriend. You two really look alike as if you’re twins. Do you know that?” Kim Bum smirked at D.O. and joins him to sit on the couch.

“So, how’s work?” Kim Bum asked D.O.

“The usual. Busy. Hectic. Complicated cases. You name it.”

“But nothing that you couldn’t handle, right?” Kim Bum nudged D.O.

“Is that even a question?” D.O tilted his head to look at Kim Bum from the corner of his eye.

“Stop being a prick, will you?” Kim Bum rolled his eyes.

“What can I say?” D.O shrugged. “It’s in my blood.”

“By the way, are you planning to visit him this year?” Kim Bum asked.

“I don’t know. They might have been there too. And meeting them is the last thing that I want. Besides, even if I don’t visit him, it didn’t mean that I’m not thinking of him. So many years had passed, yet I’m still missing him.” D.O heaves a deep sigh.

“Maybe you should visit him this year. Maybe it would make you feel better.” Kim Bum suggested.

“I don’t know, Kim. I’ll think about it.”

“Now, try to get some sleep, okay?” Kim Bum suggested. “You start to look like a ing panda. How long since you had any proper sleep?”

“I don’t want to have that dream again.” D.O sighed.

“It’s been years now, Soo. Why can’t you just forget about it and forgive them for everything they did to you? Maybe then, you’ll finally find your peace.” Kim Bum said.

“How could I forget it, when the incident keeps on playing on my mind, over and over again, like a broken tape, as if it was just happened yesterday?” D.O sighed.

“Just free yourself, Soo. Don’t trap yourself in the past. Now, they couldn’t hurt you anymore.” Kim Bum said.

“If it’s just that incident, maybe I could forget it, but the thing is, several similar incidents also happened, Kim.” D.O sighed. “Back then, no matter how hard I tried to please them, it would never be enough for them. They’ll never be satisfied with me.” D.O heave another deep sigh before continues, “It’s only him who loved me for all I am. I miss him, Kim.”

“I know, Soo, I know.” Kim Bum patted D.O’s shoulder. “Just get some rest now.”

“Sometimes I could sleep easily, although most of the time, I just stay awake until morning comes.” D.O sighed. “But sleeping pills helps me a lot to sleep though.” D.O force himself to smile.

“You shouldn’t make it a habit, you know.” Kim Bum look at D.O worriedly. “Taking sleeping pills on a daily basis isn’t good for your health.”

“I know. I try to reduce it. That’s why I’m calling you here tonight.” D.O smirks at Kim Bum.

“You prick!” Kim Bum ruffles D.O’s hair. “Just try to get some sleep, but no sleeping pills, okay?”

“Fine. But if that dream comes back, you have to wake me up, okay?” D.O finally give in.

“Absolutely! Do you want me to cuddle you too?” Kim Bum smirked at D.O.

“No way! You ert! I know what are you thinking. Don’t you dare to think of me as your ex-girlfriend’s substitute!” D.O glare at Kim Bum, which earned him a burst of laughter from Kim Bum.

“Damn! I thought I could take advantages of you tonight!” Kim Bum laughed outloud.

“Dream on! I’m going to bed now. Just make yourself at home. Do whatever you want and eat anything you want. But you can’t sleep with me!” D.O gives another glare at Kim Bum.

“I get it already! Now move your and go to sleep!” Kim Bum still laughed at D.O.

“Night, Kim.”

“Night Soo. Sleep tight and don’t let the bed bugs bite.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 am …

“Soo… Soo… wake up. Breakfast ready.” Kim Bum tries to wake D.O who was still sound asleep.

“Urgh.” With half-opened eyes, D.O looks at Kim Bum groggily. “What time is it?”

“It’s 9 am. You have to get up and eat your breakfast.” Kim Bum urge D.O to get up from his bed.

“It’s Sunday, Kim. Let me get more sleep.” D.O closes his eyes again and tries to sleep again.

“I know it’s Sunday. Even so, you have to eat your breakfast first. Afterwards, I’ll allow you to go to sleep again and I won’t bother you, okay?” Kim Bum patted D.O’s shoulder. “Now come on. Get up!”

While grumbling to himself, D.O finally gets up and heads to the dining table to eat his breakfast. “If I’ve known that I would be forced to wake up at this hour, I won’t ask you to come here to accompany me.” D.O said grumpily.

“Hahahaha. Too late for that, Soo.” Kim Bum laughed. “You know the rule. Whenever I’m around, breakfast is a must.”

“Anyway, thanks Kim. For staying here and for the breakfast.”

“No problem, Soo.” Kim Bum replied. “Now, eat your breakfast. After breakfast, I have to go to my studio.”

Before D.O could respond to Kim Bum, his door bell rings. D.O was about to get up, but Kim Bum stops him. “Just eat your breakfast. I’ll get the door.”

D.O sits on his chair again and continue eating his breakfast, meanwhile Kim Bum head towards the door to see who’s coming.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Yes?” Kim Bum greets as he opened the door.

“Err… excuse me, but isn’t this D.O’s apartment?”

“Ah, Kai.” Kim Bum greets. “We’ve met last night at The Edelweiss Mansion, right?”

“Yes. Isn’t this Kyung Soo’s apartment?” Kai asked again.

“Yes. It’s his apartment. Ah, I’m sorry, come in.” Kim Bum stepped aside to allow Kai entered the apartment.

“Have you eaten your breakfast? If you haven’t, you can join us for breakfast.”

“I don’t want to intrude.” Kai smiled awkwardly.

“That’s nonsense.” Kim Bum waves his hand nonchalantly. “The more the merrier. Besides, I made more than enough breakfast for three people. Come on, join us for breakfast.” Kim Bum push Kai to the dining table and urge him to join their breakfast.

Kai sitting in his chair awkwardly while he sneak a peek at D.O to know his reaction about his arrival to the apartment, but to his disappoinment, D.O showed no response at all, he just keeps on eating his breakfast, as if he didn’t see Kai sitting there.

“Here you go.” Kim Bum serves sandwiches for Kai and sits with them.

“By the way, how long since you’ve been partner with Soo?” Kim Bum asked Kai.

“It’s only for a couple of month now.” Kai replies.

“How did you manage to deal with his coldness and arrogance attitude?” Kim Bum said while pointing at D.O.

“Well… he’s okay.” Kai answered awkwardly. “He’s doing a great job.”

“Of course. I’m the best at my job.” D.O said nonchalantly while munching on his sandwich.

“Sigh. You’re such a narcissisist. Do you know that?” Kim Bum ruffles D.O’s hair.

“But you love me anyway…” D.O shrugged.

“I do. And that’s my fault.” Kim Bum huffed a deep sigh.

Meanwhile, Kai looked so shocked.

(Love? Did D.O said that this man love him? Who is this man? Why did he seemed so close with D.O? Are they in a relationship? No way. That can’t be true, right? But… But… They seemed like they’ve known each other for quite a long time, and… and… they even live together.)

“By the way, Kim. Aren’t you supposed to go to your studio?” D.O asked Kim Bum.

“Shoot. I almost forgot. I’m going now.” Kim Bum grabbed his coat and went back to give a warm hug to D.O. “Call me, if you need anything, okay?”

“Bye Soo! And Kai, enjoy your breakfast.” Kim Bum said his goodbye before he head to the door and left the apartment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being left alone with D.O., somehow make Kai feel nervous and awkward at the same time. Kai want to ask about who is Kim Bum, but he fears that D.O might think he’s being too nosy. Kai also feels like he had to say something to ease the awkward atmosphere, but he doesn’t know what to say, instead he just eating his sandwhiches quietly.

“So…” D.O. start the conversation. “What are you doing here?”

“Huh?” Kai startled as he was lost in his thoughts earlier. “Ah, actually I was going to ask you to have breakfast with me. But I never thought that you’re already have your breakfast and Kim Bum was here too.” Kai sounds very dejected.

“It’s his daily routines. Whenever he stays over at my place, he would always made breakfast for us.” D.O said.

(What? Stay over? He actually spend a night at D.O’s house? He’s always made breakfast for us? Us? What’s that supposed to mean?)

“Alright then, I’ll go to take a shower. You can take your time in finishing your breakfast, but don’t touch anything.” D.O said before he went to the bathroom.

After D.O left for bathroom, Kai feels so confused. If he’s not suppose to touch anything, then what should he do after he finish his breakfast? Should he wait for D.O or should he just left the apartment? Kai shaked off his thoughts and just eat his sandwiches quietly. Afterwards, Kai decided to go to the kitchen sink and wash all of the dirty dishes.

Feeling unsure of what to do next, Kai just sit idly on the couch, waiting for D.O., hoping that D.O won’t ask him to leave, just like that. Maybe if he’s lucky, he could spend more time with D.O.

When Kai look around the apartment, he saw a glimpse of shadow, standing in front of the bathroom door. He approached the shadow, trying to talk to him.

“Hey there. What are you doing there?” Kai asked the shadow.

At first, the shadow didn’t say anything in response, instead he looked a bit startled, knowing Kai could see him and then after a few seconds, he asked carefully, “Are you talking to me? You could see me?”

“Yes. Of course. Who do you think I’m talking to?” Kai smile to the shadow.

“Wow. That’s so awesome.” The shadow, turned out to be a small boy, leapt in front of Kai in his excitement. “No one ever saw and talk to me before. How did you do it? Did you learn it? Or did you always being able to do it?”

“I was born with it.” Kai smiled at the boy. “What’s your name, kid?”

“I….I…. I don’t know.” The boy lowered his head, looking so sad. “I couldn’t remember anything.”

“It’s okay. Most of the time, when people died, they forgot about all the memories they had when they’re alive.” Kai said to the boy.

“Hey, do you want to have a new friend? I have a friend with me. His name is JB. Do you want to meet him?” Kai asked the boy.

“Really? Do you think he’ll like me? Do you think he wants to be my friend?” The boy looked up and being excited again.

“Of course. You’re so adorable. He’ll like you for sure.” Kai turned around and called out for JB.

“JB… come out. There’s someone who wants to meet you.” Kai said into thin air.

Soon after, a young man called JB appeared in the apartment, saying, ”What’s up, grumpy Kai? I was playing around with some ghosts in the neighborhood. Why do you called out for me? You never did that before.” JB said grumpily at Kai.

“Here, meet our new friend.” Kai points at the boy.

The boy looked a bit shy and nervous when he said his greetings. “He—he—hello, nice to meet you.” The boy stuttered.

“OMG. He’s so adorable.” JB looked at the boy in awe. “Where did you find him?”

“I saw him standing around in the apartment. I thought I could take him with us, so he won’t be too lonely in here.” Kai explained.

“Are you kidding me? Having another friend other than Grumpy Kai around me is like a gift from heaven.” JB smirked at Kai, then turned to the boy. “What’s your name, kid?”

“I—I don’t remember.” The boy stuttered in his response due to his nervousness.

“Aw. That’s too bad. But don’t worry, we’ll think of a name for you. Hm, let’s see, what would be the best name for you…” JB pondered for a little while. “What about Byeol?”

“Don’t you think it’s a girl name, JB?” Kai rolled his eyes.

“Hey. Why not? It’s perfect for him. Look at him, he’s so cute and adorable, just like a star, so Byeol is perfect.”

“Byeol. I love it.” The boy said excitedly.

“Then, from now on, your name is Byeol, until you could remember your real name.” Kai decided. “So, Byeol, would you like to go with me? At least you won’t feel lonely, being alone in this apartment. You could talk to me or play with me or JB, if you like.” Kai asked Byeol.

“Okay!” The boy said excitedly, but then he remember something. “But then, what about Soo?”

“Soo?” Kai asked. “What about him?”

“He would feel lonely if I leave his apartment.” The boy suddenly looked so sad.

“He’ll be okay. Besides, he can’t see or talk to you, right?” Kai explained. “I’ll tell you what, I’ll make sure he won’t feel lonely, how’s that sound?”

“Really? Promise?” Byeol asked Kai.

“I promise.” Kai assure Byeol.

“Okay, I’ll go with you.” Byeol decided.

“Alright. Come on, Byeol. I’ll take you to play with my other friends.” JB asked Byeol to come with him and both of them vanished from the apartment in an instant.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Who are you talking to?” D.O asked when he finished his shower, looking so fresh and gorgeous, with a towel wrapped around his neck, while he's drying his wet hair.

Kai look at D.O in awe, and couldn’t give his response right away.

“Hello? Are you listening to me?” D.O asked again.

“Huh? You were saying?” Kai startled.

D.O rolled his eyes. “I said, who are you talking to?” D.O repeated his question. “I’ve heard you’re talking to someone when I was in the bathroom.”

“Huh? No. I’m not talking to anyone. You must be mistaken.” Kai tries to deny it.

“Am I?” D.O shrugged. “Never mind then. What are you planning for today?”

“Other than having breakfast with you, I’m not planning to do anything. Why? Do you want to go somewhere? Do you want me to drive you somewhere?” Kai asked all of his questions in one breath.

“Hey, chill out. What’s with the sudden interrogations?” D.O rolled his eyes.

“Ah… sorry. My bad. But, why are you asking?” Kai asked.

“I was wondering if you could—” D.O.’s sentence being cut off with the ring of his phone. He went to the bedroom to get his phone and pick up the call.

“D.O.”

“Where are you?” Jae Young asked.

“Home. Why?”

“Go to the Jinyang Lake as soon as possible. Some fishermen reported that they have found a dead body.” Jae Young said.

“Got it. I’m on my way.” D.O said and hangs up the phone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Few seconds later, Kai got the same phone call from Jae Young, asking him to do the same thing as D.O.

“You got the call too?” D.O asked Kai, when he saw Kai also got a phone call.

“Yes. But I think I have to go back home first, to get my bike. I was taking the bus, and I left my bike at home.” Kai explained.

“There’s no need for that. We’ll do it the usual way. You drive my car and we go straight to the crime scene.” D.O said.

“But then, how could I go home?” Kai asked. Actually, Kai could easily use the public transportation, like a bus or taxi. But somehow, Kai was having a slight hope that D.O would offer to drive him home. But…

“You could always use the bus, or taxi, right?” D.O shrugged. “Come on, let’s go!”

As soon as Kai’s bubble of hope blows up, it’s being popped up in an instant by D.O’s words. Kai huffed a deep sigh and walk listlessly to the door.

Soon after, both D.O and Kai had drive off from the apartment’s parking lot, heading to Jinyang Lake.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At Jinyang Lake…

When D.O and Kai arrive at the scene, some local police had arrived at the scene, along with their forensic team.

“Excuse me, we’re from Violent Crimes Department.” D.O said while showing his badge to the local police. “Who found the body?”

“It’s those two fishermen over there.” The officer pointing at two men who’s currently being questioned by the local police.

“Ok. Thanks.” D.O approach the two men to ask a few question.

Meanwhile, Kai looking around the lake, and see a spirit standing still, about 100 meters from him. Kai approach the spirit, wondering what did the spirit wants to tell him about. However, by the time Kai arrived at that place, the spirit had vanished. Kai looked around the area and find a broken cellphone. Kai take out a plastic bag from his pocket and secure the cellphone inside.

“Kai!” D.O who had finished with his interrogation, called out for Kai. “What are you doing here?”

“Nothing. I’ve just found the victim’s cellphone.” Kai showed his findings to D.O.

“How the hell did you find it?” D.O looked at Kai suspiciously.

“A hunch?” Kai smiled awkwardly at D.O.

“Yeah, right.” D.O rolled his eyes. “Come on. Let’s go back to the station. I want to know the autopsy result.” D.O ordered.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At The Police Station…

When they arrived at the police station, D.O and Kai went straight toward the Forensic Department to find Baek Hyun, regarding to the autopsy result.

“Morning, Baek. How’s the autopsy result of the corpse found in Jinyang Lake?” D.O asked.

“Well, first of all, the progression of epidermal putrefaction is not decreasing and it appears to be fresh. However, the victim’s internal organs are already decomposed by anaerobic bacteria.”

“In other words, you’re saying that the corpse looks fine on the outside, yet it fully decomposed on the inside, right?” D.O. reconfirm.

“Yes.” Baek Hyun said.

“What about the time of death?” Kai asked.

“Judging from several aspects, such as : the rate of putrefaction is twice slower in water than in an open air, the severity of blood loss and the appearance of many wounds, also the enviromental parameters like outfits, weight and water temperature, we could estimate the time of death between 60 days to 70 days max.” Baek Hyun explained.

“The main reason why the abandoned corpses in water were rised to the surface is because of the gas and expansion, which occur during putrefaction process. I believe that those knife scars are working as exhaust to let the gas out, other than being the cause of death.” Baek Hyun added.

“Then, what’s the cause of death?” Kai asked Baek Hyun.

“It’s a cervical fracture.” Baek Hyun stated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case Briefing…

“The victim’s name is Bang Yong Guk, 28 years old. His residence is in Banghak-Dong, Dobong-Gu. He runs an architectural firm and single. There is a file of missing person when he was missing. He has been missing since 2 months ago, after his working hours on July 4th. We assume that he was killed, right after he was missing, since it matched with the estimated time of death.” D.O stated.

“Do we have anything from the victim’s cellphone?” Jae Young asked.

“It’s impossible to restore the data because of the severe decay,” Kai answered. “However, we have requested for the cooperation of the service provider and within today, we will have the call and text history.”

“The victim was tortured and killed. The culprit also created exhausts on the corpse with a knife. Then, is it a murder because of a grudge? Do you find anything peculiar?” Jae Young asked D.O and Kai.

“This is the picture taken from the corpse when it was found.” Kai handed over several pictures to Jae Young. “If you look at this picture, the knot is quite different from the ordinary one.”

“Regarding to this knot, we’re currently investigating specific organizations or jobs.” Kai added.

“First, let’s collect informations from anywhere. Let’s see what we could find.” Jae Young said. “Meeting dismissed.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the meeting, D.O head towards the parking lot, while Kai tries to catch up with him.

“Hey, where are we going?” Kai asked.

“We’re going to the victim’s house.” D.O said in brief.

After several minutes of driving, D.O and Kai had arrived at the victim’s house and asking few questions to the victim’s mother.

“Excuse me, did Bang Yong Guk had anyone who might be hostile to him, or maybe anyone who harassed him with personal debts or loans?” Kai asked.

“No. He’s not strong enough to make anyone hold any grudge against him, He would rather be cheated by others.” The victim’s mother stated.

“Do you mind if I look around your son’s room?” D.O asked.

“Not at all.”

There was not much to find inside the victim’s room. The room was neat and clean, without anything strange in it. After several minutes, D.O left the room and the house with Kai, to go to the victim’s firm.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After they arrived at the firm, they asked to meet with the victim’s partner and asked a few questions.

“Could you tell us anything about the victim?” Kai asked.

“Well, most of the time, I was in charge to deal with people, while Yong Guk was in charge with the design. His interaction is limited. The only places he would be is either his home or this firm.” The victim’s partner, Yoo Yeon Seok stated.

“By any chance, did you notice something different about Yong Guk? Did he had some kind of agony or something like that?” Kai asked.

“Not really. Ah, actually…” Yeon Seok looks hesitate to say anything for a while.

“Yes?” Kai asked.

“It looked like he was in some kind of relationship with Park Cho Rong.” Finally Yeon Seok decide to say it.

“Who is this Park Cho Rong?” Kai asked.

“Park Cho Rong is his classmate from the same university. She once dated Yong Guk. She often called Yong Guk and ask him to meet her. I just don’t get it. Why would a married woman try to keep him on the hook?”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the interview, D.O made a phone call to the station, asking Min Kyu to find out about Park Cho Rong’s home address and drive to her house.

D.O and Kai were greeted by Park Cho Rong, who happens to be alone at home. After all of them settled down on the couch, Kai start to ask a few questions.

“We heard that you and Yong Guk once dated before?”

“Yes. We were classmates in the same university.” Cho Rong answered.

“Did your husband know about your relationship with Yong Guk?” Kai asked.

“Huh? Yes. We’re casually met at the gathering, before we get married.”

“We heard that you still frequently meeting with Yong Guk, even after you had married. Is that true?”

“We used to meet each other. But recently, we didn’t do it again.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost at the same time, Park Cho Rong’s husband, Lee Gi Kwang and her mother in law, Shin Min Sook entered the house. Seeing there are strangers in his house, Gi Kwang asked them, “Who are you? Why did you come to my house?”

“We’re apologize for our sudden visit. I’m Detective Kim from Violent Crimes Department and this is Detective D.O. We had a few question to ask your wife, regarding to our case.”

“What’s the matter?” Gi Kwang asked.

“Do you know Bang Yong Guk?” Kai asked. “Yesterday, he was found dead with unknown cause.”

“So, why is that related to us? Leave now!” Gi Kwang said.

“Let’s leave, D.O. We’ll call you later.” Kai said to Park Cho Rong.

“That won’t be necessary. Please don’t bother her again.” Gi Kwang said.

“Let’s go, D.O.” Kai urge D.O to leave the house

“One more question.” D.O stated calmly.

“She’s already said that she had nothing to say to you.” Gi Kwang responded.

“My question is not for your wife. It’s for you.” D.O said calmly. “Where did you go and what did you do on July 4th?

“I was on a business trip in Japan.” Gi Kwang replied.

“Thank you.” D.O and Kai excused themselves and leave the house to go back to the station.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At The Station…

“D.O, here’s the list of Mr. Lee’s Entry Record.” Min Kyu give it to D.O.

“Mr. Lee?” D.O asked.

“Yes, Mr. Lee Gi Kwang. He’s the husband of Park Cho Rong.”

“Listen up everyone. I have a new information regarding to the case.” Jang Se Jong announced. “Let’s get him.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, inside the interrogation room, Kai interrogate Yoo Yeon Seok, the victim’s business partner.

“Why do you call me here?” Yeon Seok asked.

“Nothing important. It’s just that, recently, you have received most of Yong Guk’s equity.”

“So? What’s your point?”

“After receiving an award, the company’s value was skyrocketing, and your partner was missing just in time. His equity was sold at a low price, and the entire company became yours. Don’t you think it’s quite coincidence?

“Are you insinuating that I killed Yong Guk?” Yeon Seok asked.

“Well, did you?” Kai asked in response.

“How could a person in Busan kill someone in Seoul?”

“My research indicated that there was one day when you’re not on the site, because you didn’t feel well. But why is the date is July 4th?

“At that time, I really didn’t feel well.” Yeon Seok replied.

“I see. Do you have anyone to support your alibi?” Kai asked again.

“Well…”

“Who could support your alibi, since you took the medicine and slept all day? Let’s move on from your cliché comments.” Kai stated.

“Look, about the equity issue that you mentioned earlier, it was predetermined before Yong Guk’s disappearance. Yong Guk told me that he wasn’t the right person for the management, and he would like to focus on the design. I was Yong Guk’s best friend! Why are you doing this to me???” Yeon Seok practically yelled at Kai in his frustration.

“Kai, come out for a moment.” The chief ordered from the microphone in the other side of the room.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Find out whether he visit a hospital nearby the site on that day. If he didn’t visit the hospital on that day, than we could make him as our suspect. In the mean time, we’ll have to let him go.” The chief explained.

“But chief…” Kai retorted weakly.

“Do it, Kai.” Jae Young ordered firmly.

Kai entered the interrogation room again and telling Yeon Seok that he could leave the station for now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, in the other part of the town, D.O had asked to meet with Lee Gi Kwang and both of them had been sit face to face inside a coffee shop for a while.

“I have a business meeting soon. So, let’s get this over with.” Gi Kwang said.

“Ok. Where were you and what did you do on the night of July 4th?

“Did you call someone busy like me, just because of that?” Gi Kwang rolled his eyes. “I’ve already told you, I was on a business trip in Japan.”

“No. Actually I called you because of this.” D.O placed the entry record of Lee Gi Kwang on the table.

“This is…. I mean….” Gi Kwang stuttered.

“You had returned to Seoul on July 2nd, then you left again July 6th. I had asked your company and they said, at that time, you were on your vacation. Now, tell me. What did you do during those dates?” D.O asked firmly.

“Actually I had doubts about their relationship for a while. My friend told me that he saw them meeting together. So I went to the café where they promised to meet each other, and listen to their conversation.” Gi Kwang heaved a deep sigh before continues. “My wife said to him, they shouldn’t meet each other again, since their friendship might make people misunderstood them. At the end of the day, I was sure that it’s all just a big misunderstanding.”

“What did you do afterwards?” D.O asked.

“Afterwards, I just stayed at the hotel suite and check out on the next day.”

“Ok. That’s all for now. Thank you for your cooperation.” D.O stood up and left the café.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back At The Station…

“Hey, D.O. Where have you been?” Kai asked when D.O arrives at the station.

“I’m checking out something. By the way, Kai, please check on Mr. Lee Gi Kwang’s alibi. He said that he stayed in the hotel on July 2nd, and he’s checking out on the next day. See if he’s telling the truth.” D.O said.

“I’m on it.” Kai nodded.

“Oh, one more thing, what about Mr. Yoo Yeon Seok? Have you check on his alibi?” D.O asked.

“I’m working on it.” Kai replied. “The chief also asked me to do the same thing earlier.”

“Okay. Let me know if you had confirmed their alibi.” D.O said to Kai before he turned around to walk to the opposite direction.

“Hey, where are you going?” Kai called out for D.O.

“I have to check on something.” D.O responded. “Call me if you had confirm their alibi.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D.O went outside to call a certain someone. After it rings twice, his call finally answered.

“Oh Sung Agency. How may I help you?”

“Uncle Oh, it’s me Kyung Soo.”

“Hey, Kyung Soo. What’s up?” Yoo Oh Sung greeted him excitedly. “It’s been years since I last saw you. Now you’ve all grown up and become a police officer. Your dad would be so proud of you.”

“Thanks, uncle. By the way, do you still remember about the special force unit?”

“Hm, what about it?”

“I was wondering if I could go to your place. There’s something that I want to ask you.” D.O said.

“Come over. I’ll do anything I could to help you.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several minutes later, D,O arrived at Oh Sung Agency, and greeted by Yoo Oh Sung with a warm hug.

“Let me take a look at you.” Yoo Oh Sung observed D.O for a while. “Man, you had grown up to be a fine looking man.”

“Thanks, Uncle Oh. I’m sorry if I’m bothering you in your work.” D.O apologized.

“Nah… Not at all. I’m happy to see you. You can drop by anytime you want. You’ll always welcome here.” Oh Sung tapped on D.O’s shoulder. “By the way, what do you want to ask me?”

“Here.” D.O showed a picture of the knot which was used to bind the victim. “Do you recognized this knot?”

“Hm, it looks like the kind of knot which was used in the special force unit.” Oh Sung pondered.

“That’s what I thought.” D.O agreed. “Do you know who’s the member of the special force unit?” D.O asked.

“Even though I’m one of the member, we don’t keep in touch with each other, after the unit was dismissed years ago.” Oh Sung said.

“Then, can I at least have their names?” D.O asked.

“I’m sorry, Kyung Soo. Even though the special force unit had been disbanded, each one of us had pledged not to share any members’ information to others, since most of us now had been living a normal life. It would be too dangerous for us all, if anyone knows about our identity back then. Our family would be targetted by our enemies. You know what I meant, right?” Oh Sung said.

“Is that so? It’s okay. I understand. Then I had to go back to the station now. Thanks for your information, Uncle Oh.”

“No problem, Kyung Soo. I’m sorry I couldn’t give any information about the special force unit, but you can always drop by anytime you want. You’ll always welcome here.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While D.O driving back to the station, Kai had confirmed the alibi of Lee Gi Kwang and Yoo Yeon Sook. But when he’s about to call D.O’s phone, JB whispers to Kai.

(“Kai, look at the phone.”)

“I’m looking at it.”

(“Not your phone, idiot. The victim’s phone.”)

“It’s dead. It’s not working at all.”

(“It was working a while ago, and it showed a license plate number of 2972”)

“What? Why are you telling me now?” Kai hissed.

(“You can scold me later, but aren’t you supposed to check on the license plate number?)

Kai hastily check on the license plate number, then he called D.O.

“D.O.” D.O answered after Kai’s call ring twice.

“D.O. It’s Kai. I’ve check on their alibi. There’s a medical record from the hospital near the site, where Yoo Yeon Seok being administered. And about Lee Gi Kwang, I’ve check the hotel where he stayed, and they have confirmed that he left the hotel on July 3rd.

“I see. Ok. I’m on my way back to the station.” D.O said before he hangs up the phone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(“Clear motivation… bulletproof alibis… professional skills… I won’t be surprised if it turned out someone hired an assassin for this murder. Then it would all make sense.” JB whispers.)

“JB…” Kai said in low voice.

(“What?”)

“Do you have any information about a hired assassin?” Kai asked JB.

(“Hm, let me think. I think there’s this weird guy who might know something about it. He was killed by a hired assassin, so he must have known something. But, he’s not too friendly, if you ask me.”)

“Could you take me to him?” Kai asked in low voice.

(“Sure. I know where he likes to hang around.”)

“Ok. Let’s go.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JB lead the way to an abandoned building, not too far from the police station, and then JB called out his spirit friend.

(“Hey, In Suk, are you here? There’s someone who wants to talk to you.” JB called out.)

(“Go away, JB. I don’t want to play with you. Leave me alone!” Another voice responded.)

(“Come on, In Suk. Come out first. I brought a police officer. Maybe he could help you in finding your killer.”)

(“A Police? Hmph. They’re just useless human beings. They can’t even find my killer, yet now they want to talk to me? Bull!”)

(“Come on, In Suk. Just talk to him, okay? He’s a friend of mine. Besides, he could see and communicate with us. He’s not like any ordinary police, you know?” JB tries to persuade In Suk.)

(“Fine! But if he couldn’t catch my killer, I’ll haunt him for the rest of his life!”)

A man who’s being called In Suk, suddenly appeared in front of Kai.

(“What do you want to know?” In Suk asked.)

“I was wondering if you know anything about hired assassins. Maybe some clue, information, or how to contact them.” Kai asked.

(“All I know that, if someone wants to hire an assassin, they went to SCH Website. It’s a website selling second-hand goods. Then you look for any strange price for buying any ordinary goods on the site. That’s how you find a hired assassin.”)

“Got it. Thanks.” Kai turned around and about to leave the place, when In Suk called out for him.

(“Hey! Aren’t you forgetting something?”)

“Ah, right. Your killer.” Kai turned around again to face the spirit. “So, do you remember your killer’s description?”

(“No.”)

“Then, do you know his name?” Kai asked again.

(“No.”)

“Then what do you remember?” Kai rolled his eyes.

(“I remember that I died in this building?”)

“Is that supposed to be an information?” Kai huffed a deep sigh. “I’ll tell you what, first, I have an assassin to catch, then I’ll look for any information about your death. How’s that sound?” Kai tries to make a deal.

(“How would I know that you’re not lying to me?”)

“If you don’t trust me, then feel free to follow me around. I don’t mind.” Kai smirked. “But, if you want to come with me, there’s one important role, no matter what you do, you must not interfere with any humans’ lives or pestering them. Otherwise, I’ll banish you from the spirit world, and you’ll never be reborn again.” Kai said seriously.

(“Okay. Deal.”)

“Good. Try to be friends with JB here. He’s a good man… err… I mean… good spirit.” Kai corrected his words. “Let’s go then.”

Kai, JB and In Suk left the building and headed back to the station.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Kai back at the station, D.O haven’t arrived. So, he went to his desk and start to browse in SCH Website. Few minutes later, D.O arrived at the station, and see Kai staring at his monitor with his eyes wide-opened, as if he’s about to swallow the whole monitor.

D.O went to his desk and start to re-organize his findings about the case so far, in silence.

(Bang Yong Guk, 28 years old. A single man who own an architectural firm with his partner, Yoo Yeon Seok. He’s missing on July 4th, after work. Based on Lee Gi Kwang’s testimony, the victim met his wife, Park Cho Rong, on July 3rd, for the last time. Yoo Yeon Seok’s alibi had been proven by the hospital’s staff, and Lee Gi Kwang’s alibi is supported by the hotel staff. If they didn’t kill him, then who is it? Park Cho Rong? Damn, why do I feel like I’m missing something here. But what is it? What did I miss here?)

“Hey, D.O.” Kai called out and pulled D.O back from his thoughts.

“Hm?” D.O looked at Kai from the corner of his eyes.

“Here. I’ve got a license plate number from the victim’s phone.” Kai handed over the license plate number to D.O.

“What? I thought the victim’s phone couldn’t be restored.” D.O exclaimed.

“That’s what I thought too. But then again, it was for a while, and I saw this license plate number. I thought you should know about it.”

D.O take a glance of the license plate number nonchalantly, but all of a sudden, his eyes widened in disbelief.

(This license plate number… no way… it can’t be… it must be wrong.)

“Are you sure that this is a valid information?” D.O turned to ask Kai.

“Yes. Why? Do you know who owns it?” Kai asked.

“No. I don’t.” D.O turned away. “By the way, what are you doing?”

“Oh, I’ve got another information about the murderer. I thought the murderer could be a hired assassin. I still don’t know if it’s a valid one or not though.” Kai answered.

“What do you have?” D.O take a peek on Kai’s monitor.

“You see, my informant says that the hired assassin and the client contact each other in this website. I have to find some strange goods being sold in here, and I’m totally have no idea about what I’m looking for.” Kai said in his frustration.

“Hm… What about this one?” D.O pointed at one item on the website.

“No. I don’t think it’s the one. It’s still look like an ordinary transaction for me.” Kai shake his head in disagreement.

“Then, what about this one?” D.O pointed at a figurine, which being sold at the website in a remarkable price.

“That’s common.” Kai said.

“What? A robot for $95,000 is a common thing?” D.O’s eyes widened in disbelief.

“It’s a common price for Gundam, especially this one. It’s the best quality and wanted by many collectors. Hence, the remarkable price.”

“It’s unbelievable.” D.O shake his head in disbelief. “There is actually someone who wants to buy this robot at this price?”

“Believe it or not, but there are many Gundam collectors all over the world who’s crazy enough to buy it.” Kai said.

“Then, what about this one?” D.O pointed at another item, a shoe, marked as $10,000.

“It does look strange.” Kai said in agreement. “Who would want to buy a pair of second hand shoes with no famous brand for that price? This must be it.” Kai agrees.

“Hold on. I’ll try to type a message for him to meet us.” D.O said and went back to his desk, to type the message.

“Done. Let’s see if he takes the bait.” D.O stated when he’s done typing the message.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unknown to D.O and Kai, a certain someone, somewhere, read the message, and track their IP address. When it turned out to be an IP address for Seoul Police Station, the man smirked to himself, and knows that it’s a trap. But despite of that, the man decide to reply the message by agreeing to meet with D.O in front of a subway station, tomorrow at noon.

Tomorrow noon, D.O had waited for the man to show up, in front of the subway station. However, minutes after minutes had passed, yet the man is nowhere to be seen. While D.O is wondering whether he keeps on waiting or left the place, suddenly his phone rings.

“D.O.”

“D.O, It’s Kai. Park Cho Rong has just been kidnapped. From the video footage of the CCTV outside her house, the kidnapper drive a car with license plate number 2972. We’ve track the GPS of the car, and it headed to Jinyang Lake.” Kai report his findings.

“Got it. I’m on my way there.” D.O said.

“Wait, D.O. Don’t go there by yourself! He’s dangerous!” Kai screamed over the phone, but the phone has been hang up by D.O.

“Damn it!” Kai cursed to himself.

“Where’s my key?” Kai looked around for his bike’s key. When Kai finally find his key, he dash to the parking lot and drive off in full speed to Jinyang Lake.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D.O arrives at Jinyang Lake and looked around, then he saw Park Cho Rong’s body laying on the ground, with a man hovering over her body. From his movement, D.O could easily know that the man about to kill Park Cho Rong.

“Freeze!” D.O exclaims.

“Ho ho ho… look who’s here.” The man smirked. “The great D.O has arrived.”

“Don’t do it, Uncle Oh. You used to be a respectable police officer.” D.O said.

“And look what it got me? Nothing! I’m just a mere private detective after I serve the country for years!” The man, Yoo Oh Sung exclaims. “By doing this, I could earn lots of money and make use of my skills!” Oh Sung starts to shoot at D.O.

Fortunately, D.O able to lowered his body at the right time and avoid the shots, then he went to the nearby tree to take cover from the rain of bullets.

“Uncle Oh, you shouldn’t do this.” D.O tries to talk to him from behind the tree where he’s hiding.

“You know, Kyung Soo. I’ll always love how you always work alone by yourself. Do you know why the higher ups always make the police officer to work in pair? Because at times like this, a partner plays a very important role. Fortunately, you opposed that opinion, and always work alone. Ha Ha Ha.” Yoo Oh Sung hides himself while taking another shots at D.O.

D.O look at his surroundings and his gaze fall over Park Cho Rong’s body who’s still laying on the ground near Yoo Oh Sung, and become worried of her safety. D.O tries to approach Park Cho Rong quietly, but he failed, because the moment he comes out from his hiding, Yoo Oh Sung had stand in front of him, with his gun points directly at him.

D.O raised his hand in the air, while saying, “You know, Uncle Oh, sometimes I’m not always alone. Back up is coming.”

“That’s bull.” Oh Sung said.

Almost at the same time, Kai has arrive at Jinyang Lake.

“Freeze.” Kai said while pointing his gun at Yoo Oh Sung’s back.

“See, I’ve told you, I’m not always alone.” D.O smirked. “Give it up, Uncle.”

“You know, Kyung Soo, I don’t work with the police for years and knows nothing. The first bullet is always blank.” Yoo Oh Sung swirl around and shoot at Kai.

“No!” D.O scream in shock and push himself towards Yoo Oh Sung, resulting in Yoo Oh Sung falls to the ground with D.O sitting on top of him. At that moment, D.O starts to punch Yoo Oh Sung’s face and didn’t stop till his face covered with lots of blood.

“How could you do that!” D.O yelled while he keeps on punching Yoo Oh Sung.

After Yoo Oh Sung faints, D.O stops punching him and approach Kai’s body that lays on the ground nearby.

“No! Kai! No! Wake up!” D.O said while shaking Kai’s listless body.

Kai didn’t move, not even after D.O shaking his body with all of his might. Only after D.O observe Kai’s body, he heave a deep sigh in relief. Fortunately, Kai had prepared himself by wearing a bulletproof vest, so the bullet didn’t went through his heart. In other words, Kai just fainted.

Several minutes later, the back ups come to the scene and take Yoo Oh Sung away.

D.O takes Kai back with his car, and ask one of the team member to bring Kai’s bike, back to the station.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case Closure :

After couple of hours interrogation, Yoo Oh Sung finally admits who was his client and ordered him to kill Bang Yong Guk and a murder attempt of Park Cho Rong. His client is Park Cho Rong’s mother-in-law, Shin Min Sook.

Lee Gi Kwang couldn’t believe that his own mother would think of paying anyone to murder someone, moreover, his own mother even tried to murder his wife.

“Why did you do it, mother?” Lee Gi Kwang looks at his mother with disbelief shown on his face. “How could you do that?”

“Gi Kwang, you know that I love you, right?” Shin Min Sook said. “There’s no one else in this world, who loves you like I do. Not even that .”

“Mother, the one you called is my wife, and I love her so much. How could you do that to her?” Lee Gi Kwang said.

“She didn’t love you, son.” Shin Min Sook shakes her head. “She cheated on you. I’m the one who loves you the most. You know that, right? Are you hungry? I’ll go and cook something for you.” Shin Min Sook stood up and about to leave the interrogation room.

“Hey, where do you think you’re going?” Se Jong hold Shin Min Sook's hand to stop her from leaving the interrogation room.

“Let me go. I have to cook something for my son. My dear son is hungry. I have to cook something for him. Let me go!” Shin Min Sook said while trying to release herself from the grip.

Lee Gi Kwang didn’t say anything in response and he left the interrogation room to go home.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Phew. I can’t believe that the mother in law is the one who hire an assassin to kill Bang Yong Guk. She even tried to kill her own daughter-in-law.” Min Kyu said in disbelief.

“Well, she became a widow at young age, and ever since then, she dedicate her life to raise her son, to the point where she became obssessed with her son. She thought that she’s the only one who loved her son, and no one else could love her son the way she did.” Kai said.

“I’ve checked on her medical record, and it’s stated that Shin Min Sook currently under treatment over excessive delusion. Maybe she thinks that her daughter in law wants to take her son away from her, so she decided to kill her.” D.O shrugged.

“I think there’s definitely something wrong with her brain.” Kai nodded in his own agreement. “It’s obvious! How could someone be so heartless and thought of doing such thing? She’s absolutely a psychopath.”

D.O froze in his seat at Kai’s words of “heartless” and “psychopath”. His mind travelled back, way in the past, where he first heard those harsh words, being spoken directly in front of his face, by someone dearly to him.

“Hey, D.O., are you okay?” Kai looked at D.O worriedly.

“Huh? Oh. I’m fine. I was just thinking about something.” D.O shrugged.

“Are you sure you’re okay? Your face looked a bit pale.” Kai said while observing D.O.

“I’m fine. I think I just need some sleep.” D.O said.

“Then, do you want me to drive you home?” Kai asked. “I could drive your car to your home and went back to the station to get my bike, if you want.” Kai offered.

“No, that won’t be necessary. Thanks Kai. I think I’ll just drive myself home.” D.O grab his car key, put on his coat and head towards the door, leaving Kai in confusion.

Inside his car, D.O mumbles to himself. “Heartless… psycopath… huh? It’s been quite some time since the last time I’ve heard those words.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------