Kai's First Case

Nephalem

When Kai was still a traffic officer, he encountered with a case, which had made him want to be a detective in Violent Crimes Department.

 

It was 3 years ago, in Hansung University Hospital, Kai was helping a granny who was fainting on the street and take her to the hospital. At the hospital, Kai met a 7 year old girl who was diagnosed with a leukimia. The young girl had run away from his nurses, refuse to take her medicine and went into hiding, after she run passed Kai.

 

From the nurses’ conversation, Kai found out that the girl had to get a certain shot, or else, the girl would get into a shock. Kai walked through the hallway, where he last seen the girl, and soon after he found where the girl’s hiding.

 

“Hey, kid. You shouldn’t run away like that, you know.” Kai scold the girl gently.

 

“Ah. You’ve found me.” The girl said to Kai. “Mommy told me to hide myself well, so the bad guys won’t get me. Did I hid myself well enough?” The girl asked Kai innocently.

 

“Yes, you hid yourself so well, and I could barely found you.” Kai smiled and ruffled the girl’s hair. “But, you should go back to your room to get your medicine. So you could get well soon.”

 

“Okay.” The girl obediently said to Kai.

 

However, after saying those words, the girl went into shock and lost her conciousness in Kai’s embrace.

 

Kai became panic and scream for help. “Hello? Is anyone there? There’s a fainting girl here.”

 

Not too long afterwards, several nurses came rushed to Kai and take the girl to her room for her treatment.

 

Kai followed them to the girl’s room and waited for a while, to make sure that the girl was indeed okay. After he was sure, Kai stood up and started to walk out from the room.

 

Kai had just walked three steps from the door, when suddenly he felt that there’s someone grabbed his pants. He looked down and saw the same little girl who had just passed out in his embrace, earlier.

 

“Mister.…” The girl started to talk. “You are a policeman, right?”

 

“Yes, kid. “ Kai crouched down and talk to the girl. “What can I do to help you?”

 

“Could you please find my mother?” The girl pleaded with teary eyes.

 

“Did your mom went missing?” Kai asked the girl.

 

“Yes. She’s supposed to visit me everyday, but she didn’t come for 5 days now.” The girl said while sobbing.

 

“Do you have her picture?” Kai asked.

 

“Yes. Here.” The girl handed her mom’s picture to Kai. “Please, you have to find my mom. I’m afraid that something might have happened to her.”

 

“I’ll do my best, kid.” Kai assured the girl. “What’s your name?”

 

“I’m Han Seo Jin. My mom’s name is Baek In Ha.” Seo Jin said to Kai. 

 

“And these…” Seo Jin gave some candies to Kai. “… are the payment to find my mom.”

 

Kai took the picture and returned the candies to Seo Jin. “You don’t have to pay me, kid. It’s my job anyway.” Kai reassured Seo Jin.

 

“You don’t want to take the candies?” Seo Jin lowered her head. “But that’s all that I had.”

 

Kai heave a deep sigh and said, “Okay, I’ll take the candies and I’ll find your mommy.”

 

“Really? Promise?” Seo Jin had stop crying and now she’s looking at Kai with beady eyes.

 

“Promise. But… you have to promise me that you’ll take your medicine and never tries to run away from your room again.” Kai scolded Seo Jin.

 

“I promise.” Seo Jin said cheerfully and wave her goodbye to Kai, before she went back to her room.

 

Afterwards, Kai went back to the office to find more information about Baek In Ha.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At The Police Station…

 

Kai arrived at the police station and saw there was a chaos going on, and asked one of his colleague about what happened.

 

“Two men got into a car accident. One of them claimed that he saw a ghost, and it made him crash into another car.” Kai’s colleague explained.

 

“That’s insane.” Kai said.

 

“Yeah, right.” Kai’s colleague agreed.

 

“Mr. Officer, please believe me. I’m telling the truth. I was too shocked to see that my passanger suddenly vanished from the back seat, so I stepped on the brake and hit his car.” The taxi driver said in his defense.

 

“Oh give me a break. You must be drinking. That’s why you’re seeing things. There’s no such thing as a ghost.” The other man exclaimed.

 

“I really see a ghost. When I passed by the route 69, there’s a woman who stopped my taxi. I pulled over and picked her up. But, 5 minutes later, when I looked back from my rear-view mirror, the woman disappear. It’s true, officer. I’m telling the truth here.”

 

Despite of uttering any words, Kai just sit down and looked at Baek In Ha’s picture.

 

All of a sudden, the taxi driver exclaimed in shock. “That’s her. See, I’m telling the truth. That’s the woman I saw. She’s the ghost.” The taxi driver said while pointing at the picture.

 

“Are you saying that this woman is the ghost who you saw earlier?” Kai asked while showing the picture.

 

“That’s right. It’s her. She’s the ghost.” The taxi driver stated firmly.

 

“Oh, come on. You’re just making it up. You just want to avoid the consequences, right?” The other man said while grabbing tha taxi driver’s hand.

 

“But… but…”

 

“Alright you two. Cut it out. Now let’s wrap it up and file the report, okay?” One of Kai’s college, Dae Hyun tried to stop their arguments.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Meanwhile, Kai left the police station and all of its chaos, to go home. However, when he’s about to ride his bike, suddenly he saw a speeding taxi pass him by, followed by a police car. Soon after, Dae Hyun called out for Kai and told him that there was a call asking for back up in chasing an illegal taxi.

 

Kai rushed to his bike and join in the chasing. After chasing the taxi for a while, Kai notice the taxi parked near an abandoned building. He looked around the area, but he couldn’t find anyone around. Just when Kai was about the leave the area, he heard a woman’s voice screaming for help, and it came from the inside of the abandoned building. So, Kai entered the building to look for the source of the screaming.

 

Several minutes later, Kai found a woman laying trembling on the damp floor, looking so terrified. Kai approached the woman while asking if she was okay. Suddenly, Kai felt the presence of another person in the room.

 

Kai ducked to avoid the man’s hit at the perfect time, and fight with his attacker for a while. When Kai was about to win the fight, the attacker grabs the woman who was laid on the floor.

 

“Step back… or she will die.” The man threatened Kai.

 

“Look, calm down, okay. Just give up. You’ve got nowhere to run.” Kai tried to talk to him.

 

The attacker just smirked as his response and within seconds, he had slit the woman’s throat with his pocket knife and release the woman to fall to the ground.

 

“Nooooo!!!” Kai screamed in shock.

 

“Hmpft. You can choose to run after me, and she dies within less than 5 minutes. Or, you can save her and take her to the hospital.” The man smirked at Kai, before he swirled around and run away from the building.

 

Meanwhile, Kai embrace the woman in his arms and try his best to stop the bleeding. “Don’t worry. You’re gonna be okay.” Kai assured the woman, while he dialled the emergency number on his cellphone.

 

Luckily, the ambulance immediately arrived at the area and take the woman to the hospital, leaving Kai stunned with what had just happened. When he was questioned by the Violent Crimes Team, Kai answered all of their questions with a blank look on his face.

 

“Do you know who’s the attacker?”

 

“No.”

 

“Do you see his face?”

 

“No. It was too dark. All I know that he’s wearing a hoodie and his hat hangs low, almost covering his entire face.” Kai answered.

 

“How do you end up here?”

 

“I was following an illegal taxi, after I heard the call for back up.” Kai stated.

 

“Why did you entered the building?”

 

“I’ve heard a screaming, and I went inside to check on it.” Kai responded.

 

“I see. Are you sure you’re okay?”

 

“I’m fine. Is that all?” Kai asked.

 

“Yeah. That’s all for now. You can go now.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At Kai’s Apartment…

 

Kai felt so exhausted today. Today was supposed to be another calm day, yet it turned out to be a chaotic day. As soon as he entered his apartment, Kai slumped himself to the couch and huffed a deep sigh. Fragments of memories started to play in Kai’s head. When Kai fought with the attacker earlier, he notice something at the back of his attacker’s neck. A black star tattoo. Kai remember that he once saw that tattoo, but he just couldn’t remember when or where he saw it before. Kai huffed a deep sigh and emptying his pockets, to prepare himself for a bath, before he went to sleep. But then, his eyes caught something among his things from his pocket.

 

5 candies…

 

Kai couldn’t believe how stupid he was. How could he forgot about finding Baek In Ha?

 

Kai hastily grabbed his jacket, his bike’s key and headed to the door. As he recall his memory, he drove to route 69, where the spirit was seen earlier.

 

At route 69, Kai pulled over and looked around. Then Kai saw her. Kai saw Baek In Ha, standing in the park, looking straight at Kai with a sad look on her face. Kai followed her into the park, until she stopped in a secluded area of the park and vanished. Kai keep on walking, while his heart beats faster in every single step that he made. Kai knew exactly of what he would find there, but somehow, he still have a slight hope that he’s wrong.

 

When Kai arrived at the spot, he saw a female corpse around 30 something, with dry blood on her head, laying on the ground, breathless. It’s Baek In Ha’s body.

 

(Seo Jin… I’m sorry… I’m sorry, Seo Jin….)

 

Kai barely heard the voice as he crouched down to check on the corpse and sighed. “Don’t worry. I’ll tell her.”

 

Kai fished out his cellphone from his pocket and start to dial the office. Dae Hyun who was on the night shift, picked up his call and report it to the headquarters.

 

Fifteen minutes later, a team of Violent Crimes Department arrive at the crime scene, and again, they’re asking Kai few questions.

 

“It’s you again? What are you doing here?” The same detective from the assault asked Kai.

 

“I was just driving for some fresh air.”

 

“Just a moment ago, you’re at a crime scene of an assault, now you’re at another crime scene of a murder, just within hours apart?”

 

“….”

 

“If you said that it was just a mere coincidence, I’ll be a fool to believe it.” The detective shakes his head in disbelief.

 

“It’s the truth, sir. I just happen to be around here, that’s all.”

 

“Either you’re a super cop or you’re just a bad luck, kid.”

 

“…”

 

“By the way, did you know the victim?”

 

“Yes, sir.

 

“What’s her name? We couldn’t find any ID on her.

 

“Her name is Baek In Ha, sir.

 

“How did you know the victim?”

 

“Her child asked me to find her.”

 

“I see. Then how did you identify her?”

 

“I’ve got her picture. Her daughter gave it to me.”

 

“Can I have it?”

 

“Sure. Here.” Kai hand over Baek In Ha’s picture to the detective.

 

“Okay. That’s your bike right there, right?” The detective pointed to Kai’s bike.

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

“This place is quite far from the road. What makes you come here? Do you see anything, or heard anything?” He asked Kai again.

 

“No, sir. As I’ve told you before. I was just wandering around for some fresh air, then I stumble upon something. When I looked down, I see….. I found the corpse. Then, I reported to the station and stayed until you arrived here.”

 

“I see.” The detective scribbled something on his notebook.

 

“Excuse me, sir. What happened to her? What’s the cause of her death?”

 

“Looks like it was a robbery. All of her valuable things are missing, and she was hit on her head, but we still have to wait for further examination from the forensic team.”

 

“…”

 

“Anyway. Good job.” The detective clicked his pen and joined with the forensic team in examining the corpse.

 

Kai huffed a deep sigh as he walked back to where his bike parked. After put on his helmet, Kai drive away from the crime scene, while wondering what would he say to Seo Jin at the hospital?

 

Kai went straight to his apartment and slump himself on the couch as soon as he entered his apartment. Today is such a hectic day. After resting for a while, stood up, pacing back and forth for numerous times, Kai still couldn’t find the best way to tell Seo Jin about her mother.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The Next Morning…

 

Early morning, Kai had arrived at Hansung University Hospital. Last night, Kai barely sleep a wink, since he always thought of Seo Jin’s reaction about her mother.

 

Kai waited for the visiting hours, right outside Seo Jin’s room, heaving and huffing lots of deep sighs to calm his nervousness. When it’s time for visiting hours, Kai huffed one final deep sigh to brace himself, before he start to knock on the door.

 

“Morning, Seo Jin.” Kai greeted as he pop up his head from the door. “How are you today?”

 

“Oh, Mr. Officer. Have you found my mom?” Seo Jin sit up when she saw Kai.

 

“Err… about that… well… Seo Jin… I’m sorry…” Kai have no idea how to deliver the news to Seo Jin.

 

“Ah, you haven’t found her yet? Where could she be? She didn’t visit me for a whole week now. She’s not sick, right?” Seo Jin wondered and fidgeting with her little fingers. “Dad said that mom went to visit grandma. But, it’s been a week, why didn’t she come back? I miss her so much.” Seo Jin started to sob.

 

“Seo Jin….” Kai approached Seo Jin’s bed and try to comfort her. “Your mom missed you too.”

 

“You found my mom? Where is she? Is she coming with you?” Seo Jin looked at the door anxiously.

 

“Well…. Seo Jin… I found your mom…. But she…. Well… she… I’m sorry, Seo Jin….”

 

“Why are you sorry, Mr. Officer. If you found my mom, then I should thank you. Why did you say you’re sorry?” Seo Jin asked while looking at Kai curiously.

 

“Well… Seo Jin… sigh… I found your mom… but she…. She’s in heaven now.” Kai said in a low voice.

 

“What did you say? Heaven? Are you saying….? No… no… no… you’re lying.” Seo Jin shaked her head furiously in disbelief.

 

“I wish I was lying, Seo Jin. But… it’s the truth. I’m sorry, Seo Jin.” Kai lowered his head, unable to look straight to Seo Jin’s eyes.

 

“No… you’re lying. You’re lying to me! My mom is alive! You’re lying!!!” Seo Jin practically screamed and start to throw her pillows to Kai.

 

Due to the incidents, Seo Jin went into another shock. Her body trembling uncontrollably and fainted.

 

“Seo Jin… Seo Jin… wake up… Seo Jin… no… no… doctor.. nurse…” Kai panic and start to call out the doctor.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Seo Jin… how are you today. Daddy’s here. I brought you a new doll.” Suddenly a middle aged man entered the room and see Kai inside the room. “Who are you? What have you done to my kid!” The man yelled at Kai.

 

“I’m not doing anything, sir. I swear to God, I’m not doing anything to her.” Kai tried to convince the man.

 

“Get out of here! If something happen to my kid, you won’t live to see the sunset!” The man threatened Kai.

 

“I’m sorry, sir. I’m so sorry, sir.” Kai leave the room hastily.

 

Soon after, the doctor and nurses entered Seo Jin’s room and start to examine her.

 

“Please leave the room. We have to take care of Seo Jin.” One of the nurse asked Kai to leave the room.

 

“But… But… is she okay?” Seo Jin’s father stuttered while he’s looking at Seo Jin’s condition.

 

“We’re going to do our best to make sure that she’s okay. Now please, leave the room.” The nurse insist.

 

Seo Jin’s father leave the room listlessly and closed the door behind him. Outside, he almost bump into Kai.

 

“Is Seo Jin okay? How is she?” Kai asked nervously.

 

“You, young man! We have to talk! Follow me!” The man ordered Kai to follow him.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At The Coffee Shop Downstairs…

 

Kai and Seo Jin’s father went downstairs to the coffee shop and sit face to face while sipping on their coffee.

 

“Now, talk! Who are you and what the hell have you done with my daughter?” The man glared furiously at Kai.

 

“I…I’m Kim Jong In, sir. I’m a police officer.” Kai stuttered.

 

“What are you doing in my daughter’s room?”

 

“I… you see.. your daughter asked me to find her mother, and I was telling her that I’ve found her.”

 

“You found Baek In Ha? Where is she? Is she okay?” The man asked nervously.

 

“Ah… about that. She’s dead, sir. Her body was found in a park near route 69.”

 

“She’s what?” The man exclaimed in shocked. “She’s dead?”

 

“Unfortunately, yes sir.”

 

“How?” The man asked in low voice.

 

“It looked like a robbery, sir. All of her valuable things were missing. She didn’t even have her ID with her. I happened to know her, because of the picture that Seo Jin gave to me.”

 

“Where was she taken to?”

 

“The headquarter, sir. Seoul Police Station. I think they’ll call you soon to inform you about this matter, sir.”

 

“Thank you, officer….?”

 

“Kim, Sir. Kim Jong In.”

 

“Thank you, Officer Kim. I’m sorry about earlier. I’m Han Chul Woo, Seo Jin’s father.”

 

“Ah, no problem, sir. I’m sorry for your loss. And I’m sorry about Seo Jin too.”

 

“Seo Jin was closer with her mother than with me. It’s obvious that she couldn’t accept the news.”

 

“…. I’m sorry, sir.” Kai lowered his head in regrets.

 

“So, you’re the one who found her body then?” Chul Woo asked Kai.

 

“Yes, sir. But when I found her, it was too late. She was dead for days.”

 

“Well, at least now that she had been found, she could have a proper ceremony.” Chul Woo said with a sad look on his face.

 

“….” Kai couldn’t utter any words since he didn’t know how to comfort Chul Woo.

 

“Well, officer Kim. I think I have to go back and checked on Seo Jin. Thank you for everything.” Chul Woo stood up and excuse himself to head back to her daughter’s room. “And thank you for finding In Ha.” Chul Woo bowed his head slightly before he turned around and walked away.

 

Kai stay a little while longer at the coffee shop and watched Chul Woo’s back disappear in one of the hospital corridor. Then he stood up, and went back to the station.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At The Police Station…

 

Soon after Kai arrive at the police station, he started to find informations about In Ha’s case. He called the headquarter to find out about the cause of her death.

 

“Hello, is this the Violent Crimes Department?” Kai said after his call being answered.

 

“Yes, how can we help you?”

 

“I’m Kim Jong In. I’m a police officer in Sokcho District. I was wondering if I could have the information of In Ha’s case? The case of a corpse found in route 69?”

 

“Sorry kid. You don’t have the authorization to know anything about the case.”

 

“But… I was the one who found her body.”

 

“Unless you’re the family of the victim, you couldn’t have any information about the case.”

 

“But…”

 

“Look kid. This case had been handled by the Violent Crimes Department. So, rest assured, we’re doing our best in solving this case. Why don’t you just focus on your job as a traffic officer, in spite of playing detective, and let us do our job, okay?” The detective said those final words before he hangs up on Kai.

 

“!” Kai cursed while he slammed his phone back to his desk with a loud bang.

 

“Hey… hey… chill out man. Don’t destroy the government’s properties.” Dae Hyun who was startled due to the loud noise, tried to comfort the angry Kai. “What’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing. Just trying to find some information, but they won’t give it to me, simply because I’m just a mere traffic officer. Damn it!” Kai cursed again.

 

“Well, you know the rules. We’re stuck with the rules, you know?” Dae Hyun smile ironically. “Detectives got all of the access to any informations, while we, the traffic officers are stuck with watching over the traffic.”

 

“But why can’t they do it as a favor to a fellow officer?” Kai asked grumpily.

 

“Rules are rules, man. As we bound with our superiors, so are they.” Dae Hyun patted Kai’s back, while saying, “Unless you become a detective, there’s no way you could find any information that you need.” Dae Hyun laughed at his own absurd thoughts.

 

“Hey, you’re right.” Suddenly Kai’s eyes went sparkling as he determine something in his mind. “All I have to do is becoming a detective. Then I could find the information myself.”

 

“You’ve got to be kidding me. Did you just saying that you’re gonna take the exam?” Dae Hyun asked Kai in disbelief. “You can’t be serious.”

 

“Why not? Why can’t I take the exam?” Kai asked Dae Hyun in return.

 

“Why would you risk your life in becoming a detective?”

 

“Nah. Life is full of risk anyway, even if you’re not a detective.” Kai waved his hand to ignore Dae Hyun’s statement.

 

“Then why?” Dae Hyun asked in confusion.

 

“If I could be a detective, then I could help more people. Simple.” Kai shrugged.

 

“Are you some kind of saint or humanism?” Dae Hyun raised one of his brows.

 

Kai only smirked and wriggling his eyebrows at Dae Hyun as his response.

 

“And which department did you want to get into?” Dae Hyun asked again.

 

“Is that even a question?” Kai smirked. “Of course, it’s the Violent Crimes Department.”

 

With that statement, Kai had determine his decision to become part of the Violent Crimes Department and solved as many cases as he could, so there won’t be another Seo Jin in the future.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------