First Case

Nephalem

 

At the Parking Lot...

 

“Is this your bike?” D.O asked Kai.

“Yeah, why?”

“Are you sure that this thing could even started?” D.O raised one of his eyebrows at Kai.

“Hey, don’t underestimate my bike.” Kai pouted. “It’s more convenient to drive a bike than a car. It saves a lot of time during traffic jam.” Kai said grumpily.

“Whatever.” D.O shrugged and hoped on the bike.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At The Crime Scene…

 

“Hey, D.O?” Kai started the conversation. “Why your name is D.O? Don’t you have a full name? What is your full name?” Kai asked.

“My name is not related with this case.” D.O said coldly.

“I know. But since we’re partner, I just want to know more about you.” Kai stated.

“I have no obligation to give that information to you.” D.O said. “Just focus on this case, okay? And… stop talking too much.” D.O rolled his eyes.

“….”

 

Victim : Park Yeoung Gyu, CEO of Andamiro

Cause of Death : Blunt Force Trauma

Time of Death : 10 pm.

 

“Excuse me, are you the one who call the police?” D.O asked the person who opened the door for them.

“Yes. I’m Park Gun Tae. I’m Park Yeoung Gyu’s son.” Gun Tae introduced himself to D.O and Kai.

“I’m D.O and this is Kai. We’re with the police. We’re in charge of this case.” D.O introduce themselves and entered the house with the forensic team.

 

While the forensic team doing their job, D.O and Kai begin to ask several questions regarding to the case.

 

“Did you live here with your father?” Kai started the investigation.

“No. I lived in an apartment, not far from here. But sometimes I come to visit.”

“Who had the key of the house?” Kai asked.

“Only me and my dad had the key to the house.” Gun Tae lead their way into the house.

 

While Kai started his questioning, D.O wandered around the house for observation, and sees the 2 meter glass window of the living room had been scattered around the floor.

(Scattered glass… no traces of blood..)

 

“So, the culprit come into the house from the window…” Kai talked to himself.

 

“Kai….” D.O glared at Kai’s loose mouth.

 

“I’m just saying…” Kai said quietly.

 

“So, the culprit came from that window?” D.O pointed at the broken window.

 

“Yes. The culprit came into the house from the window and went straight to my father’s room.” Gun Tae answered.

 

“Forensic team, did you guys find any footprints?” D.O swirled around to ask that question to the forensic team.

 

“No. There’s no footprint.” One of the forensic team answered D.O’s question.

 

D.O turned around again and talked to Gun Tae again. “Then, how did the culprit came in?”

 

“What do you mean?” Gun Tae asked.

 

“Since there are no footprints, it means the culprit didn’t wear any shoes. By doing that, he would have hurt his feet for stepping on the scattered broken glass.” D.O stated.

 

“Maybe the culprit put on something else?” Gun Tae wondered.

 

“Something else? Like changing shoes?” D.O asked Gun Tae.

 

“When someone break into a house to kill someone, it’s obvious that they won’t think about changing their shoes.” Kai said.

 

“Kai……” D.O rolled his eyes to Kai.

 

“Fine! I won’t say anything.” Kai said grumpily.

 

“Maybe the culprit wearing slippers?” Gun Tae pondered.

 

“Slippers? What kind of murderer would think of wearing slippers while he’s about to kill someone?” Kai laughed outloud.

 

“Kai....” D.O sighed.

 

“Fine.. Fine..” Kai pouted.

 

“Would you like to see my father’s bedroom?” Gun Tae asked D.O and Kai.

 

“Yes.” D.O answered and Kai just following them as quietly as he could.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Park Yeoung Gyu’s corpse had been taken to hospital for autopsy, therefore there’s only white lines portraying the corpse position in the bedroom.

 

“So, this is where the murder happened.” Kai reflectively said and whistling at the same time.

 

D.O clears his throat as another warning for Kai’s chattering.

 

“Sorry. It just slipped out of my mouth.” Kai immediately pursed his lips into a thin line.

 

D.O looked around the bedroom and notice that one of the forensic team collecting several shards of porcelain. He approached that man, crouching down and asked a few questions in a low voice.

 

After a while, D.O stood back up and wondered.

(The murder weapon is a vase? Why would the culprit uses the vase as a murder weapon? If the culprit break into the house using hammer or wench or things like that, then why didn’t he used that exact same thing to kill?)

 

After several minutes of thinking, D.O asked Gun Tae. “By the way, do you happen to know about the vase, which was used as the murder weapon?”

 

“Oh. The vase? I bought the vase for my father’s birthday gift.” Gun Tae explained.

 

“Do you remember where you bought it?” D.O asked Gun Tae.

 

“I bought them from Cho Ki Jung, during his artshow in Gangjin.” Gun Tae stated.

 

“Do you have a picture of the vase?” D.O asked again.

 

“Picture of the vase? Ah. Yes. “I think my father kept a picture of it, somewhere in the drawer.” Gun Tae said while tapping on his mouth lightly. “Do you want it?”

 

(Touching mouth… raised shoulders… shuffling feet… providing too much information… Hm.. interesting...)

 

D.O maintain his expresionless face while he keeps observing Gun Tae’s movement, and responded, “Yes.”

 

Gun Tae looked for the photo album in one of the drawers in his father’s bedroom, look around the pictures for a while and hand it over to D.O.

“I hope it helps. Please find my father’s murderer as soon as possible.” Gun Tae said.

 

“We’ll do our best. Now, if you’ll excuse us, we have to go back to the office. Thank you for your cooperation.” D.O finally excused themselves and walked out from the house.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Hey, D.O. So now, we’re back at the office?” Now that they’re out of the crime scene, Kai brace himself to pop up the question.

 

“Yes.” D.O said in a flat tone.

 

“Hey, how about having lunch before we go back? I’m starving.” Kai stated while rubbing his belly. “I’ve heard there’s a delicious beef restaurant just around the corner.”

 

“I’m good. You could go and eat by yourself.” D.O said to Kai.

 

“Oh come on. Eat with me. I’m starving.” Kai insist and start to push D.O towards the restaurant.

 

“Fine. But, you’re paying.” D.O said to Kai.

 

“Absolutely.” Kai smirked.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At The Beef Restaurant…

 

(Lots of scattered glass on the floor, yet no signs of them being tampered or stepped on. Then, how did the culprit enter the house? Supposed the culprit didn’t enter from the window, then… where did he came from? The front door? But, there’s no damage found on the keyhole of the door, so whoever enter the house had to had the house key. The ones who had the key to the house, are the victim and his son.)

 

Meanwhile, Kai observing D.O quietly while waiting for their order.

 

“Hey, what are you thinking?” Kai asked D.O.

 

“None of your business.” D.O said to Kai.

 

“I know who’s the murderer.” Kai said nonchalantly.

 

“And how did you know that?” D.O asked.

 

“Well, you have your methods, and I have mine.” Kai smirked.

 

At the same time, their food had been served, so they eat their food quietly, and lost in their own thoughts.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After lunch…

 

“Ah… I’m full.” Kai said with satisfied face. “So, back to the office now?” Kai asked D.O for confirmation.

“Yes.” D.O said briefly.

“Okay. Hop on.” Kai gave one of the helmet to D.O and put on his own helmet, then he started his bike engine and drive back to the office.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At The Office…

 

“Hey, D.O. Our office is this way.” Kai stated while pointing to the Violent Crimes Department’s direction, when he saw D.O walked toward the opposite direction.

 

“I know. I’ve got to go somewhere.” D. O stated. “Don’t follow me.” D.O glared at Kai and made Kai stepped back a bit.

 

“Arrogant jerk.” Kai mumbling to himself.

 

“I’ve heard that!” D.O said to Kai.

 

“….”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Forensic Department....

 

“Hey, Kyungsoo. What are you doing here?” Baek Hyun, the forensic pathologist greeted D.O.

 

“The usual, Baek. I want to see the autopsy report of Park Yeong Gyu.” D.O stated.

 

“I was just about to deliver it to you. Here.” Baek Hyun handed the autopsy report to D.O.

 

“Thanks, Baek. Ah, by the way, could I have the pieces of the vase?” D.O asked.

 

“Sure. But what are you going to do with them?” Baek Hyun staring at D.O curiously. “Don’t tell me that you’re gonna do that crazy thing again?”

 

“As a matter of fact… Yes.” D.O said calmly.

 

“You’re crazy, you know that, right?” Baek Hyun shaked his head in disbelief and called out for one of his team member. “Hey, Yoon. Bring me the pieces of the broken vase.”

 

It only took a while, before Yoon handed it over to Baek Hyun.

 

“Here.” Baek Hyun gives them to D.O. “Remember to wear the gloves, okay? We don’t want the evidence being tampered with your fingerprints.” Baek Hyun raised one of his eyebrows.

 

“I’m not a rookie, Baek.” D.O said and started to walk to the parking lot.

 

“Hey, where are you going?” Baek Hyun called out for D.O when he saw where D.O headed to.

 

“Home.” D.O stated and wave his hand to Baek, without looking back.

 

“You’re not supposed to go home in working hours, Soo.” Baek Hyun mumbling to himself and shake his head while watching D.O walked out of the office.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At the parking lot, D.O fished out his cellphone, browsed his phone books and click a name on it. His call only rings twice, before it was picked up.

 

“Yo, what’s up, Soo?” A man voice could be heard at the end of the other line.

“Hey Kim, I need a favour.”

“Okay. I’ll wait for you at the studio. You still remember my studio, right?”

“Like the back of my hand.” D.O responded.

“Safe drive.”

 

And then the call ended.

 

D.O browsed his dialled numbers and made another phone call.

 

“Hello.” Jae Young answered the call.

“Chief. I’m going outside. I’ve got something to do.” D.O report to Jae Young.

“Bring Kai with you.” Jae Young commands.

“No, thank you. I’ve had spending too much time with him. So, this time, I’m going on my own.” D.O insists.

“Sigh. Don’t do anything reckless, okay?” Jae Young finally give in.

“I won’t. I just need to see someone. I’ll talk to you later.” D.O ended the call and hang up.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At The Studio…

 

“Kim Bum.” D.O called out for a man who was working on a lump of clay, inside the studio.

The one who’s being called Kim Bum, swirl around and see D.O walked towards him.

“Soo… long time no see. How have you been?” Kim Bum greeted D.O and give him a warm hug.

“I’m good.” D.O patted Kim Bum’s back.

“So, what brings you here?” Kim Bum asked curiously while raising one of his eyebrows. “What kind of favours that you need from me? If it’s about money, then….. forget it.”

“Have I ever asked for your money?” D.O rolled his eyes.

“No. But there’s always the first time. And maybe now is the first time.” Kim Bum smirked. “So, what can I do for you?”

“Here.” D.O handed the pieces of the vase to Kim Bum.

“And what do you want me to do with this trash?” Kim Bum furrowed his brows together, while looking at those million pieces of porcelain.

“Arrange them for me.” D.O said plainly.

“Huh? Wait… What? You want me to do what?” Kim Bum asked in disbelief.

“Fix it for me.” D.O repeated his words.

“Fix it??? As like.. putting all the pieces together to its original state????” Kim Bum asked to reconfirm if he didn’t heard it wrong.

“Yes.” D.O said nonchalantly.

“You’re crazy.” Kim Bum shaked his head in disbelief.

“I know.”

“You’re definitely-absolutely… out of your mind.”

“Thank you. But I still want you to do it, and you know that you’ll do it for me.” D.O shrugged.

“Damn. It gonna takes a lot of time.” Kim Bum said in frustration.

“Don’t worry. I don’t mind waiting.” D.O said in a flat tone. “Ah, and here is the image of its original condition, for your reference.”

“Fine. I’ll do it.” Kim Bum said grumpily. “Then, make yourself at home. I’ll start working on this trash.” Kim Bum said while headed to his working desk and start to put all the pieces together.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Meanwhile, in the other part of town…

 

Kai’s POV

 

“He is definitely the murderer. But there’s no evidence on him.” Kai wondered while tapping his pen on the desk.

 

(Go into the house…)

 

“We’ve already did that.. but no evidence whatsoever.”

 

(The slippers…)

 

“The slipper?” Kai pondered. “What about the slipper?”

 

(Evidence…)

 

“The slipper is the evidence?” Kai wondered. “Are you sure?”

 

(The slipper…)

 

“Ok. I got it.” Kai said. “I’m going.”

 

Jae Young observe Kai as if he had going crazy for talking to himself like that. “Are you okay, Kai?” Jae Young asked Kai.

“I’m fine.” Kai said. “Chief, I need to go outside for a bit. Is that okay with you?” Kai asked for permission to go outside.

“Okay, you may go.” Jae Young give his permission to Kai.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At The Parking Lot…

 

Kai fished out his cellphone and dialled Gun Tae’s number.

 

“Hello?” Gun Tae answered after the call ring twice.

“Hello. I’m Kai. I’m one of the officers who came to your father’s house earlier.” Kai answered.

“Ah yes. What can I do to help you, officer?” Gun Tae asked Kai.

“Earlier, I see the design of your father’s slipper is very nice. So, I was wondering if you could give me a pair of the slipper?” Kai asked.

“My father’s slippers? Sure. But why?” Gun Tae asked curiously. “It’s just an ordinary slippers.”

“I really love the design of that slipper.” Kai said. “Could I have a pair of it, please?” Kai practically begged.

“Sure. I’ll get a pair for you.” Gun Tae decided.

“One other thing, I was wondering if I could choose it by myself.” Kai said again.

“…”

“Please?” Kai practically begged again.

“Okay. Then I’ll wait for you at my father’s house.”

“Thank you very much. I’ll be right over.” Kai said before he hangs up the phone.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At Park Yeoung Gyu’s House…

 

“Excuse me. Is anyone at home? I’m Kai. I’m the one who’s calling earlier.” Kai greeted when he arrived at Park Yeoung Gyu’s house.

“Coming.” Gun Tae responded.

“I’m so sorry to bother you again.” Kai smile apologetically to Gun Tae. “But I just love your father’s slipper so much, that I had to have it.”

“It’s okay. I was here all the time, anyway.” Gun Tae said. “Actually I was thinking to sell the house, since the house is too big for me and I’ve already lived in an apartment anyway. So, no one could look after the house.”

“You’re selling the house?” Kai asked. “Well, it’s indeed too big for a single man.” Kai nodded in his agreement.

“Then… feel free to choose which slipper that you want.” Gun Tae said while pointing at the collection of the slippers.

 

(That one… Blue…)

 

“I’d like to take the blue one, please.” Kai smile while pointing at the blue slippers.

 

“Well, go ahead.”

 

Kai took the blue slippers. “Thank you so much for this.”

 

“No problem. Is there anything else that you want?”

 

“No. That would be all. Thank you.”

 

“Then… I’m so sorry. But, I have to go to meet the realtor of the house. So…if you'll excuse me... ”

 

“Ah, right. Thank you again for the slipper.” Kai slightly bowed to Gun Tae and stepped outside the house.

 

After he was outside of the house, Kai took out a piece of plastic from one of his pockets, put the slippers in it and headed back to the office.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When Kai arrived at the office, he went straight to the Forensic Department. “Excuse me. I was wondering who’s in charge here?” Kai asked around.

“That would be me.” Baek Hyun responded. “Who are you?”

“I’m Kai, the new detective for Violent Crimes Department.” Kai introduces himself to Baek Hyun.

“Ah yes. The new detective.” Baek Hyun nodded. “I’m Baek Hyun. So, what can I do for you?”

“I was wondering if you could help me in examining this slippers, please?” Kai asked Baek Hyun.

“Sure. Which case was it?” Baek Hyun asked.

“Ah. I’m with D.O. I’m his new partner.” Kai said.

“Whoa. You’re partnering with D.O?” Baek Hyun asked Kai to reconfirm.

“Yes.”

“And he’s okay with it?” Baek Hyun asked in disbelief.

“Actually, nope.” Kai said gloomily. “He’s strongly opposed it. But, since it’s an order from the chief, there’s nothing he could do about it.” Kai smirked.

“I could imagine his reactions over it.” Baek Hyun laughed. “Well… I’ll examine this and I’ll let you know the result later by phone.”

“Thank you, Baek.” Kai said to Baek, before he excused himself and went back to his own department.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Two Hours Later…

 

“Hello, Violent Crimes Department. Officer Kim speaking.” Kai answered as the phone on his desk ring.

 

“Hello, Kai. Baek here.” Baek Hyun’s voice could be heard from the other line of the phone. “I’ve examine the slipper that you brought me, and I’ve found a piece of broken porcelain at the bottom of it. It looks like the last user of the slippers hurts his foot while he was wearing it, because he stepped on the broken porcelain.” Baek Hyun explained. “I’ve checked the DNA of the blood, and it turned out that the blood belongs to….” Baek Hyun’s voice trailed off while he’s reading the report of the forensic.

 

“Park Gun Tae, right?” Kai finished Baek Hyun’s words.

 

“Yeah. Park Gun Tae.” Baek Hyun confirmed. “But, hey, how did you know?” Baek Hyun asked Kai curiously.

 

“Just a wild guess?” Kai shrugged.

 

“Anyway, I’m sending the forensic report to you by fax, then.” Baek Hyun offered.

 

“It's okay. I’ll get the report myself. I was on my way there, anyway.”

 

“Alright then.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Yo, Baek. Where’s the report?” Kai asked while trying to catch his breath after running all the way from Violent Crimes Department to Forensic Department.

 

“Over here.” Baek Hyun waved the report to Kai.

 

“And here’s the piece of the porcelain.” Baek Hyun handed a plastic contained with a piece of porcelain in it. “Looks like it was from a broken vase or something.”

 

“Thanks, Baek.” Kai said to Baek and went back to his own department.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Almost at the same time…. At Kim Bum’s Studio…

 

“Here. Not as smooth as its original states since several tiny pieces are missing, but at least it’s 90% done.” Kim Bum huffed a deep sigh after he finished repairing the broken vase.

 

“But.. you’re missing one piece from the broken vase.” Kim Bum wondered. “This one here.” Kim Bum pointed at one single area, not too tiny yet not too big either.

 

“Why don’t you tell me that the vase was the artwork of Cho Ki Jung?” Kim Bum asked.

 

“Why? Do you know him?” D.O asked back to Kim Bum.

 

“Do I know him???? Are you kidding me? Of course I knew him!!” Kim Bum answered excitedly. “Every potter in South Korea knows about him. He’s the master of Celadon Potter. He’s the living treasure for his achievement in reviving Goryeo celadon.”

 

“He’s that famous?” D.O asked Kim Bum nonchalantly.

 

“Absolutely!” Kim Bum responded. “When he passed away in 2007, the potter’s world mourn and grief for him.”

 

“Is that so?” D.O stated calmly.

 

“Anyway, how did you get his artwork in broken pieces like that?” Kim Bum asked curiously. “You’re not the one who’s breaking it, weren’t you?”

 

“I’m not.” D.O answered firmly. “A murderer did it.”

 

“Damn it. You definitely have to catch the murderer, because he’s a disgrace to the potter world.” Kim Bum said in his rage.

 

“I’m working on it.” D.O shrugged. “Thank you for this. I’m going back, now.” D.O stood up and prepared to leave the studio.

 

“Hey, you owed me big time.” Kim Bum yelled as D.O walked towards his studio’s front door. “Next time, you’d better bought me some soju!”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

While walking back to the office, D.O re-organize his investigation in his mind.

 

(The cause of death is blunt force trauma caused by this vase… But there’s one missing piece from this vase. Where would it be? Obviously, the house. But, there’s no way the forensic team would have missed the piece if it was in the bedroom. Then… where would it be?)

 

(There are no sign that the broken glass window was stepped on… means the murderer did not entered the house from the window. Then… how did the murderer entered the house? The house didn’t have a back door. It means, there’s only one way to enter the house, aside from the window. The front door! So, it’s possible that the murderer is the one who had the key to the house. Since there’s only two people who had the key, that means….)

 

(If he’s the murderer, it means that he could have entered the house from the front door with ease. And as a habit, he would use a slipper to enter the house.)

 

(The slipper!!! Maybe….maybe…)

 

D.O fished out his cellphone and dialled the office number. It didn’t take long before Kai answered his call.

 

“Violent Crimes Department, Kai’s here. How may I help you?” Kai answered.

“Kai, we have to get back to the victim's house, before the evidence is gone.” D.O speaks as he runs to the office.

“Why? What happened?” Kai asked.

“I found out who’s the murderer. And if we’re lucky, we could also have the evidence.” D.O speaks while running.

“You mean… the slipper?” Kai asked.

D.O halted his running and surprised. “Yes. But, how did you know?” D.O asked curiously to Kai.

“Well, you have your way and I have mine. As simple as that.” Kai answered with a smirk on his face.

“So, did you have it?” D.O asked Kai.

“Yup. I’ve got it right here on my desk, along with forensic report of the blood's DNA found in that piece of the broken vase.” Kai stated calmly.

“You’ve got the reports?” D.O start to run again. “So, who was it?”

“The DNA belongs to Park Gun Tae.” Kai smirked. “As I’ve told you before. I know who’s the murderer.”

 

As Kai answered the last question, D.O had arrived at the office, panting.

 

“We should get the arrest warrant for Gun Tae, fast, before he notice that we knew and try to run away.” D.O said while he try to catch his breath.

 

“You mean… this warrant?” Kai waving a piece of paper in front of D.O. “I’ve already got it. All that left is for us to go to his apartment.” Kai said with a wide grin spread on his face.

 

“Then… what are you waiting for?” D.O yelled at Kai.

 

“Here, you drive.” D.O throws his car key to Kai.

 

“Yes, sir!” Kai smirked at D.O while he catch D.O’s car keys and headed towards the parking lot with D.O.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At The Apartment…

 

Ring… Ring… Ring… Ring…

D.O keeps on pushing the bell button endlessly.

 

After a while, a sound could be heard from the intercom. “Yes, who is it?” Gun Tae asked.

 

“We’re the police officer, D.O and Kai. We’ve met before for your father’s murder case.” D.O responded.

 

“Ah, yes, Mr. Officer. What can I do for you?” Gun Tae greeted them after he opened his apartment’s door.

 

“Mr. Park Gun Tae. You’re under arrest for murdering Park Yeong Gyu. You have the right to remain silent. If you do say anything, what you say can be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to consult with a lawyer and have that lawyer present during any questioning. If you can not afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you, if you so desire.” D.O stated Gun Tae’s rights as he handcuffed him.

 

“Hey, what’s going on?” Gun Tae tried to struggle away from the handcuff. “I’m innocent. I didn’t kill my father. Let me go!”

 

“We found your DNA in the murder weapon.” Kai stated calmly.

 

“But… that’s impossible.” Gun Tae still try to struggle away from the handcuff.

 

“If you refuse to come with us, you’re going to be charged with resisting in the arrest.” Kai stated.

 

Soon after hearing Kai’s words, Gun Tae went listlessly. He obediently followed both of them to the car and they drive straight to the police station.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Kai write the final report of their first case and handed it over to Jae Young. “Case closed, chief.” Kai grinned widely to Jae Young.

 

“Great job, both of you.” Jae Young proudly said to both of them. “Then, I’m going to send the case to the prosecutor office.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Great job for a rookie, huh?” Kai smirked at D.O while he’s swirling around in his chair.

“….”

“Don’t you have anything to say to me?” Kai asked D.O.

“Nope.” D.O said in brief.

“Don’t you feel like thanking me for securing the evidence before you told me so?” Kai wriggling his eyebrows at D.O.

“Nope.” 

“Hey. I’m doing a great job here.” Kai pouted.

“Oookay… If you say so…” D.O shrugged at Kai.

“Hey, D.O. What’s your full name?” Kai asked curiously.

“It’s still none of your business.” D.O answered briefly.

“Oh, come on. It’s just a name. Why is it so hard for you to tell me your name?”

“….”

 

“Kyungsoo…” Suddenly a voice could be heard from the hallway and within seconds, Baek Hyun appeared at the front door of the Violent Crimes Department.

 

“I’ve heard that you’ve solved another case. Damn, that’s fast.” Baek Hyun said. “But then again, I won’t be too surprise, since you’re the one who’s in charge of the case. You’ve always managed to solved any cases quickly.” Baek Hyun smiled.

 

“You’re exaggerating, Baek.” D.O hushed Baek Hyun. “Go back to your own department.”

 

“Hey, what about we drink together after work?” Baek Hyun suggested. “Think of it as a celebration for your solved case.”

 

“Maybe next time, Baek. I’m too tired today. I just want to go home and get some sleep.” D.O refused.

 

“Then, how about tomorrow?” Baek Hyun proposed. “Come on, it’s been ages since the last time we drink together. Kai could come with us too.”

 

“If he’s coming, then I’ll pass.” D.O answered firmly.

 

“Oh, come on. Lightened up a bit.” Baek Hyun nudged D.O lightly. “After all, he’s your new partner.” Baek Hyun wriggling his eyebrows at D.O.

 

“Fine.” D.O said. “But, you’re paying.”

 

“It’s fine by me. Then, it’s a deal. See you tomorrow night.” Baek Hyun wave his goodbye as he went back to the Forensic Department.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“So… your name is Kyungsoo?” Kai smirked. “What a lovely name.”

“….”

 

D.O didn’t say anything in his response. Instead, he just stood up, grab his car key, and went home.

 

Kai, being alone at the office, smiling to himself while he keeps on repeating the same phrase in his head.

 

(D.O’s name is Kyungsoo…)

 

(Kyungsoo… Kyungsoo…Kyungsoo…)

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------