Masks of The Devil

Nephalem

After D.O left the station, Kai also preparing himself to go home, however, on his way out, he sees Min Kyu and Se Jong argues with a man in front of the door.

 

“No, sir. You can’t go in.”

 

“B-But….I-I need…”

 

“I said you can’t go in now, sir.”

 

“Hey, what’s going on?” Kai asked Min Kyu and Se Jong, the moment he approach them.

 

“Oh, Kai. This man wants to get inside obstinately.” Min Kyu explains to Kai. “This man suddenly appear and talking gibberish, but none of us could understand a single word of what he’s saying. Then he starts to thrash out and making a mess.” Min Kyu explained.

 

“I… need… to… tell….” The man stuttered when he’s trying to talk to Kai.

 

“Huh? Excuse me? What are you trying to say? Are you lost?” Kai asked.

 

“No… I… I… need…” The man looked like he wants to say something, but no one could understand a single word that he said. In his frustration he starts to thrash out and making a mess in the department again. In order to calm him down, Min Kyu and Se Jong tries to hold him still.

 

Kai observe the man who looked back at him in desperation. Then Kai notice a bracelet wrapped on his wrist.

 

“Kim Young Gyu”
“If you see this man, please call : 02-312-3456.”

 

“Look, there’s his guardian’s information on his bracelet, I’ll call his guardian to pick him up.” Kai said to Min Kyu and Se Jong. “Don’t be too harsh on him, okay? Besides, it’s obvious that he had some kind of mental disability. You guys should be more considerate of him.”

 

Kai walk towards his desk and made a phone call to Kim Hye Ri, the man’s guardian, asking her to come to the station to pick up the man.

 

Several minutes later, a woman entered the Violent Crimes Department. She looked around in panic, searching for someone. When she finally see Kim Young Gyu, she exclaims : “Oppa”

 

Kai turned around to look at the woman who now had approached the man who’s sitting in one of the bench in the Violent Crimes Department.

 

“What are you doing here? Did you get lost?” The woman asked. “Come on, let’s go home.”

 

Park Young Gyu shakes his head and stood up. When they’re about to leave the station, Kai approached them to talk to the woman.

 

“Are you Kim Hye Ri?” Kai asked.

 

“Yes. I’m Kim Hye Ri. He’s my brother. I’m sorry for any troubles that he did in the station.” Kim Hye Ri apologize.

 

“It’s fine.” Kai said. “Just take a good care of him, okay?”

 

“Thank you, officer. Then, if you’ll excuse us.” Kim Hye Ri slightly bowed and lead her brother towards the door.

 

Suddenly the man went back to Kai and shake hands with him, with a terrified expression on his face. Kai just smile at him and shake his hands back, but then he notice that the man had just slipped him a note into his palms during their handshake. However, Kai didn’t say anything and just looking at their back until they went outside the station.

 

After Kim Hye Ri and Kim Young Gyu left the station, Kai opened the folded paper in his palms and reads the message written inside.

 

“Help me! Meet me at the stone turtle in Tapgol Park, tomorrow, 10am.”

 

“What’s that?” Jae Young who’s also about to leave the station, take a look at the notes with curiousity.

 

“I think someone had just asking for my help.” Kai said.

 

“Huh?” The chief looked confused.

 

“Just a moment earlier, there’s a man creating a scene in our station. He tries to say something, but none of us could understand what he was saying.” Kai explains.

 

“So?” Jae Young asked.

 

“So, it turned out that the man suffered a mental disability, and I just called his guardian to pick him up.” Kai said. “And he had just slipped a note for me, without being noticed by his sister. And this is his note.”

 

“I see.” Jae Young shrugged and walk towards the door to leave the station, while Kai walk to his own desk to pack his belongings to go home too.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The next morning…

 

“Morning everyone.” Kai greets everyone in the station the moment he entered the Violent Crimes Department.

 

“Morning Kai.” Min Kyu greets him.

 

“By the way, what do you think about this wooden sculpture? It’s beautiful, don’t you think?” Min Kyu said to Kai while showing off a small wooden sculpture.

 

“Yeah, I think it’s quite a beautiful woodcraft. Where did you get it?” Kai take a glance at the sculpture.

 

“Man, you won’t have any idea how hard is it for me to get this wooden sculpture.” Min Kyu said arrogantly. “I join a mystery club for a few months, and there had been a lot of rumors about this sculpture.”

 

“Rumor? What kind of rumor was it?” Kai asked.

 

“People said that this sculpture is cursed. The last person who had this sculpture always ends up having a continuous nightmare whenever they sleep.” Min Kyu stated.

 

“You know, Min Kyu, you shouldn’t mess with object which has some kind of history in it.” Kai said seriously. “It’s dangerous, you know?”

 

“Ah. That’s nonsense. People only creates those rumors to make a higher price for the sculpture. There’s no such thing as ghost. Spirits didn’t exist, you know.” Min Kyu retorts.

 

“Sigh. Whatever you say, man. Anyway, I’ve told you to get rid of it, so if something bad happens to you, don’t regret it though.” Kai shrugged and went back to his desk.

 

“You’re talking nonsense, Kai. Nothing is going to happen, okay? You’re just being paranoid.” Min Kyu retorts.

 

“Yeah. Yeah. If you say so.” Kai said nonchalantly from his desk.

 

At the same time, D.O arrives at the station and go straight to his desk. As usual, the second he settles down in his chair, he starts to read again.

 

“Morning, D.O.” Kai greets him.

 

“Morning.” D.O respond without turning his gaze away from his book.

 

“You like to read a lot, did you?” Kai asked.

 

“It’s better than dilly dally and got bored for doing nothing.” D.O shrugged. “Besides, we haven’t got a case yet.”

 

“Right.” Kai nods but suddenly he stands up from his chair.

 

“Hey! What’s wrong with you?” D.O glance at Kai’s sudden movement.

 

“Ah. I’m sorry. I’ve just remember that I have to go somewhere. I’ll be back after lunch.” Kai said hastily while grabs his bike’s key. “Tell the chief that I’m heading out for a bit, okay? Thanks.”

 

Before D.O manage to respond, Kai has dash out from the door.

 

“Geez. What’s up with him?” D.O huffed a deep sigh and continues his reading.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Tagpol Park

 

Kai arrives at Tagpol Park, waiting for Kim Yong Gyu to show up. However, after 30 minutes of waiting, there’s still no sign of him. Kai keeps on waiting until 12 pm, but Kim Yong Gyu still nowhere to be seen, so Kai decides to have lunch at a nearby café since he thought maybe Yong Gyu would not come at all.

 

While eating his lunch, Kai’s attention got distracted with the news on the TV.

 

Last night, an accident happen in Insadong-gil. A man suddenly jump into a car and got seriously injured. From his ID, the victim known as Park Yong Gyu, 45 years old, has been taken to the Central Hospital. Due to his severe injuries, Park Yong Gyu had fall into coma. The victim claimed to be a person with a mental disability, hence the police had conclude the incident as an accident.

 

“Park Yong Gyu?” Kai mumbles to himself. “Isn’t that’s the man who asked for my help?”

 

Kai spring from his chair to pay for his lunch and head back to the station.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

As soon as he arrives at the station, Kai head to his desk and start to browse for any personal information of Park Yong Gyu.

 

At a couch nearby, Min Kyu who was lazying around, had just fallen asleep and looks like he’s having a nightmare. Kai take a glance at Min Kyu when he heard him groaning in his sleep, and startled to see there’s a shadow in the form of a young girl around 12 years of age, sitting on Min Kyu’s body.

 

The ghost seems to notice that Kai was looking at him, because in a split of second, she turn her gaze to Kai and their eyes met for a while, before she vanished from Kai’s sights into thin air.

 

At that moment, Min Kyu awake from his nap and suddenly gasps for air, as if he couldn’t breathe properly for a while. “Phew. What a nightmare.”

 

“Are you alright?” Kai asked in concern.

 

“Yeah. I’m alright. But the dream was so real, it almost killed me.” Min Kyu said. “I felt that I was paralyzed, as if I can’t move my body at all. And no matter how hard I try to wake up, somehow I just couldn’t get up.” Min Kyu huffed a deep sigh.

 

“Eh? Did you have a nightmare, Min Kyu?” Se Jong asked from his seat.

 

“Yeah. I dreamed about a traffic accident.” Min Kyu scratches his neck.

 

“Really? I also had a lucid dream earlier while I was dozing off on a chair.” Se Jong said. “In my dream, there was a car accident and it was a mess.”

 

“Car… car accident?” Min Kyu stuttered in fear.

 

“Yes.” Se Jong confirms.

 

“Did you have a long hair girl and a boy in your dream?” Min Kyu asked Se Jong.

 

“Yes, they appear to be siblings.” Se Jong nods. “Could it be that sculpture is really cursed? Huh? I feel awkward. Let’s throw it away right now. Hurry!”

 

“Well, I guess we are not supposed to get an object with a history.” Min Kyu heaves a deep sigh.

 

As Min Kyu and Se Jong continues on their discussion about their weird dreams, Kai turned his attention back to his monitor.

 

Few minutes later, D.O came back from his lunch and notice Kai looking at his monitor intensively, so he look at Kai’s monitor in curiousity. “Kim Young Gyu?” D.O furrows his brows together. “Why do you look for his information? Is it our new case?” D.O asked Kai.

 

“Ah. No. Last night, this man came to the station right after you went home. He looks like he suffered a mental disability. At first I thought he’s lost. But then, he slipped me this note.” Kai hand over the written note that Kim Young Gyu gave him last night to D.O.

 

“So, did you meet him? Why did he ask for help?” D.O asked.

 

“Well, I was waiting for him at Tagpol Park earlier, but he didn’t show up. Then, when I was having my lunch, I saw the news stating that he got into an accident last night.” Kai explains.

 

“Then, you’re having doubts that it’s merely an accident, because of this note?” D.O asked.

 

“Well, I just want to make sure that it was indeed an accident.” Kai said.

 

“Let’s go.” D.O stands up and head to the door.

 

“Huh? Where to?” Kai stands hastily and followed D.O.

 

“To his house. You’re planning to go there, right?” D.O asked.

 

“You’re coming with me too?” Kai asked in disbelief.

 

“Of course. We’re partners, right?” D.O shrugged.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Inside the car, with Kai driving the car, D.O scan on Kim Young Gyu’s information. “Kim Young Gyu, 45 years old. Is this the person from yesterday? This photo looks—“

 

“Different?” Kai continue D.O’s sentence.

 

“Yeah. Earlier, you said that he suffered a mental disability. But in this picture, he looks normal to me.” D.O furrows his brows together.

 

“According to the information that I found from our data, He was diagnosed with Acquired Brain Injury due to the traffic accident which happened 6 months ago. This picture must be taken before the accident.” Kai explains.

 

(Note : Acquired Brain Injury : Physical impairment as a result from traumatic brain injury caused by events after birth.)

 

“What about his medical records?” D.O asked.

 

“He was in a coma and things don’t look good.” Kai huffed a deep sigh. “I wonder what did he want to talk to me about? What if it’s related to the accident…”

 

“Are you telling me that someone could have pushed Kim Young Gyu to a running car?” D.O asked.

 

“I’m not so sure about it, but I’m worried that’s what happened to him.” Kai stated his doubts.

 

“How about security cameras?” D.O asked.

 

“It’s a blind spot.” Kai said. “But, just in case, I asked for some video footage from several CCTV around the scene.”

 

“…”

 

“By the way, thank you for going with me after hearing my story.” Kai said to D.O.

 

“I was just bored at the precinct and decided to come out for some fresh air. Besides, how am I supposed to trust your intuition?” D.O raise one of his brows at Kai.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Few minutes later, they arrives at Yeom Ji Won’s house. After the accident, Kim Young Gyu couldn’t find any jobs due to his brain injury, hence he lives with his sister, Kim Hye Ri and her husband, Yeom Ji Won.

 

“I’m sorry for bothering you so suddenly.” D.O said when they are inside the house. “We would like to ask a few questions to you, regarding to your brother-in-law’s accident.”

 

“Hmph. He couldn’t even die properly. I can’t imagine how much the medical bill gonna cost us.” Ji Woon said grumpily.

 

“Err. Before the accident, actually Kim Young Gyu called to meet up with me and asked for help. Do you know anything about it?” Kai asked.

 

“Why would you ask that question to us? I don’t know anything about it.” Ji Woon said.

 

“Then, by any chance, do you know if there’s someone capable of holding a grudge against Kim Young Gyu?” D.O asked.

 

“A grudge? You’ve gotta be kidding me. He jumped into a car by himself. Do you want to live if you were in his situation? It’s pathetic enough to be like that and live off of us. I would kill myself too, if I was in his situation.” Ji Woon sneers.

 

During their conversation, a boy in a wheelchair came out from his room, asking for his mother assistance to the bathroom. When he finished and about to go back to his room, his wheelchair stumble upon the door, resulting his wooden sculpture falls from his laps. D.O stands up from his seat to help the boy in picking up his wooden sculpture and hand it over to him.

 

“That brat can’t even go pee alone!” Ji Woon sneers.

 

D.O glare at Ji Woon for his rude comments, however it looks like he didn’t notice it, so he turned his attention back to the boy. “It’s a beautiful sculpture. Where did you get it?”

 

“My… father… made it for me.” The boy stuttered in his response.

 

“Your father made it for you?” D.O asked the boy gently.

 

“Y-yes.” The boy replied.

 

“Shut up and go to your room! That stupid sculpture!” Ji Woon yelled at the boy and turned to Hye Ri. “Give him discipline or something!”

 

“Y-yes.” Hye Ri said in brief and continues making drinks for their guests.

 

The boy struggles to push his wheelchair back to his room, and D.O offers to help him.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“By the way, what’s your name?” D.O asked the boy.

 

“Lee Byung Hun.” The boy answered.

 

D.O looks around the boy’s room and his gaze stumble upon a picture of the boy with a girl. “Is this your sister? What’s her name?” D.O asked.

 

“Yes. It’s my sister. Her name is Jang Hae Ji.” Byung Hun replies.

 

“I see. Where’s your sister? I didn’t see her around the house.” D.O asked.

 

“She’s dead.” Byung Hun lowered his head.

 

“Oh. I’m sorry to hear that.” D.O apologized.

 

“…..”

 

“Alright then, I’ll go outside, okay.” D.O patted Byung Hun’s head before he walk out of the room and join Kai in the living room.

 

“Can't you see? No one here wants to live our lives! We want to take the rat poison together and kill ourselves, so please leave. No matter how much you talk here, there’s nothing worthwhile here.” Ji Woon said harshly.

 

With that statement, both D.O and Kai excused themselves and went back to the station.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When D.O and Kai arrives at the station, there’s an uproar going on. It seems like everyone in the Violent Crimes Department had the same dream about a car accident, including Jae Young.

 

“This must be because of that wooden sculpture.” Min Kyu grits his teeth.

 

“What wooden sculpture?” D.O asked.

 

“This wooden sculpture.” Min Kyu shows the wooden sculpture to D.O.

 

(Hey! That looks exactly like Byung Hun’s sculpture. The only difference is this sculpture looks like a girl, while his sculpture looks like a boy.) D.O notice the similarity of the sculpture with Byung Hun’s. “Hey, Kai.” D.O nudge Kai.

 

“Huh?”

 

“That sculpture looks exactly like Byung Hun’s sculpture.”

 

“Huh? Byung Hun? Who’s that?” Kai asked in confusion.

 

“Byung Hun is the son of Yeom Ji Woon. You know, he's the boy in the wheelchair.” D.O stated.

 

“Oh. That boy.” Kai nods. “Are you sure that his sculpture looks like this one?” Kai asked.

 

“Yes. I’m positive. I think this sculpture belong to his sister, Jang Hae Ji.” D.O explain.

 

(“Hey, Grumpy Kai! Where have you been all day long? Did you hear it? Everyone had the same dream. Don’t you think it’s strange? There must be something strange with that sculpture.”) JB said to Kai.

 

Kai take a glance at the sculpture in D.O hands from the corner of his eyes, but didn’t say anything in response.

 

(“Everyone dreamed about young siblings getting involved with an accident. Then, did she die from the accident? Her brother got his legs injured. By the way, what’s the message that she wants to deliver, Grumpy Kai?”) JB asked Kai.

 

“Say, Kai, do you have any information about Kim Young Gyu’s family?” D.O asked.

 

“Hm, what do you want to know about?” Kai asked while he his computer.

 

“I want to know about his niece, Jang Hae Ji.” D.O stated. “Hey, hold on. I’ve just realized it. How come their family name is different?” D.O frowned. “The sister’s name is Jang Hae Ji, the brother’s name is Lee Byung Hyun, yet their father’s name is Yeom Ji Won.”

 

“They’re not legitimate siblings. Byung Hyun is the biological son of Kim Hye Ri and Lee Suk Tae, and Jang Hae Ji is her step daughter from her ex-husband, Jang Min Kuk.” Kai explained.

 

“Geez. Why is this so complicated? Then, Hae Ji has no blood relation with any of them?” D.O asked.

 

Before Kai could answer the question, suddenly his cell phone rings.

 

“Hello?” Kai greets. “Did you find anything about Jang Hae Ji?”

 

“Yesterday, you asked about the death report of Jang Hae Ji, right?” The man on the other line of the phone asked Kai.

 

“Yes.”

 

“The cause of her death is a bicycle accident.”

 

“A bicycle accident? How did it happen?” Kai asked.

 

“Hm. If you want to know the detail of the accident, I’ll take you to the scene.” The man offered.

 

“That would be great. Then, I’ll see you tomorrow.” Kai agreed and hang up the phone.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The next day, Kai and D.O meet the local police officer who’s in charge in the area where the accident took place.

 

“It’s right there. The scene of the accident. She was going down with her bicycle and I believe that the brake was broken. As you can see, this downhill road is not easy to go down, even with a proper brake. On top of that, it was raining on the day before the accident.” The police officer explained to Kai and D.O.

 

“Is there anything particular from the scene?” Kai asked.

 

“Not really. Oh, right. She was badly injured and transferred to the hospital, but she wouldn’t let go of her wooden sculpture, right until she is dead.”

 

“Did you just said that she held a wooden sculpture tightly in her hand?” D.O asked.

 

“Yes, I did.”

 

“Is it the sculpture?” D.O asked while he showed the wooden sculpture that he brought from the precinct.

 

“Yes. This is it. How did you get it?” The man asked.

 

“Our friend bought it.” Kai answered in brief. “Thank you for the information.” Kai thanks the local officer and along with D.O, they head back to the precinct.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

On their way to the station, Kai’s phone rings.

 

“Kai.”

 

“Kai, I heard that you’re investigating Kim Young Gyu’s case. Is that right?” A man's voice could be heard from the other line.

 

“Yes, Inspector Choi.” Kai verified.

 

“I called you because I thought this could help your case. I thought of someone who could hold a grudge against Kim Young Gyu. He caused disturbance in a few occasions, so I have him on the record. His name is Lee Dong Chul, 36 years old. Sometimes, he will find Kim Young Gyu while he’s drunk and threatened to kill him. His address is Gusan Apartment Building 205, Unit 508.”

 

“Thanks, Inspector Choi.” Kai said before he hangs up the phone.

 

“New lead?” D.O asked.

 

“Maybe. According to Inspector Choi, a man called Lee Dong Chul is holding a grudge against Kim Young Gyu.” Kai explains.

 

“Why?” D.O asked.

 

“Do you remember that Kim Young Gyu was involved in a traffic accident 6 months ago? It’s the accident that injured his brain.”

 

“Hu uh. I’ve read the file report. What about it?” D.O asked.

 

“In that accident, there were another victim. The parturient wife was dead and the husband was alive.” Kai stated.

 

“So?” D.O asked.

 

“Sometimes, when he’s drunk, he’ll find Kim Young Gyu and threatened to kill him.” Kai repeats what he’d just heard earlier.

 

Then, let’s go to his house.” D.O ordered.

 

“I’m on it.” Kai agreed.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At Lee Dong Chul’s Apartment…

 

“I’m sorry for our sudden visit.” Kai apologize as he and D.O enter the apartment.

 

“Why did you find me?” Lee Dong Chul asked coldly.

 

“According to the video footage from the CCTV, you were at the crime scene, at the time of Kim Young Gyu’s accident.” D.O placed several pictures of video footage on the table. “Why were you there?”

 

“I got a call from him, asking me to meet him. He said that he needs to talk to me.” Dong Chul answered.

 

“Then, did you meet him?” Kai asked.

 

“No. I didn’t. I was a bit late while I’m debating whether to meet him or not.

 

“You’re saying that you were late for an appointment? Do you want us to believe that?” Kai sneers.

 

“So what? Are you telling me that I killed Kim Young Gyu or something like that?” Dong Chul asked coldly.

 

“We didn’t say that you killed him.” Kai still sneered at Dong Chul.

 

“Yes. I killed him.” Dong Chul stated. His statement made Kai and D.O surprised for a little while, then he added, “I killed him so many times in my mind. When I saw him being hit by a car and breathing heavily, I was thinking, Ah, too bad. The impact should have been a little more stronger. And then I asked myself, when will he really be dead?” Dong Chul stated with a blank expression on his face.

 

“It was a car accident. Not to mention, as the result, Kim Young Gyu was severely injured. Of course, we’re giving our deep condolence that your wife had passed away in the accident." Kai stated.

 

Hearing that statement, the corner of Dong Chul’s mouth raised a bit before he said in a mocking tone, “What would you do… if your wife and a fetus in her, died because of a guy who was driving under the influence of drug?”

 

“Drug? What do you mean?” Kai asked curiously.

 

“He took sleeping pills while he was driving. If he want to die, he could die alone by himself.” Dong Chul scoffed and added, “By the way, do you know that the world is so brutal?”

 

“Why did you say that?” Kai asked.

 

“On the day after the funeral, do you know what did the insurance agent told me? They were suspicious of me, since there are policies under my wife’s name and her fetus.” Dong Chul heaves a deep sigh and continues, “Hmph. Money. At this point, there’s no use of having money. Because of the accident, I lost everything.”

 

Overwhelmed with the new found facts, both Kai and D.O couldn’t utter any words in response. In the end, they decides to leave the apartment.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“This case looks more complicated than it seems.” Kai sighed once they’re inside the car.

 

“I think we should ask around to find more information about the family.” D.O decides. “I’ll ask around to find out any information about Kim Hye Ri’s ex husbands, and you, Kai, go to the Z insurance agency. In the file of Kim Young Gyu, I’ve read that he had an insurance policy. Maybe we could find something there.” D.O said to Kai.

 

“Then, I’ll take the bus from here.” Kai said as he put off his seatbelt.

 

“Don’t.” D,O put his hand on Kai’s seatbelt. “You could drive to the insurance company. From there, I’ll drive myself. Just give me a call when you’re done, and I’ll pick you up?”

 

(Huh? D.O was actually suggest to drive and pick me up? This must be a dream!)

 

Kai pinched his cheek to confirm whether it’s a dream or not. If it’s a dream, then why does his cheek feel sting due to his pinch earlier?

 

“Hey! Are you listening to me? Why didn’t you say anything? And why the hell did you pinch your cheek?” D.O asked curiously.

 

“Err. Nothing. Should we go now?” Kai averted D.O’s gaze to hide his flustered face.

 

“Are you sure you’re okay? Your face is red. Are you sure that you’re not having a fever?” D.O asked and put his palm on Kai’s forehead to check on his temperature.

 

“I’m fine. The weather is quite warm today.” Kai tilted his head to avoid D.O’s palm.

 

“Really? I think the weather is not too warm though.” D.O looked at the sky.

 

“Anyway, let’s go. I’ll drive to the insurance company and then you could drive by yourself.” Kai decides to change the topic.

 

“Okay.” D.O said briefly.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At the Z insurance company, they went on their separate ways. But before Kai entered the company building, D.O called out for him. “Kai!”

 

“Yes?” Kai turned around to face D.O .

 

“Call me when you’re done, okay?” D.O smiled at Kai.

 

Kai’s heart thumping rapidly as if it would explode from his chest any minute, when he sees D.O’s smiles. Kai heaves a deep sigh to calm his heart and said, “Got it.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Inside the insurance company, Kai meet with an agent and asked about Kim Young Gyu.

 

“Kim Young Gyu?” The agent asked to reconfirm as he rummage into his files. “Ah, here it is. I found him. Starting a year ago, there were a few accidents. He was hospitalized twice do to the accidents. Six months ago, he was involved in a major accident and diagnosed with Brain Injury.”

 

“Is there anything peculiar that happen after the accidents?” Kai asked.

 

“I don’t think it’s something special, but one and a half year ago, the entire family underwrote the policy in the same date."

 

“All of them?” Kai frowned.

 

“Yes. The life insurance, accident insurance, health insurance. Everything.”

 

“Who is the beneficiary?” Kai asked.

 

“It’s under Yeom Jin Won. Recently, he received the payment.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Meanwhile, in another part of the town, D.O visits a friend of Jang Min Kuk, Kim Hye Ri’s ex-husband, in a factory.

 

“Yes. I remember. Min Kuk was so happy after he got remarried. I wonder why he did that.”

 

“What do you mean by that?” D.O asked.

 

“He killed himself. He died from briquet gas poisoning inside his van.”

 

“How did his family get along with him?” D.O asked.

 

“They got along pretty good. Especially the children, even though they’re not legitimate siblings. After the accident that caused the son injure his leg, the daughter cherished him so much, even more than his own parents.”

 

Afterwards, D.O went to a neighbourhood, where Kim Hye Ri used to lived with her family, and asked around.

 

“Ah, Kim Hye Ri? Not too long after her husband killed himself, she remarried. People talked about her since her daughter died as well.” A woman said to D.O when he asked about Kim Hye Ri.

 

“Why?” D.O asked.

 

“She was like a . How could she get another man, when her husband had just passed away, not too long ago?”

 

“Hey, what’s wrong with that?” The other woman critized. “Frankly speaking, let’s straight it out. It’s difficult enough to raise her disabled son. Kim Hye Ri was so nice to her, even though she was the daughter of her late husband.”

 

“Do you know her husband, Yeom Jin Won?” D.O asked.

 

“Yeom Jin Won?” The woman furrows her brows together in attempt to recall her memories. “I remember that he is a truck driver who used to live with Kim Hye Ri.”

 

When D.O wants to ask another question, his phone rings.

 

“D.O.”

 

“D.O, it’s Se Jong. I’ve found a schoolmate of Kim Hye Ri. I thought it might be useful for you.”

 

“Name and address?”

 

“Kang Yeo Wool. Her address is 280-5, Dongseori, Daeheung-myeon, Yesan-gun, Chungcheongnam-do.”

 

“Thanks, Se Jong.”

 

D.O ends his investigation in the area and went to the address.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It only took 15 minutes for D.O to arrive at Kang Yeo Wool’s house.

 

“Yes? Who is it?” A woman’s voice could be heard from the intercom after D.O ring the bell.

 

“Hello. I’m from Seoul Police Station. Is Kang Yeo Wool there? You were a classmate of Kim Hye Ri, right? I have a few questions about Kim Hye Ri.

 

“I’m sorry. I don’t know anyone with that name.” The woman answers hastily and hangs up the intercom.

 

“Huff.” D.O heaves a deep sigh and left the house after he place his name card at the top of the intercom.

 

By the time D.O settled inside the car, Kai called. After D.O picked him up, both of them went back to the precinct together.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Case Briefing

 

“Yeom Jin Won, 45 years old. He has two conviction history with violence and habitual gambling. At the moment, he has no job. Two years ago, he married Kim Hye Ri, who has a son and a step daughter. When her brother Kim Young Gyu failed his business, he relies on them to live.” Kai stated.

 

“I’m not interested in the family tree. So what’s the point?” Jae Young asked.

 

“Yeom Jin Won who doesn’t have regular income, had life and accident insurance for Kim Hye Ri, her children and Kim Young Gyu. Of course, the beneficiary was under his name.” Kai stated. “The son, Lee Byung Hun is evaluated for disability by the accident which happened not too long after this insurance was made. Few months later, Jang Hae Ji died because of a bicycle accident. Furthermore, six months ago, Kim Young Gyu was diagnosed with Acquired Brain Injury and assessed as the first disability which happened while driving, after taking sleeping pills.”

 

“So, is he after the insurance money and used his family for it?” Jae Young asked.

 

“I have confirmed that all of those insurance money were deposited to Yeom Jin Won’s bank account.” Kai replied.

 

“Then, are you saying that Yeom Jin Won is the one who pushed Kim Young Gyu and made him brain dead, in order to silence him?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“Most likely.” Kai said briefly.

 

“What’s his alibi at the time of the accident?” Jae Young asked.

 

“He alleged that he was sleeping while he’s drunk, yet there is no witness to back him up.” Kai stated.

 

When everyone pondered for a while, observing the report in silence, D.O stands up and give a folder file to Jae Young.

 

“What’s this?” Jae Young asked.

 

“Lee Suk Tae, the first husband of Kim Hye Ri is dead. Her second husband, Jang Min Kuk, killed himself. It’s obviously strange.” Se Jong stated when he tilted his head to read the file.

 

“Then, are you saying that Kim Hye Ri killed all those dead ex-husbands?” Jae Young asked D.O.

 

“We don’t know about that yet. However, I have requested for the record file from an insurance company.” D.O stated.

 

“Ah, come on. Maybe she’s just having a bad luck. That’s why she ended up meeting a guy like Yeon Jin Won.” Se Jong stated cheerfully.

 

“What? A detective talks about luck? Are you following him now?” Jae Young turned and asked Min Kyu.

 

“Why would you put me in your discussion? However, there is someone who is destined to live like that though. The life of a black widow.” Min Kyu said.

 

“Shut up! For now, despite of the past, the prime suspect is Yeom Jin Won. Check the alibi of our suspect one more time. Summon him to the precinct and find something! That’s it for now.” Jae Young dismissed the meeting.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“D.O!” Kai called out for D.O once they stepped out from the conference room.

 

D.O halt his steps and turned around to wait for Kai.

 

“Were you suspicious about Kim Hye Ri from the beginning? How come you didn’t say anything to me? The beneficiary is Yeom Jin Won.” Kai stated.

 

“You could believe what you want to believe. I thought that the case could be more complicated that what we see here.” D.O stated.

 

“You sound like you know something that you can’t see.” Kai frowned.

 

“Sure. I can see. I really do. I can see your mind.” D.O stated.

 

“What do you mean?” Kai asked.

 

“You think that Kim Hye Ri couldn’t do this, since she is a biological mother of these children. Am I wrong?” D.O smirked at Kai. “Why? Just a look in her eyes that didn’t show that she could do it? I want to believe that she is simply unlucky and had been through a lot, but actually she is a good mother. However, until we close this case, she is just a mere suspect to me.” D.O said firmly and left to the parking lot.

 

“Hey, where are you going?” Kai hastily sped up his pace to catch up with D.O.

 

“To the suspect’s house. Where else?” D.O shrugged.

 

“Then, I’m going with you.” Kai stated firmly.

 

“Suit yourself.” D.O said in brief.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Upon their arrival at Kim Hye Ri’s house, D.O keep on observing Kim Hye Ri’s movement in silence, while Kai asking a few questions to her.

 

“I’m sorry if we’re bothering you at this late of hour.” Kai apologize.

 

“Not at all. I was just put my son to bed. He’s sleeping now.” Hye Ri heaves a deep sigh and continues, “Whenever I see Byung Hun, I’m sad. He can’t walk. How uncomfortable would it be for him?”

 

Hye Ri heaves another deep sigh and asked, “By the way, why did my husband go to the police station? Is there something that you want to talk about?”

 

“Nope. Nothing at all.” D.O said in brief.

 

“Anyway, Mrs. Kim. Do you have anything that you want to talk about your husband? It seems like he’s drinking quite heavily. Are there any violence or abuse? Or did he threaten you or something like that? You can tell me everything.” Kai asked.

 

“He could be weird once he’s drunk. But he’s not a bad person.” Hye Ri stated.

 

“We suspect that he’s the one who pushed your brother, Kim Young Gyu to a car and made it looked like an accident.” Kai said.

 

“It’s nonsense. Jin Won wouldn’t do such brutal things.” Hye Ri shake her head in disbelief.

 

“The beneficiary for all of these insurance was under Mr. Yeom’s name.” Kai stated.

 

“Huh? Excuse me?” Kim Hye Ri asked to reconfirm.

 

“Did you really don’t know anything about this?” D.O asked coldly. “Your child is dead and your brother is injured. Yet, you didn’t even get suspicious of him at all?” D.O glared at Kim Hye Ri and observed her movements.

 

“D.O….” Kai tries to stop D.O from saying more harsh words.

 

“If I did, I won’t be alive here, am I?” Kim Hye smile dejectedly.

 

“Now, talk to me. Whatever it is, without hiding anything.” D.O keeps his gaze straight at Kim Hye Ri.

 

“In fact, on the day when my brother talked to you, Jin Won was furious with my brother. He chased my brother who was shivering at the corner of the room and shook a broken bottle at him. He told my brother to keep silent, otherwise he will kill my brother. I just thought that my husband didn’t want to hear bad rumors about our family.” Hye Ri stated.

 

“Now that we heard you, start your act. Saying that I don’t know anything. My husband is not capable of doing such thing and there was no problem within our family.” D.O said in a mocking voice.

 

“Huh? Excuse me?” Kim Hye Ri asked in disbelief.

 

“Were you also doing fine with Jang Min Kuk? You know, he’s the biological father of Jang Hae Ji.” D.O sneers.

 

“D.O!” Kai tries to stop D.O from saying harsh words but he was ignored, just like earlier.

 

“If everything was okay, then why did he killed himself? Then, how about your first husband, Lee Suk Tae?” D.O keeps on asking questions to Kim Hye Ri.

 

“Stop it, D.O!” Kai practically yelled at D.O now.

 

“Yes. I was wondering about that too. Why did they die? I thought about it for a while. Why did all of them left me? It could be my fault who’s having a bad luck. I was thinking about dying too, but when I think about my sick child…” Kim Hye Ri starts to sob and continues, “People were pointing at me and told me that I made lots of mistakes in my previous life. The life of a black widow.”

 

“Accident… suicide… my child was injured… and finally this happen to me.” Kim Hye Ri starts to cry and Kai give his handkerchief for Kim Hye Ri.

 

“It’s okay. You can stop crying now.” Kai said while he’s trying to calm her down.

 

From the moment Kim Hye Ri starts to sob, D.O didn’t say anything in response. Instead, he keeps on observing every movements that she made unconsciously.

 

(Heavy breathing…having more difficulties to speak… repeating questions before answering… speaking in sentence fragments… failing to provide specific details… Hmph! It’s too obvious!)

 

D.O smirked while his gaze never left Kim Hye Ri, until Kai decide to end their interrogation and leave the house.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When Kai and D.O had settled inside the car, Kai scolds D.O., “D.O! What’s wrong with you?”

 

“What? A detective can’t interrogate?” D.O asked coldly.

 

“A detective doesn’t have the right to talk whatever he wants and hurt other people’s feelings.” Kai said in his defense.

 

“She wasn’t sincere. You can act to be sad and cry like it was real. But she failed to hide her contempt. Based on Act Anylysis Method, she can’t pretend it. She’s hiding something for sure.” D.O stated firmly.

 

At that moment, D.O’s phone rings.

 

“D.O.”

 

“Is this the detective?” A woman’s voice could be heard from the other line of the phone.

 

“Who is this?” D.O asked.

 

“My name is Kang Yeo Wool. I’m the one who you wanted to meet earlier. I want to tell you something about Kim Hye Ri. Could you meet me in my house now?”

 

“Sure. I’ll see you there.”

 

“Who’s that?” Kai asked.

 

“Kim Hye Ri’s classmate. She asked me to meet her. Want to come along?” D.O asked Kai.

 

“Nope. I think I’ll get back to the precinct to see how the others were doing with their interrogation.”

 

“Alright then. Let me know if you find any new lead.” D.O said and they went their own separate ways.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Back at the precinct, Kai heard that Min Kyu and Se Jong had summoned Yeom Jin Won to the precinct and about to interrogate him. Kai went to the room next to interrogation room, and observe the interrogation from behind the mirror.

 

“Damn it. Why the heck do you put me here? What do you want to ask?” Yeom Jin Won asked in his irritation.

 

“I heard that your relationship with Kim Young Gyu wasn’t too good. Is that true?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“So? What about it? Are you saying that I pushed him?” Jin Woon sneers.

 

“Just answer my question, please.” Min Kyu said.

 

Instead of answering the question, all of a sudden Jin Won take off his clothes and showed several scars on his bare chest.

 

“What the heck are you doing now?” Min Kyu asked while raising one of his brows.

 

“Do you see these scars? The accident that he caused also nearly killed me.” Jin Won stated. “You’re asking the reason why did we fight? This is why! The sight of him annoyed me. He drove me nuts!”

 

“Even after you’re married, you were sentenced to pay fine for a few times, with a charge of illegal gambling. If you see this file, it stated that you only dealt with high rollers. Where did you get all of the money from?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“What’s wrong with you, officer? Do some work for your salary! It’s been a while since I came clean.” Jin Won stated.

 

“Oh, come on. It’s easier to believe if an alcoholic quit drinking. Look here!” Min Kyu pointed at several pages of the file. “These are the insurance under Kim Young Gyu, Jang Hae Ji, Lee Byun Hun and Kim Hye Ri. You were busy in earning premium for this, aren’t you? That’s why you didn’t have time for gambling.” Min Kyu sneered at Jin Won.

 

“What the heck are you talking about?” Jin Won asked in confusion while he’s flipping the file of insurance policies and read it for a while. His eyes widened when he read the section of beneficiary was written with his name.

 

“As you can see, Mr. Yeom. All of the beneficiary are under your name. Are you still going to give me some lame excuses?” Min Kyu smirked.

 

For a while, Jin Won’s face become tense, but within seconds, his expression went back to normal and said, “Do you have the evidence that I did it?” Jin Won stared at Min Kyu.

 

“The evid—” Min Kyu turned around to see the mirror in the room, as if he’s asking for the chief’s help.

 

“Why the hell is he looking at me?” Jae Young asked Se Jong from behind the mirror.

 

Se Jong didn’t say anything in response other than a shrug.

 

“I don’t think you have any evidence.” Jin Won smirked at Min Kyu.

 

“We will have plenty of evidence soon. Don’t you think so?” Min Kyu retorts.

 

“Then, be my guest to come back to me once you have it.” Jin Won sneers and stand up from his chair to leave the interrogation room, but he was stopped by Min Kyu.

 

“Where the hell do you think you’re going?” Min Kyu exclaims.

 

“As long as you don’t have any evidence on me, you have no right to keep me here.” Jin Won raised one of his brows at Min Kyu.

 

“Let him go.” Jae Young’s voice could be heard from the speaker in the interrogation room.

 

With that statement, Min Kyu was left with no other option than to let Jin Won go.

 

Jae Young turned to Kai and asked, “What did Kim Hye Ri said?”

 

“She looked like as if she has no clue that her husband was the beneficiary. However…” Kai hesitates.

 

“Why? Did you find anything?” Jae Young asked.

 

“Hm. Nope. Nothing.”

 

“Okay. For now, Kim Hye Ri’s testimony would be the lead evidence. However, Jin Won keep saying that he didn’t know anything. Did you think that they’re conspire together in this?” Jae Young pondered for a while.

 

“I don’t know, chief. This case had become more complicated than it seems.” Kai huffed a deep sigh.

 

“Where’s D.O?” Jae Young asked Kai.

 

“He went to meet with Kim Hye Ri’s friend, to find more information about Kim Hye Ri.” Kai stated.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Meanwhile, Jin Won had arrived at his house and noticed that Lee Byung Hun was staring at him from a small creak of his door.

 

“What the hell are you looking at?” Jin Won said and throw an empty bottle of soju at Lee Byung Hun’s door. “You’re so gloomy! Just like your mother!”

 

“What are you doing to that boy?” Kim Hye Ri asked as she entered the house.

 

“Why? Who cares about what am I doing with the boy, huh?” Jin Woon smirks. “Come here and sit down! Hurry!”

 

Kim Hye Ri sits down without uttering any words.

 

“The police were here, right? What did they say?” Jin Won asked Hye Ri.

 

“Nothing.”

 

“Nothing happened?” Jin Won asked. “Then, are you the one who did all of these things?” Jin Won asked curiously while he keeps on drinking.

 

Hye Ri huffed a deep sigh and said, “Pour me some drink too.”

 

Jin Won ignored Hye Ri’s request and keeps on blabbering. “No. No way. It can’t be you, right? Please say that you didn’t do it. Please!”

 

Hye Ri huffed another deep sigh and said, “Now, where do I start?”

 

Jin Won didn’t respond to Hye Ri, instead he grabs another bottle of soju and drink it.

 

“Honey, you will die if you drink like that.” Hye Ri said in her sweet tone of voice.

 

Jin Won didn’t say anything in response, since he’s already fall into unconsciousness.

 

“Sigh. You won’t listen to me, even if I tell you.” Hye Ri heaves a deep sigh.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Fifteen minutes later, inside his car, D.O received a phone call from Kai.

 

“D.O.”

 

“D.O! They found Yeom Jin Won’s body. They assumed that he had commit a suicide.” Kai said hastily.

 

“What?”

 

“Go to Kim Hye Ri’s house. Right now, they’re taking his corpse for autopsy.” Kai stated. “I’ll meet you there.”

 

“Got it!” D.O hangs up the phone and start to speed up.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Both D.O and Kai arrived at the crime scene at the same time and greeted by Se Jong who had arrived earlier than them.

 

“What happened?” D.O asked Se Jong.

 

“He lit the briquet after taking sleeping pills. It’s a suicide.” Se Jong stated and hand over the suicide note which was found near the corpse.

 

The suicide note stated :

I’m not sure where it went wrong. I would like to end my life. My wife didn’t know anything. Kim Young Gyu seemed to be hesitating to keep silent about the whole thing that happened. I was afraid of getting caught, so I planned on another accident.

 

“So, what now?” Kai asked.

 

“It’s obvious that Yeom Jin Won took the insurance money, right?” D.O asked.

 

“What about it? Did you suspect something?” Kai asked.

 

“It’s just a hunch. But if I was right, there would be another murder. We have to move fast. Let’s go, Kai.” D.O said while he’s heading to his car.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

D.O and Kai went to Z Insurance company and greeted by the same person whom Kai met earlier.

 

“What brings you here again?” The agent asked Kai.

 

“Do you remember Yeom Jin Won’s face?” D.O asked hastily.

 

“Yes. He was here several times to get his money.” The agent stated.

 

“Please take a look at this picture.” D.O hands over Yeom Jin Won’s picture to the agent. “Is this Yeom Jin Won?”

 

“Huh? Who is this? It’s not him.” The agent frowned in confusion.

 

“I need all of the detail information about the insurance money. Please help us.” D.O requested.

 

“Huh? It’s not like there are only one or two insurance company in Seoul. Moreover, insurance companies can’t share their client’s information.” The agent stated.

 

No matter how much D.O tried to persuade the agent, he keeps on insisting that he can’t share the client’s information. Hence, D.O and Kai gives up and went back to the car and head back to the precinct.

 

Inside the car, Kai asked, “Did you find any new information from Kim Hye Ri’s friend?”

 

“Nothing much.” D.O said briefly. “She’s just telling me about Hye Ri’s weird behaviour when they’re in elementary school.”

 

“How weird was it?” Kai asked.

 

“In your opinion, how weird is a girl in her third grade elementary school, stick a long needle into a dog with an evil expression on her face?” D.O stated in a flat tone.

 

“Are you serious? Are you telling me that Kim Hye Ri did that?” Kai asked in disbelief.

 

“Moreover, not too long after that incident, her mother went blind. Instead of crying, she was smiling when her mother was transferred into a hospital with an ambulance.” D.O stated.

 

“What?” Kai practically screamed in disbelief.

 

“I’m having a bad feeling about this case. As if the killing spree isn’t over yet.” D.O heaves a deep sigh. “Let’s go to Hye Ri’s house. There’s something I need to confirm with her.” D.O decides.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

As they arrived at Kim Hye Ri’s house, D.O told Kai to wait for him in the car. “Stay in the car, Kai. I won’t be long.”

 

“What are you going to do? You’re not going to do anything stupid, aren’t you?” Kai sounds a bit worried.

 

“I won’t.” D.O smiled coldly. “I just want to talk with her. Alone. So, please, wait in the car. I’ll be right back.”

 

After pressing the bell button and waited for a while, the door finally opened by Hye Ri. “What brings you here again?”

 

“Thank God, you’re home.” D.O said in brief.

 

“Huh?” Hye Ri looks confused.

 

“Then, excuse me.” D.O shoved Kim Hye Ri with his shoulder and entered the house without waiting for her permission.

 

Out of courtesy, Hye Ri served a glass of water to D.O and continues with her packing.

 

“Are you going somewhere?” D.O asked.

 

“Staying at home, reminds me of my late husband. Do you have something to tell me?”

 

“Don’t be too obvious. You need some time to grief.” D.O said coldly.

 

“What do you mean?” Hye Ri asked.

 

“Never mind. By the way, where are you doing?” D.O asked.

 

“I’m going to visit my mother. She wanted to see Byung Hun too.”

 

“I see. So, you’re going to visit the grandmother.” D.O said calmly.

 

Seeing D.O calmness made Hye Ri becomes uneasy. Due to her nervousness, she took D.O’s glass of water and drink it herself, then she said, “Unless you have something to tell me, could you please leave the house? It’s time to catch the bus.”

 

“I think it would be better if you’re not taking Byung Hun with you.” D.O stated calmly.

 

“Huh? What do you mean?” Hye Ri looks more confused than earlier.

 

“I feel bad for her. You know, the grandmother. Since the grandmother can’t see her grandson’s face anyway. I was told that she was blind. Am I wrong?” D.O smirks.

 

Kim Hye Ri looks at D.O with her eyes widened and opened mouth. She’s very surprise to know that D.O had found out about her mother’s condition. She can’t help herself in wondering how much more did D.O knows about her?

 

“Alright then. See you again.” D.O stands up and left the house.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

As Kai and D.O arrives at the parking lot of Seoul Police Station, D.O’s phone rings.

 

“D.O.”

 

“Where are you?” Jae Young practically yelled over the phone.

 

“I’m on my way.” D.O said calmly.

 

“Did you go to Kim Hye Ri’s house? Is it really you? Did you beat her up?” Jae Young asked those question in one breath.

 

“Huh? Excuse me? What do you mean?” D.O furrows his brows together in a total confusion. “Wait. I’m at the parking lot. I’m going inside now.”

 

“What is it, D.O?” Kai asked as he pulled over.

 

“Something strange just happened.” D.O huffed a deep sigh. “I’ll see you inside.” D.O said before he stepped out of the car and went inside the precinct.

 

“Hey, you brat. If you’re going to act nuts, you should know the limit, so I can watch over your back. Kim Hye Ri took photos of her wounds and stated that she will press a charge against you. She tells us that she will expose this incident to the media!” Jae Young said furiously.

 

D.O didn’t say anything in response. He just stood there, with a blank expression on his face, just as the usual him.

 

“Don’t just stand there like a statue, brat. Say something!”

 

“I have never done anything like that to her.” D.O said calmly.

 

“Are you serious? Look at me! Straight into my eyes!” Jae Young ordered and D.O did as he was told to do. “Fine. I trust you. But… let’s dodge this incident first. Even if it’s only temporarily. For now, please stay low. Don’t do anything by yourself.”

 

“Then… what should I do? Should I whimpered in fright of being charged for all of those things that I’ve never done? I’ll tell you what, chief. Go ahead and press a charge against me. No matter what happen, I’ll still investigate this case.” D.O stated firmly.

 

“Come on, D.O. The Internal Investigator will be here tomorrow. Are you really going to risk your job?” Jae Young asked.

 

D.O didn’t say anything in response. Instead, he went to the parking lot, and met with Kai on his way.

 

“Hey, D.O! What happened? I heard the chief was yelling at you. Are you okay?” Kai sounds worried.

 

“What is it? Do you need to talk to me?” D.O asked coldly.

 

“I’m sorry. I should have known about Kim Hye Ri earlier…” Kai said in low voice.

 

“No. Don’t be sorry. It’s not your fault.” D.O said nonchalantly.

 

“D.O….” Kai trailed off.

 

“We have to stop her, Kai. By any means necessary!” D.O stated firmly.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The next morning…

 

“Let me ask you again. Did you beat up Kim Hye Ri or not?” One of the Internal Investigator interrogate D.O.

 

“I said I didn’t beat her up. How many time do I have to repeat myself?” D.O stated calmly.

 

(“Grumpy Kai, we don’t have time for this. What a nice timing.” JB whispers to Kai.)

 

“Inspector D.O., you don’t get it, do you? Reporters are chasing after this incident. It’s not something you can get away with.”

 

(“Grumpy Kai, we can’t do this. Let me go out and find her, okay?”)

 

“Let’s go together.” Kai muttered in a low voice and turned to Jae Young who’s observing the interrogation from the other side of the mirror. “Chief, I have to go somewhere. Is it okay if I leave now?” Kai asked for Jae Young’s permission.

 

“Where are you going?” Jae Young asked.

 

“Somewhere.” Kai said in brief.

 

“Don’t do anything stupid, okay?” Jae Young heaves a deep sigh. “I don’t want to have another member of my team involves in another problem.”

 

“Got it, Chief.” Kai said and left the precinct with JB.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Kai and JB left the precinct and went to Kim Hye Ri’s house. However, she’s not home. There’s only Lee Byung Hun in the house.

 

“Oh? That belongs to my sister. Where did you get it?” Byung Hun asked when he saw the wooden sculpture in Kai’s hand.

 

“You’re such a cute boy. Here. Since it’s your sister’s, I’ll give it to you.” Kai hand over the wooden sculpture and put it on Byung Hun’s lap.

 

“What are you doing here?” Kim Hye Ri who had just arrived at home, yelled at Kai and made him startled.

 

“I thought I already made it clear. If you harass an innocent citizen. I won’t stand still.” Hye Ri threatened Kai.

 

“Well… I… Err… This sculpture was at our police station, and I thought that it belongs here. It’s okay, right?” Kai smiled.

 

“Yes, of course. But, I don’t want to see you anymore.” Hye Ri said coldly.

 

“Okay.” Kai smiled and left the house with JB.

 

However, Kai didn’t left the neighbourhood. Instead he’s observing the house quietly and shocked to see what’s happened inside the house.

 

(“Grumpy Kai, did I see it correctly?” JB whispers.)

 

At that moment, Kai and JB see Kim Hye Ri was messing up with Byung Hun’s wheel chair and cutting the wheelchair’s brake cable.

 

(“Grumpy Kai, we should let D.O knows about this. This is bad. This is really bad.”)

 

Kai fished out his cellphone from his pocket and dialled D.O’s number.

 

Fortunately, D.O was in the midst of his break from the interrogation, so he could answered Kai’s call.

 

“D.O.”

 

“D.O, we’re in trouble.” Kai said hastily.

 

“What happened?” D.O asked.

 

“Byung Hun is in danger.”

 

D.O went outside the interrogation room, only to meet with Se Jong who’s guarding the interrogation room to make sure that D.O won’t run away.

 

“D.O, please don’t do this to me. I will get a disciplinary punishment if you run away.” Se Jong begged D.O.

 

“Se Jong, do you trust me?” D.O asked calmly.

 

“Of course I do. But…” Se Jong trailled off.

 

“I don’t have time to explain. Just listen to this. If I don’t go now, then Kim Hye Ri’s son, Lee Byung Hun will be in danger.” D.O stated.

 

“Then, hit me.” Se Jong said firmly.

 

“Huh?” D.O confused.

 

“Go ahead and punch me. When you see the movies, I thought that trust is something like this, right?” Se Jong said and closed his eyes tightly shut, while waiting for D.O’s punch at him.

 

“Hmph. You tried so hard to act so cool.” D.O smiled and left the precinct in a hurry.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Inside the car, D.O tries to call Kai’s phone. It didn’t take too long before his phone was picked up.

 

“Kai, where are you?” D.O asked.

 

“I’m near Kim Hye Ri’s house.” Kai responded.

 

“Is she home or not?” D.O asked again.

 

“She’s coming out right now.” Kai stated.

 

“Tail her to wherever she’s going.” D.O ordered. “The boy is in danger. We don’t know what she’s capable of.”

 

“I’m on it.” Kai said and hangs up the phone.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Meanwhile at a landslide nearby…

 

Kim Hye Ri crouched down and said, “Byung Hun, you said that you wanted to see Hae Ji, right? You should see her soon. Are you happy?” Hye Ri said to Byung Hun with her sweet tone. “Let’s go see your sister.”

 

Kim Hye Ri stands up and about to push the wheel chair down to the downhill road, when suddenly Lee Byung Hun who supposed to be unable to stand on his own, stands up from his wheel chair.

 

“No. This is impossible.” Hye Ri step backward in shock.

 

Kai who has arrived at the scene, see the whole incident. He sees that Jang Hae Ji had possessed Lee Byung Hun’s body, to confront their mother.

 

“Mom….”

 

“No… no… no… no….” Kim Hye Ri shakes her head.

 

“So, all this time, it’s you?” Jang Hae Ji asked in disbelief.

 

“No… no… It wasn’t me.” Kim Hye Ri looks so frigtened and she keeps stepping backwards.

 

“You asked me to buy medicine, because Byung Hun had a stomach ache. You asked me to do it quickly.” Hae Ji said and keep moving forward toward Kim Hye Ri.

 

Kim Hye Ri who couldn’t see Jang Hae Ji had possessed Lee Byung Hun’s body, asked in trembling voice. “Who… Who the hell are you?”

 

“I was happy to have a mother. I was the happiest person in the world, since I have a brother whom I loved. I guess it’s not the same for you.” Jang Hae Ji keeps on talking and moving forward.

 

“No. That’s not it. You’re not Hae Ji. She’s dead.” Hye Ri keeps on shaking her head, frightened.

 

“I made a promise to protect Byung Hun. You can’t harm him. I won’t stand still.”

 

After that statement being spoken, Lee Byung Hun’s body become listless and he lost his consciousness since Hae Ji had come out from his body.

 

Kai hastily run towards Byung Hun. “Byung Hun, are you okay?” Kai shake Lee Byung Hun’s body, but he remains unconscious.

 

Kim Hye Ri who had regain herself, grabbed a piece of rock from the ground and about to hit Kai and Lee Byung Hun. Luckily, she was stopped by D.O who has arrived at the scene.

 

“Put that down. Mrs. Kim. It’s all over now.” D.O yelled at Hye Ri.

 

“Hae Ji is dead. Hae Ji is dead.” Kim Hye Ri keeps on repeating those words over and over again.

 

All of a sudden, the wheelchair starts to move by itself and bumped into Kim Hye Ri's body, causing her to lost her balance and fall down to the cliff below the road.

 

D.O rush to the edge of the cliff to check on Kim Hye Ri's condition. Unfortunately the cliff is quite deep, and it made D.O unable to confirm her condition. Jugding from the height where she fall from, it's unlikely for her to survive from the fall. D.O huffed a deep sigh and turn to check on Kai. 

 

“Kai! Are you okay?” D.O asked.

 

“I’m fine.” Kai nods his head.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Case Closure

 

Half an hour later, Se Jong and Min Kyu arrives at the crimes scene with the forensic team to retrieve Kim Hye Ri’s body from the bottom of the cliff. As for Lee Byung Hun, since he have no other relatives left, Kai and D.O take him to his grandmother’s house to live with her. Of course, Hae Ji also come along with him.

 

Before Kai and D.O left the grandmother’s house, Hae Ji bows at Kai to show her gratitude for saving her brother and take him safely to their grandmother. Kai smiles at Hae Ji and slightly nods his head in response.

 

“Who are you smiling at?” D.O asked curiously. He’s been observing Kai for a while and the more he observe, the more he think Kai is a bit weird.

 

“Huh? No one. I’m just smiling to myself.” Kai tries to dodge the question.

 

“First you like to talk to yourself, and now you’re smiling to yourself too?” D.O furrows his brows together. “You’re really are a weird partner.”

 

“Huh? Partner? Did I heard it correctly? You finally acknowledge me as your partner? Is that true? Really?” Kai keeps on talking in one breath.

 

“Yeah. You’re my partner, right? It’s not too bad to have you as a partner.” D.O shrugged and turned around to walk to his car.

 

“You mean it, right? I refuse to take it as a lousy joke of yours.” Kai stated.

 

“I said you’re not too bad as a partner, but you still have lots to learn to be equal with me.” D.O smirks at Kai.

 

“I don’t care! Even if I still have lots to learn, but for now, you’re already acknowledge me as your partner. And that’s what matter the most!” Kai exclaim excitedly. “You’re not allowed to take it back!”

 

“Fine… Fine…” D.O sighed. “Geez, you’re just like a kid. And a hyperactive one.” D.O stated while rolling his eyes. “Now, can we go back to the precinct? I still have to deal with the Internal Affairs for running away from them during their investigation on me. I hope they wouldn’t give any detention to Se Jong for letting me go earlier.” D.O huffed a deep sigh.

 

“Don’t worry!” Kai stated firmly. “As your partner, I’ll back you up. I’ll be your witness and telling them that it was all Kim Hye Ri’s plan to tarnish your reputation.”

 

“Whatever you say, Kai… whatever you say…” D.O huffed another deep sigh and went inside his car.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------