Little Kai

Nephalem

Little Kai once had a weak heart which made him unable to do too much of heavy outdoor activities since it would be bad for his heart. Like any other people who had a weak heart, Kai was listed for a heart transplant. It was hard enough for an adult to have a heart transplant, moreover a kid. But little Kai’s will to survive while waiting for a heart donor is so high, and little Kai won’t allow himself to lose hope.

 

Little Kai was born with a special ability. An ability which could be classified either as a blessing or a curse, depends on who had it. As for little Kai, well, at first he was scared. Who wouldn’t? After all, back then, little Kai was just a little kid. Because of his special ability, little Kai didn’t get along too well with his friends, in fact, all of them afraid of him. In his friends’ opinion, little Kai was a weird kid, who always looks terrified and talk to himself. There was one time, when little Kai played with his friends, suddenly little Kai pushed one of his friends to the ground, and soon after, a flower pot hit the ground, right where his friends was standing earlier. There’s always a weird accident happened around little Kai, which made his friends began to think that befriended with Kai is a bad luck, and little Kai was left all alone.

 

Being all alone by himself, little Kai loved to play in a nearby playground, not too far from his house. Little Kai would play in the playground all by himself, until the sunset, and went home straight after. Little Kai hate his special gift, because it had made him all alone, since all of his friends are afraid of him. He begins to wonder, what his life would be, without his special gift. Maybe, he wouldn’t be lonely, maybe he would be surrounded by his friends, playing together and laughing together, like any normal kids would do. It would be nice and fun. Little Kai wondered and smiled to himself. But then again, the reality wasn’t as beautiful as he wanted to be. Little Kai was still alone, swaying in one of the little swing on the playground.

 

“Hey, you! What are you doing there?” A boy’s voice suddenly called out for little Kai’s attention.

 

Little Kai looked up and see a boy, around his age, staring at him curiously while approaching his swing. “Huh?”

 

“I said what are you doing there all by yourself.” The boy repeated his words. “It’s almost sunset, don’t you afraid of the dark? A kid shouldn’t be out all by himself at this hour.”

 

(Speak for yourself… You’re also a kid like me…)

 

Little Kai heaved a deep sigh, before he said, “You’re also a kid like me… and you’re out here at this hour too.”

 

“Well…” The boy looks like he couldn’t utter any words, but then he immediately said, “Well… I was about to go home from my piano lessons, then I see you here.” The boy tried to defend himself.

 

Little Kai looked at the weird boy carefully. He had a thick black hair, a pair of sparkling eyes and small lips which had puckered into a pout, when little Kai didn’t respond to him.

 

“Hey… why are you looking at me like that? Don’t you want to go home? It’s getting late. It’s not safe for a kid to wander around at this hour.” The boy said to little Kai.

 

“Just go home. Leave me alone.” Little Kai said while lowering his head and shuffling his feet.

 

“Sigh. How could I go home, when there’s a stubborn kid who didn’t want to go home?” The boy sit on a swing beside little Kai and start to swing it.

 

“I don’t feel like going home to an empty house.” Kai mumbled with a low voice, almost couldn’t be heard.

 

“Ah… your parents are working, right?” The boy said while nodding his little head. “Then, I’ll stay with you for a while, untill you feel like going home.”

 

Little Kai amazed at the boy’s spontaneous and looked at him with widened eyes. “Why?”

 

“Because I feel like doing so. Is that a problem?” The boy looked straight to little Kai’s eyes while smirked at him.

 

“Well, you shouldn’t get yourself too close to me.” Little Kai lowered his head again and added. “I’m a bad luck. You might getting bad luck too if you get too close to me.”

 

“Really? No way? There’s no such thing as bad luck. Everyday is a good day. And things that you’ve called bad luck, could be a lesson for your future.” The boy shrugged.

 

“Not mine.” Little Kai smiled weakly. “I have a curse.”

 

“How do you know that it’s a curse instead of a blessing?”

 

“Because bad things always happened and there’s nothing that I could do about it.” Little Kai sighed.

 

“Then… all you have to do is just try harder, and think of it as a blessing, instead of a curse, right?” The boy said while swinging on his swing.

 

“….”

 

“Well, I don’t know what your problem is. But, maybe… when you think of it as a blessing, you’ll be able to do something. Maybe you won’t feel so down and maybe you could even help others. Don’t you think so?” The boy tilted his head a little, while he was looking at little Kai.

 

Little Kai pondered for a while and begin to understand what the boy trying to say to him.

 

“Oh my God.” Suddenly the boy screamed in shock when he looked at his wristwatch. “I’m so late. I’d better go home now, or my mom would nag on me for hours.” The boy rolled his eyes.

 

Little Kai didn’t say anything in response. Instead, he just staring at the boy who had hop down the swing while dusting his little pants.

 

“Here…” The boy handed something into little Kai’s palm. “You looked like you need something sweet to cheer you up.” The boy smiled widely to Kai, and started to run home, but suddenly he halt and turned to Kai again. “Hey, don’t stay too long. You should go home too, okay? See ya!” The boy waved at Kai and run off to his home.

 

Little Kai looked at the boy who had just dissapeared into the corner of the street and then he opened his palm to see a lolipop, and smile to himself.

 

Suddenly, a glimpse of scenes played in front of little Kai’s eyes.

 

(A car accident… people screaming… blood and dead bodies everywhere…)

 

Little Kai shrieked in fear.

 

(The boy is laying among the dead bodies… covered with a pool of blood.)

 

Little Kai start to run and looked around. All that he knew, he had to find the boy, to warn him… to save him… to prevent the scenes that he had just saw earlier from happening to the boy. But no matter how hard little Kai looked around, the boy was nowhere to be seen, as if the boy had vanished into thin air.

 

For a few days later, little Kai kept on coming back to the playground, with a slight hope that somehow he could meet the boy again to warn him about what he saw that night. But his wish never come true. Little Kai never meet the boy again.

 

All that little Kai could do was praying and hoping that the boy would be okay… that somehow… the boy would survived, so he could meet him again.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

One Week Later…

 

In the morning, Kim’s residence got a phone call, stating that Kai was next in line to receive a heart donor, and a heart had been delivered to the hospital where little Kai treated. Without further ado, Kim’s family headed to the hospital and signed any related documents for the heart transplantion.

 

The operation was a success. Now, little Kai had a healthy heart and he could do lots of things that he couldn’t even dare to dream to do before. Little Kai wondering about his heart donor, and asked his parents to find any information about his donor. However, the hospital couldn’t give any information about the heart donor, since it’s against the law and the hospital regulation.

 

After his heart transplantation, little Kai had determined to live to its fullest and pursue his dream, to become a police detective. Before, little Kai didn’t dare to dream to become a police detective, due to his weak heart, but now, after he had a healthy heart, little Kai determined to become a police detective and use his special ability to help others.

 

As little Kai grew older, he started to cope with his special ability. He started to learn when to speak up and when he should remain silent. Kai start to make new friends, but none of his friends knows about his special ability. Kai had learned in a hard way, most people hardly accept anything beyond their logical mind.

 

Throughout the years, little Kai’s special ability start to develop. Not only he could have several images of premonition, but he could also communicate. With whom? The dead, of course. While in the living world little Kai had no friends, but in the world of the dead, he got few friends, so he didn’t feel as lonely as before. However, little Kai still couldn’t forget about the boy who he met in the playground. Because of him, Kai had learned to accept his special ability as a blessing, instead of a curse.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------