D.O.

Nephalem

 

Kai’s POV

 

(D.O? What kind of name is that? Is he dropping out from school, and earned that name or what? I wondered what he looked like… Would he look like an old man with messy moustache and beard like the chief? Or would he look like a panda because lack of sleeps due to the job?)

 

Kai wondered while he was driving his bike to the written address and chuckling to himself because of his absurd thoughts.

 

After a few minutes, Kai park his bike in front of the café, and went inside the café.

 

(So… where is this D.O, huh? Damn, I forgot to ask for his pictures from the chief. So stupid!)

 

Kai cursed himself quietly, and started to look around.

 

(Think Kai! Think! Well, if this D.O is a regular here, the waiter would have known him quite well.)

 

“Excuse me, do you know which one is D.O?” Kai started to ask one of the café’s waitress.

 

“D.O? Oh, He’s over there.” The waitress pointed to one corner of the café, where a young man sits comfortable while reading his book.

 

“Ah, thank you.”

 

(He’s D.O? Whoa. What a gorgeus looking man. He doesn’t look like a detective at all. He’s more like a model or a selebrity.)

 

Kai walked towards the gorgeus young man and then…

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

D.O’s POV

 

After hanging up the phone, D.O continues his reading and order another cup of capuccino. The café’s bell jingling a few times, but he didn’t care who’s coming or who’s going out.

 

All of a sudden, D.O heard someone stood by his side.

 

“D.O?”

 

D.O look up from his book for a couple of seconds to that man, but didn’t say anything and just keep on reading.

 

“Hey, I was talking to you. Are you D.O or not?”

 

“What if I am and what if I’m not?” D.O flatly said while his eyes still fixated on his book.

 

“Look, I’m in a hurry… and I don’t want to waste my time in talking to you, if you’re not D.O. I have to find this D.O prick.”

 

“So, D.O is a prick? If he’s a prick, then why do you look for him?”

 

“Never mind.” The young man said to D.O

 

The young man, who turned out to be Kai, started to walk to the cashier to ask a few questions. D.O couldn’t hear their conversation, but he notice that the cashier pointed her finger toward his direction. After saying thank you to the cashier, Kai headed back to where D.O seated.

 

“Hey, why don’t you tell me that you’re D.O?” Kai said grumpily.

 

“I don’t have any obligation to tell you who I am. Am I right?”

 

From the first glance, D.O had known this man is his new partner, whom his uncle talked about earlier, though he didn’t know his name. He really look like a rookie. Full of excitement, enthusiasm, sparkling eyes, and maybe having a bit of temper, too.

 

“Arrggh.. you’re unbelievable.” Kai pulled his hairs in frustration.

 

“You’re not the first one saying that.” D.O said. “If you’re done with your business here, then go.”

 

“Wait, you don’t even know who I am yet.” Kai protest.

 

“I know who you are. You’re supposed to be my new partner. But I’ll tell you what, don’t waste your time. I don’t need a partner and I prefer to work alone. It’s more practical and less hassle for me. So, why don’t you go back to the precinct and told the chief what I’ve just said to you.”

 

“What? How…?” Kai speechless.

 

“How do I know? It’s obvious.” D.O said.

 

“First, you’ve got a post-it in your hand, with the café address on it. So, you must have gotten this café address from someone. Earlier, the chief called me and he’s the only one in the precinct who knows about my whereabouts and this café.”

 

“Second, you’re also driving your bike to get here. I could see bits of your bike gloves in your pocket. Your pants slightly wrinkled and you’ve got mud stains at the bottom of your pants, means you’re driving your bike and pass the construction site near the precinct, on your way here. ” D.O shrugged.

 

“….”

 

“Now, tell me, why would I need a rookie partner like you?” D.O looked up from his book towards Kai.

 

“….”

 

“Unless you have anything to say to me, you should go back now.” D.O turned his gaze back on his book and continue his reading.

 

“But…” Kai trailled off.

 

“Tell the chief, not to bother to look for a partner for me, and I’ll be back to the office, after I finished my coffee.” D.O wave his hand to shoo Kai away.

 

Kai clenched his fists and gritted his teeth, before he storming out from the café, to the parking lot, where his bike was.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At The Parking Lot…

 

“Stupid jerk. Who did he think he was, huh?” Kai talked to himself while he put on his helmet and riding on his bike. “Jenius, my . He’s just some ignorant-stupid-arrogant-smartass-.” Kai murmured while taking his final glance at the café, where he could see a glimpse of D.O.

 

(But he’s so gorgeus… with that pair of doe eyes…that round face.. smooth and silky skin… )

 

Kai shaked his head off his thoughts. “Forget it, Kai. Don’t let yourself fall with that prick!”

 

“Hmpft. Why did they pair me up with that prick? Didn’t they have anyone ‘normal’ at the precinct anymore?” Kai said grumpily. “If I have to choose between the devil and that arrogant prick as my partner, I’ll be more than please to take the devil itself.” Kai puffed out a heavy sigh, before he started his bike’s engine and drive back to the precinct.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Back at the precinct…

 

“Chief, I don’t think I could do it. There’s no way I could partner with a cold prick like him.” Kai whine to Jae Young, as soon as he arrived at the precinct.

 

“Don’t tell me… he’s saying that he didn’t need any partner and he could do anything by himself?” Jae Young responded to Kai.

 

“You knew? Then why did you ask me to be his partner?” Kai sighed.

 

“It’s the same old-lame excuses that he was saying to some detectives who were assigned to pair up with him. And none of them lasted more than a week in partnering with him.” Jae Young explained.

 

“I can tell why…” Kai rolled his eyes. “Huff… but, Chief… can’t I just got another partner? Like a normal one?” Kai whined.

 

“Look, Kai. This is a police precinct. You didn’t get the luxury to choose your partner.” Jae Young said. “In this job, no matter what happened, you stick with your partner, and protect each other’s life like it’s your own life.”

 

“But…Chief…” Kai trailed off.

 

“I’m sorry, Kai. But D.O is your partner, whether both of you like it or not.” Jae Young huffed. “For now, just give him some time.” Jae Young concluded.

 

“For now, you can sit over there, second table from the right, next to D.O’s table.” Jung Jae Young lifted his head while pointing to one corner in the room. “You could unpack your things there.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

While Kai unpacking his belongings, D.O came back to the office.

 

“Morning.” D.O. greeted everyone in the Violent Crimes Department.

 

Kai looked up and saw the annoying man who had just ruin his first day, walked towards his desk and sit comfortably.

 

“Yo, D.O. Right on time.” Jae Young greeted him. “Where’s the report of your case? I thought you said that you had given the report to me on my desk.”

 

“Right here, Chief.” D.O waving a folder on his hand before he handed it over.

 

“You’re supposed to give the report to me, yesterday.” Jae Young sighed.

 

D.O shrugged and headed back to his desk.

 

“Oh, by the way. That’s Kai. Your new partner.” Jae Young introduce Kai to D.O.

 

“Pass.” D.O said coldly.

 

“No can’t do, brat. That’s an order.” Jae Young staring sharply at D.O. “The last time you worked on a case, you almost got yourself killed. Beside, you’re the only one here, who didn’t have a partner. Hence, he’s your partner.” Jae Young smirked.

 

“May I talk with you for a second, in private, Chief?” D.O. demanded.

 

“I’ve got nothing to talk to you.” Jae Young responded.

 

“But I’ve got urgent and important things to talk to you.” D.O. insisted.

 

D.O. stood up and start to dragged Jae Young out of the room, to the bathroom, leaving Kai with a confused face.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At The Bathroom…

 

“Look, Chief. You can’t do this to me. You know I’m not a social person. I can’t have a partner. I prefer to do my job, alone. You’ve seen how well my job is done, even if I don’t have any partner.” D.O begin to reasoning his opposition.

 

“I know. But you can’t always working on a case all by yourself. It’s too dangerous. I know that you don’t afraid or feel any dangerous situation. But, that’s what make me more worried of you.” Jae Young explained.

 

“Uncle Jae… I’m doing fine by myself. You don’t have to worry about me.” D.O said.

 

“You always solved your cases recklessly, despite of the dangerous situation. That’s why you need a partner. Just considered him as your brakes or your wi-fi, or something like that.” Jae Young added.

 

“Uncle…”

 

“Do Kyungsoo. Your father is my older brother. I watch you grow up. Do you think I could face your father in the afterlife, if I let you working on dangerous cases, all by yourself?” Jae Young said sharply.

 

“Fine. But I still doing my cases with my own way.” D.O finally said and walked out from the bathroom.

 

“Don’t forget to bring Kai with you. You’ll need him.” Jae Young called out.

 

(Yeah, right. Like I would ever need that rookie.) D.O thought and head back to the Violent Crimes Department’s room.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After a while, Jae Young went back to the room with a serious face. “D.O, Kai, my office.”

 

D.O and Kai stood up and headed to the chief’s office.

 

“We’ve got a report of a murder case in Gonghang-dong. Go to this address now.” Jae Young ordered.

 

“Yes, chief.” D.O and Kai said simulataneously.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------