Flawless Alibi (Part 1)

Nephalem

In the dead silence of the night, at a parking lot, a young man shouts out to an old man.

 

“You’re a murderer.” The young man said with anger laced in his voice.

 

“Who are you? What the hell are you talking about?” The old man asked.

 

“You’re a murderer.” The young man repeats his words and added, “You’ve killed my father 19 years ago!”

 

“Look, young man, I think you’ve mistaken me with someone else.” The old man tries to calm him. “I don’t know you, yet suddenly you show up in front of me, saying that I’ve killed your father? It’s absurd!”

 

“You’ve killed him. I know you did!” The young man retorts.

 

“Who’s your father anyway?” The old man asked.

 

“I’m Cho Su Hun. My father is Cho Jae Hyun, and you’ve killed him 19 years ago!” Cho Su Hun stated while grabbing the old man by his collar in anger.

 

“W-What? You’ve got the wrong man, young man. I don’t know anyone with that name.” The old man hastily walked away from the parking lot.

 

“You’re lying! I know that you know him! You’re the last person who met him on the day he died!” Cho Su Hun screams while chasing after the old man.

 

“N-No. You’re wrong. I don’t know your father. Leave me alone!” The old man starts to run when he saw Cho Su Hun chasing after him.

 

“Yes, you did! If you don’t know him, then why the hell do you run away from me!”

 

After a while of chasing, Cho Su Hun managed to catch up with the old man. “You killed my father! Admit it! Admit that you had killed him!” He yelled while gabbing the old man’s collar once again.

 

With all his might, the old man barely manage to release himself from Cho Su Hun’s grips and start to run away again.

 

“Wait! You—!”

 

Unfortunately, this time Cho Su Hun didn’t manage to catch up with the old man. Instead, he stumble upon a railing chain on the pedestrian’s walk and falls hard with his head hitting on the ground first. Few seconds later, his vision starts to blur and darkness starts to swallow his consciousness.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The next morning, at Seoul Police Headquarters…

 

“D.O, Kai, come to my office now.” Jae Young ordered as soon as he see that D.O and Kai has arrived at the precinct.

 

“What’s up, chief? New case?” D.O asked as he entered the chief’s office.

 

“Yeah. There was an assault last night. The victim came earlier to report the assault with a broken neck. He claimed that a young man had assault him last night.” Jae Young explained.

 

“Then, it’s a clear case, right? All we had to do is take the offender to the station and arrest him.” D.O shrugged.

 

“Unfortunately, after the assault last night, the offender had fallen into a coma.” Jae Young added.

 

“Huh? How on earth did that happened?” Kai asked curiously. “The offender assault the victim, yet he’s the one who fell into a coma?”

 

“Well, it turned out that after the assault, the offender stumbled upon a railing chain on the pedestrian’s walk with his head first, causing him to lost his consciousness and fall into a coma.” Jae Young stated as he handed the case file to D.O.

 

“Then, what do you want us to do?” D.O asked as he flipped over the pages of the case file. “Do you want us to take him to the precinct as soon as he awake, or what?”

 

“First, go to the hospital and talk to the offender’s family. See if you could find any information related to the case.” Jae Young ordered.

 

“We’re on it.” D.O stated and left the precinct along with Kai.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Myungdung University Hospital

 

“Excuse me, we are looking for a patient named Cho Su Hun. What’s his room number?” Kai asked one of the nurse in the nurse station.

 

“He’s in room 919.” The nurse stated after she browse on her computer.

 

“Thanks.” Kai said in brief and left the nurse station to look for the room.

 

Few minutes later, D.O and Kai has find the mentioned room and starts their investigation by asking questions to the offender’s sister, Cho Hye Jung.

 

“Ms. Cho, we apologize for disturbing you in a time like this, but we need to ask a few questions to you.” Kai stated as he entered the room.

 

“It’s okay, officer. I’ll do my best to cooperate with you.” Cho Hye Jung states as he looked at his unconscious brother who’s lying on the hospital’s bed.

 

“Then, let’s start the question.” Kai seated himself in one of available chair in the room, while D.O remains standing and observe.

 

“First of all, do you happen to know that your brother had assaulted a man named Jung Ho Keun?” Kai ask his first question.

 

“No. I’ve only got a phone call from the hospital saying that my brother had fallen into a coma after he hurt his head. But I figure that he would do that though.” Cho Hye Jung said.

 

“What makes you think that he would do that?”

 

“Because that person killed our father.” Cho Hye Jung stated calmly.

 

“Huh? Then, could you tell us more about your father, and how did you know that that man killed your father?” Kai asked.

 

“My father is Cho Jae Hyun. He was once a businessman who runs a food factory called Tongyang Confectionary Corp., and that man, Mr. Jung Ho Keun runs a food factory called Saewookang.” Cho Hye Jung sighed before she continues. “Me and my brother was once told that our father commits suicide by jumping from his factory building by our mother. Recently, around 6 months ago, our mother passed away due to her illness. On her death bed, she stated that our father didn’t commit a suicide, instead he’s actually murdered by Jung Ho Keun.”

 

“Your father was murdered?” Kai asked to reconfirm.

 

Yes. Me and my brother had always heard from our mom that our father had committed suicide, but only to have her telling us something like that in the end.

 

“Do you have any evidence to back up your statement?” Kai asked.

 

“After our mother passed away, My brother became fixated on that statement and when we were clearing up my mom’s things, we found an old journal which was belonged to our father.” Cho Hye Jung take out a journal from her handbag and hand it over to Kai, who’s giving the journal to D.O.

 

D.O starts to read the journal as Cho Hye Jung continues on with her statement. “As you can see in that journal, on the date of my father’s death, September 30th, there’s a note saying, “10 pm, Blacklist, 5.”

 

“10 pm, Blacklist, 5?” Kai asked to reconfirm.

 

“On the same night, at 11 pm, our father committed a suicide.” Cho Hye Jung stated.

 

“So, in other words, you were saying that your father met with someone, just before he died?” Kai asked.

 

“That’s what we think.” Cho Hye Jung stated firmly.

 

“Then, do you know what 5 means?” Kai asked.

 

“No. We don’t know what it means.” Cho Hye Jung said.

 

“Do you know where your father died?” Suddenly D.O popped up the question.

 

“He jumps from the roof of his factory building in Seoul.” Cho Hye Jung stated.

 

“I see.” D.O said in brief.

 

“My brother went to talk to the police about it, but they told him, because it was declared as a suicide, there are no records remaining of the incident.” Cho Hye Jung adds on. “I think what my brother did was wrong, but he’s all the family I have left now. Please help him.” Cho Hye Jung pleads.

 

“Excuse me, can we borrow your father’s notebook?” D.O asked.

 

“Yes, of course.” Cho Hye Jung gives her permission.

 

With that statement, Kai ends his questioning, then both D.O and Kai left the room and went to the parking lot.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Inside the car…

 

“So, we’re heading back to the precinct?” Kai asked D.O as he buckled up.

 

“Hm, let’s head to Saewookang factory. We’ve heard the story from the offender’s side, it’s time to hear the story from the victim’s side as well.” D.O stated.

 

“I’m on it.” Kai replied as he starts the car engine and left the hospital.

 

Meanwhile, D.O take out his cellphone and starts to dial a certain number. His call was picked up after it ring twice by Se Jong.

 

“Violent Crimes Department.” Se Jong greets.

 

“Se Jong. It’s me, D.O. Could you find the video footage of the assault case of Mr. Jung Jo Keun from CCTV?”

 

“You mean, the case which the offender has fallen into a coma?” Se Jong asked to reconfirm.

 

“Yeah. That’s the one. I’ve got the printed image of the video footage from the CCTV, but I need to see the video footage as well.” D.O stated.

 

“Ok. Got it.” Se Jong said.

 

“Ah, one more thing, when you have it, please send it over to my cellphone.” D.O ordered.

 

“Sure thing.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Fifteen minutes later, Kai dan D.O were directed to the conference room in Saewookang factory to wait for Mr. Jung Ho Keun. As soon as he arrives, Kai and D.O stands from their seats and give a slight bow at him.

 

“Are you okay?” Out of concern, Kai asked Jung Ho Keun when he sees there were some bandages on his face.

 

“It’s not too bad. More importantly, how is his condition?” Jung Ho Keun asked Kai.

 

“He still hasn’t regained consciousness.” Kai answers.

 

“I see.” Jung Ho Keun said in a low voice.

 

“So, Mr. Jung, did Cho Su Hun fell by himself and hit his own head on the process?” Kai asked.

 

“Yes.”

 

“I see.”

 

“Will it be seen as my fault? If so, then I apologize.” Jung Ho Keun said to Kai.

 

“No. He fell on his own, so—”

 

“He suddenly came at me and part of me is still quite upset about it, but I still would like him to be okay.” Jung Ho Keun cut Kai’s words before he could finished it.

 

“Did you know him? I mean, did you know Cho Su Hun?” Kai asked.

 

“No. It was the first time I’d met him.” Jung Ho Keun said.

 

“Did you know any member of his families or his friends?” Kai asked again.

 

“No.”

 

“Did you know why he wanted to hurt you?”

 

“I have no idea about it. I was eating at a nearby restaurant and just as I was about to head home, he was waiting for me in the parking lot.” Jung Ho Keun explained.

 

D.O who had been quiet while Kai questioning Jung Ho Keun, suddenly said, “Excuse me, Mr. Jung, I checked the video footage from a security camera, but Cho Su Hun said something to you. What did he said to you back then?”

 

“It was all so sudden, so I don’t remember.” Jung Ho Keun replied.

 

“Then, let me remind you. Here, as you can see, in this video footage, Cho Su Hun said, “You’ve killed my father, 19 years ago.” D.O shows the video footage that he had received from Se Jong, earlier.

 

“He must have confused me with someone else. I’ve never seen him before, so I have no idea of what he was talking about.” Jung Ho Keun stated firmly.

 

“Hm? Is that so?” D.O said briefly and nods his head while he smirks to himself.

 

“Are we done here?” Jung Ho Keun hastily asked Kai. “I don’t want to be rude, but I’ve got a meeting appointment in 30 minutes, and I have to prepare the material for the meeting.”

 

“Hm… we’re done for now.” Kai stated while closing his notebook and stands up. “But we might need to see you again if we need more information from you.” Kai and D.O slightly bowed their head and left the factory.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At The Conference Room of Violent Crimes Department…

 

Case Briefing

 

“We find out that Cho Su Hun was waiting for Jung Ho Keun and hit him while screaming “you’ve killed him”. But Jung Ho Keun stated that it was the first time they’d ever met.” Kai starts the case briefing.

 

“Then, did Cho Su Hun mistook Jung Ho Keun for someone else?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“Nineteen years ago, Cho Su Hun’s father, Cho Jae Hyun committed suicide, but there’s also a chance that he was killed.” Kai stated.

 

“According to the journal that we borrowed from his younger sister, before their father died, he was waiting for someone.” D.O stated while showing a journal in his hand. “And Cho Su Hun only found out about that journal, just recently.” D.O added.

 

“Then, what is the possible connection between Cho Jae Hyun and Jung Ho Keun?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“I found out that 19 years ago, Tongyang Confectionary was bought out by Lotte Food Industrial Company.” Se Jong stated his findings.

 

“19 years ago?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“In November, 2010, to be exact.” Se Jong stated.

 

“November 2010? That’s two months after Cho Jae Hyun died.” Kai said in shock.

 

“We need to find out more about Tongyang Confectionary, but if it had been bought out by Lotte Food Indrustrial Company, then would it be possible to find any information?” D.O asked all of them.

 

“Oh, that won’t be a problem.” Se Jong answers firmly.

 

“Then, I’ll leave it to you, Se Jong. Let me know if you find any new lead about it.” D.O said to Se Jong.

 

With that statement, the meeting dismissed and everyone went back to their own desk.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It only took a few minutes, before Se Jong called out for everyone’s attention and starts to explain his findings.

 

“After Lotte Food Industrial Company acquired Tongyang Confectionary, they renewed their contracts with all of Tongyang Confectionary’s former business connections. These are the detailed documents of it.” Se Jong gives everyone each copy of the mentioned documents.

 

“Thank you, Se Jong. Then, let’s split these up and see if you can find Jung Ho Keun’s name anywhere in these documents.” D.O ordered.

 

“Got it.” Min Kyu and Se Jong said in sync.

 

“Are there any former employees of Tongyang Confectionary who works at Lotte Food Industrial Company?” Kai asked Se Jong.

 

“I think there are some employees of Tongyang Confectionary who continued to work under Lotte Food Industrial Company.” Se Jong stated while flipping on the pages of the document. “Ah, here it is. There’s one staff with the name of Park Choon Sung.”

 

“Then, all that left is the Blacklist bar and number 5.” D.O mumbles and turn to Min Kyu and Se Jong.

 

“Min Kyu, Se Jong. Both of you go to Lotte Food Industrial Company and ask the staff about Cho Jae Hyun’s incident. See if he remembers anything from that night.” D.O ordered.

 

“We’re on it.” As soon as D.O finish his statement, Min Kyu and Se Jong left the precinct and went to Lotte Food Industrial Company.

 

“Kai, let’s go to Blacklist Bar, to find out more information about who did Cho Jae Hyun met before he died.” D.O also stands up and head to the door.

 

“I’m right behind you.” Kai hastily stands up from his desk and went with D.O to the parking lot.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Meanwhile, at Lotte Food Industrial Company, Min Kyu and Se Jong starts to ask questions to Park Choon Sung about Cho Jae Hyun’s incident.

 

“Of course I remember it. Those memories are more sad than anything that I remember.” Park Choon Sung heaves a deep sigh.

 

“We’re sorry for making you talk about such a difficult subject.” Min Kyu apologized.

 

“It’s okay. It’s just that, CEO Cho Jae Hyun had treated us very well. He would joke around with us and he was a very kind person. So, if I can be of any help, then it would be good.” Park Choon Sung smiles sadly.

 

“Then, do you remember anything from that time?” Se Jong asked.

 

“Yes. On that day, when the CEO Cho Jae Hyun committed suicide, I was working overtime in the office. When I was thinking about heading home, the CEO came back to the office and passed through the hallway.” Park Choon Sung recalls his memory.

 

“Then, you did see him come back to the office?” Se Jong asked to reconfirm.

 

“Yes. After a while, I remembered that there were some documents which needed his signatures. Since he was back at the company, so I think I’d just get them over with and I went to his office. But, he wasn’t there though and at that time, I notice that the door to the roof was open.” Park Choon Sung stated.

 

“It’s the roof where the CEO fell from, right?” Se Jong asked.

 

“Yes.

 

“Was it a place where the CEO frequently went to?” Se Jong asked.

 

“Not really. The roof was where the staff smoked and the CEO wasn’t a smoker himself.” Park Choon Sung paused and added, “Anyway, I went to the roof. Then, suddenly I head voices from the road downstairs screaming, “Are you okay, Mister? Hence, I run towards the edge of the roof and I saw that the CEO had fallen. On the roof, there was a leftover remains of a cigarette, which was still burned.”

 

“The remains of a cigarette?” Se Jong asked to reconfirm.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Then, someone else must have been on the roof!” Min Kyu exclaims.

 

“That’s what I thought too. Moreover, I just couldn’t believe that the CEO would kill himself like that. Because on the roof, he had left a birthday cake.”

 

“A cake, huh?” Min Kyu mumbles.

 

“A person who would still be willing to buy a birthday cake for his kids, wouldn’t just kill himself like that.”

 

“Did you tell the police about all of this?” Se Jong asked.

 

“Of course, I did. I told them everything. But I don’t know why they said that it was a suicide. I guess maybe they hadn’t found anything else.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Almost at the same time, D.O and Kai has arrived at Blacklist bar, asking questions to the bartender about Cho Jae Hyun.

 

“Yes, I remember him. I was questioned about it by the police at that time, and it doesn’t happen everyday, you know? Moreover, Cho Jae Hyun’s son also come here on the other month.” The bartender stated.

 

“Cho Shu Hun came here?” Kai asked with a puzzled look.

 

“Yeah. He came here to ask if his father had come here on the night he died.” The bartender confirms.

 

“Then, could you tell me about what did you told him?” Kai asked again.

 

“Hm… on that day, Cho Jae Hyun had shown up here at around 10 pm. Their office was pretty close from here, so he’d often come here every now and then.”

 

“Did it looked like he’s waiting for someone?” Kai asked.

 

“Yes. But then he got a call from someone. On the phone call, he said that one of his staff was still at the office, so he asked if the person who called him, could come to meet him up on the roof.” The bartender paused and added, “He was a pretty nice guy and always joking around, that Cho Jae Hyun.”

 

“Did you know with whom he had an appointment with?” Kai asked.

 

“Hm… I have no idea.”

 

“As you can see in this journal…” D.O take out Cho Jae Hyun’s journal and show it to the bartender. “… here, he wrote 5. For example, does this place close at 5am?” D.O asked.

 

“Hm… let’s see…” The bartender recalls his memory. “If I’m not mistaken, the day that he came here was Thursday, so we stay open until 2 am on Thursday to Saturday.”

 

“I see.” Kai nods his head while he’s taking note.

 

“By the way, earlier you said that the police had come to talk to you, right?” D.O asked.

 

“Yes. They didn’t offer me any card name, but I took one anyway! Unfortunately, I gave it to Cho Su Hun, though.

 

“Then, do you remember which area they are from?”

 

“I think they’re from around this area, Itaewon.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Back at the precinct…

 

D.O and Kai were greeted with Se Jong with new information of the case. “In the list of the company which had renewed their contracts with Lotte Food Industrial Company, we found out that Jung Ho Keun’s company, the Saewookang, is listed on it.”

 

“So, in other words, nineteen years ago, Cho Jae Hyun who owned the Tongyang Confectionary had business relationship with Jung Ho Keun, who owns Saewookang?” Kai asked.

 

“That seems to be the case.” Se Jong nods his head.

 

“Then, we’ll have to look for more information about Saewookang.” D.O stated firmly.

 

“Did you find anything?” Se Jong asked D.O.

 

“Hu um. Cho Jae Hyun was supposed to meet someone at Blacklist Bar. However, in the bar, he got a phone call and the meeting place was moved to the roof of his company.” D.O stated.

 

“We were able to confirm from Park Choon Sung that Cho Jae Hyun was indeed on the roof. Moreover, even though he didn’t smoke, there was a leftover cigarette on the roof.” Min Kyu reports his findings.

 

“In other words, he was with someone who smokes.” D.O said in his response.

 

“Then, that means he could have met with Jung Ho Keun!” Kai exclaims.

 

“But we still have nothing solid on it yet. All that’s left is the “5”.

 

“Ah, right. 5. I wonder what it means…” Kai stated while he’s pondering.

 

“I think we should talk to the detective who’s in charge of Cho Jae Hyun’s case, 19 years ago.” D.O stated as he starts walking towards the door, to head out again. “Good job everyone. Kai, let’s go.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At Itaewon Police Station…

 

“I’m sorry for calling you so suddenly. After you stopped working as a detective, I heard that you’re being transferred here.” Kai apologized.

 

“So, you’re asking about Cho Jae Hyun’s case, huh? Did you know that his son also came here on the other day?” Choi Won Young asked Kai.

 

Without saying anything as his response, Kai starts his questions. “So, nineteen years ago, you’re the detective who’s in charge of Cho Jae Hyun’s case and you went to investigate the Blacklist Bar, is that correct?”

 

“Yeah. I was in charge of that case. It was only my first year, since I’d transferred to the detective department.” Choi Won Young confirms it.

 

“Just before Cho Jae Hyun fell from the roof, there was an eye-witness report, stating that Cho Jae Hyun had been on the roof with someone, right?” Kai asked.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Didn’t you think that there was another possible way of how he died?” Kai asked.

 

“Yeah. I also thought that there’s something was off about his suicide. Normally, a person who was planning to commit a suicide, wouldn’t buy a birthday cake, right?” Choi Won Young folds his arms on his chest and laid back in his chair.

 

“Then, why did you dispose the case as a suicide?” Kai asked.

 

“On the same day of the incident, there was a murder case in Busan, involving some wealthy family’s daughter. Her parents were two-big shots in the economic world and the case was eaten up by the media. As the result, our reputations were on the line and we had to wrap up Cho Jae Hyun’s case, as soon as possible.” Choi Won Young explained.

 

“Then, are you saying that there’s actually no one who investigated Cho Jae Hyun’s case?” Kai asked furiously.

 

“I was the only one who did the investigation. It took me an entire month, just to get all of the information from the eye-witnesses and those related to Tongyang Confectionary. However, one man suddenly popped up at the surface of all my investigations.” Choi Won Young explained.

 

“Was it Jung Ho Keun?” D.O asked calmly.

 

“What? So you already knew about it, didn’t you? At that time, his company, Saewookang was in a tight spot. They had asked for help from one of their business partner, the Tongyang Confectionary, but Cho Jae Hyun declined their request.” Choi Won Young stated.

 

“In other words, Jung Ho Keun had a motive, right?” Kai asked to reconfirm.

 

“On the night when Cho Jae Hyun died, we also got reports which stated that Jung Ho Keun was spotted near Tongyang Confectionary factory. Furthermore, traces of his saliva was found on the cigarette which was left on the roof.” Choi Won Young stated.

 

“If they found that evidence, why didn’t they arrest him?” Kai asked in his confusion.

 

“Because they were really persistent in saying that there wasn’t enough evidence for that case.” Choi Won Young said.

 

“What a lame excuse!” Kai exclaims.

 

“Well, in the end, that’s what organizations are.” Choi Won Young shrugged.

 

“Can I ask you one more thing?” D.O asked.

 

The detective turn his head around to D.O and nods his head once.

 

“In one of Cho Jae Hyun’s journal, he wrote the number of 5. During your investigations, did any information related to that number, ever turned up?” D.O asked.

 

“5? I don’t know anything about it.” Choi Won Young furrow his brows together and shake his head.

 

“Alright then. Thanks for your time, Mr. Choi.” Kai ends his questions and left the station with D.O.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

With Kai’s driving the car, D.O quietly organized his thoughts about the case.

 

(Nineteen years ago, just before he died, Cho Jae Hyun met someone. On the roof, where he fell from, the police found a leftover and half-finished cigarette. The forensic team detected traces of Jung Ho Keun’s saliva on it. Even though there were eye-witness reports, they were ignored. Hm, there wasn’t enough evidence. Even though they were supposed to meet at Blacklist Bar, if only we can conclude that it was Jung Ho Keun who met with Cho Jae Hyun…)

 

D.O shakes off his thoughts and starts to think about the number 5.

 

(10pm… Blacklist Bar… 5… 5… What’s this 5 supposed to mean?)

 

Due to the conflict in his head, D.O unconsciously turn on the radio and choose a random station to listen to. At that time, the broadcaster is in the middle of announcing the characteristic of zodiacs.

 

“Okay, everyone, after we heard about the characteristic of Rat, Ox, Tiger and Rabbit, now it’s time that we heard about the dragon traits. The Dragon is the mightiest of the signs. Dragons symbolize such character traits as dominance and ambition. They prefer to live by their own rules and if left on their own, they’re usually successful. People under Dragon signs are driven, unafraid of challenges and willing to take risks. They’re passionate in everything they do and they do things in grand fashion. While Dragons frequently help others, rarely will they ask for help. Others are attracted to Dragons, especially due to their colorful personalities, but deep down, Dragons prefer to be alone. Those who were under Dragon sign, born in the year 1952, 1964, 1976, 2000, and 2012.”

 

“Alright, now that we heard about the Dragons, let’s listen a song from EXO, Love Shot. We’ll be coming back after the break with the traits for Snake.”

 

“Say, D.O.” Kai said in the middle of the song playing. “What’s your zodiac? Mine is Dog. If you’re a year older than me, than it means your sign is Rooster, right?” Kai asked.

 

“Yeah.” D.O said mindlessly, but suddenly he startled when he realized something, and hastily flipping the page of the case file on his laps. When he finally finds what he’s looking for, he smirks to himself in full satisfaction.

 

“Kai, let’s head to Saewookang factory. There’s something that I need to confirm with Jung Ho Keun.” D.O ordered.

 

“Are you sure about it?” Kai asked D.O. “I don’t think that now is the right time to visit him. It’s 7pm. I think everyone had went home at this time.”

 

“Sigh. You’re right.” D.O huffed a deep sigh. “Then, let’s get back to the precinct and call it a day.”

 

“Do you want me to drive you home?” Kai offered. “I could drive you home and went back to the precinct to get my bike.”

 

“Nah, I’m good. Let’s just go back to the precinct. I’ll went home by myself. You have been driving all day, you must be exhausted.” D.O said in concern.

 

“I’m perfectly fine. I’m not tired at all.” Kai smirks.

 

“Thanks for the offer, Kai, but no. I’ll drive myself home. Besides, we still have to go to Saewookang to talk with Jung Ho Keun tomorrow.”

 

“Then…” Kai sounds a bit hesitant in saying his next sentence.

 

“What?” D.O asked and turn his head to look at Kai.

 

“Err… I was about to say… err….” Now Kai looks nervous.

 

“What is it Kai? Just say it already.” D.O starts to lose his patience.

 

“Err… do you mind if I… errr.. if I… stay over at your place tonight? I-I-I mean… you’ve said that we had to meet with Jung Ho Keun tomorrow, right? So, I was thinking… err… if I could stay over, then… errr… we could go there earlier… you know… so we can avoid the traffic jam?” Unconsciously Kai was stuttering due to his nervousness.

 

Kai feels so nervous as he’s waiting for D.O’s response. So nervous, that it made his heart beats so fast, as if it was about to explode. Would D.O scolds him like crazy, saying that he’s out of his mind, or would he gives his usual cold shoulder at him?

 

“Hm… but wouldn’t it be too early to meet him? If we go there early, he might haven’t come to his office yet.” D.O pondered for a while.

 

“Ah, you’re right.” Kai said listlessly.

 

(Of course he won’t let you stay over, you idiot! Who do you think you are to him? You’re just his mere partner! Idiot!)

 

Kai quietly scolds himself in his head.

 

“Well, if you don’t mind sleeping in the couch, then you could stay over at my place, though.” D.O said in a calm manner.

 

Kai could hardly believe what he heards. He swirl his head so quickly to look at D.O with widened eyes and mouth wide-opened in his disbelief, and almost twist his own neck.

 

“Hey! Eyes on the road!” D.O exclaims.

 

Kai immediately turns his head to face upfront. In his surprise, for a few seconds, he forgot that currently he’s still driving. Kai grip on the steering wheel tightly to calm his fast-beating heart, and said, “You mean, you don’t mind if I stay over at your place tonight?”

 

“Why? Did you change your mind? Forget it, then.” D.O stated and turn his head to look outside the window.

 

“NO!” Kai suddenly exclaims and made D.O turn his gaze back at Kai and furrows his brows.

 

“Errr… I mean… I don’t change my mind. I would LOVE to stay over at your place.” Kai said it with full enthusiasm.

 

“Hmph. You know what, you sound like a boy who had been granted his wish to eat as many ice cream as he likes.” D.O turn his gaze away from Kai and look outside the window again, to hide his chuckle from Kai.

 

“Hey, are you laughing at me?” A pout starts to form on Kai’s face. Even though D.O tries to hide his chuckle, but Kai still able to heard it faintly.

 

“No. I did not.” D.O turn his head to face upfront again and put on his usual cold face.

 

“Yes, you did. I heard your laugh.” Kai insist.

 

“No. I did not.” D.O repeats his words. “You’re imagining it.” D.O tilted his head a little to look at Kai from the corner of his eyes.

 

“Just admit it. I’m sure I heard your laugh.” The pout on Kai’s face become deeper.

 

“I said, I did not laugh.” D.O stated firmly. “If you still insist on it, then you can forget about staying over at my place.”

 

“Geez. Fine. Fine. You didn’t. Okay? I misheard it.” Kai said in his frustration over his defeat.

 

“Good boy.” D.O smirks.

 

“Then… err… I’m still allowed to stay over, right?” Kai asked.

 

“Having second thought again?” D.O asked.

 

“No. I just wanted to make sure that you didn’t change your mind.” Kai huffed a deep sigh loudly.

 

“I didn’t say that you can’t stay over at my place, did I?” D.O raised one of his brows at Kai.

 

“Then… now we’re going straight to your apartment?” Kai asked.

 

“Well, I live in my apartment… not in a graveyard, right?” D.O rolled his eyes.

 

“Sigh. What I’m trying to say is… what about dinner? Do you want to eat dinner first, before we go to your apartment?” Kai asked.

 

“Hm. Sounds good.” D.O nods his head while pondering about it. “What do you want to eat for dinner? It will be my treat.”

 

“How about spaghetti?” Kai asked.

 

“Huh? Do you like spaghetti?” D.O asked curiously.

 

“Not really. But I remember that you like spaghetti, right?” Kai smirks.

 

“Sigh. Just because I like spaghetti, it doesn’t mean that you have to eat it, you know?” D.O rolls his eyes. “Why do you want to eat spaghetti if you don’t like it anyway?”

 

“Because you like it, so I want to like it too?” Kai smiles like an idiot.

 

“Sigh. Seriously, Kai. What do you want to eat?” D.O asked again.

 

“Well, I like fried chicken, but I don’t know whether you like it or not.” Kai said sheepishly.

 

“Then fried chicken it is. But, let’s order a take out and eat it at my place.” D.O offered.

 

“Not that I mind, but why?” Kai asked.

 

“Because I hate crowded places. Is that answer satisfied you?” D.O said in annoying tone of voice.

 

“Fine. Fine. Then it’s a take out.” Kai gives in. He afraid that D.O might change his mind and not allowing him stay over if he keeps on insisting against his will.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Half an hour later, they arrives in front of D.O’s apartment door, with take out food in Kai’s grips. D.O had offered to help Kai in carrying half of it, but Kai insist that he could carry it all by himself.

 

As soon as D.O enters the pin number of his door lock, both of them enters the apartment.

 

“The plates is in the cupboard over the stove. Just place the food in them. You can eat it first, if you’re hungry. I’m going to hit the shower first.” D.O stated as he walked into his personal bathroom in his bedroom.

 

It didn’t take long for Kai to find the plates in the cupboard. After he place all the food into the plates, wash his hands, he starts to eat his dinner with his eyes looking around the apartment as if it was his first time.

 

(Who said that you’re the only one who could stay over at D.O’s apartment, huh? I could stay over too! Hah! In your face, Kim Bum!)

 

With that thought, Kai smirks to himself in full satisfaction.

 

When Kai is about to finish his dinner, D.O came out from his bedroom, looking fresh and gorgeous, with a towel wrapped on his neck, and slightly wet hair.

 

Kai was so infatuated with the beautiful image displayed in front of him, hence he stared at D.O with wide opened mouth and his hand freeze in the air, while holding a fried chicken.

 

“Hey, Kai. Are you okay?” D.O waves his hands in front of Kai’s silly expression. “Hellooo? Earth calling Kai.”

 

“Huh?” Kai finally awake from his trance and feel ashamed of his silly act. “Ah, I’m sorry. You were saying something?”

 

“I said, if you’re done eating, you could put your plates at the dishwasher over there.” D.O pointed at the dishwasher near the sink.

 

“Ah, okay.” Kai hastily finish his dinner quietly.

 

At the meantime, D.O starts to fold his hand sleeves and went to the cupboard. He take out several ingredients and prepare himself to cook something for his dinner.

 

“What are you doing?” Kai who had finished his dinner, take a peek from D.O’s shoulder to check on D.O.

 

“Is that even a question? Can’t you see for yourself what am I doing?” D.O said without looking at Kai.

 

“Hold on. You’re cooking?” Kai asked in disbelief. “You know how to cook? Why didn’t you tell me?” Kai pouts. “If I know that you can cook, I’d rather eat your cooking than the fried chicken.”

 

“You didn’t ask, right? Are you seriously saying that I should announce to the world that I can cook, when no one asked me about it? Are you in your right mind?” D.O shake his head in disbelief.

 

“But… but… but…” Kai retorts weakly.

 

“Fine. I tell you now. Yes. I can cook simple meals. I’ve been living on my own for quite some time. Did you think I could survive if I can’t cook?” D.O rolls his eyes.

 

“What are you cooking?” Kai asked curiously.

 

“Spaghetti.” D.O answers in brief.

 

“Then, make mine too!” Kai hastily requested.

 

“Huh? Haven’t you just finished your dinner earlier? Why did you want spaghetti too? Didn’t you said that you don’t like spaghetti?” D.O turn around to face Kai with furrowed brows.

 

“I didn’t say that I hate spaghetti, didn’t I?” Kai wriggling his brows at D.O.

 

“Sigh. Fine. But I don’t know if it fits your taste though.” D.O shrugged and turned around to start cooking his dinner.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Few minutes later, D.O’s spaghetti has been served at the dining table. On the contrary to D.O’s elegant manner in eating, Kai eats the spaghetti as if he haven’t had anything for dinner.

 

“How is it? Is it good?” D.O asked Kai.

 

“This is the best spaghetti I’ve ever had.” Kai mumbles with his mouth full of spaghetti.

 

“Eat slowly. The spaghetti isn’t going anywhere.” D.O smiles faintly when he’s looking at Kai who eats so fast as if there’s no tomorrow.

 

“Hu um.” Kai mumbles and nods his head.

 

“By the way, after dinner, you should take a shower. The bathroom is in my bedroom. I’ve prepared a set of change clothes and a towel for you on the table near the couch. I don’t know if it fits you or not, but it’s better than puttin on the same clothes that you’ve been wearing for a whole day.” D.O said to Kai.

 

“Ookaaay.” Kai said as he finish his dinner.

 

“Oh, right. There’s a new toothbrush in the bathroom’s cupboard.” D.O added.

 

“Got it.” Kai nods his head. “Then, I’ll go to shower after I wash the dirty dishes.”

 

“Just leave it there. I’ll wash it. You could go and take a shower now, before you got a cold.” D.O said to Kai.

 

“Hm, okay.” Kai stands up from his chair and went straight to the bathroom.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After shower, Kai couldn’t find his dirty clothes anywhere. As he looked around for it, he notice that D.O has been reading a book in the living room.

 

“D.O.” Kai called out for him.

 

“Yes?” D.O looked up from his book. “Oh, you’re done?” D.O closed his book.

 

“Yeah. By the way, did you see my clothes? I couldn’t find them anywhere.” Kai looked around in his confusion.

 

“Oh, your clothes? They’re in the laundry downstairs.”

 

“What? Then what am I going to wear for tomorrow?” Kai starts to panic.

 

“Chill out. I’ve asked the staff to clean your clothes and make it ready to wear by tomorrow morning.”

 

“I see. Thanks.” Kai huffed a sigh in his relief.

 

“I’ve taken out a blanket for you, in case you got cold at night. The couch in the living room had been transformed into a single bed, so I think you’ll be comfortable enough to doze off.” D.O pointed at the couch. “Alright then, good night.” D.O stands up from his armchair and went to his bedroom.

 

“D.O…” Kai called out for D.O.

 

“Yes?” D.O slightly turn his head to see Kai from his shoulder.

 

“Good night to you too. Thanks for having me staying over at your place.” Kai said sheepishly.

 

“No problem. Night, Kai.” D.O enters his bedroom and close the door behind him.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

As Kai makes himself comfortable enough to sleep, a voice whispers in his ears.

 

(Well… Well… Well… looks like the Grumpy Kai hits the jackpot today…)

 

“Cut it out, JB.” Kai said in his annoying tone of voice.

 

(Who would have thought that Grumpy Kai finally able to sleep at D.O’s place?)

 

“Shut up, JB. I mean it.” Kai said in a low voice. “Go play with Byeol or your other spirit friends. I’m tired. I have to get some sleep for tomorrow.”

 

(Geez. Grumpy Kai is no fun today. Hmph. Fine, I’d rather play with Byeol than with you!)

 

With that statement, JB vanished from the apartment and Kai heaves a deep sigh in relief. Afterwards, it didn’t take too long for Kai to doze off to the dreamland and having the sweetest dreams in his entire life.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The next morning Kai woke up with the sound of metal hitting each other. He opens his eyes and for a few seconds, he got confused when he sees unfamiliar surroundings. When he finally remembers that he’s staying over at D.O’s apartment, he smile to himself, sensing a sweet tingling sensasion in his heart.

 

Kai sits up and looked around to find the source of the noise, then he notice D.O was cooking in the kitchen. Kai gets up, folded his blanket as tidy as he could, and went to the kitchen.

 

“Morning.” Kai greets.

 

“Oh, you’re awake.” D.O look at Kai from his shoulder. “The laundry staff had delivered your clothes when you’re still asleep. Go take shower, breakfast would be ready by then.”

 

(Not only did I’m able to stay over at D.O’s apartment, but I also got the chance to eat his cooking for dinner and breakfast? Thank you so much, God!)

 

Kai mumbles quietly in his excitement.

 

“I’ll take the shower then.” Kai hastily grabs his clothes and run to the bathroom to take a shower. It must be the fastest shower that he ever had, since he barely managed to calm his excitement to have D.O’s cooking as his breakfast.

 

After breakfast, both of them went to Saewookang factory to meet with Jung Ho Keun.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Saewookang’s Conference Room

 

“Oh, Mr. Officers. Please sit down! Is everything okay?” Jung Ho Keun greets D.O and Kai.

 

“We’re sorry for coming to your office so early in the morning. We have some questions that we would like to ask you.” D.O stated politely.

 

“Is that so? What would that be?” Jung Ho Keun asked.

 

“Yesterday, you said that you had no connection with Cho Su Hun, right?” D.O asked.

 

“Yes. That’s right.”

 

“Then, wheat about his father? Do you know him?” D.O asked again.

 

“No. I don’t recall that I’ve ever known someone with the name of Cho Jae Hyun.” Jung Ho Keun shake his head.

 

“Do you remember the biggest food company that you’re dealing business with, Mr. Jung?”

 

“I don’t remember anything that happen from that long ago.

 

“It’s exactly 19 years ago, when your company Saewookang was in financial problem. In that same year, you also received a loan from Lotte Food Industrial Company, to help you get back on your feet. I’m sure that you would have remember which companies that you did business with, Mr. Jung.” Kai stated as he hands over a piece of paper with a list of companies on it, to Jung Ho Keun.

 

“Hm… was it all hapenned in that same year?” Jung Ho Keun forrowed his brows together.

 

“The company were called Tongyang Confectionary.” D.O said as he pointed at a certain line on the paper. “Do you remember them?”

 

“I don’t remember.” Jung Ho Keun shakes his head.

 

“Oh, come on. It’s a company that you used to do business with!” Kai exclaims.

 

“Well, my memory isn’t as good as it used to be.” Jung Ho Keun shrugged.

 

“Then, let’s change the question. On September 30th, 2010, do you remember where you were around 11 pm?” D.O asked.

 

“Look, officer. There’s no way that I would remember something from that long time ago!” Jung Ho Keun glared at D.O.

 

D.O ignore Jung Ho Keun’s glare, instead he asked another question. “It’s the day when Cho Jae Hyun passed away. Where were you at that time?”

 

“I said, I don’t remember! And I also didn’t know that CEO Cho Jae Hyun had died.” Jung Ho Keun stated firmly.

 

“Huh? CEO Cho Jae Hyun? How did you know that Cho Jae Hyun was a CEO? Cho Jae Hyun was the CEO of Tongyang Confectionary. Did you know that?” D.O smirks at Jung Ho Keun.

 

Realizing his mistake, Jung Ho Keun didn’t say anything in response. Instead he take out his cigarette and starts to lit it up.

 

“Of course you would know him. He was the CEO of a company that you did business with, right?” D.O raised one of his brows at Jung Ho Keun. “Now, let me ask you one more time. Where were you on the night when CEO Cho Jae Hyun died, at 11 pm?”

 

Jung Ho Keun still didn’t say anything in response, he just keeps on smoking.

 

D.O keeps on pressing Jung Ho Keun. “At the night of the incident, you met up with Cho Jae Hyun, didn’t you?”

 

“No. I didn’t.” Jung Ho Keun finally responded.

 

“On the rooftop where Cho Jae Hyun fell from, there was a leftover birthday cake. Even though Cho Jae Hyun didn’t smoke, the police found a leftover cigarette.” D.O glared at Jung Ho Keun.

 

“That has nothing to do with me.” Jung Ho Keun shrugged.

 

“Moreover, on the leftover cigarette, the police detected the traces of your saliva.” D.O added.

 

“Well, it’s not like they knew when is the exact time that I had that smoke. It won’t count as evidence against me.” Jung Ho Keun smirks.

 

“Your company was in financial difficulties and you had asked for a loan from Cho Jae Hyun, but he refused. Because of that, you held a grudge against him. When you had the chance to talk with him at his office, you pushed him off the roof. We also heard that there were eye-witnesses’ reports of you, from the detective who was in charge of the case at that time. It stated that you were with Cho Jae Hyun, before he died.” D.O stated.

 

“No. I didn’t. Look, how many time do I need to say this? Please leave.”

 

“Are you still trying to play dumb?” D.O asked.

 

“I have to go now. I have work to do.” Jung Ho Keun stands up from his chair and head to the door.

 

“Mr. 5.” D.O’s words made Jung Ho Keun freeze on his steps and swirl around to face D.O.

 

D.O smirks to Jung Ho Keun before saying, “You’re Mr. 5, aren’t you?”

 

D.O stands up from his chair and take out Cho Jae Hyun’s journal from his pocket. “In one of Cho Jae Hyun’s journal, he wrote it down.” D.O circle the conference table to approach Jung Ho Keun. “Here. Could you please take a look at this note in the journal? This number here, 5. This is your nickname, right?”

 

“His nickname is 5?” Kai asked in surprise.

 

“Yes. Mr. 5.” D.O confirms. “I've found out that there are several numbers written in this journal, varies from 1-12. Coincidentally, those numbers represents the 12 companies which had been dealing business with Tongyang Confectionary in the past. Each of the company owners happens to have different zodiac sign, represents by the number of 1-12, in accordance to its order. Your zodiac sign is Dragon and Dragon’s order in the zodiac sign is number 5.” D.O smirks at Jung Ho Keun triumphantly.

 

Jung Ho Keun smirks back at D.O and said, “And if I did meet him?”

 

“Then I’ll officially re-open the case.” D.O stated firmly.

 

“However, unfortunately, I was not at the location where the incident happens.” Jung Ho Keun smirks.

 

“Look, Mr. Jung. You can continue to play dumb for as long as you want, but a thorough investigation will reveal the truth. You’d better be prepared for it.” Kai said his statement as he glare at Jung Ho Keun.

 

“Hmph. No matter how much you want to re-open this case, there would be no further investigation.” Jung Ho Keun stated with full confidence.

 

“What do you mean by that?” Kai asked.

 

“You might be able to re-open the case and investigate it, but in the end, no one will be able to arrest me.” Jung Ho Keun sneers at D.O and Kai, then left the conference room.

 

Being left behind by Jung Ho Keun, there’s nothing else that they could do, other than went back to the car.

 

“At any rate, I think we still have to re-open the case and investigate it.” Kai said furiously when they head to the parking lot.

 

D.O didn’t say aything in his response, instead he pondered about what makes Jung Ho Keun feels so confident that no one was able to arrest him.

 

(On the same day, there was a murder case in Busan, where the daughter of a wealthy family had been murdered…)

 

“No way. Could it be…?” D.O looked at Kai with shocked expression, then he rush to the car, while saying, “Let’s go Kai. We have to go to the Presecutor’s office, NOW!”

 

Kai startled for a moment, but he reacts quickly enough to catch up with D.O and head to the car.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At the Prosecutor’s office..

 

“Good morning, Mr. Jung Dong Gyu.” D.O greets.

 

“Good morning. May I help you with something?” Jung Dong Gyu asked.

 

“We’re sorry to bother you, Mr. Jung.” Kai apologized.

 

“It’s fine. But you are… ?

 

“Ah, we’re from Violent Crimes Department of Seoul Police Headquarters.” Kai introduce himself and D.O, while he’s showing his badge.

 

“Oh, Mr. officer. How may I help you?” Jung Dong Gyu repeats his question.

 

“Do you remember about a case, which happened 19 years ago, where the daughter of a wealthy family was murdered in Busan? I’ve heard that the defendant’s family have been trying to get a retrial for the case, for several years now. In this case, the suspect was arrested only after one eye-witness account. The suspect had constantly denied everything, but he was sentenced with lifetime imprisonment. The eye witness account that secured the suspect’s arrest was made by Jung Ho Keun. Currently he is the victim in our current case with Cho Su Hun, the son of Cho Jae Hyun who died 19 years ago. Don’t you think it’s strange? At the time that Jung Ho Keun had said that he had spotted the suspect for Itaewon murder case, he should have actually been in a meeting with Cho Jae Hyun.” D.O stated.

 

“Moreover, the suspicions that Jung Ho Keun had murdered Cho Jae Hyun actually appeared during the investigation. But, despite all of that, they were pressured to put a stop to all of the investigation on Cho Jae Hyun’s case.” Kai added.

 

“Why? Why did they do that? I would like an explanation for Cho Jae Hyun’s case. As the prosecutor who was in charge of the Itaewon case at that time, I want an explanation from you, Mr. Jung Dong Gyu. Please enlightened us.” D.O stated firmly.

 

***********************************************************************