Off The Wall

Nephalem

After D.O left the precinct, Kai and Baek stay for a little while longer and decides to have a drink together in a nearby barbeque restaurant.

 

“Say, Baek. How long did you know Park Chan Yeol?” Kai asked as he twisted the meat on the grill.

 

“Hm, let’s see… since forever?” Baek said as he chews on some meat. “We’ve been friends since we’re in kindergarten. Moreover, our fathers are detectives and they used to work together in Gangnam District.”

 

“Then, when did you realize that you had a feeling for him?” Kai asks again.

 

“I don’t know. Maybe because he’s a crybaby when he’s a kid, and he used to get bullied by some kids in the neighborhood, so I felt like I should protect him and look after him.” Baek Hyun shrugs.

 

“I can’t imagine that he’s a crybaby. I mean, look at him. He’s so freaking tall. I would never think that he was once get bullied.” Kai stated.

 

“It’s true. Back then he’s just a small kid, a lot smaller than me.” Baek replied. “However, during our junior high school, it feels like he ate some kind of growth booster, because the last thing I knew, he’s way taller than me.” Baek sighed.

 

“Why don’t you confess to him?” Kai asked.

 

“Easier to be said than done.” Baek mumbles. “As I said earlier, when I’m in front of him, words seems to get stuck at the back of my throat.”

 

“I know how it feels.” Kai also sighed.

 

“What’s the matter, Kai?” Baek stared at Kai curiously. “Did you fall for someone recently?”

 

“Sigh. Maybe. I don’t know. I’m not really sure. I mean, I’m certain of my feelings, but I’m not certain of his feeling to me.” Kai heaves a deep sigh.

 

“His feeling?” Baek asks to reconfirm. “So, it’s a man, huh?” Baek teases Kai.

 

“Yeah.” Kai said as he stuffed some meat into his mouth and chewed on it.

 

“Let me guess, D.O?” Baek smirks widely at Kai.

 

Kai startled and choked on his meat. As he gasps for air, Baek hastily offers him a glass of soju.

 

“Hey, take it easy, dude. I don’t want to have you on my table yet.” Baek teased as he patted on Kai’s back.

 

“...”

 

Kai heaves a deep sigh as he clears his throat with some soju.

 

“So, I’m guessing I was right, huh?” Baek smirks.

 

“Wh-What… How… how did you know?” Kai asks.

 

“Oh, please. Who else could it be?” Baek rolled his eyes at Kai. “You spend most of your time with D.O as his partner. It’s so obvious.”

 

“Please, don’t tell D.O about it. I’m not mentally prepared to be hated by him.” Kai pleads.

 

“What makes you think that D.O would hate you?” Baek asks.

 

“I don’t know. Maybe he would. Sometimes, he’s kind to me, but in some other time, he’s so cold to me. I’m not really sure about his feeling to me.” Kai sigh.

 

“Hm, true. After all, he’s well known as The Frost in high school.” Baek nods in his agreement.

 

“So, you know him since high school then?” Kai asks.

 

“Who? D.O?” Baek asks.

 

Kai nods his head.

 

“Yeah. We’re going to the same high school, me, Chan Yeol and D.O.” Baek stated.

 

“How was he back then?”

 

“As you can see now.” Baek pondered for a while and added, “Wait a minute, I think he’s a lot worse back then.”

 

“What do you mean he’s a lot worse?” Kai asks.

 

“You’re saying that sometimes he’s giving you a cold shoulder, right?”

 

Kai nods.

 

“Well, back then, he always did it. Most of the time. That’s why, he’s called The Frost.” Baek explains.

 

“But, he’s friends with you and Chan Yeol.” Kai retorts.

 

“We’re exceptional. Our fathers used to work together in the same precinct. Several years ago, his father passed away. Afterward, my father and Chan Yeol’s were transferred to another town, hence our family move along with them.” Baek explains. “Coincidentally, we’ve met again in the police academy.”

 

“Then… Kim Bum is one of your high school friends too?”

 

“Ah, right. Kim Bum.” Baek Hyun ponders. “Yeah, he’s one of our high school friends.”

 

“How did they become close friends?” Kai asked.

 

“Hm, I’m not really sure. If I remember it correctly, they’ve been neighbors since childhood.” Baek recalls.

 

“Huh? Since childhood? That long?” Kai asks to reconfirm.

 

“Yeah. They’ve been friends since forever. Just like me and Chan Yeol.” Baek nods.

 

“Sigh. It must be nice to be friends with D.O for that long.” Kai heaves a deep sigh.

 

“Hey, just because we know him for a bit longer, it doesn’t mean that we fully understand him.” Baek stated to comforts Kai.

 

“But still…” Kai trails off.

 

“Oh, come on, Kai.” Baek tries to comfort Kai. “You’ve been his partner for more than a month. As I see it, that’s quite an accomplishment.”

 

“I don’t think it’s something to be proud of.” Kai lowers his head.

 

“Trust me. You’re doing just fine.” Baek patted Kai’s back. “It’s getting late now, let’s go home. Tonight is my treat.” Baek stands up and pays for their dinner.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Baek and Kai heads back to the precinct on foot, however, all of a sudden, Baek halts his steps.

 

“What’s wrong, Baek? Feeling dizzy?” Kai asked out of concern.

 

“No.” Baek shakes his head lightly. “Look, Kai, don’t you think that man kinda look a bit strange?” Baek stated as he points in one direction.

 

“Huh? Who are you talking about?” Kai confused.

 

“There. About 100 m from us. He’s staggering in his steps. As if he’s in some kind of a trance.” Baek pointed straight ahead of them.

 

“Hm, I think you’re right.” Kai nods in his agreement. “Let’s go check on him.”

 

As they approach the man, they noticed that the man’s clothes covered in lots of blood.

 

“What the—” Kai shrieks and hastily approached the man. “Hey, man, are you okay? Did you injure yourself? Do you want me to call an ambulance for you?” Kai asked in one breath.

 

“No. I’m… I’m fine.” The man looked at Kai in a daze.

 

“But, there’s a lot of blood on your clothes.” Kai stated the obvious fact.

 

“I… I… I think I killed someone.” The man falls on his knees and trembling hard.

 

“You… WHAT?” Kai asked in shock.

 

“He said that he had killed someone.” Baek repeats that man’s words for Kai to reconfirm and then asked, “Sir, could you please tell me, where did it happen?” Baek asked calmly.

 

“Over there… near the Incheon Port.”

 

“Got it.” Baek stated and turns to Kai. “Kai, please inform D.O and take him to the hospital to treat the cut on his face. I’ll call the chief and my team and head straight to the crime scene.”

 

“Okay. Be careful, Baek.” Kai nods and takes the man to a nearby hospital.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

While the man was being treated, Kai calls D.O. It didn’t take a long time for his calls to be picked up.

 

“What’s up, Kai?” D.O answers from the other side of the lines.

 

“D.O, sorry to bother you at this late hour. But, I think you’ve got to hear this.” Kai said.

 

“What is it?” D.O asked.

 

“We got a murder case.” Kai said in brief.

 

“I’m on my way.” D.O said before he hangs up.

 

After the phone call, the suspect had finished his treatment, so Kai went back to the precinct with him.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A few minutes later, Kai arrives at the precinct and decides to lock the suspect in the cell, while he waits for D.O’s arrival.. As he walks to his desk, D.O finally arrived at the precinct.

 

“D.O? That’s fast.” Kai greets.

 

“Brief me.” D.O said in brief as they head towards the Forensic Department together.

 

“Baek and I bumped into a man who’s covered in blood and he claims that he had killed someone.” Kai answers.

 

D.O nods as his response and opens a door with “Laboratory” written on it.

 

“Baek, what do we have here?” D.O asked when everyone entered.

 

“Kim Dong Nim. Male. 37 years old. He was found dead in Incheon Port, with a knife stabbed on his stomach. There are multiple stab wounds centered around his abdomen, in a total of 5 stabs. There is a slight difference in the depth of the wounds. Two stabs are 3 cm, while the other three are 5 cm.” Baek stated his examination.

 

“Time of death?” D.O asked.

 

“1 am. A few minutes earlier before I arrived at the crime scene.” Baek replied.

 

“Fingerprints?” D.O asked again.

 

“Only his and our suspect’s.”

 

“Thanks, Baek.” D.O said and left the laboratory.

 

“Just doing my job.” Baek shrugged as he continues to write on the autopsy reports.

 

“Let’s go, Kai. Time to meet our suspect.” D.O ordered.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A short while later, both Kai and D.O are inside the interrogation room, where the suspect already seated.

 

“Let’s start with your personal information, shall we?” Kai starts the interrogation. “What’s your name?”

 

“My name is Cha Myeong Wook. I’m 36 years old. I worked as an accountant in a stock exchange company.”

 

“Okay, so, Mr. Cha, could you please tell us about what happened?” Kai asked.

 

“I’ve attacked someone. I thought that I was going to get stabbed by him. Then, as we were struggling, I stabbed him instead, and killed him.”

 

“How did it happen?” Kai asked.

 

“I happened to be drinking at a place that I visited every once in a while. Then, this guy started causing a racket and everyone around was getting annoyed by him.” Cha Myeong Wook stated.

 

“How loud was he speaking?” D.O asked.

 

“He’s speaking pretty loud.”

 

“Could you tell me if it was just the people in the restaurant who could hear him, or if the people outside the restaurant could hear him too?” D.O asked.

 

“It was just the people in the restaurant. The restaurant’s owner tried to tell him to be quiet, but he wouldn’t listen. He took out an envelope filled with lots of cash from his pocket and sway it to the owner. Then he said, since he was the one who’s paying, then the owner shouldn’t complain.”

 

“Okay… go on.” Kai urges the suspect to continue.

 

“I guess the other guests got fed up with him and a lot of them started to leave the restaurant. Afterward, he started harassing one of the female staff, and I just couldn’t take it anymore.”

 

“Then, what happened afterward?” Kai asked.

 

“Then, he dragged me outside the restaurant. I got scared. When I said that we should talk about it, he became really pissed off and pulled a knife from his back pocket.”

 

Kai nods as he scribbles on his notebook.

 

“Then, we started struggling and I ended up stabbing him.” Cha Myeong Wook looked down while fiddling with his fingers. “I had no intention of killing him, officer. But if I hadn’t killed him, he might have killed me instead. This is count as self-defense, right?” Cha Myeong Wook said softly.

 

“Did you check on his condition to find out that he’s dead?” Kai asked.

 

“No. I didn’t. But he did die, right?”

 

“Unfortunately, yes. He died by the time our team arrives at the crime scene.” Kai said regretfully.

 

“If you hadn’t checked on him, then why did you think that he had died?” Suddenly D.O popped out the question.

 

“I was caught up in my anger and I stabbed him quite deeply.” Cha Myeong Wook answers.

 

“You were caught up in anger? Didn’t you said that you got scared?” D.O furrows his brows together.

 

“I was scared, but I was also angry.”

 

“How many times did you stab him?” D.O asked.

 

“Twice.” Cha Myeong Wook stated firmly.

 

“Twice?” D.O furrows his brows together. “How did you stab him? Was it a stab from above or from below?” D.O asked.

 

“I stabbed him from below.”

 

“I see.” D.O nods and asked, “I see that you also received injuries to your face, shoulders and arms from him as well?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Can you remove your bandages? I would like to see where and how you were cut.” D.O asked.

 

Hearing that question, Kai nudge D.O and whispered softly, “Hey, what are you doing? We don’t need to know where and how he got injured, right?”

 

“Excuse us.” D.O said to Cha Myeong Wook and turned to Kai. “Kai, could we talk outside for a bit, please?” D.O said coldly.

 

As soon as they were outside the interrogation room, Kai asked in his confusion. “Why do you need to know where he got injured?”

 

“Because… even if he says that it was self-defense, the details leading to the assault. The conditions of the assault and the condition of the other person are very important. Usually, there are a lot of discrepancies found between claims by the person himself and what is reported by the witnesses.” D.O explains firmly.

 

“I see.” Kai nods in understanding.

 

“Now, let’s get back inside.” D.O said to Kai.

 

When they get back inside, D.O repeats his request again. “Now, could you please remove your bandages and show us your injuries?”

 

Cha Myeong Wook did as he was requested and D.O takes a mental note of it.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Yo, D.O. I’ve got copies of all the evidence that had been collected so far.” Se Jong greets them when he sees them walks out of the interrogation room and hand over a pile of folders.

 

“Thanks, Se Jong.” D.O slightly nods to Se Jong and puts all of the documents on his desk.

 

“Whoa, that’s quite a lot.” Kai whistle in awe.

 

“Well, the sooner we get over the details, the better, right?” D.O shrugs as he examine several pictures from the autopsy reports.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At 7 am, everyone gathered in the conference room for case briefing.

 

“As everyone can see in the case report, there had been a murder last night in Incheon Port. Our suspect is Cha Myeong Wook, 36 years old. He was found by Baek and Kai, with his clothes soaked in blood. He stated that he had killed the victim, Kim Dong Nim, 36 years old, in self-defense. The victim had been stabbed five times, with two stabs that differ in its depths. Even though the autopsy report stated that there are five stabs that lead to the victim’s death, Cha Myeong Wook claims that he only stabbed the victim twice. Two stabs were 5 cm depth, while the other three stabs were 3 cm depth. So, what do you guys thinks about it?” D.O asked everyone in the room.

 

“Hm, why did the number of stabs didn’t match?” Jae Young asked. “Could it be that our suspect lied?”

 

“I don’t think our suspect lied.” D.O stated firmly.

 

“How did you know that?” Min Kyu asked curiously.

 

“I just knew.” D.O said calmly.

 

“Then… maybe he got too emotional and his memories became fuzzy?” Se Jong suggests.

 

“Two stabs and five stabs is a pretty big difference. Moreover, the stab wounds were mostly centered around the stomatch, and it even pierced through the victim’s back. It’s impossible to be self-defense.” D.O stated.

 

“If Mr. Cha really stabbed the victim five times, then it could only means that he had the strong intention to kill the victim, right?” Jae Young gives his opinion.

 

“According to our interrogation earlier, Mr. Cha claims that it was his first time meeting with Kim Dong Nim. Why would he have any strong intention to kill the victim?” Kai asked.

 

“Furthermore, Kim Dong Nim was supposed to have an envelope filled with cash. However, it’s nowhere to be found during the victim’s body search.” D.O added.

 

“But the envelope wasn’t found in Cha Myeong Wook’s possession either, right?” Se Jong asked to confirm.

 

“Yes.” D.O nods.

 

“Then, where’s the envelope?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“That’s what we have to find out.” Jae Young said firmly. “At any rate, we have to find more information about this incident.”

 

Jae Young turned to D.O and Kai.

 

“D.O, Kai, you guys ask the restaurant owner about the chronological of the incident. What initiate it and how did it happen.”

 

“Min Kyu, ask around the crime scene for witnesses.” Jae Young ordered.

 

Then Jae Young turned to Se Jong. “Se Jong, check our database and find all pieces of information of Cha Myeong Wook and Kim Dong Nim. Let me know if you guys find anything.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

D.O and Kai went to the restaurant, where the fight initially occurred to ask a few questions to the owner.

 

“Excuse me, can I see the owner, please?” Kai asked a waitress as he shows his badge to her.

 

“Oh, Mr. Officer, please take a seat. I’ll ask the owner to come out in a moment.” The waitress said and went inside the restaurant.

 

A few seconds later, the restaurant owner, Kim Sang Du come out from the kitchen.

 

“Morning officers, I’m Kim Sang Du. I’m the owner of this restaurant. How may I help you?” Kim Sang Du greets D.O and Kai.

 

“Ah, Mr. Kim. We’re sorry to bother you, but we need to ask a few questions about last night.” Kai greets him.

 

“Of course. It will be my pleasure to help you, officers. What do you want to know?” Kim Sang Du asked.

 

“According to our investigation, before Kim Dong Nim was killed, he and the suspect met here. Could you please tell us about how was his behavior last night, before the incident?” Kai asked.

 

“Well, his behavior was pretty bad and he caused quite a few problems for us. He would pick fights with our customers a lot. And last night, when I warned him to stop bothering our customers, he wouldn’t listen. He kept showing off an envelope that he had, which was filled with cash. He’s making a lot of noise and saying, “I’m the one who’s paying you, so stop complaining!” Kim Sang Du stated.

 

“Who initiates to go outside?” Kai asked.

 

“It was Kim Dong Nim.” Kim Sang Du said firmly.

 

“Did you go after them?” D.O asked.

 

“Well, I was a bit worried and went to look for them afterward. But I couldn’t find them.”

 

“Where did you look for them?” D.O asked.

 

“Around the gas station and the convenient store.”

 

“Okay. Thank you for your cooperation. We’ll come again if we need more information from you.” D.O slightly bows his head and left the restaurant with Kai.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Inside the car, D.O analyzes all of the information quietly in his mind.

 

(Cha Myeong Wook said that he stabbed the victim twice, yet there are 5 stab wounds found on the victim. Two stabs and five stabs is a pretty big difference. Moreover, the stab wounds were mostly centered around the abdomen and even pierced through the victim’s back. It can’t be ruled out as self-defense.)

 

(Furthermore, the victim was supposed to have an envelope filled with cash on him, yet it wasn’t found in the victim’s possession during body search. Where is the envelope? It’s not a robbery, since the envelope also wasn’t found in Cha Myeong Wook’s possession either.)

 

“D.O!” Kai calls out for him.

 

“Hm?” D.O looked up and slightly tilt his head to Kai.

 

“Where are we going to now?” Kai asked.

 

“For now, let’s head back to HQ, maybe the others find something.” D.O said.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“D.O, Kai!” Min Kyu greets them as they arrive at the precinct.

 

“Did you find anything?” D.O asked.

 

“So far, nothing. I’ve asked around the neighborhood along the way to the port, but no one seems to see or hear anything. Hence, I’m planing to go to the port area. Maybe I’ll find something.” Min Kyu report his findings. “What about you guys? Any luck?”

 

“Hm, nothing huh?” D.O ponders for a while.

 

Almost at same time, Se Jong gasp and called out for D.O. from his desk. “Hey, D.O. Check this out!”

 

All three of them went to Se Jong’s desk.

 

“Did you find anything?” Kai asked.

 

“Maybe. I’m not too sure about it. But it seems that our victim was involved in a ual assault case in the past. It happens during his high school days, in his hometown, Baedun-ri.” Se Jong stated. “And guess what, it’s also happened to be our suspect’s hometown. What a coincidence, huh?” Se Jong smirks.

 

“That’s a bit too much of a coincidence if you ask me.” Kai pondered.

 

“Who’s the victim?” D.O asked.

 

“Jung Young Ha. She went to Goseong High School, along with Kim Dong Nim.”

 

“Okay, you guys go to the school and ask the teachers about the incident and find any pieces of information about Kim Dong Nim and Jung Young Ha. ” D.O ordered Min Kyu and Se Jong.

 

“Kai and I would go to the girl’s house. We might finally reveals the connection between Cha Myeong Wook and Kim Dong Nim.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Goseong High School

 

“Kim Dong Nim? Yes, I remember him. He’s a graduate from here.” The principal confirms.

 

“Could you please tell us about him? How’s his behaviour while he’s a student? How’s his interaction with other students? And when did the ual assault occurred?” Se Jong asked.

 

“Well, he was separated from his parents and started coming to school here. Then, he started hanging around with some bad guys. After graduation, an incident happened.” The principal said.

 

“You mean, the ual assault?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“Yes.”

 

“So, did he went into Juvenile Detention Centre?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“No. The incident was settled out of court and he was just put on probation. Afterward, he just continuing his life as normal, as if nothing had happened before.” The principal stated.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Meanwhile, at Seoul Police Station…

 

“Chief, someone asked to see you.” Se Jong told Jae Young.

 

“Who is it?” Jae Young asked.

 

“Someone with the name of Kim Tae Ho. I think he’s the owner of DK Group. The victim of our case was his grandson.”

 

“What? Really?” Jae Young asked to reconfirm.

 

“Hu um. He’s quite famous, being a succesful businessman.” Se Jong nods.

 

“Where is he now?”

 

“He’s waiting for you in our conference room, chief.” Se Jong stated.

 

“Thanks.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Seoul Police’s Conference Room…

 

“You’re asking to see me?” Jae Young greets his guest.

 

“Ah, yes, Mr. Jung, right?” An old man stands from his seats and greets Jae Young. “I’m Kim Tae Ho from DK Group.”

 

“Pleased to meet you, sir. Just call me Jae Young. How may I help you?” Jae Young asked.

 

“I’ve heard that you’re in charge of investigating my grandson’s death, am I right?” Kim Tae Ho asked.

 

“Yes, sir. We did.”

 

“How far did the investigation going?” Kim Tae Ho asked.

 

“I’m sorry, sir. But it’s confidential. Currently we’re looking for evidence and witnesses.” Jae Young answers.

 

“Mr. Jung, what I‘m about to say to you, might sound absurd, but please try to wrap up this case as soon as possible.” Kim Tae Ho request.

 

“Huh? Even though there’s a possibility that your grandson was murdered? Why?” Jae Young asked.

 

“Please, just think of it as a request from me.”

 

“But sir, he’s your grandson. Don’t you want to have some justice for his death?” Jae Young asked curiously.

 

“I just don’t want this incident being dragged on for too long. I don’t want to see the mass media swarming over my residence and my company.” Kim Tae Ho grits his teeth. “Look, I don’t care how it’s done, just wrap it up as soon as possible.” Kim Tae Ho said firmly.

 

“Even if this case is deemed as an act of self-defense? Are you really okay about it?” Jae Young asked to confirms.

 

“That’s fine with me.” Kim Tae Ho said briefly.

 

“But…”

 

“If the victim’s family wants the case to be closed, I believe it’s not against the law, right?” Kim Tae Ho asked stubbornly.

 

“Yes… but…” Jae Young trails off hesitantly.

 

“Whether it’s selft-defense or murder or whatever it is, just wrap it up.” Kim Tae Ho said firmly and stubbornly.

 

“I understand.” Jae Young finally said.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After Kim Tae Ho left the precinct, Jae Young mumbles to himself while he’s dialing a certain number on his phone, “Who the hell did he think he is? Ordering police to do whatever he wants?”

 

“Where are you?” Jae Young said as soon as his call answered.

 

“Baedun-ri.” D.O answers in brief.

 

“Huh? What the hell are you doing there?”

 

“Investigating. Turns out our victim was involved in a ual assault during his high school years.” D.O explains.

 

“Moreover, our suspect also from Baedun-ri. He was living here, up until two years ago. Right now, I’m going to visit the home of the victim of the ual assault case.” D.O added.

 

“This case is getting more complicated than it seems.” Jae Young ponders. “I’ve just got a visit from Kim Tae Ho, the owner of DK Group. He’s the grandfather of our victim.”

 

“What did he want?” D.O asked.

 

“He wants us to wrap this case as soon as possible.” Jae Young scoffed.

 

“Perhaps, he didn’t want his grandson’s past to be revealed?” D.O gives his opinion.

 

“It’s possible. Anyway, just keep going, but do it fast. I’ll take full responsibility for it.”

 

“Got it, Chief.” D.O said before ending the phone call.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Baedun-ri, Jung Young Ha’s Residence…

 

“I know this is a bit sudden, but can I ask you a few questions about your daughter’s case?” D.O asked.

 

“Hey, D.O. Don’t be so straight-forward.” Kai whispers.

 

“It’s true that there was an incident.” Park Soo Mi, Jung Young Ha’s mother stated.

 

“And it was settled outside of court?” D.O asked again.

 

“Yes. If we went to court, things would have dragged out and we’d never been able to forget about what had happened, right?” Park Soo Mi sighs and continues, “At that time, she was also about to get married. She didn’t want to go to court. Afterward, the other person’s lawyer came to talk to us and we accepted his offer.”

 

“Are you talking about money-wise?” Kai asked.

 

“Yes. But it was a mistake. Right after the negotiations were settled, my daughter committed suicide.” Park Soo Mi heaves another deep sigh.

 

“We’re sorry for your loss, mam.” Kai said sympathetically.

 

“I saw the news saying that he’s dead, is that true?” Park Soo Mi asked.

 

“Yes, he’s dead.” Kai confirms.

 

“You guys should just go home! It’s people like you who killed my sister!” Suddenly a teenage girl yelling at D.O and Kai.

 

“Su In!” Park Soo Mi scolds her youngest daughter.

 

“Just tell them the truth, mom! My sister was . The police officers even took pictures of it! Afterward, a lawyer showed up. He said that if we went to the court, he’d realease my sister’s pictures to the public. He also said that if we didn’t want that to happen, we should settle everything outside of court instead.” Jung Su In said furiously.

 

“What? No way…” Kai couldn’t believe what he’d just heard.

 

“I’ll never trust someone like that ever again! You can’t count on the police or lawyers!” Jung Su In added furiously.

 

“The police?” Kai asked confusedly. “Why?”

 

“My sister told the police that there are two men who had assaulted her.”

 

“Two men?” D.O asks to reconfirm.

 

“Yes. Two men! But they didn’t believe her!” Jung Su In stated furiously.

 

“We’re sorry for bringing up such terrible memories. Thank you very much for your cooperation.” Kai slightly bows his head to Park Soo Mi and Jung Su In.

 

“Hold on, Kai. Can I ask you one more question?” D.O said as he takes out a picture from one of his pockets. “Do you know this man?”

 

“Myeong Wook!” Park Soo Mi gasps.

 

“Do you know him? Is he an acquaintance?” D.O asked.

 

“Of course I know him. He was my daughter’s fiancee.” Park Soo Mi stated.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Back to Seoul Police Station…

 

“We found something, chief.” D.O stated as he enters the chief’s office.

 

“What is it?” Jae Young asked.

 

“Our suspect was Jung Young Ha’s fiancee.” Kai said.

 

“And who’s this Jung Young Ha?” Jae Young asked in his confusion.

 

“Ah, right. You haven’t known about it. As you had known, Kim Dong Nim was involved in a ual assault case during his high school years, right? The victim’s name was Jung Young Ha.” Kai explains.

 

“Which means, Cha Myeong Wook probably had a grudge against Kim Dong Nim. Furthermore, regardless of the situation, we could conclude that he had a strong intention to commit a murder.” Jae Young concludes.

 

“In order to get his revenge, Cha Myeong Wook could have deliberately tried to be attacked by Kim Dong Nim.” D.O. added.

 

“So, are you saying that he was lying when he said that it was self-defense?” Jae Young asked.

 

“It’s possible.” Kai ponders for a while. “Furthermore, apparently, there was another person who’s involved in the ual assault, other than Kim Dong Nim.” Kai added.

 

“The victim had reported it herself. However, the police did nothing about it. On top of that, pictures that were taken during the ual assault had been used to threaten the victim’s family by his lawyer, saying that all of those pictures would be revealed to the public unless the victim’s family settle the incident outside of court.” D.O stated.

 

“I think we should ask Cha Myeong Wook about all of these informations.” Kai suggests.

 

“Wait, Kai. You can’t just go and asked him based on your assumptions when you have no concrete evidence.” Jae Young stopped Kai from leaving.

 

“But…” Kai trailed off.

 

“I don’t think that the girl who committed suicide would have lied. Even though it stated that the police in the area did quite a thorough investigation of the case, why did they decide that Kim Dong Nim was the only perpetrator?” D.O wondered.

 

“Then, could it be that they were put under an incredible amount of pressure to cover things up?” Kai assumes.

 

As Kai saying those statement, D.O exchange looks with Jae Young. Both of them realized that the same method had just happened to Jae Young, when Kim Tae Ho visits him earlier.

 

“Our current case is a lot more complicated than I thought. It seems that the roots had just gone a lot deeper.” Jae Young pondered and pick up his desk phone.

 

“Se Jong, my office. Now.” Jae Young ordered.

 

Seconds later, Se Jong popped up his head at the door. “You’re calling, chief?”

 

“I want you to check the video footages of every single CCTV from the restaurant to the crime scene. Maybe we could find something.” Jae Young ordered.

 

“I’m on it, chief.” Se Jong nods and went back to his desk.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Meanwhile, Min Kyu had been asking around Incheon Port for witnesses. As predicted, no one seems to see or heard anything, since the incident happened late at night. However, as the nightfall, Min Kyu finally finds a lead.

 

Around 9 pm, Min Kyu sees several homeless men starts to prepare their beds using cardboard and newspaper while having a chit chat among themselves.

 

Trying his luck, Min Kyu approaches them, and asks them whether they see or hear anything on the night of the incident.

 

“Excuse me, sir. Did you see or hear anything last night in this area?” Min Kyu starts his question.

 

“You mean the murder?” The man asked and turned to his friends. “It was pretty loud, right?”

 

“Yeah.” All of his friends agrees with him.

 

“Then, did you hear them fighting?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“Yes, They were really loud, saying stuff like, “I’ll kill you!”

 

“Then what happened?” Min Kyu asked again.

 

“Afterwards, it became quiet for a while. I thought that it was just some usual bar fights.”

 

“So, you didn’t see where the fight actually took place?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“Ah. No. I didn’t.” The man said regretfully.

 

“What about you, sir?” Min Kyu asked the other man.

 

“I didn’t either. Ah! I remember there’s a guy who saw it.”

 

“Do you know who he is?” Min Kyu asked again.

 

“It’s that guy, you guys remember him, right?” The man asked his friends and all of them nods.

 

“We don’t know his name. He used to sleep around this neighborhood, but ever since the incident, we haven’t seen him around.”

 

“Do you know when will he come back?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“People like us sleeps anywhere as we feel like it. So, we don’t know whether he’ll be back here again or moved to another place.” The man shrugged.

 

Having no certainty of when he’s going to meet the sole witness, Min Kyu decides to stay around to chat with the homeless men and waits.

 

Surprisingly, Min Kyu got lucky that night. After a few hours of waiting, a man showed up.

 

“Yo guys, what’s up?” A homeless man greets all of his homeless friends.

 

“Yo dude. Long-time no see. We thought that you have moved somewhere else,” A man greets that man.

 

“Who is he?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“He’s the one that we’ve told you about. He’s the one who saw the fight.” The homeless man explains to Min Kyu.

 

Seeing his friends chatting with a stranger, the so-called witness starts to get suspicious of Min Kyu and starts to flee from the scene.

 

“Hey, wait!” Min Kyu exclaims and starts to chase him.

 

After several minutes of running, Min Kyu finally able to catch him.

 

“Why did you run away?” Min Kyu said while he’s trying to catch his breath.

 

“I thought you want to arrest me.” The man said breathlessly.

 

“Why would I do that? Did you do something wrong?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“I don’t know. Maybe.” The man huffed.

 

“Look. Don’t run again, okay? I just want to ask you a few questions.” Min Kyu stated.

 

“Damn. Why didn’t you tell me sooner? You made me run for nothing.” The man slumped himself on the street. “What did you want to know?”

 

“First of all, what’s your name?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“My name is Park Gil Kang.”

 

“Alright. Then, Mr. Park. On March 30, at around 1 am, you witnessed a fight that happens here, right?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“Yeah. What about it?”

 

“Could you tell me what happened that night?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“I heard some voices over there and woke up. When I went to check it out, one of the guys pulled out a knife and attacked the other one.”

 

“Which one of the guys did it?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“The guy who died. As for the guy who was being attacked, he ended up stabbing him during the struggle.”

 

“How many times did he stab him?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“Once. Then he started saying something to him.” Park Gil Kang said as he tries to reminisce the incident.

 

“What was he saying?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“He’s saying something like… Apologize! Then the guy who got stabbed laughed and said, That’s too bad for you. Look, I didn’t know what they were talking about, but then he stabbed the guy one more time.” Park Gil Kang stated.

 

“Why didn’t you call the police after seeing what you’ve just told me?” Min Kyu asked.

 

“Are you an idiot?” Park Gil Kang scoffs.

 

“What did you called me? Idiot?” Min Kyu started to get furious.

 

“You asked me why? I don’t have a phone! That’s why! Isn’t it obvious?” Park Gil Kang burst into laugh.

 

“Yeah. That’s right. Of course! Neither of us have phones!” All of the other homeless men also laugh together with him.

 

Min Kyu clears his throat to hide his embarrassment and asked, “By the way, your clothes. It’s new, right?”

 

“Huh? What are you trying to say here?” Park Gil Kang furrows his brows together.

 

“You didn’t happen to find an envelope with a bunch of cash on the victim, did you?” Min Kyu smirks.

 

“Are you saying that I stole from him?” Park Gil Kang asked furiously.

 

“No. I didn’t say that. But all of your clothes are new, right?” Min Kyu smirks.

 

“Hey, he’s right. All of your clothers are new!” The other homeless man agrees with Min Kyu. “Even your hat and your gloves are new.”

 

“So what? Did you come to threaten me?” Park Gil Kang scoffed.

 

“No. Look, Mr. Park. The victim was stabbed five times, but both you and the suspect have said that he was only being stabbed twice. If that’s the truth, then after the guy stabbed the victim, someone else came and stabbed him three more times. If that was the case, then the most suspicious person would be you, Mr. Park.” Min Kyu stated his analysis.

 

“Me?” Park Gil Kang pointed at himself.

 

“What do you say?” Min Kyu smirks.

 

“NO! I didn’t do it!” Park Gil Kang exclaims.

 

“Look! I thought about checking out the guy who got stabbed, to see if he was okay. By that time, he was still alive! So, I thought I had to do something about it. But then, there’s another guy showed up. I didn’t want to be suspected, so I hid. Then, the guy took the knife and just went at it. Unconsciously, I yelp. Afterwards, he gave me this envelope and said, ‘If you don’t want to die, take this and shut up.” Park Gil Kang fished out an envelope with a tint of blood on it, out of his pockets and throw it to Min Kyu.

 

Min Kyu fish out his handkerchief and wrapped the blood-tinted envelope and put it inside his pocket. Then he asked another question to Park Gil Kang. “Did you see the other person’s face?”

 

“Unfortunately not. He was standing against the light, so it was too bright for me to see his face, and I couldn’t see him clearly.” Park Gil Kang said regretfully.

 

“Alright then. Thank you for your cooperation.” Min Kyu ends his questioning and heads back to the precinct.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

As soon as Min Kyu arrives at the precinct, he immediately finds D.O to report his findings, and show him the blood-tinted envelope.

 

“So that’s why there’s no envelope found on the victim’s body.” D.O pondered for a while.

 

“Min Kyu, take the envelope to Baek, maybe he could find any fingerprints on it.” D.O ordered.

 

“Got it.” Min Kyu immediately went to the Forensic Department to give the envelope to Baek.

 

While Min Kyu went to the Forensic Department, D.O went to Se Jong, to see if he had find any new lead on their case.

 

“Did you find anything?” D.O asked as he arrives at Se Jong’s desk.

 

“Nothing at the moment.” Se Jong shakes his head regretfully.

 

“Hm, check the CCTV in every gas station and convenience stores from the restaurant to the crime scene.” D.O requested.

 

“Why? Did you have something in your mind?” Se Jong asked while raising one of his brows at D.O. curiously.

 

“I’m not absolutely sure about it, but just check it out, will you?” D.O requested.

 

“Alright then.” Se Jong did as he requested.

 

A few minutes later, Se Jong huffed a deep sigh. “Look, you’ve got to tell me what I’m searching for, or we’re just wasting our time here.”

 

“Just see if you could find any suspicious person in the video footage.” D.O said to Se Jong.

 

Half an hour later, Se Jong called out for D.O.

 

“Hey, D.O. Check this out. Do you think this man looks suspicious to you?” Se Jong pointed at his monitor. “But earlier, you’said that I need to find any suspicious man in every gas station and convenience stores, right? This man didn’t record in any gas station or convenience store’s CCTV. Instead, he headed to the crime scene.”

 

“Hm, interesting.” D.O smirks.

 

“By the way, who’s this guy? Do you know him?” Se Jong asked.

 

“Do I know him? Hm… I wonder…” D.O smiles faintly at Se Jong and walk away, leaving Se Jong behind with his confused look.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The next morning, D.O and Kai went to the restaurant, where the fight initially started.

 

“Good morning.” Kai greets as soon as he enters the restaurant.

 

“Sorry, we haven’t open for—” The waiter who greets them trailed off.

 

“Could you ask the owner to come out please? We need to ask a few more questions.” Kai stated.

 

The waitress went to the kitchen to get Kim Sang Du to meet them.

 

“Is there anything else that you want to ask, Mr. Officer?” Kim Sang Du asked when he comes out from the kitchen.

 

“We’re sorry for coming here so early in the morning. We have some things that we wanted to clarify with you one more time.” Kai stated the purpose of their coming and asked, “At the night of the incident, you went out to look for the two guys who left the restaurant, right?”

 

“Yeah. Since I was worried about them.” Kim Sang Du confirms.

 

“Where did you look for them?” D.O asked.

 

“Around the gas station and convenience store.” Kim Sang Du stated firmly.

 

“Ah, right. That’s what you told us earlier, right?” D.O nods his head and then he slightly raised one of his brows. “Huh? Wait a second. That’s strange.”

 

“What’s so strange about it?” Kim Sang Du asked D.O.

 

“Kai, show him.” D.O asked Kai to shows the video footage on the laptop that they’ve brought with them.

 

“This is the security footage from outside every gas station and convenience stores within a radius of 1 km from your restaurant.” Kai stated as he play the video footage.

 

“Okay. So?” Kim Sang Du asked.

 

“As you can see in the video footage, how come you’re not in any of these video footage? Isn’t it strange?” Kai stated.

 

“Hm. It’s strange indeed.” D.O agrees. “Then, what about the security footage from outside the convenience stores?”

 

“Hold on. I’ll fast forward it.” Kai said.

 

“Just as I thought, you really didn’t appear in the security footage either.” D.O stated after they watch the video.

 

“Ah! Maybe I didn’t go there.” Kim Sang Du stated hastily.

 

“Then, where did you go? Did you go to the road which heads to the crime scene?” D.O asked.

 

“No. I don’t think that I went in that direction.” Kim Sang Du said firmly.

 

“Really? You didn’t? Are you sure about it?” D.O asked to reconfirm.

 

“Yeah. I’m sure about it.” Kim Sang Du said firmly.

 

“Then, why don’t we take a look at the security footage from every streets from your restaurant to the crime scene?” D.O smiles coldly.

 

Kai plays another video.

 

“Stop right there, Kai.” D,O asked Kai to stop playing the video at a certain minute.

 

“Now, please take a look at this video.” D.O pointed at the monitor. “As you can see, that’s Cha Myeong Wook and Kim Dong Nim, right?”

 

Afterward, D.O cliks on the mouse to play the video again. “And if we fast-forward it a bit…”

 

“There! That’s you, right?” D.O pointed at the monitor again and continues,”It seems that you had mistakenly remember it since you’re nowhere near any gas stations or convenience stores.”

 

“Look, officers. I don’t really remember where I went to look for them, okay? At that time, I was too worried about what would happen if he hurt one of our customers!” Kim Sang Du stated.

 

“So, are you telling me that’s the reason why your memories are a bit fuzzy?” D.O asked to reconfirm.

 

“Yes.” Kim Sang Du said firmly.

 

“Well, even though your memories are a bit fuzzy and unclear, we have you captured on the security camera.” D.O stated the obvious.

 

“Well, I’ve finally found them and followed them.” Kim Sang Du stated.

 

“Ah, so you’ve finally found them, did you? Then, why didn’t you call out for them? You said it yourself that you wanted to stop them, didn’t you?” Kai asked.

 

“Well, actually that part is fine, Kai.” D.O said. “Anyway, let’s continue. So, you’ve finally found them. Then what happened?” D.O asked.

 

“Both of them started fighting and then Cha Myeong Wook stabbed the other guy.” Kim Sang Du stated.

 

“So, in other words, you saw it happen?” Kai asked.

 

“Yes.” Kim Sang Du confirms.

 

“How many times did Cha Myeong Wook stab Kim Dong Nim?” Kai asked.

 

“I’m not really sure about it. But he stabbed him a number of times.” Kim Sang Du answers.

 

“Kim Dong Nim was stabbed five times. However, Cha Myeong Wook had said that he only stabbed Kim Dong Nim twice.” D.O stated.

 

“I have no idea…” Kim Sang Du lowered his head.

 

“How about we change the question?” Kai suggest. “Did you know Kim Dong Nim?”

 

“No. He was just a customer who would come to the restaurant occasionally.” Kim Sang Du said.

 

“I see. By the way, you’re from Goseong, aren’t you?” Kai asked.

 

“Did you investigated me that much?” Kim Sang Du asked furiously.

 

“No. I didn’t investigate you. The first time I came here, you used an accent. Then I remember that your accent sounds similar to a friend of mine. He came from Badeun-ri. That’s why I know that you’re also from there.” Kai smiles.

 

“Mr. Kim. The victim, Kim Dong Nim attended Goseong High School, and your hometown is Badeun-ri, a village in Goseong. I was interested in his story. When I did some research, I found out that he had a criminal record. In that record, and your name also appeared. Back then, you and Kim Dong Nim knew each other, right?” D.O asked.

 

“No. I didn’t know him.” Kim Sang Du firmly said.

 

After hearing Kim Sang Du’s answer, D,O fish out his cellphone and looking for Jung Young Ha’s picture. When he finds it, he showed it to Kim Sang Du.

 

“Do you remember her?” D.O asked.

 

“I have no idea who she is.” Kim Sang Du said firmly.

 

“This girl was the victim of a ual assault case that occurred in the town that you lived in. It’s the same case where Kim Dong Nim was accused of.” D.O stated.

 

“So? What does this incident have anything to do with me?” Kim Sang Du shrugged.

 

“The victim herself reported that there were two men who had attacked her. The other person was you, wasn’t it?” D.O smirks coldly.

 

“….”

 

“It was all done by the lawyer who was hired by Kim Tae Ho, Kim Dong Nim’s grandfather, right?” D.O asked. “He knew that if there was an accomplice in the ual assault case, then the perpretrators would have been charged with gang , and the punishments would have been much more severe. In other words, if it seemed like there’s only one person who committed the crime, then it would have more benefit to his client. Afterward, Kim Dong Nim went crying to his grandfather and made him to put pressure on the police. Am I right?” D.O asked coldly.

 

“….”

 

“Are you still trying to play dumb? You’ve got to be kidding me! It’s because of you that Jung Young Ha killed herself!” Kai yelled at Kim Sang Du furiously.

 

“For this case, Cha Myeong Wook wasn’t the murderer. Because after Cha Myeong Wook stabbed Kim Dong Nim, he was still alive. At that time, you had an opportunity. So you took advantage of it and killed Kim Dong Nim.” D.O stated coldly.

 

“Hmph. As if you have any proof that I did it!” Kim Sang Du scoffed.

 

“Proof? Of course we do. You can’t get out of this anymore.” D.O smirks as he take out the blood-tinted envelope from his pocket and shows it to Kim Sang Du. “Do you remember this envelope?”

 

Kim Sang Du didn’t say anything in his response, however his face starts to lose its color.

 

“This is the envelope that you gave to Park Gil Kang, to keep his mouth shut.” D.O smirks coldly.

 

Having no way out and running out of excuses, Kim Sang Du finally confessed.

 

“Argggh! Damn it! Kim Dong Nim… He… he kept on bringing up everything that had happened and he blackmailed me with it. He planned to take advantage of me for the rest of my life! It was all his fault! He deserves it! Ha ha ha ha ha…”

 

“You’ve committed crime against two people and you used another two people to take the blame for you, yet you still planned on living a normal life?” Kai looks at Kim Sang Du with disgusted looks. “I’d never forgiven someone who would sacrifice the lives of others, just to save yourself!” Kai furiously said as he put his handcuff on Kim Sang Du’s wrists.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

With the arrest of Kim Sang Du for the murder of Kim Dong Nim, Cha Myeong Wook was free from the charge of murder. However…

 

“Mr. Cha. According to our witness, he said that at the night of the incident, you said “apologize” to Kim Dong Nim. Is that true?” Kai asked Cha Myeong Wook.

 

“It’s as he said. At that time, I did say “Apologize” and I did think of killing him.” Cha Myeong Wook said softly.

 

“Mr. Cha. Do you understand, with that statement, you will be put on the trial for attempted murder?” Kai asked.

 

“I understand.”

 

“Can I ask you one more thing?” D.O asked.

 

“Yes?”

 

“How did you get Kim Dong Nim to take you outside the restaurant? No matter how I think about it, it would have been something pretty big. If you’d just told him to go outside, then he would have just tried to fight it out in front of the restaurant. However, he purposely taking you to a place where no one could see both of you. It feels a bit strange to me. Moreover, afterward, he was clearly aiming to kill you. It’s you who led him to do that, right?” D.O asked curiously.

 

Cha Myeong Wook huffed a deep sigh and said, “That’s right. I didn’t just tell him to stop making a ruckus in the restaurant. Instead, I leaned in and whisper to him, saying that he shouldn’t think that I’ve forgotten about what he did.”

 

Cha Myeong Wook paused to heave a deep sigh before continues, “When I was arrested by the police, no matter what, I just couldn’t bring myself to talk about Young Ha, so I just kept quiet about it. I promise to make up for what I did.”

 

Cha Myeong Wook stands up from his seat and bow to D.O and Kai.

 

“Thank you very much. It’s all thanks to you that the other person who drove my fiancee to her death, was also arrested.” Cha Myeong Wook said between his sobs. “Thank you very much for everything.”

 

D.O didn’t say anything in his response. Instead, he left the interrogation room as he’s gesturing Kai to take Cha Myeong Wook back to his cell.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Meanwhile, Kim Tae Ho furiously enters Jung Jae Young’s office.

 

“What the hell did you just do?” Kim Tae Ho asked while he slammed on Jae Young’s desk.

 

“I don’t think I understand what you meant, sir.” Jae Young smiles calmly.

 

“You! Did you realized what you did?” Kim Tae Ho said furiously. “I’ve told you to close the case as soon as possible.”

 

“Well, I did. I’ve closed the case, didn’t I?” Jae Young still smiles calmly.

 

“All you have to do was close the case! Why the hell did you have to dig into my grandson’s past?” Kim Tae Ho asked furiously.

 

“Your grandson’s case is the root of this case. As a police officer, it’s my job to bring justice to every citizen.” Jae Young smiles calmly.

 

“YOU…! Be prepare to lose your job. You have no idea who you were messing with.” Kim Tae Ho threatens furiously.

 

“Be my guest, sir. If I’m against the law, then I’ll be more than willing to receive any punishment.” Jae Young still smiling.

 

“YOU…!” Kim Tae Ho lost in his words as he fish out his cellphone to dial a certain someone.

 

“By the way, sir, do you happen to know about our law?” Jae Young said to Kim Tae Ho with a smile on his face.

 

“What the hell are you talking about?” Kim Tae Ho glare at Jae Young furiously.

 

“Do you know about Article 136?” Jae Young raised both of his brows together as he smiles.

 

“…”

 

“Article 136, stating that a person who uses violence or intimidation against a public official engaged in the performance of his duties, shall be punished by imprisonment for five years and ten million won of fine. It shall apply to a person who uses violence or intimidation in order to cause a public official to perform, or refrain from performing an official act or in order to force his resignation.” Jae Young explains.

 

“…”

 

Kim Tae Ho didn’s say anything in response, however, he slowly lowered his hands and glared at Jae Young.

 

Having no response from Kim Tae Ho, Jae Young continues. “And you, sir, you have just violated the law by intimidating a public official.” Jae Young smiles.

 

“You won’t dare…” Kim Tae Ho scoffed.

 

“You’re right, I won’t.” Jae Young nods in his agreement.

 

Hearing that statement, Kim Tae Ho scoffed and starts to dial a certain number again. However, his fingers float in the air as he hears the second part of Jae Young’s sentence.

 

“I won’t do it if I didn’t have any proof.” Jae Young smirks as he takes out his cellphone and tap on it. Few seconds later, an audio file resounds in the room.

 

Kim Tae Ho startled when he heard the contents of the audio file because he heard his own voice resounds in the room, threatening Jae Young, just a few minutes earlier.

 

“YOU…Bastard!” Kim Tae Ho cursed at Jae Young furiously.

 

“I know the amount of the fines is nothing to you. And maybe you could hire the best lawyer to defend you, so you won’t have to spend a night in jail, however…” Jae Young rises from his desk and heads towards the door.

 

“I’m absolutely sure that you must maintain your good image in front of the public for the sake of your business.” Jae Young continues.

 

Jae Young opens the door and turned to Kim Tae Ho.

 

“So, Mr. Kim Tae Ho, I suggest you leave my office and never interfere in the job of public officials again unless you want me to upload the audio file to any media. I’m sure that there are a lot of people who’s interested in it.” Jae Young smiles politely at Mr. Kim Tae Ho as he gestures for him to leave.

 

Kim Tae Ho scoffed and grumble as he heads towards the open door. On his halfway out, he turned and glared at Jae Young who’s still smiling at him.

 

“Have a good day, Mr. Kim.” Jae Young smiles and slightly bows to him.

 

Kim Tae Ho made another scoff before he turned as he stomps his feet in rage, and almost bump into Kai. “Hey! Watch it!”

 

“Ah, I’m sorry, sir.” Kai apologize politely.

 

“Hmph.” Kim Tae Ho scoffed and left immediately in rage.

 

Having that response made Kai scratch on his hair in confusion while mumbling to himself. “What’s wrong with him?”

 

“Chief!” Kai called out as he sees Jae Young at his office. “Who’s that guy?”

 

“Nobody, Kai. Nobody.” Jae Young smiles mysteriously to himself. “How’s Cha Myeong Wook?”

 

“With Kim Sang Du’s statement, Cha Myeong Wook was freed from the charge of murder. However, he still had to face the other charge. The murder attempt of Kim Dong Nim.” Kai explains. “Here’s the case report, chief.”

 

“I see.” Jae Young takes the files and scans them for a while. “Where’s D.O?”

 

“He went straight home after we confirm our new findings with the suspect.” Kai explains. “Why, Chief? Do you want to see him?”

 

“Nah. Let him rest.” Jae Young stretches his arms above his head. “Looks like I need some rest too.” Jae Young said as he prepares himself to go home and said, “You should go home too, Kai. Everyone got a day off, but don’t turn off your phone, in case there’s an urgency.” Jae Young reminds Kai as they went outside together.

 

“Got it, Chief.” Kai said before they went on their separate ways.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------