Promise

Not Far Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongdae spent the whole day walking to small shops and restaurants to ask if they need someone to work. He was determined to find one so he could afford to buy some of the things he wanted to get for Minseok. However, it didn't bring the expected results, because everyone refused him when he found out that the boy didn't even finish high school. Desperate, he went to the store where an elderly woman told him to go if he needed help. That was where her daughter accepted him, who immediately offered him a job, which was to serve clients, take care of the store's assortment and keep order in it. The boy immediately agreed and warmly thanked the employer. Next, he decided to check on Chanyeol, but he was very surprised when he didn't find him at Yixing's. It alarmed him, so he went to his house, but there was no trace of the boy. He tried to contact him several times, and finally, he succeeded and Chanyeol calmed him down, saying that he had found good people and to not worry about him. Promising themselves that they'll be in touch, they hung up. Jongdae had some time before going to the hospice, so he went shopping. He bought Minseok's favorite sweets, namely marshmallows and a small bouquet of cloves.

 

When he was standing in front of the entrance to the building, he made sure that no one would notice the surprise present, and after correcting his shirt, Jongdae went inside. He had an exceptionally good mood for the first time in a long time, full stomach, and he wanted to make Minseok smile because he liked it so much. The atmosphere that prevailed the moment he entered the hospice was strange, even tense. Everyone was passing each other in a hurry, and everyone Dae tried to catch and ask what was happening, they ditched him saying that they don't have time. The boy changed into his work clothes and as usual, went to look for a nurse. It took him a good hour, and when their eyes met, Dae could say something was wrong. Lay was depressed and looked as if he hadn't slept all night, because he had dark circles under his eyes. The teenager approached him uncertainly, feeling a strange tightness in his chest, not knowing why he suddenly feels so nervous.

 

- Hyung, what is happening? - he asked and watched carefully as Yixing seemed even more depressed.

 

- Jongdae, what do you think about going home earlier? There is a lot of work, you won't be able to help, so maybe you want to go now? - he asked and didn't like his tone, because I clearly felt that he was trying to get rid of me.

 

- Hyung, tell me the truth. What's going on here? - I looked into his eyes, indicating that I'm not going anywhere.

 

- One of our charges passed away in the morning. The kids are depressed. Plus, the condition of one of our patients suddenly worsened. - something didn't suit me here. I felt pain in my chest, hearing his words. Once my mind processed the information Lay'd given to me, something dawned on my mind. At the same time, it wasn't a pleasant thought, I even prayed that I'd be wrong.

 

- And Minseok, how is he? He had to hear about the child's death... - I tried to be gentle, to deny my suspicions.

 

- Minseok he ... this patient is ... - the nurse stopped, and I got a lump in my throat because he didn't have to finish this sentence. I already knew the answer.

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter