Mum

Not Far Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol uncertainly descended the wooden stairs that led to the living room. In the middle stood a leather sofa with a coffee table and next to it was a blue baby carrier with rattles and toys around. There was a movie cabinet and a bookshelf under the wall. A large television hung in the center of it. However, we didn't stop in the living room and only went through it to the kitchen, which was quite large, kept in bright colors with the island in the middle. Baekhyun sat at a table of gray wood and sat his younger brother in a children's seat. The boy laughed merrily when the older brother put a banana porridge in front of him, fastening a bib with colorful elephants on his neck.

 

I stood at the threshold of the kitchen a little lost, not knowing what to do, because it wasn't my home and unnatural for me were such activities as a family dinner. Baekhyun's mother stood with her back turned, dealing with something in the sink. For a moment I felt stupid and considered whether or not to return to the room upstairs, but suddenly the woman turned to me, smiling at once.

 

- Here you are, my dear, sit down, I'll give you dinner. - she said, and I couldn't move. I just felt weird. Like an unmatched element of this puzzle. Baek, seeing my hesitation, stood up and grabbed my arm, guiding me to the table.

 

- Put how much you want and what you want. - he instructed me, and I just nodded and started putting rice on my plate with meat and vegetables.

 

We ate everyone in silence, even when Mrs. Byun joined us. I think that mainly because they wanted to give me some time to get used to the situation and the new place. When the meal was almost finished, and the homemade juice was on the table, came the moment to explain everything. I asked what I was doing here, how I got here and who they were all at all because I didn't know anything about my saviors apart from names. Because the boy was feeding his brother, his mother explained everything to me. From her story, I learned, that they found me on one of the paths in the park, in a very bad condition, when they were returning home from classes and shopping. As they live nearby, they decided to take me home and take care of me. However, she didn't want to go into details, saying that I should focus on not letting that night happen again. I was ashamed and felt terribly stupid, but grateful too.

 

A nice woman, seeing that for the time being I don't want to talk about myself more, went on to explain to me who she was. And she turned out to be a forty-year-old florist who had her own florist near the park. Often Baekhyun helped her at work. The boy's father was currently working abroad and returned to Korea on average once a month for a period of a week, sometimes longer. Dodo, or Do Hyung, was turning two-year-old in February and appeared in the world complete unplanned. However, all the family members were very happy about this news. A strange family, but better than mine, anyway.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter