Jongdae and Minseok

Not Far Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I woke up early in the morning, the sun was definitely not in the sky yet. I tried to remember why I was lying on the floor in the same clothes as yesterday, but when I turned over too sharply, and my body stung with throbbing pain, I remembered everything. I grabbed my ribs and with the help of the wall, I slowly got to my feet. I felt like they were jelly and I was afraid they'd refuse my obedience. My throat was very dry, but when I got to the kitchen and once again I was greeted by an empty refrigerator, I went to the bathroom with resignation.

 

My lips were stinging and the blood that flew from my nose yesterday, dried on my face, creating a path along my cheek. I bent to the sink with difficulty and trying not to inflict myself more pain, I began to wash my face slowly. Then I took a big sip of water and drank greedily to give relief to my dry throat. I changed my shirt for some in a better condition and, trying not to pay attention to the purple belly, I left the house. Going down the stairs, I stopped every few steps to catch my breath and rest for a moment. It ended up getting that I got to the hospice almost exhausted, with no power for any work. I signed up on the attendance list that my curator left, and went to get changed. By the state I was in, it took me twice as much time, and Yixing was already waiting for me outside the changing room. His expression of frustration, however, turned to worry when he looked at my face.

 

- Did something happen, Jongdae? You look bad... - he asked with a noticeable concern in his voice.

 

- I had an accident on a bicycle. Never mind, just tell me what to do. - I lied to him because I wanted to be left alone without more questions.

 

- If you say so. - he replied but I was sure he didn't believe me. - Today, your task will be to help in the kitchen. You'll take care of giving meals to our charges. - he explained and we walked down the corridor leading to the cafeteria.

 

I was told to wear a protective cap and gloves, and immediately we went to work. The kids, the healthier ones, lined up in the queue for the trays, and I was serving their meals on the plates. For those who didn't have enough strength, I was delivering meals with a metal trolley, which frankly, helped me with my aching body. One thing, however, surprised me. Nowhere I couldn't see my friend from yesterday. Did he give up after trying to pick me up in a clumsy way? This thought amused me, but I hoped it wasn't true. Finishing the issuance of the last meals, I noticed Lay, who was entering the canteen. He smiled broadly at the children around him, messing their hair. Then he moved in my direction, and I knew it wasn't the end of my work.

 

- You'll go to room 99 and bring our most unruly patient a meal. - he said, putting several selected products on the tray.

 

- Yixing, can I ask you something? There was a guy yesterday, Xiumin, don't you know whether he quit his job or just have a day off? - I asked, trying not to show that I was interested in it.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter