Misunderstanding (WonB)

Gfriend Random Shot Series
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Guys, did you hear the news?” Eunseo pulls the chair out and takes a sit right next to SinB. Dahyun who’s sitting in front of them turns herself around to join in the gossip.

“About what?” Dahyun asks.

SinB doesn’t even bother to say a thing, her eyes still on the lookout of the school field from her class window

“We’re getting a new classmate today” 

“Poor her then” SinB chuckles lightly 

“Huh?” Eunseo couldn’t understand what SinB is referring to

“There” SinB points her finger towards a figure who’s at the centre of the class hanging out with her friends

“Ahhhh” Eunseo gets it finally “So, you guys wanna bet that she’ll be the next one?”

“50 bucks” Dahyun’s in

“Okay cool. I’m in” Eunseo agrees 

And later they both avert their eyes to SinB

“I’ll pass. Am not going to bet for something that’s 100% about to happen. Plus, can’t you see how beautiful she is?” 

The other two direct their gaze towards SinB’s eyes direction. Their homeroom teacher is walking in with the new student they are waiting. 

 

“Class, meet your new classmate, Kim Sojung” 

After a short introduction of the new student, Miss Park’s eyes wander around the class, looking for an empty sit for Sojung. 

“Hwang Eunbi, isn’t the place next to you empty?” She asks as she recalls that place should be empty but seeing Eunseo sitting there, she asks just to confirm “What are you doing there, Son Juyeon?”

Eunseo can only grins before she walks back to her own place a row next to them.

“You may sit there Sojung” She instructs and Sojung bows a little before she walks towards her new place with all eyes on her following her footsteps except that one set of eyes who doesn’t even bother to take a peek, the owner doesn’t even say hi when Sojung greets her.

 

*****

 

“Hi. I’m Jung Yerin”

“Hello. Choi Yuna”

 

“Hi. I’m Jung Yerin” Yerin pulls her chair and takes a sit in front of Sojung during their class break.

“Hello. Kim Sojung” Sojung vibes off a smile. 

“Where are you from?” 

“The States”

“Oh?” Yerin looks surprise “Why did you come here?”

And Sojung only vibes off a smile leaving Yerin’s question unanswered 

“Sorry. I crossed the boundary” Yerin realizes she’s in the wrong. Hearing that, SinB scoffs, giving Yerin a sharp eyes.

“Hey, Dahyun?” 

Sojung hears SinB’s voice for the first time.

“Yow, what’s up?” Dahyun turns around

“Wanna go out and get an ice cream from the snack bar?”

“Huh?”

“I don’t think I can stand listening to a certain someone talking gibberish” Her eyes leer to Yerin again and a smirk form on her lips

“Ahhh. Same. Let’s go then”

“Juyeon, let’s goooo before something else happened” SinB taps Eunseo a bit to wake her friend up. Eunseo who couldn’t grasp the situation is about to ask what it’s about only to stop by Dahyun who quickly drags her out.

“You’re still living in the past it seems?” Yerin stands up from her sit and raises her voice, trying to make a scene.

SinB who’s about to step her foot outside of the class, stops and turns herself around.

“And you still haven’t learn from it” 

 

*****

 

“Kim Sojung!!!!” Someone shouts her name as soon as she steps out of her class. And when she turns around, even before she can do anything, she’s already in someone’s embrace.

“Do you have to make a scene and catches everyone’s attention, Jiyeon?” Sojung chuckles as she pushes her cousin a bit to create a tiny gap between them

“Heee. Am just too excited seeing you!” Bona pinches Sojung’s cheek and breaks it when they turn pink “How was your first half of the class? Made any friends?"

"They were okay?" Sojung shrugs "And I did make a few friends, gonna have lunch with them later"

"Did my vice pres introduced herself to you yet?"

"Oh? The student council vice pres is in my class?"

"Yeappp" Bona nods "Ah there she is" She points her finger towards SinB who's walking into the class

"Ohhh... Nahh she hasn't but she did make quite an impression to me"

"A good one or a bad one?"

"Am not sure yet. In the middle for now I guess" Sojung shrugs 

"Let me guess, she made a scene with Yerin already?"

"How did you know?" Sojung raises her eyebrow 

"She's my vice pres, Sojung, of course I know. I think every student here knows about them" Bona grins "The girl she's having a beef with is the broadcasting club's president anyway"

The school bell rings signalling their next class is starting soon before the two can continue gossiping "Just be aware of them alright?" Bona reminds "See you for dinner!"

 

*****

 

“If you’re worried about Sojung, maybe you should start talking to her?” Dahyun says when she realizes SinB can’t stop staring at Sojung from afar 

“Seconded that. You haven’t even spoken a word with her ever since she entered our class and it’s nearing a month, Eunbi” Eunseo adds

“Who says I’m worried about her?” SinB scoffs “She’s big enough to think what’s good and what’s bad for her. Plus, she's Bona's cousin, I'm pretty sure Bona has warned her to be aware of Yerin. And if she thinks Yerin is still good for her, then it is what it is” She finally averts her eyes from Sojung and continues taking a bite of her chocolate cream bun

“Your actions speaks louder than your words” Dahyun chuckles. She knows SinB is worried about Sojung, definitely “That’s why I never fully trust whatever that comes out of your mouth”

“Ahhh right, have you guys heard?” Eunseo changes the topic 

“About what?”

“Our class is going camping early next month”

“Compulsory?”

Eunseo nods “It has something to do with our school newest co-curriculum policy. I heard we’re going camping once every month”

“And if I don’t go?” SinB hates going out on a trip with her classmates aside from these two

“You don’t want to graduate? If we failed this we have to repeat the whole year” Eunseo smacks SinB’s back “My mom would kill me if she knows I had to repeat a year just because I didn’t join this nonsense camping trip” 

“I would love to see that” SinB says nonchalantly 

“You whaaaaaat?” Eunseo is this close to headlock SinB but luckily the latter has a fast feet

“See you in the afterlife!” SinB continues to joke around, bursting out her laughter as she runs away from Juyeon who’s chasing her

“Yowwww, wait for me you two. Geez. Kids” Dahyun cleans up the rubbish left by the other two and quickly follows them from behind

 

*****

 

“5 laps today! Jogs not run” Their PE teacher gives his instruction. 

Hearing that, almost every student let out a sigh. They hate this activity the most. And out of all days, Mr. Son decided to do it on a sunny day. 

But there are two students who ended up being each other’s partner for the very first time, whom reactions are different from other students. One is excited for today’s class since it doesn’t require any teamwork and communication is not needed whilst the other is worried if she’s gonna survive till the final lap. 

Entering the 4th lap, SinB realizes Sojung is slowing down. She wants to ask why but SinB being herself, she keeps it inside and slows down her pace to match Sojung’s as she continues to follow Sojung from behind. 

And oh boy, she’s glad she did that. A few seconds later, Sojung suddenly loses her balance and almost collapsed on the floor but SinB is faster to catch her.

What SinB first thought as Sojung is merely just losing her balance turns out to be wrong all along. When SinB catches Sojung, the latter isn’t responsive at all when SinB calls her. Eyes close and her body looks lifeless in SinB’s eyes. Not bother to shout for help, SinB immediately carries Sojung on her back and runs towards their school’s clinic. Only when she does that, the others realize something just went wrong. Mr. Son quickly follows from behind but SinB assures him that she can handle it alone. 

 

“Have you lost your mind, Sojung??” 

SinB halts her step when she hears someone is nagging at Sojung inside the mini ward. SinB takes a peek through the tiny gaps and sees Bona, the student council president from the first class, is sitting at the end of Sojung’s bed. 

“I’m fine, Jiyeon” Sojung tries to calm her cousin “Maybe it’s just because of the weather”

“You can lie to others but not me, Sojung. If uncle knows, you know he’s going to bring you back to the States, right?”

“Pleaseeeee don’t tell him. I like it here though” Sojung begs.

“Only if you promise me this won’t happen again” 

“It won’t happen again, I promise. Anyway, do you know who carry me here?” 

SinB is planning to go inside and shows herself but when she hears footsteps coming over, she quickly hide behind the stairs only to see Yerin going inside the ward. Knowing the reason why she’s there, SinB brushes off her plan and walks back to her class.

 

**

 

“Are you being serious??” Eunseo couldn’t believe what she’s hearing.

SinB nods “Both of you must not say a word” She reminds Eunseo and Dahyun not to tell Sojung that SinB is the one who carry her to the clinic this morning.

“But why would you do that?” Eunseo isn’t satisfied

“It’s better that way” SinB hops off the wall and brushes off her pants “I don’t like it if someone feel indebted to me” 

“And you’re more willing to let Yerin takes the spotlight?” 

SinB doesn’t answer instead she begins to walk back to their houses. 

“Help me over here will you, Dahyun?” Eunseo tries to get Dahyun to back her up

“Did you forget what happened between them before, Juyeon?” Dahyun takes SinB’s side instead

“I didn’t. That’s why I don’t agree with whatever Eunbi is doing right now”

“Then, I assume you still remember what happened when Eunbi did the exact opposite of what she has been doing so far last time?” 

Remembering that, both Eunseo and SinB make a sudden stop. 

Eunseo can only sigh knowing there’s no way she will win the arguments. Dahyun has a point, although Eunseo doesn’t 100% agree with it, it’s better if she stops trying to convince SinB for now. 

 

*****

 

Class is finally over and Sojung purposely tidy up her place a bit slower than she always did hoping to get sometimes alone with SinB. And luck is on her side because she actually did get it. 

“Hey, SinB?” Sojung finally open when she’s sure no one is around

“Hmm?” SinB picks up her book and goes towards her locker at the back

“Can I ask you something?”

“What?” 

Great, their first time conversing with each other yet SinB only utters a single word back to her.

“Last week, during our PE, were you the one who carry me to the clinic?”

“Nope” SinB doesn’t even take a second to answer. She locks her locker and walks back to her table to grab her bagpack 

“B-but, Jiyeon said-”

“Are you ready, Sojung?” 

Their conversation is interrupted by Yerin who suddenly appears at the door.

SinB takes that opportunity to head out of the classroom before Sojung could finish her sentence. She stops right next to Yerin, taking that opportunity to warn the latter “Don’t repeat the same mistake, Jung Yerin” She squeezes Yerin’s shoulder a tad tough before she walks away.

“What did she says to you?” Sojung asks Yerin noticing SinB whispered something to the latter just now

“Nothing” Yerin covers it with a smile “You have packed everything for the camping this weekend?” 

“Emm” Sojung nods “Only need to buy a hiking boots” 

“That’s perfect then. We can stop by this one outdoor shop on our way home. Shall we?”

 

*****

 

“Getting your boots fix, Eunbi?” Mr. Han asks as soon as SinB walks into his store with a string bag in her hand

“Yeap” SinB grins “These guys need their boots fix too” She continues the moment Dahyun and Eunseo steps inside the store.

“When do you guys need them?” 

“Within 2 days. We’re going camping this friday” SinB answers as they take out their boots and put them on the wooden table at the side.

Mr. Han takes a look at each of them and once he knows what to be fix, he says “I can get it done by today. 2 hours will do. But would you girls mind helping me in the store for the day? I’ll repair your boots for free if you agree”

“On it!”

“Call”

“No problem. Let us get change!” 

They say while running to the back of the store and go inside the changing room as if they already know Mr. Han is going to ask them for their help. And Mr. Han, knowing the girls for years now, he knew the girls are waiting for him for the deal he just made. 

 

“Hello! Welcome to Han’s outback” Eunseo greets the customers eagerly but her smile fades away a little when she realizes who had just walked in.

SinB who notices the sudden change in Eunseo’s expression takes a peek in between the aisle only to see Sojung walking further inside with Yerin. No wonder Eunseo’s personality changes in a split second. 

Dahyun being the neutral out of the other two put up a smile and asks “What are you guys looking for?”

“Hiking boots. I need one for the camping this weekend” Sojung answers

“Ahh, it’s over there” Dahyun points towards the aisle SinB is at “Feel free to ask me in case you don’t know which one to pick” 

“Thanks Dahyun” Sojung walks towards the aisle with Yerin follows closely behind. Sojung is flustered when she sees SinB over there, organizing the box at the lower shelf, but SinB continues to pretend like they aren't there.

 

“How about this one, Sojung?” Yerin shows the light brown boots she’s holding “Waterproof, high-cut, the soles looks good too” 

SinB who happened to still being there tries to control her lips from forming a smirk. 

“Do you wanna try?” Yerin suggests and Sojung agrees. After getting the boots of her size, Sojung takes a sit and tries it. SinB takes a quick look and by looking at Sojung’s expression she knows the boots isn’t the perfect fit. Luck is on her side when Yerin has to answer a call and she goes outside of the store to settle it.

“Try this one” SinB passes a new hiking boots to Sojung.

“The one you just tried is heavy, you don’t need that just for a simple hike we’re going to do this weekend. Plus, it isn’t comfy for a beginner like you”

The longest sentence SinB has ever says to Sojung.

Hearing the bell rings, SinB quickly walks away from Sojung knowing it’s Yerin who had just walk in. She gives a sign to Dahyun to cover it up for her so that Yerin won’t know she’s the one suggesting it. 

“What’s wrong with the boots I chose for you?” Yerin asks seeing Sojung in a new hiking boots

“I can’t walk properly in that, Yerin”

“Who helped you pick this one?” 

“I did” Dahyun says and Sojung is flabbergasted by it. 

“Is this one better, Dahyun?”

“Emm” Dahyun nods “She’ll be able to hike smoothly with this one”

“Okay then. Anything else you need Sojung?” 

“I’m all set, Yerin”

“Okay. I’ve to go somewhere after I drop you off at your home”

 

*****

 

“Okay everyone, paired up!” 

Miss Lee instructs them once they arrive at their base camp. 

As planned, SinB and Eunseo immediately paired up with one another leaving Dahyun alone on purpose. 

“Aren’t we supposed to play rock paper scissors as we always did, Eunbi, Juyeon...” Dahyun crosses her arms looking unsatisfied 

“Not today. Your love life is waiting” Eunseo eyes leer towards Sana who’s looking at their direction

“She’s giving you a chance to make a move” SinB turns Dahyun around to face Sana, forcefully “She’s been staring at you ever since we got off the bus” 

“Now goooo” 

They both pushes Dahyun till she’s only a meter away from Sana.

Dahyun’s eyes are glued at Sana’s for a while but the moment Sana is about to open , Dahyun takes a step back and starts to walk towards her friends

“I can’t do this, you twoooo” She grabs her friends by their necks 

“You won’t know till you tried”

“Besides, you don’t have a choice. Everyone else has a partner already, Dahyun” 

SinB and Eunseo pushes Dahyun towards Sana once again.

They immediately leave the two alone while giggling. Definitely having fun teasing the shorter one out of them three. 

 

**

 

“Eunbi, look” Eunseo points towards the tent not far from them with a witty smile on her face. 

SinB who’s trying to light up the fire couldn’t hide her smile either

“So much of her ‘I can’t do this you two’” SinB mimics the way Dahyun said to them a few hours ago. The latter definitely doesn’t live up to her words seeing how chatty and happy she is with Sana right now. 

Done lighting up the fire, SinB stands up to stretch and that's when she realizes Sojung is nowhere to be seen at her tents instead she only sees Yerin talking with one of their classmates. SinB scans the area and her eyes finally landed on the sight of Sojung carrying a bagpack and 2 boxes of water bottle.

 

“What do you want to talk to me about, Bona?” SinB asks while tidying up her notes from their council meeting inside the file 

“I heard your class is going camping this weekend?” 

“Emm, we are” SinB nods “Why?”

“Can I asked you a favor?” Bona bites her lower lips, waiting nervously for SinB to answer 

“It depends. About what?” 

“Sojung...” 

SinB stops packing when she hears the name.

“What’s up with her?”

“Nothing. Just need your help to look after her” 

SinB chuckles

“She’s not a kid anymore, Bona”

“I know she isn’t. But she can be a bit stubborn, doing things that she isn’t supposed to. She’s been exempted from joining the camping but hmm...” Bona releases a deep sigh. SinB is her last resort to help her out. 

“Exempted because of what?”

“I’m sure you already have an idea, SinB. You’re the one who helped her last time, didn’t you?”

“I don’t understand what you’re talking about, Bona” SinB continues her pretense. 

“Aside from that, I also trusted you more than the other person, SinB” 

And their eyes lock with one another

“Too bad for you, Sojung thinks the opposite” SinB averts her eyes immediately after

“You might be wrong for that, SinB” Bona clicks her tongue “It’s hard to read what’s in her mind, just like you”

“If you don’t have anything else to say, I’ve to go now” SinB looks at her watch and she gets ready to leave the room but is halted when Bona says 

“I don’t want that person to hurt Sojung like what she did to others, SinB”

“Then why didn’t you tell Sojung about it?” SinB removes her hand from the door knob

“Because Sojung isn’t the type to believe it without seeing it on her own”  

“You know she’s going to ended up hurting for her to see it?” SinB bumps her forehead against the door 

“I know. That’s why I’m asking for your help so she hurts a little lesser” 

 

Reminded of her conversation with Bona the other day, SinB quickly walks towards Sojung and takes the boxes off the latter's hand. SinB makes her way towards Sojung's tents, put it by the entrance and leave without saying anything. But she definitely makes Yerin aware of the situation when she purposely bump the latter by her shoulder, till she loses her balance and falls on the dirts. 

"What the hell was that for, SinB?" Yerin raises her voice as she brushes off the dirt from her pants "Can't you see me standing here? Use you eyes, will you?!"

"I saw you just fine, Yerin" SinB smirks "I only pretended not seeing you. You're just making my eyesight worst, so why bother looking at you?" 

Yerin is so close of lifting her fist but has to stop herself when she sees Sojung is walking towards them. SinB who notices the situation leaves Yerin with a warning "Stop flirting and do the task assigned to you, will you?"

 

*****

 

When they go for a hike on their second day of camping, SinB tries to slow down her pace so she’ll be at the end of the pack but Eunseo keeps on pulling and nagging at her and they somehow ended up being at the front. Even so, SinB doesn’t forget to take a peek at the back of the line to ensure Sojung is following them well. 

“Why do you keep on looking at your back, Eunbi?” Eunseo finally asks, notices SinB has been behaving like that for a while now

“Huh? Nothing. Thought the view looks great” 

“Hmm” Eunseo frowns “As if this is your first time hiking over here” She teases knowing that’s not the reason why “Keep your eyes on the front, you know how rough the trail is about to be soon. She’ll be fine anyway” Eunseo has to remind SinB, not wanting any accidents to take place later. But oh well, too bad it does happened.

 

“2 minutes break. Check up your partner time!” Mr. Im, their instructor tells them to stop walking. He calls out every student’s name to ensure all of them are there. Everyone answered him except one student. 

“Jung Yerin! Is Sojung with you?”

All eyes quickly glued to Yerin who couldn’t utter a word. The two are at the back of the pack, so no one realizes that Sojung is missing.

“Where is she, Yerin?!” He walks towards Yerin with his voice raises.

“She, uh. She took a break to tie her boots and she told me to go ahead. I was too caught up with the surrounding, I didn’t notice she hasn’t catch up with us yet” Yerin answers, couldn’t lift her face, knowing that she’s in the wrong.

Just as Mr. Im tells Miss Choo to go ahead and bring the rest of the students back to their camping ground, SinB steps ahead and volunteer to find Sojung.

“That’s alright sir. I’m used to this place. Sojung couldn’t be gone too far” SinB says as she quickly traces back their trail

“I’ll go with her!” Eunseo follows SinB from behind

“I’ll see you back at our tent, Sana. Need to help my friends” Dahyun says to Sana, feeling sorry but she knows this place as good as the other two “Juyeon, wait up!” Dahyun quickens her pace to catch up with Eunseo.

 

“Sojung!”

“Kim Sojung!!”

“Can you hear us!”

The three shouts as they walk back along their hiking trail. From Yerin’s explanation, Sojung isn’t supposed to be too far from the place they are at right now.

“Should we split?” Eunseo suggests

“Emm. I’ll go this way” SinB points to her left “You go straight, and Dahyun, take that route” She instructs the other two “You guys bring the whistle right?” 

“Yeap”

“Has it right here”

Both Dahyun and Eunseo takes out the whistle from their pockets 

“Awesome. We have to move fast, it’s gonna turn dark in an hour”

 

The three go separate ways to fasten the search and they keep on shouting Sojung’s name hoping they will get an answer in return.

SinB has to calm herself down, the situation reminds her back to the incident a year ago but this time she’s determine not to let the same thing happen again. 

She moves forward little by little, scanning her surroundings. A few steps later, she found a piece of purple clothes stuck on a tree branch and she recalls seeing Sojung wearing a purple tshirt before they started their hiking. And not far from there, she finally sees Sojung lying on the ground, not moving.

SinB blows her whistle hard, and quickly attends to Sojung. The latter is still breathing, weak but at least she’s still breathing and SinB can release a sigh of relief.

While she tends to Sojung’s wound on her feet, Dahyun and Eunseo arrives

“How is she?”

“Breathing but we need to bring her back to the base camp quick” 

“Okay” Eunseo quickly grabs Sojung’s bagpack and wears it while Dahyun helps to place Sojung on SinB’s back. 

Seconds later, they started to walk back to their camping ground. 

 

When they arrived at the base camp, the skies already turn dark and ambulance is already waiting for them there.

Everyone is relieved when they see SinB carrying Sojung on her back, Yerin who’s walking back and forth runs towards them to see if Sojung is alright but Eunseo stops her from coming any closer. 

SinB carefully puts Sojung on the stretcher and the paramedics do a check up on Sojung before they pushes the stretcher into the ambulance

“Who’s coming?” One of the officer asks

“She will” Eunseo shouts pointing at SinB who’s trying to catch her breath

“You should go, Eunbi. You have wounds to tend” Dahyun says

“I will after I did this” SinB starts to walk towards Yerin and grabs the latter by her collar “I swear to God, Yerin. One more time and I’m going to kill you for real” Her eyes beaming with anger that she has been keeping inside for a long time. Dahyun has to pull SinB away before things get worse 

“Sojung, Eunbi. Sojung” She pushes SinB towards the ambulance to remind her there’s a much important person she needs to tend to. 

Inside the ambulance, SinB doesn’t let go of Sojung’s hand at all. She keeps on praying that Sojung will be okay. After knowing what Sojung is going through from her eavesdropping the other day at the ward, SinB couldn’t help but to worry. 

 

**

 

“Eunbi!” Eunseo shouts the moment she sees SinB walking towards their camping ground the next day.

Dahyun who’s dissembling the tent runs towards SinB with Eunseo.

“Why are you back?”

“Who’s taking care of Sojung?”

“Bona. I called her last night and she arrived this morning”

“Is Sojung awake?”

“She didn’t when I was with her. Probably she already is by now” And SinB suddenly pulls herself to a stop. Her eyes landed on Yerin who’s cleaning up her camping ground after she’s done dissembling her tent. Unconsciously, SinB forms a fist as she bites her lips, trying to keep her anger within herself. Dahyun who realizes it squeezes SinB’s shoulder, and shakes her head a little, her way of saying ‘it’s not even worth it’ to SinB. 

 

*****

 

When Sojung walks into the class after missing for 2 days, everyone keeps on asking her if she’s okay. Everyone except SinB. As usual, like she always is. Once school is over for the day, as if planned, the two are the last one in class, taking their time, slowly cleaning up their table waiting for the other to start the conversation.

“SinB...” Sojung knows there’s no way SinB will say anything to her first, so she takes the lead.

“Hmm?” SinB answers but her eyes are glued towards the outside scenery

“Thank you for saving me” 

“Welcome”

“And for the other day as well, I knew it was you who carried me to the clinic” 

“Emm” SinB nods. Come on SinB, lower down your ego. Talk to her will you.

“I just wanna say that” Sojung pushes her chair and stands up to wear her bag.

“Do you feel better now, Sojung?” SinB finally shows her face to Sojung, and their eyes locked.

“Emm” Sojung nods “Much better” 

SinB’s eyes leer on Sojung’s leg, the bandaid is almost peeling off yet the taller girl doesn’t even realizes it.

“Wait” SinB says as she ruffles through her bag and takes out the extra bandaid she always keep inside

“Your bandaid is peeling off” She explains when Sojung suddenly takes a step back 

“Ohh”

“Don’t move” SinB quickly changes the bandaids for Sojung before the latter can stops her 

“Done” She quickly stands up and tidy up her table to make things less awkward 

“Thanks...” 

But before SinB could say anything someo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter