Only One (WonB)

Gfriend Random Shot Series
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"So, what did you and my dad discussed just now?” Bona asks on their way to the hospital’s lobby

“What else would it be. The same old thing as always” Sojung answers before she takes a sip of her morning coffee 

“Let me guess, same answer as always coming from you?” 

Sojung nods and Bona can only sigh 

“You know why my dad keeps on asking you the same thing, right Sojung?”

“I know. He’s retiring soon. So what about it? You’re here for a reason, aren’t you?” 

“You do know that me alone isn’t a part of our plan right?” Bona grabs Sojung’s arm, pulling her into a stop “By our, I meant, you, me, my dad and YOUR dad” 

“I know, Jiyeon. I know. That’s a promise I made to my dad but I need more time...”

“It’s been a year Sojung. This place needs you. My dad needs you. I need you. If it’s not for us, do it for your dad, Sojung...”

Hearing that, a thousand different emotions start to engulf Sojung. Her dad was the reason why she wanted to be a doctor in the first place. But her dad was also the reason why, she didn’t want to be a doctor for the very first time. 

“You shouldn’t blame yourself too much about what happened that day Sojung. It wasn’t your fault, you know that. There’s nothing any of us can do”

Sojung knows... She already know the moment she saw her dad that day. There’s nothing she can do. But deep down inside, she knows, there’s thing she shouldn’t do, and if she didn’t, her dad might still be alive today.

“I know what you’re thinking Sojung. And no one is blaming you for that. We all know once your dad made up his mind, no one can stop him. Just, come back here soon, will you?”

Just when Sojung is about to answer Bona, someone bumps onto her, hard, causing both Sojung and the other to fall onto the floor. 

And they both groan in pain. 

“Ouch” 

“Watch where you’re going, will you?!” Bona raises her voice a bit to the person who bumped onto Sojung as she helps Sojung to stand up

“I’m okay, Jiyeon” Sojung assures Bona, signaling her friend not to get angry for no reason

“Hey, are you alright?” Sojung turns to the girl who is still on the floor as she lend a hand to help the latter to get on her feet. Getting a glimpse of the other’s face, that’s when she sees the other wipes her tears.

“I’m fine. Thank you” The latter reach out to Sojung’s helping hand “I’m sorry for causing you to fall, also for dirtying your suit” Her head down, feeling sorry “Here’s my card. Let me know how can I repay you. But I’m really sorry because I have to excuse myself” She bows before she starts running again towards her destination, seemingly in hurry. 

Looking at the card in her hand, Sojung couldn’t believe what she’s seeing.

*****

SinB walks towards the help desk to request warm water for her grandmother when she overheard two of the nurses there gossiping about someone.

“Hey Joy, did you hear?” The other nurses there, Yerin, starts the conversation 

“About what?”

“She’s back”

“She as in who?”

“Our late founder’s daughter. I saw her at the lobby this morning with our future CEO”

“Ahh... She’s probably just visiting though”

“Err, hello, she can do that outside of the hospital, don’t you think?”

“Err, I don’t see any problem of her meeting her friend here thou?” 

“Erghhh, it’s not a problem definitely but I’m just curious. Mainly because she actually had a meeting with our CEO this morning too”

“You should just stop being curious, Yerin. We all already know who’s going to be the next CEO of this hospital”

Before Yerin could continue to bombard Joy with her curiosity, Joy stops her, giving Yerin a sign that someone is here

“Hi, SinB! How may I help you today?”

Yerin just realizes that SinB has been standing there for quite sometimes 

“Can I get a new flask of warm water? My grandma wants to take her medicine” SinB vibes of a smile

“Yeah, sure. Do you need any other thing?”

“Nope, I’m good. Just warm water please”

“You sure?”

“Yes, why? Is there any other things that I might need?”

As she passes the new flask to SinB, Yerin gives an answer SinB doesn’t expected at all

“Yeah. Like my number?”

*****

“Hey, Sojung. Do you remember the girl who bumped onto you at the hospital last week?” Bona suddenly asks in the middle of their lunch

“If you asked me about her face, the answer is, I don’t”

“Yeah, I take that as a yes” 

“So, what about her?”

“Her grandmother is one of Luda’s patient” 

“Okay, and? I’m pretty sure Luda did great treating her”

“You bet. But that’s not the reason why I brought up this thing”

“Cut to the chase, Bona. I have to leave in 5 minutes”

“Turns out her grandmother can actually go home already but their financial doesn’t allow her to do so”

“And you’re telling me this, why?”

“Thought that you want to do your thing. You know, like what you always did for unfortunate people like them” Bona takes a sip of her drink before she really lets out what’s in her mind “But this time, with a catch. Maybe you can asked her to help you out, you know, for the deal you made with your mom”

“Ahhh... About that. I actually already had a planned”

“And what is it?”

“Thought of asking Luda to help me out. Don’t you think me and her would look so well together?” Sojung takes a glance at Bona to see how her friend reacted. Although not obvious to her, Sojung can somehow guesses 

 “Plus, it’ll be more convincing since both of us have known each other for a few years. I bet Luda doesn’t mind”

“She’s mine, Kim Sojung...”

“Says who? You haven’t even confessed to Luda though”

“I- I’m about to” Bona puts her spoon down but just as she’s about to continue speaking, someone interrupts 

“Confesses to me about what you two?” 

It’s Luda... 

Seeing her plans going on so well, Sojung wipes her lips with the wet tissue before she stands up, guiding Luda to take a sit at her place.

“Jiyeon has something she’s been meaning to tell you, Luda. I see you guys in a bit, gotta go!” Sojung quickly leaves the two alone. She’s actually glad Luda comes to the cafeteria and be her saving grace, although unplanned. 

*****

Sojung couldn’t believe what she’s about to do. What Bona said the other day got her thinking for days. Perhaps, she should just give it a try...

Stepping inside the studio, the smell of wet paints, and clays take over her sensory smells. She walks towards the reception desk to ask the whereabouts of the person name “Hwang Eunbi” in which the receptionist says she’ll let the latter’s know. While waiting, Sojung takes a moment to browse through all the animals sculptures at the viewing area. And they are absolutely amazing. It’s like you’re looking at a creature that is actually alive. 

“Hey, hi? Sojung is it?” Someone greets her from behind.

“H-hi” Sojung startles a little “Yeah, Sojung. Kim Sojung. And you’re Hwang Eunbi, right?” 

“Yes, you can just call me Eunbi” SinB invites Sojung for a sit at the sofa near them

“How did you know that I worked here?” 

Sojung takes out the business card SinB gave her the other day

“Ahh right. I forgot about that. I’m actually glad you came here, I went to the hospital a couple times hoping to see you there. I’m really sorry for what happened the other day” SinB still feels bad for ruining Sojung’s light pink suits the other day

“It’s alright” Sojung vibes off a smile to make SinB feels at ease “I heard your grandmother isn’t feeling well that day”

“H- how did you know?”

“Would you like to take a walk at the park outside? I have something to tell you” 

***

“My friend is the one who treated your grandmother, that’s how I know” Sojung explains once they both take a sit at the wooden bench nearby

“Ahh... Okay. But may I know where is this heading too?”

Sojung hesitates at first, unsure if it’s appropriate or not as this is her first time doing such thing. 

“I’m going to say sorry in advance but I have no means to offend you with what I’m about to say” Sojung takes a brief look at SinB before she goes straight to her point “I also came to know about your grandmother medical bills, I hope you don’t get me wrong here, and you don’t have to give me the answer right away, but just hear me out, will you?”

Getting a nod from SinB, Sojung continues 

“I’ll be willing to help you pay the medical bills, and you don’t have to pay me back the amount, but in return, would you like to pretend to be my partner for 6 months? by partner I mean, marrying me”

*****

Who would have thought, that this day would come. The day SinB agreed to be someone’s partner. Not only that, living together with someone else other than her family, even “better” with someone she barely know.  Once she settled down in her room, SinB decides to come out to have a look at Sojung’s apartment while Sojung is out. She’s too nervous to take a glance before when Sojung is around. 

Finally getting a proper look at the common area, the first thing that comes to her mind is that Sojung seems to be a modern minimalist if those terms exist. That or maybe this isn’t Sojung’s main home, judging from the lack of warmth touch of the area. But she could be wrong. Different people, different preferences. Despite that, there’s one corner that attracts SinB, the place where Sojung keeps her books, neat and tidy. Probably the warmest area out of all.

SinB is so into browsing all the books, she doesn’t even realize that Sojung is already back, only to get caught off guard when Sojung greets her. 

“Getting yourself comfortable?” SinB is startled by Sojung’s sudden greets that causes the latter to release a chuckle. 

“Uhh- Yes. I see you have a lot of medical based books. Perhaps, are you a doctor?” SinB tries to change the topic. Instead of answering, Sojung vibes off a smile and invites SinB to have a sit at the sofa.

“What’s this for?” SinB asks pointing towards the blank piece of paper and a pen in front of her.

“Thought that we could set up some do’s and don’ts plus a few rules that both of us need to respect and follow. You know, since we don’t know each other that well, respecting each other’s boundaries and privacy should be our main concern” 

“Wait, by rules, you mean anything?”

Sojung nods 

“Anything. As long as it’s doable”

“Okay. But before that, I have just one question, is this your main home or??”

“Why do you asked?”

“Just... My feelings. Because it doesn’t seems like you lived here”

“Well, guess you’re wrong but not totally. I lived here just that I don’t come home frequently” 

“Wait, doesn’t that imply you have a different home then?”

“Not home. My lab. I usually stayed in my lab all night, comes home just to freshen myself up and back to work soon after”

“May I know why?” 

“Just- It’s just my way of not feeling lonely, I guess” Sojung shrugs before she continues her writing 

**

“Done?” Sojung asks the moment SinB puts her pen down. SinB replies with a tiny nod and passes Sojung the paper. It takes some time for Sojung to finish reading the list, although not long, she still needs to read and understand all of them fully. 

“Okay. Go ahead and do whatever you want in the list. I’m fine with all of them” She says that catches SinB by surprise. 

“That’s it? You’re sure there’s nothing you want to refute?” SinB takes a look at the list she just made. She deadly thought that Sojung will deny some of her requests. 

Sojung shakes her head.

“I’m really fine with all of them” Sojung smiles assuring SinB that she’s really fine with the lists given to her “Yours are doable. But I’m not sure about mine” She says as she slides her list to SinB which surprises SinB once again.

“Just one?” 

“Emm... Just one” Sojung answers firmly.

“Okay. I’ll do it. But- Can I ask you why?” 

“That- I’ll let you know once the right time comes” 

*****

“You made me realize that my apartment is really lacking” Sojung is struggling to push the cart that is getting heavier. The two of them go out to shop for their household items, stocking up their daily needs. From late night snacks, fruits, meats and juices, to table lamp, frames and sofa pillow, pretty much SinB fills their cart with lots of different items. Sojung seems not to mind about it since re-decorating the apartment is on top of SinB’s list and she agreed with it.

“Guess we do have one thing in common” Sojung says when her eyes get caught by one item in the cart

“And that is?”

“This” Sojung takes out the Krave cereal box from the cart and shows it to SinB

“Huh, I guess one box won’t be enough then” SinB runs back to the aisle next to them and grabs another box before she returns 

“What time are you leaving for work tomorrow?” SinB asks

“6:30. Why? You?” 

“Around that time too. Guess we’re eating Krave for breakfast then” SinB shakes the Krave box she’s holding

“I’ll drop you off at your office after than then” 

SinB nods, agreeing with Sojung’s suggestion.

Looking at the cart that is almost full, Sojung starts to tease “I have another hand empty, should I get another cart?” 

SinB fixes her eyes on the cart and finally realized she might have went overboard with the shopping, she grins

“My bad. I should start choosing which one we need the most then” SinB says as she starts to browse through the cart trying to choose which one should stay and which should go back on their aisle.

But she’s put to a stop when a warm hand suddenly grabs hers

“I’m just joking, Eunbi” 

Feeling the electricity that suddenly runs in her veins, Sojung removes her hand immediately 

“Let’s find other things that we need” Sojung quickly pushes the cart and walks away without looking back, as she tries to hide her pink-red cheeks

**

SinB leaves Sojung for a while and runs back towards the churros shop she saw when they walked into the store. After getting two cream cheese churros, she walks back to Sojung whose eyes are wondering around the area, probably looking for her. She smiles to Sojung when their eyes meet but Sojung seems to ignore her, even when she waves to the latter, Sojung doesn’t even bother to return it. Getting closer to Sojung, she calls the latter out but instead of responding, she sees Sojung closing her eyes, facing down on the floor.

Once she stands right next to Sojung, she holds Sojung’s hand, tightly, just like what Sojung requested. 

Only then, Sojung opens her eyes and looks back at SinB 

“Where have you been?” She asks

“Went back there to buy these” SinB shows the brown paper bag with churros inside it to Sojung.

“Are you okay, Sojung?” She asks as she passes one of the churros to Sojung

“Hmm? I’m fine. Why do you asked?”

“Uh- Nothing” 

*****

“What are you doing?” Sojung asks SinB who’s busy making something in the kitchen. She’s awaken with the rustling sounds that come from the kitchen so early in the morning. It’s already their 2nd weekend but having someone else in her apartment somehow still feels weird.

“Breakfast. Sunny sides up and sausages works for you?” SinB asks while she sets up the plates.

Sojung yawns while nodding. She brushes her eyes with her fingers, only then she gets a proper look of SinB outfits.

“You’re going somewhere?”

“Ahhh. I’m going to the hospital today”

Sojung’s expression quickly changes.

“Why? Are you sick?” She quickly touches SinB forehead and neck with the back of her hand, which causes SinB to take a step backward taking aback by Sojung sudden action.

“No. I’m okay. My grandma has an appointment today” She takes a deep breath trying to tone down her pink cheeks

“What time is her appointment?” Sojung asks taking a bite of the sausages 

“At 10am. But I’ve to pick her up at her home first, that’s why I wake up early”

Looking at the clock, it’s 7:15am, Sojung quickly cleans up her plate and put it in the dishwasher.

“Give me 10 minutes. I’ll drive you there”

But before Sojung could run towards her room, SinB stops her

“Wa-wait. I’ve already called a cab to pick me up”

“I’ll pay the driver once he arrived” Sojung says before she’s out of SinB’s sight.

*****

“I never thought that you’re gonna agree with Jiyeon’s idea, Sojung” Sojung who is settling Grandma Hwang’s medical bill is startled by Luda who comes out of nowhere.

“Desperate situation, desperate measures, Luda” She answers while making the payment

“I’d have already given up if I were you”

“I wish I can. But you know I can’t” Done paying the bills, Sojung focuses her attention to Luda “You and Jiyeon doing well?” 

“I can’t believe it took a year for her to confess to me”

They both chuckle 

“Yeah. She’s just unsure how you feel about her. That’s why” Looking at her watch, it’s almost 1pm and she realizes that SinB and her grandmother haven’t had their lunch yet “I’ve to go. Maybe we can go out for double date later?” 

“Sounds fun. Come, I’ll walk you to them” 

“Thanks Luda”

“Yeahh... Anytime Sojung” 

**

“Thanks for today” SinB breaks the silence on their ride back home 

“Anytime” Sojung smiles “Your grandma must be really surprised seeing me” 

“A little. But she’s too happy seeing me with someone”

“Why? You never introduce anyone to her before?”

“As a friend, yes. As my partner, no”

“Ahhh. I’m glad that I make her happy” Smile still lurks on Sojung’s lips

“Anyway, how did you and Dr. Luda know each other?” SinB asks out of curiosity 

“We both go way back. Plus, she’s my bestfriend’s girlfriend”

“Ahhh really” 

“What’s up with that tone?” 

“Don’t you think there’s so much that we don’t know about each other?”

“I know. And what about it?” Sojung suddenly feels like teasing the person right next to her.

“Tsk. How am I supposed to pretend to be your partner and convince your mom when I meet her later if I don’t know anything about you?” 

Hearing the word mom, Sojung becomes silent once again, smile fades.

“I bet she doesn’t even care” Sojung whispers to herself

“I’m sorry. You’re saying?” 

“Uhh- nothing.You’re right” Sojung fakes a smile “Today, I’ll introduce a part of me to you. Tomorrow, it’s your turn. Deal?” 

“Okay”

*****

“Good evening Miss Sojung” The receptionist greets her “What brings you here today? I thought you’re taking your days off this weekend?” 

“Evening Mina. Just showing my partner around” Sojung introduces SinB to the other before the both of them continue to walk around the area. SinB is in awed from the moment she first stepped inside the building. The place Sojung is working at seems much more fun compared to hers. There’s an area for people to take a nap, play games, they even have an arcade at the corner, not to mention the bar that always play upbeat musics and the cafe for people to hangout at. The best part, all are free for those who works there. 

“How was it? This place is kinda cool, don’t you think?” Sojung asks as she brings SinB to another floor 

“It certainly is. Must be fun working here” 

Sojung only smiles in return.

“Anyway, does everyone here know each other?” 

Sojung nods “Yeap. Compulsory. We all are in a team anyway”

Walking into Sojung’s office, SinB is caught by surprise once again.

“Wa-wait. Am I seeing things or?” She points towards the label on Sojung’s desk

Kim Sojung - CEO

“Why? I don’t look like one?” Sojung releases a tiny laugh “You’re not seeing things, Eunbi. Let me introduce myself then” She walks towards SinB and lays her hand out “Hi. I’m Kim Sojung. KSJ tech CEO” 

For the first time, SinB sees a different side of Sojung. The sometimes sweet, sometimes sloppy, sometimes nonchalant Sojung she sees back at home, isn’t the person who’s standing in front of her now. Stepping into Sojung’s lab is a whole new world to SinB. No wonder Sojung rarely comes home. Sojung’s office and lab do feel like home even to SinB. 

“What’s that?” She points towards an electronic hand on one of the bench 

“My very first invention when I started working here” She brings it to SinB

“Ahhh arm prosthetic?” 

“With a twist. Watch this”

“Hey T” Sojung suddenly calls out someone

“Hi Sojung” SinB is surprise when she finds out the one who answers Sojung is the electronic arm Sojung is holding

“I’m with someone today” 

“Who is it? Bona?” 

“Nahhh. Bona is too busy with her girlfriend. I’m here with mine. Her name is Eunbi” 

SinB blush a little when Sojung introduces her as her girlfriend, although yeahh, she might not really meant it.

“Hi Eunbi. I’m T. I hope Sojung is treating you well” 

“Would you like to guess which one is me which one is her, T?” 

“Sure. Why not?” 

Not understanding what Sojung is doing, SinB raises her eyebrows. 

“Just do what I do” Sojung whispers to SinB

“Okay T. This is person 1” Sojung holds T’s hand 

“And this is person 2” Sojung gives a signal to SinB to do the same.

Now that they both are done, Sojung asks T to guess 

“Which one is Eunbi’s?” 

“Person 2 is Eunbi’s” 

“Are you sure?”

“I’m never wrong, Sojung” 

“Tsk... Fine fine. Thanks to me” 

“But- but, how did you know, T?” SinB asks

“Easy. The way you hold my hand is different than Sojung’s. Your hand feels warmer too compared to her. Unlike Sojung, yours fit perfectly with mine too. For the very first time, I found someone who’s hand fit perfectly with mine. Probably because-“ 

“Okay T. That’s it for today” Sojung cuts T out before she turns the latter off. Sojung wants to bring SinB to a different place but SinB stops her 

“How did T do that?”

“Do what? Guessed which one is you which one is me?”

SinB nods

“T mentioned it before. The way you hold T’s hand is different than me. Not just me, but with everyone’s else’s. You see, T can only recognize people by 2 ways, it’s either by voice or by touch. When you lack one ability, your other senses started to work even better. That’s what T just did” 

*****

“What are we doing here?” Sojung who is still having a hard time opening her eyes asks the moment SinB parks the car 

“I’m introducing a part of me to you” SinB smiles “Wear this, you’re gonna need it” SinB passes a coat to Sojung. Well, of course Sojung is gonna need it, it’s 5 in the morning for God sake.

When they both get out of the car, SinB passes Sojung a warm can of coffee “And you’re gonna need this too. I don’t think you’d be able to go hiking with that sleepy eyes of yours”

“Wa-wait what?? Hi-hiking?” Sojung’s eyes are suddenly wide open.

“Uhuh” SinB nods “Come on. It’s not that long” SinB starts to walk along the hiking path. Although she hates it, Sojung still follows since it was her who suggested them both to introduce each other even more the other day.

“Hey, are you alright?” SinB who just comes back with coffees that she buys from the parlor asks Sojung who keeps on rubbing her eyes but Sojung continues to ignore her. Remembering the only one rule Sojung told her the other day, SinB put down the cup of coffee onto the staircase they are sitting at, and she immediately reaches to Sojung’s hand and hold it tight, giving it a little squeeze. 

Sojung responds by tightening her grips on SinB’s hand and only then she answers SinB’s question 

“I’m alright. My eyes aren’t use to waking up this early on weekend” She gives her excuses

“Well, if you want to know more about me, perhaps you’ve got to get used to it” SinB says while passing a cup of coffee to Sojung

“Don’t tell me you have already planned another hiking trip to bring me with next weekend too?” 

Seeing that not-so-happy-sleepy expression on Sojung’s face, SinB releases a tiny laughter 

“Nahhh. There’s so much thing to do other than hiking you know” She takes a sip of the coffee “I’m sorry for dragging you here today. It’s been a while since I last came here. But, answer me honestly, don’t you think the view right now is worth it?” SinB averts her gaze towards the morning scenery in front of them. The sun is slowly rising, turning the green canvas in front of them a lil bit yellowish from time to time, a time laps that are never ending.

“Honestly, it is” Sojung answers short before the both of them continue to enjoy the scenery in silence.

 

“Where are we going now?” Sojung asks 

“Breakfast. Aren’t you hungry?” 

Sojung wants to say no because she wants to go home and continue sleeping but her stomach answers SinB’s question sooner than her.

“Breakfast it is” SinB smiles as she steps on the pedal

 

“1 abalone cream pasta and 1 hamburg steaks, please” SinB sends in her order without the need to look at the menu

“You’ve been here before?” 

“Nope. I did my research. They say this place serves the best western foods and the ones that I just ordered are their best sellers” SinB explains “I figured you’re gonna like this place with your westernized taste bud”

Sojung couldn’t hide her smile when she hears what SinB just says. 

“Someone has been studying me it seems” 

“Your face tells me everything” SinB returns the smile “You ate that simple scramble egg and sausages breakfast more deliciously than the time I made you the seaweed fried rice”

“Don’t get me wrong. It’s not that the our food isn’t good. It’s just nowadays I find myself enjoying western food much more” She yawns as soon as she explains her sudden change of taste bud to SinB

“You sleep late last night, didn’t you?” 

SinB knows because when she woke up in the middle of the night to get herself a cup of warm water, she saw lights beaming from Sojung’s bedroom. 

Sojung nods, stretches her hands a couple times to awaken herself up.

“New idea seems to always running in my head in the middle of the night and I can’t simply ignore them” 

“What new invention you’re planning next?” SinB asks, however, before Sojung could answer, they are interrupted by the waiter who comes with their breakfast.

Seeing the food that both smells and looks good in front of her, Sojung seemingly forgetting to answer SinB’s question as she indulge herself with the food while they are still warm.

*****

“Ahh... Here you are...” Someone takes a sit right next to Sojung, feeling the same warmth from the hand that’s holding hers, Sojung knows who that person is.

“I thought you’re supposed to come home on Monday from Switz?” SinB asks.

She’s surprised when her grandmother shouted her name this afternoon from her cribs saying someone is here and when she came out, seeing Sojung after being left alone for almost a week, she found herself running towards the latter and immediately pulled Sojung into a hug. An unexpected action that turned their cheeks pink. 

“I couldn’t break the promise I made to your grandmother the other day, that’s why I tried to settle everything as soon as I can and here I am” 

SinB could see the tiredness in Sojung’s eyes although the latter tries to hide it with a smile.

That moment, a sudden thought come across SinB’s mind. She realizes Sojung is really charming the more she gets to know Sojung. Sojung never once break her promises no matter how busy or tired she is, and Sojung is always there when SinB needs help with something.

 

“Hey, SinB! Where’s the usb?” One of her coworkers asks while setting up the laptop for their pitching. 

And of course, out of all days, today is the day she forgets to bring that damn usb.

“Ohhhhh damn. I might’ve left it on my table back at home” SinB smacks her head 

“How far is your home? Will you be able to make it in time? We’re the first one presenting and it’s in 40 mins”

SinB shakes her head, she knows she won’t make it if she goes back now. It takes at least an hour roundtrip.

“Anyone at your home then?”

That’s when SinB remembers that Sojung is taking the morning off because she stayed up the whole night reviewing. But SinB feels bad asking for Sojung’s help, she must be in her deep sleep now.

Not having any other ways, SinB tri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter