Love Rain (UmB)

Gfriend Random Shot Series
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s suddenly raining heavily. Just a few minutes ago the sun is shining brightly, the pavement is dried, the surroundings are colorful, yet now all turns wet, dark and gloomy even though the clock just struck 5. 

It’s finally time for SinB to head home as she’s done with her work, and so she grabs her small black umbrella that she keeps in the drawer before heading out towards the bus stop just a few blocks away. Taking her first step onto the wet pavement, SinB releases a very deep sigh because she hates it when the rain causes the dirts to stuck to her shoes and the brim of her pants. And also she hates it when she had to be cautious of the pavement, having to avoid the water pools here and there and she also has to be wary of the car on the road that will simply drive over the woater pools causing a splash to the side walk. Pretty much she hates the rain most of the time and the only time she doesn’t hate it is when she’s crying because no one can see her tears if she stands in the rain. 

As she comes closer to the bus stop, she’s reminded again on why she hates the rain. The bus stop will be crowded with people who forget to bring their umbrella with them. But lucky for her, she can just stand a bit further using her umbrella as her shelter.

Perhaps, the rain heard her. SinB’s non stop complain that is. Because that day, no one knows, no one, including her, will ever thought that her heart, might have just found the one to be loved.

The girl with the red umbrella...

 

*****

 

Once SinB arrives at her apartment, she immediately goes to her room, takes a shower and changes her clothes to avoid herself from getting sick because of the weather. Not having the mood to eat a heavy dinner, SinB takes out a carton of milk from the fridge and a box of chocolate cereals from the food cabinet. While she’s pouring the milk into the bowl that is half filled with the cereal, her mind got distracted a bit by the girl she saw at the bus stand this evening. 

SinB isn’t sure what about the girl that caught her eyes, whether it’s her red umbrella that makes her stands out in the crowds of black and dark blue umbrella, or the smile that crept on the latter’s lips every time the rain drops on her hand that she purposely laid out in the rain. Opposite of her, the girl she saw in the rain just then, seems to be enjoying the rain even more than the little kid she once used to be. 

Perhaps, that’s why the rains keep on falling. Because there will always be someone, somewhere, who’s waiting for it to drops, just to be able to smile again.

SinB is only brought back to reality when she feels something dripping on her toes. Yeap, the milk carton she’s holding is now fully empty and she’s gotten a table full of milk instead. She quickly grabs the kitchen towels and clean up the mess she did, letting out a tiny chuckles as she finds herself amusing for getting distracted by someone she just saw this evening.

 

*****

 

“Girl, how did you pull that out in just one night?” Dahyun stops by SinB’s cubicle in the office with coffees in both her hands, each, and she gives one to SinB.

“Thanks for the coffee and pull what in one night exactly?” SinB ends her question with a sip of the freshly brewed coffee.

“The red umbrella ideas. Chief couldn’t stop talking about it in the meeting just now and she keeps on bombarding us with ideas one after another”

“Ahhh, that’s nothing. Glad that she likes it” SinB couldn’t stop smiling. Not because of her idea is accepted by her boss but it’s because she’s reminded about the red umbrella girl she saw yesterday. 

“I have a feeling you have something that you’re hiding” Dahyun smiles slyly “Finally falling?” It’s not always she sees her best friend smiling like the one she’s seeing right now. Well, perhaps never? Knowing SinB since 6 years ago when they both were just a two lost kid at the university till today, the smile that’s forming on the latter’s lips looks somewhat a bit different than the one she saw before. And connecting with the girl in the red umbrella idea that SinB proposed to their boss this morning, Dahyun can somewhat guess that her best friend might have finally found the one she’s looking for. 

“Remember what I said back then? The one about not wanting to face a heartbreak?” SinB changes her gaze from outside of the window towards Dahyun

“You keep on talking about it almost everytime whenever I tried to put you up on a blind date, of course I remember” 

“Well, I might have to eat my own words though. I really don’t mind facing my first heartbreak with this one but I certainly hope that I won’t”

 

*****

 

That day as well, SinB can’t wait to finish her work just like yesterday so that she can catch the girl she sees at the bus stand yesterday. They both hop on the same bus but the girl went down 3 stops earlier than her if she remembered correctly. Well, not that SinB wanted to start a conversation with the girl if she sees her today, she wanted to see her again just to see if her heart will still feel the same thing. 

As soon as the clock struck at 5, SinB hurriedly clock out and head towards the bus stand, running. If her judgment is correct, the girl should be at the bus stand by the time she gets there. But, turns out, she’s wrong. Even when the bus they got on yesterday has arrived, the girl she’s waiting for is still not there. SinB even purposely missed the bus and wait for the second one that arrives 15 minutes later and the sight of the person she’s waiting is nowhere to be seen. 

Could it be because it’s not raining?

 

*****

 

And as absurd as it sounds, that night and the next morning SinB keeps on praying so that the day will rain particularly in the evening. And once in a blue moon, her prayer has been answered when the cloud start to turn grey, and the sky turns darker before the night even started. Her very first time, smiling, as she steps into the rain. And the smile gets bigger, the closer she walks towards the bus stand, when the red color she’s looking for becomes more vibrant.

The girl with the red umbrella is here. Along with the same bright smile SinB saw the other day. And that moment, SinB is sure, her heart tugs for a reason.

Being a different version of herself, this time, SinB decides to get off the bus at the same stop as the red umbrella girl. She walks a few meters behind so that the girl doesn’t feels like she’s being followed and it seems like the girl doesn’t even know that she’s being followed based on her behavior who’s walking as if she’s dancing in the rain. Not long after that, the girl enters a cafe right at the corner. SinB stands outside of the cafe for a while, trying to see whether the girl will come back out a few moments later but she didn’t. Only when SinB steps inside the warm homey cafe, she finds out why - The red umbrella girl is working as a barista over there. 

SinB’s legs freeze at the entrance when the girl is looking straight at her, with a smile, she never thought she’ll ever get. 

“Welcome to 7 days cafe” The voice that awaken SinB up from her dream that makes her to start walking towards the counter. Her heart continues to pump even faster.

“Hiiii, can I get you anything?” The sweet voice that is this close to make SinB’s heart bursts and she’s still in daze looking at the red umbrella girl who is now the barista standing in front of her

“Err, hello? Miss? Can I get you anything to drink?” The barista waves her hand to get SinB’s attention 

“Oh, hey, hi...” SinB feels embarrassed “Err, hmm... Can I get a hot chocolate with one chocolate croissant?”

“Yes, you sure can. Do you want the croissants warm or the way it is?”

“Warm would be great”

“Alright. And your name is?”

“Eunbi. Hwang Eunbi” 

When SinB is making the payment she suddenly finds her missing courage to ask the barista girl

“And your name is?”

The barista girl let out a tiny chuckle and return SinB’s question with a smile instead as she gives back SinB’s credit card

“I’ll call you back when your orders are ready, Miss Hwang” And she starts making SinB’s hot chocolate leaving SinB’s questions unanswered

A few minutes later, the barista girl calls her name and after getting her drink, SinB takes a sit near the window, fixing her gaze towards the outside scenery. SinB finds it amazing how her heart changes in a couple of second, how she changes from someone who’s soo afraid of getting a heartbreak to someone who’s suddenly being straightforward in getting to know a stranger. This is so unlike her. 

Her eyes later wander around the cafe loving the aesthetic from every corner of it. The cream white paint of the interior calms her mind, helping her to forget that it’s dark and gloomy outside.

As she’s looking around the cafe, she could feel there is a set of eyes that are spying on her. And when her eyes land on hers, the latter immediately changes he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter