Something Useless (WonB)

Gfriend Random Shot Series
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Let’s break up, Sojung...” The first thing that comes out of SinB’s mouth the moment they meet at the practice room 

“You’re just joking around with me right, Eunbi?” Sojung doesn’t want to accept the reality that it’s really happening 

“I’m not. Let’s break up and don’t see each other anymore” 

*****

“Yahhhh Kim Sojung! What are you doing in the rain?! You’re gonna fall sick!” Jiyeon comes out running from their house with an umbrella and a towel towards Sojung. She quickly wraps Sojung inside the towel and that’s when she hears Sojung’s sobbing.

“Hey, Sojung? Are you alright? Did something happen between you and SinB?” 

“We broke up, Jiyeon...” Sojung lifted her face, her eyes red

“What? Why? I thought things are going well between you two?”

“I thought the same thing too...”

 

“At least, let me know why, Eunbi...” Sojung grabs SinB’s hand, stopping the latter from walking away

“I think you already know why” SinB loosens her hand from Sojung’s possessions 

“Eunha?”

SinB keeps her silence 

“I’ve told you, countless of times, Eunha is just a long time friends of mine”

“That you once harbored a feeling for. No. Not once. It seems like you still are”

“Eunbi-”

“How can I keep on loving you if you’re still in love with her?”

“I don’t anymore, Eunbi. Trust me. I don’t” Sojung tries to hold SinB hand but the latter takes a step back.

“People talked behind me. How different our life are. They even said I pretended to love you just so that I can benefit from it. But you know what, those don’t hurt me as much as seeing the two of you together did” 

“I’ve told you, Eunbi. The only reason why I did those thing with Eunha is because-“

“You owed her, for helping you to be who you’re today” SinB cuts off Sojung’s words “I know, Sojung. I know. That’s why I only keep it within myself. When I saw the two of you together, I kept on telling myself “Ahh...It’s nothing, Eunbi. Sojung can at least do that much for the person she owes her life too” every single time” Her words deepened “I needed you too, Sojung, but you weren’t there for me when I needed you to be”

“I’m sorry Eunbi. You can leaned on me, anytime, always, you know that” Sojung tries to plead 

“How can I, Sojung? How can I when you, yourself aren’t that stable? When you doesn’t even know whom to prioritize?” SinB bites her lips, as she forms a fist “You once told me that it’s okay to only think about myself and I’m doing it now... Loving you hurts, Sojung. I don’t think I can do it anymore...”

***

“Eunha, can we meet?”

 

“Let’s stop seeing each other” 

“What? No!" Eunha refuses "You agreed to help me win the competition, Sojung. You agreed to play the piano for me”

“No matter whom your pianist is, winning the competition is up to your skills. I’m sorry, Eunha. I can’t do it anymore”

“Tch" Eunha scoffs "Is this because of SinB?” 

Sojung forms a fist

“That girl doesn’t appreciate you enough, Sojung. You’re gonna keep on chasing her?”

“That’s where you’re wrong. She’s the only one who appreciates me, who thinks of my feelings above hers yet I keep on hurting her because of you. I’m not gonna do that to her anymore. So let’s stop seeing each other...”

 

******************

 

“So? How does it feels finally back to your hometown?” Jiyeon asks as she drives Sojung around. It has been 3 years since Sojung left, getting herself into a new world, creating her name in a whole new profession that people know her as right now. 

“Nothing. I feel nothing” Sojung answers, her eyes still on a lookout of the surroundings. To be honest, she doesn’t want to come back. There’s no reason why she should. To her, this place is a painful dream. A dream she doesn’t want to remember. 

“You’re gonna travel again after your job here is done?” 

“Emm...As always. There are so many places I want to visit still. You should come with me sometimes” 

“Yahh, you want Luda to kill me? She can’t be apart from me for even a day” 

“Tsk... Luda or you?” And they both laugh at each other

“Dinner at my place tonight? Luda is eager to meet you after so long”

“Even if you don’t invite me, that’s where I’m going tonight” 

 

*****

 

SinB is taking a break from writing when someone knocks on her door

“Come in” 

And Dahyun shows her face at the door

“What is it Dahyun?”

“You didn’t forget your meeting with Mr. Soo from Hyun publisher in an hour, didn’t you?” 

“Ohhhh damn it. I almost forgot about it. Yikess” SinB quickly cleans up her desk, put her notebook inside her bag and she grabs her coat before she runs out of her office 

“I owed you lunch. Thanks for reminding me, Dahyun!” SinB shouts as she quickens her steps. It’s finally the day she gets to meet the photographer for her new book. Her first collaboration with someone outside of the writing world.

 

“Sorry for keeping you waiting, Miss Hwang” Mr. Soo walks in with someone following him from behind

“It’s okay, Mr. Soo” SinB stands up to greet him and also the photographer.

As if a thunder just hits her, SinB freezes the moment her eyes meet the others

“Ahh. Let me introduce you two. Miss Hwang, Kim Sojung, the photographer I told you about. Miss Kim, Hwang Eunbi, the writer for the book that we’re going to publish soon” 

The two keep on staring at each other, in silence. Mr. Soo who’s dumbfounded by the reaction he’s gotten tries to break it

“Err... You two knew each other?”

“No” Sojung answers firmly, before SinB can say anything “We don’t. This is the first time we meet. I hope we can work well with each other, Miss Hwang” Sojung lays out her hand waiting for SinB to grab

“Looking forward to work with you too, Miss Kim” SinB grabs Sojung’s hand and hold it firmly.

 

Would this become another nightmare for the two or a dream they both want to stay in, perhaps forever?

 

***

 

SinB is trying to get a hold of a taxi when a red mini cooper stops by the road side in front of her.

When the owner rolls down the window, and shows herself, SinB can only think of one thing to do. 

To run away...

“Come in, Eunbi. I’ll drop you off at your office”  Sojung offers “I’ve something to say to you as well, if you don’t mind” And by the look of it, doesn’t seems like she’ll accept a no as an answer.

It takes SinB a while before she agrees to have a ride with Sojung. And not gonna lie, the ride, is suffocating. To both of them...

“If you aren’t comfortable with me being the photographer, you should let me know right now, Eunbi” Sojung blurts out what she’s been meaning to say “I’ve other offers to take aside from this one, so I really don’t mind” Sojung makes half a lie. She does have a lot of offers waiting for her but none are as attractive as this project she gets herself in. 

“Did you know?” 

“About what?”

“Me being the author?”

Sojung shakes her head

“Would you accept it if you know?” SinB lays out a trap. 

Sojung doesn’t answer her and the rest of their journey are filled only with the voice of the DJ and the songs being played by the radio. 

Only when they arrive at SinB’s office, Sojung gives her answer 

“The old me won’t accept the offer if I knew you’re the author. But the new me, would. Because to the current me, you’re Hwang Eunbi, the best-selling author, someone I don’t have a memory off, a complete stranger. That’s my plan, to treat you as who you’re today, till the project ends” 

 

***

 

“Waitttt what??!” Yuna almost chocked on herself while drinking her milk “Kim Sojung? The Sojung I knew? The pianist Kim Sojung?” 

“Emm... That Sojung” SinB takes a pillow to cover her face and she let out a scream

“So? Are you gonna continue the project or?” Yuna asks as she takes a sit right next to SinB

“I- I don’t know” She lets out a deep sigh

“What about her? Did Sojung say anything?”

“She told me the old her won’t do it but the Sojung I met today will”

“Err, I don’t get it? What’s the difference? Isn’t she still the same?”

“No” SinB shakes her head a little “The new her doesn’t have any memory off me. To her, I’m Hwang Eunbi the author, not the Hwang Eunbi she once fell in love with”

 

It hurts. Maybe a little too much when Sojung told her that she’s just a complete stranger. Someone she doesn’t have any memory off. Although she knew Sojung is definitely lying, but it still hurts. Yet she can’t blame Sojung for it. She’s the one who broke their relationship, she’s the one who run away without letting Sojung to explain. Maybe a fresh start is all they needed.

 

*****

 

“Wait, Sojung?” 

“Hmm?”

“Where are we going? I thought we’re supposed to take the left turn towards the highway to go to that place?” SinB asks after Sojung makes a sudden right turn 

“Ahh. Jiyeon told me there’s a cafe that serve the best hot chocolate in town over here. Thought of giving it a try. Besides, I haven’t gotten my breakfast yet. Have you?” Sojung asks while her eyes keep a lookout of the surroundings trying to locate the cafe

“I haven’t” SinB shakes her head

“Nicee” She says, taking another right turn before she parks her car at the sideways.

 

***

 

“One hot chocolate and almond croissant for me” And then Sojung looks at SinB waiting for the latter to make her order

“Iced americano for me” 

“Is that all?” The barista asks 

“Can you get us one tuna sandwich too?”

Sojung adds on to their order and she makes the payment

“You should find us a sit. I’ll bring everything later” Sojung tells SinB and the latter nods.

A few moments later, Sojung comes holding a tray with their drinks and breakfast.

Sojung gives SinB her iced americano along with the sandwich.

“We have a long day ahead. You should eat something at least”

 

“Eh? Isn’t she The Kim Sojung?”

“Wait? What?”

“She is. That’s Kim Sojung!”

“What is she doing here?”

Words Sojung hears as she continue running towards their campus’s clinic. And she basically hears the same thing inside the clinic as she tries to locate the room SinB is in.

“Sojung?” Yuna who comes out at the right time sees Sojung taking a peek inside every room in the hallway 

“Ahh. Yuna! Where’s Eunbi?”

“In here” Yuna points towards the room she just came out from

“Thanks!” In a split second, Sojung is out of Yuna’s sight

“That was fast-” SinB says, assuming Yuna is the one who comes in but realizing it’s not her when she’s suddenly inside someone’s embrace 

“So- Sojung?”

“Hi Eunbi” Sojung loosens her hug

“What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be at your recital?”

“I still have some times to kill before my turn” Sojung takes a sit on the bed 

“I’m fine, Sojung. You should go now”

“Nope. Not gonna go there yet”

“Can you stop being so stubborn for once?”

“I could say the same thing to you, Eunbi. How many times have I told you not to skip breakfast?” Sojung shakes her head, she takes out a brown paper bag from her backpack and gives it to SinB.

SinB can only let out a sigh. She can’t win a losing argument. 

“I’ll go back to my recital with two conditions”

“And what are they?”

“You take a bite of the chocolate croissant”

“And?”

“Eat that first and I tell you the second one after that”

“Okay done. What’s the second one?” SinB says a minute later after she’s done taking a bite of the croissant and a sip of the orange juice Sojung got her

“This” Sojung crashes her lips with SinB’s for a short seconds “I’ll see you after my recital ends. Love you” Sojung steals another kiss before she runs back to her recital

 

“You’re still the same” Sojung whispers to herself

“Hmm?” SinB asks, notices Sojung is mumbling something, wondering if it’s for her

“Hmm what?” Realizing the slips of the tongue she just did, Sojung pretends not saying anything 

“Nothing. Thought I heard you saying something to me” 

 

*****

 

“So, how was your first day working with her?” Jiyeon asks during their dinner

“It was okay” Sojung answers before taking a bite of the grilled t-bone steaks 

“That’s it?”

“Why? You expected more?”

“Duhh?” Jiyeon shrugs “Not a trip down the memory lane or something?” 

Sojung shakes her head and continues eating 

“I find it amazing you know” 

“What?”

“How the two of you ended up in a completely different path than what you both started as”

Sojung can only smirks. Jiyeon’s words can be interpreted in two different ways. Their relationship or their careers. It works for both.

“Also, I’m just curious” Jiyeon puts down her utensils “You could back-off from the offer the moment you knew the author is her. Why didn’t you?” Jiyeon can actually guessed why but she thought of hearing it from Sojung herself although she knows Sojung won’t give her a direct answer 

“I could at least do that much for her. The things I often overlooked when we both were together”

 

“Why- Why can’t you be my accompanist?” The starting point of their first big fight

“Eunbi, I’ve told you, the school only allows me to choose one candidate”

“And you choose her... over me” 

“Eunbi, I-”

“Why? Is it because she’s at a higher rank than me? Because she’s a well-known violist and I’m not?” SinB is on the verge of broken down 

“I’ve told you, that has nothing to do with it” If ranking is the reason, she’d still choose SinB over anyone else

“Then what? Because you don’t want to torn your reputation? Suddenly playing the piano for people like me?” 

“Eunbi, no. You know that’s not the reason”

“Then what?”

But before Sojung could answer, a student knocks on the door signaling it’s his time to use the practice room. Not waiting for Sojung’s answer, SinB leave the practice room quickly and disappears from Sojung’s sights.

 

“She still didn’t know about it right Sojung?” Jiyeon asks on their way back home

“Know about what?” Sojung averts her attention to Jiyeon

“The reason why you choose to play for Eunha instead of her back then”

“Nope. She didn’t know” Sojung shakes her head “Doesn’t even matter anymore. Things changes since then” 

“Hmmph... At least if she knows, you two might still be able to work it out”

“Work it out about what?”

“Come on Sojung. I know you still have feelings for her. Isn’t that the reason why you’re not in any relationship since you two broke up?” 

Sojung chuckles

“Love hurts, Jiyeon. Maybe that’s the reason why I choose not to fall in love after her”

 

Things might be different if only SinB knew why Sojung choose Eunha over her. It’s hard, when you’re in debt with someone’s family who helped you to be who you’re back then. Getting well known in the music industry from the help of Eunha’s grandmother, who sponsored her in every aspect so Sojung can be one of the best pianist during her time. Winning international competitions one after another. But that’s not the only reason why she had to choose Eunha that time. Sojung came from a broken family, her brother kept on gambling and owed peoples money, her mom kept on asking money from Sojung to pay her brother’s debt, to the point Sojung stop contacting them when she went overseas. But when she came back home, she found out, Director Jung, even Eunha, gave money to Sojung’s family to pay the debt they got themselves in. You see, SinB knew Sojung grew up under Director Jung’s sponsorship but she didn’t knew the story behind it. Why? Because at that time, Sojung didn’t want to make herself looked like someone SinB couldn’t lean on too.

 

*****

 

“Got all the photos you needed?” SinB who’s been following Sojung around asks when Sojung finally puts her camera down

“Emm” Sojung nods “Wanna see?”

“Sure” 

Sojung passes her camera to SinB and let the latter browse through the gallery.

“Perfect” SinB says when she returns the camera to Sojung “But, you didn’t take any photos of people?”

“Emm. I don’t. I never did” Sojung continues to wipe her lens 

“Why don’t you?”

“There’s no one I want to take a photo off” Sojung leers her eyes to SinB and forms a tiny smile

“Hmm? Why? Is there any criteria need to be filled in to be captured by your lens?”

“Uhmm... I’m afraid there is” 

“May I know what is it?”

Sojung doesn’t answer SinB immediately but instead she points her lens towards SinB’s direction as if she’s planning to take a picture of the latter, her finger is waiting to press the shutter

“Someone I wanted to fall in love with” She says as she removes her finger from the shutter and puts down her camera.

Her action that leaves SinB with a thousand different thoughts and questions.

 

SinB decides to stay at a nearby cafe while waiting for Sojung strolls around the area to take more photos that she might needed. Instead of writing in her notebook, SinB takes out her phone and opens her gallery. She browse through the photo of Sojung she secretly took just then when Sojung didn’t pay attention to her. Her lips curves a little. To her, Sojung is still the same, her smile, her laugh, her tones, her words, but perhaps, she looks much happier now than she was before. She has a lot of questions to ask Sojung but she’s waiting for the right moment. Sojung is still treating her as a stranger although not completely but never once Sojung brings up their past encounters. 

 

As Sojung stroll around the area, she found herself standing in front of a vintage arcade. Right at that moment, a couple come out, with one piggybacking the other. 

 

“Hey, Eunbi, babe?”

“Hmm?” 

“Wanna bet on something?” Sojung brings the two of them to a stop in front of an arcade

“Are you sure you won’t regret it?” SinB starts to smirk “You know I played games on a daily basis right?”

“I got nothing to lose even if I lost the match, don’t I?” Sojung smiles cunningly before she pulls SinB inside the arcade.

And just as expected, Sojung lost at all games they played. So she has to fulfill SinB’s wishes. 

“Do I really have to piggyback you till your apartment?” Sojung pretends to whine 

“What happened to your nothing to lose even if you lost the match?” SinB slips her tongue out before she hops onto Sojung’s back without warning 

“Hmm...” 

“What? Why?” 

“Nothing. Feels like you’re getting lighter”

“Is that supposed to be sarcastic or?” 

“I’m being serious. Have you been skipping meals Eunbi?” 

SinB couldn’t answer, Sojung catches her red handed.

“Grad school entrance got the best of you, hmm?”

“Kinda” SinB tightens her hug “The chamber too”

“It’ll be tougher in the future. But you really shouldn’t skip any meals, Eunbi. Remember what happened last time?” 

“I’m sorry...” SinB lowers her tone.

“If you’re sorry then...” Sojung points towards her cheek, tries to be sneaky 

“Heyyy, who’s wishes are supposed to be fulfilled?” 

“Told you I’ve nothing to lose even if I lost the game” Sojung continues to point to her cheek. Doesn’t seems like she’ll give up anytime soon. 

“Why am I so madly in love with you?” SinB whines before she lands a soft kiss against Sojung’s cheek 

“Love you too, Eunbi” 

 

“There you are” SinB’s voice washes away the memory she’s reminiscing.

Sojung turns herself around, facing the latter who’s a meter away from her.

Instead of saying anything to SinB, Sojung continues to standstill, her eyes never once falter away from the latter. 

 

“Should I tell her?” 

“How I wish we’re still together?” 

“That she’s still the one I love?” 

 

SinB notices the place they are standing in front at. Not the same place but close enough. Their first official date. How could she forget? And from the way Sojung is looking at her, she knows, she’s not the only one who’s feeling the way she currently is.

 

*****

 

“Still up for a shot of coffee?” 

 

“You must be glad that I’m your bestfriend huh?” Jiyeon comes with 2 cans of hot coffee. 

“Always” Sojung smiles. 

Jiyeon knows her the best. Only by listening the first word that came out from the moment Jiyeon answered her phone call, the latter knew something went wrong.

“What happened today?” 

“Hmm...” Sojung takes a sip of the coffee wetting her lips “Should I just give up?”

“You guys fought?”

Sojung shakes her head

“She rejected you?”

“Nope...” Sojung releases a deep sigh “She’s someone’s else now”

“Ehh? How did you know?”

“She came to pick

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter